Mixpanel

Mixpanel helps businesses deeply understand user behavior and drive intelligent action with the leading user analytics solution.

Work for Mixpanel?

Learning about Mixpanel?

Mixpanel Reviews

Ask Mixpanel a Question
Showing 240 Mixpanel reviews
Timothy T.

"Good for general behavior analysis and understanding usage patterns."

What do you like best?

I like that can create any type of funnel and follow it, and also see the performance breakdown of the funnel by different groups, for example, by age or by country. It's great that this program works in almost real time. In addition, it is excellent for tracking any type of event in your application or website, as well as for sending user properties. Extremely flexible, since you can send custom attributes and messages, which can then be used to divide and cut the data as you wish.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that it is limited to the functionality provided by a third-party library, even though the functional list is very good; You probably need to import the data and create your own visualizations. Something that I find very overwhelming are the duplicate data. Not all, but if some of the events that are transmitted to Mixpanel are stored several times, causing inflated numbers. And as a contribution you should definitely add a page of the main panel to organize the saved reports, it would help a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The tool is very suitable for e-commerce platforms. Mixpanel is well adapted to monitor website visitors and segmentation based on particular events; It helps to capture the activities of the visitors and presents the data in a very clean.

At Intechnic we use it to evaluate the adoption of product features and to understand user flows. In addition it is necessary to see the behavior of users in different web pages. Additionally, we manipulate the platform to obtain automated reports and use them for presentations and strategy planning.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Mixpanel
Nick D.

"Great insights, easy to create complex analysis, easy to integrate"

What do you like best?

Interface is overall very easy to use and get started with. It does a very good job of supporting some advanced analysis without making the interface overly complex. Cohort analysis is very good.

Very easy to integrate with.

What do you dislike?

Ability to trigger messages is useful for some use cases but it is somewhat limited. This is not a big problem if it is primarily used for analysis, which is the key strength.

Anomaly detection looks promising but it is still very limited. It would be great to have some configurability around this and in particular it would be extremely useful to generate alerts to external systems.

It is sometimes difficult to navigate and find things.

User login roles and permissions were very limited until very recently.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend primarily considering it for analysis and optimization, and not relying too much on some of the secondary features.

Primarily used for mobile app analytics and funnel optimization. It has been a great tool to understand user behavior for new features and to monitor when behaviors deviate from expected patterns.

What Product Analytics solution do you use?

Chushul S.

"Mixpanel is good but expensive"

What do you like best?

Fast UI, Easy ability to create Funnels, Retention etc. I would recommend it to everybody.

What do you dislike?

The pricing, also the UI hangs sometimes. Similarly the data is consistent, API is bad ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Commit to a Data Driven Solution

User Journey, App Analytics etc ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . . . ,. ..... . . . . . . . . . . .

Sydney E.

"Decent Product, Amazing Customer Service"

What do you like best?

I love using Mixpanel, I use it to send notifications to our app users on a weekly basis. Mixpanel makes it really easy to segment and target different groups which I really appreciate because it makes my job a whole lot easier. Their customer service has been what I'm most impressed with. If the representative doesn't know the answer they will put in the work to make sure that you get the answer you're looking for, or submit a request to improve their product for you.

What do you dislike?

One thing I really wish is that Mixpanel would create a feature where you could target users within a specific amount of hours, rather than days. We send our users notifications based on their activity specific to that week and their goals. However, by setting 1 day ago or 2 day ago or x days ago notifications to go out at 9AM, it will only pull from 2 days ago starting at 9AM, but peoples activity counts starting at 12AM so the ways it's st, just doesn't hit all of our users or give us the accuracy we need to target our users this way. Anyways, despite this issue, we've enjoyed mixpanel and they've been so good with us over support working through this with us and submitting requests to their team.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Love mixpanel, just realize that it does have its limitations like any product. If you're confused about anything- which is highly possible if you're not a programmer or something (I am not and have had to ask for help from our team getting things connected), but Mixpanel support is also a great resource and they will take the time and energy to get you to a spot where you feel comfortable using their product.

Solving the issue of targeting and reminding our users to workout through the week. It allows us to personalize our notifications to their specific activity, or specific groups and challenges they're in within our app- which has been revolutionary.

Alex P.

"System is advanced"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface, it's pleasant.

I like the constant updates and willingness to improve.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty to validate the accuracy of mixpanel. I suspect that some events are missed but it's very difficult to debug. Also, some users don't have all the proper parameters and I couldn't figure out why.

Lack of proper action items - I usually don't feel I know what to do with all the data.

Some metrics or tools in mixpanel are hard to understand, so I don't use most of them. For example, it is very difficult to understand for me the retention tab. Not sure what kind of retention is actually being measured.

Mobile app is very limited - missing the explore function for example

Difficulty to set up marketing channel attribution

I am trying to measure appropriately our KPI's and keep track of our users.

I managed to keep track of simple metrics around traction but couldn't wrap my head around more deeper insights and metrics

Omer S.

"easy to use"

What do you like best?

easy to use, easy to implement, CS is very professional

What do you dislike?

1. some standard feature that im use to use in analytic tools densest exist in mixpanel for example - frequency use use

2. people events vs usage event - for example i cannot send message to customers that did more than 10 searches in the past week

3. cohort distribution - i cannot ask a simple question such as what is the age distribution of my customers and cross it with usage

4. CS - email -> chat

5. sending email messages - doesnt work well

Recommendations to others considering the product:

integrate the people events with usage event to enable a better analysis for example i cannot send message to customers that did more than 10 searches in the past week

4. CS - move to chat rather emails

5. sending email messages feature - doesnt work well, customers doest getting emails

analyzing cusotmer usage

comunicate with them via in app, push, email

making bussins decition

affect our roadmap

Reza D.

"Mixpanel is great when you are a pro at using it"

What do you like best?

funnel reports, live view, and access to support team via chat

What do you dislike?

for the most part, support is able to assist with questions. Sometimes however I wish there was more attention put on resolving specific issues and better follow-up. recently we have faced an issue where it looks like people profiles are either not being created or are disappearing. We have not had luck with this issue and I've inquired a few times for a follow-up or escalation. Recently my CTO reached out with a question and simply received a 'sorry we couldn't help'. Would love to know what else can be done to help in this case.

Sometimes we get null datasets for customers and this is frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

there is some critical knowledge we wish was emphasized earlier in the process as a warning. Whenever backfilling customer data, the geography of the customer in the people profile will update to the location of our servers. We did a bulk update for all customers to use a different field for email address, and it updated all of our profiles to look like they came from Ashford Virginia, which is where our servers are located. This was a costly mistake and permanent; there was no way that we know of to recover the geo and reverse this change. Later we learned that this happens unless the user takes special precautions. I believe this mixpanel should proactively avoid this unintended consequence of backfilling data, rather than making users take extra steps to prevent it. At the very least, provide ample warnings.

we are understanding where drop-off occur, and able to prioritize where we need to invest resources to solve particular stages of friction in our funnel. This has helped us to devise experiments and measure the net effects and improve conversion rates across our onboarding process.

Travisse H.

"Solid usage tracking tool "

What do you like best?

Flexible, pre-built reports. The organization quickly becomes addicted to the insight.

Also, as long as you're pumping a lot of data and know the reports you can answer just about any question very quickly.

What do you dislike?

Takes a while to learn how to use but they're getting better at this. Not sure if this is a super solvable problem for a reports based product. Also, I wish they made it an easier or more forceful part of the implementation process to define things properly for DAU, MAU, etc.

Also a little pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Solid tool. I've heard Amplitude is cheaper but Mixpanel has been great to work with and has continually made solid improvements to the product.

Help me know what features are being used. Help me know my DAU's and MAU's. Help me find my magic metrics to increase retention or conversion. Help me message to customers based on usage criteria (they're still weak here).

Daniel C.

"Helps me to find gaps in my business"

What do you like best?

What I like most is to compare the data that mixpannel shows me from our basis and the macro analyses from the market. I can filter from region, profession, gender, age, etc. It allows me to make decisions based on this.

What do you dislike?

To be honest until now I have nothing to complain. Sometimes I don't know how to get into filters that my questions requires, but It is just matter of time to get a solution. The channel at youtube really helps to learn how to use it and what kind of different solutions you have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I could find some gaps between our basis and the market. I could decide what kind of strategy to reach the customers that I really should based on this analyses. The benefits was a right direction to supply our gap.

Luifer M.

""Decent platform for web and mobile analytics""

What do you like best?

Mixpanel allows us to see very detailed information about web and mobile users, such as location, devices, channels and many more.

Mobile analytics is very good, accurate and detailed.

Real-time knowledge about users is very useful.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not easy to use.

The security of the platform may need some work.

Sometimes it works slower than usual.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very suitable for companies that want to analyze the users of their mobile applications, since the mobile analysis function of Mixpanel is quite good. In addition, very suitable for small and medium organizations. I'm not sure if the tool is suitable for companies, since the software sometimes works slowly, even when we do not process a large amount of data.

Our marketing department uses the Mixpanel platform, but some specialists and managers from other departments, such as security specialists and data analysts, also use Mixpanel for different purposes. Mixpanel helps us to understand the users, channels, locations and devices from which users visit our website and our mobile application.

enrique b.

" "System is advanced" "

4. CS - email -> chat

5. sending email messages - doesnt work well

Kim F.

"Very easy to navigate and extract your personal and business data."

What do you like best?

Registering was too easy and the free level is very generous. The integration of segments worked perfectly for us. Mixpanel is the best application to configure analytics for SaaS applications. It has an incredible ability to send messages and emails without any limitation. It has a very secure platform to maintain data security. It also has many variables available to store and track.

What do you dislike?

You will need a software developer to implement Mixpanel in your application or website since it is not something that you can easily configure. It is so sophisticated and advanced that it can be difficult to know where or how to start. I wish it were easier to implement your own data in the user profiles and events there. You can not collaborate within teams either. The user experience of email should be reinvented and made much more intuitive to match the incredible user experience of the entire application.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mixpanel allows you to track each client on your platform and address them as you wish. You can also have some ideas and run campaigns with a very precise and effective orientation. I liked the feature that can track the duration of the interaction. The integration is quite simple, the control panel is nice. Flows and funnels are key to better understand how people use our site and what paths they take to complete various tasks that we could make easier for them. But if you are looking for a "simple" marketing platform, this is not for you.

Mixpanel is a clean and accurate analysis tool that our team has used. Mixpanel gives you the data you need in a digestible format and allows you to make quick decisions. It helped us to manage momentum and DEM, which allows us to perform a / b tests and improve the performance of our instruments. By being on the Marketing team, I appreciate the reports we receive, they really provide a deeper understanding of what our customers really do with our product. Although it is an easy tool and it helped us a lot, we could not continue using it since it stopped giving us the results we wanted and it lowered our business quality.

Hemant M.

"Tool to know and track peoples behavior on our website"

What do you like best?

Mixpanel helps us to know our website visitors and this information is useful for us to improve our website as per visitors behavior.

It is little similar to google analytics but in mixpanel we can customize our tracking events based on our own requirement.

Mixpanel has almost all features and algorithms which are needed for analytics and visitor tracing needs for websites.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far but we can expect a good improvement in prospect of tool enhancement. Also remember, its little expensive not free like google analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Yes, in case want to understand your web-visitors in good way. But before going remember its not free software.

We use mixpanel to capture our visitors activities on our website and based on that activities we modify or add features to we website so we can know that what visitors/customers like the most on our website.

Its better then google analytics in customization point of views.

Vinit K.

"Does not find as much secure to store the real-time information of users"

What do you like best?

Extremely helpful for Tracking and Storage of real-time data for my web application. Secondly having easy steps for implementation in web applications and have a mix panel library in asp.net also

What do you dislike?

Doesn; 't have the data export API for Asp.Net or in using javascript. I am working on a web application in Asp.net and having trouble in the exportation of data from mix panel I have done this through php data export API that makes the performance bit slow and also there no information provided to secure the API token that we use to create a connection between mix panel and web application

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I will surely recommend if they work on the security

Extremely helpful in Tracking activities and storing the information of users in my web application

Neel D.

"Awesome out of the box analytics product"

What do you like best?

Extremely flexible. Once you track the necessary events and attributes that you want, the platform is super robust and flexible to let you create reports and funnels to really understand how your users are using the platform. It's become a staple in our monthly product summaries.

What do you dislike?

A lot of the premium features are paid and it gets expensive quick. It's not bad, just something to consider.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hook it up to Segment and give it a spin.

We are able to identify what parts of the product are being used, what's not being used, and where we might want to put more of our efforts towards.

Agata J.

"My expirience with Mixpanel"

What do you like best?

The platform allows to track all activity that is happening on our website. It is especially helpful for funnel tracking as I can see on what stage of their the sign up process the particular group of users are and adjust our user acquisition strategy. A/B testing is also good, I'd say it's even better than in Google Analitycs.

What do you dislike?

Mixpanel is a great tool, but it still has some cons. Reports are very quick to get, but they are not visual enough and sometimes there are some missing or incorrect data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mixpanel is a pretty powerful tool, but it is better to use as an addition to Google Analytics, as GA has more accurate data and clear reports.

Website analytics, A/B testing, users behavior tracking, improving sales funnel, getting insights on how to improve our website and landing pages.

Rich W.

"Excellent experience for early stage companies, grown out of it due to lack of flexibility"

What do you like best?

The api libraries are fantastic, very easy to implement and get up and running. Funnels are a great way to view conversion rates through steppers / pages. Docs are very good. Easy for non technical members of the team to use and start creating their own charts. Easy to navigate and excellent ux. Collects a lot of user data by default and ip and location is very useful.

What do you dislike?

Lack of flexibility in terms of bringing in other datasources which has forced us to move towards a total data warehouse solution. Ad blocker removes ~5 % of client side events which means you have to be clever comparing server side to client side. No original react native libraries, although plenty of external wrappers available. Could be more accurate collecting initial referrer, also could be better ways to explore your user base. New common journey tracking features would be a great addition.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use mixpanel at the beginning as it is super easy and quick, but long term it gets very expensive and you will switch to a more complete data warehouse. We've started to move to a redshift data base with mode on top, which is less usable by non technical team members but allows you to pool all of your data sources into one place.

Front end and server side event based tracking. Use node.js and javascript libraries as well as react native wrappers for the native ios and android libraries

Pascal B.

"Flexible event-based analytics"

What do you like best?

Tracking the events that matter to our product, loaded with all the meta-data we can think of to allow for in-depth and insightful analysis of users interactions with our platform.

What do you dislike?

As a startup, our product changes quickly and the metrics and properties we want to track with it. The tracking framework (naming, convention, properties) sometimes becomes obsolete and we need to change it, but then, it makes backward analysis very complicated. It would be great to have a solution in Mixpanel to ensure the transition and compatibility when changing the way we track events.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great tool! Make sure you really have a well-thought plan about what you will need to track in the future and respect a clear naming convention for your events and properties from the start.

We're a data-driven and product-focused team, and Mixpanel helps us better understand how our users interact with our service. It's essential for us to be able to improve on our current service constantly.

Andrés Francisco B.

"Excellent, any analytic question can be answered with mixpanel"

What do you like best?

In Mixpanel, I am able to have in detail information about user profiles, so I can not only track but even react to certain user actions. Implementation is very easy, no matter if it is backend or frontend, the documentation is comprehensive.

Funnel creation is another great feature we use to improve user flow throughout the app.

What do you dislike?

There is not an easy option to delete user profiles. There is not an easy way to clean events history so you might end up messing up a project, so it is recommended that you have a tracking plan before passing to the production project.

Frontend implementation has certain disadvantages when identifying users, we are focused on B2B, so when two users use the same device you might experience troubles with profile information, which might end up being mixed for two users.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Document your tracking plan to have a clear implementation

Monitoring user actions to automate follow up to users. Mixpanel let us track in detail user progress in the app, so we can automate triggers upon user behavior without making internal software development, a tracking solution ready to use.

"Mixpanel is the best analytics product on the market"

What do you like best?

I've tried several other products in this space and mixpanel is one of the best. While the UI is kind of stale, it ends up being one of the easiest to use and most valuable tools in our workflow. Internally, everyone from product managers to engineers can quickly glance at data and get an intuitive understanding of how a feature is doing.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more work on the UI. It feels like it's kind of stale and even though there have been some recent updates, I think they could do a lot more to simplify it and makes it clear whats going on. Also segmenting by users.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Evaluate all the other competitors based on their ability to segment on users. Mixpanel has had issues with this over the years and in the mobile space I'd say this is one of the best features available. Based on your product, this may be a deal breaker for you or your team.

We are a consumer app product. Mixpanel provides us direct insight into what our users are doing and allows us to watch them move through several funnels for features. It also helps us decide on what's working feature-wise in our product.

Gabor D.

"Powerful"

What do you like best?

Mixpanel is very simple to use and gets me the data I want quickly and in a fairly easy to analyze format. This specific allows me to perform information for meetings and also to determine ROI on various marketing activities. Also the built in functionality is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Customer service could be a little better. It will be great in order to have a live conversation or phone number instead you need to send good email and wait for reply. However, responses are often quite quick. I'd also really like to be able to get some statistics a lot more easily - recently was trying to notice the most common device accessing our app that was hard. Furthermore spending some time of least weighty use on a day time| or week was difficult and that might be due to the way we report our events, but this seems like that should become easier to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The longer you spend thinking regarding what information you would like and how you would like to view it, the much better your setup is going to be. Right after getting the right set up, the tool became a lot more useful.

Tracking user usage of features. We use MixPanel data to determine what needs to me updated, what buttons should be moved, etc...

Jourdan B.

"Insightful but difficult to maintain reliably"

What do you like best?

The ability to get quick snapshots of the current state things are in. It is easy to create dashboards that reference the information that is important to me.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how difficult it can be to uncover problem in the data. Sometime an even is implemented incorrectly or data is exported differently than I expected. It can be difficult to 1)identify that the data is inaccurate or not what I thought and 2) find a way to resolve it

We are primarily using Mixpanel to assess usability. We often reference the data when we are making US decisions and decided how to prioritize out work.

Petr B.

"All-in-one analytics tool"

What do you like best?

- Works across web, mobile, and other platforms

- Easy to set up events and funnels

- People profiles with the ability to directly email them or send a push notification to a target user or group

What do you dislike?

- Steep pricing for the people module if you are a B2C company. A lot of people who sign up will never use the product so we need to periodically clean them up.

- At the same time, no grouping of B2B users under one customer organization umbrella (tbh, I haven't seen any analytics tool that does that).

- Analyzing funnels

- Analyzing user behavior

Silvia Micol P.

"Super useful with the best customer service ever"

What do you like best?

Mixpanel is very useful because it allows to have real time insights about our customers, it is very easy to send push notification with it and for our IT team to install our events on the tool. Moreover the customer service is very efficient, they always answered rapidly to any of my doubts and the helped me to overcome every issue with their platform.

What do you dislike?

It is not a very user-friendly platform to use, it needs some times before I learnt to use it well. There are still some things which are very difficult for me, as using JQL to write queries (I'm a marketer, not an engineer).

There are some properties we cannot use as we would like to, for example the birthday property, we cannot select a day on the calendar, moreover the insights we receive are not as precise as they are on our own platform.

We managed to schedule push notification, while before we couldn't do that, moreover we managed to have some real time insights about our customer and to better segment them.

Nikola J.

"The advanced analytics platform you need...for sales."

What do you like best?

Of course, the best thing about Mixpanel is the amount of data you can collect about your users or clients and all the different ways you can look at it.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike most when it comes to Mixpanel is the interface and the way the statistics and data is shown. For me, it's not graphical and friendly enough, but I do believe that this is the preferred way for many who are into numbers and data crunching.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As always, you should be as clear as possible as to what your needs and goals are. In case you want better sales analytics and sales funnel tracking, then Mixpanel is probably the right choice. For product and app user activity analysis, though, there might be better options out there.

With Mixpanel you get a better insight into the performance of either your sales funnel or your app. We use it to analyze and track user behaviour, activity and retention, although it is probably even more suited for sales.

Learn more about Mixpanel

Mixpanel Videos

Learning about Mixpanel?

* We monitor all Mixpanel reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.