Help Scout Reviews & Product Details

What is Help Scout?

Help Scout scales like any other help desk, but the customer experience feels personalized like email. Help Scout is ideal for companies of all sizes, and specifically companies with 11+ users. Help Scout's clutter-free features keep teams of any size on the same page. With best in-class-reporting, integrated knowledge base, robust API and tons of integrations, and free iOS apps and Android app to support customers on the go, Help Scout lets your team focus on what really matters: your customers. Help Scout is used by companies that insist on a delightful customer experience. Trusted by 7,000 customers in 70+ countries including KissMetrics, Buffer, GrubHub, AngelList and Timbuk2.

Help Scout Screenshots

Help Scout Reviews

1-25 of 162 total Help Scout reviews

Help Scout Reviews

1-25 of 162 total Help Scout reviews
Head of Product - We are hiring!
Design
Most Recent Help Scout Video Review
Customer Success Manager

"Easy to use and manage, flows logically and great support if you need it"

What do you like best?

How simple it is to pick up and teach to new staff members, easy to assign and close emails/tickets and find them again if you need. Easy to segment to the right person and create easy saved replies to use or create into a workflow to clean up your mailboxes more efficiently.

What do you dislike?

That you can't run workflows based on the information collection through their help beacon. Would be great to use that information to move to the correct mailbox and assign to the right people to get back to customers faster.

Solving: Customer support for our online training business e.g. password resets, how-to etc.

Benefits: the ease of communication in seeing who is dealing with certain customers (also being able to look at an email without it being marked as read meaning it will stay open until a new status is assigned, can tackle the ones you need to or the 'easy' ones first), being able to quickly find anything else they raised with us in the past, keeping track of how well our respondents are doing by giving customers the chance to give feedback on the responses they receive.

Account Manager

"No customer need slips through the cracks with Help Scout"

What do you like best?

I’m not wading through a messy inbox anymore. My emails now feel more like a neat to-do list and I love the feeling of clearing all of them out. Help Scout has seriously made me into a more organized person and I feel like taking care of my clients is easy in a way it wasn't before.

My company explored other options last year and the resounding opinion of my entire team is that we did NOT want to lose Help Scout. I don't think this was an aversion to change, but rather an appreciation for the system Help Scout had let us create with each other. It's very easy to work together as a a team by using it and I would imagine it provides excellent oversight for our manager.

It's pretty motivating that anyone in my company can see my responses to my customer over Help Scout. If your'e great at customer service, you love this feature. If you want to fly under the radar and do a mediocre job, Help Scout would find you out pretty fast.

What do you dislike?

You’re not able to email multiple contacts from help scout and that's kind of frustrating. A lot of my clients have multiple points of contact and to reach all of them I have to address one person and then put the rest on CC. I understand it's not a system to be used for mass messaging but I think a lot of my contacts probably wonder why they're on CC and not one of the recipients.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As far as desktop and mobile design, you're not going to find something more user friendly than this. It's very intuitive and I've seen my newer team members pick up on it really quickly. I wasn't a decision maker in the selection process, so I can't really speak to the value for the cost (I don't know what it is) but I know if my company ever tried to take it away from us, we'd put up a fight! It's a terrific product.

Before Help Scout I really couldn’t take a vacation in peace. Seriously. But the visibility it offers on all of my customer emails makes taking care of clients a team effort now in my office. And that’s been a real game changer. When I return from being away I can see exactly how my clients were taken care of. And my manager can too.

"HelpScout Review"

What do you like best?

I like the help center feature of HelpScout. My computer uses this for our Support Help Center, and many of our customers visit this page for assistance. I love the ability to format the support page to our liking (our branding engineer did the whole design, and we were able to apply it to HelpScout's content). We use HelpScout so much for adding new articles, having other employees edit articles by logging into the system, and receiving feedback on the articles.

What do you dislike?

One of the elements of HelpScout that I think could be improved, is when you are sending a message, the custom fields appear below the message that you are typing. We use a lot of fields to categorize our tickets, so with all of the fields below a reply, we cannot see the user's original message to us. I wish that the fields were moveable so that we could see the user's original response, and reply directly to that. Instead, we have to scroll down to read their message, scroll up to type our response, and repeat as necessary, which really interrupts the workflow of ticket response.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are thinking about Help Scout for your company, definitely keep in mind that they are continually working to improve their product, which is great. Even if it does not do everything you need it to right now, they continually work with customers to get the features they need.

We use HelpScout for ticketing and for our Help Center. We have realized that HelpScout can help well with both, and for a fairly reasonable price in comparison to other systems.

"HelpScout for Start-Ups"

What do you like best?

I like the documentation feature. We are able to host our help documentation within our application using some key integrations. It's very self service and convenient for SaaS customers.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about HelpScout is ticket grouping tickets is a bit inflexible. I would like to create more specific groupings to drill down more minutely. There could also be some improvements in analytics all around.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product has worked really well for our small business. I am not sure what scale looks like, so please review enterprise company reviews to make additional purchasing/evaluation decisions.

HelpScout allows us to communicate to our customer base across multiple touch points. The integrations are great, we're able to alert our Google inboxes when new cases come in and are able to engage across the full customer lifecycle.

Content Writer & Social Media Specialist

"Help Scout is Trustworthy, Helpful, Friendly..."

What do you like best?

I love being able to separate inboxes as well as assign emails to different employees. It really helps clean up the inbox and helps keep emails from stacking up. The auto responses are incredibly helpful and make responding to emails so much simpler and go by much faster. Being able to connect emails to Shopify and MailChimp is another super important and extremely helpful feature that I'm so, so happy with!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of really anything that I dislike. I think it doesn't always catch spam emails but that really hasn't been an issue and there haven't been too many.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It takes a little bit of getting used to as far as opening emails and having them not be marked as read- it's super helpful, just something to get used to. It really is very easy to use, it's easy to train people on, and it's great for connecting to other software/websites for your business.

Being able to sync with our other systems (Shopify and MailChimp) has made it so much easier to pull up customers info and to reply to emails much faster. Seeing how many emails need to be assigned to specific employees helps us see who's covering how many emails, which employees typically cover what kinds of questions, and other patterns like that. I need to look more into the reports tab, I'm sure there's even more I can do, but I'm already really impressed with everything I have been using.

Succès Client

"Useful in dealing with a constant flow of support tickets"

What do you like best?

We enjoy having a mailbox for each of our account managers and the ability to move messages from mailbox to mailbox in just 2 clicks. Plus, it is a simple and intuitive tool to use and all the built-in features appear pertinent for any average user.

What do you dislike?

The built-in search engine is sometimes tricky to use if you want to make sure to get all the concerned results. Moreover, I'd like to have a little bit more flexibility from the analytics even though it is pretty decent as it is right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, your team will benefit from easy collaboration and improved productivity with regard to support.

We are using it as our support ticket tool and feel that we are getting great value because it allows our support team to work more effectively and reply to our customer quicker.

Executive Director

""Help Scout is Trustworthy, Helpful, "It has changed how we do Help Desk""

What do you like best?

The web interface for the clients is organized and simple to utilize. We use it for our interior IT Help Desk despite the fact that it is truly planned more for outer client help. In any case, that doesn't make a difference it works incredible for us. Our inside clients can undoubtedly simply present a ticket through email or a frame we made on our Intranet.The automated messages are unbelievably useful and make reacting to messages so a lot easier and pass by a lot quicker. Having the capacity to associate messages to Shopify and MailChimp is another very vital and incredibly supportive element that I'm along these lines, so content with!

What do you dislike?

I can't consider truly whatever I hate. I figure it doesn't generally get spam messages yet that truly hasn't been an issue and there haven't been too many.One of the components of HelpScout that I think could be enhanced, is the point at which you are communicating something specific, the custom fields show up beneath the message that you are composing. We utilize a great deal of fields to sort our tickets, so with the majority of the fields underneath an answer, we can't see the client's unique message to us.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It takes a smidgen of becoming accustomed to the extent opening messages and having them not be set apart as read-it's overly useful, only something to get utilized to.If you don't presently have a Help Desk, are sharing an inbox between representatives, or have a wild inbox, a Help Desk is an unquestionable requirement have. Particularly one like Help Scout which is constructed great for these utilization cases and is anything but difficult to utilize. However amazing.

We have understood that HelpScout can assist well with both, and at a genuinely sensible cost in contrast with other systems.Being ready to match up with our different frameworks (Shopify and MailChimp) has made it such a great amount of less demanding to pull up clients data and to answer to messages a lot quicker. Perceiving what number of messages should be doled out to explicit representatives causes us see who's covering what number of messages, which workers commonly cover what sorts of inquiries, and different examples like that. I have to look more into the reports tab, I'm certain there's significantly more I can do, however I'm as of now truly inspired with all that I have been utilizing.

Manager, Support & CS Operations

"Great UX reduces agent frustration and increases productivity"

What do you like best?

The agent UI / UX - Easy for agents to see what they have open, which encourages them to deal with the tickets faster. The Unassigned page is perfectly designed for triaging as it updates live and quickly. The interface is very snappy and we rarely encounter bugs.

I also love the Zapier endpoints, Webhooks, and the versatility of the API so I can create many useful integrations and business processes.

Customers rave about the Docs site and find the Beacon very user-friendly and convenient.

What do you dislike?

- You can only make one webhook

- Can't upsert tags via the API

- While HS is always raving about how friendly and great their support team is, they rarely dig deep into issues, and leave you on your own to figure out any issues that begin to become complex. They don't "go the extra mile".

1. Improve the self help experience for customers

2. Improve the efficiency / happiness of agents

"Helpscout used for IT Help Desk"

What do you like best?

I like the how we can manage all the tickets, assign to a user, add internal notes, tags are easily created. Add call logs in the system. Reporting is great to measure how much tickets or issues we resolved. I like the feature of merging tickets if it is the same issue.

What do you dislike?

When a ticket is submitted multiple times separately, with the same subject, it does not show the whole message, some of the messages are lost and not found within helpscout, you would have to go to the actual email to find the whole message.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy to setup and use, great tool to manage support tickets.

Managing support desk and issues within the company. It helps reduce and automate tickets with this software. It provide reports to paint a picture on how the company is doing in regards to help scout.

Customer Experience Advocate
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Very Easy To Use "

What do you like best?

Help Scout makes sending emails from our department super easy! Just login and select my department's mailbox and I'm ready to go. All the emails can be assigned to specific people and prioritized based on urgency.

What do you dislike?

It could look a little more ascetically pleasing I guess. It's a bit HTML-y but it doesn't really effect the ease of use at all. I just think the fonts and the headers can be less boxy.

As a customer service representative I have to be able to send an email quickly. I get asked for documents that I have to be able to pull up quickly and send out quickly to move to the next call. Managing the mailboxes makes it easy for me to compose from my mailbox, keep it assigned to anyone and close it out once it's sent.

Vice President - Technology
Construction

"It has changed how we do Help Desk"

What do you like best?

The web interface for the users is well put together and easy to use. We use it for our internal IT Help Desk even though it is really designed more for external customer help. But that doesn't matter it works great for us. Our internal customers can easily just submit a ticket via email or a form we created on our Intranet. I really love all the workflow options that can control which members of the HD team get notified and when. It is always fast and it is easy for my team to search our 5 years of history in the system to see if the problem has already been solved by a peer.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything but, like any product, I wish there were a few features added. For example, you can place a ticket (conversation) into a Pending state but I wish there was a date field to have it automatically become active again on that date.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is pretty easy to use once we you get your email addresses linked. Learn how to use the Work Flow features!

Helping my IT department keep on top of user requests and not loose track of them. I have the ability to easily monitor what's going on both just poking around but also by running various built-in reports.

Founder & CEO

"Help Desk Meets Shared Inbox & Email Decluttering Tool"

What do you like best?

The UI/UX of Help Scout is beautiful. You can tell that they put a lot of thought into the design of the tool. The functionality is incredible as well. With "Workflows" to identify inbound emails and direct them/assign them where you need them to go based on many different triggers, very powerful.

I have actually decluttered my inbox significantly by creating a "mailbox" within Help Scout which is called "newsletters" and I have all of the great articles that I am subscribed to go to Help Scout instead of directly to my inbox. Now when I go to my G Suite inbox, I know that the emails showing there are time sensitive and important.

It is also a gem for the help desk side of things. Managing inbound support inquiries from clients is a joy within Help Scout. So much in-fact that we have been pushing Help Scout to our own clients because it has worked so well for us!

What do you dislike?

I really wish there was some type of timer that could begin when you start working on a support ticket. It does not even natively integrate with Harvest which would be great. We really need to be able to know how much time we spend solving individual support tickets (sometimes to bill clients based on the time spent).

It would be great if there was some type of "live chat" functionality baked into the Beacon which you can host on your site. Having competitors similar to Intercom, it would be great to kill two birds with one stone versus getting our clients set up on a help desk + live chat service. Would be awesome if they could integrate this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do not currently have a Help Desk, are sharing an inbox between employees, or have an out of control inbox, a Help Desk is a must-have. Especially one like Help Scout which is built very well for these use-cases and is very easy to use. Yet powerful.

Customer support, info requests, sales requests, email decluttering, alert system (for the IT side of our business, alerts get pushed into Help Scout and we can monitor them nicely from there depending on whether or not we have to take action).

Member Concierge
Civic & Social Organization

"Great Tool!"

What do you like best?

I like the newly added ability to tag people into your convo threads! It makes things easier when you're looking to get the feedback from multiple users instead of assigning to individual parties.

What do you dislike?

I miss that search would auto-populate suggested items, now you have to type the full name/item in search and scroll through your options. A small step but it takes away from productivity times in the long run if you're doing multiple searches in a day.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bringing back the "smart-generation" for the search menu, I preferred when search didn't send you to a new page prior to the update that occurred with it earlier this year.

Connecting with members to find solutions asap for various questions, and being able to get the info needed from different teams (billing, leadership, events, etc) to follow up. Also being able to tag emails with various key words to make sorting easier and efficient.

Technical Support Manager
Food & Beverages

"Like to use Help Scout ."

What do you like best?

Definitely I will say that i like that software a lot! It's great enough. so easy to understand and pick up for every one. Everything is clear and easy. Perfect support service.

What do you dislike?

Actually i have just positive thoughts about that product. Will be not so nice to start talk about it bad as i know that work with it can do much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If till now you don't have this solution than it's better to get it. For sure no doubt If somebody will ask me which one is better i will tell just go with Help Scout. Just use it.

As for my office It helped us being so much better at assistance our customers .We can realize where we should to develop our app. So great to work with that one with no stress.

Employeer

"Help Scout it's amazing"

What do you like best?

My team uses Help Scout as our Customer Support ticketing system. We also currently have our Success Team and Billing department set up with mailboxes. The benefit is that multiple users can work out of a shared inbox, assign conversations, forward to different departments, and leave internal notes on conversations

What do you dislike?

Knowledge Base. I wish there was more room for customization here. The current setup requires there to be Collections and Categories. If an article is uncategorized it is not searchable in the Knowledge Base. I also wish there was a feature so I could add "was this article helpful?" to report on.

Support. Any time I have a question or something seems to be acting up in the account (which is pretty rare) I always get a quick response from Help Scout's Support team.

Knowledge Goddess and Chief Executive Owl

"I wish I could manage my personal email in Help Scout"

What do you like best?

Help Scout makes it easier for me to do my job. It's simple, personal, and powerful. The keyboard shortcuts have become second nature to me, and I often find myself wanting to use HS commands in Gmail. I really love that way it looks and feels like personal emails for our customers while allowing our team to share a support inbox. Love the fun rewards when you clear the queue.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes miss the more powerful triggers and automations from Zendesk, but I've come to embrace some of the simpler functionality of HS. I really wish you could pin notes to the top of tickets and turn off the email notifications for @mentions. The Android app also seems pretty buggy whenever I try to use it, but it's way better than trying to use HS on a mobile browser. And there was this one time HS deleted our API key because of a credit card payment issue, which really wasn't cool as they didn't inform us they did that so we could rectify it immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Help Scout is awesome for doing support on a small team. It's personal for your customers, and delightful for your team to use. This would be my first recommendation for any team looking for help desk software.

We use Help Scout for all of our customers and vendor communication. We wanted a simple shared inbox and ticketing solution that didn't feel like ticketing.

"User friendly platform"

What do you like best?

I love how simple the layout of the website is. THe layout makes it really easy to navigate and resolve cases in a timely manner.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say there is anything I dislike about the interface but sometimes shortcut keys take me places I don't mean to go on the page. Ie. I am in the middle of typing a draft and inadvertently press a key on the keyboard and I end up back in the dashboard. But I'm certain this is user error.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Truly none, the platform is delightful. My advice? Dont wait!

Customer inquiries and complaints are the biggest thing we resolve in helpscout. The benefits of the system are the fact that it highlights how long cases have been opened and there are stats for resolution times.

I

"Great Customer Email Management for Teams!"

What do you like best?

Saved Replies, Tagging, Workflows, and the ability to create a makeshift internal wiki of docs and procedures our customer care teams and internal support staff can use to help each other and stay on the same page.

What do you dislike?

None, this is a great program! I have only started using this in the past month and I’m sure the more I get to know it I’ll find some things that need improvement but so far it’s been a great experience and the concept for my team has been working great so far.

Staying on the same page of knowledge support and internal process flows. This is going to be a great hub for both internal and external information to stay consistent so we are giving our customers the right answers, internally and externally.

"Less expensive option for customer ticketing system"

What do you like best?

I like that the price is affordable - I really don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck. Also, the support team is very friendly and accommodating.

What do you dislike?

The live chat feature isn't live yet. The workflows/actions aren't built into the saved responses. You can't initiate a manual workflow on a new ticket (I have no idea why that's even a thing.) No way to simply bulk upload your existing client database. No triggers to pop up your chat based on your customer's onpage actions. Many features are "in the pipeline" but not necessarily road-mapped as of yet. Doesn't have the feature that Zendesk chat does where it shows you all your clients who are online, where they are from and other useful data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider which features are most important to you before deciding on a ticketing system.

Organizing all client interactions into one place.

Graphic Design
Training Manager

"Good program but confusing interface"

What do you like best?

I love that it's easy to edit and maintain articles. I can quickly and easily make changes when necessary and creating new articles is also an easy process.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we only have one admin login for all members of the support team. I'm not sure if this is just the way we have it set up or if that is something that is built into Help Scout but it makes auditing changes to articles very difficult. I also don't like that when logging in it automatically drops you into the edit view as opposed to the regular view. This results in accidental changes being made to documents without users even knowing that they have done it.

We are creating and maintaining an internal and external knowledge base for our product RentLinx.

Fulfillment Specialist

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

I love that I am able to customize responses, inboxes, and who are "assigned" to what email. I love the color coding as well.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it will say someone is on the email with me but they aren't, but that's really not a big issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Helpscout is great! I definitely recommend it to anyone needing email software.

We have many inboxes and we are able to all essentially work out of the same one but customize it to ourselves.

Customer Experience Team member

"Multifunctional, Professional. Collaborative Service"

What do you like best?

I enjoy its ability to serve the unique functionalities of our roles. Its easy to search for conversations, to assign and organize to people in the company, and that we have full transparency.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it does not offer smart text, we have to generate saved replies to get help on repetitive responses.

Help Scout allows us to communicate externally and still maintain our personal inboxes. Transparency allows us to have optimal flow with conversations and our customers.

AI

"Great answering service, and easy to use! "

What do you like best?

They have a lot of shortcuts, and mechanisms that allow you and your team to answer emails fast and efficiently. It''s also HIPAA compliant (why we switche to HelpScout!) The super funny Easter eggs that pop-up when you clear an inbox are genius! They're very creative!

What do you dislike?

When it goes down, it really affects our day- it's gone down about 5 times now within the past year, the longest was maybe 15 minutes, but we get over 1,000 emails a day, so time is of the essence.

On a random note, I made the gingerbread cookie recipe that HelpScout provided during the holiday season, and the recipe was not good at all! I'm guessing they weren't able to make the cookies themselves..random, sorry.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get to know all of the features and shortcuts! It's super fun once you know what keys do what! It's magical!

Helping our members and providers with general troubleshooting and billing issues.

We're able to communicate easily as a team, and work effectively to answer all emails sent to us.

AE

"Great Help Portal for Small Business"

What do you like best?

The email is very fast, my clients information gets in so I always know who is contacting me and sometimes even a picture appears so it feels more personal when I'm replying to an ticket. Being able to reply quickly and report spam as needed. I'm able to paste in articles from my Docs very easily to my tickets so I don't need to repeat myself to my clients.

What do you dislike?

The Docs section is very limited on the free version and I wish it could be opened up more. I understand having only 30 articles allowed, but multiple categories should be something allowed. Also wish better spam targeting was on the ticket system. I find myself having to manually report items as spam and this gets very time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Help Scout to everyone, it is easy to use and not expensive. The features are amazing. The Docs site creates a FAQ page for your business and the ticketing system has everything you need to answer your customers questions.

I was looking for a better service to allow clients to ask us questions and get ahold of us with information for our business. Help Scout solved that the best and now we are able to reply fast to our email requests and answer questions quickly with Docs. Now the information that we receive can get to our staff faster.

Help Scout Features

8.9
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.6*
* Help Desk Category
Do you work for Help Scout?