Missive Reviews & Product Details

Missive Overview

What is Missive?

Missive was launched in 2015 from Quebec City, Canada. It is currently composed of 3 co-founders and 2 employees. Missive is an app that brings team inboxes and chat under a single roof. It was built with collaboration in mind to centralize your team's communication. Among its many features, Missive offers four key ones: - Team Inboxes. - Internal Team Chat. - Rules to automate workflows. - Integrations.

Missive Details

Missive is a team collaboration app for emails and chat, each email thread becomes a conversation and then invite colleagues, chat in this conversation and even live edit an email draft together.

Missive

Missive Reviews

Showing 6 Missive reviews
Already have Missive?
Founder & CEO
What do you like best?

• Price point is ⅓ that of apps like Front

• Rules

• Canned messages with dynamic custom fields

• Real-time drafting for collaboration

• Excellent rich text editor Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

• Recent removal of "Read Receipts"

• No native calendar

• No calendar integrations with popular calendars like Gmail, Outlook, etc.

• No native contact management syncing (e.g. with Gmail) — must be done with a paid third party app

• Activity feature is a cluttered mess

• Cannot sort/group by sender

• Chat is inline

• Activity menu is not viewable by email thread (only via Activity inbox) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have the budget, I'd go for something like Front. If you want to be able to manage your inbox by sender then use something like Spike. Missive has a great price point but a small team — so development can take a bit for things. If you want basic features available in most platforms like this (e.g. a calendar and synced contacts) then Missve is not the tool I'd recommend. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Team communication + shared inbox management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

International Program Coordinator
What do you like best?

When our team first started using Missive, it solved our immediate problem: letting two staff share an email address. Since that time, Missive has become feature-rich, adding things like:

- automatic assignment of incoming messages

- teams and team inboxes

- see when a colleague is typing

- merged conversations

- Facebook Messenger, Twitter, and Twilio SMS messaging

- very powerful email and conversation handling based on complex rules (for incoming messages, outgoing messages, and even actions like labels or comments)

- out of office handling of email assignments

- responses

- configurable snoozes

- webhook actions

- a public API (for both messages and contacts)

- custom integrations

- contacts management

Missive has a lot to offer, even for handling personal email or a sole proprietor. However, it changes gears once you add a teammate, and the more colleagues you have, the more time it saves. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say there are any downsides to using Missive, as there's nothing it does that could be done better directly in Gmail. I would say that one feature that is lacking is being able to search for text in a conversation and be brought directly to the text (Missive just shows the messages containing that text). I have some conversations that are many years old with thousands of lines of text, so just being told that a search string is in that conversation does me no good. I want to be brought to the text (like how Find works in my browser) and be able to reply to it in some way (i.e., my reply should reference that line somehow). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For anyone considering Missive, they have smartly offered a free version of the program with limited email history. The real benefit of Missive comes from the paid plans, including rules, integrations, and the API. Compared to all of Missive's competitors I've looked at who have similar capabilities, Missive is priced extremely well. I would recommend Missive to all but the most cash-strapped of teams, and even then—find some other cost to cut and give Missive a try. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We first started using Missive when we needed two staff to share a Gmail account. We started trials with some other companies but they either didn't fit our needs or were far too expensive for us. We came across Missive and they were very helpful getting us set up.

That was over two years ago now. Over that time, we've watched Missive improve and add features every week to 10 days (I've included as many as I can think of in the "What do you like best" section above). Bugs, though rare, are handled immediately and are often patched before I even download the first update. Our entire department now uses the program and I honestly can't imagine having to go back to the Gmail interface. Emails between staff are cut down dramatically, as rather than emailing a colleague I can just tag or message them. If I get an email that would be better done by a colleague, it's two clicks to assign it to them. If a colleague is working on a draft email and wants my feedback, we don't need to forward it back and forth—she just tags me in and we can work on the draft together. If a message has gone unanswered for too long, I can set a simple rule to notify me. If I want to save a bunch of emails that are relevant together, I can add them all to a conversation and access any of them with a click.

This question asked what problems I'm solving with Missive. All I have to do is open my Gmail interface and try to work from there to realize that I would be lost without Missive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Missive helps my team and I stay focused. Keeping us from flipping screens helps us get things done. Missive delivers on this front with it's basic philosophy about asynchronous communication.

We used a another ticketing program for a number of years. It worked well for internal communication and keeping on top of our client communications. But, we found that adding "notes" to those tickets and passing them back and forth started to feel slow. We wanted our clients to always feel that we were quick to respond. Therefore, we got in the habit of Slacking tickets to each other for more immediate feedback. While effective, we realized that each interruption in Slack killed the "flow" of the receiving person's workday.

We're an agency. Many of our emails are quick and transactional in nature. Missive allows us to stay focused on the task at hand then as soon as we swing to another "task" we're able to give feedback to other team members on one of their emails. The Missive way of doing things feels so fluid ... it's like dancing (well!).

Our other ticketing tool also did not handle our personal email accounts. This meant that we were in and out of a couple of Google accounts, a ticketing system, and Slack. Missive combines all of that into one single UI.

I also like that Missive doesn't parse the emails. Rather, it's using IMAP to render the messages. We've had issues with missing information in emails sent to us from clients because of inherent issues with parsing the content. This is a much better way.

We have different clients who need to be managed by different team members. We also have a number of other rules for sharing/assigning emails. The rich rule-set allowed by Missive is hugely customizable and very powerful. This keeps us working at our best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like any software, the more powerful it is, the more confusing things can become. Missive has a LOT of options. Some of the options need to be managed for each user while other options are managed by the account holder. Our distributed office had to do some screen-shares to help get everyone's settings correct. Change is hard ... not sure that I can be too tough on Missive for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Missive succeeds for us because it not only keeps us focused, but also allows us dynamic internal communication. The better we communicate internally, the better we're able to take care of our clients and their needs. It's win-win for all of us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Developer
What do you like best?

Its ease of use. Feels, looks and acts like regular email - which we prefer. We were working with another platform prior that supported shared email, but acted more like a IT ticketing system. We needed something that organized and cataloged all emails in the same fashion as regular email. They also have rule engines built in for dispatching, snoozing and responding to emails automatically. Collision detection to avoid email conflicts and a lot more. Their feature list is surprisingly rich. The Missive platform is also consistently being updated with new features. Their team really listens to customers feature requests and needs. They even publicly have a scrum board online to submit features requests, vote and see what is being planned and baked in - Impressed. Almost forgot tech support. For being a small company they answer your technical issue within the hour and are surprisingly responsive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At the moment have our Office 365 email tied to Missive as they require an IMAP type email. Lately, our email has been disconnecting from missive saying our Office 365 credentials have changed even though they haven't. After a few minutes it reconnects. This has been brought up and I am confident it will be corrected. Also the adding tags is a great feature, but not as visual recognized like they should be (bigger icon). The ability to add tags to an email requires manually finding it in a pop-up menu. This should have a search feature to make it quicker to locate and add a tag. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's an excellent tool and suits our needs perfectly fine. Our team size is over 10 employees with different responsibilities when it comes to business management within Missive. If you operate in groups and share email boxes this is a great platform worth considering. Plus the price is below the competition. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our biggest issue is handling general email boxes between a handful of customer service representatives. We needed a way to manage these emails, assign them, review and collaborate on them. Missive does a great job of recognizing these pain point in shared email boxes and already had them plus more feature baked into the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co - Founder
What do you like best?

What I love the best about Missive the beautiful, clean UI, and the integrations. I also like that Missive is available in most platforms that I use, this includes iOS, Mac, Android. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is there is no web version available. I also dislike that Missive does not have an flexible integrations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Missive is a great software that has options to add twitter and automatic response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having a cheap option of email client and have access to other emails as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UU
What do you like best?

Love that this program allows me and my colleagues to work off of one email account along with our personal work accounts attached. Great for groups to work off of one project together or more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No chat, everything is similar to text or email. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Able to keep in touch rather than emailing or calling on the phone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Missive?