Heap

Instant, retroactive analytics for web and iOS. No code required.

Work for Heap?

Learning about Heap?

Heap Reviews

Ask Heap a Question
Showing 217 Heap reviews
Ravinder S.

"Easy to setup, really generous free plan"

What do you like best?

1) Setup does not require developer time.

2) Reasonably intuitive interface for the complicated queries you could build

3) Sharing reports with team

What do you dislike?

Not much. More common flows/reports could be pre-created.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are building a product (specially SaaS), Add heap today. It will take not more than 15 minutes and you will be able to generate reports on historical data and reap the benefits later.

I use heap to understand what customers do with my product, where they get stuck, what works well, what does not work well.

Benefit - When you start a product, you will not have time to focus on data collection and analytics but you should be doing this from day 0. This is where heap shines. I started using heap really early in product dev cycle, and been collecting tons of data since then. Earlier when i had not many customers, i would visit heap once a week to see what customers are doing and now i do this everyday. With more data and historical data I am able to see create reports just by naming existing events and all data is already there!

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Heap
Mark R.

"We are a new startup and Heap has provided valuable feedback for on-boarding customers"

What do you like best?

Heap is easy to integrate, and its very intuitive, info is much easier to understand than google analytics.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found any issues yet, we just use a basic integration which is perfect for what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Heap is a great to tool to get information on users and their behaviour, doing a bit more integration to show user details is very effective in seeing repeat customers.

This has been very helpful for us in our early stages to understand each customer, we don't have millions of users or hits so the data for us very valuable and usable. We haven't explored higher volumes but the ability to create custom dashboard reports is good and I suspect it will work well for more traffic.

Heap allows us to see what new users are doing on each page and how they interact, this has helped us understand users "getting it" on their first experience of our application.

What Product Analytics solution do you use?

Ramon B.

"The best solution for Analytics"

What do you like best?

Heap got great user experience. Easy to use, nice to see, intuitive concepts, along with great onboarding and support teams. Heap also has great customer success and training infrastructure. Absolutely great.

What do you dislike?

A tool that is a little bit expensive, with a few integrations missing. Also, integrating with a few other tools, such as S3, turned out to be not so straightforward, but support was absolutely amazing guiding us.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider using Facebook Analytics first and then migrating to Heap for cost issues. But when you switch to Heap, do it with a very important executive sponsoring you and never forget to manage the transition that is going to happen. Also, be ruthless regarding organization, as this is a must when using Heap.

We are trying to correlate marketing efforts with impacts in conversion rate down the funnel. We currently have a pretty long and complex sales and would like to understand the impact of certain efforts at the top of our funnel into our global conversion rate. We also are currently building a tests pipeline, so that we can be an AB test company. We have realized that the ease of use of Heap allowed us to be faster in implementing changes and understanding results.

Mike G.

"Good bye tagging, hello mapping. But collect data from day one!"

What do you like best?

The fact that we don't waste our time with complex data tagging concepts where we often missed some collection points and then had to update that framework and submit new deployments is one of my favourite features of Heap. Sometimes you don't know what you want to capture and once you determine this need, you simply map it into your reporting dashboard and you will have the data available from day one. Thats fantastic!

What do you dislike?

Standard out of the box dashboards with the reporting basics should be provided. Also the UI of the tool is not intuitive

Data available from day one, we finally say good bye to cumbersome tagging plans that provided lots of pain. Our current tagging approach utilising legacy tech in native apps was a real pain and created a lot of churn during UAT's

Rafael K.

"Some features of google analytics are missing on heap"

What do you like best?

The possibility of getting old events without having to tag the site. On projects that the site changes a lot its easy to see the past events with no tagging. Very good for the developers team

What do you dislike?

There is no integration with google adwords for public share, and also the metrics like bounce rate, and time on site its missing and are very important metrics to analyze the session qualitiy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Heap its a nice tool, but its not an single tool for analytics. You still have to use google analytics for other uses. But for funnels its the best tool i ever used.

The biggest issue we are solving with heap is the funnels of the site flows getting past data without having to tag all the website. Also we can follow the behavior of one users in fact, what its not possible on G.A

Aditya V.

"Good Analytics tool for Tracking Customer Data and Reporting"

What do you like best?

Increase Your Data Access, Drive Better Business Outcomes through user behaviour and clickstream through product, also we use to understand and verify user-reported bugs on the product.

I use mostly Analyse( User Funnel, Graph and Retention), Define, Dashboard and Reports.

What do you dislike?

It does not give user session-level insights and It's feature suggestion to upload bulk user and show their behaviour and give a different type of user-param on that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A very good tool to take data-oriented decisions in design and product.

It's helping me to verify:

1. Product business outcome by understanding User

2. Verify user-reported bugs

3. Design Decisions

4. Analyse User data

5. Reporting

6. Checking Impact of design and product change

7. Help to identify the scope of improvement.

8. Creating a dashboard to look at a glance

9. Checking conversion b/w different pages

Davit T.

"Fastest route to get the data at your fingertips."

What do you like best?

We really enjoyed the extreme ease of setup and immediate access to data. That was really an Ah-a moment for me personally.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is hard to follow somehow. Being from a non-tech background it took me time to dive in deeper.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a startup that has just started and the only way you can describe your product or site is "chaos", then Heap is what you are looking for. It automatically gets all of the data for you in a matter of minutes. It is invaluable for those who have no time to make a perfect product, yet need to test the waters before they make any product commitments.

We’ve got a picture of behaviour patterns for our users, and found the weak points of our experience flow.

Keith C.

"Well structured interface for all the data you need right away"

What do you like best?

I love the feature of hassle-free data collection. Since the day 1 I used Heap, I don't need to ask my developers to set up tracking event. Thanks to the easy-to-use interface of taging events, I'm able to do everything I need by myself such as setting events, analysing data with well structure dimension and handy interface.

What do you dislike?

Not at all. I can't think of anything now.

Marketing and product optimisation purpose.

For marketing, we use it to attribute where the users coming from, and how they behave, engage with the app, and signup funnel.

For product, we use it to store user data, measure the effectiveness of features like how they influence their retention, measure active user behaviour, measure the effectiveness of product funnel, and much more.

Vijay K.

"An Absolute Must For Data Driven Product & Marketing Team."

What do you like best?

- Ease of use. New UI is Amazing.

- Retroactive data is a blessing.

- Ability to track actions to the click level.

- Visual builder makes defining the event super easy.

- Reporting and Funnels.

What do you dislike?

- It takes a portion of total traffic (because of ad-blockers and other external factors). It would be cool if they can find a way to capture that traffic/interaction as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are someone who loves data over intuition for decision making, you need Heap. You will not regret it. Trust me :)

In Marketing, we use heap to understand how

- Visitors are interacting with our front-end site

- Tracking funnel conversions

On Product side:

- Product usage cohorts

Itzik A.

"Great product for automated UI analytics"

What do you like best?

the auto identification of object in system is an advanced one and make life really simple.

removing the need for java-scripts snippets and CSS expertise just to identify objects its a great feature.

Also, the real time sniffer which shows me current events in my system and their identification helps me a lot when need to find the exact definition for complex events.

What do you dislike?

The reporting mechanism is very simple, and missing the ability to cross reference between different data types or present few metrics on same funnel.

Heap is collecting a lot of data, but the consumption of it is difficult and limited to atomic events on system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Extend reporting mechanism and add more features to generate reports and even drill down reports, like an OLAP object

Another cool thing can be the ability to present a complex funnel presentation, like a one that starts from 1 event, than splits to 2/3 different ones and goes afterwards to same end event.

identify the objects in a simple and fast manner which enables me to focus on gain insights rather than work all day on define the collection methods.

In addition, the ability to custom populate Heap with my custom attributes is highly helpful and helps me to gain insights and filter relevant data better.

"It is surprisingly simple to get valuable insights on user behavior on our website"

What do you like best?

Well, definitely that it's retrospective and I don't have to wait for data to come in.

It is super easy to create events and to build funnels out of them. I can see results quickly. Same with the graphs.

I also liked the fact that you've launched a feature that allows the comparison of two time periods which we've missed before.

Also super happy to have bee introduced to the new Paths-feature which to us is a bit like the funnel in Google Analytics, but easier to understand/use.

And of course: The support is super quick to reply to my questions and has helped me tremendously in the past. Thanks to Devon in particular! :D

I also like that I can now "verify" events - after having talked to one of our engineers and having made sure that it's set up correctly.

Also the fact that you let me know that an event with the same criteria already exists when I try to create it. etc.

It's the little details that make it joyful and easy to work with Heap :)

What do you dislike?

It is not possible to include two properties in the group by-functionality in a funnel. I've had some trouble with this in the past as it meant I had to do some workarounds.

Also sometimes, I can only apply user-based properties, not event-based. Like for example I can only select "group by user's initial landing page" instead of the (event-based) landing page for a certain funnel.

I think in general, we've built quite complex reports (for our A/B Test analyses) so that our request may have been a little "special".

I feel like I cannot rely on "Tablet" device users as it turned out at some point that this is often Desktop users which are not being recognised as such.

- how do users interact with features on our website

- where do users land on our site and how/where do users navigate from there

- how do the two ab test groups differ in ... e.g. completion of a certain funnel (CR), product detail page views, clicks in the main nav, etc.

- do we see differences in users on mobile vs. desktop?

- etc, pretty much everything related to user behaviour on our website

Michael M.

"Glad I found Heap "

What do you like best?

I was looking for an analytics solution for my startup, and stumbled upon Heap (amongst others). I really appreciated a few features they have:

1. No need for coding/instrumentation of your site to track important events. Amazing event visualization tools allow you to define user events with ease using the UI.

2. Report generation is very understandable. I can achieve most of my reports/tasks without having to read-up a lot of documentation, or go hunting for random settings/pages where I need to configure things (looking at you GA).

3. User session visualizer allows you to see in detail how users use your product.

What do you dislike?

One of the features I wish Heap had, would be the ability to create composite metrics out of existing metrics. Typically that would be a ratio (e.g. EventX / EventY) that produces a simple line chart I can track.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider the pricing model (per # of sessions) and how that matches your usage pattern. If you have a lot of sessions with few events per session, you will hit the limits pretty quickly and it might get costly.

I keep discovering new use cases with Heap. Obviously gross statistics (usage, users etc..) but also how users navigate our product, and what actions correlate with higher conversion and retention.

Andrew A.

"Heap is a powerful tool for B2B business "

What do you like best?

The killer feature in Heap that it's collects all events on a page and you don't need to spend time on events setup. In such platforms as Google Analytics or Amplitude, you need to spend a lot of time defining the events and sometimes you add new buttons or change the UX and forget to add them to analytics. So there is no way to collect events data retrospectively. But Heap can do this!

Collection of all data totally removes the pain of monitoring the status of analytic setup.

I love Heap's clear UX design, great work!

What do you dislike?

I am fully satisfied with existing functionality, I only have feature requests: it would be great to have a screen recording.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have B2B business that's the right tool to use. I would recommend to use Heap + FullStory - that's a super powerful bundle!

Heap helps me to analyze product feature usage, funnels and monitor the retention.

Franklyn T.

"Uncomparable."

What do you like best?

Heap analytics is truly unlike any other analytics software out there. I am not just collecting 100x more data on my users - I am able to put my data to work to optimize my product, enhance my customer experience, and grow my business. I've tried every competitor out there. Don't waste your time. Install Heap right away and see for yourself.

What do you dislike?

If I had to point out anything I dislike about Heap is the duration of the data history. 3 months is too short! But there's an easy fix. Set up a connection to your backend database to store all of the valuable behavioral data right away!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't waste any more time with any other analytical software out there. If you want to get serious about improving your product, install Heap and get to work.

Optimizing my product. Increasing conversions. Lowering my cost of customer acquisition. Using data to make predictions on purchase behavior. Staying up to date with my customer's needs. Finding pain points in my product that is effecting sales.

David L.

"How a one man growth guy leverages Heap"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create funnels that are grouped by UTM to understand how users perform throughout their journey. It also helps me understand which campaigns are working effectively, and which should be turned off. The funnel features are definitely the ones I'm using most frequently right now.

What do you dislike?

The UI feels a bit outdated and could use a bit more thoughtfulness. It's not difficult to navigate, but it's a bit uninspiring.

It's not always easy to figure out how to actually do something. For instance, tracking performance over time and comparing data with different cohorts gets a bit complex.

Customer acquisition problems. It helps understand which parts of the journey are strong, and which needs work. If you're a new startup, and are just getting analytics set up, you'll uncover a lot of problems that you thought you had – but now you'll have data to support those instincts.

Andrew M.

"Solved all our analytics problems"

What do you like best?

The dashboard is user-friendly and offers all of our insights in one place. We didn't have to wait days for data like we did with Google Analytics we started seeing data within an hour of installing it on our site.

What do you dislike?

How hard it is to manage different sites our tracking code is installed on. I wish this would improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Sign up and take part in their badge program, it increases your users from 5,000 to 50,000

We are solving our data analytics problems and learning how customers use our site better and quicker with the data collected. We have been able to determine which products to launch and which ones to discontinue. It has also helped us design our site better around how users use our site and services.

Terrance K.

"Fastest way to get deep insights on our products and website"

What do you like best?

I love how Heap automatically captures interactions across our digital properties, which is incredibly powerful because it lets us analyze our data retroactively. Heap is powerful yet easy to use. With little training, anyone at Vidyard can quickly pull insights from Heap without chewing up our analysts' time.

Heap has world-class documentation, but if I can always count on their excellent customer success and support team if I can't figure something out.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot I dislike about Heap. Naturally, we've defined a number of events, segments, properties etc meaning things can get a little messy.

I'm trying to gain insights into our customer journey. With Heap, we're able to understand how every touchpoint impacts our customer. From web visits to conversions to product usage, Heap lets us pull powerful insights into which initiatives are truly making an impact.

Bert S.

"My secret weapon - What Google Analytics should have been"

What do you like best?

Heap, combined with segment is my secret weapon (especially for SaaS). It is what. What Google Analytics should have been. Easy to understand, full control over your reports, ability to drill down in any data point.

At the moment it's the only tool on the market who can track all events (clicks/form submits/page visits) without having to define events beforehand.

What do you dislike?

It only has strict funnels, meaning it won't measure people in funnel step 3 if they didn't also go through step 2.

It misses some of the powerful reports of competitors, like "If a user does event X so many times that's ideal for increasing your retention"

Recommendations to others considering the product:

No brainer. Start with Heap, consider adding mixpanel / amplitude / etc later.

Improve SaaS products , i.e. increase retention, improve onboarding, help decide on which roadmap themes to do next.

Justin A.

"A Better Way for Non-Data Scientists to use Abalytics Data to Answer Business Questions"

What do you like best?

Heap is easy to implement, easy to use, and very simple to deploy. It gives the "lay-person", a marketing team member, or business team member who is NOT a tech savvy data scientist the ability to review the most important data, answer questions in a meaningful way that allow meaningful and clear decisions to be made based on data.

What do you dislike?

We only recently started using Heap, in conjunction with Google Analytics, and so far there is nothing we've encountered that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The trial is not hard to implement or deploy. At the least Heap is well worth the try to see if it's a better solution that enables more informed, data-driven decsions.

The ,main objective in the trial and adoption of Heap was to allow anyone on our team from accounting to sales to business development and HR to easily utilize the data platform to extract relevant and useful insights applicable to their parts of the business, and do so without having to pull people from our tech support, IT, or marketing analyst roles in order to do so. Heap has made this a much more viable process and has saved us a few dozens of hours in people hours over the last 2-3 weeks alone. Additionally, we can be more confident of the decisions we're making about driving the business because we have a clearer picture of our data.

Calvin H.

"It's how we make decisions"

What do you like best?

How granular and specific you can be with your tracking. We can tell exactly how our customers are using the platform based on what they do, not just what they say.

What do you dislike?

Approachability - for more technical users, such as our product team, it's relatively simple to dig into and start culling insights from immediately. For other, less savvy business users (marketing, customer success) there may be a learning curve.

Heap is critical for us to both understand the usage of new platform features, as well as to strategize on aspects of the platform we need to improve. With every product decision we make we now back it with data, it allows us to validate or reject our hypotheses with concrete feedback.

Ana T.

"Reseña de Heap"

What do you like best?

El programa proporciona las herramientas adecuadas para que la gestion de usuarios y clientes sea muy sencilla.

Heap cuenta con la opción de comparar análisis entre diferentes usuarios de forma automática.

Se puede ampliar la base de datos para tener más información sobre los clientes así como crear informes personalizados y almacenarlos.

What do you dislike?

El soporte técnico a veces es demasiado lento y no responde a todas mis dudas.

La configuración de este programa es costosa y lenta, con una interfaz poco optimizada.

En algunas ocasiones el análisis puede llegar a tardar mucho tiempo en realizarse.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Programa ideal para grandes y pequeñas empresas con el que se puede realizar un seguimiento personalizado de cada usuario o cliente y con la posibilidad de hacer comparaciones.

Hacer análisis y seguimiento de usuarios y clientes con el software de escritorio y la aplicación para móviles con diversas configuraciones que permiten realizar las acciones de forma muy sencilla.

Guilherme Z.

"Mais fácil que google analytics e mixpanel"

What do you like best?

Gosto muito da facilidade com que os eventos sao trackeados, sem a necessidade de inclusão de tags ou ajustes em nossas plataformas. Esse é o ponto principal. Juntando isso com a facilidade de configurar a ferramenta, ficamos menos dependentes do Google Analytics e também não precisamos usar o Mixpanel

What do you dislike?

Algumas configurações de eventos exclusivos são complexas ou não é possível. Talvez mais facilidade nisso, permita "abandonar" o GA de vez.

Facilidade no track das informações em um painel que não exige conhecimento técnico para implementar. Facilidade na gestão das informações do negócio digital.

Reed J.

"The best analytics services we've found yet"

What do you like best?

Intuitive interface and smart event tracking makes this the most complete and easy to use analytics platform we've used. It's simple to create and track events and the cached data means you can see what's been happening before you realized you should be looking at it.

What do you dislike?

Seems like they have some internal alignment issues. We spent a few months going back and forth with a BDR who thought we weren't paying them (we wer'e) and was trying to 10x what we were paying for a marginal increase in utility in the product.

We can track all the activity of our users and get a better understanding of what's going on the platform. Our tech team also find the user tracking useful for identifying bugs.

User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Good feature set, UX and customer service."

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about Heap is how quick and easy it is to define events and get to analyzing the data. On top of this, the fact that the Event Visualizer has all historical data is a great feature.

What do you dislike?

The Event Visualizer can be a bit finicky and can require in-depth knowledge of the html/css on the page you are trying to define an event on.

The main problem that Heap solves for me is in allowing me to see what the most used functions are within a particular feature. On the flip side, it also shows me the least use functions. From here, I can optimize for the most used functions to ensure the best UX for my product as possible.

Noah H.

"Easy Integration with Lasting Benefits"

What do you like best?

Heap enables one to easily track how customers use one's applications on both the web and mobile. This data is crucial to informing product development and further enhancements. With its ability to easily define user events, one can easily detect how one can better optimize one's product to drive better retention and feature use.

What do you dislike?

Their analytics could be more user-friendly and ML could be used to give proactive feedback on user activities. This isn't crucial but would be immensely valuable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is certain to deliver valuable data regardless of how deeply you integrate it. Also, if you have investors or managers constantly requesting user metric data, this is an easy way to simplify the gathering and distribution of such information.

Discerning application and UX weak points, and driving better user retention. Another immensely useful feature is the retention graphs with the ability to even generate retention data for individual features. This reporting has helped improve investor relations and let us quantify our growth and progress with ease.

Learn more about Heap

Heap Videos

Learning about Heap?

* We monitor all Heap reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.