SolarWinds Service Desk Reviews & Product Details

SolarWinds Service Desk Overview

What is SolarWinds Service Desk?

SolarWinds Service Desk, previously Samanage Service Platform, is an award-winning, fully integrated cloud-based service desk and IT asset management solution. With thousands of highly rated reviews across many directories, SolarWinds Service Desk is one of the world’s premier IT service management platforms. Based on ITSM best practices to create a platform that is as usable as it is cutting-edge by incorporating automation, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to help streamline IT support services and empower employee self-service. SolarWinds Service Desk provides businesses of all sizes an easy to use and affordable ITSM solution that can easily scale as your technology infrastructure and business needs evolve.

SolarWinds Service Desk Details
Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, German, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Hebrew, Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Georgian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Albanian, Turkish, Chinese (Simplified), Fijian

SolarWinds Service Desk is an IT and Employee Service Management solution that helps you redefine employee service experiences in seamless, smart, and meaningful ways.

SolarWinds Service Desk is a cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) solution that empowers IT to streamline every aspect of service delivery and transform employee service experiences.

SolarWinds
1999
Austin, TX
@solarwinds
2,429 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

SolarWinds provides powerful and affordable IT management software to customers worldwide from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses.

SolarWinds Service Desk Videos

SolarWinds Service Desk Screenshots

SolarWinds Service Desk Downloads

SolarWinds Service Desk Reviews

Showing 635 SolarWinds Service Desk reviews
Already have SolarWinds Service Desk?
What do you like best?

Service Desk has a service catalog that is so simple to setup, yet extremely effective. They also have one of the most responsive customer support teams I have been around. I have thrown a variety of questions at them and they have always answered me within minutes, regardless of the nature of question. They have been transparent and honest about their product and that has been super helpful in guiding my users to solutions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The reporting function in Service Desk needs a good deal of rework, to include more reports. Another thought to consider is a BI function built into Service Desk or to create your own reports in a BI tool like Crystal Reports or Power BI. I firmly believe that this is something that can definitely be achieved by SolarWinds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you are aware of the reporting limitations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

One of the problems we are solving with service desk is knowledge base lacking. Our IT team is spread across nine states, so Service Desk's Knowledge base has been so helpful with helping us get information to everyone in a clear and concise manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The efficiency this has brought to our team is fantastic. Quicker resolution times, customer responses, custom states, categories, forms, this all helps.

Updating ticket status, category, assigned user can all be done from the Incident List page.

Potential for growth. This is a very scalable software, that we eventually plan on bringing on several other departments to use for requests as well.

Hosted product, so this does not take up any server space. Also, it is accessible form outside of our network.

Customizable, easy to create your user portal, custom categories, custom forms, fields, etc.

The discovery agent was pushed out by SCCM and we can assign primary users. This will allow us to identify systems that have required higher amount of maintenance, so we can look at replacing those systems before they cause any further problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can pick on is the Single Sign-On setup was a little more cumbersome than I would've like. It does however sync with Active Directory.

Honestly I would prefer to use the portal login page, but my company requires single sign-on. With that setup, it bypasses the login page.

Since implementing this, learning the permissions for different roles takes a little time, but the support for helping with this has been great.

There is nothing else that I have seen that would be considered a 'dislike'. This software is working great for our department and our organization as a whole. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a really easy to use IT Ticketing System, that can fill all your needs, you Really Need to look at this. It is super easy to use, reporting is great and all customizable. And this is very scalable and will be able to grow with your company! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest problem that we had before this was tickets or incidents not being documented. This was due to the previous software we used not being user friendly at all. We now have everything being documented, routed, SLA's being monitored. it's brought my department a very long way in documentation and reporting capabilities.

Reporting from our old system was very limited and inaccurate. This was due to limitations of the old software, and because a lot of stuff was not documented properly on our end. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in SolarWinds Service Desk
Network Administrator
What do you like best?

I really like how easy it is to install, upgrade and manage. We are now taking advantage of the ability to track our assets, along with expiration dates, followed up with notification e-mails! This really is a phenomenal product, and it costs pennies to purchase and maintain! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any negative point for this particular product. Solarwinds had taken the time to develop a great tool to assist the help desk function and beyond. Most of our tickets are handled remotely, which really helps during the COVID. I would compliment Service Desk with Dame Ware, I call that a smashing duo! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are considering any type of Help Desk / Service Desk software, give Solarwinds Service Desk a try! You can demo any Solarwinds product for 30 days and see if it fits your organizational needs. I got started with Demos of Solarwinds products, now I have the whole suite assisting my organization. Solarwinds is definitely the best bang for your buck! Every product is back by great support, and an amazing community called THWACK. Join the users group and you will never have to put in a support ticket! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have saved so much time using Solarwinds Service Desk. We have a knowledge base and have developed a great system for both user and technician. We document all business thru the Service Desk, so there are reporting matrix available for management. Like I said above in my dislikes, we compliment Service Desk with Dame Ware and fulfill over 80% of our tickets remotely. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Information Technology Service Desk
What do you like best?

Real-time, User Friendly. The social media vibe using the comment section and notification for communication makes it a lot easier to communicate and document the case. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Auto Refresh, it will help a lot. we are using 3rd party for the autorefresh. Yes, there's a notification that there's a new ticket but we still have to refresh in order to see it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Explore, There's a lot of features the system has to offer. No downtime so far and the support is fast and reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are resolving pretty much everything, from HR to Legal and especially IT. A centralized solution provides us faster and more liquid collaboration and resolution for every issue the company needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Manager
What do you like best?

Ease of deployment and use to our end users.

Ease of use for agent/s.

On-boarding was through and complete.

Users like the styling and availability of the new Service Desk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't show when another technician/service desk agent is viewing the same ticket.

Deployment of the Solarwinds Discovery Agent does not have a .msi file making it difficult to roll out across a internal network. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, it's easier than you might think and has everything you would need in a Service Desk product. It's also made getting all our users offsite and working from home during COVID much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Much quicker resolution time, Users are responding to communication more with our new Service Desk.

This service desk is more intuitive for our users and initial feed back has been very positive and well received. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ease of use, the clean interface. The entire solution is very easy to get setup yet still has the ability to be complex for those who need it to be.

Solarwinds Service Desk has a very intuitive automation system allowing vast control of every aspect of tickets, not to mention the control you can get with API use. By combining the internal automation and using API to setup custom automation through powershell, the system allows to you to control everything and do what you need it to do, when you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations like how much you can customize when notifications are sent or not sent. Also some areas don't get any notifications which is annoying.

The reporting is confusing and not straight forward. After a year of use and vendor training, we still don't quite understand how it works and just export our tickets into a CSV to do manually reporting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research, do a demo and make sure it is what you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Change management, incident management, release management, problem management, service catalog, transparency with the IT department and the business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Manager
What do you like best?

This is the best tool I came so far, that has an ability to provide transparent help desk services to the customers that focus on the end user. I did not face any issue in its installation and their customers support is very cooperative too. It has empowered me to answer the individual questions and also I can better handle the tickets, which has organized the daily queries for me. It is really working well for the alignment of my business process through its integrated support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have been using this tool for 2 years, the interface is not so appealing in terms of visualization, and it takes time to search the tasks, which is very inconvenient. Moreover it is working fine and providing excellent services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Companies which are looking for an efficient IT management tool, I would say it is the best tool which comes with most effective consequences. It will help you for the consistent process flow and the vendor management also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For me it is very useful tool. Through its trouble shoot managing features it is no more difficult for me to lose the tickets of course by solving the issues, so that problem management and the configuration changes would not be a headache. It is multi-functional tool with highly developed features. It is playing a vital role in our organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

My organization started our SolarWinds trial the day before we received Work From Home orders. Throughout the insanity, SolarWinds extended our trial significantly to allow us to deal with COVID while still testing the Service Desk product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish they were more forthcoming about the pricing structure. A lot of clarification was requested in terms of what features were included in each package, and what each package cost. The purchasing process was not smooth. Purchases are completed through a third party vendor. We were billed for the wrong package - WAY more expensive than the package we had requested. We aren't sure where the miscommunication happened, but it was frustrating to correct. Due to the incorrect billing, our customer success representative presented us with the services offered for the wrong package, so she had to back track and retract several service offers (they were out of scope). I found the package naming to be confusing as well - but that was probably because we were looking at other products that used the same tier names in a different order.

We had to spend a bit of time adjusting our vocabulary to follow the ITIL standards - we had never followed ITIL standards before we began working with SolarWinds. There are a couple of continuity issues with the terminology. For example: on the platform (backend) side, Knowledge Base articles are referred to as "Solutions," but on the user portal side they are referred to as "Knowledge Base Articles". Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to check out other products so your team has a good understanding of what's out there. Having a couple of different quotes on hand is helpful during the price negotiation process.

ALSO - you can import a lot of information in CSVs using their templates. I was not aware of that and ended up manually entering a significant amount of information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Originally we were using Spiceworks. Our Spiceworks server had served us well, but we had outgrown its offerings. SolarWinds is allowing us to work, communicate and inventory items in a far more efficient manner than Spiceworks. The biggest benefit to us is the Self Service portal - our users are now capable of attempting to fix the problem on their own using information in the Knowledge Base before they reach out to us. Additionally, the Service Catalog allows us to streamline and expedite the process of common/standard requests such as computer upgrades, software requests, and new employee tech provisioning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that SolarWinds Service Desk has the ability to host assets, tickets and create profiles for the service desk members, users and external clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Solar Winds Service Desk has many annoying things about it. First of all it is usually very slow to load regardless of the speed of your internet connection. Secondly, the search function is not very user-friendly and requires a lot of specialization to find the results you are actually looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would strongly recommend finding another cloud-based ITSM system. SolarWinds Service Desk is not the best solution and there are other systems that are faster, cheaper and more user-friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using SolarWinds Service Desk for our ITSM. It is not the best system we have used but it can log assets, IT tickets and a user database so it gets the job done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Danielle Livy of SolarWinds Service Desk

Thank you for this feedback we greatly appreciate it. Regarding the loading time, this is typically effected by your individual settings and browser. We'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this to ensure you are getting optimal load times! As for the search functionality, we have made enhancements to more Service Desk pages in order to allow searching across these pages and filtering text fields not matching a term. Please reach out to our support team for any additional assistance at support@samanage.com or you can call us at 1-888-250-8971.

See how SolarWinds Service Desk improved
Account Manager
What do you like best?

This tool has helped me a lot in managing the technical issues that were related to my IT system in the organization. Through this software it is very easy for me to tackle and manage the unwanted incidents that could be a hurdle in the supply of continuous services to my customers. Through one channel now I can handle the working of the numerous desktops and through its features of employee service management, it has opened new ways for me to handle employs queries so that, they can work with consistency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It lacks much integration which could be helpful in sharing the cloud base data files. In addition the pricing policy is very much high due to which it is not widely available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is highly recommended for the large business set ups and those which are dealing with customers services, it will help you to collaborate you team and within a loop you can better tackle the everyday problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Through this software I am capable of providing the knowledge based services to my employees so that they can have the detail idea about how to many the basic issues. The most important think I like about this tool is that it has enabled me to teach my team members how to manage the things their won, by providing the tutorials and step by step guidance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use and visibility. When setup to service your clients, it's a very easy to use ticketing system. Setup in almost a spreadsheet like view, tickets are easy to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the reporting needs to be easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product for incident management. Easy to use and lots of reporting options including bar graph and pie charts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ticket tracking as well as areas of more need. Being able to build reports designed to automate operations and solve problems globally. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

I was pleased with the SolarWinds Rep during the initial request for information. The Rep was very professional and attentive to the needs that ServiceDesk will solve for the company. I like that SolarWinds allows a free trial of the product before purchasing to get a real feel of how it works and it's capabilities. The support of the onboarding staff is unmatched, they provide you with plan, many information sources, and excellent customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not necessarily a dislike, but getting confused as where a particular feature is when performing the initial setup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Constantly updating Excel worksheets to track inventory and changes. Having a central location for IT request for the IT team, rather than combing through emails. I'm confident that our change management will be nearly flawless for our SOC2 audit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is very good, it has given the possibility to monitor every IT management without exhausting people or intellectual resources very often. I can maintain a high margin of server development or incredible network performance. SolarWinds has optimal database performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

SolarWinds has so far given a very important lesson for me, I definitely like the way it is built. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It works very well and excellent, I have been able to demonstrate the scope we need with the software. Its price is much better and it has a formidable quality in each of its tools. SolarWinds will definitely help you manage every process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use SolarWinds to complement our internal management, with the external incorporation of different quality managers for network performance or monitoring. It has been a software compatible with the company's planning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

There are many benefits to using this. We have finally setup the purchasing part of this and I am in love! The custom forms are very nice! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When going to some pages, it can load really slow. They have broken some custom fields with their updates. So we would have to go back and update our custom fields to get them to work properly again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When setting this product up to your liking, I highly recommend to take your time and go through with a fine tooth comb. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were in dire need of some ticketing system, as we were using outlook tasks for IT problems. Now we have the option to track each techs time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

I like it for managing our service tickets. For our team of three, it is a great way to track, update, and assign priority to issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish we could tailor it a little bit more to our exact needs. it seems like more of a "here it is" type of product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it for issue management. We can see each other's tickets and help out if necessary. It is also good to use for problem history. We can't document everything we do, so sometimes we use it to problem solve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to navigate and how we can customize reports to best suit our needs. We are also digging deeper into the inventory tracking and I'm excited to see what it has to offer. The reports that we export are also extremely helpful. We are able to see what person specializes most in what type of ticket. We also have split out the level of tickets so that our more advanced team members can tackle them and the newer team members aren't overwhelmed. I also like how it references similar tickets for easy reference to see how you fixed an issue previously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how many clicks there are/the process to get from an incident to a problem to a release. I wish there was a way to see all related issues grouped together. We also attach releases and I have a hard time remembering to do that so I almost wish there was a reminder before closing a ticket/change to attach everything before closing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think it is a great ticketing service. There is a lot it has to offer and I don't even think we use it all within our company. It is easy to train others on and communication within tickets is simple. If a ticket needs escalated to a problem or change, it can easily be done. I do think the way this is viewed could be different, but it's still manageable. We are also looking to use this as an inventory tracker. It will allow us to register every computer and all accessories. We can also keep employee information. This will help us immensely by keeping all of our data in one spot, rather than multiple spreadsheets saved elsewhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to see where we are needed most and what issues are most comment. We have also exported tickets to google docs which have been extremely beneficial to help us prioritize. Other departments have found this very beneficial because our IT department is able to focus on what needs done first - and all the other departments are able to see what we are working on and how it may benefit them or impact the company as a whole. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I enjoy the organizational aspect found in samanage such as the notifications, history of the discussion related to the original issue, and the approval process. I also think the reporting tool is very neat in assessing certain analytics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how the tabs moved to the bottom, I thought it was more user friendly on the side where it was before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are wanting an organized and effective way to communicate issues between you and your clients, I recommend looking into Solar Winds Service Desk. It sends email notifications between the two parties, keeps history of every thing, and offers an analytical tool for each IT user. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving things from 'upload this document' to 'this report is broken' . It is beneficial that you can attach multiple documents to almost anything. It keeps history of everything completed so the less common errors, I can go and look at how they were resolved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AB
What do you like best?

The ease of creating automated workflow processes allows for efficiencies to be created and reduction of mundane manual inputs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

the reporting could always be better, out of the box reports could be improved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This platform is easy to use, intuitive to setup, roll out and administer. The open rest api is able to integrate with most anything and support is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have encountered some problems with the product but the support team is very prompt in responding with an answer or escalating to the engineers. The benefits are many including better tracking of SLA breaches and CSAT. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

The product is very easy to use. We migrated from a very complex, antiquated, on-premise system. We were able to import the assets a and other items into SWSD. The interface is VERY customizable. We found that creating our custom forms, service catalog and change catalog was a straight forward process. We opted to standup different modules overtime to make the migration easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The process to import assets, hardware, and other items can be very difficult. We had our data in CSV format. The process of using RUBY and the API was not user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The goal was to have an ITIL service desk that could replace our current system. Our requirements were very specific. SQSD met all the requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.