PowerSchool SIS

PowerSchool SIS

PowerSchool provides the full range of features needed by administrators at the district and school level in addition to portals for teachers, parents, and students.

Work for PowerSchool SIS?

Learning about PowerSchool SIS?

PowerSchool SIS Reviews

Ask PowerSchool SIS a Question
Showing 353 PowerSchool SIS reviews
Ryan K.

"PowerSchool: Our hub for data management."

What do you like best?

We use PowerSchool as our main hub for managing student data all across our district. The built in functions for grading and attendance can handle multiple scenarios that accommodate our PK-12 students. We also like the ability to export all sorts of data for external curriculum, transportation, food service, and educational applications. The ability to add 3rd party plugins, and database access allows us multiple possibilities to sync data with external systems. The reporting components helps us facilitate the ever changing reporting requirements by the state and federal governments. The user group is large which helps us bounce ideas off of other school districts.

What do you dislike?

A downside of having a large application that can accommodate many different scenarios is the complexity of setting up functions that meet our needs. The PowerSchool support techs are not always educated when it comes to setting up certain functions. This can cause issue when trying to solve problems mid school year.

PowerSchool SIS has allowed us to transition to Standards-based grading. Starting with a handful of a teachers, then by grade, then finally by school. The ability to have different grading methods for specific groups allowed us to train teachers and work out any issues before fully committing.

The ability to implement 3rd party plugins for hall passes, alerting, and curriculum tools allowed us to seamlessly integrate those programs within the district and stay in-sync with our data.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about PowerSchool SIS
Benjamin H.

"Simple, Intuitive, Flexible, and Powerful"

What do you like best?

It is a 21st century product. The interface is modern and sleek for all users. Parents use the app for realtime updates. Students can access their work from anywhere on their chromebook. The gradebook is intuitive and my teaching staff made the shift seamlessly. As an administrator I most appreciate the ability to customize the Powerschool system. The user community has been a vibrant resources for custom reports and data analysis. The ability to directly view and correlate data inside of PowerSchool (instead of exports to excel) has saved me countless hours and provided my teachers with more data at their fingertips.

What do you dislike?

The PowerSchool app does not contain all of the functionality found on the browser version. Ex: Parents must sign-in through a web browser in order to see their student's requested coursework for next year. Additionally, as a private high school in New York City, we have parents whose children attend middle/ elementary schools who also use PowerSchool. These parents have to logout of one school and log into the other in the app, removing some of the simplicity of this technology. A minor annoyance, that is ultimately unavoidable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it. It has all the power of your current system SIS in a better package. The expanded product offerings allow you to get even more functionality out of the system and can replace other, separate modules your district uses for mandatory reporting, special education, digital classrooms, digital assessments, and more. Consolidating our data into one silo has given us access to leverage all of this data into reflective practices in order to further assist our teachers in reaching our students.

No more exporting to excel! Excel exports have the inherent problem of stagnant data. The enterprise reporting tools built into PowerSchool allows me to create custom reports to view, organize, and correlate LIVE data. Updating a report is as easy as refreshing the screen. It's life changing.

What K-12 Student Information Systems solution do you use?

Coddeana M.

"Awesome ....very happy the SIS system"

What do you like best?

The upside to using Powerschool is the connection with Power Teacher. It also has so many features that the Admin team can utilize in the everyday operation of the school. Powerscheduler is awesome for scheduling students schedules. We also like the Parent Portal that allows the parets to see their students grades and attendance real time. We also like the Graduation Progess Screen. This allows the students and their parents to see all of the courses the student has completed towards the graduation progress for our school. Parents are able to see all of the courses the student has taken during their four years of high school when they want to instead of needed a transcript.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the contacts page for the Parents. Some how it creates duplicate records for all of the parents when we created the parent user name and passwords for the Parent Portal.

Powerschools Discipline feature does not allow parents to see student demerits. There is no plae for the students demerit to show on the Parent and Student Portal.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its very important to have a skilled Implementation Person

The problem that we are solving with Powerschool SIS is the duplicate records that are created when we create a new parent log in. We are also solving the issue with identifiying at risk students. There is a plug in that we are going to purchase that will allow us to identify at risk student and run several reports that we would not really have access to.

Stacy N.

"PowerSchool SIS is an amazing product!"

What do you like best?

The most helpful feature I find with PowerSchool is the state reporting. My district's funding depends upon accurate reporting to the state. Every report that I pull from PowerSchool and upload is seamless, and the zero error rate I have had over the past 8 years is simply incredible.

Another thing that I truly appreciate (especially after speaking with other colleagues who do not use PowerSchool) is the ability to be able to customize it. You get a great product right out of the box, and then you have the ability to make any changes needed to work for your individual district preferences. No matter what page in PowerSchool my district wants to tweak, I am able to make the change.

And that leads me to perhaps the feature I truly appreciate the most - PowerSchool's support. If I do not know how to make something work myself, there is always someone willing to help me. I can contact PowerSchool support via phone, email, or chat. I can reach out to my local PS User Group members, or the trainers I have met at PSU and built relationships with over the years. Jason Springel's "Ask the Evangelist" webinars are a lifesaver! And the huge network of experienced users on its Exchange who share and help troubleshoot just can't be beat! The support options available are simply top notch!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I get a little frustrated with is the speed with which PowerSchool is branching out. So many different products are being incorporated into PowerSchool, which is great, but there are too many to keep up with. If the rate slowed down, there would be less glitches, and my Business Administrator would be more willing to look at the products I am interested in acquiring.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great product at an affordable price!

The greatest problem I have been able to solve using PowerSchool is scheduling. We used to have master scheduling boards in every building and had to move post its around while we tried to figure out the best master schedule options. By using the SIS's PowerScheduler instead, we are able to load the constraints and requests, and it automatically built the best possible schedule for us. The time we save every year is truly the most beneficial feature we have realized. I could not imagine going back to the post its!

Terica B.

"Best Customized SIS System"

What do you like best?

The ability to customize the SIS to our needs. Having the information in one software helps us to it with other software that we use to roster students. PowerSchool has really upped their game in customer service and upgrades to their software since it was purchased a few years ago. I have much more faith in the product after see the changes.

What do you dislike?

Because our school district is very unique in our goals and aggressive in being a leader in our county, we have to do more customization than most and we do not always have the staff that can do some of the customizations. Fortunately, PowerSchool partners with some really great companies that have add-on plug-ins that we can purchase at a reasonable cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take your time to integrate and plan. With any project, planning well leads to success.

PowerSchool makes it easier to provide the same information to different levels of staff. The best benefit is organizing our state data and sending data to/from our state data hub.

Mike M.

"Avid PowerSchool User for 10+ Years"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of PowerSchool. I have never really had any issues trying to accomplish what it is I need PowerSchool to do. Also getting my staff and teachers trained is easy with little to no refresh needed due to the simplicity of the product.

What do you dislike?

I really only have two small issues. The need to customize in some cases is a little annoying but PowerPak took care of most of my issues. And the fee management could be a little better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out. Give PowerSchool a test drive and you will find it works better then most other SIS systems that you might come across.

PowerSchool has been an effective SIS for the district. We have been able to accomplish all of what we needed to do and we have had an easier time doing it compared to our previous SIS.

Noel V.

"Great site for teachers "

What do you like best?

There are many options in PowerSchool for teachers to use aside from just grading. You can create different reports to print, view grades in different forms, and compare your classes.

What do you dislike?

It is a little difficult to use at first as there is a lot to it. You need to explore all of the things available. We had a PD to be taught the different tools and it can be confusing. There is also no way to view all of your SPED kids at once or see their IEP's.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should look at other grading systems and compare them to meet your schools needs. While this site has many benefits, it also has some drawbacks that may be difficult for your users.

We use this in the classroom to input grades or run reports. It helps easily do grades for teachers.

Alyssa H.

"PowerSchool Keeps Our School Organized"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool integrates all of our data from grading and puts it in graphs and charts. It also helps us keep track of the standards mastered. From a teacher's perspective, this is incredible helpful. It's way more than just a standard gradebook.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook system is a bit difficult when it comes to manually adjusting your settings with every new quarter. For example, I want my students' grades to always be calculated by percentage. For that to happen, I need to go into every subject every single quarter and manually change that setting. It doesn't happen automatically with one or two clicks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the plunge! This product is definitely worth the investment.

Our school is able to have attendance records organized. We have our PowerSchool set up to text out alerts to parents if their child is tardy or absent. As a school that struggles with attendance, this "personalized" message helps keep the parents updated on just how often they keep their child home from school.

Doug S.

"PowerSchool is the best available SIS"

What do you like best?

The most beneficial thing that PowerSchool offers districts is the ability to customize it on the fly to fit your district's needs. Every district is different and most other SIS will customize their products, but for a price, with PowerSchool you can do it yourself.

What do you dislike?

The weakest aspect of PowerSchool might be technical support, but where it lacks in that area the network of users and power users is super strong and I've never had an issue that I couldn't solve contacting school that use PowerSchool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Customizability, strong user network, easy UI.

Data tracking is easy with PowerSchool and our primary focus this year has been chronic absences. With the built in reports and the addition of some custom reports we've been able to get a handle on some of our repeat attendance issues.

Jaye H.

"Information Systems Database Applications Specialist"

What do you like best?

Admin, Teachers, Parent and Students all have access into the system. The ability to customize the product is also a huge advantage over competitors.

What do you dislike?

Only downside is cost to add other PowerSchool products to the platform. The fact that they are also based on a per student cost, in addition to the SIS cost, makes it difficult if you have a large student population.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look carefully at your needs...however, PowerSchool SIS is one of the better more forward thinking SIS products out there. It is easy to use and understand and integrates well with additional products.

Visibility across admin, teacher, parent and student platforms for grades and performance. The relatively new Enterprise Reports allow users the ability to create their own versionsof a basic report without damaging the integrity of the original report

Ed B.

"Outstanding Product Support"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that PS Support is always available to assist with issues. PS is quite user friendly in my opinion but there are these little secrets contained in PS that support always points me to. PS Support has been excellent in providing guidance to new users such as myself.

What do you dislike?

The downside to PS is the State Reporting extracts. Every reporting period there seems to be an issue with PS extracting inaccurate reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend that the person using PS be familiar with Oracle SQL.

One problem we are solving with PS is the incoming/outgoiing Spec. Ed students. PS has simplified the tracking process for us which allows us to report Spec. Ed students in a more timely and accurate manner.

Jessica M.

"Keep grades up to date"

What do you like best?

I can import my assignments/ grades directly from Schoology. There is also an app available that makes keeping up on the go easy.

What do you dislike?

A missing/ late assignment shows as a zero so it gives parents and students a false understanding of his/her grade. I also wish Students had earlier access to Powerschool so they could be more in charge of their own grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend connecting apps and programs that can directly transfer information to Power School. It makes grades and integrating activities much easier.

Parents, admin, and students have real time access to grades and missing assignments. The benefits of this system are that documentation for grades are easily available at any time. There are also reports available to follow patterns in a students learning.

Remy S.

"Great SIS"

What do you like best?

I like that pretty much everything is in one place - attendance, transcripts, programs, state reporting, etc. They also have an abundance of plugins that can enhance the SIS. It is a really straightforward system that is easy to use and easy to train people on. There are so many available modifications that you can make to use the system exactly as you need it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes getting help from tech support is difficult because of the language barrier and their lack of patience to really go through an issue to replicate it. Usually when they roll out a new update, I have a lot of problems with getting HTTP error messages that it will usually take a few days to fix. Also, the CRDC report doesn't seem to match the logic that the CRDC report requests, but that's only reported once every two years.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely combine the PowerSchool SIS with PS Registration to get the most out of the program. I would also attend PowerSchool University to really get into how you can maximize PS utilization.

One benefit that we have is that we use PS Registration and it delivers the student registration data directly to PS - minimizing the use of paper forms, and almost eliminating a lot of errors due to poor handwriting.

"Excellent way to manage students"

What do you like best?

Powerschool allows me to check my children's grades, attendance, and behavior in school. I can see if my child has any missing assignments or assignments that were poorly done. My children can also log in to check on their progress, so that can take responsibility for themselves. As a teacher, it helps me communicate with parents on their child's current performance. The reporting features are also especially helpful when trying to find missing assignments or obtain specific grading data. It allows me to weight different categories and terms so that I can customize my class exactly how I want it. I can even put in my seating arrangements for class!

What do you dislike?

There used to be a better way of getting a missing work report for my classes as well as for individual students, but that no longer exists.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are lots of awesome features that make this a great SIS.

Powerschool manages attendance, grades, and records far better than our previous system.

Steve B.

"PowerSchool SIS"

What do you like best?

I like how everything in integrated. Having the teacher gradebook and the parent access integrated within the SIS is wonderful. The web solution has been one of the most rewarding parts. We no longer have to have it as a local software. Having our state reporting as a part of the software is also a wonderful solution. PowerSchool's state reporting team stay abreast of all the required state mandates and they keep the software up to date regularly. The upgrade and maintenance releases also has been solid. If there is a bug in a software release, their team is right on it and get a fix out fairly quickly! They have a very aggressive support team that works aggressively whenever you have a problem or need assistance in working in the software. I really like the opportunity for training yearly that PowerSchool puts on called PowerSchool University. We have the opportunity to work hand in had with the support team, developers and the training team. The training is wonderful!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider getting some training on sql. It is not necessary but is helpful for using a developer software to plug into for difficult querries.

It provides a well round view of a student's performance. Having a longitudinal look at the data is very beneficial.

Marcela M.

"Complex but useful"

What do you like best?

We've found Powerschool as a strong and useful platform for database management. It is very functional, and contains a diversity of tools in order to work with, organize, and analyze data.

What do you dislike?

It is way too complex, so the learning curve takes time. When synced to Unified Classroom it turns way harder to use.

It is hard to contact support, we've had cases wher it takes them longer to solve the issue, and we decide to re do the whole thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Implementation and learning curve takes time and patience. It is complex when associated with Unified Classroom.

It is a good idea to involve the most personnel during implementation; more hands and minds help more.

Organization and unification, we used to have different platforms, and now everything is found in one single place.

Besides, Powerschool provides a self place to store information. It is trustworthy.

Robyn B.

"Our school would not function without PowerSchool."

What do you like best?

PowerSchool allows our staff to input academic and behavioral data for our students, and these updates can be viewed by all, including parents, in real time. As the school social worker, I review this data during sessions with my students, and it's helpful to see their most updated grades and most recent behavioral infractions. PowerSchool allows me to be responsive to my students' day-to-day behavior, which at middle school, is always in a state of flux.

What do you dislike?

PowerSchool has the potential to be a great tool for the parents of our students. When working with our students, we do not work in a vacuum, and the alignment between home and school is a key leverage. On PowerSchool, each student is given an individual key that a parent can use to create their own PowerSchool account. In order to protect the privacy of this account, we, as a school, rightfully do not have access to a parent's login and password information once an account is created. Unfortunately, once a parent loses their login information, we have to point them to a third-party to recover their information, which is oftentimes cumbersome and confusing. If there was a way that a parent could easily reset their password, and there was a way we as a staff could facilitate the reset, that would be helpful. Many of our parents do not have access to a computer at home, and access PowerSchool on their phones, and many staff use their work laptops to help parents set up an account.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like all software, training new staff on how to use PowerSchool takes time. Fortunately, when inputting log entries, all staff can create, edit, or delete an entry. This flexible feature is important, especially when needing to correct student data quickly.

Using the data inputted by all my colleagues who work with a student, we are allowed to easily glean academic and behavioral trends from the aggregate on PowerSchool. As a social worker, this allows me to identify areas of intervention. With the high number of students with whom I work, PowerSchool is invaluable.

"Power School is becoming easier to use with each update."

What do you like best?

I like that I can see all of my classes in one place from both buildings that I work in. I also like that now when you update an assignment it updates if for all hours that have the same assignment. I also like that you can print out the pictures of all students in each class for a substitute if needed.

What do you dislike?

I wish that I could choose which screen I want to open first when I go into the grade book section of the program. I also wish that there were more options for printing out student rosters.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

PowerSchool has many good features and has been updated with new and better features in the past few years.

This product makes it possible to see attendance and performance for my students across all class that they are enrolled in. Being able to look up parent information from inside the program can be helpful since most student information is available.

Adam S.

"PowerSchool is great to fitting our needs"

What do you like best?

The customization ability has been great! The support team has always been attentive to issues. All around the core SIS product has been invaluable to our district with how powerful it is. They also listen to feedback. New enhancements and features are released wit hall major updates. Many of these come from what customers have said.

What do you dislike?

The initial learning curve for admin users can be high. The system is very extensive on what it can do. Learning all parts of what is capable of can take time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This system is great if you want to integrate with other software. Very flexible on customizing pages in the system. Community support is also very extensive and useful.

We can tailor PowerSchool pages to our needs. This creates a better workflow for our staff to enter data.

Matthew G.

"Relatively easy to use, but lacks many features"

What do you like best?

I like how the program is relatively easy to use. The iPhone app also is extremely convenient to check attendance or look at a class roster when my computer is being used or unavailable. Printing progress reports for students is also an easy task to complete

What do you dislike?

The system we are currently using lacks many of the main important features. We cannot log detentions or parent contact via powerschool. These things would be extremely helpful. The interface could also be a little more user friendly. Making a new seating chart or trying to print in a normal-sized window does not always prove to be easy.

The program is utilized on a daily basis for procedural tasks (attendance, seating chart, grades, class roster, etc.). We also use the java plug-in grade book via powerschool so that all of the grades are linked into one system.

Agnes A.

"Very helpful platform for schools"

What do you like best?

This platform is a very helpful tool for teachers, parents and administrators. It helps with registration, attendance,asssesment and many more. It can be used online also by parents giving them access to register their children.This tool can help also organize students databases . I highly recommend this platform to any school.

What do you dislike?

They only problem so far is because of the many features make it so difficult to the administrators and teachers to find what are they looking for in the platform.

It is very easy to use. It empowers teachers and administration to have a better database of the students.

Rebecca G.

"Powerschool is user friendly!"

What do you like best?

I like that powerschol has an app that I can upload student grades on my phone! It is available to use wherever I go! I also like that I can do use the website easily on a mac and a dell. If you are using it on a mac, you will have to download an excel form so make sure you name it in a way you will remember.

What do you dislike?

I can only see one of my classes on the app because you can only put one teacher down as the "lead teacher". Because of this, I can only see my main class's grades on my phone rather than both classes. If you could put two teachers as a lead teacher, everybody can upload grades anywhere they are!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend first putting the grades as points if your assessment is in points and then converting it later to percent. If your grade is an "easy number", you can submit it directly as a percent. I would also make sure if you are using this on a mac, then you save the documents until the end of marking period so you can refer back to the original document if you need to. I would save it in folder that is named powerschool as well.

You can put grades and see student attendance and personal information all in one app! I do not have to open different websites or platforms when I want information about my students.

"Good SIS for the cost, but reports could be better"

What do you like best?

Cheapest SIS among the big 3 in the northeast (PowerSchool, infinite campus, eschool data)

Uses industry standard backend (oracle) and allows for JavaScript and Ajax when customizing pages

New York State data reporting segment is very good in terms of keeping the SIS rights up to date on nysed changes

What do you dislike?

Out of the box reports are very limited and most data pulls require us to pull from the tables directly, which is very difficult for most end-users

Consistency of support is spotty and highly dependent upon who you happen to get on the phone

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at Infinite Campus if you have the money, otherwise PowerSchool is a better product when compared to eSchool.

All school districts rely heavily on a student information system, so it is basically a requirement of running the entire organization

Matthew B.

"Online Testing Leads to Disaster"

What do you like best?

The grading system is pretty standard. It's nice that it keeps you from awarding more points than an assignment is worth. (You can't award 1000 points for a 100 point assignment).

What do you dislike?

Attempting to use the PowerSchool online testing feature was a total disaster. I could not retrieve the grades after the assessment was taken by my students. I spoke to tech support, but no solution was found. A month passed and I had to exempt all students from a major test in my class at the end of the term.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't get it. Choose another product.

PowerSchool, like every other product of this type, lets parents and teachers connect and monitor grades. It is completely indistinguishable from its competitors in what it does well and is particularly bad at what it does bad.

Taylor H.

"Powerschool a great took for educators!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see all of the information I may need for my students at the click of a link.

What do you dislike?

I wish it could generate lists! It would be nice to be able to make a list from the information found on Powerschool in order to give to parents or have on hand more often.

We are solving attendace and lunch count issues with Powerschool, finding important student information, class lists, and alerts. I have realize that I can go to one place for all the information I need on a student in a very short amount of time.

Sarah M.

"This is my 2nd year using powerschool for report cards and daily lunch and attendance."

What do you like best?

I like that the grading system can be done in points or percentage by choosing it from the drop down. I also like that you can weight certain grades to be worth more. The student information is very easily assessable and can easily turn into labels or different reports.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the strand under each grade doesn't always correlate with their actual letter grade. Often times the overall grade will be a P (proficient) and then students will have a 1 under several of the strands.

We have realized that we can not edit certain categories like test, homework, quiz, and etc. The benefits are allowing for grade parent communication. Other teachers at my school dislike that we cannot control turning the parent portal on and off.

Louise M.

"Smooth operation"

What do you like best?

Super easy interface to learn. Very smooth to operate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it! Especially if you are new to computerized education management systems, this one is easy to navigate and easy to learn even for those who aren't tech-savvy. Take the plunge, you won't look back! Even if you decide to change to a different platform later on in the game, this is, as I mentioned, a very good starting point for any school or educational institute. Everybody's data captured and in one place. This makes it easier for administrative staff to evaluate and check up on data.

In Education, it's important to have a great management system. Powerschool does that effectively.

Frances D.

"PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

I love the customization possibilities and that fact that PowerSchool is responsive to the requests of customers. The support has been very good. We have usually been able to get the product to do what we need.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult for our admin staff to get out the data they need. PowerSchool has definitely been addressing this and creating solutions that make it easier for someone who is not a database person to get the information they need out of the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can add customizations to PowerSchool. Many are already created for you by other users and are easy to load into the system.

State reporting has been much easier with PowerSchool

Charles T.

"PowerSchool SIS"

What do you like best?

PowerSchool provides a web based student information system that is easy to use and maintain. We leverage the ability to customize the system and user interface, including access to core data using ODBC and APIs for external solutions that we either purchase or build ourselves. The combination of a student management system and a grade book is being expanded with the acquisition of Haiku for a learning management system as well as improvements to the data and assessment elements that can now be connected to PowerSchool.

What do you dislike?

Over the course of the history of PowerSchool, which began as a small startup company, there have been multiple companies owning PowerSchool (including Apple and Pearson). The change from one parent company to another has occasionally resulted in frustrations with the support structure and the talent for technical support offered.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As with all major implementations check that the solution meets your needs, that you have the right skills internally to maintain the system or funding to provide for external support.

This is our Student Information System for all student and staff data, school scheduling, grades, attendance, state reporting, and custom data tracking. Our intent is to include the new learning management system and the data/assessment pieces for common formative assessments and interim assesments.

Jennifer K.

"A Teachers Life Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I really like the fact that so many facets from attendance to grading and so many things in-between are available through this one program!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much with PowerSchool that I dislike. I do IB grading and a spot for that would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is my opinion that every school should use PowerSchool. It houses so many aspects of a teachers daily routines and information that we have to keep up with in one place, that it's worth every penny!

I'm solving the problem of having to use a variety of different programs to take attendance, do grading, keep track of medical alerts, parents info, students info, by simply using this one program. The benefits of using just PowerSchool have enabled me to save time and quickly find what I need.

"PowerSchool is becoming the Standard"

What do you like best?

Easy connection to parents and students with real-time data

Connection to Canvas (Learning Management System) through grade pass back

Easy to use and adjust grades as needed

Comment base is easy to reference and use

Browser based interface makes it easy to work from almost any device

What do you dislike?

The spacing of the windows within the browser are difficult (or impossible) to manipulate, and so changing back and forth from them is tedious.

There is minimal application for teachers on the apps; these are primarily for parents and teachers to view grades and reports

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Communicate with your district and keep on top of things. There are small glitches, but easy to overcome.

We have been able to improve communication about grades with parents and students

Barbara A.

"All Access SIS"

What do you like best?

I like the instant feedback available to parents and students via Gradebook. Data entry is simple and quick. Easy to enter assignments for large group of students. Really enjoy being able to provide attendance data in real time. Helpful for students and parents to track absences. Overall, parent feedback is positive. Many features available, the software is somewhat pliable to fit teacher/school needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to adjust values for assignments not yet entered - I received panicked messages from parents when a student is absent/a grade isn't entered and the resulting 0 temporarily lowers the grade. There was a steep learning curve and those that are not naturally tech-savvy are sometimes hesitant to learn. Once learned, it is a very feature rich SIS system.

We enjoy the benefits of having everything available in real time. It has allowed students to be more self-sufficient and in charge of their grade data. Parents no longer email requesting grade updates.

"Useful data"

What do you like best?

I like that you can pull student information easily and help see where different academic plans are. It is also a good way to pull different data reports and figure out different ways of tracking data.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to comment or track information from the administrator side. This is offered on more expensive versions, but needs to be offered at the lowest level as well as some companies do not purchase the more expensive version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It allows you to get a large amount of information at one time which is helpful when working in a large organization.

Able to easily track data and pull reports. It is quicker than calculating things by hand. It is also easier to collect enrollment data and view disparities that exist on a wider scale.

Angela T.

"Powerful communication with PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

Powerful connections with PS can occur between teacher, students, parents, and administrators. Counselors can access data across the District. There is no delay when transferring between our schools- it makes this process seamless.

What do you dislike?

The only problem is that parents do not automatically get access upon registration of students. They have to have a person physically look up their access info and send home a temp password.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This will make all users connected with grades, demographics, and disciplinary information.

We are finally connecting student information with parental support and tying in proper disciplinary logs with details and consequences.

Rebecca M.

"PowerSchool Haiku For the Win"

What do you like best?

Haiku is the perfect private website to share content with students without the fear of their identities being revealed to the wider world. I am able to share classroom photos and student work without the worry of their privacy being violated. Students are able to send emails to me for help, and I am able to respond quickly and easily. There are many features like polls and assignments that help me to stay organized and items like the calendar help students to know what assignments are coming up next. Best off all, content can be saved from year to year, so I am not having to recreate something new every time I complete a lesson.

What do you dislike?

There are few things I dislike, but the biggest is the lack of a quality mobile app. When logging in from my phone to respond, is not mobile friendly, therefore I am stuck scrolling and often make mistakes. This does cause issues when trying to respond to student emails as they occasionally do not send due to the unease of clicking submit.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is perfect for use by various individuals across an organization as well as for use by various administrators.

Needing various single spots to share information with various groups has been the biggest challenge in finding a produce like PowerSchool. PowerSchool Haiku has allowed our organization to have separate online spaces for various groups. For example, each teacher is able to have a specific page for their own classroom, as well as the school having one for parents, various grade levels, and sports teams. These benefits are so valuable because parents and students are able to find information in one spot, and know that the information is secure and hidden from public view.

Sarah R.

"My Favorite Student Data System"

What do you like best?

I love Power School because all of our student data needs are stored in one location. We no longer have multiple programs for grading, demographics, and scheduling. Everything is done in one program.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Power School can be slow to release new features or fix bugs in the program. For example, just today I was having problems with the recommendation feature for scheduling. They had to escalate my issue and ended up not having a solution for it at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program does take some getting used to as it is different from all other products that I have used. Know that there will be a learning curve for admin as well as staff using it. Be patient.

We are managing our state reporting, student data, and staff information all in one location. The ability to have single sign on for all these features is something you cannot put a price on .

AE
Agency in Education Management

"PowerSchool is a student information system that is constantly improving with need."

What do you like best?

I like that the company listens to its users and makes enhancements based on request as well as leaving things to be customized by the end user if desired. Once proper training has been received it is very to use the software as well. There are also many user groups that share ideas/customization and reports throughout the country. This can be very useful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there seems to be a lot of customizing to make the product work but when it is so widely used it is understandable. Also, if proper training is not set up then the end user may have difficulty in setting up the software and utilizing it properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that you find out what training to begin with and have all users set up within PowerSource to be able to utilize Mastery in Minutes/search for answers from the community as well as add/vote on enhancements. Go to user group meetings, especially ones specific to your state so that you can make sure you are utilizing it to coincide with your state requirements.

We can generate the student information/reports that we need in order to provide the reporting we need.

Kim B.

"PowerSchool allows us track student data like no other SIS out there!"

What do you like best?

The PowerSchool state reporting feature saves me countless hours of combing through spreadsheets to verify data. I love the ability to export almost anything from PowerSchool. PowerSchool tech support is the best in the business. The staff is very knowledgable and is always able to solve my requests.

What do you dislike?

I am new to the world of SIS management. There is so much to learn in PowerSchool. I look forward to a long PS SIS relationship going forward and hope to become a PS SIS Master!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should strongly consider PowerSchool SIS. Their vision and products are revolutionary!

Student schedules, enrollment, and reporting. Page and Data Management features have saved my life!

William W.

"Powerschool for high schools "

What do you like best?

Powerschool does a lot of good things for keeping track of grades, informing parents and students and allowing teachers to vary the way they score grades.

What do you dislike?

The way we have it set up at our school report card and mid term comments re limited to a relatively small number of characters. I usually exceed the allowed number and have to edit my comments.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

start slow - keep trying different options when you have time

Informing parents and students of current class standing, grade, and use email for communication.

I use Powerschool to help students see missed work and what they need to do to succeed.

I also use the assignment comment option to remind students what they did well or poorly on some assignments throughout the year.

"I have used PowerSchool for the past 16 years! We looked at different SIS's a few years ago. "

What do you like best?

PowerSchool is one of the best SISs I have ever seen and used! I recommend it to everyone who is looking to change SISs . It is well worth the money!

What do you dislike?

It seems to break frequently but they have a very Helpful Helpdesk so you can open cases if you have issues and they are very prompt to get you a reply!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it you will love it!

We also use InfoSnap for registration and it integrates seemlessly, into PowerSchool SIS as it is from the same company. I love both products and we have very few errors in PowerSchool because no secretary is trying to cipher a parents handwriting!

AE
Administrator in Education Management

"Powerschool K-12 SIS great, but not the SPED side of it"

What do you like best?

Powerschool K-12 SIS is user friendly and runs some pretty handy reports

What do you dislike?

My work uses Powerschool as a K-12 SIS but also for special education to store, organize, and implement special education components (e.g, IEP, Eligibility, Parent Contacts, Prior Written Notices, etc.).... We were told that Powerschool K-12 SIS and Powerschool IEP(SPED) would communicate with each other which we thought would be perfect! However, Powerschool is basically building the program as we speak... as we are using it. They don't seem to have any knowledge about what is required from the school special education standpoint and ever since my work has signed up to use it a year ago we were promised that certain things would happen- those things have not happened. Certain features don't work or are working in error. This has caused major issues on my work end due to us having to make sure that we keep dates and times in order for reporting to the state-federal government. This impacts our funding. Powerschool has hired and fired people who work with us and the new people are putting blame on the old people. In the end, Powerschool IEP is not ever a program I would recommend and it is getting that I would not reccomend Powerschool in general.

Solving: place to store documents and organize information for students

Benefits Realized: None. Powerschool has made things even more unorganized and caused more headache due to errors and gliches which have resulted in double the amount of steps to make sure that a student's file is organized and correct.

UP
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"PowerSchool has been a great asset for my school community."

What do you like best?

What I like best about PowerSchool is the ability to change how I view my gradebook. I can look at one assignment at a time, a scoresheet for the whole class, or a profile for each individual student.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that things don't always fit on the page very nicely. Before PowerSchool became completely web-based, you could more easily view an entire group of students. They have done updates to improve this problem, but it does still happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When using PowerSchool, take advantage of all of the features that will provide the most information to your students parents. Use the late, missing, absent, and completed buttons as well as the description field which will allow you to describe your assignment and add any extra information you'd like your parents to know.

We are using PowerSchool to run a report for all missing assignments, allowing us to reach the students who aren't finishing their work or who aren't turning it in. This is an intervention step for my school and it has dramatically reduced the amount of zeros our students have.

Saloni H.

"Powerschool for educators is awesome!"

What do you like best?

Powerschool is great because you can have so many different kinds of accounts. At our school, we have one account-type for teachers, one account-type for students, and one account-type for the parents. It enables communication smoothly.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how you cannot use powerschool to submit assignments. It would be helpful if students could submit their assignments through powerschool and then teachers can enter grades while viewing submissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend PowerSchool to schools who need to communicate to multiple parties.

Grading, scheduling, student contact information, student behavior problems, logging conference calls, communicating to parents, communicating to adminstration- all are problems that powerschool helps solve

Karen H.

"Love/Hate Relationship (mostly hate)"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the platform. PowerSchool Assessment makes cheating nearly impossible. Students are completely locked out of everything. If they leave the program for more than 10 seconds (cumulative) the test locks.

What do you dislike?

Nearly everything else! I feel as if I am beta testing the earliest version of the software. However this is being used by my entire district. The navigation is terrible!

To view the test for my subjects

1) Click open to choose 9-12 math standards

2) Find & select Exams at the bottom of the page

3) Choose Post Test

This opens an alphabetical list of all of the schools in the district including elementary, middle, & high.

4) Find and select my school.

This opens a list of all of the math tests saved in my school's folder.

(This process is also needed in the Testing Center tab to assign & administer a test and then again in the Reporting to review the results)

PowerSchool Assessment takes tedious to another level.

Finding items to include on an exam is even more difficult. Items are found within standards. Some standards have 2000+ results. (Because of the 9-12 standards). There are limited filters that do little to help with selection. The filter lacks keyword, subject, & grade level options. The questions include naming conventions and symbols display DOK & question type. However, there is no way to preview the question without selecting or using the review items menu that displays items one at a time.

Writing items is also a difficult process. There are only 5 types of questions; fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, hot spot (multiple select), drag drop, and constructed response. PowerSchool Assessment requires the user to determine the layout of the question in the first step and this cannot be changed without starting over. Images can be uploaded, however size of the image cannot be adjusted after upload. This leads to another major issue, concerning image size. Some of the images displayed during testing are too small for students to use. This wouldn't be a major issue in most situations, but in testing mode PowerSchool Assessment prevents zooming. Another issue is limited support for entering equations. Students have access to an equation editor in constructed response, but not in fill-in-the-blank.

My colleagues and I have been disappointed in the provided content. Many of the questions "seem" like good questions until you look closer. The difficulty lies in the wording and not the actual content. It is easy to write a tricky assessment item that is difficult. It is difficult to write a quality question that requires deeper thinking.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think this program will be great, but the key word here is WILL. It's just not ready for the consumer.

This program has basically eliminated cheating.

"Clean, Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I like the easy to read and I love how much you can do on this program. Student info at you fingertips! Colors help your eye find headings easily.

What do you dislike?

I would prefer to be able to go directly to the grades when I log in instead of having to click on extra links. Would LOVE to choose a highlight color to signal failing grades so that I can easily spot them when reviewing grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This system is simple to use and has many different features.

Review 360 part of this makes it easy to report discipline issues without interruption to my classroom or having to make a phone call.

Catherine G.

"PowerSchool"

What do you like best?

I like that I can keep track of attendance and grades online.

What do you dislike?

I hate that SPED students are considered in another class. However, I do not know if this is a county thing or a PowerSchool thing.

I am unable to easily access students’ other grades. If I were able to see the performance of struggling students across all their classes, I would have a better understanding of their academic work.

Sara J.

"Good transition to standards-based grading"

What do you like best?

I was skeptical when my district unrolled PowerSchool for more than just attendance management, but overall I think it's been a solid tool to maintain student records during the transition to standards-based report cards.

What do you dislike?

Many of the menus make it hard to see all of the features at once; there is a lot of scrolling. The UI is not the cleanest or most intuitive thing I have ever used.

PowerSchool has allowed my team to manage student record keeping relatively easily and track/filter student progress. It's well-integrated; a single home for all of the information we have to keep on students.

Robert M.

"Ease of access and nice interface"

What do you like best?

I like the navigation and ease of use compared to Edline. I particularly like the global view which shows a snapshot of all of my daughter's classes.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I have not run across anything I dislike. I also plan to look at the mobile versions of powerschool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend it as it provides a very flexible level of management for keeping track of classes and the system simple and quick.

I have near real time awareness of my daughters performance and can help her keep track of her grades and communicate directly with her teachers in a timely manner.

Joyce K.

"PowerSchool "

What do you like best?

We love PowerSchool. We have been able to customize it to meet our needs. Our teachers, counselors, and administrators as well as our students and parents are very happy with with the PowerSchool Learning Management module. Users find navigation intuitive. It interfaces seamlessly with our PowerSchool SIS. Teachers have set up class and club pages to communicate with students and their parents. Administrators can “shadow” students and teachers to find out what is happening. Parents can see when major tests are scheduled or projects are due. Rosters are updated automatically three times a day so students and parents will see correct information when the student changes classes. There are dozens of videos and how-to instructions available about how to use various features such as blogs, wikis, polling, and much more. It helps build collaboration among teachers and administrators and provides data for supporting decisions with analytics.

What do you dislike?

The grading section does not yet allow for categories of grades as PowerSchool does. Therefore, we cannot accurately reflect the students' grades in the Learning Management module. Parents have to look at assignments in the LMS and then go to PowerSchool to see averaged grades. It will be wonderful when they can get this piece in place.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

PowerSchool is constantly improving. We think this LMS is well worth the investment. All of our constituents love it. I have not heard one complaint.

Teachers are using far less paper and ink, not to mention their time by distributing handouts via the PowerSchool LMS. Our administrators and our Guidance Counselors like being able to distribute information this way too, but what they like even more is the fact that they can "shadow" a student or teacher and see exactly what is on the teachers' sites and what documents students are receiving and doing. Students and parents like have all of their assignments and due dates in one place

Bradley S.

"Great Mobile Apps, Integration, and customizations"

What do you like best?

The PowerSchool Teacher, Student and Parent Mobile apps are modern and rich in features. This is an area we found sorely lacking in many other SIS solutions. Our parents LOVE IT!

We are able to integrate almost any education system we come across. Meal Tracking, Online Enrollment, Online Payments, Special Education solutions, LMS and much more. This is huge!

What do you dislike?

Only a few database fields are problematic. One is the Student E-Mail field. It's fine in all core areas of PowerSchool. But it's very difficult to interact with 3rd party integrations. There are work arounds, but it should be a lot better. Especially in a district that controls the email account of the student. It's a silly dislike and minor honestly, but a real one.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Upon implementation, have a team ready.

Where to start! You can integrate with so much. LMS solutions can auto populate teachers, students and classes. Our online enrollment system can enroll students without double entry. Parents can pay balances using our 3rd Party integration with our Credit Card merchant. Every time I need an export for photo day, 3rd party assessments, or the like, PowerSchool can do that for me without a call to support. It's customizable and open enough to make it do what we want the way we want.

Learn more about PowerSchool SIS

PowerSchool SIS Videos

Learning about PowerSchool SIS?

* We monitor all PowerSchool SIS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.