Gusto Payroll

Payroll, benefits, and HR made refreshingly easy.

Try Gusto free for one month

Work for Gusto Payroll?

Learning about Gusto Payroll?

Gusto Payroll Reviews

Ask Gusto Payroll a Question
Showing 296 Gusto Payroll reviews
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Gusto Payroll
Gusto Payroll review by Ryan R.
Ryan R.

"Finally a business software that actually makes things easier (with no additional work)"

What do you like best?

Taxes, compliance, and payroll in general are difficult for us. We are a creative company and weren't big enough to hire someone exclusively for these tasks. Gusto handled taxes for employees, tax compliance, new hire reporting, and of course the payroll for us when we weren't big enough to hire someone specifically for those things. Now that we are bigger, our bookkeeper is going to continue to use it because it costs us way more for him to take over those tasks than to let Gusto keep doing it!

What do you dislike?

I don't have a lot of downside if any. I would say the only thing I would love to see is the ability to send contractor time sheets to Gusto. Right now I can't find a timesheet app or provider that will allow me to classify personnel as a contractor and then send it with that classification to Gusto, but that really isn't Gusto's fault.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Even if you bring someone on to handle the things Gusto does, run the numbers, you might find out like we did that their automated system cost way less to perform those specific tasks and allows your new bookkeeper or accountant to get even more done in other areas.

Not having to file new hire paperwork or calculate payroll taxes saves us so much time. We recently added on Health Insurance too as well as time off accrual which Gusto automatically deducts and calculates for us!

What Payroll solution do you use?

Gusto Payroll review by Meg M.
Meg M.

"Gusto is a Dream in a World of Payroll Nightmares!"

What do you like best?

I love Gusto's extremely easy to use interface and excellent customer service. Payroll can be stressful and scary, but Gusto's software makes it a breeze. The dashboard is arranged in a way that makes sense and easy to find what you're looking for. Their customer services is kind, helpful, and extremely responsive—unlike many other payroll companies!

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot I don't like about Gusto. Every once and I while I get my administrator and user profile mixed up, but quickly realize my mistake. Overall, Gusto is an excellent payroll service and I recommend it to all my colleagues.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend trying out the different tiers of Gusto's payroll plans to find out which one is right for you! There's benefits to each level and you can switch plans at any time.

Gusto has made running payroll easy and stress-free. Now, running payroll only takes 5 minutes! It saves me time and money compared to other payroll companies. I also love that Gusto automatically makes federal and state tax payments on my behalf, giving me peace of mind that things are being taken care of.

Gusto Payroll review by Jordin N.
Jordin N.

"Easy to Update"

What do you like best?

I love that it is easy for workers to clock in and update their times and lunches accordingly. It is a great platform where all of the information is readily available to both employees and employers. One of the greatest things about Gusto is not having to wait for your W2 during tax season-- They send out notifications making it very clear when your W2 will be available, and the last two years I have been able to file my taxes before any one else around me waiting on their W2's in the mail. Paystubs are also easy to access and download directly to your computer, or you can store them in Gusto. Gusto also has really cute little sayings on the dashboard that often brighten my day.

What do you dislike?

Downside is there's no easy app you can just open really quickly to punch in. It's a little more of a chore to punch in and out everyday, and therefore really easy to forget. It is nice that employees can edit this if they forget, however you do need to be able to trust or confirm that those are the hours your employees actually worked if you choose to have that option available.

It is just a few clicks to issue and access payroll. So easy a non-accountant can do it!

Gusto Payroll review by Bethany M.
Bethany M.

"Thank goodness for Gusto!!!! "

What do you like best?

Gusto makes everything EASY. The interface is clean and information is easy to access there. Help is readily available via email or phone call and their staff is kind and knowledgeable. Employee self onboarding saves me hours of work each month. I love having all of my payroll expenses organized and synced to upload to my accounting software ( FreshBooks) automatically each week. And having my workers comp calculated and automatically paid weekly is a huge help!

What do you dislike?

It is really difficult to find something that would make me dislike Gusto! I really absolutely love this product and don't have any complaints!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have tried Intuit and ADP and I can assure you - Gusto is the one. There is nothing else like it- make the switch today!!! (They will make it easy!) You will be so glad you did!!!! =)

Having employees self onboard - including all required notices such as company policies, handbooks, sexual harassment policy, background check permissions, direct deposit information, etc- literally saves me hours each time we hire. I also no longer have to guess, worry and wonder about how much my workers comp bill will be because it is calculated and paid automatically each week based on my payroll. PTO is also automatically calculated. I don't even have to THINK about paying payroll taxes- it's all just HANDLED. I couldn't be happier!

Gusto Payroll review by Greg S.
Greg S.

"Effortless and reliable Payroll Outsourcing"

What do you like best?

Gusto, formerly ZenPayroll .... has been exactly what our small business needs as we have started as a sole proprietorship to LLC ... to the world-wide enterprise that we are today .... (ok, maybe not that last part). Gusto makes complicated HR requirements seem simple for our limited resources. Gusto helps our perception from our employees. It is very accomodating for our overseas employees

What do you dislike?

Historically , I was not satisfied with the ACH lead time ... especially on holiday weekends ... Gusto required me to get payroll submitted BEFORE the week was done - and that sucked. However, they have recently changed this and NOW I am no longer rushed .... I can get payroll submitted the latest on Wednesday and employees get paid ACH on Friday as expected. This has been resolved thankfully .

Recommendations to others considering the product

The onboarding process is customizable. Also, the employees can onboard themselves! I am happy with the level of support that we are getting from Gusto - throughout the years. They respond directly with the gov agencies and they manage insurance payment and withholdings.

Efficiency in the back office ... it's the best money we spend. It helps onboarding and helps is organized HR documents. Employees can access records via Gusto after they are FIRED ... without having to call us and get all awkward. ya know? Support is very receptive and they do help by responding appropriately.

Gusto Payroll review by Nicole C.
Nicole C.

"Perfect companion for a growing business"

What do you like best?

Their customer service. They are relentlessly supportive, which is so helpful when transitioning from a team of contractors to paid staff. We have a remote team and are often adding contractors frequently, and they're always readily available via phone and email – helpful, too! Lastly, the web interface is super intuitive. It's easy to navigate as an administrator and the platform for users is straightforward and clear. Love that they send friendly emails to all staff when they get paid. It's the little things.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything negative to say. I know it might be pricier than other options, but I don't have any complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! Especially if you're new to managing employees at your company. Their customer support alone is worth it.

Gusto Payroll transitioned us from paying contractors on other platforms to organizing all contractors, then transitioning people (and adding new employees) as full or part-time. The fact that they manage our insurance AND all our state and federal reporting make things SO easy. I was hesitant about paying a premium for this, but it's honestly alleviated so much burden from our small and mighty team. It makes payroll straightforward, transparent, and I'd go as far as to say pleasant!

Gusto Payroll review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Good Automation. Good Support. Frustrating if you have an Irregular Payroll Schedule."

What do you like best?

Gusto automates all the paperwork for hiring, letting people go, and filing their payroll paperwork. They've successfully done this for us for years even as we've moved around the country. Finding a single Accountant or team to handle multiple states like that would've cost us way, way more, and been a lot more back and forth, phone calls and paperwork. Gusto also helped us with a problem that was a mix of their and our fault, in a way that really did go above and beyond what I expected. The problem is laid out below, but Gusto split the difference and filed an amendment for one of the years that got screwed up, but not the other. I didn't expect any filing of corrections in that regard.

What do you dislike?

Gusto has a very frustration set of assumptions around your being a business that pays weekly, biweekly, or monthly. Their design and interface cannot imagine a business like ours, that pays when we get paid. Our clients pay when a project completes, and the money immediately goes to the employees and contractors that built that project. But Gusto will relentlessly email everyone enrolled in our account, including our Accountant who has no role in when Payroll happens, nagging them to run a Payroll that should NOT be run. This plays out in a lot of dangerous scenarios I had not originally considered. For example, each Monthly Payroll that Gusto's interface creates then sits there, permanently - you can't delete it or cancel it. You have to run it in some fashion. One obvious way to clear these out is to wait until it is time, and run the oldest one Gusto dumped on you. But as it turns out, Gusto doesn't file that Payroll item as having happened now, it backdates it to the arbitrary date it originally put on it. Which can result in a ton of back taxes, because that incorrect date is being sent to the IRS and state tax agencies. In our case, the back date crossed a year boundary and we are currently dealing with over $30k in back taxes we should not have had to pay. We might eventually clean it up, but, we will be out thousands in penalties no matter what that Gusto will not cover. We have asked Gusto to fix this problem for years and all we get is immense disinterest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your payroll schedule is weekly, monthly, or biweekly, it should be straightforward. If not, read on:

* Everyone who is allowed access will be relentlessly nagged in email to run Payrolls that *SHOULD NOT* be run. Help the impacted employees setup auto-deletes. Gusto will periodically change the subject line of these so expect to have to help them modify these auto-deletes.

* Run the Payrolls it dumps on you with $0 for every employee. Depending on your number of employees this can be quite the chore, but you're stuck with it every month. Never run them as actual Payroll; the habit will eventually get you into trouble when you accidentally cross a year boundary.

* Always run actual Payrolls as Off-Cycle.

Payroll automation.

Gusto Payroll review by Jeff B.
Jeff B.

"Every part of Gusto is delightful."

What do you like best?

The ease of completing every task. From adding employees, to paying employees, to adding contractors, to paying contractors, to being compliant with worker's compensation insurance, to issuing W-2s and 1099s. Gusto is just easy.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found any downsides yet. I was warned (by one of Gusto's competitors) that I should keep a close eye on my state taxes (being from Massachusetts, that certainly seemed like good advice). All's well so far though!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have your ducks in a row beyond just the payroll side. Gusto will make that easy but will call attention to the holes you've got.

Gusto allows us to work with a wide variety of independent contractors (that's a large part of our business) while also paying proper employees. The former, we were fine at previously. But when we added employees and worked to go from $x revenue to $x^2 revenue, we needed something scalable. Gusto was the right answer for that.

Gusto Payroll review by Joey H.
Joey H.

"Payroll and Benefits Made Easy"

What do you like best?

On-boarding is super easy, payroll is even easier. Management of benefits and adding benefits is also equally easy and straightforward. They walk you through everything step by step so you don't have to worry about or forget to collect any necessary info.

What do you dislike?

Administrative controls can be somewhat limiting. If you're an individual running the show, completing payment, and on-boarding everyone yourself then it's probably fine, but the controls you can grant to another individual don't allow you to truly let them handle things themselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the free walkthrough on their site, setup a trial, and if it really doesn't fit your company format then at worst you've got some ideas of what you're looking for in a payroll system

Issuing payment to contractors is super easy and straightforward. Literally just a few clicks and their payment is on its way! Adding business offered benefits has been a breeze and has opened new doors for our company to be able to provide more benefits to our employees.

Gusto Payroll review by andrew g.
andrew g.

"It Makes Payroll Management Easy."

What do you like best?

One thing that i really like about the software is the great customer support team. When i was user to the software payroll management issues. The support team went out of their way to help me navigate through the system.The customer support is super good and always available.

the software just make the whole idea of payroll management easy and exciting.At first one might some difficulties to navigate through bit when you get comfortable with it, navigation becomes supper easy.I also like the graphics in the software that makes it exciting and appealing for one to navigate through.

I also like the fact that it makes it easy for to easily access the document required for taxation.Additionally, it also help me see every paycheck breakdown.

Gusto is a less expensive product. It cheap compared to other product in the same line of business.

What do you dislike?

I hate that the liability account do not sync well. I also do not like the fact the fact it has pretty basic reporting option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is a tool that is good for both large and small businesses. It highly functional and less expensive.

The whole process of payroll management have become easy and exciting.

The software also allows us to easily access taxation document and file taxes in real time.

Gusto Payroll review by Jessica B.
Jessica B.

"Amazingly Easy To Use, Keeps Me Compliant"

What do you like best?

The time-saving and ease of use. Because Gusto integrates with our time management/scheduling platform (Homebase), running payroll each week takes just minutes. And when tax time comes, all of our documents are in one convenient place, so it doesn't take very long at all for me to compile everything I need for our accountant. It's really such an easy-to-use tool, but incredibly powerful and handles everything for us. Kind of like having our own HR department... which, as a company of 3-5 people, we certainly cannot afford to have on our own.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing. We've been using the software for a couple of years now and I haven't run into any issues at all with it. Always able to find what I need, and get help when I can't. Wish I had something negative to say to balance out all the good, but I really don't!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the price - it's an incredible value, especially for a small business, to have such a powerful tool at a really reasonable price. Look at the list of integrations, too - it connects with many other business software products (Quickbooks, Homebase, etc.) that makes everything even more streamlined.

We're a very small, family-owned business, and our duties involve not only management/admin/business responsibilities but also working in our storefront. Without much time to spare in general, we don't have a ton of time to dedicate to learning all of the ins and outs of payroll, the tax filing process, or the forms we need in order to stay compliant. Gusto takes care of all of that for us, all while keeping us in the know so we don't miss anything. We know what's being done for us, and that it's being done on schedule. It's a huge help and time saver for us. I don't think we'd have been able to handle the hiring process on our own, nevermind all of the extra paperwork associated employment.

Gusto Payroll review by luke f.
luke f.

"Great easy-to-use payroll system for all your needs"

What do you like best?

Their support team is incredible! They answered questions promptly, and do so with excellence. They are knowledgable and helpful. Their website and features are very intuitive and easy to use. You can create and account, take a brief tour of the site, and be up and running ready to work in a matter of a few minutes.

What do you dislike?

Their primary focus is not non-profits like the one I work for. There aren't many problems that we face because of this, but we have had to, at times, work with their team to help them understand our non-profit needs and how they are different than a traditional business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The company is very in tune with the needs of businesses and they are always innovating and adding new features to better serve needs.

I love that they take care of all of our tax filings with the IRS and provide end of the year tax documents for our employees. This takes stress off of us knowing the professionals who understand the rules are taking care of important tax needs.

Gusto Payroll review by Rose L.
Rose L.

"Huge Time & Money-Saver!!"

What do you like best?

After sitting down with our CPA and discussing the benefits of using a payroll service for our small business, my husband and I looked into various companies to perform this (what we consider to be tedious and really boring) task. A family member suggested that we use Gusto, so we gave it a shot and never looked back.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far! This product has been easy peasy, even for rookies like us!

Recommendations to others considering the product

We can't say enough good things about this product. We're undoubtedly putting more money back into our bank accounts and less greys on our heads because of Gusto.

Gusto not only saves us a ton of money on our taxes, but it gives us a safe & secure method of making sure we file the appropriate forms and tax documents on-time. When it comes to payroll, we pretty much set it and forget it now.

We can't imagine spending hours and hours trying to figure out how to run payroll without Gusto.

Gusto Payroll review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"Complete Solution at a Competitive Price"

What do you like best?

Auto payroll. We pay our staff weekly and the auto features make this simple.

What do you dislike?

The off-cycle/bonus payrolls figuring out the checks/journal entries to Aplos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The checklist based approach to setup and the year end processes was very helpful. I like the dashboard which readily displays the actions needed. The only slight area of opportunity is sometimes the terminology assumes the user has a little deeper background in Payroll. As a first year Treasurer at our church, I'm new to the complexity of payroll, but Gusto has made it much easier than I expected it to be.

We struggled to get payroll tax filings done on time. Gusto has made this very easy and has eased a lot of the stress of ensuring we're calculating payroll and taxes correctly. While I had a little trial/error figuring out the off-cycle and bonus payrolls (mostly how the journal entries would post), the features have addressed all of our situations. The system even takes care of automatically adding the fringe benefit portion of the company vehicle.

Gusto Payroll review by Grey D.
Grey D.

"Gusto is amazing for automating small business payroll"

What do you like best?

Automation! It handles everything for you

What do you dislike?

I genuinely have not seen any downsides

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is payroll of the future. If you want to automate aspects of management and simplify your reporting requirements, this is the tool for you.

Making my life as a small business owner much easier! Gusto automates payroll so I don't have to remember it each month plus they take care of all my state and federal tax requirements. I really love the ability to electronically sign and file all of our forms. We try to cut down on paper and filing so using electronic copies that we can sign and keep online without ever having to print them saves us time, money, and space! Ultimately, Gusto is saving us a bunch of money too over hiring a payroll company to run this for us.

Gusto Payroll review by Michael  M.
Michael M.

"Saves me WAY more in Fines than I pay them"

What do you like best?

Gusto makes sure that all is well with Uncle Sam. When I get busy 'Tedious admin busywork' gets pushed onto the back burner. Left to my own devices I'd be getting fines and penalties every quarter for failure to file. Also, they are the best at customer service, although the app is so stable that I've really not called them in months.

What do you dislike?

Well the biggest drawback is that it's not free. It's not bay any stretch expensive, and it's worth every penny I pay them. But it's not free. It would be better if it was free. I'm still happy to pay for it, because it provides a valuable service. but it's not free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

go for it they are very customer friendly, and are really pleasant to work with, Accurate and timely.

They're doing a great job of keeping me out of jail for Tax Fraud. Not that I'm trying to commit tax fraud, but the feds (and the staties) take a dime view of not reporting income properly.

Gusto Payroll review by Akshita N.
Akshita N.

"Classic App With Super Customer care service."

What do you like best?

The best part of this app is the Customer Support,

Interface - The sweet little pig which will make your Mood light while the page loads

Chat Option - They are all time avalibale for help and respond ver quickly

Payroll Processing time is less and easy to Calculate all the reports

They are very good when it comes to documentation part.

There report section is easy to use.

Easy to take full summary of payroll along with Paystubs.

They have very nice staff. I just love using GUSTO.

i am the sole proprietor and the use of GUSTO is so east , I must say They are the best Payroll Provider.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such.

But they charge for all the active employees. If you skip the payroll then also you have to pay $6 for each candidate. I think they should charge for the candidates who will receive the payment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can opt for core plan, If you only want to run payroll from Gusto.

There are some other plans also than you can go for, If you want GUSTO to provide you benefits and Insurance. Also till now I found that GUSTO has the best Customer Service.

We have removed our CPA and it helped us alot. Cost cutting is the best benefits we have realized.

It helped us to keep all our data at one place. Whether it is account number or state ID or documents.

Gusto Payroll review by Jeanne L.
Jeanne L.

"Gusto simplifies all parts of our business"

What do you like best?

I love that they file taxes on our behalf and that they are always there to help navigate any issues we can't figure out on our own. The website is also designed in a super friendly way that doesn't overcomplicate things. Lastly, I'm glad they've added health benefits to their offering. It made the whole process much easier for us and saved us hours (and maybe days) of time setting it up.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a dedicated phone support line for company reps to call in for help. Maybe they already have that and I'm not seeing it?

Gusto allows our small startup to have a 1-man HR team because of all the tools and support it provides.

Gusto Payroll review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Payroll is actually fun now with Gusto"

What do you like best?

Gusto took an 8 step process to do payroll and reduced it to 2 steps. Everyone's situation and profile is different, but as far as my company is concerned, I can now do payroll in 2 steps each week due to the automation, ease of use and behind the scenes work that is happening that I used to do manually.

What do you dislike?

I wish Gusto had a real "app" for the iphone / android for the time clock feature. My employees use their Iphones to clock in and out each day and currently they have to go to manage.gusto.com through the web browser. An app would streamline this process

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are considering Gusto for payroll ask your self these questions:

1) Do I want the time spent on payroll decreased by as much as 90%?

2) Do I want someone else to file all my payroll forms for me?

3) Do I want the ability to do payroll anywhere there is interent?

If you answered yes to even one of those questions then Gusto is for you!

I used to have a full time employee doing payroll each week. No I do payroll in less than 15 minutes from my mobile phone each week. Time savings are the best benefit of Gusto along with their accurate tax tables that they keep updated. They are also filing all my monthly, quarterly, and annual forms for me so I never forget to do one.

Gusto Payroll review by User in Financial Services

"Easy to use and navigate"

What do you like best?

Gusto is an all around simple solution. Pulling in payroll, benefits, retirement, and all relevant tax and pay stub tracking needs to one platform. I have never been unable to find something that I need and when there were issues related to insurance, all of the relevant contact information for those help lines are readily available.

What do you dislike?

There were times where I needed a bit more information and needed to call a third party. Gusto provides all of the information at a very high level and 90% of the time what you need will fall into that category. If you do have additional or unique healthcare needs or are covering an extended number of people/family members, you will find yourself calling in for additional information needed.

Disparate HR systems have all been consolidated. In the past, companies that I have worked for had different administrators for payroll, benefits, and retirement. Tracking down the right people for each solution was time consuming. With Gusto, I have most of what I need from each of those categories in one easy to navigate platform.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Great payroll and HR software"

What do you like best?

Onboarding with Gusto is so easy, especially now that they have benefits as an integrated option. It’s easy to run multiple payrolls, edit personnel files, manage employee benefits, and track options for PTO. There are lots of integrations with their software which makes it a great central hub for all things HR and personnel related.

What do you dislike?

Transitioning our benefits to Gusto was not as smooth as I would have liked. We are also currently experiencing issues with hourly time tracking for employees who are not salary, and there does not seem to be urgency around the fix which is problematic. Customer service is friendly and hardworking, but they can be very slow, especially over email. It would also be great if there were more customizable options for pre-scheduling variable bonuses and commissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a few manual processes for things like commissions, but overall Gusto automates much of the payroll process. It makes it very simple to onboard new employees and track benefits, saving time and costs of labor.

This allows us to keep all of our payroll and benefits administration in one place. So much of it is automated, which saves us time and personnel hours.

Gusto Payroll review by Julie F.
Julie F.

"Perfection for Payroll"

What do you like best?

I am a sole proprietor and payroll can be overwhelming and daunting. Gusto has taken all the guesswork out of the process. Every step of the way they take care of federal and state taxes. I was able to obtain unemployment insurance through them and they linked me so I could obtain workman's comp. They made a process that I could have easily messed up.

Their customer service is also magnificent. I only have a few employees and with some companies, you get the sense they are not as attuned to the little guy.

What do you dislike?

Thus far in the process, I have run into no major issues with this product. I wanted to delete a message from the home page and couldn't seem to do it so if that happened a lot it could be annoying. However, this is a product I would recommend to almost anyone.

This is helping with all my HR needs and payroll. I keep learning additional little bonus applications in Gusto from other users. It also helps me keep track of PTO for my team. I plan on using it for more benefit management in the future. Using Gusto has taken a lot of worry off my shoulders and has streamlined the hiring, HR and payroll processes. Oh and I don't want to forget their cute information and positive notifications in the payroll emails. My team loves them! :)

Gusto Payroll review by Samantha W.
Samantha W.

" Intuitive and easily accessible platform"

What do you like best?

The platform is very intuitive and user friendly. Paperwork for new employees is a breeze and employees enjoy the easy to understand paystubs and interface.

What do you dislike?

The reporting function is not very customizable or robust, but you can export reports into Excel to customize as needed. Overall, still great functionality for the price.

Gusto has simplified our onboarding process and been a great resource in staying compliant with quarterly and annual report filings. We have also started to use their benefits administration features to rollout health, vision, and dental care along with their 401k partner Guidelines. The simplicity of having all payroll and benefits information accessible from one source has been very helpful from both the administrative and employee perspectives.

Gusto Payroll review by Martha M.
Martha M.

"I'm not afraid of payroll any more"

What do you like best?

Easy to use platform that provides guidance for corrections or upcoming due dates. Excellent customer service both from my dedicated reps and the various teams I've worked with for integration, etc.

What do you dislike?

I'll never enjoy running payroll as it requires me to maintain a schedule for people to get paid on time, but my clients see having payroll done for them as added value, so I appreciate that Gusto makes it as easy as possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the migration team whenever possible, switch ideally at year end but at least at quarter end and not mid-quarter. The lowest tier is still a full-service package and will likely meet the needs of most small businesses.

I didn't offer any payroll services before working with Gusto, so I lost out on clients sometimes that wanted a one-stop solution. The platform is easy to use so my clients (that run their own payroll) feel like I've found a great service for them, and for the clients for whom I run payroll, I feel confident that Gusto has my back in filing the necessary forms and knowing what taxes are applicable. I also love not being the one to collect personal data from employees to enter in the payroll system.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"I finally quit using Gusto after two years of tax mistakes"

What do you like best?

The user interface is pleasant. Bi-monthly payroll is easy to set up and use.

What do you dislike?

Since 2017, I've had multiple issues with Gusto filing my taxes correctly. Gusto had trouble filing SC taxes throughout 2018, and I spent a lot of time correcting errors, paying late payments, and filing state taxes myself. Then I was fined for incorrect payment for 2018 form 944 (federal tax). When I asked Gusto to begin filing quarterly 941s for 2019, they retroactively filed 941s for all of 2018, and I'm still trying to sort that out with the IRS. I am constantly checking behind them and doing the work myself. I've finally cancelled my service.

An employee who was already in the system entered her social security number incorrectly when she was re-hired, and it took three weeks to fix it and get her paid. At one point, Gusto kept telling me they'd fixed it, and that I was wrong. The notice to "please correct the information for xx employee" is still on my dashboard two years later.

Customer service is naive, at best. It takes days or weeks to get an email answer to questions (24 days in once instance in 2018), and even longer to fix the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Setting up and using payroll is very easy. For any problem I encountered, there were days and weeks of (sometimes unanswered) emails and phone calls to correct it. It's inexpensive, and you get what you pay for , in this case.

I used Gusto Payroll to manage bi-monthly payroll and state and federal taxes.

Gusto Payroll review by Emily C.
Emily C.

"Review of Gusto"

What do you like best?

I was surprised at how easy it was to navigate through. I usually have to be walked through a new process, but was able to figure out how to submit payroll all by myself, and very quickly!

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was an app for what I use this program for. I use it primarily for adding new employees and submitting payroll. It's fine using a web browser, but I always prefer if apps are available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely would recommend Gusto - if only for the payroll alone! It's less expensive for processing payroll and you don't have to rely on someone else to do it for you - it's all in your hands!

We are paying less money to process payroll; there is no longer a third party involved in payroll; and they have made it so simple that we're wondering why we didn't do this long before!

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Gusto Renewals/Benefits is an absolute nightmare: Renewals Team is incompetent"

What do you like best?

The only thing good about Gusto Benefits is that it is hosted by the Gusto platform so current employees can access their benefits information, and new employees can easily sign up for benefits. Previously this entire process was handled via email and paperwork, which was both insecure and inefficient.

What do you dislike?

Their entire renewals team is incompetent. We switched to Gusto Benefits from a local broker. While they assured me the transition would be smooth, it was not. Despite my pushing their team to start the renewal process sooner, their team chose to start the process at the end of November (during Thanksgiving week) and gave us only a couple of days to provide feedback. Unsurprisingly, we needed our broker to shop more plans, which took several days. Once our broker got back to us (on a Friday), she indicated that we needed to choose immediately or our enrollment would be late -- so we did.

Without my permission or knowledge, Gusto then sent out an automated email to my employees warning them that they had to choose a plan in the next 48 hours or they would miss open enrollment. My employees were caught off guard (as was I) and I had to manage their questions/expectations over the weekend.

Once we finally received all enrollments (by that Monday), our broker at Gusto said everything was good to go.

In January, several things occurred:

1. Gusto did not terminate insurance with our previous provider

2. Our new provider indicated our enrollment was indeed late, so each employee would need to file manual claims until they had processed our paperwork (everything went through at the end of January)

3. Gusto failed to enter employee details correctly, delaying processing of paperwork, and resulting in our employees - even after the provider had processed our paperwork - not receiving their cards until March

4. They failed to indicate that we were still responsible for premium payments (that does not happen through the platform), resulting in our insurance almost getting cancelled.

The whole process was a nightmare. Throughout this entire renewal window they refused to even give me a direct line to a broker or anyone else involved in the process, instead forcing me to send all messages to a generic support alias (benefits@ or renewals@) that went unanswered for days.

Most of all, Gusto demonstrated a complete lack of empathy and competency. Their lack of awareness on seemingly obvious coordination steps (e.g. not cancelling benefits with our previous provider, not inputting details correctly, not informing us to handle premiums directly), is frankly embarrassing.

When the next renewal window comes around, I will almost certainly be shopping around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not sign up for benefits.

- Payroll

- Benefits

Gusto Payroll review by Robby M.
Robby M.

"Amazing service, guidance, flows through to software, and it's great to know I'm in compliance"

What do you like best?

Payroll is extremely complex and that only increases in the context of HR matters. Gusto does an incredible job of responding quickly, helping me understanding how to stay in compliance, and fully automates the process. It's nice to know that my taxes are handled and my employees are paid so that I can run my business. As an accountant, I use the product for my practice, but I also am able to have full faith for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have no complaints about Gusto. I've never had a problem, they're supportive and do a great job explaining everything, communicating and reporting timely!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's excellent to use if you want compliance taken care of for you, you're comfortable using a cloud-based application, and use for direct deposit or check printing for employees. They scale, so you can change your level appropriate for your growth and size of your business.

Gusto makes it possible for me to have payroll completely off my plate and in compliance with State and Federal tax authorities. Furthermore, when I don't have an answer, they do! I rely on this kind of guidance to be successful in my practice. Payroll is not something I sought to specialize in, so by working with Gusto, my clients and I have payroll, we have visibility int he accounting application and we have streamlined our process.

Gusto Payroll review by Ingrid K.
Ingrid K.

"We love working with Gusto."

What do you like best?

I like that our employees ENJOY using Gusto. They tell me that Gusto is easy to use and makes keeping track of benefits so simple. As an admin, I like how easy Gusto makes onboarding and how I can take care of everything in one place. I can't wait to grow our company and use more of Gusto's great benefits!

What do you dislike?

I dislike waiting for new features!! That's less of a dislike and more of being impatient. For instance, I had Gusto's commuter benefits approved through our financial grapevine even though they are more expensive than our current solution but I was put on a waitlist for the benefit. I'm happy Gusto isn't taking on more than they can handle - it would ruin their stellar customer service - but I can't wait to move everything into Gusto!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try them - you won't regret it. Your employees will thank you.

Gusto makes it easy to handle our operations for our 11 person team. As the only operations employee, it's important that I am able to keep track of all things payroll/benefits/HR. Gusto keeps me on track :) Gusto made me think more about how to help our employees and what would make their experience better.

Gusto Payroll review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"User friendly for paychecks and record keeping"

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly the program is. Gusto is very easy to navigate and you can easily access paystubs, benefits, tax documents, etc. Additionally, anytime an employee needs to update their direct deposit information, they can easily do that through Gusto, which allows our employees to even split deposits between multiple accounts - easiest program I have used to complete that task.

What do you dislike?

Gusto is so easy to use, I honestly do not have any dislikes. I can't even critique their webpage design. It is simple and does everything it needs to do. Nothing more, nothing less. While the program could used enhanced integration, using Gusto specifically to manage payroll has worked for our small company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is simple, straightforward, and easy for our employees to use and navigate.

We use gusto to cut employee paychecks. Once paid, the employees receive their pay stub in their email, which they can easily check to ensure accuracy. The pay stubs are very straightforward and easy to understand. The program also stores all pay stubs and tax documents, so those important documents are always easy to access.

Gusto Payroll review by Karen K.
Karen K.

"So Grateful For Gusto"

What do you like best?

Gusto is to payroll what chocolate is to truffles, or butter to bread (or for me, bikes to transportation). That is, absolutely perfect! Gusto's incredible service is worth every penny and frustrating hour saved. So grateful that Gusto complies on our behalf with all the various taxing authorities. I can't praise Gusto enough for the simplicity of their service, friendly interface and prompt service.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Gusto is fantastic in every respect. Zero complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's fantastic. In my experience, business owners can't go wrong choosing Gusto.

I won't mention any names, but thanks to Gusto, we got the gangster gorilla of payroll out of our lives. Doesn't get better than that.

Gusto Payroll review by Hillum M.
Hillum M.

"A Perfect Payroll Management Tool "

What do you like best?

This is a Cloud based payroll management tool that is being used to pay us as employees, contractors and suppliers. One of the thing that excites me about the tool is that it is easy. It has a very user simple and user friendly interface that is easy to us to use. I also like the graphics in the interface which makes it look appealing

Am excited that the tool allows us to file taxes in real-time. This is by making it easy for us to access documents required for taxation in an easy way.

I like that it help one to easily track the pay checks. One can view the detailed information of every paycheck made.

Am also excited that the tool is of higher quality and affordable. It is very functional and cheap compared to other payroll management tools.

The customer support team is another thing I like about the tool. They are always available to make you satisfied

What do you dislike?

I hate that the tool lacks a mobile app for the android users.

The reporting feature of the toll are very basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is affordable, reliable and a tool of high quality.

We are using it in paying the employee, contractors and suppliers.

We have also been able to file taxes in real time.

Gusto Payroll review by Marcos T.
Marcos T.

"Don't...Just don't!"

What do you like best?

Cute UI...if that's what you're in the market for.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything. I'm serious. Stay away from Gusto. Here's some of my favorites:

- You and your employees see different PTO balances because the system tracks them differently

- You can only have one PTO policy per employee. Moving employees between policies will delete the previous balances. If you do this mass move the system doesn't warn you until it's all gone

- You can't mass update anything. Need to make the same change to all employees? Get ready to click away for days! The slowness of the system also makes this a great experience if you love wasting hours.

- Customer service is useless and can take a long time to get someone on the phone. Email support takes 24 - 48 hours to respond even the smallest question.

Did I mention you should stay away from Gusto? Remember you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STAY AWAY!!!

Payroll/HR/compliance. Low cost is the only "benefit", but you get what you pay for.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Fantastic and easy to use!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and user friendly for my staff. Payroll has never been easier to process. Onboarding is incredibly easy as we don't have to fiddle and worry about organizing employee documents and information. Staff can easily log on, fill out information, and access paystubs and tax documents! The website is visually appealing and goes right along with my mostly young staff. The program itself is very easy to use and I was able to catch on very easily on how to use it. Integrating and teaching everyone the software was such an easy process as well. Little to no learning curve at all.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it seems as if gusto can be too focused on the look and feel of the site rather than offering different parts to its functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your staff utilizes their scheduling system going directly with gusto payroll.

Keeping track of labor costs, onboarding, and file management has never been easier. I wish gusto provided a scheduling software! Honestly that would be one of the few things to make it even more fantastic! The fact that my employees can easily search and retrieve their paystubs, w2s, and adjust other tax documents puts this software above the rest. Much better than ADP or any other payroll software I have used in the past.

Gusto Payroll review by Daniel Shatzkes CEO  E.
Daniel Shatzkes CEO E.

"Payroll is super simple with Gusto"

What do you like best?

I've been using Gusto for almost three years now to take care of my payroll (I started back when they were still known as ZenPayroll). It absolutely could not be easier to do payroll than the way that they do it. TO be honest I haven't tried any other service but I don't see how it could be more simple. It's hassle free and spot on. If I remember correctly getting set up was fairly painless. The ability to add employees, add commissions or bonuses each payroll cycle and to incorporate benefits (which they continuously add more of) is great. I just love how easy and little time it takes to run payroll with Gusto (did I mention it was easy?).

What do you dislike?

There are two things I wish could be different and neither has anything to do with Gusto's performance. They both have to do with the cost. One thing I don't like is that you have to pay each month for each person you add to your account whether they are salaried employees or independent contractors. Salaried employees - I get it. No qualms with that. You provide a service, I pay for it. Done deal. But with independent contractors, if I use someone and pay them through Gusto, and then end the contract with that provider, I don't want to keep paying a monthly fee to have that person set up in my payroll account. I realize I can remove them but what if I want to hire that person again down the road. I have to do the entire on-boarding process again. I think that we shouldn't have to pay for any independent contractors that aren't getting paid that month.

Secondly, I like that Gusto started offering benefits. But when they did, they increased their pricing. I personally did not have a use for the benefits they were offering yet I still had to pay the new, higher price. It would be great if they could offer tired pricing depending on what services a company is using. Someone using the benefits should pay a little more than someone who isn't making use of the benefits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm sure there are other payroll services out there that have been around far longer and offer far more. It goes without saying that it's worth checking them out and comparing depending on your company's needs. I know that for me and my company, Gusto is great.

Payroll is such a simple task that it is not a worry at all when it comes up. IN 2 minutes it's completely done. And if I ever receive anything in the mail regarding my payroll (either from the state or the IRS) I simply take picture of the letter, email or chat with their customer service and it gets taken care of. SO the benefits - practically no headaches with regards to payroll and major time saved.

Gusto Payroll review by Kevin N.
Kevin N.

"Can't go wrong"

What do you like best?

Been using Gusto for a few years now and they have never once had less than amazing customer service. They put their game face on with every question and every fire. We have a hard time thinking about switching away from Gusto simply because their support is top-notch.

What do you dislike?

Our payroll can be complicated. We have 7 states in which we pay state taxes and it was constantly evolving for a few months. We experienced a major bug with their warning features on one of the states and it caused lots of issues with our payroll. They were amazing about it. Not a breath of frustration the entire time. However, they did promise to remedy every complication that came out of it, most of which they were not able to keep and we ended up needing to pay late fees on some payroll taxes because of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering Gusto, do not hesitate when it comes to support. We've had nothing but amazing support. Consider instead their price compared to others and the features they offer compared to your needs.

In our three to four years, we've seen Gusto innovate with their product, but at a very slow pace. They introduced time-tracking but I'd be surprised if any company bigger than 5 employees are using it.

Semi-monthly payroll and benefit administration. They make payroll easy enough that we do not need to worry about payroll day, even when we only have a morning to do it.

Gusto Payroll review by Abby W.
Abby W.

"Awesome, fun, easy to use UI"

What do you like best?

Gusto has a really fun and playful UI and super simple UX that makes all that boring HR stuff really easy to use and fun to check on. I have no idea what it's like to use from the perspective of my HR department, but from the perspective of an employee, it's a joy. I actually want to sign on to look at my paystubs and HR info because there are often new fun facts, cute animations, etc. It's silly and simple, but really delightful experience!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything. I love using this product!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lean into the cute features! The ability to send welcome notes to new employees, happy birthday cards, "on this date in history" facts about your birthday, silly "did you know"s about your paycheck, and more can bring happiness and levity to the HR product- which makes everyone happy!

- Track payroll and paystubs

- Track employees and see a list of everyone in the company

- Employee info and welcoming new employees

- Important documents and forms

Gusto Payroll review by João Filipe C.
João Filipe C.

"Great UI/UX, horrible terrible awful tax compliance. "

What do you like best?

The UI is lovely and the site is easy to navigate. When changes to employees or other business features need to be made, the editing process is very simple and straightforward. Overall the design of the website is aesthetically great.

What do you dislike?

Tax compliance - Gusto has managed to improperly calculate or improperly file our state taxes twice, with errors being made in more than 4 quarters. When we reached out after being served a subpoena by the State of Washington, it took Gusto more than a week and four emails from our CEO to receive any kind of response. Eventually, frustrated with the severe delay (Gusto only needed to mail a check), I personally resolved the issue by sending the check ourselves rather than face additional penalty and interest from Gusto's lack of response.

When a separate issue occurred which the CS representative labeled "high priority", we were informed that response time on high priority issues from the tax compliance department was "about three days". When states are serving subpoenas and expecting penalties and interest to be paid on receipt, three days is an unacceptable response time. When I told the representative this, I was met with an apologetic "The Tax Resolution team is a smaller group so they must handle cases in the order they are usually received". If the team can't respond to critical tickets in a timely manner, shouldn't the team's size be increased?

Overall we have been met with severe delays and a total lack of apparent effort on Gusto's part to resolve our issues. When no issues are present the product is fine, but when issues arise Gusto seems as though they cannot be bothered to give the issue the attention it needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would explore other alternative programs that are available. Gusto is great when things are going well, but if you need their help resolving issues or want a product where taxes are filed correctly and you don't have to wait over a week for a proper response, look elsewhere.

We've been using gusto for Payroll, including state and federal tax compliance. So far the only benefits we have realized are that payroll has been completed in a timely manner and employees have not reported issues with paychecks.

Gusto Payroll review by Kwindla Hultman K.
Kwindla Hultman K.

"Happy Gusto customer for three years"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, great customer service. Payroll should be easy, but it seems like before Gusto it never was. When you're a startup, ease of use, reliability, and good customer service are the most important attributes of a payroll service. Gusto has always been a 10 out of 10 for all three.

What do you dislike?

We can't pay international employees and contractors via Gusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product.

Gusto makes it easy to set up payroll, manage employees, run monthly payroll, and file for taxes. We do most of this ourselves internally, and give our external accountants access to Gusto so they can integrate the Gusto reports into their process of keeping our books.

Gusto Payroll review by Reed A.
Reed A.

"Gusto made an error on my dental insurance "

What do you like best?

I'm sharing my negative experience. Read others for the positive experience.

What do you dislike?

The way Gusto works, employees fill out a form on Gusto's web site and elect their benefits (health, dental, etc.). My company offers only one dental insurance option, a PPO. I selected the PPO option during the open enrollment period and Gusto sent me a confirmation email showing that I had selected the PPO.

However, when Gusto submitted the forms to the insurance provider, they mistakenly checked the "HMO" box. I found out when I was at my dentist's office for an appointment and they sent me away because I no longer had insurance they accepted.

First, I logged into Gusto to check my account. Sure enough, I had the PPO. I called back my dentist's office and told them they must have made a mistake. They called the insurer and, once again, insisted that I had been switched to an HMO. I called up Gusto to ask what happened. I explained it to the Gusto customer service rep after waiting on hold for a long period of time. The customer service rep said they would call the insurance company and sort it out. They never did. I never heard back from Gusto.

Eventually, I got hold of someone at the insurance company. They sent me the form that Gusto had submitted. It showed the wrong box checked. I had to submit a former requesting a change back to a PPO. A week has gone by, and still no PPO.

I called Gusto to ask them to help speed the process up. I'm just sitting on hold listening to the music while typing this review. I would not recommend using Gusto for anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use

none

Gusto Payroll review by Erin A.
Erin A.

"Terrific for Solopreneurs & Small Business Owners"

What do you like best?

-Makes payroll as simple as possible. Small business owners don't have to hire a bookkeeper to process the payroll.

-Cost--sometimes half the cost of other payroll processors (I have a blogpost about this on my site). Also love flat fees-- you really know what you're paying for the service without surprise W2 processing fees etc (like other payroll providers).

-Friendly customer service.

-Gusto is easy to get ahold of in business hours (no long wait times, etc).

What do you dislike?

Length of setup - feels like could be even more streamlined. There's a checklist when you start setting up, but I've had it happen working with 2 companies where we entered all the data requested and had marked all our action items, only to have a new action item pop up after logging out. This can feel annoying and a bit overwhelming to a business owner who has already gathered a ton of information to get payroll processing started.

Only true problem is listed above. Probably wouldn't be terrific for a larger company (over 10 employees) because the whole concept is based on streamlining payroll. One feature we love is setting payroll to auto cycle for salaried employees, and auto syncing with QuickBooks Online accounts--saves a lot of time and energy.

"Top-Notch Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Gusto customer service is by far the best for any HRIS I've used. My questions are usually answered same day. Rarely do I have to wait more than 24 hours for an issue to be handled. I especially appreciate the benefits administration pages. I found open enrollment to be extremely easy to administer. Most of all though, the fact that I can call Gusto and speak to someone in benefits or payroll immediately is the biggest draw for me. I also appreciate that Gusto has taken my feedback many time on issues that I have found within their system. It makes a big difference to know a company is listening.

What do you dislike?

Gusto is doing a great job overview, though I do hope they start integrating more software as soon as possible! They still need to fix the "re-hiring" section of their website. I don't think you should be able to click "re-hire" an employee on their website without having to verify title, compensation, address, and w-4. This has created big headaches for my company many times this year alone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great platform for a small to medium size company.

Gusto's payroll is quick and easy. The UI is clear and simple. I don't worry about making mistakes due to poor design.

Gusto Payroll review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"I’d give 11 stars if possible. Really. "

What do you like best?

We use Gusto for payroll & related tax reporting. Gusto is the rare SAS that explicitly states it will take responsibility if it ever makes a mistake. They have not eff’d up in 3+ years. Live, USA-based customer service is always accessible, accurate & responsive, even at tax time. My accountant & bookkeeper also love Gusto. Couldn’t recommend higher. Use it if you need reliable payroll service.

What do you dislike?

This might sound odd, but there’s nothing I dislike about Gusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please read my ‘What I Like’ response.

I don’t have to think about/track tax payments. That is HUGE. I also like the new employee on-boarding, which automates the hiring process for us.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Worked well for 2 people but did not scale as we grew"

What do you like best?

I like that Gusto is very simple to setup and makes payroll less scary. At first I felt very confident that payroll was being handled correctly. It handles the tax filings automatically, which has been amazing. I also like that it provides a mechanism to pay contractors.

What do you dislike?

When it was just my business partner and I using Gusto for payroll worked very well. As we started hiring employees that is when Gusto started to show problems. One pay cycle our employees were paid 3 days late, despite receiving an email a week earlier that they would be paid on time. You had one job Gusto!

It was difficult to get in touch with support about this issue. When we finally did get in touch we were told that we had exceeded our credit limit, which caused the payroll to be delayed. This was surprising to us because we did not know that there was a credit limit or that we had exceeded it. Support did confirm that we should have received an email notification about reaching the limit, but did not. Instead we just got an email as usual that said "Your employees will get paid on time, and you won't have to do a thing!" Unfortunately the only help Gusto could provide was to raise the credit limit for the next pay cycle, pending manager approval. The person we talked to was very careful about their wording that our employees were not paid late and the payroll system was operating as normal. I cannot see how holding everyone's money for an extra 3 days without prior notice is expected behavior.

Paying contractors is a very slow process (7 days+).

Some time ago Gusto sent us a notification that they were now offering benefits like insurance. We happened to be in the market at the time for health insurance. When we started the process we could only click a button to be notified when benefits were offered. I don't know if they ever started selling benefits but we went elsewhere for that piece.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your payroll is simple then it will work well. If your payroll gets too complicated then I would look elsewhere. I would also advise deploying Gusto to check that the credit limit covers your payroll.

Gusto manages our payroll.

Gusto Payroll review by Victoria R.
Victoria R.

"Great solution for my business!"

What do you like best?

I like the easy-to-understand user interface and that the paperwork is done for me! I love being able to direct deposit my independent contractors and connect a 401K directly through Guideline.

What do you dislike?

I don't love that I can't set up auto-pay for contractors. This would be a super user-friendly solution to something for me. I also wish the Direct Deposit went a LITTLE faster, but a week is totally reasonable as well. It'd be nice to be able to pay on different pay schedules, but I don't need that right now either.

I'm an LLC filing as an S-Corp, but I use a lot of contractors regularly as a real estate broker (all my agents are independent contractors). This provides a really easy and user-friendly solution to organize and pay everyone.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Meets the needs of my small business"

What do you like best?

Gusto handles all the state and federal taxes and filings so I can focus on my business. The employees get a nice web portal to view their paystubs and W-2.

What do you dislike?

There are a couple integrations that would be extremely helpful to me such as Vanguard Simple IRA and Take Command Health QSEHRA. It currently takes me about 30 minutes to run payroll and all of that time is spent shuffling data between Gusto, Vanguard, and Take Command Health. I would love to reduce the time the to run payroll or even be able to set automatic payroll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend this product

Tax payments, compliance, and payroll. The service saves me a considerable amount of time and the Core offering provides the features I need at a reasonable price.

Gusto Payroll review by Kena G.
Kena G.

"Joke of a system"

What do you like best?

The pig. That is the only good thing. There is nothing about this system I would ever recommend.

What do you dislike?

Everything else. It is terrible. They lump Holiday into PTO - taking those hours from the employee without anyone knowing! Then i have to manually add them back into regular hours - doesn’t show Holiday at all. 4 days for Independent contractors checks. And then the latest - it won’t work on an iPad. I had to literally call-in payroll!! I can’t wait until the end of the year so I can switch. NEVER use GUSTO.

Recommendations to others considering the product

stop investing in being cute and actually do something. The holiday hours are a complete disaster - and you set companies up for major legal issues. The lack of mobile options is equally a joke in this era. I can’t believe this is rolled out for public use and that I am paying for it!

I’ve only had problems. Not one benefit!

Gusto Payroll review by User

"User friendly, well designed with fun features"

What do you like best?

- Getting emails about my direct deposit

- Employee profiles, fun facts, b-days, etc.

- Really easy to access information for tax purposes

- Sending offer letters, onboarding new hires, and everything post-interview related all located in one place. very useful!

What do you dislike?

We don't really use this for tracking things like vacation days and PTO...and I'm not sure if that's available on the platform.

Also I wish there were a more robust place in the platform for perks and maybe have reimbursements related to perks as part of the platform, too. I would definitely spend more time on it, and it would make my life a lot easier...but that would really just be a cherry on top.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricier than quickbooks or hand calculations/manual spreadsheets but worth it if you are starting to scale as a company!! Definitely recommend.

Consolidating paperwork, organizing payroll, managing employee overhead, and simplifying tax season challenges are all addressed by Gusto. It's great! Less scrambling for whether you got paid, or looking for your paperwork, because all that is tracked by Gusto for you.

Gusto Payroll review by Susan L.
Susan L.

"The worst service run from gusto!"

What do you like best?

Nothing! We could not even get the account setup because no humans actually help you. all you get are automated messages saying "more information is needed". Then, when we tried to cancel the account that we did not set up, they told us that since a payroll had already been run, we had to login and cancel ourselves. Information on how to do this was included in the mail. WRONG information. So not possible to cancel. Call for help gets you put on indefinate hold. Then we get notices that we are being invoiced for services.

What do you dislike?

What a terrible excuse for a company. The whole purpose is a service organization, primarily for small to mid sized companies. yet they take way more time than they help you save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere. there is NO SUPPORT for this product. We ended up going to Surepayroll where actual people respond to your emails.

Payroll.

Learn more about Gusto Payroll

Gusto Payroll Videos

Learning about Gusto Payroll?

* We monitor all Gusto Payroll reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Try Gusto free for one month