When I Work Reviews & Product Details

When I Work Overview

What is When I Work?

When I Work is an easy way for businesses to schedule, track time and attendance, and communicate with their hourly employees. Put the schedule and time clock in every employee's pocket with free iOS and Android apps. Keep track of time off, employee availability, and manage shift swaps with just a few clicks. Integrate with your payroll provider to streamline the process and avoid human error. Get started with a 14-day free trial now.

When I Work Details

Simple employee scheduling software and online time clock with free scheduling apps and time clock apps. Send mobile alerts to your staff about their shifts.

When I Work is the scheduling solution that employees love and use. They always have their schedule in their pocket and are notified immediately of any changes. They can easily request time off, share availability, and communicate with team members about important shift details.

When I Work
2010
Minneapolis, MN
@wheniwork

When I Work Videos

When I Work Screenshots

When I Work Downloads

Answer a few questions to help the When I Work community
Have you used When I Work before?

When I Work Reviews

Showing 216 When I Work reviews
Already have When I Work?
Business Development
What do you like best?

The when I work app is easy to use and I was able to get started very quickly. Navigating through and the extra help I receive has made this application very user-friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish that reoccurring shifts did not have a 1-year end date. Or another function that would be great as if they automatically defaulted to 365 days later without me having to scroll to the one year mark through the calendar. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My recommendation would be to seek to somebody at when I work . They will be able to walk you through all of the functionalities and help you to tailor this application to exactly what you need. You will quickly see how useful it is and how it can change the way you do your scheduling. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My employees have better access to openshifts, swapping shifts, and leaving me times of unavailability. Previously before there were slips that were filled out that on some occasions were lost or misplaced and the employee would be frustrated that the request was not met. When I work app has solved this! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hey Jenne - Thank you so much for the 5 star review! It's great to hear that our features help save time and that your team is able to manage their schedule and time more with options like OpenShifts, Swapping Shifts and using Availability! We're always open to suggestions and I can see how having an option to repeat indefinitely may be helpful! Thanks for sharing that with us - Adrianne

What do you like best?

The ability to drag and drop shifts from one person to another making life easier! You can copy the previous week schedule to the next week which helps.

Additionally, staff gets notifications to install the app on their phone and through that app they can manage their days off request or days they are unavailable. When schedules are made the staff are made aware instantly when you publish your completed schedule. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

First one of the biggest issues is where to get additional help on topics or features that you are looking for. I had an orientation briefly but that was before using the software. I had questions on features but there's no way of getting live help other than submitting a ticket.

The android app has a few missing features that would greatly help while on the move to make last minute changes to schedules. Additionally, the biggest pet peeve is that I can't click on a name of a staff member and see what they have been scheduled for the week which would be a huge benefit.

There's other features that would help where if you copy the previous week schedule and you wanted to clear it the app would also clear the open shifts as well making you start all over. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The core features save a huge amount of time that was spent using excel or google sheets. It can't do everything you want but maybe 80% of what you need so even that will help with cost savings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Normally the scheduling would take hours when you have over 25+ staff members. We work with over 70+ staff members and the software make it easier to schedule or make changes as needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hello Curtis - Thanks for taking the time to write us a review and share some feedback! It's great to hear our features are helping to save time and make your life easier! Our Customer Care team is available to assist via Live Chat through the green "Need Help" button once you're logged in. Then, we can work with you in the moment and share videos, links or screenshots to assist as well. We'd be happy to look into the missing features for Android with you as well! Feel free to submit a ticket or chat in so we can further assist! Thanks again - Adrianne

What do you like best?

I like know that when I assign a work assignment that the employees have to be at the job site to clock in. The geofencing is going to save the company money for sure. Employees are able to see all hours worked and the team they are working with in any given day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could see all of the schedules at one time. Like an at a glance, we have several differnt job sites, so I really like to see everything on one screen. Other than than When I work is fairly simple to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When I work is an amazing tool for scheduling and labor forcasting, it also assists in employess being responsible for their work days. Obtaing coverage when they are unable to make a shift. It takes the burdon off of the employer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Just knowing that we are getting a handle on actual hours worked. Our previous system allowed employees to write in the time that they thought they worked which was not beneficial to the employee or the company dollar wise. The owner loves having an idea of payroll at the beginning of the pay period. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hey Shannon - Thanks for sharing an awesome 5 star review! It's wonderful to hear that we're able to help with accountability, forecasting and ensuring employees are in the right place to work! Thanks for sharing feedback about seeing all the schedules at once! We're always open to new ideas and suggestions! Thanks again - Adrianne

Team Member/Supervisor
What do you like best?

The ease of adjusting employee start and end times as well as the shift details that can be added are some examples of things I like best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Setting the template and making adjustments for printing the schedule in the most effective way, trying to conserve the amount of paper being used. I also don't like how different the mobile app is from the online platform, making it necessary to wait until I have access to a laptop or computer to complete some work task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use When I work both to check my own schedule as well as to schedule other employees for shifts. We all clock In and Out of our shifts using the WIW app on our phone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Anna R of When I Work

Hi Amber, thank you for taking a moment to leave us a review! It is great to hear that When I Work is a helpful tool for managing your team's shifts and clocking in and out. I can understand how being able to access the same settings across platforms would be helpful, and appreciate this feedback. As always, if you have any additional feedback or questions, please don't hesitate to connect with our Customer Care team at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/. Thank you! -Anna

What do you like best?

This is a user friendly system that allows me to lay a great foundation for my new business to scale as we increase headcount. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Overall the system is pretty good. I personally don't like too much tiered system where I'm teased with "premium" features because I just find workarounds since we are small and can't quite justify the price, but that is just personal preference. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Participate in the webinar they hold regularly, it was helpful to get me up and running sooner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communication with the team is fantastic. It is easy to communicate where they need to be, when they need to be there, and relevant information to the job (I own a residential painting company). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hey there, CJ - Thanks so much for sharing this feedback with 5 stars! It's thrilling to hear that our features, like WorkChat have been helpful and that our webinar was so useful for you! Thanks again - Adrianne

AH
What do you like best?

I like the ease of viewing a day, week or month's schedule. I like how easy it is for staff to request a day off. No more paper copies. I like that you can use the program on the desk top or on your smart phone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A couple things.

1) We have two different groups of staff that work in our department and I have created two separate schedules. Group 1 cannot see the group 2 schedule, and vice versa. It would be nice if they could have a viewing option.

2)Also our staff works the same schedule for the whole year. I had to copy week by week. It would be nice to be able to copy the whole month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The initial set up is the most time consuming. Once that part is complete, the program is very easy to use. If you have any questions, it is easy to reach out the the support group. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Less paper work. My manager used to copy the days off requests and then hand them back to the employees. This eliminates that hassle. Also nice to show the specific hours everyone is working and that we can include nights and weekends on the schedule. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hello! Thanks so much for sharing this feedback with us! It's awesome to hear that eliminating the paper route and making things easier for communicating requests with your entire team has been so helpful! Thanks for sharing some feedback with us on our shortcuts, like copying shifts! We're always open to feedback on how we can improve. In regards to scheduling your team so they can view each others shifts, we're happy to explore options with you! Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist! Again, thanks for sharing a review with us! - Adrianne

AM
What do you like best?

It has made the lives of all our managers so much easier now that staff are responsible for updating their own availability calendars in When I Work. This makes it so much easier to build and publish schedules that only need minimal tweaking after. Saving us lots of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I have with When I work so far is that if I want to change the same item on multiple individuals' shifts at one location (which is one schedule in the tool). It is not intuitive to me how I would do this. So for now I have to change each individual's shift separately. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If staff are constantly giving you updates on their availability to work verbally, over text, email, etc., rather than in the same system that you use to build and publish there schedules then making the move to When I Work will save you lots of time. It also does time attendance and integrates with payroll which is a must for efficiency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Problems solved: staff not giving their availability updates verbally, via text and email, but rather within the scheduling tool itself. It has saved management a ton of time when building the schedules and also in not having to change the schedules nearly as much after they are published to the full team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hello - Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review! We're so happy to hear our options and features are saving you time! It sounds like a bulk edit option for shifts may be helpful! Feedback like this is really helpful for us as we consider changes to the product! Thanks for sharing this with us! - Adrianne

What do you like best?

The ability to organize employees by department and job function. The mobile app is great for quick reference and changes to schedules. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Setup is a little difficult for more complex organizations (multiple departments, job positions, etc.). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When I Work has really helped us create organization, structure, and accountability for our business. It even helped us identify that we needed to hire more people to fill all the positions and shifts necessary to reach our goals! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to ensure that we have adequate coverage for all positions and shifts needed. The OpenShift feature works great and allows for any qualified employee to pick up an extra shift. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hey Justin - Thanks so much for this awesome 5 star review! It's fabulous to hear that our features are helping keep your team accountable and providing insight into your operations, like hiring! If you ever have questions about set up, or managing your teams, we're here to help! Thanks again - Adrianne

What do you like best?

You can put in very specific, complicated, repeated availability and requests off in a way that's minimally invasive to your workplace. It displays shifts and hours worked, giving me super fast access to important data that I need. It's incredibly intuitive to use and uses language that respects employees as individuals while also conveying our duty to our business. The app is effective and polite. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The app has quite an extensive layout where you can put in information about yourself, including contact information or photographs. You can keep it hidden, but it seems like a slightly strange choice or something easy to miss. Because of this, several of my coworkers appear blank and sometimes it can be difficult to tell the day's schedule apart because of this. This is only an issue when looking at the team schedule, not at my own. I've also noticed that, when I change my availability, the app will prioritize older preferences over newer ones, meaning I have to delete my old availability before I can add a new one rather than just change it outright. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When I Work is incredibly useful for branches of large companies or relatively small businesses to compile scheduling materials in one place. If you have an inefficient system now (or none at all), it would definitely be worthwhile to switch to this platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Before using When I Work, my employer was emailing out a table with the week's schedule. All requests or changes in availability had to run directly through management, which created the potential to lose information. Using this external resource gives everyone a much simpler and more intuitive interface for scheduling. It has also created a useful common space for all scheduling concerns, limiting the potential for miscommunications and somewhat formalizing the scheduling process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Timothy O of When I Work

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on our app. We're glad to hear that you've found the app simple to be intuitive and effective!

We appreciate your feedback on the Availability feature. Older preferences would need to be adjusted or deleted if a new preference would create a conflict.

On the issue of profile information, we would be happy to assist your coworkers with filling in their information! We would just ask that they submit a ticket with us here: https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

Please feel free to contact us as well if we can help with anything!

In House Counsel
What do you like best?

The ability to change views to look at the schedule from various viewpoints helps us ensure that the correct managers are scheduled and that each shift has the right number of people per work area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Making changes to the schedule could be easier, but it’s one of the best I’ve found so far. When making lots of changes to a weekly schedule, it’s a pain to have to click to open each individual’s shift to edit or delete it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communication to the entire team about the schedule is so much easier. Pre-Covid, everyone was on a set schedule so changes to the schedule are communicated verbally. Since Covid, we had to rework our entire workforce and shift structure and communicating those changes would’ve been impossible without this software solution. I’m so glad we implemented it when we did! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hi Lyndsey - Thanks for taking some time to share a review with us! It's awesome to hear that our view options have been so helpful! We're always open to feedback, and I can definitely understand how a bulk edit option may be helpful! Thanks again for the awesome review! - Adrianne

What do you like best?

I like the ease of scheduling, saving templates and shifts, staff swaps and requests off. Also, the ability to easily calculate hours and print each weekly schedule. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app has much less functionality than the desktop version. Also, the timezones aren't accurate when we edit each individual shift. it defaults to CST instead of our time zone, EST. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time it takes to schedule. Staff communication. Benefits of team building, see your colleagues, messaging and simple swaps make it easier to manage. Employees have a lot in their hands to control. Booking days off is a breeze with this system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hey Ashley - Thanks for the 5 star review and sharing some feedback with us! It's great to hear that all our features and scheduling shortcuts are making things so easy for you and your team! If there is an issue with the timezones, we're here to help! Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist! Thanks again - Adrianne

What do you like best?

I like the ability to have the same schedule for a long period of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you cannot type into the date for the template to repeat. I think the photo should be available on the android and desktop app as well. Also GPS should an added feature to watch where employees go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

n/a Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My problem is they are still not clocking in correctly in the first place but once it is done correctly I will have an up to date time and able to control overtime more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hello Mark - Thanks so much for taking some time to share a review with us! It's great to hear that you're enjoying features we offer like repeating shifts, and the ability to schedule into the future! We're always open to feedback on how we can improve and suggestions like this are helpful for our team as we consider changes to the product! Thanks again! - Adrianne

Center for Teaching and Learning
What do you like best?

I like that I was able to set a free version initially. During Covid-19 I had to get creative with scheduling and time management for employees . I also had to pick a platform that was budget friendly. I have only used it for scheduling and not the payroll tracker, as we have an internal system that does that. The scheduling was nice. I add their email, they get a link and it is done. It even sends notification of when they are supposed to be there. It also allows them to Clock In, with a couple of variances you can set for accountability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I have not had a negative experience yet. Maybe the amount of emails that they send.... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Remote employee time tracking. Device confirmation when they clock in. Visible schedule to a large group and easy communication between staff and admin. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Timothy O of When I Work

Hello Bridget,

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that When I Work has been helpful as your team navigates the COVID-19 pandemic.

On the topic of email notifications, I would recommend adjusting your Alert Preferences to exclude the types of notifications you do not need. This can help to reduce the number of emails you receive from us. I've linked an article on these preferences to this message.

Please feel free to contact us at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ if we can help with anything!

See how When I Work improved
Owner Amazon DSP
What do you like best?

Ease of scheduling a large team, communication with the team, and user friendliness of the whole site Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the app was a little more robust for the owner. It loses quite a bit of functionality compared to the website Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I save a lot of time with scheduling over using spreadsheets. It also helps and adds to my own business’ professionalism Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hello Brian - Thanks so much for taking the time to share a 5 star review with us, and for the time you've been using When I Work! It's great to hear that we're helping save time during your scheduling processes! We'd love to hear the details around what we could update with the mobile app for you and other managers. Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist! Thanks again - Adrianne

What do you like best?

The online clock and warnings on OT

It replaced an old system and this one meets all our needs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The refresh screen and disconnects from any screen Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Less scheduling questions and conflicts or changes to track Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hi Monique - Thanks so much for this 5 star review! Happy to hear that our options and features meet all your workplace needs! If you, or your team are running into an issue being disconnected, we're here to help! Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist!

Thanks again for the review! - Adrianne

What do you like best?

Almost everything. When I first switched to When I Work, I couldn't believe that such a modern and streamlined way of organizing shifts in a company exists. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't name anything, after living with the old, ask and then fiddle with an excel every week system, everything about When I Work seems dreamlike, even after months of use! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It makes everything about organizing your company so much easier, so please, if you are reading this and not using it yet, switch to it you will be extremely thankful for that! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are manadging our companys shifts and daily schedules with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Timothy O of When I Work

Hi Máté,

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear that our app has helped to reduce the friction caused by your previous 'ask and then fiddle with an Excel every week' system!

Please feel free to contact us at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ if we can help with anything in our software!

All the best,

AH
What do you like best?

The employees' ability to swap shifts, drop shifts, and pick up new shifts! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Having to remember to publish the shifts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Jump in and give it a try. It was way more than I expected. I will not run another staff of student employees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have literally saved hundreds of hours and gazillions of emails as my employees are 18-22 yo and they are often needing to be more agile in their hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hello - Thanks for sharing a 5 star review! It's awesome to hear that our options are saving you time and that our features, like Shift Swaps and Drops are allowing your team more accountability! Thanks again - Adrianne

UR
What do you like best?

I like that I can see the shifts I will be working and whom I will be working with on the main page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I cannot view my hours worked in one pay check period. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using When I Work to view my work schedule. I have realized that you are able to sync the application with your phone calendar to be able to view your schedule there, too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Timothy O of When I Work

Hello,

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear that you have enjoyed the scheduling and calendar syncing features of When I Work!

If your team uses Attendance in When I Work, you can view your worked hours on the Timesheets page. I've linked a helpful article to this message. If we can help with anything else, please feel free to contact us here: https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

See how When I Work improved
Technical Support Specialist
What do you like best?

The customer support is excellent, and the interface is intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like more flexibility around what you can do with job sites, and an easier way to identify different jobsites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I Work allows us a central place to collaborate on scheduling across many job-sites, and the user interface allows for easy visualization and editing of shifts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hi Benjamin - Thanks for taking a moment to share a review with us! It's great to hear that our team has provided you excellent support and that your finding our software intuitive and easy to use! We'd love to chat more about what you're missing from the Job Sites! Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist! Thanks again - Adrianne

What do you like best?

The ease of use and being able to view my current and previous timesheets in real-time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It tends to freeze on iPhone and requires a hard close frequently which can sometimes cause my time to be off by a minute. That is difficult with a job where you earn negative attendance points if you are just one minute late. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try it's the best time management software I've ever used for logging in and out for my shift and for lunch breaks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love not having to manually keep track of my time. It has made my life so much easier keeping track of my hours and lunches than any other system I have previously used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
What do you like best?

The user interface is simple and one thing is oriented, so it is easy to move from the Web site, browser tab or phone app. Adding unpaid free time to the scheduling feature enables us, in general if I job was an excellent tool, to delete unnecessary applications like e-mail. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I couldn't use a working chat because my phone and computer never loaded messages – the software and desktops can be a little sluggish. Aside from that, I like the program pretty much. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This incorporates many methods to produce impressive tracking performance. You will find out about every day where the employee is and what he did. The workers can also add time card information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've always received real-time updates, and every time I contact your customer service, I answer my questions with great diligence from the start. For multi-customer projects I track hours available, break down tasks, and get the best sense of my time. It helps me to see where my time will mean that my money can be invested wisely so that such arrangements will be good for my flat rate retention customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Ability to have multiple locations and sort by location Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would prefer 1 central location to see available shifts (open and dropped) together.

Would like to be able to enter what coverage a site needs and it tell me if there are gaps. For example, I need 4 people 8-5 at a site. But 11-2 I currently only have 3 scheduled. A way for it to tell me there is a gap Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Multiple people across Multiple locations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Adrianne Reiners of When I Work

Hi there - Thanks so much for sharing this feedback with us! I can definitely see how having the ability to view gaps in all your schedules may be helpful in finding coverage and employees to work shifts! It's nice to know that our features are helping with managing your teams in multiple locations! Thanks again for sharing this feedback with us! - Adrianne

Finance Intern