Twilio

Twilio

Twilio lets you use standard web languages to build voice, VoIP and SMS applications via a web API. Build the next generation of communications with us.

Work for Twilio?

Learning about Twilio?

Twilio Reviews

Ask Twilio a Question
Showing 293 Twilio reviews
Twilio review by Ed S.
Ed S.

"Very, very hard to fault"

What do you like best?

Twilio feels well-developed and polished. The web interface is feature rich and its services are just about without fault. Customer service is actually really good too. They just tick all the boxes. The most understated feature is the well-written docs. The documentation is good enough that in over 2 years I have never had to contact support for anything I couldn't figure out how to do from reading the documentation.

What do you dislike?

The single issue I have is that for non-mainstream and large-country numbers, the prices for numbers can be prohibitively high. I don't hold it against them because I just use them for numbers which are advantageously priced and look elsewhere for numbers that I think the price is too high for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Genuinely hard to find an issue.

Powers our international's PBX lines. We also rely on it for sending automated SMS messages that secure services and apps that we run.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Twilio
Twilio review by Jose Q.
Jose Q.

"Your communications system, everywhere!"

What do you like best?

Twilio is a very extensive and comprehensive communications platform in the cloud. It has literally everything you need to start a company's inbound and outbound communications system from absolutely zero, or to revamp an existing local PBX system to use Cloud-based capabilities. What I absolutely love from Twilio is the enormous expansion possibilities that it has via programming (it supports Ruby, PHP, Perl and Java, among others), and for the non-initiated the "Getting Started" tutorials are just perfect to get a go in hours, not days.

What do you dislike?

There are so many useful and powerful features in Twilio that there is really not much to dislike; however, since everything has a margin for improvements, I'd add "Twilio Softphones", that can be deployed to endpoints (or remotely via email or other means) already preprogrammed with the required SIP domain authentication values. Currently, for SIP, each customer needs to provide their own softphonn software and program them by hand. That feature would be absolutely the best addition to top an already excellent communications suite!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go for it! Even if you internally use an on-premises PBX solution such as Asterisk or Cisco you can easily integrate it with Twilio via SIP Trunking and take advantage of the huge quantity of communication capabilities it provides! And it even provides you with a free Trial account (phone number included!) for you to experiment and evaluate it, so it's a no-lose scenario.

Our entire communications infrastructure is in Twilio. We previously had a mixture of several providers (both Cloud and on-premises) for that, but with Twilio we consolidated inbound and outbound telephony, SMS campaigns, IVR capabilities, call recording and customizable extensions, and even integration with our CRM platform.

What Cloud Communication Platforms solution do you use?

Twilio review by John F.
John F.

"Using Twilio for IVR and SMS"

What do you like best?

The Java API is easy to use and they seem to keep it updated and continue to expand it. It's easy to spin up new features quickly, and the webhooks/reporting on message results are solid.

What do you dislike?

The cost is a bit higher than other competitors. This can add up at higher message volume.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely consider Twilio as a strong candidate for any messaging projects. I think of them as an industry leader and the are constantly adding more value to their offering. If price is your main concern... take a look at the competition. But if you need something rock solid for mission-critical messaging... I don't think you can go wrong with Twilio. And since their API is easy to use and available in a number of different coding languages, the cost of spinning up you solution should be low - and can probably be done in house.

We are using their phone system to create an IVR for incoming calls, and their SMS products to send a) individual system notifications and b) marketing emails on behalf of clients.

Twilio review by Alay R.
Alay R.

"Twillo is easy to integrate with web and app."

What do you like best?

Twillo is very good and easy to use software for integrate sms and calling services with our web and app platform.Twillo provide sdk in different languages like java ,node.js and python so its very easy to integrate twillo sms and calling services with our system.Twillo tutorials help us to understand better twillo services how we can use with our system.Twillo guide documents is very easy to understand and get started with twillo.using twillo studio we can create chatbot for our web and app.

What do you dislike?

Twillo customer help service team is slow responsive and not solve issue fast it take 1 to 2 days for solve our issue.Twillo trial account not allow to create virtual phone number.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twillo is good to integrate telephony service with app.

Twillo is very helpful for us to integrate programmable sms and calling services in our client projects.Twillo sdk in different programming languages is good to use twillo services with any programming languages.Twillo billing method is good it charge us as per use of service.Twillo is great service if any client want telephony service in app twillo is only option.

Twilio review by 🏃‍♀️ Liz W.
🏃‍♀️ Liz W.

"Twilio for Work From Home Moms Globally"

What do you like best?

I love that I am currently living abroad but I have a US based number that I can use to call, text and receive calls and texts through Twilio to grow my business and connect with all of my clients.

What do you dislike?

The initial set up was a bit confusing but thanks to the free set up tutorial and the online chat service it was up and running in less than one hour!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend if you need a service to make/receive texts and calls, no matter where you are in the world for a very affordable and reliable price and service and support!

I'm living abroad but building my business back in North America by having a US number routed to my European phone which makes it easy and has zero cost for my clients to text/call me when they need something or want to set up a meeting.

Twilio review by Rachel D.
Rachel D.

"Awesome tool for many telephony options!"

What do you like best?

I love Twilio's flexibility...so many ways to write custom code for handling call flows, and it gives us multiple options for phone connectivity too: on the one side, we're using the Elastic SIP Trunking as a SIP trunk for our PBX, and we are also separately are trying out the Programmable Voice feature that lets us register endpoints (like Polycom desk phones) directly to Twilio without a SIP trunk involved. Twilio can do much more that we haven't even explored yet, and it really feels like they're growing fast with more and more new features and are on the cutting edge of innovation.

What do you dislike?

There's so much that Twilio can do, but their collection of example code and tutorials is very difficult to find your way around, at least for me personally. Most of the time I have to resort to Google searching to try to pinpoint the specific tutorial or example of a given topic, since it's not very clear to me how to work my way through the tutorial sub-site internally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio allows apps to be written in most major programming languages, so as long as you have a programmer or team of programmers, no matter what language, you ought to be able to build some great apps and call flows!

We started using Twilio specifically for its ability to handle SMS/MMS/messaging that we could integrate into our customer's existing phone system. Twilio has a great amount of flexibility with writing custom apps for handling phone numbers, so we can have separate handling for incoming voice calls versus incoming text messages to the same phone number.

Twilio review by Brandon F.
Brandon F.

"Awesome SMS API"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily send and receive SMS messages, including auto-responders based on specific data points.

What do you dislike?

Twilio's control panel is extremely powerful, but with that power brings confusion. The way you set up certain things (such as callback URLs or assigning phone numbers) can be a little confusing when you are managing more than one service in one control panel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Identify your exact and specific needs before you sign on, and then focus on achieving those goals. Twilio has a lot of capabilities and their control panel can be confusing - their services are definitely more technically oriented than user-based in my opinion, so you may benefit from leveraging a tech company's integration services.

We leverage Twilio for multiple purposes. Firstly, our agents (real estate agents) can subscribe to be notified when new leads are assigned to them, or when new unassigned leads are imported into our system from various sources. Secondly, our software automatically allows anyone to send an SMS to our Twilio number with an MLS id number and receive information back about the property without any human intervention (and this process doubles as a lead capture system to capture the sender's phone number, and sometimes their name through Twilio's baked-in addon support).

Twilio review by Peter L.
Peter L.

"Settings hte bar for SMS and Voice Automation "

What do you like best?

Twilio is very reliable and easy to get started on. The concepts are relatively simple and the price is very reasonable.

What do you dislike?

Higher end functionality with Twilio can start to get confusing, and by default they do not set things up in a manner that is the most secure. They could do a better job of letting the user know how to set things up securely, and also how to make the most of their functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is great for getting started, but really take some time to read up on everything it can do and evaluate all the functionality, both in terms of what it can do *for* you and what is can possibly do *to* you. Their customer support is friendly and responsive in case you make a mistake or just have a question, so dont be afraid to reach out and speak with them.

I am using Twilio to send SMS messages for Forgotten Password systems on websites, customer follow ups for insurance, and lead outreach for insurance agencies. We have even incorporated their voice and telephone technologies into critical system alerts after hours.

Twilio review by Jon M.
Jon M.

"Cut the cord on your desk phone"

What do you like best?

I find it very helpful to be able to make calls right in Salesforce Lightning. I stay more productive and on task when I can jump from lead to lead. The sound quality is great and I rarely have issues when making calls. I have never had a dropped cal which is nice.

What do you dislike?

I don't have many dislikes about this product. Occasionally I will break up a little on the call where the lead has a hard time hearing me but it almost immediately clears itself up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product that can be integrated with Salesforce. If you are looking for a product to improve your all in one solution, then this is it.

We are solving productiviy problems we might have had before. Instead of having to dial the number on a cell phone or office phone, we are able to just click and dial from Salesforce. This has saved me a bunch of time. It may not seem like a lot but it sure adds up over time.

Twilio review by Rich W.
Rich W.

"Exceptionally reliable service, but expensive"

What do you like best?

Its been exceptionally reliable, we never had any problems at all. As we are looking to international expansion it is also quite (exceptionally) cheap in some localities such as the US, it is also plug in and play so we don't need to change any code apart from getting a local number. Very cheap to acquire telephone numbers which is great. Twilio chat is an exciting addition which we are looking to implement shortly, a great solution to handling web sockets on auto scaling clusters (with the complication of having multiple instances running at once). We have been offered discounts ( and got a discount for being a y combinator alumni) which is awesome, but the on going offer is only 10% which i feel could be more generous.

What do you dislike?

Live reporting could be more instant, usually takes 2+ minutes to appear in logs which when you are developing / testing can be slightly annoying. Its also exceptionally expensive in the uk compared to some other rivals such as voodoo sms. Australia + Denmark strangely expensive. Twilio chat has a limit of 1000 chats per user which means we'll have to delete messages as we go which will bring chat out of alignment with our internal database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it when your time is expensive, consider switching providers when your scale makes it very expensive

We use twilio for our transactional notifications. Exceptionally easy to implement and great documentation at a cost.

Twilio review by Ismael O.
Ismael O.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

i think the best is the easy option to use twilio from my app, and the multiple option for languages, i use PHP and the integration is good. the option to manage the call over the browser i think is the best because i dont need have a phisical phone to manage the calls, and i can have 1-100 answer the call, only need a computer and internet this is a perfect soluction.

What do you dislike?

I am from Mexico and is difficult to use option for sms or mms, some documentation for the API with PHP have error in the code. the option to manage the log calls i think need more options for filter because some time need filter from city or for duration or cost, with the api is ok, but with the dashboard on the site twilio is very limited the filters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More examples in the documentation for the SDK for PHP and Ruby. maybe review some examples because has some errors in the code. take care to manage the Credentials to make safe.

reset password from cell phone with a voice call, and send information about schedule or status form some services. a option for automatic responder from a SMS is the first use we have for twilio. the manage a IVR for a better routing for the calls is very nice, i like have a local operator but with a better option to manage.

Twilio review by Daniel P.
Daniel P.

"Lead developer of a contact center"

What do you like best?

I work with C#, so I like the old restful api where you can create the Twilio Rest client and then use intelisense to discover all the additional functionality without looking at the docs. The different examples that exist in the api documentation is wonderful that you can look at code from many different languages and compare the implementations.

What do you dislike?

That the twilio rest client was removed in favor of the static classes. Additionally the fact that the twilio enums are not actually enums but your own custom class. When you compare the enums with == it fails and must be .ToString()'d before it will actually compare correctly. Very frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is costly, but worth the effort. Consider using the tutorials that twilio provides for learning and quickly setting up the product. Also the SMS features are pretty cool

We replaced a Cisco based call center with a Twilio inhouse built solution. This has allowed us to track the metrics of calls and the results of calls much better. The call center is for Student Financial Aid at our university and the ability to track repeat issues by looking up previous contacts in our database has greatly improved the customer service we can provide.

Twilio review by Manuel O.
Manuel O.

"WebRTC for non infrastructure developer"

What do you like best?

I like, the docs and the continuous solution of problems when you write a ticket. The team is awesome, just like the docs and the service, everything is transparent and if you've worked with WebRTC devops you're going to notice the big difference and how Twilio makes your life easy.

What do you dislike?

Maybe I dislike that there's no a department trying to encourage companys in Latin America(Where I come from), to use twilio in their products, so that's like a show of no interest for all the rest of america, but I guess you guys are working on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, investigate and waste some time in the most powerful technology in the moment

We stream live video emergencies for our 911 line of emergencies, allowing the police to take actions faster on any kind of situation. The benefits of twilio is the way you can easy integrate the product with any platform

Twilio review by Brad B.
Brad B.

"Lone Wolf Dev Trying to Keep Up"

What do you like best?

Documentation, code examples and speed of implementation. More importantly it always works. Consistent administration dashboard and ease of spinning up new numbers and taking advantage of existing Twiml Apps. I really appreciate that Twilio is pioneering the changing landscape of communication endpoints, letting me worry about my development and not having to code around the next "thing"

What do you dislike?

Difficult to understand where our costs are. With the various ways you incure charges, its hard to see where your spend is going. Being a extremely lean (1 man team), i don't have time to export and deep dive into my billing. I just add money as necessary. Fortunately it doesn't cost much now, but i worry about future growth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireframe your idea and plan first. Don't just start implementing right away because it looks easy to do (which it is). You can feature creep really quickly with twilio within your product and it doesn't always make sense.

Anonymous phone numbers for 3rd party agents in the real estate industry. Ability to track all communication between our agents in the field and the conversations they have with home owners. We also use the conference api's to record all of our conferences and log who is on the call.

Twilio review by Administrator

"Twilio is awesome! It is so powerful and easy to use that everyone can integrate with it in hours!"

What do you like best?

I love how simple the Twilio APIs are, and also how well documented they are. You can find examples of code, use cases and real world documentation very easily. There are many examples of use cases of exiting mobile applications that have extended their services to improve the user experience by integrating chat, messaging, video, conference calling and many other benefits of twilio.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the pricing too much. It feels like for small start ups that are trying to find product market fit it can be very difficult to commit to a product like this when things go at scale. It would be great if Twilio could offer a very nice free trial package so that business without much funds can start using it and get up to speed with their customers before they have to increase on expenses related to cloud computing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the youtube videos to see how other people are using twilio. There are amazing number of applications all over the world of people easily integrating Twilios communication platform such as video, audio, whatsapp integrations, and many other ways of using text messaging as well.

We are allowing hikers to connect each other by using our mobile app and the built in chat.

Twilio review by Hussachai P.
Hussachai P.

"Text to speech and vice versa is super cool"

What do you like best?

I used Twilio in one of the Hackathon event that my company held. The idea is to build a voice interface for the bot. That sounds cool right? But, it's even cooler when everyone in my team never had an experience with Twilio API before and we could manage to get it working in a few hours. It worked perfectly, and I was kind of amazed that the voice recognition was pretty good. The demo went very well on the stage.

What do you dislike?

We used PHP API and it's a little bit difficult to use. Maybe we picked the wrong language :) Sometimes we experienced a delay and we didn't know what's going on. The web console had logs that we can use for debugging, but it took a little bit of time to know where to look at. One last thing, we had a problem with one phone number that the text never reached. That carrier was Google and I'm not sure that the texts were blocked by the provider or not because we sent a lot of texts during testing. We didn't see any problem with other carrier though just a delay that occurred sporadically.

You can chat with the bot anywhere even you don't have an internet connection. It just needs a mobile phone signal.The programmable voice interface is something I really like.

Twilio review by Darryl L.
Darryl L.

"Twilio simplifies SMS communications with customers"

What do you like best?

The API that Twilio provides makes it easy for us to provide two-way SMS communication with customers. We build a web service, send a message (or messages) and all the plumbing is taken care of for us.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that there's anything in particular that I don't like about Twilio. The functionality provided perfectly fits our business requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Twilio a try - create a trial account, buy a phone number (it's cheap - $1/mo) and create some simple TwiML in the online configuration tool. You'll be amazed how easy it is to get started and how easy it is to build more complex solutions.

Communication with customers is a key indicator of customer satisfaction. Even if the subject of the communication is not always positive (we are a public utility and use Twilio to send SMS messages to our customers during power outages) just the communication itself has a positive impact on our customer relationships.

Twilio review by Kate Z.
Kate Z.

"Programmable SMS for ChatBots"

What do you like best?

We currently use Twilio to send links to our web based chatbots. Twilio has been relatively seamless throughout the whole process. We've never had any errors in sending the messages, except for those that were generated by the cell provider.

Frankly, I rarely have to think about Twilio, even though it's the backbone of our product. In my mind, that's the backhone of a good product.

What do you dislike?

Two things:

- I can't use VPN with Twilio.com. Every time I try, it tells me my login is invalid. I've never had any issues using this product before.

- I would love to have better error email alerts. I receive emails for the first failure. These failures are almost always that someone replied STOP. In my mind, that isn't an error.

- It'd be cool if there was some way to have HIPPAA compliant SMS. I don't think this is within Twilio's control, but it would open up the health care industry more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We are currently solving the ability to reach patients on their phone, wherever they are. Twilio allows us to do this at scale, and gives us the ability to not have to build our own platform for sending SMS.

Twilio review by Brechin A.
Brechin A.

"Snippity Snap"

What do you like best?

Virtually everything I need in place and now with EMAIL integration. THANKS SendGrid! Most people think about how to utilize Twilio after they have a customer base or to get a business off the ground. But I have been viewing the benefits of setting up a customer ecosystem BEFORE my product or service comes to fruition. I want to communicate with my test users in real time to get a good idea of where I might be going wrong and how I can make things better. That way, when I come to market with a final version of a product I will have feedback from way more test users backing up the v1 of my product. Reach more test users means avoiding more launch problems for v1!

What do you dislike?

So far, now much. It is very intuitive. However, I would say it can be hard to explain what it is to people but I am sure that's my bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework! Make sure you create a checklist of everything you need and see if Twilio checks off those boxes before to go around looking for answers elsewhere. You could be surprised at how much Twilio can actually do for you!

I plan to use it to send data from a prototype product I am using. I am also hoping to communicate in real time with Beta test users to iterate in real time on issues and concerns to bring a product to market faster and smarter.

Twilio review by Josh S.
Josh S.

"Great products, doumentation less so"

What do you like best?

The product suite *techniclly* allows one to accomplish nearly all telephonic requirements one might have.

What do you dislike?

The documentation often only shows the "happy path" to implementing a given piece of functionality. This is incredibly frustrating when someone wishes to deviate from the samples that are posted. Most other API-based SAAS platforms offer robust documentation of all API functions/parameters. This is often buried on Twilio, if it exists at all.

Further, Twilio needs to stick with a data standard. If it's TWiML, then great. But some methods expect/return JSON. This makes it incredibly difficult for us to implement API interfaces on our side.

Finally, there are often multiple ways of accomplishing something like dialing a call in the NuGet package. I understand the need to maintain backward compatibility, but marking methods as deprecated would be very helpful -- especially since the documentation is inconsistent between old and new approaches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak to sales engineers before to see if *and how* business requirements can be met.

IVR-based verification of energy sales.

SMS link to web-based version of verifications.

Carrier lookup to detect early warning of fraud when sales rep sells to an outsize number of VOIP numbers.

Twilio review by José Antonio A.
José Antonio A.

"Follow the leader"

What do you like best?

We are a mexican based startup of digital marketing that that targets small to medium sized companies. Our potential merket is really big, but also very difficult to get on board cause of their limited budget. They want everything to work perfectly, they are very affected any potential buyer they loose.

Our approach is to give them the best tools to help them sell, Twilio has been a great partner to this end, every time we start a project we go to Twilio's website to check out their new features and gather ideas of what we could do; there has not been one time that we go to the site and do not find something innovative enough that inspires a new great tool for our clients.

What do you dislike?

Generally they have a great service, nevertheless, in the last month we have had some problems with the voice api and the programmable chat. As I described above, our clients are very sensitive of lost leads, so it impacted to us directly on our customer service.

We are concious that one problem was with the mexican carrier and the other one was because of the iphone's software update, but we think you could let us know that you think this bugs exist so we can do something about them, we thought everything was fine and the service wasn't working (200 status in all requests!).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the documentation, ask any doubt to support and try twilio quest to know all of the product capabilities.

We are centrilizing the communication between our clients and the potential buyers we get for them, our idelistic view of the company's future is to have our clients sales process automated, i.e. sell for them.

Twilio is developing the tools we need with amazing quality, they are innovative and have great customer support! Also, their ducomentatios ins beutiful.

Twilio review by Zak P.
Zak P.

"Adaptive solutions to our ever growing business"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to setup our clients with SMS. The API is easy to work with and once things are set up I know the system is reliable and will continue working. I also like the Twilio dashboard and the amount of things I can control from it. When I need to set up something out of the ordinary for one of my clients I usually know I can work it out on the dashboard without much assistance.

What do you dislike?

Right now it can be a pain to setup SMS for clients in certain foreign countries. Subumission of the personal identification and business registration, and having to retype it all in can be cumbersome. Also, it's difficult to separate identities and associate international phone numbers with each.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is a great SMS platform for both small and large businesses.

Right now Twilio handles our 2 way messages for our clients so they can talk to their customers. They are able to confirm or cancel appointments ahead of time and can get notified instantly if they are on a waitlist and a spot becomes available.

Twilio review by Andrew W.
Andrew W.

"Rapid deployment of very functional, profitable tools"

What do you like best?

I like how you can interact with the API at whatever level you need, regardless of language. I can deploy simple workflows with the "serverless" architecture to handle quick tasks, or build out a fully integrated enterprise grade solution. The console is incredibly deep and functional without being completely confusing.

What do you dislike?

At times the level of effort required to deploy more end-user/agent tools is a bit daunting. In addition to our SMS outreach and call routing, we want to eventually move our call center agents to a cloud based solution, but we aren't yet at a place with the product where we can accomodate this because our development team is so small.

We needed to be able to SMS roughly 115k numbers daily, and to do so with local presence. We were able to get a production MVP deployed in under 3 weeks. Since then we've grown the complexity of the tool, but at its core that first 3 week's worth of effort remains the backbone of our product.

Twilio review by Allen H.
Allen H.

"Always Impressed"

What do you like best?

If I ever have a question on some new feature I am implementing, it will always be answered quickly either through documentation or through a very responsive support team. They provide samples of working software along with verbose documentation to get you up and running as quickly as possible. I have yet to run across a defect in their software.

What do you dislike?

The console is a bit of a hassle. It is not laid out well and I am always having to search for things that I need. If the console was laid out a little bit better, this would be unbeatable software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are an industry leader in the space. I wouldn't really consider using anybody else.

I use Twilio to send notification reminders to Jurors for their jury duty. I also use it for a very basic IVR solution to inform jurors when/where their service is.

Twilio review by Alexandra L.
Alexandra L.

"Easy to learn and easy to use"

What do you like best?

The documentation makes it easy to find what you are looking for and understand what to expect from the API without have to learn through trial and error.

What do you dislike?

So far, I've had a good experience. I guess the only thing I dislike might be some of the organization within the API docs. Sometimes parameters take a lot of space and require a lot of scrolling to get to the next explanation - maybe if they were collapsible?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio give you the freedom to implement your product in the way you imagine - you don't need to worry about restrictions on their side.

Right now we are using it for user authentication with a text to verify our users when they sign up. We are also looking at using Twilio to give our customers marketing tracking phone numbers to track marketing results within our platform.

Twilio review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Twilio Rocks!"

What do you like best?

The only thing better than the ease of use of their APIs and their wonderful documentation is the quality of their service(s).

Having worked on their platform for the last 5 years I can count on one hand (finger actually) when services that we (and our clients) depend on were not available. One can't ask for better than that!

What do you dislike?

At times, it seems like the changes and new product releases come too frequently to fully digest their offerings without spending full time watching this wonderful company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hang on tight, it is going to be a great ride!

Seriously, choose the platform/service of your choice and dive in!

Primarily using the technology to assist our clients to accurately track the effectiveness of their marketing efforts. As a side benefit, we are also using their product to drive customer acquisition and increase customer retention.

Twilio review by User in Computer Software

"Great Tool For Experienced Users"

What do you like best?

Twilio offers a better price point than others in the industry. This better price point makes the service easier to sell in conjunction with our software service. Also, we are able to connect this service to our software to allow customers to easily submit their appointment reminders for calls or texts. I also feel the text option is very attractive in this day and age. I know I personally would rather receive a text than a call.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not very user friendly for reporting or finding data for a specific sub-customer. With the prior service, the customer would just have to stop using the service to no longer be charged. Occasionally, we still have incoming activity for customers that have canceled service. We've also had a few complaints that the messages are very 'robotic' in comparison to our previous service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio can be very useful as long as you are able to create an API to pull the data. I don't love the UI reporting.

We use Twilio for appointment confirmation call and text services for our customers. It is a service very often utilized by our customers in conjunction with the software that we offer. The reasonable price point and usage-based billing make this an attractive offering.

Twilio review by Nik W.
Nik W.

"Leveraging Twilio to help our customers have a great experience"

What do you like best?

Twilio gives us the ability to give customers an improved user experience. With Twilio we ensure that our customers are always alerted to anything they need. We have the ability to mass communicate across our platform simply and quickly. The most important thing for me, is Twilio helps my customer have a great experience.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about Twilio. Really the only thing I dislike, is I know we can be better using different Twilio products, but I don't know how they work or how to leverage them in my current system. It would be great to have better communication from our account manager to understand these functions.

In our business (healthcare software) it's imperative to have quick communication across an agency. With Twilio we are able to allow for instant communication across large health care systems.

Twilio review by Ali T.
Ali T.

"Discovered new exciting products, especially Flex"

What do you like best?

I like the new Flex contact center application as it could be a possible replacement for the custom contact center we have built at our company. Its ability to quickly roll out new contact centers and its very configurable nature seems very appealing.

What do you dislike?

Some of the schedules seemed to have changed last minute, or there was too little time in between sessions to actually get to the desired next one before it filled up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Broad suite of products Twilio offers allows it to probably have a solution for any companies needs.

We have built a custom contact center using Twilio Voice and its many features. However, with the introduction of Flex it could mean that may have to take another look at this solution as a possible replacement or at least migrate our current contact center to Flex.

Twilio review by Jen N.
Jen N.

"Great customer service!"

What do you like best?

Working with Twilio has been a pleasure! They're always available to answer questions and dig into any concerning deliverability issues, which is super critical for us when we're sending out hundreds of thousands of messages. It's great to know that Twilio is handling relations with carriers to make sure our messages are compliant and will get through!

What do you dislike?

Not a major dislike, but at times it's difficult to know what new features are and when they're launching. For example, the pricing information for Twilio Studio is unclear on the website.Also, as one of Twilio's largest non-profits using Twilio in a unique way, it's difficult when issues are affecting only us.

Trying to message and engage with 3 million young people. Twilio has been instrumental in allowing us to create more flexible messaging flows and better understand deliverability.

Twilio review by Marcel G.
Marcel G.

"Great company, great services and awesome dev community"

What do you like best?

- Services are very reliable

- API documentation is very good

- Support response times are quick

- Pricing is competitive

- Great dev community and events

- Call quality is very good

What do you dislike?

- Too many new products and fewer new features for existing ones

- Admin dashboard is overwhelming at times

- They could do more with their Speech API's

We are using Twilo as our main provider of our int. calling business. They give us the flexibility to offer very competitive prices and services.

Twilio review by Joshua L.
Joshua L.

"Top of the line experience for SMS messaging"

What do you like best?

Superb deliverability with superb support, you know you are getting the best product amongst SMS providers. Importantly, the work they have done behind the scenes to ensure that all the weird edge cases are worked out is definitely worth it.

What do you dislike?

The documentation is occasionally a bit lacking. It often has good Hello World tutorials, but deep dives require piecing things together and the SDKs are sometimes the hardest to figure out, requiring a source dive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Participate in the communities that spring up around Twilio; there's a lot of good support there.

Gathering customer feedback via text messages, it's the best way to receive quick insights. Our customers that use it are seeing 21% of responses within 60 seconds, and 70% within an hour. That is a huge improvement over other channels like email.

Twilio review by Steven M.
Steven M.

"Twilio allow for a great customer experience"

What do you like best?

Working in healthcare it's important to allow for quick communication across our platform. Leveraging Twilio we can quickly alert doctors and clinicians of changes in patient care. On top of that, our clients love this alerting technology. Twilio makes our software look good, and ensures that patients receive the care they need.

What do you dislike?

Really there's not much I dislike about Twilio. I do wish we had a more personal connection with our Account Manager. Right now I know there are other products we could leverage, but I don't understand what they do or how to deploy them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find out about all the available solutions. There are several products you can leverage.

We are creating instant communication across massive healthcare systems, ensuring that users are alerted in real time to changes in patient conditions.

Twilio review by Deborah E.
Deborah E.

"Twilio has a global reach. "

What do you like best?

Twilio is the most extensive communications platform I have used. It has a fast learning curve and users are backed by a great support service in terms of the helpdesk support team and unlimited articles and videos on the Twilio website, which provide a dependable intro and advanced guides to users to learn the basics of this program.

I also love the SMS deliverability rate, practically all of our SMS get delivered to our clients successfully and the geographical reach is practically worldwide. Enabling us verify clients from all over the world.

What do you dislike?

Delivering SMS to non-western countries are usually very expensive, in comparism to local alternative services. However the effectiveness of Twilio, more than makes up for the day expensive rate.

We use Twilio to verify the mobile phones of our clients and customers and it has always done a great job. No matter the geographical location, Twilio SMS and call verifications gets there.

Twilio review by Roger B.
Roger B.

"Great provider!"

What do you like best?

Ease of their new UI makes navigation a lot better and support has been top-notch throughout our experience. I've enjoyed having a dedicated account manager as well for issue escalation and product walk-through when new features are released.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a challenge to get issues that have been escalated resolved but once we upgraded our support plan, we were taken care of by our dedicated account manager.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great phone provider with great support (if you pay for it). If you can afford the time and money (and potential hassle) of getting on a trial program to determine if it's a good fit, I'd recommend giving them a try.

Best way to get unique buy-in and customization for our clients needs. We have realized a lot of cost-savings by scaling with Twilio as a business partner and as we expand our product offerings, we've really relied on up-to-date technologies being developed by Twilio.

Twilio review by Steven W.
Steven W.

"Twilio seems to do all the stuff I don't want to"

What do you like best?

I like the console best, the logs and bug tracker are invaluable.

What do you dislike?

Not much, I dream of lower rates. I understand that they are pretty low already but I would like to do more through lower cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn where the docs are.

I have solved several. Recenty I solved an issue where we have an emergency team that responds to disaster situations. These are not often, thankfully, and between they forgot how use the communications. I built a single phone number to text the group. Also, if they call it it will start a conference call automatically and everyone on the list can join by calling; the conference ends when the first caller hangs up. This makes it so all they have to remember/document is the phone number.

Twilio review by Olivia C.
Olivia C.

"Great support and development help"

What do you like best?

Talking to a person is easy with Twilio, so is getting super quick help with a problem

What do you dislike?

Expensive compared to similar services but service usually makes up for it. Bulk discounts too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If cost is an obstacle, Nexmo is similarly ranked but doesn't offer the service that Twilio does. You get what you pay for with them and although the bill isn't my favorite part of the month, I'm grateful for their friendly service when I need it.

We are solving a phone number relay obstacle within our software code. When transitioning from shortcode to longcode Twilio has assisted through the implementation of their Copilot tool, making us more affordable for smaller businesses.

Twilio review by User

"Great service for adding telephony and sms to your product"

What do you like best?

Great APIs/libraries and simple integrations makes it a breeze to include voice & sms to your product. Handles good volume and service uptime has been outstanding.

What do you dislike?

Pricing can get slightly steeper in some areas of the world, and there are unsupported areas in the world where they haven't quite extended their reach, so you can't buy a local number in the region to lower the cost of sending messages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is a safe bet, and a big player in the space. There are however others that try to undercut Twilio in terms of pricing, which may be worthwhile consideration. In terms of product integration, Twilio has been one of the most simple, headache-free choices, so would certainly recommend.

We use it primarily to send SMS notifications to our customers.

Twilio review by Jacinda S.
Jacinda S.

"Great development partner"

What do you like best?

Twilio has been a consistent source of help for our organization. Their clear documentation, focus on making things work in the simplest way possible, and fantasic support on a technical side has been a huge help to Doctor On Demand. We started with SMS and then became one of their earliest users of Programmable Video, which powers all of the telemedicine visits on our platform.

What do you dislike?

The error console can be a bit finicky to navigate and view tracebacks, etc. Other than that there's nothing we actively dislike and Twilio is making improvements areas that will make the product even better for us.

Twilio powers all the SMS reminders on our platforms as well as the video for the telemedicine visits we provide.

Twilio review by Alain M.
Alain M.

"Director, Product Management"

What do you like best?

Global reach of telecom supernetwork for voice and SMS presence in countries around the world. Ease of use of API. Flexibility of Elastic SIP Trunking service.

What do you dislike?

Twilio deals with a lot of smaller carriers internationally and that has caused call quality issues with some of our customers, forcing Twilio (through laborious tracing sessions with us) to blacklist these carriers. A more comprehensive vetting of carriers abroad would help alleviate this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great company and model. Working through some wrinkles with international carrier support, but the ease of use of the API and the simplicity of implementing solutions such as Elastic SIP Trunking make Twilio a sure bet as a partner.

The ability to process calls and SMS messages worldwide.

Twilio review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"Used Twilio for 8 years"

What do you like best?

Twilio gives us some amazing tools to configure and automate our communication from our platform. We use twillio today in Alleva to allow us to automate alerting to our users and their patients of important medical information.

What do you dislike?

I wish they did a better job offering deeper education on their tools and how to implement them. I know we are not leveraging them to the extent we could. I basically have to go to Signal every year to learn what I need, instead of more online training options.

We help our mental and addiction recovery programs stay compliant with alerts from Twilio inside our app. We also leverage twilio to notify patients of appointments or other important information.

Twilio review by User

"I cannot speak highly enough about Twilio"

What do you like best?

We primarily user Twilio's Programmable Video service and it is great. The javascript api is one of the easiest integrations I have ever done. The service is also really powerful. The composition feature is crazy awesome, how they figure out when all the videos come on and sync the audio too is impressive.

What do you dislike?

There are still many features that we would love to implement but are not offered. We know that some of them are in the pipeline and will be available to everyone soon. This is a fairly new feature from twilio so i'm not trying to be too harsh on them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We considered doing Web RTC ourselves, but we decided to go with Twilio. I am so glad we did because twilio has a fantastic team behind this product including PhDs who study video streaming. Very impressive team!

We have several clients that require face to face interactions between two parties and twilio video makes it ridiculously easy to do.

Twilio review by John Y.
John Y.

"Entry to mid level of experience with Twilio"

What do you like best?

I like the programmable sms and with the SIGNAL conference, I learned more about Programmable wireless, I am excited to explore that area.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I can think of right now.........

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend people to use programmable wireless and maybe Twilio can promote it even more. Because I wish I knew about it earlier. I look forward to future products that Twilio creates!!

I am solving sms communication for academic research study. We benefit from having a easy way to send sms to participants and have a easy way to have a two-way communication. I look forward to using programmable wireless to solve other issues we had with getting a sim card out to participants.

Twilio review by User

"Super feature rich Twilio Flex"

What do you like best?

I love how robust the features are in Twilio. Every communications format is available, from SMS to Video to Chat, Voice and Fax. Allows for effective managing of campaigns.

What do you dislike?

Maybe too technical in its design and setup. While being feature rich is nice, being able to easily customize those features can be confusing and lengthy of a process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it out, and make sure to contact support with any questions about how to set up certain campaigns. The free trial gives you more than enough of an opportunity to evaluate and I think that it offers more than enough features to satisfy any team.

To have all of our communication campaigns accessible in one place and not need separate clients/platforms to run SMS campaigns.

Twilio review by CJ P.
CJ P.

"Great for SMS"

What do you like best?

Twilio has some really good webhooks for receiving new messages, as well and getting status updates for when an SMS message has been delivered or failed. We also really like Twilio's Hosted SMS feature.

What do you dislike?

We have run into some deliverability issues when sending text messages at times. Mainly because we send links for people to click on so they can hit one of our web pages. It would be nice if Twilio had more authority with phone carriers so that they could improve that for customers that are sending non-spam links.

We provide SMS services for small businesses. So Twilio has be crucial is helping small businesses realize the benefit of texting their customer's.

Twilio review by Randall D.
Randall D.

"One of my favorite API Services"

What do you like best?

I love the DX the most: simple APIs, great docs, a nice dashboard, and crystal clear documentation.

What do you dislike?

Developer libraries for web frameworks could be improved. EG: why not make in-depth developer libraries for each major web framework that have deep integrations? This way, developers like me can be even lazier =)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It is the best telco API service around, by far. I've worked with and evaluated a ton (and even built some myself). Twilio has the most offerings, the simplest APIs and integrations, and is headed in the right direction. A+

Sending SMS communications to customers, acting as a virtual PBX. It's been helpful in establishing real-time comm solutions for us.

Twilio review by Administrator

"Functionality vs FIness"

What do you like best?

Simple getting started example, and interactive console enviroment makes it easy to get going.

Feature set is expansive which is nice

Operating in a space that is needed because messaging is inheritly intertwined with cellular and mobile communication.

What do you dislike?

Need for custom fraud and abuse detection, often call and text features are targets of attacks for scams in house solutions are needed to prevent these things.

Libaries and SDK's are harder to implement against / fall down compared to initial onboarding examples.

Per message/type sms usage payment structure makes it harder to scale against / price for subscription business models. If you indend to flatten the payment structure to the user it required complex math and statistics to come up with an accurate estimate of the cost to the buisiness per month / the cost vs feature delivery to customers. Ex. If I enable feature X that uses voice calling for all paid users what is the ROI vs the cost of twilio voice costs per month. That is a HARD question to answer with per usage because your cost of twilio goes up with usage and while user retention might go up eventually it can limit innovation.

VOIP calling, SMS authentication

Twilio review by Consultant

"Great event showcasing what is possible and igniting thirst for development "

What do you like best?

I really love that the Twilio team knows their audience, took risks and showed live code and other realtime demos. We weren't bored with a bunch of slides.

All staff and Twilio team are extremely enthusiastic about what they are doing and this was amazing.

What do you dislike?

Crowded in main area at times with not enough seating.

I was also a bit confused on schedules, missed lunch day 1 to make a break out session that didn't end up starting on time.

Break out sessions should have had much more info, they mostly skimmed the surface and a lot of that was covered in the Keynotes already (at least the ones I attended).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't waste your time with imitation competitors with limited functionality, you'll end up wanting to come back to Twilio if the pace of development keeps up.

1 - Scalability,

2- Reliability

3 - Innovative system continually keeping up

As a downside, I'm Canadian and I find costs up there are problematic often times. I'm upset I can't play with the Narrowband SIM I got. I think there is an international presence here so would be amazing if we were all supported.... but I know this stuff can take time. I'm sure this is our CRTC and infastructure issue too though.

Twilio review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Company's product is built on top of Twilio"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to develop on top of and how often Twilio is making upgrades to their product offerings. We literally had a customer call us and tell us how much they love using our voice messages now that they sound "more human' which was the Polly update.

What do you dislike?

I would love better data reporting for teams that aren't engineering and product. I'd love to tie back customer usage of certain API calls to likelihood to renew. Often times our sales teams have a tough tme linking product usage to likelihood to renew from data that we can't see in Twilio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Twilio, not Bandwidth (mid drop)

We communicate critical health information to underserved populations via SMS that they otherwise wouldn't get. We hear constantly from our customers how vastly improved they're able to mobilize their communities and patients through text than using phone calls. Plus, the amount of time it reduces for them in working hours frees up time for more meaningful tasks

Twilio review by Consultant

"Twilio reseller"

What do you like best?

The Twilio products are very well described, easy to begin work with and provide a reliable service. The team who work with us from Twilio are very supportive and clearly want to make a success out of our engagement.

What do you dislike?

At this point not much really, I guess that the lack of dev meetups in the UK for customers/partners is a bit of a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio provide a service that is very easy to comprehend and to consume. It provides predictability and reliability in services where that matters but also adds innovation in a number of areas to diffefrentiate their product and your ability to serve your customers. They are backed up by a passionate team who are both technically literate and have good business acumen.

We are addressing the need for our customers to get quick service with their phone numbers - basically shortening the purchase cycle and simplifying the support and operational models for their phone number portfolio.

Learning about Twilio?

* We monitor all Twilio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.