Heap Reviews & Product Details

Heap Overview

What is Heap?

Heap helps teams make smarter decisions. Heap automatically captures every user action on your website or mobile app, so you can analyze the usage patterns that drive conversion and retention. Our unique approach means that anyone can understand user behavior without having to rely on engineers to instrument events. Also, since Heap automatically collects events starting at the moment of installation, this data is available retroactively -- no need to wait for events to trickle in when you have a question. Just answer it in Heap in seconds. Getting started takes 2 minutes. Try Heap for free at https://www.heap.io/signup

Heap Details
Discussions
Heap Community

Heap’s mission is to power business decisions with truth. We empower product teams to focus on what matters — building the best products — not wrestling with their analytics platform.

Every other analytics tool requires you to manually write tracking code or implement tags to specify what events need to be tracked. This means that product managers, marketers, analysts, and others spend dozens of hours specifying tracking plans and working with the engineering team to implement tracking code. When the data becomes untrustworthy or incomplete, the process starts all over again, preventing teams from being data-driven and agile.

Heap eliminates this burden by automatically collecting user behavior, and making it available for analysis retroactively. When a user visits a website or mobile app, Heap automatically captures every pageview, click, tap, swipe, and more. Our point-and-click interface then allows anyone in a business to analyze that data themselves without relying on others to write tracking code or build complex queries. This empowers teams to be self-sufficient, agile, and confident as they make decisions.

Heap
2013
San Francisco, CA
@heap
Description

Instant, retroactive analytics for web and iOS. No code required.

Heap Videos

Heap Screenshots

Heap Reviews

Showing 460 Heap reviews
Already have Heap?
What do you like best?

Love how easy to use the Tool is! Even for non-"data-minded" people. Love the reports, the sleek design, and the myriad ways to slice/dice the data and insights. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I don't have enough time to research a lot more about the inner workings of reports to learn how to use the tools more insightfully. I think I'm really using the tip of the iceberg. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Weekly Newsletter? Digestible "hot tips" for specific use-cases? I know I need to spend more time learning about the platform but some suggestions would be super helpful and much appreciated! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm zeroing in on users who either aren't using our platform enough or are not using specific parts of our platform. This data guides me in reaching out to those users and providing extra resources they might need to increase adoption and potentially secure contract renewals and upgrades down the line.

I also provide adoption reports based on Heap data to several of my key clients. They love these monthly or quarterly adoption insights report, made possible by Heap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heap makes my life a lot easier. I am being asked a ton more questions by our leadership team, and I am able to find the answer in heap immediately or define it within minutes. I love that even when I don't have an event set up, it has all of the past data without having to have the event defined preventively. Heap has a lot of great features that they are always updating and improving.

Data governance is really important for our company and Heap makes it very easy to ensure that events are created with a standard naming convention. They even have a way for other users within Heap to verify that the events are correct, and everyone can trust that they can use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be hard to define so many events (initial set up). I wish there were some quick ways to define all events within a dropdown. As an example, a 'Sort' dropdown with 12 options, I wish I could click Define Sort, and then have it define the 12 separate events within it.

I also wish that the reporting capability was a bit beefier. For example stacked bar charts, area charts, bubble charts, scatter, gauges, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get is sooner than later, the second you install it, it begins capturing all of the data on your website and stores it for easy reporting in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A lot of conversion funnels. Understanding where our key conversions are for sign up. We look at how long it takes users to complete each step of our process. We also look at new feature usage and feature retention. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heap makes it really easy to get quantitative analyses into how customers use your product and where they are dropping off. Using Heap's Event Visualizer, you can check usage of button clicks/actions for every element on your site which is super helpful and enables anyone on your team to analyze user data without necessarily needing to wait for a Data Scientist to run an analysis for them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were faster ways to run analyses in Heap of integrated actions. To really get into the analysis process, you need to define events for every single action and categorize them before you can start them in analyses. As a result, the learning curve for Heap is high outside tech savvy employees willing to invest the requisite time to learn and use the software.

Event Visualizer is also a great tool but I often run into issues with it working because of AdBlocker or trying to test outside of Chrome. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Heap to identify specific user cohorts based on actions they're taking to contact for user interviews. In addition, I often use Heap to dive into understanding where users are dropping off in product experiences to understand where we can iterate to further improve the user experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Engineer
What do you like best?

* Easy to use reports with helpful presets

* Flexible grouping and filtering

* You can define custom events right inside Heap

* You can provide a description for each event/segment so that your coworkers can easily understand it

* Heap keeps track of updates to segment and event definitions, making it easy to spot any anomalies that may have caused by such change

* Dashboards

* Continuously updated product with useful new features like grouping users into Accounts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

* I would love more features around tracking a ratio between various metrics over time

* Sometimes reports can be slow

* Dashboard functionality could be better: I can't "pin" dashboard settings like observed time range, so that other people viewing the dashboard can see the same time range

* You can mess up a dashboard by updating a report without realizing that it's used in a dashboard Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Heap Analytics is the best behavioral analytics tool that I've used so far, with powerful reporting capabilities yet very approachable user interface. As a regular user, I'm very pleased with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Heap as our primary behavioral analytics platform: we build a lot of reports to tie user behavior to various KPIs that our teams drive. We have lots of reports on the platform, and it's very easy for non-analysts to create their own reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It lets non developers define events through the event visualizer, which is extremely powerful. That alone empowers the entire team to think about what data to collect and heap makes it incredibly easy to analyze it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if it could somehow get retroactive historical snapshot data for events that have been defined but have to do with the DOM. We had one time where our lead capture was broken but theoretically if they have captured the entire DOM at that moment then all those emails are not lost but somewhere in the depths of the data heap has. We could have saved all those leads by capturing the historical data in heap but since snapshots don't show historical data we lost those leads.

Also something that could be super useful is adding a ML feature. Theoretically with user data, item data, and event data, that could all be fed into a ML API that can notice which items/events combos are popular among what users. It would be great to have a way for us to see the underlying trends/correlations that are not readily apparent and hard to see. A good example of an API that does this is Amazon Personalize. If Heap could somehow do what they do with the data provided and then make it easy to start generating recommendations of items for users based on the users actions, that would make Heap the most essential software to any online business and it would separate heap from the rest of the crowd. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend using heap. It will help the entire team become data focused and free up the developers and the rest of the team to do less time orchestrating the data collection and more time actually thinking/reflecting on the data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tracking and viewing engagement metrics, as well the main benefit in my every day use: tracking down errors, finding the source of them and then solving them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The flexibility and reliability are extremely important in building up trust in our product usage data. Being able to track all our platforms, sites, and integrations in one place is a huge time saver and enables broad analysis across the company. Our Growth team consumes data from the S3 integration pretty much continuously and forms the starting point for all of their work in identifying funnel leaks and problems in onboarding new users. Because every event is stored back to the day we implemented Heap we can very quickly define new events to analyze feature usage as soon as it becomes strategically important. No need to look into the future and anticipate every potential event we might want to track! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only problem we have is the amount of training that is required for non-data team members to get into Heap. Having to setup all the graphs and analysis manually requires too much effort for some teams to migrate to Heap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're small enough to use the free level this should be an obvious choice. If your company can afford the investment in Heap, and in the right hands, it will pay for itself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are digging deep into our user journeys as we pivot towards a Product-Led Growth model. Being able to make Sales more efficient with better understanding of free trial usage, Customer Success with watching for churn risk customers, and helping Marketing optimize ad campaigns are all benefits we're seeing from using Heap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Marketing Consultant
What do you like best?

Heap is a really awesome tool for event tracking and understanding user behavior on your site. Once you get all of your data configured and properly setup, it's an extremely robust tool and integrates well with out platforms within your data infrastructure.

As long as your team has the resources to properly configure the platform, you'll be in great shape and the tool is much more robust than something like a Google Analytics.

They're also got a very helpful training academy resource. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't necessarily say that I actively dislike anything about Heap other than the fact that it's not overly intuitive if you're used to something like a Google Analytics. Heap is very powerful, but it's less out-of-the-box when it comes to turning massive amounts of data into useful visualizations.

For context, I'm reviewing this from a marketing perspective with very limited technical skills. If your team is equipped with data infrastructure experts, you'll have no issues at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Heap tracks a whole slew of events across our website and product, which we then tie back to individual user account via Hubspot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heap's Autocapture means I don't have to worry about tagging every little click or conversion event that I need tracked, which is especially valuable when constantly optimizing pages, changing elements and A/B testing. Heap gives me the peace of mind that whatever data I need will be there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The relationship of one login only being able to access a single Heap account is honestly the most dislikeable thing about Heap. I have a handful of accounts for different domains and clients, and it would be nice to be able to access that all under a single login. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't settle for traditional analytics tools just because they're inexpensive and have been around for decades. Take the leap into Heap—you won't regret. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A majority of the work I do revolves around user experience optimization and A/B testing. Most of the time, when I'm using Heap, it is to uncover new opportunities for testing or measuring the impact of a current/recent test. The combination of Autocapture and Heap's easy-to-use UI, saves me and my team countless hours on analysis and planning—instead we can use that time to actually run experiments and improve the site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heap tracks all interactions with your site at all times, so there is no need to set up individual events for everything upfront. I often will think of a new event to track and it is so nice to be able to create the event and have retroactive data at my fingertips. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are very few faults. The only thing I wish was better was the dashboard views. I would love more flexibility in the number of reports I can include and the size of the reports within the dashboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I primarily use Heap to understand conversion funnels/pathways and user behavior. Heap allows us to go beyond the data Google Analytics provides to get a more granular look at what users are doing on our site. It helps up hone our user experience and identify friction in our conversion funnels. We also use the VWO integration which gives us more flexibility and granularity with our A/B testing reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

One of the super cool things that Heap does is automatic event capture. On some level, it's nice as a developer to not need to code in many simplistic tracking events like button taps, but the real power is in being able to leverage those events retroactively. There's many features we built a long time ago that we're able to obtain analytics on by using this feature and helps us take away actionable information for outdated screens and user flows that we look to improve upon without needing developers to add code, release a new version, and wait for data to come in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One of the things that was difficult to work with is session counting on iOS. We have a very specific use-case so maybe doesn't apply to everyone, but we have some background services that would force a wakeup occasionally and this led to our session counting being grossly over reported. This led to difficulties in analyzing some types of reports and also increased costs (until negotiated) because of how the pricing plan works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Find out from your mobile team if you have special concerns about how sessions might be counted, especially if you have background tasks of any kind. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems we're solving are similar to what you'd find in a lot of other analytics platforms - what are users doing, how are they doing it, where do we see room for improvement, it's just that we're able to leverage the platform more efficiently and effectively than with other platforms we've used as a company and others I've seen personally at the past companies I've worked for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heap is easy to you. I don't have an analytics background, but have found Heap to be easy to find my way around, and find the important data I need to craft amazing user experiences.

Heaps event visualizer tool makes it easy for my team to track certain changes on our site to see performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything with Heap. I have had a few member mention that more hint text around events would be helpful. Perhaps forcing users to Categorize events, so you don't have a massive list of Uncategorized. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Given the proper training, Heap can be a valuable tool for design leaders within an organizations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

On a day to day, we use Heap to identify user pain points, where user drop off, etc. This allows us to quickly see patterns and problems that our users may be having, which allows us to design new solutions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Category Specialist
What do you like best?

Heap is incredibly useful for immediately testing the success of a product and understanding how customers interact with new features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not discovered any real downsides to Heap. Sometimes the process of verifying an event is fairly laborious, but it's worth it to ensure that all of your events are representing the action you believe they are. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I truly do recommend Heap, especially for a less data-advanced product team who want to take responsibility for the success or failure of their product launches. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Heap, we're able to immediately see how users are interacting with new features, as soon as we launch. With much of our team not knowing SQL, Heap provides an easy tool to define an event and see what percentage of users are firing that event, so we know how much they are engaging with a recently launched product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Heap automatically captures all user interactions and stores them, which means you don't have to worry about properly instrumenting your pages or interface before you launch. Heap will grab all the data, and when you are ready, you can define what each piece means.

Heap can also track a user across multiple platforms, which is a great way to see behavior as a user moves from mobile to web and back. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Their visual tool to identify interactions is very solid, but I find it is a bit better if you can specify the rule sets manually, which does take some HTML/CSS knowledge. But that is a very minor issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Feature usage, tracking funnels, tracking behavior across platforms. It has allowed us to better understand how our users use various features in conjunction, and where the platform may be coming up short of their expectations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As a non-technical user, I was able to start building meaningful dashboards in minutes. The reports I've created look amazing and are dynamic and interactive.

It's also been great how we've been able to port our Heap data into Tableau so we can create more multi-faceted reporting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's definitely user error, but I was it was easier to create a comparative analysis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Heap has given our company powerful adoption and engagement data. As a member of our product marketing team, for example, I'm able to see how are various campaigns are contributing to adoption. I can make data analysis a part of my day-to-day job so I can understand our business and make better decisions.

We're now able to pinpoint our users by their product behavior so we can send them better resources or identify power users for beta programs, webinars, and customer referrals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The multitude of ways that I can collect insights about our product - from analyzing conversion rates to discovering drop off, Heap has changed the way that I do my job. I feel so much more informed when I make decisions than I did before using Heap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could split data from A/B tests Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for an analytics tool to complement Google Analytics and provide easy to understand reports for all verticals of e-commerce business, you could do no better than Heap. It's the most robust and easiest product I've used yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm improving my mobile experience by learning exactly where my users are dropping off on the site. Heap has exposed issues with accessibility, layout, and which products are the highest and lowest converters - as well as helped me to develop a stronger CTA strategy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

The best part of using Heap is being able to define specific "funnels" to understand at what point in your website flow users are dropping off. It helps to identify what areas need UI/UE improvements. If someone is dropping off at an obscure place in the page flow we can identify any issues or areas that need improvement quickly.

It's easy to filter site traffic and section off into various categories to understand where visitors go after clicking a specific ad.

You can also set up "Dashboards" to organize your reports and get a bird's eye view of all incoming data related to those reports.

Another cool feature is the "event visualizer" which allows you to browse your website and define events visually. For example, while using the visualizer, you can click buttons on your website and turn that into an "event" in HEAP. You can then go back into HEAP and pull data showing how many visitors clicked that button, along with other actions they took surrounding that action. The best part is, events are retroactive as far back as the date you first added the HEAP code to your website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I have not found anything that I dislike about Heap. That is rare. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are tracking the effectiveness of our Facebook and Google Ad campaigns. This helps us hone our ads and our landing pages in ways that give users a better experience on our websites and help us save money by discontinuing ineffective ads/landing pages.

It also helps us to discover "pain points" on the website and any areas where visitors could be getting frustrated and leaving the site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Marketing
What do you like best?

Heap is super powerful and helps us uncover insights into the ways our customers use our product. This allows us to make more informed decisions making changes to our product and developing our product tours. Prior to using Heap we were using both Mixpanel and Google Analytics. Heap has allowed us to combine our analytics needs together under Heap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be complex to learn but once you do it's a really powerful tool. I wish you could track what page on your website someone started a demo on or signed up for your product rather than just the initial landing page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main problem we were solving with Heap is having a single analytics tool that allowed us to track our lead conversions and user insights within our product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Executive Officer