Carta Reviews & Product Details

Carta Overview

What is Carta?

Carta is building the global ownership management platform, and in the process, mapping the ownership network for companies, investors, and employees. Founded in 2012, Carta started by helping private companies manage their cap tables. Since then Carta has expanded into valuations, investor services, and public markets. We now support 8,000+ companies, 500,000+ unique stakeholders, & have valued over $200B in private assets.

Carta Details
Discussions
Carta Community

Carta is modernizing and revolutionizing the way private companies manage and interact with their share- and optionholders.

Carta is the only equity management platform that allows companies to issue securities electronically, and run the reporting and modeling companies and investors need, all in one place. As a result, Carta is the best tool for scaling organizations to collaborate with their law firms, employees, investors, and other stakeholders in a secure system.

Carta
2007
Ontario, Canada
@cartainc

Carta Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Carta community
Have you used Carta before?

Carta Reviews

Showing 55 Carta reviews
Already have Carta?
CFO
COO & CoFounder
What do you like best?

Very easy for Board Members, Investors and Employees to have information about the company and access to the cap table according to the company policy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Onboarding and implementation took a little bit longer but is part of the compliance. Customer care and support was great along the process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Employees can see and track their options. One source for the cap table. Easy to maintain contact with investors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

The ability to manage all my ESOP's & RSU's from multiple years and vesting schedules into a single place is highly convenient.

The application shows you both the Net & Total Holding value based on today's share prices.

In case of ESOP's it also gives you a clear idea about the amount one needs to pay to exercise the options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For non-US bank accounts you need to set up wire transfer which involves an extra fee and an intermediary back, which is not very user friendly way of doing things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Employee benefits management like ESOP's & RSU's. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It was so intuitive that we were able to get it stood and operational in less than a day. In addition, it is the good standard for accessing and using company 'data rooms' in all due diligence efforts within the investor community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hard to say. The tool is still emerging an and will likely improve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is the second startup as CEO where I've used Carta. Great product! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Putting all of corporate docs in one place and allowing for us to access in an efficient way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Very complete CAP table information presented in useful formats. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, it has serviced us well. Perhaps some additional FAQs to go deeper into details on investment types. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is such a valuable tool for producing documents for investors, working with you attorneys and for compliance needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

409a process built in without typical external costs for preparation. Easily track various investment rounds and types. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CFO and Owner
What do you like best?

Super easy to keep track of employee stock option grants, vesting, exercise, etc.

Annual 409A valuation report included in the annual fee.

One central database for all your investor and investment information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As a Canadian based company, as of this writing, we cannot make use of the full financing functionality of issuing securities and collecting funds via the Carta platform.

Data room folder updates and file manipulation is limited. (i.e. no drag and drop capabilities. Need to delete and reload files if you want to move them to different folders.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cap Table is updated in real-time.

Can use Carta to perform waterfall what-if analysis.

Can use Carta to communicate directly with investors. No longer need to maintain a separate investor database or Excel list with current communication information.

Can create a financing data room for prospective investors to conduct due diligence, all the while tracking access and requesting NDA signature (if needed). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Partner
What do you like best?

That I can easily understand my cap table & model scenarios for future fundraising, taking care of all the details like employee vesting schedules & note conversions. It makes it simple to communicate to investors their ownership stakes and simple to share with potential investors what their investment would achieve. Setup (after needing our law firm to do the work) was pretty easy to use. I'd like to find more ways to use it to manage corp dev strategic aspects of my business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

UI is still non-intuitive in many cases, requiring me to hunt through menus & try things. 409a process feels cumbersome & expensive, it would be great to automate this & make it cheaper. I feel the cash management and accounting integration weren't that useful, and the dashboard didn't really tell me anything too valuable Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

take your time to get all employee schedules and note/fundraising details very clear & simple for the consultant who is setting it up to use. Worth spending time to understand the communication tools. I wasn't using Carta for regular investor updates or board meetings, I believe I could have gotten value from these features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

scenario modeling has been really useful, so has being able to give employees visibility into their holdings. Simple to share cap table data with investors, avoids having to manually manage employee ownership and vesting schedules, and calculate pro-format via my law firm Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love Carta because it makes the stock option exercise process for employees seamless. It is all done through the Carta portal. No physical cash or documents are required, it is all done electronically.

Drafting new employee stock options is a breeze too. You can bulk import new option grants by filling out an import template that you can download from the Carta website.

Carta's 3921 reporting feature is also incredible. I used to use another website to generate the 3921s for my employees but now Carta has a feature that generates all employee 3921s with the touch of a button. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think Carta's exercise approval page could use some work. Right now, you cannot decline an exercise request without reaching out to Carta support. Carta support is very responsive so it is not a major problem at all, but it would be nice if the Carta admins can decline exercise requests without getting Carta support involved.

I noticed that they added the ability for Carta admins to decline exercise requests for a short time. They removed the feature fairly quickly and I assume it is because they are still trying to work out some issues with it. Hopefully they will launch it again soon. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We used to track employee stock option exercises via a spreadsheet and it was prone to so many formula and other cell errors so we were in constant fear that out stock option accounting was always wrong. With Carta, everything is integrated so if an employee exercises a stock option, I know that it will automatically be reflected on our Cap table and there is nothing to worry about. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The quick personal support from real humans has always been effective for me. They did the right thing allowing for different profiles under the same login so I can manage my own shares, and then separately manage the company's cap table. I found the ISO workflow very easy to deal with. The e-signature integration is well done, and the various prebuilt downloads are just about always exactly what I need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have complaints.. it seems they are working on a "data room" thing that will help me more. Maybe be more pro-active about things that need renewal like 409a? Perhaps a way to link up to a calendar and pre-plan due dates for things. Unless I just missed, add a quick way to see fully-diluted and undiluted versions of table? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get help setting it up right up front if you need it, because after a good setup it's a breeze to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ISO / cap management and associated docs and workflow, and 409a generation. Being to share this information and access with the board has been very helpful, and streamlining the 409a process has been a major timesaver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Head Of Finance
What do you like best?

Carta is very easy to use and to manage with multiple employees. However, what has impressed me most is definitely the response time of the Customer Service team! They are extremely quick and super helpful. Whenever I have an issue, I can quickly hop into a chat room and discuss my concerns and questions and the response time is extremely fast and usually is able to immediately address my concern. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I have yet to come across any issues. In general, the user interface and user experience are both highly intuitive and whenever I do have an issue, the customer service team has responded very quickly. The only exception is uploading new options can sometimes be tedious, though the templates they provide have made that process much easier and simpler.

I think that one advantage I have had is using a law firm that is familiar with Carta and therefore can also explain and walk me through issues. I think it would be great to have 'consultative' services for those people that do not have legal counsel that can effectively walk companies and administrators through the pros and cons of different approaches and strategies behind things like convertible notes and employee option plans. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get on it early - the sooner you get on the easier Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administration and documentation of our ESOP was a nightmare before switching to Carta. Carta has made it so much easier to deal with all of our employees: leaving, joining, executing, etc. etc. and etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder
What do you like best?

It's just exceedingly easy to use, and it's great to have all of my angel investing portfolio information in one place (at least for those companies that use Carta). We also use Carta for investor relations management with our investors in my cybersecurity company, CESPPA. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish every company that I've invested in used Carta! There's genuinely not a whole lot about the product that I don't like. I wish I had invested in the company back when I looked at it as an investment! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I wouldn't think twice about using Carta. It's easy to use and extremely useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It solves a lot of investor issues, especially if you have all of your investment companies using Carta. As an entrepreneur, it simplifies a lot of investor relations issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AB
What do you like best?

Carta has been extremely simple to setup and use. Implementation Specialist walked me through the cap table and input form to ensure the information prepared would be easily uploaded onto their system without issue. I enjoy the fact that someone was available via phone or email and quickly responded to my questions as I was completing the data input sheet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wasn't too keen that additional features cost more money where I thought it would standard. Since we fundraise, we had expected to be able to run different fundraising scenarios on Carta to generate what the cap table would look like post fundraising. Pro forma reports were not part of the package purchased and thought this would be a basic report available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make certain the data you are importing is checked repeatedly for accuracy and completeness. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Carta customer service team has been very responsive when I have questions and concerns. We had changed company name and my request was quickly addressed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This is easily one of the best SaaS products that I have ever purchased. Not only does it do exactly what you need it to do but it has a tremendous ability to report and provide details and insights on our cap table. It is consistently one of the most reliable tools that I have. The level of detail and ability to customize plans and reports are unparalleled. This was something that I had to manage through spreadsheets in previous roles which was a nightmare. I trust Carta implicitly.

The CSM experience here us also unparalleled. Every question is answered with speed an detail. The customer support is unreal. We have regular check ins and our reps are able to position new ideas and options that we can use for our use cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love to have payroll integrations. My biggest issue is around on-boarding and offboarding. All of this in manual. If there was a proper payroll integration I could manage all of this in real time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using Carta to manage our cap table. We have managed to streamline our reporting and create custom reports that allow us to model equity burn and report to investors very quickly and with accuracy. Many of our investors also use Carta to do their data collection which makes life very easy as they can pull cap table data in real time through that integration. We are evaluating 409a services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

I find Carta to be very easy to use and saves me time and money. The 409A valuations are extremely helpful and and cost efficient. It saves from having an accounting firm do they review which can be thousands of dollars. I like how my law firm can also log in and use it as well. The upsides of using carta is that it is affordable and quick to learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the pro features are a bit hidden and expensive. I sometimes can't find what I'm looking for quickly. There are placeholder emails which I'm not sure where they came from. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

People should make sure what the pricing is up front so they aren't surprised and same for renewals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm trying to take on more of the "lawyer" work to save money and be more efficient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EV
What do you like best?

Free 409a for portfolio companies, simplifies equity tracking when many stakeholders Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Massive pricing increasing, pricing mistakes versus agreed pricing, major technical issues (unable to support EUR denominated share prices), lack of clarity on roadmap (operational metric reporting), complete lack of accountability by customer success and support team, poor onboarding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at alternatives Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Equity cap table management. It has helped our portfolio companies save money on 409a, it has also simplified administrative tracking for us (post implementation). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Incredibly simple platform to manage option grants and board approvals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We use Carta as our online board book. The investor update and minute documentation is still nascent but getting better all the time. Would love to see them partner with a minute transcription service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Simple cap table management and centralized documentation for board management. We also use Carta to manage our annual 409a valuation. While I have not quantified the exact time, it easily saves a part-time FTE. We would have a tough time going back to manual tracking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

We've used Carta since the beginning for cap table management and can see a growing number of use cases coming down the pipe for us, as well.

In short, the product is thoughtfully designed and handles the complexity of a cap table with ease and makes it all easier to understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only downside so far would be cost - it can be a non-trivial expense in the very early days. Still probably pays itself off with attorney time likely being a lot less along the way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cap table management, fundraising scenario modeling, allowing stockholders to easily manage and understand their options, grants, and agreement documents in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

Clean interface for issuing options, useful for cap table management Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I also use the investor/fund platform, and that one has very limited functionality...cannot send distributions. Also, set up was a bit onerous, although the 409a process was also helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Useful for cap table management, 409a, not so useful as a fund product unless you are going to purchase the full investor services package, in which case they will manage it directly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I like using it for capital calls because it automatically generates clean documents and I like using it for board approvals in order to issue options. I've never tried using it to raise a round though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Executive Officer
What do you like best?

Takes away all my cap table management pain Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Onboarding was slow and cumbersome. Would like it to be less US entric (i am in the UK).

Would also be great to be able to paper rounds (gather signatures from current shareholders) within Carta. That would change the game for me! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't try and implement in a hurry! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Great for employee option schemes.

Board meeting feature could be richer Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

The user interface is simple and easy, so managing our securities, cap table, etc. has been far less stressful than it otherwise would be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The platform could use more inline user support -- e.g. tooltips, links to support or informational documentation. I am managing equity and cap table process for the first time, and extra information is helpful to be confident everything is accurate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a platform to self-manage the securities of your business, Carta is a great solution to help organize and streamline the process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Carta has simplified an otherwise complicated and intricate set of processes and documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GMAT Coach and MBA Admissions Consultant
What do you like best?

The easy-to-use and intuitive interface as well as the wide variety of reporting functionality. Also, it seems like Carta really listens to customer feedback and continues to implement new features that really add value. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really can't think of anything I don't like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We do our whole equity management in Carta, i.e. stakeholder management, cap table management, 409a valuations, stock option expense accounting, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

I really like the vesting schedule that is visible on Carta. It is clear, easy to understand and very detailed. I like that it breaks it down on a monthly basis to see how much you've vested already and you can also see what remains. The mobile app is great, as well! Works so well that I find that I rarely need to log onto the desktop version of Carta. Very well done with the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As states previously, I almost exclusively use the app and not the desktop version It has what I need, but it does seem kind of bare (almost too bare bones). But, I like the simplicity, so it's a trade-off, I suppose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Carta to others -- it is the best software out there for keeping employees informed of options that have been vested and remain to be vested. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Previously, it was not easy to find out information on our vesting schedule. Carta has solved all of those issues and we are very happy with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

COO
What do you like best?

The service makes managing your cap table pretty easy. They do not have a great support system, but their platform is easy enough where you can figure out how to manage your documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Carta raised pricing on us by almost 10x without warning or explanation. When asking them about this, they basically dismissed my frustration with the way they went about charging us by essentially saying they dont want me to be frustrated but there's nothing they can do about it.

Let me note that with this new price increase I was never sent a letter or email letting us know that our price would increase. Additionally, they did not send any receipts to our account and the only way I found out about the charges was that I happened to be doing our books.

Unfortunately, this is not a company you can trust. We are, essentially, stuck at this point because we simply do not know what to do to manage the documents that we had entrusted to them when we first started our company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are trying to solve the problem of issuing vesting stock options to new employees on a small scale, and managing our cap table and document storage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EC
What do you like best?

Classification of all the data, ability to generate various views per needs of reporting and integrated site for employees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Have not tested the integration with payment system. Unclear on how Carta arrives at 409A valuation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good stock management software that provides an unified interface to everything relating to stock and awards in the company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Unified shares, Equity grants and warrant management software for employees, lawyers and management. Facilitates ease of providing inputs to investors at all time and the time is a golden store of information Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

Carta is a very tech-friendly and intuitive tool to use from both an administrative and end-user perspective, which has significantly helped our team in administering equity compensation. Additionally, the support team whether it's via a chat, email or phone-call has always been quick and efficient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We haven't utilized the 3921 support due to the high pricing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy tool to implement and use with great support! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to easily administer our equity compensation, quickly run cap tables, and ensure compliance through the expense accounting and 409a valuations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.