QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews & Product Details

What is QuickBooks Desktop Pro?

QuickBooks helps you organize your business finances all in one place so you can complete your frequent tasks in fewer steps. Easily get set up, learn and use. No accounting knowledge is necessary and you can quickly import your data from a spreadsheet. Easily create invoices and manage expenses. And, QuickBooks ensures you’ll have reliable records for tax time. Have questions? Step-by-step tutorials show you how to create invoices, record expenses and more. Includes a 60 day money-back guarantee.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Screenshots

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Profile Details

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Profile Details

Related Links
Q&A
Intuit
Description
From Intuits flagship products Quicken, QuickBooks & TurboTax to Mint.com, our end-to-end solutions stand as testament to our commitment to revolutionize the way millions of people manage small businesses, payroll, accounting, and personal finance.
1983

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

1-25 of 1314 total Desktop Pro reviews
Most Recent QuickBooks Desktop Pro Video Review
Marjorie Nunes, CEO

"QuickBooks Desktop Pro is Amazing"

What do you like best?

QuickBooks Pro is an amazing app that is great for any business to use. It helps you organize your business finances all in one place so you can be more productive. Simple to set up and use. It is easy to use and helps with keeping up with my daily expenses, as well as helping to do my payroll. I also use it to make a monthly schedule and budget. Unlike other tiered accounting software options, every feature is available from the start.

What do you dislike?

Although a great app to use, QuickBooks Desktop Pro is little expensive. That would really be my only dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Pro to anyone. It is an amazing app.

With QuickBooks Desktop Pro I am solving all of my accounting problems. It is an amazing asset to have in any business and helps me keep on track each month with both payments received and payments made as well as making sure that all bills are paid on time.

HOD Finance

"A great application for Accounting"

What do you like best?

I love QuickBooks because of the easiest and smooth application for the accounting sector, we can easily make invoices like (Tax Invoice, Performa Invoice, and Delivery challan, etc.) a great thing in this software that we can email the invoices to the debtor at the time of invoice generation, it is an online software, so that we can access anywhere our data, also we can reconcile our bank easily.

Upload directly GST data to the GST portal like GSTR-3B, GSTR-1 easily.

What do you dislike?

I think there is nothing for dislike, just only a few things are there like it is an online application, we can't access our data when we are offline, also time taking software if there is low internet connection then it take lots of time to sync the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think it is good for our business growth because there are lots of features which is to help for making a successful business, like company creation, set our logo on their invoice, invoicing, ledger scrutiny, etc.

A fresher person can also understand easily. so that i always recommended it for accounting sector.

In this application, we generated invoices from anywhere with the help of our smartphone and share them with the concerned team, also helpful for payment follow-up, Reminder of its much helpful for growing our business, also we had to reconcile ledger and bank statement easily from its.

Photo Editor

"Great Accounting Softfware for Freelancers"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks has help me organize my transactions and miles for filing my taxes for my photography business. I have a mix of contract incoming and personal income and I am able to keep everything where I need it. Being able to forward email receipts to QB and have them automatically into the system is amazing!

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that there is not the option to categorize some items that wouldn't be on a schedule c but are necessary to determine my estimated tax payments each quarter.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is an option to pay more monthly to have QB file your taxes for you. I personally have another service I use but Quickbooks makes it easy to transfer all of your information. The monthly fee can also be used as a business expense.

All of my transactions are categorized into personal or business and then sub categorized further. It's also more convenient to keep track of miles. Everything is online and ready to copy over come tax time. It also encourages me to stay on top of my expenses and receipts.

Bookkeeper

"Versatile Software for Every Use"

What do you like best?

I love how easy Quickbooks is to customize and integrate with other softwares. As the defacto accounting software pretty much all apps integrate with it which makes the workflow so much easier.

The other thing I love about QB is that transactions can be changed after reconciliation (all while keeping an audit log) So if someone miscategorizes something it can be edited later, unlike other softwares I have used where once you have reconciled no edits can be made (not even to memo or chart of accounts. =)

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if you have multiple companies you can only pull selected reports across all of them. I wish there was more integrations between companies, such as vendor information and chart of accounts. (You can sometimes work around this by Classing transactions for different companies, but certain transactions such as A/R and transfers cannot be effectively classed)

As basically the standard in Accounting I wish that when you were sent an invoice in QB from QB that you could automatically upload the information into the receiving company's file. (obviously then changing the chart of accounts) it would save so much time!

I am keeping a variety of types of businesses' books on Quickbooks (real estate brokerage, retail ice cream and property management company)

Singer/Songwriter/Producer
Music

"Streamlined, Compatible, All-Encompassing Business"

What do you like best?

The ability of Intuit to sync with third-party/proprietary software companies has proven more far-reaching over the years than other platform. It makes our ability to do business more efficient in all areas.

What do you dislike?

There are occasional Payrol errors (PS304 and PS302) that require multiple steps to work-around when trying to install Payroll updates. The fix requires deleting certain payroll entries ("Online to be Sent") and re-entering, which affects past Payroll Taxes, Bank Reconciliations, etc., and therefore requires numerous corrections. So, that is an issue that needs to be addressed within Intuit, so that the work-around does not inhibit totally efficient bookkeeping. But other than that, I have had no issues, and all issues have been solved talking to Support in a timely fashion over the years.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is pretty basic, but make certain you have outlined your Chart of Accounts before setting up if you are incorporating Quickbooks with a third-party software for other services, so that Mapping accounts does not become an issue later on when syncing.

Using Quickbooks solves many business issues, especially considering we also interface with a proprietary software for ordering/receiving/sales outside of Intuit. Intuit has made it very user-friendly to sync and solve many issues related to the outside software as well. When you can identify these issues easily, it makes the proficiency of daily Accounting much more doable.

Accounts Receivable Manager

"Greatest Software Yet "

What do you like best?

It is an all in one, ready to control your entire business, software. You can do everything from the software fast and accurately. There is every report you could possibly think of. There are many extensions that you can connect to QuickBooks to communicate to your other software. It's the best.

What do you dislike?

As much as I love all of the stuff that it can do, it is a lot of stuff to learn and go through. There are too many things to control if you are only using QuickBooks for one or two things. They should have a lite version or specific versions for the one thing you need it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

bUy it. If you have a small business or need to keep track of payments and receipts buy it. It is amazing.

We do invoices mainly from QuickBooks. We have all of our customer accounts and vendors set-up. I can look-up anything quickly and have what I am needing within seconds.

CEO

"A great accounting Software for small businesses"

What do you like best?

Its a double entry accounting software that bundles up strong reporting and features to help small businesses to easily track daily activities in more effective manner to rapidly changing technologies.Good team of developers who are constantly working to adapt and being innovative to changing demand of time.

This software is unique in many ways:

- Clean look, easy to see all a graphic look of your business in a quick easy way.

- Customizable dash control to arrange it what matters to you most

- See your sales, costs, expenses, accounts receivable, accounts payable figures in one place.

What do you dislike?

Feature wise its a really good accounting software, i wish it has more tools regarding customer scheduling with employees for a spa environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a reliable software that can help you keep track of your business finances from every aspect, this is a must software, easy to use.

Keeping track of business finances and reporting on regular basis.

Owner

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro is a powerful accounting solution."

What do you like best?

I have been a Quickbooks Pro Desktop user for over ten years. I have multiple accounts simultaneously in use. My favorite feature of Quickbooks Desktop Pro is the fact that every single transaction is easily recalled. If I need to look up an invoice I paid back in 2006, it is found without a problem. Annual, quarterly, or monthly reports are easy to generate and easy to customize. I am very comfortable with the interface and it has been fairly reliable.

What do you dislike?

Quickbooks Desktop Pro does require you to periodically upgrade to a newer version in order to have access to all of the features. Additionally, the pricing of their payroll services has consistently increased significantly each year, without any additional appreciable benefit.

I have only recently started using the budgeting feature to its full ability. What an awesome tool! It really beats inputting numbers repeatedly into a spread sheet and updating manually. Quickbooks Desktop Pro also has numerous information storage options to help maintain records on individual customers or vendors. It would be possible to keep all company information in this one database.

Financial Operations Manager

"Thorough, easy to use, but somewhat antiquated"

What do you like best?

If you're an accountant, the software is easy to learn and use. I like that data entry is very straight forward, the no nonsense interface and how easy it is to navigate through the comprehensive menu. Downloading and drilldown capabilities are also very powerful.

What do you dislike?

- Visualization of data... is a joke. The graphs are not only monochromatic, they're not dynamic and don't even load as fast as other reports do. Horrible for presenting data to executives.

- Although the audit trail is great, you can still go in and edit previous journal entries. Not as robust control as bigger enterprise-level ERP's.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a small accountant team, QB desktop would be great. If you have a large accountant team, QB desktop is probably too small. If you don't have an accounting team and it's just someone doing the bookkeeping, I would recommend a could-based solution because it'll be easier to use and cost way less.

Bookkeeping, accounting, and the reporting of business performance.

Office Manager

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Using this program has helped to organize the office. Maneuvering around this software is pretty quick to learn. I was even able to learn the software fairly quick. Quick books is by far one of the simplest programs to learn. Also every thing can be fixed, no worries if you make any kind of a mistake! Just go back into the area you goofed up and correct the mistake made, then save it and move on. Nice huh? The name Quick Books is suitable for the software. I would recommend it to anyone for their business accounting software! Affordable and easy to use. Why would you want to use any other accounting software.

What do you dislike?

There really is not much abut the program to dislike, because finding what you need is very user friendly.

I would recommend it to any business that needs a quick solution for their office.

Even the manual that came with the software is understandable for the average person.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A definite plus to have the reports at your fingertips

I simply enter the bills and invoice our customers, the rest takes care of itself. I can then run any report the boss asks for in moments. Saves me time. Plus each report offers a customization box that is self explanatory! Making it very nice to run the report for the right product and with the correct dates all at the click of a mouse.

Vice President

"A great product (for the most part)"

What do you like best?

It is fairly easy software to navigate through, being mostly intuitive.

What do you dislike?

As a small business owner, I like to learn and understand everything pertinent to the task I am completing. There have been days, albeit a few, where I feel like I need an Accounting degree.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A time saver all-in-one product. Don't be shy about taking an intro class at a local community college or an online class. At first, depending on how many tasks you expect QB to be the default program, it can be a very intimidating product.

I would also suggest taking a business class and an accounting class. Just in this survey, alone, I had to google a business term "Estimate your company's ROI on this product (payback period in months)" AND that was the help buttons explanation! Small Businesses like mine don't have the resources to understand corporate speak.

QB helped us in our transition from paper to digital. It streamlines the entire process

Automotive

"Accounting that almost anyone can use"

What do you like best?

I like that if you enter a invoice/payment/service charge you can reverse it with one click. I've entered payments in quick books and realized I can't pay it now, you click delete payment and it's solved. I also love that you can get a snap shot of your expenses and outstanding amount due with a click of the mouse. Very user friendly and easy.

What do you dislike?

Some of the forms are hard to read, It would be easier if the columns were a different color. I think the check journal needs some changing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Quick books pro is easy to navigate. Set up is simple.

I have solved my sales tax issues. I can print out a sales tax due statement at the click of a button and know what is due. With this form you can see how your business is doing with the click of a button (snapshot)

"Small business essential"

What do you like best?

Quickbooks is a lifesaver for my small business. I design layouts, order/sell product, do advertising & bookwork all on my own, and quickbooks desktop makes it easy to keep track of customers & accounting information for tax time.

What do you dislike?

I wish quickbooks desktop had a solution kind of like quickbooks online, like a cloud where I could access my files from my laptop at work & then go home and use it on my home computer. I have tried QBO and I like the desktop program much better. I also wish there was a way of easily creating contracts similar to how you create estimates and invoices.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend finding a local class to learn the program if you are having trouble, it is really a useful and easy program once you learn it.

Previously I was using spreadsheets to create invoices and then saving them to google drive, and often losing them, now I use quickbooks invoices which make them easy to retrieve.

CEO
Telecommunications

"QuickBooks Pro is the only way to go"

What do you like best?

Being an Office Manager, I use all aspects of QuickBooks Pro. I use the reports, I use inventory lists to create my invoices. QuickBooks is easy to use even for the most basic functions.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that unless you are an Enterprise user, you cannot track your inventory in individual units.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Always purchase the Support subscription. There are times when I don't know how to use one of the new features and I can call them and they go over it with me for as long as I need until I completely understand what the new feature is about.

Inventory Control. We use our lists and when we invoice to track the quantities on hand. This helps us by seeing what we have on hand so we don't go and spend money that we can use elsewhere. It really helps with our cash flow.

Research Analyst

"QuickBooks Review"

What do you like best?

Putting in our financial information is extremely simple using QuickBooks. I use this software to input checks send out by our nonprofit as well as to enter deposits that we deposit into the bank. The process is extremely easy. I could not as for a more simple and easy way to put in our financial data.

What do you dislike?

I have not really had any serious issues with QuickBooks. The only thing that I can think of is that it constantly asks you to back up your information, which can be annoying, but I would rather back up the data than have everything get lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend other using QuickBooks to keep track of financial information and data.

We use QuickBooks to keep track of all financial data and information for our nonprofit.

Office Manager

"Great user-friendly option with advanced settings!"

What do you like best?

We love using QB for our business. It's interface is user friendly enough that someone with little experience can navigate it easily, but it contains components complex enough for those requiring detailed reporting and analytics to easily get the information they need fast.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to more easily go from report to report as well as comparing certain reports; this is easily solved if you have a huge desktop but if you are working on a smaller screen it may be a little annoying to go back and forth.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research & make sure you are confident that this is the right solution for your business. There are a lot of great products on the market but we found that this was the best solution for our business based on the cost as well as performance. We felt confident going into our decision. We also recommend making sure adequate training is provided so that the transition & start up of the software goes smoothly. While it is a really easy software to use, there are a few quirks so it's best to make sure those who will be using it regularly take the time to familiarize themselves with the software before diving in and beginning.

All of our accounting problems are solved via this software. We now have easily been able to do payroll, all AR/AP & reporting that the company needs.

Interior Design Consultant
Design

"Quickbooks in the work place "

What do you like best?

I love how organized quickbooks is. I manage a retail interior design showroom and we constantly have new sales quotes we are sending out or payments that we need to record and quickbooks helps us keep this organized.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the login in process to quickbooks. I already have my email and password saved but have to go to another screen to fully login in. I wish there was just one login screen that guys you into your account so it was a little faster of a process.

With quickbooks we are able to keep track of our everyday orders and clients. I love how each client is organized in their own folder with all of their previous orders for our records. Quickbooks has made it easy for us to look up current and previous client orders/purchases. I feel like our overall sales have gone up a lot since we have been using quickbooks.

Bookkeeper
Accounting

"Real, customizable accounting software that's worth the trouble to host on an application server"

What do you like best?

The user interface flexible and customizable--features are available to please the most visual users, but they can easily be closed to suit those of us who are distracted by flashy GUIs and just want to interact with the database.

Menus and features are not weighted by what Intuit thinks the user will want to see, as they are in QBO. This means that it is easier in QB Desktop to find the functionality that you need. It also makes QB Desktop a better tool for beginners, and for teaching beginners.

The Accountant Tools (especially bulk editing of transactions) are great, and more fully featured than they are in QBO. There are a few tweaks that I would make, but I really appreciate QB Desktop's Accountant Tools.

QB Desktop makes it generally easy to tag data on multiple dimensions, which makes it flexible--suitable for accounting and reporting needs from very simple to quite complicated.

If your tagging needs are very complicated, you may be better off doing data entry outside the program and importing it. Luckily, QB Desktop does not limit the kinds of transactions you can import, and the data's underlying mark-up (IIF) is publicly well documented, open to all users, and fairly easy to learn and use. (All of these are advantages over QBO.)

QB Desktop's Advanced Search feature is one of my favorite things. It allows you to search on dozens of parameters without first narrowing what kind of transaction you wish to search. The flexibility of such a search is obviously valuable, and it also supports multiple use styles; you don't have to think about how another user might have entered a transaction, or who that user might have been. You just enter your parameter, and the database turns up everything that fits. (For this reason, plus a few other minor restrictions that QBO imposes on searches, the search capabilities of QB Desktop are clearly superior to those of QBO.)

The program is rarely slow to respond or laggy.

What do you dislike?

Multiuser access is costly. Online access requires hosting on an application server, which can be expensive; it can also be complicated, which is a turn-off to unsupported/casual users.

The bank-transaction import/matching feature is a little lacking; it doesn't learn rules quickly and isn't very flexible. If you're quick at data entry and/or your data tagging needs are complicated, you may just decide never to use it.

Repairing bank reconciliations that have been thrown off by changes or deletions is more difficult than it is in QBO. Would love to see the QBO feature that shows you what went wrong and offers you a way to fix it without undoing and redoing everything implemented here.

The audit trail is a little less functional in QB Desktop than it is in QBO.

Lacks a real inventory (costing) system, though third-party solutions are available.

Lacks the ability to store percentages by which costs need to be allocated; this means that you're better off doing complicated allocation data entry outside the program and then importing it; it also hobbles the program for allocated budgeting and forecasting.

Lacks safeguards against importing the same data multiple times.

From a database perspective, the Name field is poorly defined, which can be a problem if you need to report on multiple dimensions (I've run into this problem particularly with non-profits that need very detailed reporting).

When QB Desktop crashes, it crashes hard, but support is generally very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

QB Desktop suits a wide range of bookkeeping needs, from simple to relatively complicated, and it is very flexible and customizable.

It also allows you to implement DIY solutions, especially to data tagging, manipulation, and import needs, without the need to rely on (and pay) third-party vendors.

If you have little to no bookkeeping knowledge, or are training/working with someone who lacks that knowledge, I far prefer QB Desktop to QBO.

QB Desktop is worth the trouble and cost of licensing multiple users and using an application server for online access.

QB Desktop is an all-around solid piece of accounting software.

Part of my business is teaching clients to work on and understand their own books. QB Desktop is great for this, especially when compared to QBO. (QBO's design and wording favor cash accounting, which is not appropriate for most businesses, but which is intuitive to those with no bookkeeping knowledge; this makes it a difficult tool to use to teach beginners.)

(Myself Only)

"New user - hooked"

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to worry about tracking my business expenses. I always have my phone on me so QuickBooks is ALWAYS available. It's intuitive, and as a new business owner, it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Since opening my business, filing my taxes has been on my mind. I've contemplated hiring a CPA but for now, QuickBooks is a great place to understand my expenses.

What do you dislike?

Not quite sure how to also track incoming money. It would be great to have the option to create P/L sheets and understand how much money my business is making.

Tracking my expense (getting ready for my first tax season as a business owner!).

"Love Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

I love that it us user friendly. I was taking accounting courses as I began learning the software and it really helped me to know the ins and outs of bookkeeping. It does everything we need.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is every time I update Quickbooks it messes the connection to our time keeping software. However, the issue might just be with the time keeping software.

Sometimes, when I send paystubs it glitches and sends the wrong paystubs out, I am not sure if this is a problem with our email exchange however.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Pro to anyone in need of accounting software, because QuickBooks has been around for so long and it's updated so frequently, I am not sure if there is any software that has its capabilities. I have contacted QuickBooks for help a few times and they are always quick and efficient to fix my problems. If I ever run my own company, which I hope I do, I will purchase Quickbooks in a heartbeat.

We use Quickbooks for everything: payroll, benefits tracking, expenses, AR, AP, and all of our reporting.

Owner, photographer
Consumer Services

"Lifesaver"

What do you like best?

Expense tracking! It helps keep track of those small expenses that really add up. That, in turn, helps us make decisions for the best use of our capital. It makes answering questions about our financial situation so much easier to do with absolute comfort - I know that the answers I am providing are correct and will assist in making purchasing decisions. The reports also are essential in attaining financing from outside sources, and they compile themselves!

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike QBP!! It's a great way to avoid hiring an accountant if you have even the most limited grasp of computes and the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend buying this program to anyone looking to easily keep track of their business financials - it would be helpful to anyone who needs to know where their money is going.

Expense tracking, balance sheets, profit & loss statements - everything that we need to properly keep track of our business - not just the human aspects of running a bar, but the nuts & bolts behind it.

Software Development Engineer

"Quick books is the leading accounting software for the small business. "

What do you like best?

Quick books is the leading accounting software for small business and it can allow us to manage our business at anywhere and at anytime. Through this software we can instant access to customer and employees information. This software has the ability to track our finances which allow us to identify our business’s cash flow and in this way we can run better our business in a more efficient way. We use this efficient software to manage all of our data, manage salary and vendor payments , create invoices and receipts. Hence this software is great for operating the business.

What do you dislike?

Quick book is the best leading accounting software for the small business. But one thing that I don’t like about this software is that it does not allow us to enter the payrolls number without paying through the Quickbooks software. It should improve the inventory management if her inventory management should be better then it can better manage our accounts in a more efficient way. Moreover it is more expensive rather than the other software.

Quick books software is the best leading accounting software for the small business. I most like about this software is that it has amazing customer services. I can easily customise my reports to get exactly what I want. Hence my experience with this efficient software is great.

Customer Service Representative

"Quickbooks makes my life so much easier. "

What do you like best?

Quickbooks can help us in better running our businesses. This software have superb features because we can easily track our expenses, better manage our payments and easily create invoices. Hence it is the best software that can easily manage our business finances. The one thing that I most like about this software is that Quickbooks save our time when we managing our accounting problems. Moreover this software helped us for tracking and billing the expenses in a more efficient way. It can easily analyse our data at anywhere and at anytime. This software is very reliable because the reporting information gives us a lot of information. But to conclude that this software is great for operating the business.

What do you dislike?

This software was too expensive rather then the other software. Sometimes accounts are not updated because Quickbooks software will be hang up without any reason. Thee another problem that you face while using this software is that if you have multiple bank accounts then the reports are not always to easiest to pull.

I liked this software because it is helpful for me to tracking of all my incomes and expenses at every year. It always make my accounting work more easier. I can better manage my accounts with the help of this software. I recommended this software to everyone because this software is great for operating the business.

Director Of Operations

"Accounting necessity meets user friendly interface!"

What do you like best?

Everything is laid out fairly easily to navigate to. The "home" screen has all the basics you'll need. For the more involved options, you can browse through the menus up top. Multiple users can be in using the system at the same time without worry that something will be overwritten.

What do you dislike?

How long it takes to load everything initially and how much resources it takes to process the overall program. Also hate that after you save and close the program, there are still instances of the program in the background running and taking up resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have the file based on a server rather than a local computer to quickly access the file. Beware of network complications.

Accounting needs from AP/AR to banking and reports.

"Easy accounting with access to help"

What do you like best?

I like that the desktop version allows me to continue using without constant renewal (annual subscription).

What do you dislike?

That the inactive accounts still show up on my budget reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is a great way to keep your business on track. While I don't have experience with other programs similar to QuickBooks, as in for comparison purposes, I am able to say that I picked up how to use it pretty quick. Their support is knowledgeable and helpful. They can remote in if you're not able to get the answer you're looking for. All of the reports and budgets that we have created, using QuickBooks, has helped streamline, organize, and condense our workload and efficiency. If you're worried about the learning curve, I highly suggest the additional support they offer.

Having up to date budgets and budget vs actual instead of using a manual software where human error can occur. Running reports to have overall transparency and greater forecasting abilities.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Pricing

8.2
Ease of Setup
Average: 7.4*
* Accounting Category
Do you work for Desktop Pro?

QuickBooks Desktop Pro Comparisons