Adobe InDesign Reviews & Product Details

What is Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Adobe InDesign Profile Details

Adobe InDesign Profile Details

Adobe
Description
Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.
1982

1-50 of 2512 total Adobe InDesign reviews

Adobe InDesign Reviews

1-50 of 2512 total Adobe InDesign reviews
Marketing and Content Manager

"A must have application for flyer design "

What do you like best?

Flyer design is easy to do, InDesign has all the features that our business needs, specially to do the print marketing our business needs in order to grow. Using the software is intuitive and fast, so we are done in a few hours and we can move on to the next task at hand. Subscription model helps to keep our cost low by paying on the go as we use instead of a big payment.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is not cheap, We only use the software a few times a month, less that 40 hours a month so we'll prefer to pay on the go as with Amazon Web Services instead of paying a monthly fee.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are using more Adobe Software consider the monthly payment annual plan, it's the best value for the money and doesn't break the bank since it's payed month by month

Flyer design for our marketing and print content design.

Computer aided design engineer

"Design and Layout solution"

What do you like best?

The software helps user create design and publish document for both digital and print media. It is a reliable tool and I have not faced any major glitches with it. As such, I consider it to be the best software for layout design in the market so far. When it comes to how to use it, it is very easy. If you used any other adobe software then this will seem familiar as all of them have same interface. It also has a way of adjusting and viewing a picture from a mobile device or laptop.

What do you dislike?

It can prove to be difficult to use at the first time. For a new user. you have to take time and learn how to utilize the features and tools of this software. The learning curve is many features and tools Indesign has. Apart from this, it is not good enough for photo editing. If you want a really good output, then you have to buy Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Indesign where the latter will be for editing text. This is because Indesign software do not have photo editing features to help you edit the best pictures for your project.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are using Indesign software then also buy Photoshop for photo editing. Both the software go very well hand in hand.

It has solved a couple of issues for my design work. Previously, I had to hire a professional to handle the brochures, templates and presentation for my work. This proved to be costly as I could not do it myself. However, with this software, I am able to complete all those works without the need for help from outside. It has allowed me to be more efficient where I can complete all the design work on my own. Everything is seamless which adds to the efficiency and quality of my projects.

Freelance Graphic Designer
(Myself Only)

"My ideal ally to create perfect pages"

What do you like best?

In my work I only work on designing periodical magazines, triptych bulletins and different printed materials that must be distributed both online and in physical format.

InDesign is the ubiquitous program to perform this type of work since it has all the tools that a layout artist could need to perform his work.

What do you dislike?

One of the things I do not like about Adobe InDesign is that the updates every time contribute less, and I see that many errors that should already be corrected have not yet been solved, for example, the program keeps closing without warning and without saving changes It is difficult to conceive that after years in the market these problems have not yet been solved.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a graphic designer and soon you are going to launch to the market having InDesign as one of your cards under your sleeve will help you to get more clients since there are few designers who really dedicate themselves to master this program.

It uses InDesign almost daily thanks to the versatility that its layout and page design tools give me thanks to its integrated grids in the program.

In this sense I only have to choose the grid that are most suitable for the design I am working on, and simply attach the elements such as text and images on each of the pages while I am working, which helps to reduce the number of hours that I must devote to each project.

In short it is one of those programs in which one cannot even conceive This market today.

Freelance Graphic Designer
(Myself Only)

"With InDesign I can create professionally looking documents systematically"

What do you like best?

I am not a lover of magazine design, in fact, the mere idea of spending part of my time in front of the computer looking at reticles and organizing text, causes me a little repulsion. But I have to face it, because it's part of the job and being a graphic designer.

With InDesign, this aversion I felt to the design of documents and layout, has been alleviated a bit, since this Adobe program has allowed me to have my predefined templates to make this task more bearable.

What do you dislike?

There are not many things that I do not like about InDesign. It makes a task as boring as the design of pages more bearable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In short, my recommendation for future users or for those who are thinking of a program that will help them be more effective in diagramming and layout, is to learn to master InDesign. It may be a not so fun job, but InDesign makes it a little easier.

Some of my clients require me to help them redesign their web pages, others may ask me to redesign their CVs or resumes and give them a more modern look. I can do this thanks to the tools of page creation, text, or the possibility of importing images and graphic elements in other formats of Adobe programs such as Illustrator or Photoshop. I like that I can organize work folders and put my resources there as logo designs and visual effects, and place them anywhere with the Content Collector and Content Placer tools.

I can have preset parameters such as margins, page sizes, sizes and text fonts, and have predefined templates for when I have to repeat the same jobs over and over again.

Freelance graphic designer
(Myself Only)

"The design of pages made easy thanks to the king Adobe"

What do you like best?

I love how I can transfer all my ideas from my imagination to reality thanks to all the Adobe programs, and thanks to InDesign, I can create spectacular portfolios and photo albums for my clients. It has never been so easy to design spectacular virtual documents in PDF format or for web pages.

What do you dislike?

What I do not like is that I have to spend a lot of time watching tutorials to be able to use it well, sometimes I think I have mastered a technique to find that I have to do more steps than I had missed, it should be more intuitive to use its interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Most users try to get away as much as possible from the responsibilities involved in the design of pages, something understandable because nothing else the name of this task is intimidating, but if they use InDesign, they will realize that much of the work has already been automated by Adobe, so it becomes a not-so-boring task.

In my work, Indesign helps me organize the photographs I have taken of my clients in spectacular virtual photo albums, something that I am very much asked for. I can also keep my web portfolio up to date, since it allows me to structure all my work in a very visual and attractive way. Sometimes, as a freelancer, my clients have asked me to improve their online profiles and structure their portfolios, this I have also achieved in a very attractive way thanks to the InDesign tools, since I can use my designs created in Photoshop within this software.

Marketing Associate

"Greatest product to have under your belt"

What do you like best?

I can't even scrape the surface with the number of times I've had to use Adobe InDesign. I began using this product when I was in high school, and from there, I was able to use the skills from my yearbook class to design all essays, books, and content for college. After graduating from college, I am STILL using it for my current job. You can craft resumes, you can write books, you can design flyers and magazines, the options are endless. You can even make business cards! I've used it for everything, I prefer to write any content I want to look nice, on InDesign.... and... it's SUPER user-friendly. Even a beginner is able to use the adapted templates to be able to personalize the content they wish to.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much I dislike. I am a paying member, and I've never had an issue. Adobe is very responsive if payment doesn't go through, or other things alike. It would be possibly nice to have a representative assigned to me? But even in that case, I feel that would require me to pay more, which I don't really feel the need to do. Sometimes a tutorial of features again would be nice, but I haven't even explored if that's an option with the product, I am generally content with its services.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely watch tutorials and use the templates Adobe gives you!

I am solving business problems left and right! If you think about it, having an option to be able to personalize a business's logo, business cards, t-shirts, flyers... you are able to provide cohesion in business with some simple clicks, and you can feel proud of doing it on your own without contracting out the work. I love it!

Graphic Designer
(Myself Only)

"Layout after layout at your fingertips"

What do you like best?

InDesign is a program that simply has no rival in its niche. It is extremely easy to create fabulous designs of interactive magazines with their pre-designed reticles, which give a very professional look to everything you need to do for your clients. From magazines, books, blogs, portfolios for designers, photographers or anything else you can imagine.

Indesign turns what used to be an exhausting task that I always tried to avoid into something that I really enjoy.

What do you dislike?

One of the things I do not like is that if you have too many pages in one document, they will all consume a good part of your RAM and system resources, so it seems that no matter how good your computer is, there will always be moments in your work it can flow slowly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Users who fear approaching the world of layout because they think it is one of the least creative areas of design, should know that layout is one of the areas of work with the greatest potential to make money, and where you can also get the most out of it. to your artistic potential, since the possibilities are only limited by your imagination, since you can create fantastic text design creations that will impress your clients and thanks to InDesign you can open up to a new market that can give you a lot of work.

One of the things that I can take advantage of and that help me to streamline my workflow is that vector designs, such as logos and typographies, or vectorized image designs, I can host them in Creative Cloud and import them directly in the part of the document I want to edit, so it becomes very simple to integrate all your creations in the same project, saving many steps that had to be taken before the integration of the cloud in all Adobe programs.

Community Manager

"Adobe InDesign"

What do you like best?

The best application for the application for the digital composition of pages. InDesign for text design is the best Adobe has created.

1.- Allowing you to incorporate logos, numbering of pages, among many other elements of designs.

2.- It also allows to create columns and incorporate rules that help maintain a standardization throughout the design.

3.-Add the indentation l to the print file so that your printer knows where the pages should be trimmed.

4.-Assignment of font styles to paragraphs, this allows to create styles that are applied throughout a project.

5.-Packing or packaging. to send a document to print or export to a PDF ready to print.

What do you dislike?

I dislike it when it comes to extensive projects that contain images. In particular it is a little complex to insert the photo inside the bounding box to adjust it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Adobe Indesign for the construction of heavy text and for the graphic elements I would recommend Adobe Illustrator, which integrates very well with Indesing.

This tool has allowed us to have a series of documents in their different versions, standardized and digitized, ready for printing if required. Produced with professional graphic design quality.

The hiring of a third party is not required for the preparation of the reports.

Graphics/Photography Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education

"Best design layout program available"

What do you like best?

InDesign is an affect layout design program with endless possibilities. As part of the Adobe family it's full of detail and customization, and when it comes to laying out multiple page documents, I haven't used anything that even comes close. Knowing, or previously using an Adobe program helps, but certainly not impossible to pick up from scratch. Partnered with Adobe Photoshop as well, it's simple to edit certain images used for documents, and have them automatically re-link to the InDesign Document.

What do you dislike?

File saving with large programs can get tricky, especially if you use a shared location. All the materials for your files have to be stored locally and not moved, for InDesign to pull the information. This isn't tragic, but just have to make sure things are kept in the same location.

Design layouts like PDF's and Brochures have been my main purpose. My recent PDF was 12 pages, and I was able to design the main pages and duplicate easily to repeat the design. Easy to switch between pages and arrange pages too.

Jeffrey Wert
(Myself Only)

"Top-tier page layout and production software. Period."

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign has so much power. Any design or layout function is easily mastered and easily reproducible. It also has many plug-in capabilities with outside software making data and image linking. I've created entire product catalogs, car show signage with banners over 50ft in length, to the most simple business cards. It is the bread and butter of my design portfolio.

What do you dislike?

The cost of the software is high and any time a new teammate needs to be added to the plan, that's even more.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If creating any type of physical collateral, InDesign is the perfect option. It integrates seamlessly with the other Adobe products as well as many other outside products. A must have for anyone serious about top-quality design work in the physical realm.

Creating large, multi-version catalogs, newsletters, print ads, flyers, signage and more. Easily able to mock up and produce large amounts of data-driven design and easily communicate and collaborate.

Art Director

"Great for print and publications"

What do you like best?

InDesign is a great tool for creating multipage publications such as catalogs, brochures, or any type of print spread. The ability to create beautiful, interactive e-catalogs is wonderful. But at it's roots, the print program reigns superior when creating documents with large page counts. The program is excellent when type setting and print are your main priorities.

What do you dislike?

InDesign is slightly more cumbersome than the other programs in the Adobe Creative Suite. It's functionality and features different dramatically from that of Photoshop and Illustrator giving it a steeper learning curve for those unfamiliar with this specific program.

Most recently, I used to InDesign to create a 30+ catalog for the company I work for. I've also recently used InDesign to create presentation decks and spread ads. In the past I've used it for an array of projects from RFPs to newsletters to calendars. It really can tackle almost all of your print jobs.

Freelance Designer
Design

"Very Large Documents"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy using Adobe InDesign. Initially I was extremely hesitant to try to use it for documents and other brochure design. The learning curve for this product was very minimal for me (I come from a adobe design background). I barely needed to go over any tutorials because it is very similar to Microsoft word.

What do you dislike?

There wasn't much that I disliked about Adobe InDesign. Some of the elements are a little glitch-y for me. My computer has 32 GB of RAM and it seemed a little clunky and slow sometimes. I like and dislike that we are able to change the resolution to make the load time better (sometimes I forget that we can do that!). Some parts of the interface are confusing and I also don't like how some of the elements are 'editable' (needing to click very specific spots on the text boxes).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to design documents that require organizing a lot of text - this is the Adobe product for you!

Adobe InDesign is a very good tool for designing things for clients that need physical print design and design elements that are too simplistic for Adobe Illustrator. For example I needed to make very large text based designs for a museum, it was a very large booklet, with many pages, for their displays. I originally tried using Adobe Illustrator but it was too complex of a program and made the design more challenging to work with. This program is great for menu designs for restaurants too!

Graphic Apparel Designer

"Amazing Layout and print design program. Great for collateral marketing design"

What do you like best?

I like just about everything the program offered, but my favorite this is the master pages. These bacilar let you automate pages to have the same layout and look and you can assign them to pages throughout your flyer, magazine, booklet, etc. Helps tremendously to streamline things as well as keeps your space organized. You can have mustiple mater pages witching one document so it allows you to do page by page “templates” within a single document. I also love the outline view that lets you see the order of your pages and how it will look. The program make it easy to align objects and to namvigate between pages helping to make you page look clean. I’ve never had any crashing issues and importing from

Photoshop or Illustrator is a breeze. Also you have the option to view in high definition or not in order to save computer speed which is nice if you are working on a laptop or a machine that isn’t as powerful.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I would say im

It too keen on is the swatches part of InDesign. Each time you import and image it adds every swatch that is part of that import that can sometimes make your search list huge. Especially if you are trying to match a color in your document text or shapes you have created. If there was a way to keep the frequently used colors towards the top end that would be helpful. Originally the fact that when you imported an image and it was placed within a clipping box was something I had to get used to, but now it’s something I think is very functional within the program that allows thing to look uniform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s worth the learning curve. Makes layout design for web, catalogs and any marketing materials way easier and more manageable. Plus beating able to turn your design into a live digital booklet for your website is a great bonus.

It helps to streamline catalog and flyer/ marketing projects. Before we were doing these in Illustrator, but it wasn’t functional enough. InDesign makes it easy to keep things looking the same and even easier to make changes/ updates to existing projects without changing the layout of the project.

Graphic Design & Marketing

"InDesign = #need"

What do you like best?

InDesign is the best tool for multipage documents and/or image-heavy documents. It is great for when you need to layout and format large amounts of text such as a menu or an article. I also use InDesign for data merging, which is a life-saver. I could not do my job without InDesign.

What do you dislike?

I think there is a larger learning curve for using InDesign over other Adobe design programs, such as Illustrator or Photoshop. Especially for those who have never used the Creative Suite at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely give it a shot. Use some online tutorials to get a feel for the program as it can be overwhelming at first but it is a powerful tool once you get the hang of it. Shortcuts are your BFF.

The ability to data merge in a step-and-repeat-style from a spreadsheet into InDesign is a huge time saver. It has helped me many times.

Student Intern
Sports

"Indesign Innovation"

What do you like best?

What I love about indesign is the ability to not only edit documents but the freedom to create your own templates and layouts. Indesign has a lot of options to set up any materials the way you want to. The best part of indesign is the level ob abilities it offers. There are many layers to certain tools that allow the user to advance their experience.

What do you dislike?

The biggest obstacle with Indesign is the sidebar. The tool used to select what function you want to use is not the strongest and may cause confusion for people who do not regularly use Adobe products. Another set back of using this product is the number of functions. There are a lot of options when using this product and can also cause confusion for users. Finally, those who may not see themselves as creative may have a hard time using this tool because it allows the creator to do as they please instead of setting it up for them.

Indesign has allowed me as an employee of a larger company to create unique documents that set us apart from our competitors to gain the attention of our target market. The drawback is the lack of knowledge with my colleagues have with the product.

Senior Publications Specialist

"A Necessary Lawful Evil"

What do you like best?

InDesign is the leader in publishing software for a reason — no one else offers such a well-packaged product to create print or digital publications. It integrates with the other big products of the business — Photoshop (photo/rasterized art) and Illustrator (vector art/logos) — and comes with a connection to Amazon's cloud for hosting digital publications in just a few clicks. There are lots of settings to customize your workspace to meet your projects' needs as well.

What do you dislike?

InDesign is not a stable program. It is prone to frequent crashes, especially when working with the digital side (video integration is a major pain sometimes) or other large files, and its recovery system — while helpful — could be more reliable than it is currently. There are a handful of programs that do the same thing that InDesign does, to varying degrees of success. InDesign takes the win because it comes included in the Creative Cloud subscription bundle, so even though it is a good product, it's disappointing to know that we mainly use inDesign because we were already paying for the related software rather than because it is the best product for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

InDesign is a good product, but it's not a perfect product. Give it a try before you buy if possible to see if there are other options that would work for you.

Using InDesign was a big step up from our previous workflow because of the integration between InDesign and Photoshop. Now our graphic designers are able to switch between the two programs with ease to make updates to items that would normally require several files changes and a long search through our servers. Digital Guides are another huge benefit. InDesign holds a lot of support for digital productions beyond its uploading system. I can make as many versions of a digital guide I want at different links, or I can update the same link as needed; updates go very quickly, so we aren't waiting around for a tech team to handle anything but can get our links to clients so quickly. The analytics tracked by Adobe are minimal, which is disappointing but not a deal-breaker because we are able to make use of what they provide well enough.

Freelance Photography

"The industry standard now"

What do you like best?

This software is the standard in the industry. With Indesign CC you now get updates free so you're always up to date. It perfectly integrates with Photoshop and Illustrator. At one point in time QuarkXpress was the king of design software but poor customer service and poor updates made it obsolete. Many in the industry switched because of this.

It's also cross platform meaning that if I design something on a Mac and need to hand the project over to another designer, they would be able to open the file on a PC and continue working without any compatibility issues.

What do you dislike?

There are the occasional crashes but its a very rare occurrence. There's not much to dislike about this product or any Adobe product. It just works like most of the software Adobe puts out. I will say that their prices have been creeping up over the last few years and they are reaching a point where it's becoming almost unsustainable for me to use the Creative Suite. I am in Canada and once you convert the costs from US dollars, it's a monthly cost that makes it a tad expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a design professional this is the app you want to use. Period!

I have no worries when I send my files to the printer. I know it will just work.

Group Marketing Manager

"The most user Friendly design software"

What do you like best?

easy to use, you can do a bit of everything! From easy simple vector, to publication layouts, posters, flyers... I like how you can pretty much do any of the basics you can do on Illustrator from the comfort of a software that has more to offer.

What do you dislike?

The lack of hability to do simple quick photo editing. Can drag a bit if you are using really heavy photography. Also, the lack of hability to import a PDF file is quite frustrating when you can do so on Illustrator. Sometimes it can also be a bit funny with small vector elements (such as logos and etc...)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would strongly advise you to do some training before trying to start using it as it can be slightly overwelming with all the tools and options that it might actually put you off. However, if you have a basic understanding of how vectors/publication layout works etc, a quick run through this software will give you the needed basics for you to use it. I would also say that if you have used Illustrator before, it's very likely that you will find your way around Indesign with ease and on your own without the need of someone showing you the ins and outs of it. I've used indesign for over 10 years now, from colleage to work life.

Taking design of collateral in house rather than having to pay an external studio.

Marketing Specialist

"Must have for graphic designers!"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to create visually appealing projects on InDesign.

The frame tool is extremely useful.

The snap to line feature makes it very easy to line different pieces of the project up.

I'm also a huge fan of how they make it so easy to change the spacing between letters as well as between lines; this is an EXTREMELY useful tool when creating brochures or anything with a lot of words really.

What do you dislike?

I think there could be some more tools similar to Photoshop. I often include photos in the documents I create in InDesign, and it's annoying how if I want to make a few small changes to a picture, I have to go edit it in Photoshop and then bring it over to my Indesign document. Some things as little as adding color overlay would be extremely helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it! If you don't trust me, give it a try. They give you a week free. You wont' want to go back.

My company has a high need for brochures, flyers and similar materials. Because of InDesign, we are able to make these quickly. We are also able to create them so that they are eye-catching to customers.

Corporate Trainer
Staffing and Recruiting
(10,001+ employees)

"Best tool for creating multi page documents"

What do you like best?

InDesign, when coupled with Illustrator and Photoshop, is an incredibly powerful tool for creating multi page layouts. While you could do nearly all the tasks that InDesign does with Illustrator, Illustrator is a memory hog and doesn't deal well with large page count documents. InDesign also makes it easy to change your designs for different platforms or print services without having to completely redo them.

InDesign also seamlessly integrates Adobe Stock which greatly speeds up the design process.

What do you dislike?

The default display performance setting (typical display) is pretty much useless these days, and doesn't speed up the processing enough to be noticeable or useful. In the past when computers were not as powerful, this feature was really useful for managing how much RAM was used, but now it's just annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be intimidated by InDesign. If you know Illustrator or Photoshop you will be able to hop right in and use it with some skill the first time you open it. Lynda.com has some excellent tutorials for users of all skill levels. Adobe Stock has lots of templates (many free) that will get you design professional looking documentation right out of the gate.

I use InDesign to create all of our training documentation for the company. Being able to easily create documents that look the same when printed or experienced digitally saves me a lot of time and allows me to spend more time in the field training staff and less time creating documentation.

Media / Music Director
Media Production
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Great software for professional designers"

What do you like best?

The best part of Indesign is the flexibility. You can start with a blank canvas or download a professional template. The software is great for both digital and print designers. It also has the ability to integrate your Adobe CC libraries flawlessly.

What do you dislike?

Working with frames takes getting use to if you are new to graphic design. Also, I have always struggled with swatches and colors as it works differently than other Adobe products. If you are learning design, you will eventually understand why it works that way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Watch some getting started videos on YouTube. If you are already familiar with the Adobe ecosystem, Indesign shouldn’t take long to learn.

This software is much more advanced than Word or Pages. You can take your design to the next level and you have many export options. With an Adobe CC account you can even publish interactive PDFs online and get analytics.

Independent Contractor
Computer & Network Security

"My Adobe Indesign Review"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Adobe Indesign is it's ability to create any type of publishing documents with so much ease. It's so much more effective than doing it in Photoshop because you have multiple page views and can edit something on each page.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about it is some of its User Experience. Sometimes, its hard to location something or some ki of feature and I have to search up where I can find it. With Photoshop, everything is just there and simple to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is an amazing tool because it can making any of your publishing needs come to life and such an easy and effective you. There's also a bunch of tutorials online if you ever need help with making your designs look nice, so it's definitely a good tool to have.

I am making printing documents for a Non-Profit charity organization. I'm usually making a bunch of brochures, books, and other publishing elements for the many events that this organization does throughout the year.

Good operating system for business environments

"Create newsletter"

What do you like best?

It can be used for simple designs like a resume but give it just a little more intrigue Indesign is my go to software when producing print and online marketing materials I find that InDesign allows for one's creativity to flourish

What do you dislike?

Not much It would be great for even better integration between Adobe family products, the integration is good but could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Buy it with the cloud since overall its a better deal En caso contrario, te tocará estudiar bien la interfaz, pero vale la pena, porque es un software que tiene mucha utilidad en el diseño. If you want to create brochures, digital magazines, printed books then Adobe InDesign is the software that you need

I'm saving time by using indesign over Photoshop and am now able to use that extra time saved elsewhere In Design also allows me to make things mobile optimized. It is better than using Adobe Illustrator, as it handles multiple pages better, and handles spreads over multiple sheets

Clinical Recruiter

"Best desktop publishing software for professionals"

What do you like best?

Adobe has integrated all their products in such a way that whatever you do in one program is easily manipulated in another. Importing graphics and vectors from Illustrator or Photoshop in native format is a breeze... and you keep the ability to edit originals from within InDesign. Adobe also provides plenty of templates and presets, so even though most professionals develop and use their own layouts, Adobe is reaching out to those with less experience, allowing them to jump into the Creative Cloud realm.

What do you dislike?

As with most Adobe products, which are geared towards professional use, there's a learning curve. However, Adobe has improved the user interface over the years, making the software more accessible. The only other issue I have is getting tech support. Adobe provides plenty of online resources but when it is time to connect with another human, it can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want the best, get InDesign. Is it the easiest? By no means, but you will not regret investing time and resources in becoming proficient or training someone in your organization to use this piece of software.

Integrations between platforms, operating systems, and software has been a great time-saver. The ability to create documents ready for the press has also saved us a lot of time and money.

Editor-in-chief

"Flourishing Creativity with Adobe Indesign "

What do you like best?

I find that InDesign allows for one's creativity to flourish. There are limitless possibilities to which one can design with and the overall use of the program evokes new ideas. With being able to use InDeign it has allowed for me to venture into every possible avenue of creativity and likewise allowed for me to present my boss with different aspects of advertisements that they may like. All of which is able to be completed in a short about of time due to the effdecenty of the app itself.

What do you dislike?

Aside from the many positive aspects of the app, I find there to be a lack of help within the app itself. I find my self constantly turning to YouTube or google to figure out how to do a small/quick fix/edit. Otherwise I find myself not liking very few things about this app.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

One thing that I highly recommend is that before jumping on to any specific project is that you do you do diligence and learn the basic ropes of the program. Either find someone who knows the product well or learn from online courses such as community boards or youtube and or google. I personally began to learn from trial and error but that much longer than I expected to learn the ropes of the program.

I am using InDesign for the sole purpose of advertisement and other publications. I am not necessarily using it to solve problems.

Architectural Designer

"Adobe sometimes clunky, InDesign is a solid tool to help you organize multi-page documents."

What do you like best?

I like that InDesign allows you to link multiple vector and raster files, and offers several options to help you work more efficiently and take up less computing resources. For example, modifying the "display performance" option associated with images helped me to quickly crop images without loading the full image, which sometimes could exceed 20 MB file sizes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that at times that the mechanics of cropping or selecting the linked multimedia file was not smooth, or required several attempts to grab the right grip. For example, I sometimes attempted to use the regular selection tool, but the direct selection tool took precedence or vice versa.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are going to be creating many multi-page documents that require laying out image and vector based files, then InDesign is definitely a worthwhile product. Although not perfect, the software is specially designed for this purpose.

When we are trying to develop office marketing publications, or I am personally attempting to create a comprehensive multi-page portfolio, I use InDesign. I have been able to have an overall view of the final product, and see the arrangement of pages, which is hard to achieve in other software such as Microsoft Powerpoint

Owner/Photographer
Design
(Myself Only)

"A Playground for Creatives"

What do you like best?

InDesign affords me so much creativity, both for professional and personal use. I use InDesign for anything from creating my resume to designing clientele informational materials. Therefore, what I like most about InDesign is its versatility. It can be used for simple designs (like a resume) but give it just a little more intrigue. It can also be used for more complicated and comprehensive designs, too. InDesign is also one of the more accessible Adobe softwares. I am a self-taught InDesign user and felt as though it was easy to navigate and play with.

What do you dislike?

Though InDesign feels the most accessible of the Adobe softwares, it is still complex. Sometimes it feels clumsy and confusing to achieve a certain task and therefore lacks in being straightforward. It is challenging to ever achieve anything quickly within InDesign, thus demanding patience and time. Some features feel hidden and buried, causing some tasks to feel cumbersome. Even though I've used InDesign for years, I feel like there are still new tools I'm discovering, of which can be interpreted as both a positive and negative.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make use of readily available educational materials! There are many YouTube tutorials and articles/videos available online. Whenever I've run into a task I don't know how to complete/achieve, I've always been able to find answers and suggestions online. Also, don't be afraid to play! Part of the fun of InDesign is just experimenting and seeing what you come up with.

As a photographer and business owner, InDesign allows me to create informational materials for clients in a stylized and artistic manner. It elevates my brand and allows for cohesion across all aspects. Clients often compliment said informational materials and says it brings an extra dose of professionalism.

Graphic/Web Design Student/Freelancer
(10,001+ employees)

"Adobe InDesign for print layouts"

What do you like best?

I primarily use Adobe InDesign for print layouts, but I've also used it to create pdfs primarily made for the intention of digital screen viewing. It is great for print and document layouts because it has the ability to arrange/rearrange pages, add page numbers, etc.

What do you dislike?

The way the page numbers are numbered by default does not start at 1 on the first page and it's sort of complicated to figure out how to change that. It's also more awkward to change/edit vector drawings than it is in Adobe Illustrator, but it can be done.

I've used it to create PDFs that show my design portfolio as a digital file attachment. I also use it to arrange pages of copies of text. It offers a lot of great customization options when it comes to adjusting kerning, leading, hyphenation, customizing word and letter spacing, etc.

Care Coordinator

"My software for making long detailed handout documents"

What do you like best?

I like that Adobe InDesign can make long booklets with multiple pages, and that when I send it out to our printing supplier, they are happy with the format and don't ask me to make any changes.

What do you dislike?

It is not a popular piece of software, so there are only a few people in the agency who are able to use Adobe InDesign so we can't work on the changes together.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You may need a training course to use it.

I use Adobe InDesign to make large handout booklets for our agency. It works well for large booklets, and it has features specifically for making booklets, like increasing the margins as it gets deeper into the book, as the paper bunches up. Our printing supplier asked us to use Adobe InDesign, and are able to use the files directly, which benefits us as it saves time.

Communications Manager

"My Favorite Adobe Product"

What do you like best?

When it comes to any project, I choose to go to Indesign first. Even if I am mocking up a logo design or quick idea, InDesign is my go-to. The interface is easy to understand and mostly consistent across all of their applications, which makes it even easier to use. I like the layout, the professional aspect of it, and the quality I receive.

What do you dislike?

When Adobe updates, it can be frustrating to learn where they have moved some items around. There is also so much that you are capable of doing in Indesign that it can get overwhelming, or you don't realize that you can do something quicker, because you weren't aware of the shortcuts or full offerings available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe Indesign is specifically created for publication use. If you are designing logos or trying to manipulate photography, then you might want to switch over to one of the other Adobe products. Indesign has always worked well for me, it's easy to grasp and does the job it's supposed to do. The industry expects for you to use Adobe in all capacities. This is worth it.

Indesign helps us create at least 50% of the graphics that we are putting out to potential students. Our magazine, postcards, rack cards, business cards, posters, flyers, etc., all come from this program.

The largest benefit is how easy it is to switch between all of the Adobe apps. I can insert a photo into my working file and quickly switch over to Photoshop to edit the photo, and it will update within my Indesign after a quick save. This saves me time and gives me peace of mind.

Apparel Designer
Apparel & Fashion

"Once you learn, it's second nature and perfect for any large visual project"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility of the program! It amazes me what I can accomplish. I use it for fashion design and illustrating layouts. I have found that it is the best and honestly the only option for me in designing consistent layouts. I like that I can share the same layout and so my team and I are all on the same page for presentations.

What do you dislike?

the time it takes to learn the program, I have a hard time creating patterns and adding them to shapes. I slo wish that I could easily make two or three lines side by side in the same shape or path that fit perfectly without tampering them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe is taking advantage of every opportunity to make their programs better and offering more features, it can be learned and once it is you'll create many amazing things!

I use to create layouts for presentations - It's has given me the opportunity to enhance designs and present them professionally!

Part-Time Faculty Instructor
Graphic Design

"Page layout and general design"

What do you like best?

InDesign is for me the easiest and by far the most user friendly page layout program I have used. It is intuitive and looks and works a lot like the other programs in the Adobe family. Each update seems to add or fix something I have been wanting to see, for example: multiple different size pages and complete control over the layout of tools.

What do you dislike?

It would be great for even better integration between Adobe family products, the integration is good but could be better. Customer service is not great. Hard to understand and often not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Defiantly recommend Adobe InDesign and works with Photoshop and Illustrator. If you work with others in the creative industry chances are they are using Adobe products as well.

Working on the same files with colleagues across the office is always helpful. This helps us work together and collaborate on projects.

Marketing Operations Manager

"Necessity for Designers"

What do you like best?

The best part of using Adobe InDesign is that it is by far the most intricate product out there as far as publishing software goes and Adobe is essentially the leader of the industry - which also means they will most likely be the first ones to have any new features to come. Because they are so pertinent in the industry it also helps to use Adobe InDesign when working with other clients/partners because they will most likely also be using it and that will make the integration of projects much easier. You can usually safely assume that any company with a design department is using Adobe products.

What do you dislike?

The main downfall of Adobe InDesign is really the price, and it is understandably so. Being that they are almost a necessity for designers, they can afford to price themselves that way. If you are in school or working for a company that has purchased Adobe, you can receive a discounted price which helps a little.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe InDesign is definitely the best of the best as far as design products but, unless you're a student or working for a company, it can be VERY pricey and you may be able to find similar (not as good, but similar) products that may better fit your budget. Again, there is no comparison as to who is #1, but not everyone may have the means.

At my current company, we are using Adobe InDesign for our copy decks that pertain to direct mail. The main benefit I have realized by using Adobe InDesign is that we can embed data from excel files directly into our copy decks. This has dramatically minimized user error. Also, InDesign just has more it can do to ultimately make processes more efficient compared to any other product we would use.

Graphic Designer
Graphic Design

"The best app for page layout"

What do you like best?

I like that it integrates very well with the Adobe Creative Suite. It's great for designing books, magazines, brochures, wide format, flyers, and posters. The best thing about is all the typography features. It also has the ability to create interactive PDF's and eBooks. Which are great. It is the industry standard for print layout. I love that it has a lot of Adobe Acrobat features out of the box and it's a great companion to Acrobat.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools are very complicated to use or you do not have the same experience creating shapes and graphics inside the tool itself. If I could create vector shapes with ease as I do in Illustrator, it would save me a lot of time. I wish it had accessablilty features embeded in the PDF's it creates. It does not do the tagged PDFs or accessability out of the box. I still have to tweak a lot of this in Adobe Acrobat.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start out using the program for smaller projects and work your way into more complicated jobs. There is a tutorial for everything.

Graphic design and printing services. It is able to create press quality PDF's and other file types necessary for production. It is high resolution by default and it's easy to create interactive PDFs'

Editor-in-Chief

"There is nothing better"

What do you like best?

I layout books, magazines, and newspapers professionally. There is no better option than Adobe InDesign. Indeed, there are no other options even remotely close to Adobe InDesign. It takes a little while to learn the basics, but once you understand what you're doing, it is a very easy and efficient way to do layout design.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that annoys me about InDesign is that you cannot select non-consecutive text. For example, if I want to select multiple words or phrases on a page to make italics, I would have to select them one at a time and apply the style, rather than selecting them all and applying the style once.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest taking a few courses online to learn the basics of InDesign. It's tempting to try to figure it out all on your own, but that will leave you with plenty of bad habits that will come back to haunt you later. The biggest issue that people have with InDesign is that they believe it to be difficult to learn. You can learn all you need to know to use it effectively in a few weeks if you take a reputable class on Lynda or something like that. Please consider investing in InDesign. If you need this product, then there is no other product that will even come close to fulfilling that need. You'll thank yourself later.

Book, magazine, and newspaper layout. It has genuinely never been easier.

Interior Designer

"Different but Good"

What do you like best?

The few times that I have been able to use Adobe InDesign it has helped for the project I was working on. Imagine a robust version of Microsoft Publisher. The best feature about this program was creating a standard presentation board. For a new board, we could insert images and architectural plans. If those images updated in the file, they were also updated in the presentation. This ensured that your board is always up to date.

What do you dislike?

A bit hard to get around the interface. When trying to select a text box or image box, it was hard to tell which one was selected. This often lead to deleting or moving the wrong part. Other than that, it works for what I need. It would be nice if all Adobe design programs used the same commands and controls.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not a bad program but Adobe illustrator and Adobe Photoshop could do the same things without having to purchase this program.

Presentation boards for clients. No need to start from scratch each time. This also ensures that multiple boards will have the same layout making for a much better looking presentation.