Squarespace Reviews & Product Details

What is Squarespace?

Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. Our platform empowers millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories and create an impactful, stylish, and easy-to-manage online presence.

Squarespace Screenshots

Squarespace Profile Details

Squarespace Profile Details

Squarespace
Description
Squarespace is a SaaS-based Content Management System (CMS) offering a website builder, blogging platform and hosting service.
2004

Squarespace Reviews

1-25 of 792 total Squarespace reviews
Employee
Most Recent Squarespace Video Review

"We use it to create blog posts"

Owner, Content Strategist

"Easy to Build and Manage Websites"

What do you like best?

Squarespace has all the tools you need to build and manage a great-looking website easily. Their templates are stunning and require little to no coding experience to customize to your needs. Their drag and drop page builder is simple and intuitive. Their pre-made content templates make designing for every platform a breeze. Even domain transfer and purchasing is built-in, taking the headaches out of that often complicated step.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to be able to preview a built website using different templates, to compare designs. Sometimes the drag and drop editor can be buggy, but they have made many improvements to make it easier to use. Since I build so many websites on behalf of my clients, it would be beneficial for them to have an affiliate program.

As an agency, I was looking for an easy platform to build websites for my clients for them to eventually manage themselves. Wordpress can be too cumbersome -- requiring tons of plugins to make them do what you want. Squarespace allows me to quickly build beautiful websites and seamlessly hand over the keys to my clients, many which have little experience managing a website. I use Squarespace for every client and can't imagine what I'd do without it.

Director Of Communications & Public Affairs
Education Management

"Squarespace is high quality, user friendly, and inexpensive! "

What do you like best?

First of all, I love the price for Squarespace. I haven't really done much comparing with other companies because we've been using Squarespace in our organization for several years (long before I came here), and I've loved using it. It's extremely customizable and easy to use. I'm able to edit almost every factor to represent my brand. I had no experience designing a website before I started this job, and I've had little to no trouble learning my way around Squarespace. For anything I can't easily figure out on my own, there are a lot of helpful resources online.

What do you dislike?

I have few complaints about Squarespace. There aren't many things that their websites can't do. I've even learned a little about embedding code to make up for anything I can't do through Squarespace. I have had some issues with editing different font styles on my website without editing ALL text of the same kind.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to design an attractive, professional website, and have any level (or no) experience with website design, Squarespace is a great tool for you!

Since I did an overhaul and update of our website about 3 years ago using Squarespace, I think our visits and usage have definitely gone up. It also helps us present our small but mighty non-profit in a professional light.

Manufacturing Engineer (Forging)
(10,001+ employees)

"The fastest way to build a quality website!"

What do you like best?

I like the integration that Squarespace has with other platforms. From marketing and SEO to payments and social media, you can integrate a TON of different things into your Squarespace site with just the drag of an icon into the build page!

What do you dislike?

I dislike how different the theme layouts are built. You can have a perfectly functional page built in one theme layout, but if you switch it to another theme, it can sometimes rearrange nearly everything and make your page require a lot of work just to function as it did before.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Squarespace is THE fastest way to get a web retail store up and running with the least amount of time, money, or expert ability. Everything from domain hosting to server space and payment acceptance is ready to roll at Squarespace and it can be fully integrated with all major platforms/add-ons with just a few clicks.

I run a website that sells skateboards. Squarespace really does a great job showing me analytics and traffic data that helps me really target the people who are viewing my site pages and fine tune the content for what they want to see!

Human Resources Specialist

"Easy to make websites"

What do you like best?

Squarespace is one of the best options to create blogs and position them quickly since it has a broad integration with other SEO platforms and with many social networks. An excellent feature of this platform is the tracking of traffic sources, which provides a lot of value and great information about the traffic entering the site.

What do you dislike?

Many of the default templates that the platform has, I consider them very old and aesthetically are not well designed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Squarespace is a very good option for those who want to create blogs or even stores, since you get a very good amount of traffic with the creation of any type of website.

With Squarespace we have been able to create blogs and rank them among the top positions thanks to the SEO optimization that can be developed by simply installing add-ons on this platform.

Founder

"It's the perfect platform for creating a beautiful looking, and beautifully-functioning website."

What do you like best?

I like how easy Squarespace makes it to create a site that both looks good and works well. I also have access to advanced features such as tracking the site's traffic sources, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how there are additional steps one can take to boost SEO that aren't made available through Squarespace or informed about.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would say if you are debating it, just go for it, because as far as I can tell it is the best around at this point. You can't beat the combination of their website designs and functionality all in one.

I am solving the problem of how to make an effective website that both works well and looks great. I do not have to hire a designer and coder because they are a one-stop shop for website creation. They have done all the work already, I just need to put together the pieces.

yoram pohl

"Dont use campaigns"

What do you like best?

Great site and easy of use for a beginner

What do you dislike?

Campaigns have a real issue, and squarespace have many flaws with it

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your business matters, as does earning money, go elsewhere

I decided to go from mailchimp to squarespace, so i could use the campaigns and ease of use, by staying on the platform.

No a great decision with many flaws. I was told they would get the issue of connecting the newsletter, and other issues fixed in a few days. A week later i have no emails, and no responses, and on chat they are not able to handle this.

If you are a business making money, i highly suggest sticking with mailchimp or another provider, as once you get into a problem, squarspace are super average. I am back on mailchimp, and won't be going back as my business has suffered.

Communications and Fundraising Coordinator

"One of the best CMS systems for the amateur website designer/developer"

What do you like best?

Squarespace allows you to create beautiful, professional websites without the steep learning curve of a tool like Wordpress or Drupal. It's cost effective, easy to customize, and has solutions for almost every website need you might have.

What do you dislike?

When using one of the premade templates, it isn't always clear what is or is not editable. Sometimes you can get pretty far editing a site in one template and find out a specific edit isn't possible. If that edit is important enough, you may have to transfer everything to a new template.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A great solution. Make sure you think of all the unusual things you might want on your site (a shop, calendar, member section), but know that Squarespace does has solutions for most of those.

This allows us to have a professional, up-to-date website without employing a full-time web developer or learning a complicated CMS.

Photographer
(Myself Only)

"Squarespace is the Best!"

What do you like best?

Squarespace can be as simple or difficult to use as the user wants to make it! When I first started, it was as easy as dragging and dropping the elements that I wanted to use, but now I'm getting into adding custom coding.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I find the website settings difficult to find. I feel like squarespace could make their setting navigation a little bit more user friendly. I find myself scrolling up and down the page or even googling how to find a setting, when it should be very easy to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Put time and effort into your trial! Once you get to know the product, you are either going to love it or hate it, but you won't know until you use it!

Squarespace hosts my website, which is very important! I need my clients to be able to get to know me and my photography before they even submit an inquiry. Squarespace helps me do that.

Founder/CEO
Entertainment

"Squarespace is great, easy and clean but has many limitations"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to get started with Squarespace and how simple it is to create a website. The templates look great and the back end user functionality is great. The analytics they offer are easy to understand and give great insight. I was able to seamlessly incorporate Sumo into my Squarespace site allowing me to make use of their services easily. The integration with Stripe and PayPal for credit card payment processing make it a breeze to set up an e-commerce site.

What do you dislike?

When it comes to the Commerce packages there are some limitations that may lead you to look at other providers. IN particular the one beef I have with Squarespace Commerce is that you cannot choose different shipping rates for different products. You can choose different carrier and service rates (like Ground, Priority, Express, etc.). But you can only have ONE ground rate or ONE express rate. So if you sell two completely different products that are different sizes and weights, you cannot create different shipping prices for each of them. It's incredibly frustrating and that alone is leading me towards probably switching over to a different service in the near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you don't need to be running an e-commerce site then Squarespace is an excellent choice. The templates and ease of getting set up is fantastic. If you are doing e-commerce and are only selling a digital product or a single physical product the Squarespace will also be a great option. If you're selling more than one product of different sizes and weights, you may want to look into other options due to the limitations on setting shipping prices.

Squarespace allowed me to set up an e-commerce site relatively quick and easily. Integrations with many other platforms make automation for order taking and shipping painless and easy. I've found Squarespace is increasingly being included as an integration partner with more and more third party services so it does make using it easier and more efficient.

Social Scientist
Defense & Space

"A Useful Tool for an Inexperienced User"

What do you like best?

Using Squarespace to redo our website saved us a significant amount of money and provided us control over our presences on the webl. I like how I can quickly upload pictures, add new landing pages for advertisements, and create a smoothly working and streamlined website. The embedded Gsuite capabilities also make it very easy to maintain our business emails.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is initially pretty steep and everything was a bit confusing to start. However, Squarespace officers great tutorials on how to do things and it does what I need to it do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for a new company who needs to control their presence on the web.

We had an older version of a website built in Wordpress hosted by GoDaddy that we did not have the internal capability to keep updated. Squarespace allows us to manage our own site and update when we need to while saving money.

Owner
(Myself Only)

"Can't believe it's so beautiful AND so easy"

What do you like best?

I've used Squarespace over a few years for a few different websites and the latest version is pretty unbeatable. It's been incredibly easy to do quite a lot of personalization and it looks incredible. I like all the built-in business tools, as well.

What do you dislike?

I find the blog feature on many templates to be really subpar. I wish there was an easier way for visitors to look at the blog archives and easier ways to change some of the formatting within the posts.

My business is primarily word of mouth, but folks still want to see a great rundown of my services and About Me after they've heard of me, and I feel like the SS platform has let me create a beautiful representation of myself professionally.

"Some issues, but ways to work them out. "

What do you like best?

Overall, I like the current platform of squarespace. It is easy to navigate throughout the different settings and things you can add to your website page. For example, I can choose to add a form, picture, video, text, social media content, online scheduling calendar, make specific pages not available in the main navigation, but so they are available when you click on a button, audio, map, newsletter, and charts.

What do you dislike?

There is only one major issue that I had with squarespace and that was with our tracking codes and how squarespace is not as easily compatible with them. One tracking code that WordStream installed on our site that included the "|" completely took our site offline and then the other tracking code from Google Ads double counted conversions, no matter how we installed it or the settings we choose for the tracking code.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are installing tracking codes, I highly recommend you do some online research before you install them, to make sure that you install them in a way that is compatible with squarespace. We had issues with squarespace and a couple of our tracking codes, one of the codes made the site go completely offline and the other one double counted conversions, so if only one person submitted a form on the website, then it AdWords counted it as two people.

The business problems we are solving with Squearspace is that we are giving customers the ability to read more about our company, the services we offer, and the benefit of our services that we offer before they contact us to schedule a consultation.

Art Director
Graphic Design

"Beautiful designs and lots of versatility"

What do you like best?

The Squarespace designers definitely have their collective finger on the pulse of contemporary web design – chances are if you've seen a cool hero image placement or parallax design, Squarespace will have a template to match. Pretty easy to get started, especially with all the templates and suggested page layouts available. It's also essentially unbreakable, which for someone without an extensive background in web design makes the design process much more fun instead of frustrating.

Also, GREAT set of tutorial pages and videos – covers basically every question and gets specific on how certain features function on individual templates.

What do you dislike?

While Squarespace usually hits the sweet spot between speed of putting together a website and customization, about once per site I design I'll run up against the guardrails of what a particular template permits. Usually I'm able to find a creative workaround, but when there are three separate ways of showing a lot of images on a page (gallery page, a page with an image template and a page with a gallery inserted) and NONE of them do exactly what I want, that can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a shot! As a designer I find it easy but non-designers will be able to make great websites as well.

As a freelance designer, being able to offer a simple web design option to my clients who are asking for identity design allows me to increase my revenue. Squarespace allows me to spend more of my design time figuring out what works best for my client, vs. spending hours trying to figure out how to do it.

Architectural Assistant
Architecture & Planning

"Perfect for quick & low-skill required online exposure"

What do you like best?

- User-interface is very intuitive, sleek and well-divided.

- All templates are aesthetically pleasing and professional.

- Price and plans are reasonable for the service it offers. (It cost more than WordPress and less than hiring someone to build from scratch)

- It's fast. It only took me a weekend before my website goes live

- Quite a big range of domains you can choose from

- Appear well for mobile and tablets

What do you dislike?

- The control over the templates is limited, and more controls require the premium plan. I remember that was not the case a few years ago.

- Encounter sever down one time

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to quickly whip up a professional looking website for portfolio purposes and don't have to much time to juggle different codes, but still don't want pay for someone to do it, Squarespace is the way to go.

- Establish a professional presence online and personal branding

- Showcase my work in a user-friendly manner

Freelance Technology Content Writer
(Myself Only)

"Aesthetic and straightforward but not very flexible design-wise"

What do you like best?

This is the "high-fashion" version of WordPress and Wix. All the themes are clear, aesthetic, and like filling in blank spaces with your own words. If you're clueless in all things design, Squarespace takes your hand and leads you through creating your website without veering too far off from the theme.

You can change style colours, fonts, and add all sorts of paid add-ons if you're building an e-commerce site. I like the analytics page and the SEO page where you can add keywords you want to be found for. It's also very easy to integrate your own domain even if you got it elsewhere like GoDaddy or WordPress. If you don't have a domain, Squarespace lets you create one "free" with your paid plan.

There is an image editor built in so you can add filters, crop it, and other basic editing functions.

There is a trial version you can use, but you can't publish your website until you pay for a subscription.

What do you dislike?

You can't copy and paste a section, you have to re-do the entire section all over again. The predetermined widgets are also very rigid and you can't really customize them unless you know HTML/CSS.

Not being able to change the color of button text or change text color for individual places is definitely a limitation. I also don't see how to add alt text to images.

The price is rather high in comparison to other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want something clean, modern, and hard to get wrong, this will do nicely.

Professional website for my business. Looks very clean and modern.

Director Of Photography
Motion Pictures and Film

"Simplicity and Ease For the Small Businessperson"

What do you like best?

I have always appreciated squarespace's user interface and quality of design templates. Squarespace has always been a cut above other website building platforms to me because of the constant updating, and variety of complex and cutting edge websites ready to be customized.

What do you dislike?

The price is still significantly higher than some other platforms. While I have stayed with squarespace for years, the price has always been a point of disappointment. I also wish it was easier to embed video content into backgrounds across multiple templates, and the mobile previews and mobile design crossover were better integrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Squarespace beats out other web building solutions, in my opinion. Squarespace can give you a wealth of exciting options to carry your business' web presence. As i stated before, I am in love with the new templates. The integration of video injection and moving content has sent them over the top for me. The integration of analytics and some cursory web traffic features is exciting and helpful. All in all, I think it's a smart choice for any small business looking to truly have an attractive website.

My business needs a website. Squarespace makes it easy for a novice web designer to build a visually pleasing place to showcase art, work, and portfolio items in a flattering and modern style. With a good eye and few hours to learn all the bells and whistles anyone can make a beautiful website in a matter of hours.

Owner

"Visually appealing"

What do you like best?

I love that Squarespace doesn't ask you to buy a bunch of apps to get the functionality they show you.

What do you dislike?

While it is nice that they have so many built-in features, it is frustrating that they don't "play well with others" when it comes to integrations with POS systems. It's for that reason that I am not using their e-commerce functionality. I have had to embed Ecwid to get syncing capability with Square. I get that Squarespace wants you to use Stripe as your CC processor and that puts them in competition with Square, but come on people!

Their visual templates are far superior to others, especially since you don't have to pay extra for access to the entire catalog.

"Great Alternative to WordPress"

What do you like best?

No more updating widgets every month - your website is hosted and maintained by Squarespace. If your website is having problems, so is theirs so they are on top of it! The support and visuals are amazing.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to find a qualified Squarespace developer or expert to help you get set up and started. I think there's a community board to find someone but I can't remember.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're tired of updating widgets or the high cost of WordPress, take a look at Squarespace.

I am using it for my website. I set up a landing page after each of my public talks so I can capture leads from the talks. They go right into my email software I'm using. The automation is really helpful for a small business.

Ministry Assistant
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Recent switch to Squarespace"

What do you like best?

We recently switched to Squarespace. I am not the main administrator, but I do create pages, forms, edit the calendar, edit pages, etc. I like that it is so easy to use and intuitive, which allows someone like me who can not write code, to still edit and create pages on our website. I like that it allows moving images on the banner we have on our front page, which makes it more aesthetically pleasing and allows us to keep things up to date. There are many features that allow our people to interact with the website itself.

What do you dislike?

I do wish the calendar feature allowed events to not merely be copied but span a time frame, for example, a recurring event that happens once a week for 12 weeks. It is tedious to have to copy each event. I also wish the website itself was more customizable, although it does serve its purpose for most of our needs. It would be nice to have graphics that can be highlighted or clicked on that allow more text to appear/open in a new window. Perhaps this exists and i am unaware or we have a more basic package.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Squarespace works great for our organization and is a big upgrade from what we used before and many other websites I see out there. It is relatively customizable and allows us to make it unique to our organization and carry our "DNA" even into our webpage. It allows our people to interact with us through content we add on the webpage for them or them to reach out to us.

We use Squarespace as the main website for our organization, which is a church. People can go on to listen to sermons, check our calendar, view our online bulletin, view small group questions, view what is going on, click a link that direct them to sign up for events, studies, etc. and take notes on the sermon and have it emailed to them. We like that it allows people to interact with it and do so much,

Senior Operations Specialist
Internet

"Fantastic platform for a polished web presence "

What do you like best?

The assortment of designs and ease of use help me get the look of a beautiful site without hours of work or the need to hire a designer. The interface to change the design/layout is effortless to navigate. Squarespace also updates their templates on a regular basis so you can keep your page looking fresh and on point with the current trends.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything negative to say about Squarespace. I've been using them for about four years and don't see an end in sight. I guess the ability to generate contracts and invoices through my site, instead of just selling fix-priced items, would be nice. But that isn't a deal breaker for me by a long shot. I'm sure that would just increase the cost to use it, which I wouldn't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you check around for a promo code. Squarespace is a sponsor of the Podcast Comedy Bang Bang so they usually offer a promo code for new customers.

I'm creating an online presence to showcase my work and providing information on contacting me as well as my rates.

Associate Director of University Communications for Social Media
Higher Education
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Anyone can master website design with Squarespace"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of Square is the best. As someone in a marketing and communications field, saying anyone can master design is nothing something I take lightly. Squarespace makes design easy so the world has many more interesting and visually pleasing websites– GeoCities this is not! It's important to come to Squarespace account with content in-hand. You'll likely be impressed by all of their templates and would like to have your site completed as soon as possible. Squarespace isn't a replacement for nice content, come in knowing what you want to convey and use your account to achieve that goal.

What do you dislike?

When formatting text, Squarespace can occasionally have some issues in the user interface, it is difficult but not impossible to mirror formatting across the site. Calendar functions could use some help and some reservation options would be nice to build out options. We use our site as a source for current members and prospective members for a rowing organization, having expanded integration would help us segment our users.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There isn't much else out there to be a one-stop-shop for website building, hosting and even commerce. Try it.

Transitioned a rowing website from a lack-luster Wordpress template to Squarespace so people would actually use the site. We needed to combine a news site, blog, calendar and boat reservation system. Squarespace allowed us to bring what we needed into one central location. Our site (toledorowing.org) is nice and shiny.

Senior Marketing Consultant

"SquareSpace is the best for those looking for an inexpensive website"

What do you like best?

The best feature of Squarespace is the fact that anyone, even those without any web development experience whatsoever. 20 years ago, it was very considered a very desirable skill to be able to create a website. However, these days, the expected quality is much higher, and a high quality service such as Squarespace makes this possible.

What do you dislike?

While Squarespace offers a lot of options for growth, the only problem with the service is that it can quickly become expensive if you depend on their merchant system and build your entire business off of their service. I would say the service is better for businesses looking to make a simple and clean site, not a fully fledged e-commerce experience

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As long as you don't intend to build a marketplace using Squarespace, it is the way to go.

Squarespace is what we used to primarily design our website for Harding Software. It has made the process dramatically easier, with the most notable benefit being that we did not have to hire a web developer to create a website. We avoided the issue of high costs by not hosting any of our transaction features on the website.

Lead Interior Designer
Architecture & Planning
(Myself Only)

"Great Software to Create Beautiful Websites"

What do you like best?

Squarespace really takes care of all options for you. You can create your own domain, your own email, and an ad free website all in one place, which was a huge plus for me. There are many different layouts to choose from that are able to serve various different needs and services. The analytics are awesome and really help me understand what people are interacting with on my website. They even offer a google adwords credit for signing up! I think this is the best platform for creating your own website, making it look professional, and avoiding paying someone thousands of dollars to do it for you.

What do you dislike?

It is fairly difficult to customize within certain layouts, and the process is clunky, with having to go to a different 'design' tab to do so. The pricing is moderate but you get what you pay for!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Watch all of the video tutorials!!!! Even watch a few before getting started. I consider myself fairly tech savvy but I had a lot of trouble trying to figure it out myself without help. Watch some videos first to avoid getting frustrated like I did!

It has helped me create a beautiful website to help drive my business. 100% of my business so far has come from people online and interacting with my website.

"Clean, intuitive website design and content management"

What do you like best?

Squarespace came along and changed the game for not only how websites could be designed, but how content could be managed. For starters, their templates are beautiful, highly customizable, and flexible right out of the gate. In their first years, it was sort of easy to tell if something had that "squarespace look", but things have definitely progressed to the point where theme settings have enough parameters to make a website that is entirely indistinguishable from other sites. Not to mention, nearly every other competitor seems to have stolen a page out of their book at this point.

With the ability to inject custom scripts, css, header/footer code, there's really not much you can't do with Squarespace.

What do you dislike?

When you get into the Style Editor, some themes have so much going on, it's hard to keep track. If you're not careful, you could have a dozen different fonts being used and lose track of your color scheme. You can sometimes see that a font is in use somewhere in the site, but have no idea where or how to track it down. It would be nice to be able to navigate to elements based on what font is in use, so it can be easily changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For top notch templates, fast site loading, easy content management, at a decent price.

As a web designer, being able to easily and more intuitively design sites for clients is great. But more importantly, the handoff is easy. Clients seem to pick up and learn SqSp much quicker than WordPress, and other CMSs. The lesser amount of time spent having to train clients on how to manage content, the better.

"SquareSpace for those w/o web design background"

What do you like best?

It is user friendly and easy to edit, once you get the hang of it. It's convenient and allows me to update our website within seconds.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes feels limited in how much I can customize features on a page. It could be the "theme" we have, but sometimes feels constraining in how much I can edit and adjust features on a page.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd say it's a fantastic platform if you are like me and have never done web design or web-related tech things, but now need those minor skills for your job. If you can host your own site, then more power to you. But Squarespace is wonderful and streamlined for hosting your own website and making it look good to. We receive a lot of compliments on our website.

It has allowed us to maintain our website and update it frequently with latest news and content, and eliminates the need to contact a third party hosting platform every time we need something done.

Squarespace Features

8.8
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.6*
* Website Builder Category
Do you work for Squarespace?

Squarespace Categories on G2