When I Work

Simple employee scheduling software and online time clock with free scheduling apps and time clock apps. Send mobile alerts to your staff about their shifts.

Work for When I Work?

Learning about When I Work?

When I Work Reviews

Ask When I Work a Question
Showing 131 When I Work reviews
When I Work review by Jordan T.
Jordan T.

"Great scheduling app."

What do you like best?

I like the reminders each day whenever I have a shift. I also like the ability to set my availability and request time off and drop/swap shifts right from the app. I love the calendar view because it helps me plan out my week and see upcoming shifts. When I Work is helpful because it allows managers to release the schedules weeks (and even months) ahead of time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the number of steps you have to go through to set availability. I've accidentally set a recurring availability a few times when I did not mean to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free up to a certain number of employees! Easy and intuitive!

It helps employees keep track of their shifts and allows them to swap and drop shifts right in the app. It also makes for easy shift adding/editing for managers. The schedule layout is helpful to have opened every day so we can keep track of who is leaving at what time.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about When I Work
When I Work review by Kathleen W.
Kathleen W.

"Great app, but easily misused by staff"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to schedule for several weeks out. The customer support was awesome, they even customized a plan to suit our needs. The ability to hibernate your account at no charge until you need again, as we are a seasonal operation.

What do you dislike?

My staff would use the message feature to try to give away shifts too frequently, figuring if they posted that they wanted someone to pick it up, they felt they were no longer responsible for that shift. It would be great if that feature could be turned OFF by the administrator. Update: I just logged into our account and saw that this feature has been tweaked to address this issue...YIPPEE

Recommendations to others considering the product

The TIMECLOCK feature, using smartphones didn't work for us. My staff could "Clock In" from our parking lot, but not actually IN our building. We decided that feature wouldn't work for us.

As a manager, I could post the schedule once and it would go out to all staff, they could access it and download it.

What Workforce Management solution do you use?

When I Work review by Haidee J.
Haidee J.

"A Business Manager's Perspective"

What do you like best?

I like how the software invites interaction with the scheduler. As a store manager and primary scheduler, it was most helpful having the option for my employees to write a short description as to why they could not work a shift, attend a meeting, etc. instead of having to receive text messages from employees. I especially liked how the software saves that information for documentation.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how there isn't a way to hide employees who aren't currently working shifts but who are still employed with the business. I had a few "summertime only" employees and their names would remain on the spreadsheet, although they weren't going to be working for 6-8 months. This bothers me because it makes it appear that there are numerous available employees while there are only actually a few who are able to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Allow time to familiarize yourself with the app. It has lots of significant features, but it takes a bit of trial and error to make the most out of it.

When I Work is helping my business better organize our employee schedules while improving the efficiency of our store's finances. We have realized that this system is critical to the fluid nature of our business: If there is a shift that hasn't been filled, the manager and another worker is aware and can fill that slot. Similarly, if there is a scheduling conflict, the app will notify you so you can iron things out.

When I Work review by Rachel R.
Rachel R.

"Work Scheduling Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I used to spend hours making spreadsheets of our employees shifts to get it just right. Sadly, when an employee needed to make a change, I had to manually edit the document and reprint it. I needed something easier, that's when I found the When I Work app. I can set a specific time block and easily drag and drop that shift into our employees schedule. Then if there are any changes, I just move the time block to another employee. Because I spend so much less time prepping our work schedule, I am able to give more time to our store and our customers. I love this program!

What do you dislike?

My only constructive criticism is that the When I Work app on my phone has slightly different features than the desktop site. It makes a little harder to navigate to the feature I like to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is super easy to set up each employee on the app. Once you create the time blocks you need for your site, adding the shifts into the schedule for each employee takes mere seconds! So easy!

I am solving the frustration with shift switching and weeks of scheduling that are similar to past weeks, and the "copy last weeks schedule" feature is a lifesaver!

When I Work review by Lindsay H.
Lindsay H.

"When I Work review"

What do you like best?

We love the mobile functionality. Our old system didn't have a mobile feature.

We also really like the "open shift" option where we can offer an open shift and people who want extra hours can pick it up.

We also have very mixed feelings on the notifications - the good part is that it notifies employees when someone needs to drop a shift so everyone knows there is an opportunity to pick up a shift. Another good part of the notifications is that if someone is scheduled to work and they haven't clocked in, they will get a reminder about it. This is great for those who forgot they were scheduled to work, and those who came to work, but didn't clock in when they arrived.

We also love being able to set a recurring shift. For the most part, our employees work the schedule every week during an academic quarter. I can give them a shift for week 1 and as I am setting it up, I can pick for it to recur and the end date for that recurrence. And then, if someone changes the night they work, I can delete all recurring shifts, or if I just need to delete 1 shift I can. I can also move it to an open shift, which I love being able to do!

I also like being able to export the daily timesheet information for payroll. We have a custom payroll system, so it doesn't integrate with When I Work, but it is nice to be able to export the excel file of time clock data.

What do you dislike?

We don't like that you can't set up the notifications to be in a daily digest. We have 120ish employees who are all college students. During exam weeks, there are a lot of drop shift requests, which each come as an individual email or phone notification. It would be nice to have the option of getting those as a daily digest.

Another thing I, as the person who does and maintains all of the scheduling, wish I could is set an individual schedule. I can go to an employee and view their schedule, but I can't edit it. To edit it, I have to be on the main scheduling looking at all 130+ employees to change one person's schedule.

It is also occasionally 'buggy.' We have tablets that employees can use to clock in on, or they can use their phones. Sometime after they've clocked in on the tablet, they get a notification that they didn't clock in.

The other thing I really wish it did relates to the "requests report." You can run a report to see who requested time off or a drop shift. Our environment is such that they don't request time off, only to drop a shift. I wish the report told us who took the shift when they requested to drop it. And also, I wish there was a report to show who had taken open shifts. We used to recognize the employees who picked up extra shifts and helped others out by taking their shifts, but now we don't have the data to do it. There might be a way to go through and figure it out from payroll, but with 130 employees, that is way too cumbersome to be feasible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do trials, ask a lot of questions, and have the people that are actually going to be using it (the employees) look at it - that is always my recommendation for considering software.

Our old scheduling system was "sunset," so first and foremost it gave us a way to continue to schedule our employees. Beyond that, it has really helped with our attendance issues. If one of our employees is going to miss work, it is much easier for them to let the others know and find someone to cover for them. During our busy times, we don't have near as many missed shifts. And, during our slow times, we don't have extra employees. Before, if we didn't have enough people scheduled on a given night, we would let people "walk in," but it was difficult to communicate it and we had no way to know if who was coming. Sometimes 8 extra people would come in and we wouldn't have enough work for them, and sometimes no one would come and we would be overwhelmed. Now, with the ability to schedule open shifts, our employees know there is an opportunity to work more, and when they accept the open shift, they are held accountable and reminded to come for that extra shift. And, once the open shifts are all gone, no one else can come in, so we aren't paying people to be here while having no work for them to do.

When I Work review by Matt R.
Matt R.

"Great solution. Just didn't work for us."

What do you like best?

When I work is a great solution. We were very impressed by what we saw in the demos for how this solution could streamline our scheduling process.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, once we signed on with When I Work it became apparent that the solution was not going to work for us. We simply had too unique of a scheduling requirement for how we work with billable and non-billable clients that the system could not support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Demos are great... but unfortunately even in demos you miss things that can make or break implementations. We thought we did a good job of due diligence but simply didn't ask enough questions.

Scheduling is crazy and can be very hard to manage. We were hoping that When I Work would meet those needs and were very impressed with the system as we evaluated it. Unfortunately, real life had other ideas and it simply couldn't keep up with what we needed it to do.

When I Work review by Morgan T.
Morgan T.

"Ideal for Location Specific Employees"

What do you like best?

When I Work provides employers and employees with the ability to track hourly and salaried employees, their time off, and adjust the time zone to apply to that employee's particular location.

The app is the greatest feature as nearly all employees have their schedules at their fingertips at any given time on their smartphones. They receive electronic reminders in the form of a text and e-mail for clocking in. If a shift is missed, a text is sent to let them know that they forgot to clock in. When clocking in late, a note can be added.

What do you dislike?

Clocking in with location-specific features has provided troublesome for those working remotely/from home. Without the IP address approved, the application will not allow the employee to clock in. Often times this results in simply not clocking in or added work for the admins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When I Work is ideal for location-specific employees that have a set IP address.

A benefit When I Work provides is the ability for all employees to see an overview of everyone's schedule. This provides transparency and ease of access for those trying to schedule callbacks requests for specific agents.

Another problem solved is blocking off availability. If an employee is not available Wednesday evenings due to a class or organized sport, they can request that they are not available during those hours.

When I Work review by Administrator

"User friendly and great resources "

What do you like best?

Easy of transition between schedule and payroll system. Integrates perfectly with gusto payroll. You can easily have staff set their availability and request time off, so no need to fiddle with excel or keep up with requests. Staff can chat or watch videos if they have questions about any functions with the software. If I have questions about anything or suggestions, it is very easy to relay that information.

What do you dislike?

Too many features have been removed in recent times and requires a payment. The text notifications are not always accurate and are not always received on time. I also tried to opt out of these notifications, but still continuously receive about 30 a day. The mobile clock in using location can be inaccurate and cause for many issues not allowing staff to click in. This wastes my time by having to manually clock in. The terminal option does help, but the mobile feature accuracy would be most beneficial for my staff. They use smart phones much more often then regular computers at the moment. Features have been taken away recently and required more payment. It would be nice to have options to directly integrate with booking/reservation systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy and accessible scheduling system. Works well with payroll and great asset to keep track of labor costs.

Easy to onboard and helps keep track of time off/availabilty. The labor tracking fucntions have been an unexpected feature that has actually helped the operation of our business. It is easy to see when employees are getting close to their cap or how our sales compare to our labor costs. We are now able to directly track without using excessive programs and formulas to find out where we are at with costs. Would be helpful to also add place for expenses and other costs. I have realized how easy When I work makes onboarding my employees. I can have them set availabilty immediately and get them their schedule within minutes. It is also great to be able to copy and paste last weeks schedule!

When I Work review by Carol F.
Carol F.

"I can't imagine doing scheduling without it! "

What do you like best?

It makes complicated scheduling possible.

What do you dislike?

There are lots of functions it doesn't have that I wish it had. I'd like to easily rearrange the order of employees while scheduling a week. I'd like the rows of employees to be different colors so I ensure the Saturday shift is going to the right person. I'd like the to have an option for the shifts to stack in one row, rather than doubling the height of the row and hiding another employee. I'd like the open shifts to have a lock so I can scroll employees to the open shifts. And so much more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When I Work is a wonderful product with minor limitations.

We successfully schedule 2 locations with lots of complicated scheduling rules. I don't know how I'd do it otherwise!

When I Work review by Amanda S.
Amanda S.

"Good in keeping track of schedule"

What do you like best?

Being able to see my schedule on my phone is very helpful. I wish switching shifts was a little smoother of a process, but that might just be my companies integration of the system. It is very helpful to be able to see who is working with you at a certain location, and to be prepared to show up to work with the work reminders.

What do you dislike?

Again I am not sure if it is just how my company uses the system, but the count of total hours for the week includes the days that you are scheduled off. For example, if you have 64 hours for a week and are scheduled one day off (24 hours) you have to subtract 24 from 64 to figure out that your total scheduled hours for the week are 40 hours. Its not the biggest deal but I wish that it only showed the hours I actually worked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good system for scheduling and viewing others schedules.

Being able to view your schedule wherever you are is helpful. Also as I mentioned I can also see where and when everyone else is scheduled in case I am looking to switch shifts with someone. As well as employees it shows me who of the managers is on duty that day and allows me to be able to contact them if I have any issues. At a company with multiple employees trained to work at multiple locations, it is very helpful to be able to see such a thing.

When I Work review by Lissa K.
Lissa K.

"Easy scheduling and templaytes"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create shift templates and copy the previous weeks schedule so that I only have to make a few adjustments each time I create the schedule for the week

What do you dislike?

I can't differentiate between employees on an hourly wage and contractors paid per each class they teach versus hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We are in the process of switching platforms because we are in need of HR as well as more assistance in payroll. I think that wheniwork is perfect for small companies, but not quite enough for midsized businesses

The biggest problems we have solved have been when employees need to change shifts or drop shifts. Most of the issues get resolved on their own when they are looking to swap a shift with another employee

When I Work review by Megan D.
Megan D.

"It has some glitches, but it is definitely better than other time clock apps I've used"

What do you like best?

I love the timesheet tab where I can see when I clocked in and out. This helps me make sure my hours are being logged properly so there are no discrepancies on my pay check.

What do you dislike?

I often have trouble clocking in because the location device isn't exact enough. I will be in the store and the app will say I am too far away to clock in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely say that they need to work on the location part of the app.

One of the biggest problem we had prior to WIW was the owners were not immediately made aware that an employee had not clocked in for their scheduled shift. So if an employee forgot to clock in, then the owners wouldn't find out until they went to do pay roll.

When I Work review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Great Simple Staff Scheduler"

What do you like best?

After looking at multiple systems for scheduling we came across When I Work. It is simple to use and our employees love it. We allow our employees to do some work from home where they can easily add to their time sheets. Scheduling employees is easy especially when they put their preferences and availabilities in. It also allows for employees to trade and swap shifts if a conflict comes up allowing for management to have one less thing to work about.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike. I have it set up to allow for employees to be able to edit their own time sheet and that requires a lot of trust however I believe you can turn this off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would use this if you want something simple to use and pretty cheap. Our employees love it and continue to find new features in it that benefit them.

I use for scheduling and time tracking. See what I like for benefits.

When I Work review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Good way to organize but with very confusing details"

What do you like best?

The idea of having a software that allows me to organize my schedule

What do you dislike?

The difference between the web version and the app on my phone plus the availability

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good system to schedule your shift and to be aware of all the coworkers that you work with or could help you, and a very good system to keep track of everything you do.

The possibility of splitting and dropping shifts with my colleagues gives me more flexibility on the organization of my personal schedule, and is perfect to be able to see who else is working and their availability, so that I don't have to bother everybody, but I can contact personally only the people that could be able to help me with a shift I can't make, for example. In the app I love that I can see easily how many hours I am working every week, because that, as an international student, is something I need to always have to be careful with and on the other hand I can always be sure that I work all the hours I can, to get the amount of money I need, and it's perfect that I can take shifts from my phone, because that way I don't have to wait for when I am on my computer to pick shifts. The app is very useful and help us all to keep track of everything that happens at work. When I have supervisors shifts is really important, for the kind of job we do, that I can see who is working, who is coming, ecc..

When I Work review by Dawson R.
Dawson R.

"A good platform, but a buggy implementation"

What do you like best?

The program has many features that are desirable in a scheduling software. The mobile app for punching in and out is an amazing idea. The abilities to have multiple job sites and allow workers to quickly request time off are also nice.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app is beyond buggy. It sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't. This means that people have late clock-ins and clock-outs and sometimes don't ever clock in because the app wouldn't even load correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good program and has it's benefits, just be warry of the mobile app.

Scheduling many workers across multiple job sites.

When I Work review by Catherine P.
Catherine P.

"Easy App for Managing Shifts"

What do you like best?

Anytime my boss updates my schedule I get a notification which is very convenient. I also like that you have to acknowledge your shifts in case they’ve made a mistake in the schedule.

What do you dislike?

It’s slightly irritating to be notified when you haven’t clocked out because often times you’re required to be at work longer, but this is probably something that can be adjusted in settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seems very easy to manage our small staff and that it would be a good option for those with a larger team as well.

It’s great that all of your work contacts are in one place. As the newest member of our team it was nice to have everyone’s number & email info stored on the app.

When I Work review by User in Music
User in Music

"Great software! easy scheduling, easy to keep track of the attendance!"

What do you like best?

It's easy to see when and who came in to work. Clocking in/out system is well-thought. Attendance is easy to track. Love the colorful shifts, makes it easier to define which shift is which when looking at the global schedule.

What do you dislike?

The grid is very sensitive to changes when splitting a shift manually, cutting it in pieces or creating a new one. Easy to mess up if it's 1:15 or 1:30. Sometimes availability column is glitching, hopefully, will work fine later. Other than that everything else is great

great resource for scheduling employees and tracking their attendance and hours. Easy to see who is over hours and who is under hours. There is definitely an advantage in using colors when creating shifts. Colorful shifts don't create a mess when looking at the schedule but on the opposite help determining quickly about who is doing what and when.

When I Work review by User

"Frequent user of WhenIWork"

What do you like best?

My company has almost all remote employees, so having the capability to clock in to shifts from my remote location is in valuable. I also greatly appreciate the easy capability of requesting a shift to drop or swap with a colleague and also the ease of picking up a colleague's shift. The tools for setting my availability are great too and I like that the app reminds me three minutes after if I have forgotten to clock in or out.

What do you dislike?

At times the app can be confusing for setting hours and changing availability. Sometimes I spend much longer than I would like trying to get the settings the way I need them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool for managing shifts and work hours

This app solves the problem of having all employees working on their computers remotely and still having a record of when they were working. And the ease of scheduling work shifts and disseminating this information weekly.

When I Work review by User

"It's great- just a few glitches"

What do you like best?

It's nice to be able to clock in from your phone, we have to be able to keep all of our hours at 40, and it is so nice to be able keep track and make sure that I won't be making my boss mad with unnecessary over time, haha!

What do you dislike?

It some times will be glitchy and won't let you clock in, or can say you didn't clock in, when you did. It's not a big deal, but it would be even better without this minor problem! All you have to do is reinstall the app! And other than that it works great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this to any company that would benefit from having people clock in on their phone. And ESPECIALLY if your employees are keeping track of their own hours. It shows if they were on location when they clocked in and everything. Super useful!

It's a good way to keep track of our time clock and stay at our hours!

When I Work review by Jazmine K.
Jazmine K.

"When I work has good scheduling features"

What do you like best?

I like that you can use the app to switch shifts with other workers as well as the fact that there are descriptions for the time slot you are alotted. I also enjoy the early reminders before work.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the process to take work off or that if you drop a shit the fact that it will leave you on the schedule unless someone else decides to take the shift. sometimes it can be a real life communication but wont happen in time on the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say to check all the shits before you hit the confirm all button

I like that you can see when the rest of your colleagues are working in case there is something that you need to coordinate for later in the day when you arent present

When I Work review by Dejon G.
Dejon G.

"When I work is great In theory, but in actual use... it can be a hassle. "

What do you like best?

The ability to fix employee times from my phone. I also truly enjoy the ability to color code.

What do you dislike?

Most of the time that I used WhenIWork, it would not register proper locations. I feel as if the signal would get disrupted when we went into the train stations, however, the location services would not realize once we left the train station some times and wouldn’t allow us to clock in at a specific location.

It’s a more modern approach to time cards, and a good way to monitor both your part time and full time employees and color code them to not be confused with interns. The color coding is amazing.

When I Work review by Kimberly B.
Kimberly B.

"Overall a great service"

What do you like best?

The program is easy to access from my desktop and mobile device for on-the-go usage. Building the schedule is also pretty simple with their "shift templates."

What do you dislike?

Shift notifications do not show the amount of time allotted for lunch breaks. It must be typed in manually in the notes section. Currently, the weekly schedule can only be viewed Sunday-Saturday, would love to have a slider option to view the next day (ex: Monday-Sunday, Tuesday-Monday, etc.). Would also love to be able to give certain people viewing access to other employee's schedules without making them an admin.

The system automatically calculates and shows how many hours each employee is scheduled. Really helps with minimizing overtime! It also allows you to see everyone scheduled on the same team.

When I Work review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Flexible scheduling tool with some hiccups"

What do you like best?

Intuitive interface, easy-to-learn and a relatively well-rounded scheduling tool for growing teams. WIW has been able to keep up with our company as it's grown from 1 city to multiple cities. We rely very heavily on the Scheduler feature, which until recently has been invaluable in allowing us to operate seamlessly. It allows us to set up multiple cities, multiple positions and color-code shifts based on various factors. It allows us to see available and unavailable times at a glance, shows us shifts that still need to be assigned and overall gives you great visibility on the details you need to accurate handle scheduling.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations and quirks that can make it frustrating. Recently we lost all of our employee availability and schedules due to an update. We found out the hard way (i.e. with no warning) that the availability shown in the Scheduler was not accurate. The only way to get accurate times was to go into each employees profile. To their credit, WhenIWork was responsive though their responses did leave us feeling a bit frustrated. It sounded like it was a known issue but there'd been no notice given.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When I Work can seem a bit intimidating as you're first getting used to it, however it's worth taking the time to poke around before giving up or moving on. Once you understand the UI and functions, using it is fast, easy and accurate.

Scheduling multiple employees across multiple cities

Tracking payroll for employees across different cities and locations

Tracking training and approval for specific shift-types with the help of positions and tags.

When I Work review by Ryland S.
Ryland S.

"Effective, but could be easier to use"

What do you like best?

The time off submission and approval request process is easy

What do you dislike?

the default time when a rep puts in their time goes to am. So when a rep enters in the number "2", it defaults their time to 2am.

The terminal location finder option is inconsistent.

It would be great if there was an option for managers to disallow employees from entering in their hours at a later date, and if it were possible to force employees to clock in and out when they began working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to train your employees thoroughly on the software before implementation

The simple hour management is what we use it for.

When I Work review by Lisa H.
Lisa H.

"Makes Scheduling Easy!"

What do you like best?

It's scheduler is easy to use and I love that you can save templates for shifts to make it a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I do wish it was a bit easier to use at first. It didn't take a lot of time, but there was definitely a learning curve. I also would have liked it if they had a support phone number.

We were scheduling using a Google Spreadsheet that become increasingly difficult. This made it streamlined and easy.

When I Work review by Tanya M.
Tanya M.

"Schedule from anywhere!"

What do you like best?

Being able to check my schedule anytime without having to remember to check it at work or take it with me.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty getting into your workplace's WIW group in the first place - I had to hound my managers to remember to send me the invite for weeks rather than being able to just search the workplace and request to join.

My coworkers and I can all be on the same page with our schedules and can communicate within.

When I Work review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Great Scheduling Service"

What do you like best?

It is so easy to schedule all of my employees using When I work! I love being able to see all of my employees schedules. The attendance notifications are really helpful because I can keep track of where my team is hour-wise on both an individual basis and as a whole as well. I also like the forecast report so I can see a clear view of my week ahead. The mobile app helps me check in on the go which is a major plus!

What do you dislike?

There have been occasional issues with clock-ins through the app itself which had to be dealt with, mainly when it doesn't recognize the location or the punch does not go through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have to deal with scheduling over 10 staff members this app will help you do it with ease!

We have been able to track our employees hours so much easier, and also use it year to year to plan for different staffing needs.

When I Work review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"When I Work streamlines what used to be a hectic iCalendar/Google Calendar"

What do you like best?

It makes scheduling yourself for weeks at a time a breeze! It’s like iCal but for your coworkers and supervisor to view too. No more excel docs or long emails from the boss to the entire staff in order to outline the work schedules every.single.day.

What do you dislike?

The formatting on the calendar is a little wonky sometimes on both my computer and mobile device; the time slots sometimes extend outside the box, making them impossible to click on. Past shifts can disappear from the calendar as well, so beware if you plan on referring back to When I Work to log your shifts in a time sheet later on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! I have no complaints. It is very beneficial for jobs in which many employees swap shifts a lot, or have variable schedules every week.

When I Work helps streamline sharing work schedules, swapping shifts, cancelling shifts, etc. It is very beneficial for jobs in which many employees swap shifts a lot, or have variable schedules every week.

When I Work review by Dave H.
Dave H.

"Excellent scheduling / payroll platform"

What do you like best?

The scheduling layout / interface is first rate. Easy to copy shifts, drag & drop, swap, etc. Handles everything from employee-initiated shift-swaps to vacation requests to time punches. All the interfaces are very clean and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

It's a minor issue, but the navigation icons are not very intuitive. Can be a little difficult to find the correct page, at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a straightforward, user-friendly scheduling application, this is it!

Scheduling. It handles multi-site scheduling quite well; I have team members across multiple states multiple schedulers, and it is easy for them to coordinate.

When I Work review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Schedule"

What do you like best?

I can access the full schedule quickly: I know when I’m working, who I’m working with, and what our specific duties will be for the day.

What do you dislike?

The shift “swap” function often fails on both ends for employees, so the manager has to manually exchange shifts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s better than any other scheduling software or employee communication method I’ve encountered before, in much larger restaurants. I definitely recommend it.

It’s very difficult to miss a shift with When I Work, because you can sign up for automated text reminders at a time you specify before each shift. You can connect with every coworker without having to obtain phone numbers, or a phone list, or worrying about disrupting anyone’s personal time: the When I Work chat function will send the coworker a notification that they have messages.

When I Work review by Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Easy to use and mobile app!!!"

What do you like best?

I like I can change the schedule from the app and also see who is clocked in. I don’t have time to open my computer sometimes and this is quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

Some times it’s hard to schedule out in week form. There are ways around this but hope they fix this. When you go to move a shift that has a preset time and move it to an employee the time moves and don’t stay where we have it preset.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and you must get it for your business.

Easier to schedule and easy to find who can work when.

When I Work review by Isabel R.
Isabel R.

"easy to use and practical"

What do you like best?

it lets you see who is working at what time so you know who your coworkers are going to be, the clock in makes it easy to keep track of everyones shifts.

What do you dislike?

the new availability is really confusing, it used to better when they had the weekly colour bars

scheduling is a lot easier with the app. /it helps with payrol and time tracing because it lets you see the hours worked. The phone app is also really helpful

When I Work review by Matheus N.
Matheus N.

"Great tool!"

What do you like best?

The When i Work tools is perfect when the weekly schedule for employees is not fixed, meaning that every week the shifts are in different times. It makes it a lot easier to see who is also working with you, to drop/swap shifts with fellow employees and clock in/out of work.

What do you dislike?

One thing that i don't like is that is not possible to merge subsequent shifts, making it as only one.

Sharing schedules between fellow employees. The tools is perfect for that.

When I Work review by Administrator

"Great for a small business team!"

What do you like best?

I love that this software allows me to create different schedules for several different teams; I can divide up the schedule based on department, or in my case, location. It's all in one place, and it's so convenient! I also love that it's compatible with QuickBooks--makes payroll a breeze!

What do you dislike?

I wish that When I Work could integrate with Bookeo, which is another product we use for bookings at our business.

The simple scheduling templates have turned scheduling from a 6-hour task to a 15-minute task. It's so much easier to keep track of all my employees' time off, their availability, and what shifts I need covered.

"Scheduling Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I love that every member of our team is able to show their availability in one place and scheduling is quick and easy to change! It's nice that it's easy to schedule things in advance and edit details of the list. Our employees are able to go through and check in when they arrive at their sites and if they miss it's immediate for us to track! It's really easy to add detailed messages to specific actors when they need more specific details on the performances they are doing. It's easy to add in those minor details in the scheduling aspect of things for the entire team to see as opposed to having to reach out to every individual who is going to that site and have to say the same thing multiple times.

What do you dislike?

It's a little difficult to copy and paste the same shift multiple times, but that's so minor, it's hard to say that's a dislike. I really like using this software, and it's amazing how easy it is to

We have so many offsite places we travel to since our employees are actors, so being able to see everyone's schedule for the day is amazing. I realized how beneficial this is for our company specifically when it comes to needing to reschedule or add another person to the required days of performances. It's so convenient that everyone can see everything, so it's transparent in terms of being able to see what everyone is doing on what days.I really like using this software, and it's amazing how easy it is to train our new employees on seeing their work days.

When I Work review by Kassandra T.
Kassandra T.

"The Best For Scheduling Shifts!"

What do you like best?

I love being able to choose and schedule my work shifts through an app on my phone. I also love that it uploads my shifts to my phone's calendar and sends me reminders 2 hours in advance so unless there's an unexpected set back, I'm always on time. I love that When I Work sends me a reminder notification to my phone and to my email as well.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that in order to use When I Work I must always confirm that I'm an Active Counselor at Crisis Text Line. If I take a few days off, the app can stop showing my schedule. I also dislike that to use When I Work I have to use the app, I cannot just log into the website and use When I Work through a web page as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to check with your Employer if they have signed up to be a part of When I Work to do employee scheduling that way!

When I Work helps to solve the problem of Time Management for Employees. It's easy for me to keep track of my schedule, what days/time I will be working and it's also easy for me to request time off and to edit my schedule as needed. When I Work has helped me to keep track of the time I dedicate to work and it also helps me to manage the time I dedicate to other activities by reminding me of when I'll be working which helps me to be on time almost all the time.

When I Work review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Convenient Scheduling App for any business situation."

What do you like best?

When I Work has an easy to understand structure and may be customized for your business needs.

What do you dislike?

Employees are the only user allowed to set their own availability preferences. While I completely understand the integrity behind this design it does have some frustration for the scheduler. Often employees will fail to set their availability, even if they have very specific limitations, and it would be handy for the employer to be able to note this in order to avoid scheduling errors.

When I work has enable me to schedule every job position across multiple job sites. Running a multi-platform business can be chaotic at times and WIW streamlines the scheduling/employee database needs. Over the years we've used WIW they've given employees the flexibility to message and request to trade shifts with their co-workers. This is a huge time saver for employers!

When I Work review by Jhonathan R.
Jhonathan R.

"Fast paced and user frienndly"

What do you like best?

simple, fast, organized and practical, this tool can help you to keep employes on check, reduce payroll inconvinients and track employees abandon of their responsibilities. As a supervisoryou have access to many feats that helps you to even track an employees honesty about his working hours, the simplicity makes it an awesome tool for bussiness starters, recently promoted supervisors and HR payrol management, they add a work chat option this help employees to guide their cooworkers, also helps HR to get to any need really quickly.

What do you dislike?

Is still improving, which is also a good asset, but in the dislike deparment I'll say is a bit dull to the eye, it could have a bit more of dimamism, I'm totally aware that this is probably to reduce issues with RAM or proccessing, but a bit more of life, colour... "spark" will be awesome

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fast paced, friendly user and above everything functional, a rool you should have and onyou can rely on

Mostly payroll and employee's abandon, are the problems it solves. The functionality and timesaving experience that provides are the greatest benefits, HR and payrol reduce the time of tracking working hours, deductions and extra hours.

"General Manager "

What do you like best?

Scheduling multiple people in one consolidated place. We are a restaurant with 30 plus employees and we were able to create FOH and BOH schedules independently. Also love the request off, drop shift and employee’s ability to update availability in real time.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the entire schedule would show up on the dashboard for today. So many time employees have contacted me asking why they are not on the schedule. Only to tell them to click on scheduler and they will see themselves.

Overtime, employee availability, management not knowing/approving shift changes, time off requests, events, etc.

When I Work review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Easy Scheduling... If You're in the Same Time Zone!"

What do you like best?

It was easy to switch between the company schedule and my personal schedule. It was easy to request shifts off and have them approved all through the app or website. You could also post if you needed someone to switch a shift with you.

What do you dislike?

It did not appear that you could have the timezone change for each user. When one person changed the timezone to reflect their own, it changed the timezone for everyone using the software. We had to all agree on one timezone (where company HQ was) and convert it ourselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great because it can be used on the desktop website, but also translates really well to a smartphone app! I loved that no matter which device I was using, I could easily get the information I needed. Worked well for a smaller company, not sure how it would scale to a large one. Again, it was challenging because the timezone wasn't individualized (at least not that we ever figured out). My company recently switched to a different software (for reasons that I do not know) and I am beyond confused trying to navigate it. Would definitely recommend giving this software a chance!

It made scheduling easier and changes were updated immediately, so everyone could be on the same page. It also allowed workers to advertise when they needed to switch shifts or couldn't make a shift and other employees could easily pick them up - and it was all recorded on the schedule! So our managers were able to keep track of everything.

"Nothing else like it "

What do you like best?

The layout of this software is second to none. We have checked out many scheduling options but none are as easy to read as When I Work! The ability to see a full week’s schedule at once, organized by staff member, filterable by position or location... it’s just so easy!

What do you dislike?

I wish it was oriented to service businesses and had a client facing portal. But, that’s not what it is built for.

WIW makes scheduling so easy for admin and clock-ins/outs easy for our staff.

When I Work review by Alber B.
Alber B.

"Swap and dropping shifts"

What do you like best?

How employees can comunicate and get their shifts covered. It is easy for employes to communicate about getting their shifts covered from the co-workers. Moreover, it’s easy to drop or swap part of the shifts and see who is available.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like how setting availability is confusing.

I am a supervisior. I create and edite shifts. I fix time sheets.

When I Work review by Brian T. O. D.
Brian T. O. D.

"Best Online Scheduling Software Going!"

What do you like best?

I searched long and hard for an affordable online scheduling solution for my team. We provide services from multiple locations across several time zones and needed a solutions that was user-friendly and made managing requests like sick leave and time off easier on our supervisors. Now all of our employees can access their schedules and even request to drop or swap shifts on the fly. Everyone is on the same page and since we started using Wheniwork we haven't had one "no show" caused by miscommunication. Great solutions, and amazing support.

What do you dislike?

I am having a hard time finding something I dislike about Wheniwork. The only suggestion I had was about adding some functionality around times zone assignments for work sites and locations, but they are currently working on adding that as a feature. Right now I just need to remember that when I add a shift in another time zone from where I am, the times display as the time in my zone not the zone of the site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out...you will be impressed.

All of our employees can access their schedules and even request to drop or swap shifts on the fly and I can moderate their requests from wherever I am. Everyone is on the same page and since we started using Wheniwork we haven't had one "no show" caused by schedule miscommunication. Great solution, and amazing support.

When I Work review by Adam C.
Adam C.

"Just getting started with when I work. "

What do you like best?

It is nice that I can customize each job and location by color to make it easier to see what I need as a 'manager'.

What do you dislike?

It seems like once every employee is in the system then it should be a little easier. We are still trying to get everyone in to set it up. Seems a little too busy for some of the employees who are used to a simple schedule sheet.

Trying to be able to find the exact people with specific qualifications who would be able to fill shifts of people who call out. You can put people's jobs or ability type in there profile then know if they are qualified to cover someone else's shift.

When I Work review by Ashley B.
Ashley B.

"Free Online Scheduler -- "

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility and ease of use. It is accessible online and via mobile app which makes it very convenient. You can upload your availabiliy as well as swap and give up shifts.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I have no major dislikes.

Finding an affordable and easy way to schedule employees. It is beneficial for approving time off requests, scheduling in advance, and contacting employees through the workchat for updates and emergencies.

When I Work review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Easy to use, able to communicate with other staff"

What do you like best?

I like that it is available as a mobile and desktop app. It is easy to use with a simple design. I like the ability to message other staff through the app, and that you can view other staff's contact info within the app. It is clear how to request days off, enter availability, and request changes to your schedule. I liked the notifications for schedule postings, open shifts, messages, etc. I also liked how you could see who else was working with you.

What do you dislike?

I noticed that the app appears and behaves a little differently between Apple and Android. I did not like that if I dropped a shift, but later changed my mind, that it would not let me take that shift back. Also, when first signing up, we had lots of issues with people accidentally creating workplaces instead of employee profiles! The initial sign-up was not super clear on that.

It is easy to communicate scheduling needs through the app. It is easy to visualize the daily schedule to ensure all shifts are covered. The app facilitates easy communication between staff regarding schedules. This app worked well for our workplace which had frequently changing and flexible schedules.

When I Work review by User in Information Technology and Services

"When I work gives you what you need"

What do you like best?

The shifts appear right on notifications and are one click to accept someone elses shift

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I wish all the companies I worked for utilize this excellent product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with this product it is the BEST scheduling software I have used for various companies I work for. It gives you notifications you need (but not too many) to stay on top of your schedule and if something comes up you are able to post and others accept your shift with minimual supervisory interaction.

It is used by company to post available shifts, outages from work and upcoming shifts you are assigned to.

When I Work review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"WhenIWork on the field "

What do you like best?

The ability to check in and out of locations. Very easy to keep track of hours during the week. Even easier for the ops team to compile all data on a weekly basis.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can freeze up mid use but it doesn’t happen too often. It’s mostly when in an area with minimal wifi. There can also be glitches like the ability to add notes at times.

Check in and out, hour tracker, easy logging, can utilize shift schedules, time off or just keep reference to hours worked the past week, month, or days. Everything from your entire work year is tracked.

When I Work review by Perrsha P.
Perrsha P.

"Easy scheduling "

What do you like best?

Staff can have their schedule in real time, so there no confusion about scheduling

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the admin can only put scheduling out so far in advanced. I beleive it's less than 10 days making it harder to stay ahead

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider allowing customers to put schedules out at least a month in advanced

associates are more engaged in what's going on at work

When I Work review by User in Internet

"Good reliable business software "

What do you like best?

As an employee I love how it makes it easy for me to see my schedule and, more impressively, to swap shifts, drop shifts, and pick up shifts from other team members. For employees who work part time and need hours this is a very valuable service.

What do you dislike?

They could stand to improve their error handling; I had to do a password recovery and it took more than a few days to get resolved. Please note that this might have been my particular workplace's implementation though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software should be strongly considered if you have a large number of hourly employees.

For employees whose schedules vary and who are hourly, and need to drop/add/swap shifts this is great software.

Learning about When I Work?

* We monitor all When I Work reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.