Core Reviews & Product Details

Core Overview

What is Core?

BQE CORE is an integrated, native cloud-based solution designed specifically for professional service firms. CORE offers business and project accounting, time and expense tracking, invoicing, project and human resource management and client relationship management (CRM). BQE CORE utilizes state-of-the-art technologies delivering actionable business intelligence and award winning artificial intelligence including natural language processing and speech recognition. BQE CORE supports a wide range of industries, including accounting, architect firms, engineering, legal services and many more. You can access BQE CORE from any browser or mobile device and experience full functionality. The native mobile app includes iPhone and Android devices. CORE also has over 200 report and invoice templates. Invoices for every contract type conceivable.

Core Details
Discussions
Core Community

Core is an intelligent time tracking, project management, billing and accounting solution designed to help you increase performance through efficiency, streamlined processes and integration.

BQE CORE is a native-cloud platform with full APIs allowing users to integrate with most modern software or cloud solutions available today.

Includes the most powerful business mobile app for iPhone and Android users. No longer do you need a computer to access all your firm's vital information.

Improves efficiency and profitability by AUTOMATING repetitive tasks and keeping all your business information in a single place.

The most powerful, yet simple invoicing system allowing fixed fees, unit cost, % of contract and hourly invoices.

Scalable from sole-proprietors to firms with hundreds of employees.

Quickly and easily understand how your firm or project is performing

Speed up and increase the accuracy of the time keeping process

Understand which projects, employees and clients perform best for your firm

DCAA compliance with a single-click

BQE Software, Inc.
@bqesoftware
275 Twitter followers

Core Videos

Core Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Core community
Have you used Core before?

Core Reviews

Showing 45 Core reviews
Already have Core?
Director of finance
What do you like best?

Core definitely streamlined our invoicing process. The overall invoicing time in Core went down from day or two in our old system to a handful of hours. Custom reporting tailored to our company's processes also allows us deeper insight to tracking time against a project and gives us accurate data to easily keep our clients informed about the financial detail and progress of their projects (while simultaneously monitoring employee realization rates and productivity). Technical support is top notch, the phone is answered quickly and the people on the other end of the line are excellent at solving issues or questions that pop up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Core sends out one separate invoice per phase to QBO rather than one invoice that includes all phases Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Core because it is going to make your invoicing experience better. Although, there are quite a few invoice templates but you may have to get a custom designed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our company uses the time management and billing features and staff was quick to adapt. The main thing Core has done is save countless hours in the billing process as well as the ability to generate useful reporting that is helpful to staff at the ownership and management levels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Billing and Accounting Manager
What do you like best?

With Core we have been able to access our Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable very easily. Setting up new clients and projects is pretty straightforward. The projects are broken down very easily into phases so that the effort at the phase level for job costing purpose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The billing forecasting reports need to be more flexible with the invoice date filter. Currently you can see it for entire year . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend the customer service Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Core has solved time and expense tracking and scheduled billing on fixed fee projects. This software comes with an outstanding customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best feature for me in CORE is the ability to export to a CSV report and manipulate the data as I wish.

Another nice and updated feature is the ability to run invoices with various projects included and to be able to combine them all in one area. Being able to see my final number on one sheet is nice. I like that there is a team always available to help and that I am able to request specific persons for assistance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Since CORE updated the batch invoice to now show all of the data without having to wait for it to "think" (which has caused a lot of errors in the past), is a very good updated feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CORE has helped on the time it took to gather data and build our monthly summary invoice. Now, data is entered throughout the month and then gathered into a final bath invoice. Its also nice to be able to tweak data when necessary and to do preliminary checks and reports prior to the final invoice creation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Knowing the situation that we all are in, I cannot imagine how we would have run our business if we had to deal with a software that was residing on our servers and PC's. Core is on cloud and it really saved us. Most of our staff is working from home and all of them can report hours and expenses on the projects wherever they are working from. Our project managers do not have to make decisions on incomplete project information. It is all happening in real-time. Management is not required to be in the software to review reports because with report scheduling feature they get delivered to them at a set frequency. Our billing and payment process has improved too because of these automations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have been with BQE for many years and one thing we always appreciate is the attention that is paid to whenever we report a problem. No software is perfect but how quickly it gets addressed is a key. With that said we would like to a built in report designer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the report scheduling capability of Core Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have solved a big pain point of accessibility with Core and I would say is the biggest benefit that we have realized. Time tracking, project expenses and invoicing has definitely improved too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The most helpful features of Core definitely are time & expense tracking, project management and processing billing. When we were looking for an online cloud software Core offered all this and much more. Our management team finds it extremely helpful to keep track of KPI's of employees, projects and overall for the entire business on beautiful dashboards. Our client billing is not straightforward and with the help of custom reports team we were able to eliminate MS Excel billing and now all our clients are invoiced out of Core Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Yes, it took us a bit to get the invoice designed and as I mentioned it is because our invoicing is not like any other design firm. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Core streamlines our processes, makes our reporting easy, and helps us make decisions for our business based on precise data. The support team is incredible, and this is as important to us as the outstanding capabilities of this modern and user-friendly software, and Core listens and keeps us with the customers' needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

BQE Core has allowed us to put time and expense tracking, project management, and billing all in one application. We no longer have to use three applications to perform those functions. Because we use Core, our Project Managers have clear and concise access to project information through the dashboards and reports. The ability to memorize and schedule reports allows PMs to be sent weekly cost reports so that they are more aware of the charges on their projects without even having to open Core. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The workflow for dealing with vendor bills and other project expended that are directly charged to projects needs better clarity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend Core Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Because of the ability to download data from reports and screens, we have been able to create project status sheets which put a variety of information that is pertinent to a project in one place.

Template projects have been set up and now we can have a new project setup, including activity items, rules, and fee schedules within minimal time. Core has really reduced the workload to create projects and project information and allowed me, as the Operations Manager, to focus more on helping to run the business and mentor our project manager. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The number one reason I like Core is because it is user friendly, particularly for back end administration. I had been in legal for years. Although I've always had a hand in software selection, IT dept handled the application, etc. I was able to set up the back end for our firm, which started in July. My users have learned the software quickly including those that have not previously billed their time. Short training. Simply - user friendly which is how I always select an application for a specific unit. It's how we bill our clients and pay our professionals. Now we've learned additional functionality for performance and reporting. Plus we're looking forward to seeing how the CRM may add value with a single tool on our phones and PCs. Love the ability to charge out our jobs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of any off the top of my head. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Definitely time tracking, expense reporting, job costing and billing. Ease of use of the application. CORE is user friendly and for when working on the fly. Tech support is fabulous, friendly, and they know their product. Also, CORE is user friendly for back end administration. Reporting is very versatile, and I can pull up what I need quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to jump right in get things set up and start working. Progressive customization allows for constant improvement of tracking and workflows. There is a LOT of bang for your buck here. I love the “real time” time and expense additions so that I can bill time and then invoice in the very next step. Invoicing quickly has helped me get my new business off the ground and some cash flow coming in. Color coding of the status on jobs is a wonderful addition and makes a quick glance to get info very easy. I’m getting better with the accounting side of things, and am still learning. BQE Core is doing what I need it to do to track jobs and invoicing. I feel it can grow along with my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Having multiple tabs open would be helpful from a workflow standpoint. It would be nice if when I make changes in the Global settings that I could tell it to apply those to older jobs…I’m thinking invoicing here. Two of my overall big requests would be: 1) the ability to add some of the custom fields to an invoice. I have to populate this manually…I have to switch between jobs and the invoice to grab the info…therein comes the multiple tabs option. 2) The other would be to auto-populate the basic job information in a standard/form letter. I send out engagement letters on every job and would like the letter creation to be auto-populated Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Customer service is great. Phone call help is AMAZING! I call. A person answers. That person helps me right away…while I am on the phone. That kind of service just doesn’t exist with these types of software programs…except I guess it does at BQE Core. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Overall, My experience has been very good. It has taken a bit to learn how to navigate the help blogs and menus so that I get to the information I need. The search for these could be improved. Similar experience of learning how the invoicing adds various fields and to get a format that I like. Normal learning curves. I love the “real time” time and expense additions so that I can bill time and then invoice in the very next step. Invoicing quickly has helped me get my new business off the ground and some cash flow coming in. Color coding of the status on jobs is a wonderful addition and makes a quick glance to get info very easy. I’m getting better with the accounting side of things, and am still learning. BQE Core is doing what I need it to do to track jobs and invoicing. I feel it can grow along with my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We are relatively new to BQE Core and it has been nothing short of wonderful experience. So far we are enjoying the easy of billing, entering time and expenses in one software. The custom service has been amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We would like to custom reports part of software and it looks like BQE is going to make this feature available in Core in the next few updates Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is all in one software. Save the hassle of using multiple software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having accounting, billing, and time keeping and expense tracking all in one spot has solved our pain of using multiple apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The important KPI's in Core for our projects, clients and staff help us run our business efficiently. Love the mobile phone app! The fact that I can review this important data from anywhere anytime is a huge benefit. We love the easy of use and the flow of the software. BQE Core's insightful dashboards and business intelligence tells us exactly how our projects are performing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Cannot say we dislike but whenever we find an issue it gets addressed in a timely manner Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Stay away from multiple software. It is a waste of time and money. Invest onetime in a software like Core for your business management Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We track mileage extensively for our project visits. Mileage tracking on the mobile phone app is phenomenal. We track time and expenses mostly using Core mobile app. Billing is extremely easy as compared to our previous software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how intuitive the software is, and how its set up to help me answer my own questions sometimes. I also appreciate the availability of the support team. It is helping us see the real data to analyze areas of improvement for our company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of information with CORE and I'm sure its a lot of work to accommodate everyone's special requests and customization, so I appreciate the consideration of the ideas and feedback of the clients. No real changes to suggest as of yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has definitely helped us with streamlining time and expense tracking, invoicing and project management. Overall experience for me since I'm only a few months in with learning the software has been great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

CORE has eliminated need for complicated spreadsheets and various other methods of housing project data. Coming from QuickBooks desktop accounting which we have used for almost 19 years, CORE accounting subscription has given us access to company financial data anywhere. Core is by far the powerful software we have acquired for the price point it comes with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Global Settings: User Interface "Display As" is limited. For example would like to have specific "display as" for project invoices and time cards.

Vendor Payments and Check Printing: Need Payable to: different than the send to print on check. Font print very faint when printing checks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

utilize mobile phone apps Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As we continue to get more proficient navigating CORE, it has given our principals and project managers more access to real time data reducing the potential for errors in reporting and data transfer in multiple areas to better service our valued clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Being able to use the program from anywhere a browser is available although I personally have not had to log in anywhere other than the office but some of my staff has. It took me many years working in a very outdated software until I felt I found the right program (Core) to switch to for time and billing. It has met all of my needs so far! Love it. I have not had to call in for customer service often but when I do everyone has been helpful and I have not encountered any issues what so ever. I have not worked in the Project Management or Accounting modules of the program. The flexibility for invoicing. The ability to email the invoices right from the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The downside is the refresh rate. At times there is lag due to internet connection which is obviously not an issue with Core itself but the internet connection. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be patient and contact BQE support team as everyone there is helpful and knowledgeable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time and Billing and reporting is what we mostly use Core for. I has met all of our needs so far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

After 1.5 years of working with Core, and testing many other products in the market when we were deciding to switch, I can now say for Architects Core is by far the best product. And your ongoing feature videos are the best learning tools. The features and power are so vast that I believe BQE should offer certification courses for Core. We still are in early stages of exploiting all the amazing features of Core, but there is no question as a firm we have become more disciplined in managing client expectation on budget and project performance as a whole. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I believe the project management is the only feature that needs some attention and maturing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start with using the features that solve your immediate pain points. Everything else will follow.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Here are some of the features that we like the most in Core and these features have made us a better firm:

We definitely like; Reports, especially project analysis and performances. The ability to activate / deactivate phases on a project. We have been invoicing out of Core and recently I am appreciating epayments and stripe integration and project management dashboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

For most part calling customer service is easy and the staff is knowledgeable and patient when we are asking for help. When everything is entered correctly Core does give a good view as to where we are with invoicing, budgets, contract etc. Entering time and expenses is easy for our staff including managers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of write up/down feature and wish we could turn it off as our firm does not use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Although there is a bit of a learning curve this software works. Our advice is invest in training and consulting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Billing, time tracking and expense reporting and project budgets are a few of the benefits we are enjoying in Core Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

I am very pleased with what I am experiencing with CORE. It's simplicity in Time and Expense tracking and the way it handles all types of invoicing needs of design professional services is excellent. The fact that we do not have to deal with multiple apps to run our firm is in itself a huge deal. The real time performance metrics of projects on beautiful dashboards keep our management team informed about the project management aspects of our projects. Invoice is very flexible and easily supports different invoice formats. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see more industry specific chart of accounts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time and expense reporting, invoicing, accounting and project management are the areas of our business that are solved by Core Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

After researching the best accounting, timesheet and billing software. I chose it because it had an intuitive interface, easy reporting, and cloud availability. It's catered directly to our discipline, and allows us to easily track our own time/expenses, as well as sub-consultants and teams. The fact that BQE Core was a fraction of other similar software packages was an added bonus! We use BQE for our integrated accounting, time/expenses, and invoices, and it has been integral in helping us to understand and grow our business in the first year. At every moment, I have the info available to understand my cash flow, liabilities and A/R all in one interface, which never would have been possible if I used other accounting software.

I was really happy with the initial experience of Core. If you have a base-level understanding of accounting, just watching the instructional videos will give enough information to set up your full account. Having staff available 24/7 for questions has also been very helpful when you're stuck and figuring something out during late-night invoicing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In a separate excel doc I track our projected income and expenses for each two-week period so I can plan cash expenditure. If BQE had a feature to track overhead and projections in relation to billable work, that would really integrate all functionality in one software. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions for improvement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Core for our integrated accounting, time/expenses, and invoices, and it has been integral in helping us to understand and grow our business in the first year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Our small architectural firm was looking for a consolidated project management and billing software that would allow us to record employee time, manage project tasks, budget, invoice and track project performance. We took advantage of CORE’s 30-day free trial and with some additional training and support from BQE, we were fully operational with CORE in a very short time. Our partners can easily access reports and project performance data through the mobile app feature, and our administrative staff finds the time review and billing process to be efficient and user-friendly. We’ve been quite pleased with both CORE and BQE Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit a learning curve. With the help of training and consulting we were able to get past this hurdle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We took advantage of training packages and we highly recommend investing in implementation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy access for our partners to access all project related and accounting data in one application has been a huge benefit. Core as a one standalone consolidated program has helped us solve the problem of running 3 applications to run our business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Core is really helping us manage time and expense tracking. On the project management side we can easily forecast capacity in hours and can create detailed estimates with minimal efforts. Billing process is easy and intuitive as we can provide clients with a detailed invoicing if required. Ability to manage subcontractors pretty much like our employees is very helpful. Last but not the least we are enjoying excellent customer service and support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Improving intelligence for notification features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Excellent customer support and service, try them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time and expense, project management and billing features in Core have definitely helped us solve problems. Most importantly providing detailed work instructions and budgets to our team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We use Core to create new projects, add clients, add phases to projects, and notes particular to a client or project, create invoices and record payments. I like that it is a fairly easy to use, and that help is always available to assist. We like how we can place so much of our project information into it, and then it is accessible by multiple users and all this data is available on dashboards and reports. Also like how employees can enter their time by project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We would like to be able to modify the invoice templates more ourselves without having to make special requests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilize custom invoicing features and service if you have a specific invoicing need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project setup, time and expense tracking, invoicing and payment receipts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

All the processes are faster and better with Core. It is is our main business management software and we before it we had a local system installed on our servers. With Core being a cloud software close to 200 employees are using it on a daily basis for time and expense tracking, billing and engagement management. Core has a easy and intuitive user interface which makes our day to day processes easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

More tools for creating reports according to our needs and more options for administrators Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

get the reports and invoices customized to fit your business needs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In general, we have a pleasant experience as compared to our previous software. Core works appropriately and has solved our time and expense and billing problems significantly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Allocation and forecasting, project management and time and expense setup are all helpful. We are getting more and more use out of Core. So far we are just diving in, but it has helped our time tracking and expenses and keep our documents in one place. We are using our custom report for allocations and it is working well for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Any changes, we pass through ideas and so hopefully they are updated as new features - we would like to know the status of our requests just so we can discuss in our meetings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a bit of learning curve. We did invest in a few training sessions so we highly recommend training Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Core has solved our resource allocation, project management and Time & Expense tracking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
Construction
What do you like best?

submitting time and expenses has been easier, than old product. Website is stable and has had little to no known issues with website. Interface is intuitive and having the navigation bar on the left is easy to use. The navigation bar was very to understand where to go. There are many features that I do not use as a user. Time, expenses, and to-do are the only functions I use now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When making a PDF, some reports generator multiple tabs just to make one PDF and then export/save. Be nice to just only have one browser tab open up. Still learning to use the software since system was launched last month for us. One month of use is not sufficient time fully use the product. Would be good to use during different conditions to test usability during difference situations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Generally, the software is usable and helps reduce frustration with submitting time and expenses. Our firm has used 3 systems, and all have had issues with implementing, but general use was usable. Entering time and expenses was generally usable and fine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There is a search function but that isn't as easy to search if I am not too familiar with keywords to search. Generally, the training my software implementer has provided is sufficient but would be nice if I could search for answers myself without confusion. Seems like the search function needs to have a how-to to help learning the uses and know what to search for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We have been using BQE Core for close to a year and the best thing our staff likes is that it is very user friendly. It is extremely easy to enter time. Our invoicing and receiving payments has been much more efficient because it is east to process invoices and make payments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel some of the reports are a bit confusing and we have already provided feedback Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go with implementation service of BQE Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ease of use because of user friendly interface, time tracking and invoicing are the other two areas that has solved our pain points Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

BQE Core has allowed us more time to focus on the completion of a project rather than collecting information and scheduling from different sources. Billing team using the same program as timesheets has saved hours. Setup of Core was easy. Training has been very supportive and useful. Support has been very helpful and quick to respond and follow-up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Adding payroll to the bundle, this would complete the package and tie together all the pieces. Providing more details in help within the program, a pop up link to a detailed explanation of what the field is will be helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely take advantage of training and support Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Definitely billing and time tracking. Having one integrated platform is saving us time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.