brightwheel Reviews & Product Details

brightwheel Overview

What is brightwheel?

Accelerate your child care business with brightwheel - the #1 platform for early education. Brightwheel is a management software solution for childcares, daycares, and preschools specifically designed to streamline tasks tackled by directors/administrators and teachers at mid- to high-capacity centers. In addition to saving hours per week of effort for each staff member, 100% of parents are more satisfied with their school experience once brightwheel is implemented.

brightwheel Details

Brightwheel is a leading provider of software for the early education industry. With brightwheel, teachers save valuable time through easy tools for assessment, communication, and photo sharing; administrators can manage their business with enrollment, reporting, and online bill pay; parents get a beautiful, real-time view of their child’s day that helps them participate in the learning + continue it at home.

Brightwheel
San Francisco, CA

brightwheel Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the brightwheel community
Have you used brightwheel before?

brightwheel Reviews

Showing 117 brightwheel reviews
Already have brightwheel?
Childcare Director
UE
What do you like best?

It allows for instant communication with parents, as well as photos, incident reports, attendance and so much. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

the app features and the desktop features don't seem to match...it's harder to do somethings on the desktop than the app when it would be nice if they worked the same Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. The parents might have a issue at first because it is new, but once they use it for a week or two, they will love it. We receive nothing but positive feedback from our parent community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

we love having it as a way for parents to sign the children in and out of school for the day. with

COVID we don't want to pass around pens and paper to everyone all day long and this is great and it is very easy to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

Check In/Out, Parent communication, Student data, billing, billing reports- I don't think I could possibly choose one thing! The only thing we aren't currently using would be the lesson plans/observations. We plan to begin using those this summer! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When pulling multiple reports, I frequently have to close the program in between reports or the second report pulls all data (rather than just for the dates requested). I would like more options when pulling reports. (Being able to pull billing based on category/item type) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brightwheel has been amazing for our center, and our families. Parents love the interaction that is possible! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Brightwheel allows us to do everything we need to do for our childcare center, in one program. Prior to this, we were using several different programs which was far less efficient. The billing and check in/out kiosk has been fantastic! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Afterschool Coordinator
What do you like best?

I like that brightwheel can message parents so quickly and has a database of all of the students parent info. It's easy to see the roster and the students that are checked in. I like being able to call parents from the app, and the variation of messages to be sent (emergency, incident, etc). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a better way of communicating to the administrator about check ins/outs of students as well as a way for staff to communicate with each other. I wish that there was a way to mark daily attendance ahead of time (i.e. someone on Monday says their child will be absent on Friday). I think the process to share lesson plans, and snack menus is a little clunky. I think the price is high for not using most of the features but the plus version is required for the amount of kids in my program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are an afterschool program I would take into consideration that it really is geared towards early childhood settings. It can work for an afterschool program but could use some newer updates to accommodate it better for the price that you're paying. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Brightwheel has helped us communicate to parents where we are, report absences, and last minute reminders. Parents have been happy about the app, however, sometimes have a hard time seeing what dates and times messages are sent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

The ease to communicate with parents and the staff integration with clocking in and out as a way to track hours for payroll. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Billing. I feel like there could be some major upgrades to the way we bill parents, it has been very time consuming compared to other programs. I’d also like there to be a way staff can’t clock in on their phones before their shift, and a reminder for them to clock in and out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just take your time to understand all of the benefits and features. Remember to log on on a computer to get the full scope of what it has to offer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communication with parents is better, and I have cut down time writing down all of my students daily information. Having my staff hours on hand in one app has also been a huge bonus. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
What do you like best?

I really like being able to view the classroom ratios and staff from anywhere I am. Also, from home I can bill or check timecards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could message staff the way I message parents. Also I wish there was a way to block staff from being able to clock in and out from their phones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We love how easy it was to learn and use and the continuous updates they are making to better the program! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was able to notice we didnt need as many staff in the mornings and was able to decrease cost that way. I also find it easier to keep track of our billing and who has paid each week. I also save lots of time by most families paying online and not having to make trips to deposit at the bank. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
Education Management
What do you like best?

The communication aspect... it's nice to have that right at my fingertips Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is so much more that can eventually be added to make this a one-stop shop for Schools and daycares! The good thing is that the developers listen to their clients and are working to improve all the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a shot! It's helped us a lot! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Convinient billing. Better communication. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT support
What do you like best?

Brightwheel keeps everything in one place for all of our students. Customer support is always so easy to get a hold of and quick with an answer. They're always improving the software and listening to customer feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have multiple centers so it would be beneficial to be able to use the same logins for staff as they sometimes float from center to center. Same with the children, some attend two of our centers depending on availability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Uploading the Roster made the switch over so convenient. Use the resources that are offered. All of the on boarding training and the youtube videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There's much more daily communication between Staff and Families. It's also very easy to refer back to if a concern comes up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
What do you like best?

I like that everything is made easy and if you run into any trouble there are step by step videos on how to navigate your way through and if not there is always excellent costumer service reps that will walk you through correcting any issue you may have. They keep costumes updated on the latest feathers and changes! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no Dislikes at this time with brightwheel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to keep updated on shot records which is easy to fall behind on or over see but with notification reminders its a great help. With brightwheel I’ve realized that this is the best and safest way to keep personal records filled and we have great professional access to our parents through messaging. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administrative Assistant
What do you like best?

Brightwheel is very easy to use. Convenient for schools. I think it is great that parents are able to check in on their kids activities of the day, sign in and out, and message teachers straight through the application. It is also very convenient that staff are able to check in and out through the brightwheel application and able to communicate with parents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you are not able to view transactions, invoices, or payments right from the students profile. In the company I worked with before, they used a different system where in the students' profile were all transactions, invoices, and payments on each student profile. There should be an option to be able to view that information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The versatility of being able to check attendance, billing, activities, and communications with parents via one application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business manager
What do you like best?

When I think about Bright and consider what I like best, I conclude that Brightwheel's user interface is pleasant to operate within. It is well designed from a visual standpoint.

Over the past two years, lots of improvements have been made that addressed shortcomings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Having billing be primarily invoice-based rather than account-based is a drawback. for example: If a family over pays, there is no way to allow a credit to sit in their account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing payments. Brightwheel saves lots of time. From creating invoices, to sending reminders, to having an easy place to mark offline payments paid, brightwheel allows us to spend more time of our kids and families, rather than admin tasks related to billing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

This really bridges the gap between the home and school by allowing parents and teachers to communicate with eachother throughout the day Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the billing platform it is lacking many features (Applying vacation credits to account, etc). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Billing (all of our payments are automated through brightwheel so no need to take checks anymore).

Parent communication - no parents phoning center to check on their children, they can do it directly through the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher and co-director
What do you like best?

It's super easy for teachers and parents. Many elementary agreed kids check themselves in and out. Being able to share data, media, and more all in a single feed and app is incredible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have 50+ staff and over 600 kids being checked in, checked out, modified, and updated all around the same time each day at our location. Every once in a while there have been some very minor idiosyncrasies and quirks that have arisen, but they're always great and quick to fix it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While it is functional on older iPads or iPhones, it looks better and is a little easier to use the Check-In Kiosk on a newer iPad. I would also suggest enabling the quick scan option for the kiosk because then parents can use their devices and Brightwheel accounts to sign out a lot faster and easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Primarily attendance and emergency contact info, but have the possibility to expand to include messaging parents and more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Director of Education
What do you like best?

Brightwheel has been used in our facility since before there was even a premium option. We have watched the app grow and develop over the past few years. I have not used or found a better platform. Their email responses to our questions has been awesome and very little of a wait. Brightwheel is a great way to track our facility children throughtout theie day and a great way for parents to do the same. Since using brightwheel we have cut down on the amount of phone calls we are making and recieving because of the messaging feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The downside to brightwheel would be the billing section of the application. There should be a way to go into the invoices and edit them once they are marked paid; however, there is not. We use brightwheel to accept ach transfers; however, we are also using quickbooks to record all other payments for the ease. Brightwheel needs to get with quickbooks and integrate with their billing software. The only thing that was a problem for us with brightwheel was accidentally marking a payment and then not being able to go back and delete it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This will be the best platform you choose, the other platforms do not compare. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to efficiently record what children do throughout the day and the fact that the information is stored on the child's profile from the time they start to the time they leave has been helpful for keeping track of dates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Treasurer
What do you like best?

I like to be able to track attendance. It makes billing and tracking attendance easy for staff. Parents have enjoyed using this app for communication and daily updates. Parent contact information is readily available. Making announcements regarding activities is easy to input. I would recommend this app for anyone searching for a childcare program to simplify the ease of record keeping such as health records and child care plans. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to track invoicing credits. I would like a toll free helpline to be available for staff if any issues arise with the app. Families would also appreciate assistance with the app if issues arise with the app. Online chat can be frustrating when a question needs answered promptly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Organizes your business and a benefit to parents Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has simplified billing for parents and staff. This makes invoices visible for several administrators to see and edit changes when necessary. This also makes invoicing clear to families and they can access the information at any time. Instant messaging has also been very useful for staff and families. The messages are visible to multiple staff members. Families can communicate with ease at any time of the day. If any incident would arise with a child this is greatly useful to be able to communicate with the parents immediately. This is also useful when documenting allergies a child may have. This makes it easy to reference. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

The ability to have all of the child's information in one place on an electronic device. The daycare has saved a lot of paper since switching to brightwheel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the servers can be a bit slow with bright wheel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hold a meeting for parents to come in and learn more about brightwheel and how to use it when implementing it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Every family has access to contact their child's teacher. And every teacher has the ability to share with the family how the child is doing throughout the day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

I love the ease of access of the application. It is very user-friendly, and both parents and staff members have easily adapted to use. It has been a life-saver in parent communication from the time that we recently opened our infant and toddler rooms, two classrooms that require a ton of communication. Brightwheel still has many features that we have yet to use, and I have found myself overwhelmed sometimes with the options and ease of implementing each change we have made. I have only found myself frustrated or confused a few times regarding a few features that I have felt need more help or are non-existent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to access more of the administrative stuff from the app side rather than the website. It is often easier for us in our center to do things from the app rather than from the site. I had a few things I would like to change, but many just work differently than I would like them to, and that is just me. I wish that it was easier for parents to pay, without a high fee. We will most likely never adopt the use of Brightwheel's online payment features. It would be nice if there was sort of an a-la-carte feature where I only had to pay for the features I am willing to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest issue this has solved for us is our over-use of paper. We have tried over the years to cut out paper, where possible, in order to reduce our spending costs and help preserve the environment for the future of our children. As childcare, we are required to use paper in many places because of state licensing guidelines, so it is important for us to be able to cut our usage and costs where possible. It has allowed us to communicate with parents more seamlessly. We are in an area with a lot of government agencies, and many of our parents are not allowed to bring their phones into the building, often making it difficult to communicate with them via phone call if necessary. It is also a great way for parents to be able to see what their children are doing during the day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

I love that you can do automatic billing for parents, and update them in real-time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Communicating to parents about lesson plans is still not easy, as well as being a multi-site center. I need to be able to customize the platform more than is offered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The billing platform is a huge time-saver. Also, parents LOVE the constant updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We switched because the Kid Reports app crashed quite a bit, and was not very professional looking. Brightwheel is more more reliable. However, I loved how much I could customize the Kid Reports. Such as adding admin controls for individual classrooms, requiring signatures from parents on incident reports, ability to build out the curriculum and show to parents, and ability to build out my own forms on the app.

Also, the onboarding process for brightwheel was great, and employees were knowledgeable. However, once on-boarded, the quality of responses/willingness to add new features to the app decreased. I generally get a cut and dried response of "we don't do that at this time," which is not helpful.

Additionally, I would be nice to have the option to put in any amount in a child's billing account, and have it count toward the next month. For example, if I have an invoice out for $200, and the parent pays $400, it doesn't keep track of that credit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

Parents can easily check in their children daily and teachers can send notes to the parents about their children. I also love that parents can add a photo of their child and their dietary needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the app goes down randomly during the work day and we are unable to use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to use Brightwheel for daycare, it is a great addition. Communication has been greatly improved since Happy Days started using it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have eliminated paper use in our center and allowed for more communication throughout the day between teacher and child. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Director
What do you like best?

There are so many features that we take advantage of. We receive tuition payments in a timely manner. We have been able to provide parents with another level of communication. It brightens parents day to receive a picture of their child smiling in the middle of the day; it offers peace of mind. As early childhood educators we also have the option to show parents what we are providing their child on an educational level....we are not just babysitters! I LOVE the amazing customer service that Brightwheel provides our program and the fact that our suggestions are heard and implemented as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel like their are some improvements that can be made with billing. I would love to be able to change a payment plan for just one invoice rather than pausing the plan, sending out an adjusted invoice, and then having to remember to un-pause the plan. The new reminders feature is also a pleasant surprise. Perhaps adding medication reminders can be considered (one that can repeat for multiple days at the same time). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it to collect payments from clients Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Past due tuition payments are now more timely, communication amongst families and staff is more productive, we are able to show families what activities are done throughout the day so they understand that we are not just babysitter and we are educators Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It’s easy to use. It’s nice to be able to post future updates (planned activities for the day) and I like that when I go to upload the pictures that the picture pops up as the background so I know which picture I’m sending and able to chose the right child so there are no mix ups with parents getting the wrong pictures of the wrong kid. Have used a few other communication apps and this one is by far the easiest to learn and the most reliable! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike I could possibly think of is the inability to move children from classroom to classroom if they are not assigned to that specific room. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No problems other than the inability to move the children to a different class on the app. Benefits are that it is reliable and easy to learn/use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Family Services Director
What do you like best?

The ability to send parents pictures and updates, as well as text from within the app has been such a bridge in our programs usage and participation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It needs better in app searches. We have over 300 students (we are not a daycare but a private club. Think lifetime fitness daycare) and being able to search for specific kids in app by name would be a huge help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our goal was to create a safer more accurate check in/out system. One that constantly let me know who had what children where and when the I left. The parents having their own check in code is a huge relief. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
What do you like best?

We love that the app let's us communicate and give parents feedback in a timely manner! They are able to see what their children are doing in real time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish that we could do more items through the computer then just on the app. I know that Brightwheel is slowly working on this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the support staff! They are great at what they do! There is no reason not to play around with the app! It's so user friendly! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were going through so much paper telling parents what they're kids were doing each day! This has made our jobs so much easier! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Brightwheel allows us to be in constant and immediate communication with the parents. It gives our teachers a tool that allows them to share a child's progress, immediately notify parents, share videos and anecdotes, and it gives the school a comprehensive view of it's population. It saves a ton of paper and makes our parents more secure knowing that their child is an app away. Great tool for my preschool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Parents sometimes have difficulty if they change their email address or phone number with making the change in the system. It can often be confusing to them. At times I will have a teach locked out and to get them back on board it can be also difficult. There should be a way to maybe send a code to a cell phone to validate identity and then allow the necessary changes to the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You have nothing to lose .. Give it a shot and see how it either compares to what you use of makes life easier if you are not using anything Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Immediate communication. This has allows us to close the gaps with our ability to alert the parent immediately and it also gives the parents a way to send messages when the child will be late or if emergency situations arise. Allows parents to check in which eliminates paper clutter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

Brightwheel eliminates the use of having so much paper. We use Bright wheel for signing in and out the children. Payroll, attendance, and sending notes to parents Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the app does not load properly that hinders us from our staff clocking in/out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Everything is in the palm of our hand. I can take attendance while on field trips. I can send my clients their accounts payable in one report instead of 2 like in previous years. Any updates on students are saved forever, s ever don’t have to scramble looking for lost papers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.