Smartsheet

Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an intuitive online project management and collaboration tool. It has a familiar spreadsheet-like interface, coupled with file sharing & workflow.

Work for Smartsheet?

Smartsheet review by User in Higher Education
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Smartsheet
Smartsheet review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

What Project Management solution do you use?

Smartsheet review by Betty D.
Betty D.

"An elegant collaboration software much more than those already on the market"

What do you like best?

In the company for which I work, I wanted to follow up on certain projects, of which I was under my tutelage, since it was scheduled to be delivered within a period of 4 months, they recommended this software to me, and its interface is incredible, the way present the projects through templates, allows other colleagues to make their respective revisions at the same time, as if we were working in person, it is incredible, I like it because it includes a calendar for one to be able to schedule to work online and know how they go the advances and be able to deliver reports on time, its cost is not so high, and I was surprised by its support, I got a very good attention, efficient and in a very short time.

What do you dislike?

When I synchronize it with my mail, what I try to start session usually lasts a lot in loading, Smartsheet is a very large software, so it would be spectacular not to invade it from publicity, maybe that is the problem for which it takes a long time to respond to the start of session.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make a creation of projects in real time with this wonderful application, it is spectacular, it will help you to reduce costs and expenses but above all you will save yourself a lot of time, it is the best you can use for project management.

I collaborate a lot in the synchronization and management of several projects that were under my tutelage, it helped me to evaluate them in real time, and deliver them in less than the stipulated time, leading to a higher level, in project management.

Smartsheet review by Sofia Lucia S.
Sofia Lucia S.

"excellent option for project management"

What do you like best?

is a tool of great help for project management, especially because it facilitates collaboration in real time, which makes it a good option since this feature together with the different integrated functions allow to obtain very good results before planning, development , administration and absolute control of the projects in management that are desired. It is also attractive software in terms of its implementation and use from mobile devices and tablets because it allows access anywhere and anytime, without the need to be seated in front of a desk.

What do you dislike?

the only thing that at times caused me frustration was the fact that it does not offer a vision or comparative sample of the changes that are generated in the Gantt chart, otherwise I have no complaints about this useful and efficient tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it because it is an excellent and optimal option for the management of projects, starting from that it allows to save time of work that with other applications we needed to invest, also personally since its implementation I consider that it is the best mix that exists between different tools that I have previously known as Excel, Microsoft Project, Survey Monkey and others, because with the design of Gantt diagrams it takes even more advantages, as well as the opportunity to automate requests for updates, tasks, alerts and reminders of great importance.

is an application that has allowed to reinforce the collaborative work in teams that have a large number of members, also becoming a tool of great power for the organization of tasks as we can create a list, also manage in a more structured and efficient way of customers, sales, processes or business events of the company. as an end user it offers great options in its toolbar that allows us to present our work in a clear and simple way. Among the problems I have solved is to create a template from scratch, customized according to the needs and objectives, because in other opportunities had to work with predetermined templates that sometimes did not meet what was sought.

Smartsheet review by Joey R.
Joey R.

"You will drink the Smartsheet koolaid and love it!"

What do you like best?

SmartSheet is like a cross between Excel, MS Project, Survey Monkey, SharePoint and Outlook. You are only limited by your imagination as to design and flexibility. The return on investment is crazy. I originally used it for one performance system project that would take 3 full days to prepare. Using SmartSheet, I can now do the same process in 4 hours start to finish with better accuracy and more reports including dashboards for real time data visualization and sharing with unlimited partners.

What do you dislike?

Formal training is a little costly - and it is cloud based so there are connectivity issues on occasion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The beauty and time savings of SmartSheet comes in to play when you think out the entire process before designing a new sheet. Using the reports, dashboards and the Actions & Alerts will significantly increase your productivity. It is not Access so you can only use it for small databases (sheet row limit is 5000)

We use SmartSheet for project management, data collection, grant reporting, Ticket tracking, embedding into websites, new employee orientation checklists, and more

Smartsheet review by Martin R.
Martin R.

"A sleek platform for managing projects and data collaboratively"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to work on and save sheets in real-time. Multiple users can log in and update a variety of data sets. We can view and update the status for particular tasks and view our sheets in several different views, such as Gantt, calendar and card. It's great to be able to generate charts from our data that can be used for presentations and other business purposes. There are many templates that we can use to get us started on sheets.

What do you dislike?

The price is a bit high per user. I don't think it's really worth it for smaller businesses with few employees. The overall platform isn't difficult to use, but going to that next level and really leveraging Smartsheet's capabilities can be complicated and confusing. The user interface isn't bad, but I feel like there could be spacing improvements to make it more user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're working with a large group and/or have to manage lots of data and projects activities, I think Smartsheet is a great solution to keep everyone involved and up to date. The pricing may not be worth it if you plan to use basic spreadsheet functionality that you can get from other lower cost spreadsheet applications.

Smartsheet has been a solid platform for keeping everyone in tuned to project activities and deadlines. Rather than sending emails around, we can use the Smartsheet platform to connect to project data in real time and get projects moving forward more quickly and efficiently. Most of the people I work with interact with the Smartsheet platform often. I feel that it gets people motivated to finish tasks and is a good accountability tool.

Smartsheet review by Beth B.
Beth B.

"Smartsheet is Amazing!"

What do you like best?

If Microsoft Project and Excel had a baby, it might look like Smartsheet. All of the spreadsheet functionality, but with so much more! You can have all team members edit/update/view timelines, project plans, tasks, etc. without having a license. This allows for full collaboration and visibility. You can also automate update requests, alerts, and reminders. And, you can build out dashboards with real-time data.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet is still growing, so there is additional functionality that it could use. If you want to do a lot of sorting and filtering on data, it's still easier to export to Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I whole-heartedly recommend Smartsheet. The collaborative capabilities and dashboarding are phenomenal. The functionality is very intuitive and easy to use. Unless you need extreme resource tracking, Smartsheet is much easier and better to use.

We are able to provide project oversight as well as portfolio management using Smartsheet. We have dashboards with real-time data available to all of our executives down to our individual contributors. We have saved a huge amount of time by tracking all of our projects in Smartsheet because we have all of the data in one place that is always up-to-date.

Smartsheet review by Jesse B.
Jesse B.

"Great PM tool!! Simple, Effective and not overpriced!"

What do you like best?

Smart sheet is a great simple PM tool for task management, milestones and road-mapping. There are clean integrations to Microsoft Office and Teams. The alert system also works very well and you have the ability to integrate with AD and JIRA!

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet models itself after Microsoft Office Project. It gets about 60% of the way there. There is a limit to the customizable fields and sometime the advanced options in MS project are just what you need. If you live in the PM world every day and MS project may be better, but if you come and go and manage only a few routine efforts. This is enough!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Need to add more custom tools and continue to allow for custom calendars, dependancies, labeling and predecessors.

Solving PM tracking for teams who do just a few project but are not full PM's. This tool is a great middle ground and easy to understand.

Smartsheet review by Jeff N.
Jeff N.

"Excel on steroids. However, Smartsheet has turned into Slowsheet."

What do you like best?

End-user development. This is an online spreadsheet, a 21st Century version of Excel on steroids. As a spreadsheet it allows very flexible form & function, the most flexible I've ever seen in an app. I'm also impressed by how well this company executes its vision. It's solid. I've only needed tech support once and I got a reply within 3 hours.

What do you dislike?

Slowest app to load, sometimes takes several reloads for app to become available. Slower than any other app I use. Downtime for maintenance. Have to log back in after maintenance. Adertisement banners appearing across top of page more and more. Can't merge cells. Did I mention it's s-l-o-o-o-o-w?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Airtable as well.

Many. Smartsheet is a smart online spreadsheet, so I use it anywhere I need to create custom tables, lists, or spreadsheets.

Smartsheet review by Myriam G.
Myriam G.

"SmartSheet is in fact pretty smart"

What do you like best?

You can really choose how you wish to organize your content. If you like setting priorities, or colour coding, or different views compared from list views to card views for status.

I like how you can access it at home, because we often have a good work from home policy.

It is clear and obvious as to what the priorities are when classifying the importance.

We can also customize it to how one individual prefers, so everyone can set their own layout as they wish.

What do you dislike?

It's not very visual, which is my only complaint. I am a very visual person and would prefer to have some hierarchy in terms color contrast, playing with type weights etc. Also it does not update in real time you must remember to refresh to see changes. You can see when other people are viewing the sheet - like Google Docs, and your work is saved even if you refresh after, but we tend to write similar comments and then delete after because we have the same thought.

Collaborative project management, people can add in their current tasks and comment on others. We realized that the benefits are that we can work on SmartSheet outside of our company network, and is accessible anywhere with wifi.

Smartsheet review by Leigh Ann L.
Leigh Ann L.

"Takes organization and planning to new heights"

What do you like best?

The best part about Smartsheet is the options of sheets. Gannt charts are the most traditional way to manage a project but with Smartsheet you are not limited to that. Card view makes for a great meeting.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet can be very complex if you don't have any training with it. Sometimes, it feels like you need a class just to be able to use it.

Smartsheet has taken my project management to a new and more visible level. I can show others what I am doing and they can collaborate to the level that i allow them to. It is good to get feedback from others and to be able to see just how much they have accomplished. Helps delegate tasks in a way that everyone involved knows just how far everyone else has gotten with their tasks.

Smartsheet review by Megan G.
Megan G.

"Amazing tool if you manage a team that handles multiple projects!"

What do you like best?

What I love best about Smartsheet is that I can create dashboards and reports to see all sheets at a glance. I have five direct reports who manage at least 10-15 sheets at a time, so this makes it very easy to keep up with all moving parts. I also like that our account manager is reachable when we have questions or would like a demo on certain features or functions we are not using, but plan to.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that I dislike any part of Smartsheet right now. I only see benefits. I wish that there was more info on how we can better integrate it with some of our APIs like SFDC, Cvent or Marketo. There might be that info out there, but I am not aware of it or not looking in the right spot.

Communication with multiple team members on multiple projects. Live, real-time updates. Easy formulas for expense reporting and tracking. We have also seamlessly integrated this with American Express Travel as a way of eliminating multiple email threads daily. It makes us more efficient.

Smartsheet review by Joshua M.
Joshua M.

"Smartsheets is an Incredibly Efficient Cloud-Based Project Management Tool"

What do you like best?

I really like how fast smartsheets is as a service. As a cloud-based platform, smartsheets is incredibly easy to learn, effective to manage, and easy to integrate into other business services.

What do you dislike?

The column and row limits are by far the most taxing part about smartsheets. One can quite quickly run out of space and need to create a new sheet to connect with the first smartsheet in order to continue working effectively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheets is a fantastic cloud-based project management tool that enables users to easily create effective project plans. I would keep the row and column limits in mind when deciding how to create sheets.

Project management is significantly more effective with this platform. Our team has significantly enjoyed how easy smartsheets is to use.

Smartsheet review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Smartsheet is great, but only for certain use cases"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Smartsheet provides alerts, approvals & actions workflows built into the application. This is handy and can be established in templates to provide some consistency. I'm also a fan of the Charts implementation. If only the Dashboards were better they'd really shine.

What do you dislike?

The project management functionality is honestly woeful. Before it can be considered as a true Project & Portfolio Management tool, there are some fundamental gaps that need to be addressed. At this stage, if you are running more than a few projects, have professional PMs in your employ or have a global team, then look elsewhere.

Locales are practically useless, as everything is treated as UTC. If any changes are made (e.g. new sheet, row, or updated cell), depending on where you are it can show up as the previous (or even next day) because it assumes you are at (UTC 0). I'm in UTC +10 so if I make changes at 8 AM, it's recorded as yesterday. Not good enough for project management or any reporting I've ever been involved in.

Smartsheet also ignores anything other than US date formats in some situations. Even if I set up my profile (and locale), it sometimes still assumes that 9/5/18 means 5th September, instead of 9th May. You can see how that would be a problem in reports :-(

Throw in the inability to set project baselines, associate more than one resource to a task, create programs of work without having to reconfigure the very expensive Control Center add-on and the need to occasionally manually refresh dashboard data and it's certainly not a product I'd recommend to anyone looking for a serious project management tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely review the Smartsheet Community website before going ahead. Read what others are saying, what is missing, the direction Smartsheet are headed in and weigh this up against what you're looking to get out of a tool like this.

Smartsheet is embedded in our company. There are many people using Smartsheet to record and disseminate a lot of data, so it's difficult to quantify or qualify realised value. But I really do not see anything that could not be accomplished with Office 365, Power BI and SharePoint (which we already have). Throw in Project Server (about the same cost as Smartsheet Control Center) and you have a much better solution.

Smartsheet review by Alicia V.
Alicia V.

"If you use shared spreadsheets in your company, you need SmartSheet"

What do you like best?

I looove that multiple people can be in a spreadsheet at the same time, updating their respective pieces, without having to save and close every time someone else needs to access it. Plus, if you're in it at the same time as someone else and they update it, it notifies you so that you can refresh and see what's new!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I dislike about it, yet. It's easy to use, intuitive, user-friendly, and an excellent tool for our business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company uses spreadsheets for anything, I highly recommend SmartSheet. It's collaborative, real-time functionality is a must for any business!

My company is global, so SmartSheet allows team members all across the world to utilize the same data. It's a great tool, especially, for tracking workflow steps that many people are involved in. We can get on a conference call and review the status of things while anyone can simultaneously be updating it as we talk.

Smartsheet review by Bill H.
Bill H.

"Ultra User Friendly"

What do you like best?

Ultra user friendly - very quick to set up new solutions and on-board new users - any one can use it. Collect data via simple webforms in a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, its 100% fit for purpose. Would be nice if there was the option to link sheets as relational databases. Like most software vendors they quietly move features up the subscription ladder, but its basically good value.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go - a ten sheet subscription is not expensive and you upgrade or downgrade any time.

Smartsheet is an ultra user friendly tool to plug gaps in existing software and processes. Even if you intend to fix those gaps its so quick to set up and on-board new users that it makes an excellent interim solution. As permanent solutions we have a company diary on smartsheet, use it for KPI tracking and for project to-do lists. Using it as a personal to-do list with the mobile app is v good.

Smartsheet review by John B.
John B.

"Smartsheet boasts our productivity"

What do you like best?

We like how easy it is to share documents with our team and the ability to access the information from any device (laptop, phone, tablet) and from anywhere. Excel and Project files import seamlessly and are simple to use.

What do you dislike?

The ability to format documents isn't quite where we'd like it to be. It has good aspects, such as conditional formatting, etc., but some of the more advanced formatting and the ability to filter around these is lacking. Graphing is not where it should be either. Also, we like Excel's format of multiple tabs in a workbook. There is probably similar functionality in Smartsheet using workspaces, etc. - need to look into that more!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use and reap the benefits of collaboration - take some of the training though. There is a lot of functionality built in and it isn't always obvious!

Project tracking is great - easy to set up and use. It doesn't have the industrial strength of MS Project but, in some ways that is the advantage. It is intuitive to use and easy to navigate. We track consulting projects, internal projects, and client deliverables - really saves us a lot of time.

Smartsheet review by Chase M.
Chase M.

"Smartsheet is a competent resource that can be used by large and small businesses alike"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease in collaboration. We work on several large construction projects and the collaboration aspect has helped our productivity. There are many different file formats that can be added to "Workspace" which is helpful when sharing with multiple departments. They seem to constantly be updating the software with new features which is encouraging to us.

What do you dislike?

Licenses are too expensive for the product. We also utilize a Corporate Google Drive with unlimited storage. To me, collaborating on the Google drive are more functional due the vast array of apps. For our company's purposes, it seems to me that this product could easily be replaced by a cheaper productivity software (via the Google apps store).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is simple and easy to use. It does have limitations on what it can do and can be irritating when a large number of individuals are contributing the same document. We are comparing this software to Google that updates in real time with multiple users contributing to the same document. This would be a very helpful feature to add to this product.

We are a charter school district with 74 campuses. We have several large projects occurring at the same time. Smartsheet is largely what our construction and real estate teams utilize as a productivity software. We have been using the software for 2 years and the departments that currently use Smartsheet on a daily basis are happy with the results.

Smartsheet review by Administrator

"Easy organization!"

What do you like best?

What I like best about smartsheet is that you can create several sheets with as many details added to helping your company keep things well organized. At firs I was a little hesitant to use as I am not a fan of excel, but this is WAY better! I can set myself to get email notifications when something is updated or reminders and can add columns needed to help me know where a project stands. We share our sheet with our sub contractors and we wouldn't be so efficient without it!

What do you dislike?

I do not think I have found something too big in disliking because it has worked well for me. I would only say that it is minimized in the number of admins you can have, but not a bid deal at all. The notifications as well could use a bit more details such as who it was posted by and exactly what column was updated (still overall I have set settings to highlight what column was updated)

We have resolved delays such as seeing at what stage do we age more in. We have been able to establish accurate goals for our install time. Smarthseet has also helped us continue growing as a company and keep up with the data entered and helps store completed jobs as well.

Smartsheet review by Delores A.
Delores A.

"Excellent Project Management Tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Smartsheet is how easy it is to share single sheets. In my line of work, I often have a need to share single spreadsheets with stakeholders, and with Smartsheet it is so simple. While other applications offer simply sharing options, they don't include all of the functionality of Smartsheet, and this is what sets it apart. Also, I really appreciate the card view in Smartsheet. In the past, I used Trello pretty exclusively, and when I switched to Smartsheet then there was nothing like that. The card view is great for projects where we use Agile.

What do you dislike?

The main problem with Smartsheet is that there is no real-time data sync. If you want to save something, you need to physically click Save. In the past, this has cost me several hours worth of work, as I did not click Save before exiting the sheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take some time to get to know all of the features of Smartsheet. There is definitely a learning curve, and I don't believe that all of the videos and other online resources really give you the full picture. If you have the opportunity to enroll in some formal Smartsheet training, you should take that opportunity.

We are using Smartsheet to organize and track the time we spend on development projects. In the past, we have struggled to answer questions about how long our products take to develop, and organizing our work in Smartsheet is giving us a clearer understanding of how long things take. Plus, we always know where we stand with projects, and so do our supervisors.

Smartsheet review by Laura C.
Laura C.

"Smartsheet helps my team keep our projects on track. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet allows for me to keep track of my individual schedule in a very clear way. I love the calendar feature that lets me see what my responsibilities are for the week. It's also easy to see each project's timeline & who is working on it at any given time.

What do you dislike?

On my personal calendar, if a project is not completed, but I'm viewing the next week, I am not notified that I have an overdue task. I wish there was a better notification system for when something is overdue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Smartsheet - it's very easy to use & I've found it extremely helpful, especially the personalized calendar feature.

I work for a publishing company & there are many people involved on each project. Smartsheet allows us to manage each book project as a group.

Smartsheet review by sansern k.
sansern k.

"It's smart as it's named. Great for a company to work faster with great productivity."

What do you like best?

It's make the communication via the team achieve the goal via the company plan. Which is actually really hard to find one to compare with. Especially for an owner of the company having everything run through with progress and capable to be ackonwledge that the task has been done by right person. I beleive that's what define team. And that's where Smartsheet stand out for me.

What do you dislike?

MAny main funtion which should have been reqursted for quite a long time which should have been on the top list still on the roadmap for too long such as Vlookup combination, timestamp and mutiple answers from a form. Which somehow make the SS sounds not complete. And it's very hard at the beging if you didn't have a patient enough or didn't have a great logical mind set; This is not for your company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More of the basic request need to be done soon. As I felt you guys want hook up with the lager group company instead of the every personal use which will then be a better, form my perspective on the return customer.

Classic case for every company I believe the folllow up provess and the lack of communication is one of the key thing. Team need this improvement and this has been improve since using. Along with transfering data from team to team.

Smartsheet review by Ishan R.
Ishan R.

"Smart Sheets Review"

What do you like best?

The features are easy to use and it is good to have simplicity in learning. Any new employee can be taught this software very quickly. Also, The project management is quite simple with the Smart Sheets software as it contains necessary details like dependencies, duration of work and assignments. Besides, their sharing feature is absolutely awesome. It allows to share and get feedback to many others which is very important in staying updated.

What do you dislike?

The cost of using Smart Sheets for smaller firm is too high. Also, I have doubts about the authentication and security. Moreover, it is less functional than MS Project and other competitors. But, they are on a good track.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it free for small companies or less costly

It is useful for our day to day meetings, keeping track of project actives, deliverable, and milestones. Also, it is helpful in sharing as it is online.

Smartsheet review by Alexandra S.
Alexandra S.

"Great for organizing spreadsheets and sharing with team"

What do you like best?

I really like that the sheets in Smartsheet are treated like spreadsheets and that you can select multiple line items at a time to copy elsewhere or to even figure out the sum of numbers.

I also like that I can make comments on a line item and email it to a coworker so that they can follow what I am referring to. I also use the "reminder" function on line items and appreciate the emails reminder it sends at the time I specify.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when multiple people are viewing a sheet at the same time, the changes are not real time. The changes don't "save" until you click "save".

It seems like Smartsheets is always scheduling "offline" maintenance which hinders users from using it during that time. Luckily, they usually do this on weekends.

The sheets can sometimes take a little time to load so I usually have multiple tabs opened with different Smartsheets so that I can easily click back and forth to view the information quicker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for tracking numbers and organizing other information. But not a great tool for team collaboration or workflows.

Ease of tracking sales and using the category functions to better sort through specific events. It is great to use as a database of clients and their contact information. Our team benefits from using the comments and alert functions to communicate with coworkers or just as reminders to ourselves.

Smartsheet review by Nate R.
Nate R.

"One of the Best PM Platforms Out There"

What do you like best?

The UI follows that of an Excel document, which made adoption easy for those of us used to and fond of using spreadsheets. The platform makes usually complex spreadsheet function extremely easy. In general, solves almost every problem that Excel presents (including versioning and collaboration), and with new improvements to support Agile management techniques and constantly new templates, Smartsheet is a must-have.

What do you dislike?

There are still some functions that had to be done back in Excel, and reporting functions could use continued improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is worth trying for any type of project management or collaboration need. I've used it for software development, business development, and donor management. New features make it useful for Agile project management, but it's also very easy to setup traditional Gantt reporting too. Hands down one of my favorite platforms to use professionally.

Project Management, Business Development, Data Management. We saw increased productivity and collaboration across all three domains, with particularly good benefits for project management.

Smartsheet review by User

"A collaborative work management platform that is highly customizable"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet has many dynamic fields that allow for robust project management capabilities. We're able to smoothly integrate third-party applications and keep track of multiple projects in one place. We can create Gantt charts that allow us to visually track project activities and goals. We can work with formulas that can be used for quick data processing and analysis. Smartsheet's collaboration features allow us to streamline our work flow, suggestions, feedback and approval process.

What do you dislike?

The per using pricing is not something I'm a big fan of. The overall pricing is quite a bit more than some common spreadsheet and collaboration platforms. Using Smartsheet at first may require some novice users to get a hang of it and to figure out how to best leverage it's features and capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not familiar with or don't have a solid background in dealing with project management and/or collaboration software, I'd recommend checking out a few videos that can walk your through Smartsheet's actual functionality. Since the price is a bit high, you should first see if it's a platform that is suitable for your particular project needs.

We use Smartsheet to plot out project tasks and goals. We can keep track of the status of various tasks and allow users to add notes and comments related to all project activities. The charts that we generate from Smartsheet can be printed out and placed in a conference room to give everyone an overall snapshot of our project's progress at given intervals. Smartsheet has been a solid tool for managing multiple projects and multiple people.

Smartsheet review by Jess J.
Jess J.

"Multifaceted tool close to being a wholepackage software -- intuitive sheets, calendars, priorities"

What do you like best?

You can create smart dashboards and calendars informed by color-coded priorities. Excel-like sheets that don't get sluggish. Preset rules for automated workflows. The document upload function meets the expectation and overdelivers in the sense that you can connect to a good range of applications in order to create one location for project documentation. The Gantt charts for interactive timeline - the creation of milestones and dependencies is a winner.

What do you dislike?

I'd like an affordable business plan for solo freelancers, rather than a license with a minimum number of users. The business plan offers the automation and dashboards, and great reporting which is what I need, while the individual plan underdeliveres.

Having struggled with Excel and Numbers slowing down considerably as I tend to use them heavily for text rather than numbers, I was delighted to come across Smartsheet. I was relived to see that importing from Excel didn't give hiccups. You have several options for displaying the content, creating dashboards and calendars, and color-coding the priorities, and you can even create milestones and dependencies to feed into an interactive project timeline. Plenty of choice for visualing your project, from Gantt views for timelines, to card for Kaban boards, or grids to organize tasks. Being able to create preset rules to trigger automated workflows is super handy especially when repetitive tasks and actions become tedious. The interface performs well on mobile and you can attach files, or collaborate or make approvals on the go. It gives the team better control and stewardship over resources as you can visualise everyone's workload. If one makes changes, those are trackable, and can be filtered to access easily.

Smartsheet review by Pradeep H.
Pradeep H.

"Smart tool for research project management!!"

What do you like best?

Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what. Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Smartsheet is having a wonderful user-interface experience and has a good tutorial feature as well.

What do you dislike?

Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes. There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use this wonderful software. It will ease your research tasks and helps to manage research projects effectively.

I am using this software for research purpose only. I have not used for business.

Smartsheet review by Caitlin K.
Caitlin K.

"Great organizational tool for various needs!"

What do you like best?

I love using Smartsheet to keep inter-departmental communication wide open in my organization. I manage email marketing, but other departments (development, outreach, audience education, School) all use email as well. I love keeping track of who's sending emails & when; this way, it's way easier to understand our unsubscribe rates.

What do you dislike?

I think it's a little simple and could be more user-friendly. I work in a non-profit where my coworkers and I really don't have time to learn a new software. It's also tough to share sheets with less tech-savvy co-workers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

An initial tutorial to new users is a very good idea. I wish that I'd been trained on Smartsheet's intricacies, and I'd venture to guess my co-workers would love a functionality training period.

It's super helpful for keeping us on deadline with our direct mail and email campaigns. We use the color-coding feature that makes our rows turn a very threatening red when we're behind schedule, and it works very well :) I'm also using it every time I need to create a signup sheet. Those lil checkboxes are a real charm when I need to assign different tasks to different people.

Smartsheet review by Matthew V.
Matthew V.

"Smartsheet is VERY user friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that because it is based in excel, you can still use formulas, but the extra functionality makes it even better

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike, they are working on being able to assign two owners to a task or event whereas right now you can only assign one - when that gets implemented, it will be hard to find much that we dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anybody considering smartsheet should talk to a current user and go through the demo process with smartsheet to see what the capabilities are and how easy it is to implement and use

We are finding new problems to solve everyday. The first problem we solved was getting our field employees moved off of paper and to electronic project management - all information at their fingertips. And then we built reports on our main sheet so that we can make sure we can get to the right information at the right time. Since then we have started using it for recruiting, marketing, budgeting, business development, and we also are tracking safety, training, and employee development specifically using the web form functionality.

Smartsheet review by Amanda W.
Amanda W.

"Easy-to-use and Efficient Software for Team Collaboration on Project Sheets"

What do you like best?

I like how managing huge projects becomes much easier when Smartsheet is being used to manage all the small tasks. I especially like how you can see who is viewing the same spreadsheet as you at the same time, and how you can see that someone has made a change to the sheet you are viewing right when they do so.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that one someone makes a change on a sheet that someone else is viewing, that this change could be seen live - as in one viewer could see another user typing and changing a particular cell. This idea stems from how easy and collaborative Google sheets, docs, presentations can be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is a very useful tool in managing any size project you should have. It's very collaborative in that if two people are viewing the same sheet, they will be able to see each other viewing the sheet. Additionally, if one person was to make a change to the sheet and hit save, the other viewer would receive a notification of the other person doing so. My only complaint is that these changes are not live - meaning that they do not show up on another person's screen as the other person is typing. However, this is still a software I would recommend.

We are managing huge projects by using Smartsheet. Smartsheet allows us to make as many smaller tasks within a bigger task, making Smartsheet a very powerful tool for business professionals.

Smartsheet review by Samantha O.
Samantha O.

"Share Knowledge Easily"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using Smartsheet because it allows you easily share information and create a database to pull from. It is much like excel and you can even import and export excel files. It lets you create a sheet custom to what you need and can share that information with people as fellow contributors or just a user getting the information.

What do you dislike?

It is not always intuitive, sometimes the headers are hard to adjust. When you pull excel files the formatting can be a little off sometimes. The report builders are awesome since you can pull specific information from multiple places but they can be a bit tricky to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like that its so easy to share lots of important information . I can track where inventory is on the road all the time.

Being able to share information in multiple cities/countries.

Smartsheet review by Yohan A.
Yohan A.

"Hojas de calculo que sirven para algo mas que sumar"

What do you like best?

Excelente herramienta para seguimiento de proyectos, permite llevar control de avance de tareas, asignarlas a distintas personas y saber si las terminaron o no. Las opciones de agregar comentarios y subir archivos son geniales, en mi opinión la mejor herramienta para control de proyectos que existe actualmente,

What do you dislike?

La opción de recibir alertas cuando se realizan actualizaciones es un poco confusa, las notificaciones muchas veces no se entienden muy bien.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Se debe conocer bien la herramienta y su uso para poder sacarle el máximo provecho, es importante que todos lo usuarios que vayan a interactuar con ella tengan la destreza necesaria para explicar bien sus tareas y asignarlas de forma adecuada así como indicar cuando completan las que les son asignados a ellos.

Seguimiento y desarrollo de proyectos para implementacion de tiendas de e-commerce, desde el levantamiento de datos hasta la salida en linea, ademas para asignacion de tareas de desarrollo y soporte. Se usa para control y seguimiento de la realizacion de tareas por parte de los distintos miembros del equipo asi como para la realizacion de revisiones y control de calidad en sitios web.

Smartsheet review by Shesha K.
Shesha K.

"Love this product!"

What do you like best?

Excellent reporting opportunities, collaboration is fantastic, capability to create sites. Fairly easy to use, there are many public forums dedicated to answering questions along with the SmartSheet Community forum. Great interface with other products, Excel, Outlook Etc. Ability to collaborate with colleagues even if they are not licensed users. Pretty much all the functionality of Excel and MORE! It really makes the conditional formatting a heck of a lot easier!

What do you dislike?

They kind of get you on the "plans", for instance if you don't have a certain level plan you don't have access to all of the features. You are also only allowed so many sheets on the lower level plan. You can not update/change a template you have to re save as new.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is not necessarily a replacement for Excel, but pretty darn close! It offers so much more, it is a happy blend of MS Project and Excel in my opinion, with a smaller price tag than MS Project.

Gathering Data, tracking events, and overall project management.

Smartsheet review by Matthew W.
Matthew W.

"A Hybrid of Excel and Project"

What do you like best?

The user interface has a good balance between simplicity and user control. It allows the user to control to the level that they want to and then compensates accordingly. It can provide a very simple user experience for someone who just wants something simple and straightforward but can also provide a lot of control for a user that needs customization or requires more power.

I also appreciate the collaborative functions that are built into the program.

What do you dislike?

There are always trade-offs to be made. By creating a flexible user experience, the program is not really suitable for the extreme power users who need complete control and would like to implement complex functions into their project scheduling. A program like Excel would be better for this kind of a user.

Additionally, the collaboration tools are nice, but they are only really helpful if the entire team buys into using them. They do not really provide a great deal of us if few or only part of the team is using them.

Project management

Project scheduling

Smartsheet review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Solid App For Ad-Hoc Project Planning"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using this for quick and dirty ad-hoc timeline setup. It is aesthetically appealing and allows for smaller project and product roadmap creation cleanly and carefully. As well, we can very easily ensure that all is forecasted and managed without issue. The largest need we had for this was resource forecasting, and the use of the software for "what-if" scenarios was phenomenal. We would love to use this more; however, the difficulty of initial project setup limits that a bit.

What do you dislike?

Would be great if it didn't have the learning curve there. The goal here is to ensure that we can get things done.Also, I would prefer a less aggressive onboarding process (i.e., please give me the ability to skip the onboarding at this time to ensure that I can more easily just jump in and use the product. Finally, the setup of projects is a bit time-consuming and without a proper governance and strategy could pose issues for smaller teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Solid project management and forecasting tool. Would use for most projects at this point. Well done there.

Quick ad-hoc project management and robust visualizations for team and task management capabilities. We have also seen some of our traditional PM experiences more quickly implemented with the tool for collaboration with clients. We have also seen stellar ROI once we involved out external customers in our SmartSheet at the project level (using it more for dashboarding that anything so they can quickly see status).

Smartsheet review by User

"I wish I had time to learn every feature"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is an amazing product. It's so feature-rich that I'm constantly learning how to better use it. Its a great tool for communication and team collaboration.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I've found about Smartsheet that I truly dislike is with notifications. It will send you email notifications when edits to your sheet are made (cool), but it will send you email notifications when you edit (annoying...I know what I did). I've searched for a way to shut these off and can't figure out how, so I'm guessing thats not a thing.

There are two specific area's I wish Smartsheet would improve in. 1. Better integrations with the sources of my information. I find that I'm constantly copying and pasting details into Smartsheet from other sources. There has to be a better way to reduce all this manual work. 2. A more elegant way to connect sheets. Think more like Microsoft Excel, where you have a workbook and sheets. The collection of documents via folders in Smartsheet isn't as great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At least give it a try to see if it will solve your project communication and collaboration problems. I do suggest spending a little bit of time to learn how to use it to its fullest. The time investment will be well worth it.

Project tracking, communication, and team collaboration.

Smartsheet review by Farid S.
Farid S.

"The Trial Was Very Promising But I Stopped Using it and Forgot About It"

What do you like best?

I trialed Smartsheets' free edition roughly a couple of years ago when testing different platforms for project management solutions. What I liked the most about it was that it was a good alternative to Microsoft Project, at least at a low level; I could easily create gantt charts that could be shared with others online and I even used it for a couple of internal projects.

In other words, I would call this Microsoft Project cloud edition, which I later found out existed, for roughly $10/mo. However, the need for it dwindled and I went back to Microsoft Project's Windows application edition.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit basic and now that Microsoft Project offers an online version, I'm more inclined to give Microsoft another shot because their product is known for being far more robust than Smartsheet, though I wouldn't rule Smartsheet out completely. I suppose you are catering to two different crowds here: your project management experts vs your lower level professionals looking for something basic to get things going without the convolution of MS-Project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Smartsheet a try before moving onto Microsoft Project. I would say that it is a good introductory way to determine whether your teams are ready to move onto further steps of project management.

As I mentioned earlier, I used Smartsheet for smaller projects, specifically for those who required virtual teams who were not used to Microsoft Project. With Smartsheets, I could share the data with them online, rather than have to create reports every time with Microsoft.

Smartsheet review by Sharon K.
Sharon K.

"Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

Pretty simple to use. We used it to consolidate all the different campaigns throughout the year. Can put in notes easily. Sort. Links to the campaigns. Etc.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it as a spreadsheet, like an Excel type of spreadsheet. I still use Excel for most of my spreadsheet type work. So can't say how it is as a heavy duty spreadsheet. Sometimes, though, it loads a bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't used as, e.g., an Excel spreadsheet type spreadsheet, but it is pretty easy to get in there and use as a space for collaboration and get quick and easy updates from team if needed.

Somewhere central to consolidate all the different campaigns for everyone's use and to view. Also to put in comments/notes with quick updates on, e.g., traffic, etc.

Smartsheet review by Sara L.
Sara L.

"Smartsheet is invaluable for managing our clients financial audit prep and workflow."

What do you like best?

Smartsheet looks and acts like Excel, which makes it easy to onboard clients and users.

We have pulled all staff out of emails when conversing with clients and out of Excel for their client checklists. Real-time collaboration has improved our efficiency and stress level! I'm not afraid of small details falling through the cracks and it has made managing remote staff a dream..

What do you dislike?

I wish we could move documents from one row to another.

No Cmd Z to undo.

The app goes down quite a bit, which is worrisome. They have a website to check if there are any issues that we use often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. 30 days free is enough time to get hooked.

CPA firms are simply not stepping up with online solutions for annual "PBC"s (Provided by client audit request lists) As a contracted controller, Smartsheet has enabled me to automate this process from the client side of the table.

Managing my team and each client's outsourced bookkeeping workflow. Engaging the client online has kept "emotions" out of "private" emails and enabled management to get a perfect picture of where a weekly/monthly engagement is and what the problems are

Smartsheet review by User

"This product has saved me an incredible amount of time!"

What do you like best?

Incredible easy to outline specific tasks and deadlines to share with a project team... also incredibly easy to use as a communication tool to senior leaders. Love the dashboard capability that comes with the product.

What do you dislike?

I'm pretty sure I've haven't explored all the functionality that it can do around workflows. Seems like there is more to be found, but you have to go digging for the information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A bit expensive as an alternative to the standard Microsoft Excel, but much more simple to use quickly. Eliminated hours from building excel documents to do the same thing.

Significant help in quickly mapping out and communicating projects with many different interconnecting pieces, and providing some clarity on deadlines to those outside of the core projects. Has saved quite a bit of back and forth communication and meetings.

Smartsheet review by faras k.
faras k.

"One of the best tools to manage multiple projects"

What do you like best?

- history of changes per cell, plus the user who made the change

- multiple views for different purposes

- sharing the sheet with a link to multiple users

- assign and track tasks for multiple people.

- customized notifications

- mobile app is very useful

- time management and cost analysis

What do you dislike?

very few things to dislike about smartsheet, it feels slower when overloaded with data. mobile app view is not easy to look at.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its an amazing tool for tracking huge projects, assets, and simple to do lists

assigning tasks to users, tracking all project under each department, tracking company owned assets.

made an overall sheet that takes data from project sheets and provide an overall view of all projects. created a sheet to assign equipment to employees to better assign work based on who have what.

Smartsheet review by Shalise Q.
Shalise Q.

"Smartsheet- the best collaborative tool I've ever used. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is the tool I've been looking for my whole life but didn't know it existed until I began working at my current company. It's real-time collaboration takes away hundreds of emails, while everyone is able to stay on the same page. It is the first thing I pull up after I open my work email every single day. The notifications and reminders are amazing and make project management so much more streamlined.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I have found limiting on the product apart from certain features I don't have access to because of the type of plan I am on. I was able to go to a training and view and play with these few

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely give it a try. The community aspect on their website is phenomenal, and you can really leverage how you're using it against how others are using it.

Real-time collaboration without multiple emails, reminders for tasks, notifications when items have changed or tasks have been completed or something is overdue.

Smartsheet review by User in Computer Software

"Smartsheet - A smarter way to manage and report both the individual and the team work."

What do you like best?

This tool has a deluge of useful features. Many minute features like inserting image to a cell, incorporating contacts or drop-downs in a cell are very handy and beneficial. The best feature is the team collaboration and it allows users to see the history of individual cells and manage the work in a smarter way.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of formatting options so sometimes it becomes a bit tricky to figure out what a particular formatting means. So there should be view-pane in one side of the screen for displaying the meaning and reference of each and every formatting style. Otherwise, the product has all the necessary and useful features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool has all the features a user can think of. Explore the features of setting reminders, collaborating with the team and setting different permission levels for collaborators. It also gives an option of organizing the work in a hierarchical way. Also explore the option of importing data from other applications. It also gives many templates for creating sheets.

This product helps in work collaboration and is utterly beneficial. It helps in improving the productivity. The notification feature is very useful and advantageous, it gives users the option to select the kind of notification they want to see like mobile, email notification etc. Moreover, different views it offers are also beneficial like the calendar view.

Smartsheet review by Stephanie R.
Stephanie R.

"GREAT, but definitely confusing at times"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that everything is in one place and multiple collaborators can contribute and be informed of exactly what was done within the project.

What do you dislike?

It can be confusing for new users, which means everyone needs training. However, there are a lot of articles and videos on the internet that can help you understand how to use the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is great if you have a project manager that completely understands it's capabilities and teaches their team how to utilize it successfully. Definitely watch YouTube videos that help you better understand how to use the software properly.

Currently utilizing it to evaluate current processes regarding enrollment and retention, which allows multiple people in multiple locations to work together and share various metrics, data, documents, and insight in one central place.

Smartsheet review by Christina O.
Christina O.

"Awesome product for so much more than just project management!"

What do you like best?

There are so many things I could list that I like about SmartSheet, but I will start with versatility. With most project management solutions, they are designed to serve that specific purpose. SmartSheet takes it a step further in that you can use it for surveys, to collect a myriad of information, generate forms that are accessible online where non-users can input information that translates to a spreadsheet and so much more.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can think of that I dislike about SmartSheet is that you cannot multi-select items in a drop-down in a sheet. This was requested by multiple users some time ago and still has not been implemented in spite of the demand. Releases seem to be infrequent and when they do come out, they want you to upgrade your subscription plan to have access to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SmartSheet is not a comprehensive project management solution similar to MS Project or others that strictly do project tracking. If you are looking for some thing that is easy to jump into and start planning without a significant amount of training, SmartSheet is a great choice. There are a lot of features that can be discovered and utilized once you get a better grip on the product.

We were looking for a cloud-based solution that allowed us to manage projects initially. What we found was that SmartSheet allowed us to do that, but a lot more. We use it to track employment applications, suggestions for improvement, social media content, training registrations, employee role assignments just to name a few. While we have not delved much into collaboration yet, we would like to explore those features in the near future.

Smartsheet review by Mike T.
Mike T.

"Smartsheet for project management"

What do you like best?

I like that it gives several options to display content. There are multiple ways to view the same content, which is good for different people. Some view the graphical screen better while others find the spreadsheet view is better for them.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the Googe Drive option as it is set up. It connects to Google Drive, however, if someone on the team edits the Google document, the document would need to be reuploaded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can share with others to edit document easier than other companies.

I love being able to house all the "TO DO" list items on one screen for all team members to view.

Smartsheet review by Brian H.
Brian H.

"Easy Gantt charts (finally)!"

What do you like best?

The tool is really useful for setting up a detailed schedule for any project. You can easily set up dependencies to keep track of deadlines and start dates for each individual piece of your project.

What do you dislike?

The Gantt chart doesn't export very easily, but it is useful to look at while you're editing. It's hard to share though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around. There are several products that offer kind-of-similar features. It's tricky to end up with the software that's just right for your needs.

I am working on a multi-year pilot launch of a new product, and it's been mind-bogglingly complex and too much to organize in a Word document or Excel sheet. This keeps everything in one place, with priorities and deadlines built in.

Smartsheet review by Ben E.
Ben E.

"Smartsheet works for the right job"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet's collaboration and ease of use are the biggest benefits. It's easy to set up project plans and work on them collaboratively. This is the biggest advantage over MS Project. Additionally, the library of templates has also been helpful, and overall it's very easy to get up and running with project plans.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge for project management is the inability to split task resourcing. The workaround is mediocre and I hope it's something they address. Additionally, the inability to independently format reports (you're constrained to formatting on the base sheets) is another disadvantage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good platform that fills a specific need for collaborating on project planning and management. It's not without it's limitations, but is well worth it.

We needed a collaborative platform for project management. Smartsheet has filled the need and we've generally been very happy with the service.

Smartsheet review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Name does justice : Smarter way to manage work - Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

I like how you can select different types of work sheets, like from regular task management list to project timelines. Also I was impressed by feature of conditional formatting, setting rules like highlighting rows based on certain criterion. It is easy to share sheet with other users and it’s great that you have flexibility to grant them the access level

What do you dislike?

It’s nice they have report feature but they can do better at it and can provide a small explanation on how to use it or show some examples in action.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have lot of tickets and issues you deal with in daily basis this till comes very handy. Also if you plan to share your sheets with clients and other team members this tools is good to use

With Fast moving client requests and large team sizes, smartsheet comes in handy for us all to be on top of issues and tickets. We can check status of tickets at one place and also comment on it at same time.

Learn more about Smartsheet

Smartsheet Videos

Learning about Smartsheet?

* We monitor all Smartsheet reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.