Highly scalable and provides modular solutions for implementing service based best practices across the enterprise. Initially focused on ITIL but it has expanded to include ITOM, ITSM, and ITBM functions. Further, it is an extremely robust platform with customization galore and full feature set.
In addition, the best in the business system architecture (fully redundant instances) HA Administration portal and ServiceNow support is a top notch. ServiceNow community is extremely active with Docs site (formerly wiki) well updated and complete.
Equally important, ServiceNow is ranked by Gartner as the #1 in the global market of digital service management platforms. Moreover, Service Now has harnessed the power of virtual assistants which is yet being explored by other companies.
I see it as follows:
1) Covers most of the ITSM process required in an organization
2) Platform allows development using latest web technologies and supports integration with 3rd party apps
3) ServiceNow Customer Support team is very much good at resolving any issues/tickets
4) Good application as SaaS and PaaS
5) Allows customizations to out of box script components and enhancements
6) ServiceNow CMDB is totally integrated to the main application of the ITSM side helping the support staff to any issues (requests, incidents, problems, or changes) to a particular CI previously registered in the CMDB
7) Building Dashboard for Customers is very easy and able to support Users with Customer Support is awesome
8) An excellent solution for SOX and other compliance monitoring solution
Their pricing model is a bit complex and it could be pricey. Further, since the product can become the core of so many areas of the enterprise, it can require quite a large investment in support resources and it requires these resources to understand SaaS management differences vs traditional application support development.
In addition, Security teams still could be facing challenges as well as Security Analysts often have to reach for same information already documented in the tickets. Maybe we need additional training.
Sometimes web pages load intermittently and some features are better served in one browser than the other. It may potentially require intense training to be given to non-technical staff for proper use of tool.
UI can be challenging and overwhelming at times as well along with Configuration and security are sometimes very difficult and need great effort. Sometimes attachments to replies within tickets do not get auto attached. Have had some issues with workflow scripting as it can be a bit complex.
There are a number of feature rich products available, freeware and commercial. As always, do your due diligence and make sure your selection meets your requirements and use case. Just because it worked well for us doesn't mean it will be the case for others. Do your homework.
Service ticket management, CMDB and workflows.