PagerDuty

PagerDuty is an end-to-end incident management and response platform that provides developers, IT operations, and business stakeholders the insights they need to resolve and prevent business-impacting incidents quickly. PagerDuty makes it easy to monitor your infrastructure, set up on-call schedules, establish escalation policies, create automated workflows, and alert the right people at the right time.

Work for PagerDuty?

Learning about PagerDuty?

PagerDuty Reviews

Ask PagerDuty a Question
Showing 437 PagerDuty reviews
PagerDuty review by Larry E.
Larry E.

"No Surprises!"

What do you like best?

Pagerduty has kept our low, medium to critical part of our network monitored. We are notified on this order so Engineers and administrator can resolved issues depending on critical level. This provides our engineers and administrators have their family time and weekends not on hold when low and medium alerts arises.

What do you dislike?

I don't see any down side. This is a well thought of service. All bases are covered, if you miss an alert you can setup safety nets, back up phones, emails and then finally the alert can be handoff to the next engineer and so on.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are on the fence - I hope this move you over the hump. This has made our oncall life easy. our oncall personnel now have a life enjoying their family, watching a movie, play ball and watch their kids events because of Pagerduty. A must have on your team.

Network issues, websites, backups, helpdesk tickets, failures in the system, you name it Pagerduty can be integrated to it.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about PagerDuty
PagerDuty review by Dawud B.
Dawud B.

"My PagerDuty Experience"

What do you like best?

1)Phone app is very useful for creating, & responding to incidents and engaging on call team.

2)Community site is helpful when looking for general feedback

3)Examples are pretty good on the Pagerduty website

4)alerts are simple to read and understand.

What do you dislike?

1)on call schedule is a little difficult to read from a cell phone

2) Would like to see the "before I go on call" feature exposed on a team or escalation policy level. So, rather than specifying or reminding a specific user, why not expose this, and set a reminder for the entire on call team.

3)would like to see a "follow the sun" schedule example, as this is a common request for companies with team in other geos.

4)PagerDuty gives a user the ability to be added without specifying a phone number? (: It shouldn't.

Meaning, someone can be on call, and no phone number is listed.

5)would like to ability re-organize layers.

- if a layer is removed, it does not give user the option to add the back without the information

1) incident management

2)monitoring & alerts of IT infrastructure

3)intergration with ServiceNow is great! being able to generate incidents for alerts, is helpful for tracking issues.

What Incident Management solution do you use?

PagerDuty review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"Keeps us on top of operations"

What do you like best?

We are able to trigger alerts, keep on top of them and compare with prior alerts to manage our systems and our client's systems. It's easy to separate critical blocker level errors with items that need attention but that doesn't need attention on a 24/7 basis.

What do you dislike?

As much as we love PagerDuty, we hate when we see the name come through because it means that something has been triggered and needs our attentions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're already using a similar service, mirror some of the alerting with it to compare the ease of use and the integrations. If you're new to a service like this, and if you have anything running on the Internet, you should be using this. Period.

We take a proactive approach to operations instead of a reactive approach. Long gone are the days of clients telling us something is wrong. We monitor typical failure points along with application specific items and metrics to provide a smooth experience for our clients and their clients.

PagerDuty review by G Gordon W.
G Gordon W.

"Always notifies me of issues"

What do you like best?

PagerDuty does its main job really well: notifying me of alerts. I have a team of several engineers who are in various on call rotations and I trust PagerDuty completely to alert us if our systems fire off an alert to PagerDuty. The only times I've ever failed to get a notification from them it was because I had problems with cell networks.

What do you dislike?

All the extra stuff. PagerDuty is trying to be a bigger platform and do things other than delivering messages. I'd really love it if they spent more time focusing on core features, like richer on call rotation features and smarter incident identification from alerts, and less time on AI and other nice-to-haves that are not reasons why I use PagerDuty.

Make sure everyone who needs to know gets notified when there is a problem with our services.

PagerDuty review by Chris F.
Chris F.

"The core of our operational support processes"

What do you like best?

The flexibility of the platform to meet a variety of alerting use cases across our business.

The UX is clean and relatively easy to follow even for what is a kind of complex and feature rich system.

The ability of the system to reduce the noise for incident responders.

The simple setup of automated escalation policies.

The mobile app.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot to be honest - I'd like more flexibility in the Response Plays feature (one click multi-step actions you can run) to all

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take a moment to think about event & incident flows, and the taxonomy of your services. A little bit of time upfront can save a fair bit of frustration and rework once you know more.

PagerDuty lets us provide 24x7 support coverage without having the scale required to run a fully staffed 24x7 NOC. It ensures that we are on top of incidents before they are reported to us by customers, leading to increased customer satisfaction.

PagerDuty review by David V.
David V.

"Reliable, easy to use service"

What do you like best?

I really like three things. First is the ability to set up on-call schedules that will automatically call the appropriate person. I also like the automatic escalation, in case a call gets missed. Finally, I like that it works on standard cell phones, no need to have separate paging devices.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislikes. I am much happier with PagerDuty that I was with my old paging company.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have found PagerDuty to be very reliable. We have not missed a service call since we started using PagerDuty.

Prior to using PagerDuty we would miss support calls from time-to-time. Since we started using PagerDuty we have not missed a single support call in the 6 years we have used PagerDuty.

PagerDuty review by Kyle B.
Kyle B.

"The best solution to trigger a panic attack"

What do you like best?

Schedules and over rides are simple and easy to configure as well as when, where and how the alters make it to your device, desktop or team

What do you dislike?

I would love to see a way to create multiple maintainance windows with the same criteria. Right now it has to be done for each day individually

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product. I am not privy to pricing, but this is a top rate solution. Best solution to trigger panic attacks

We have a fairly complex echo system that requires the ability get the right people involved quickly. We have made incidents more easily tracked as well as provided an extra level of transparency. Timeliness are easier to find and gaps are easily identified

PagerDuty review by Gordon S.
Gordon S.

"Quality service that is reliable and easy to use."

What do you like best?

Pager duty is a very configurable service providing complex escalation rules, staff on call scheduling, direct interfacing to some systems and is very straightforward to setup and use. The phone app is well designed and easy to use as well. There are also good analytics for tracking alert frequencies and staff responses.

What do you dislike?

This service has met all of my criteria and I don't have anything that I can specify that I dislike about the product.

With running a complex IT configuration with minimal staff, I am able to be aware of any critical issues happening in my environment typically before it is reported by users. It also ensures that I am aware of issues occurring during non-business hours.

PagerDuty review by Raziedo T.
Raziedo T.

"Best Experience!"

What do you like best?

I'd like the dashboard looks, simple and basic to navigate, great on-line chat/email support and has documentation on-line that you can refer. It is simply the best scheduling tool for IT professionals. Keep it up PagerDuty Team.

What do you dislike?

I haven't find to dislike the product as it is great tool that we are currently have, it makes our support more responsive than before, business is happy when things get fix in timely manner.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it might be useful to have one of this tool that will help you to achieve your business agility when it comes to support.

Mostly incidents and IT issues, it just works when you need someone to get page the right resources that you need.

PagerDuty review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"The Gold Standard in On-Call Alerting"

What do you like best?

Pagerduty is stable, feature-rich, and dependable. All of our other monitoring services have direct integrations with pagerduty, and there's great things like the ability to page through Slack or Email which are crucial for our workflows.

What do you dislike?

Pagerduty's API is incredibly cryptic until you've gotten a hold of the ideas. More/better documentation could help, third-party libraries also fill in a lot of the blanks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it, it's 100% worth it and solves our on-call alerting needs. We've not ever been impacted by an outage (though like any service, they've had some, they're short and information is quickly shared).

We use PagerDuty to alert on-call engineers about incidents so that they can respond 24/7 to keep our system online. Event rollups and integrations are crucial to keeping the false-alert volume low.

PagerDuty review by Brian B.
Brian B.

"Great tool for alerting"

What do you like best?

The integrations with other platforms make it extremely useful; we use it with New Relic, and also with their generic e-mail integration that allows other monitors to send alerts to a custom email address to trigger an alert. The ability to send voice alerts is very useful for us, as is the mobile app (we use it to check and update the status of an incident when there is one ongoing).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes alert resolutions are delayed, or alerts are queued in a way that i get a second alert about the same issue, despite the fact that I already marked it as resolved. It's a minor issue but it could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It seems very simple but it is a very effective tool; it works as advertised and gets the job done.

Pager Duty helps ensure that if our platform experiences an outage or other incident that we get notified about it immediately.

PagerDuty review by Jefferson R.
Jefferson R.

"Amazing Pager Duty"

What do you like best?

I really like the way that I can schedule a on call rotation schedule and the Pager Duty automatically call my colleagues . Thera are a lot of integration with Slack and service now tool that we already did. I really would like to integrate the pager duty with Jira to create stories cards automatically. We integrate the Pager Duty in slack, so we can pager anyone using our slack channel.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the possibility to integrate Pager Duty into Jira Kanban Tool, so this automation could create a story and facilitate our life.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

PLease, consider to integrate Jira and Pager Duty to create stories when we are called.

All Incidents are automatically paged by PagerDuty. We can save time and costs because we don't need an employee working in a different shifts. We don't need operational center to monitoring our work queue. All call is made automatically without human intervention.

PagerDuty review by Stefanie F.
Stefanie F.

"Reliable and lots of useful features"

What do you like best?

Pager Duty is the best alert management solution I've encountered in my 11 years of on-call work. I love that I can just subscribe to a calendar feed and it will automatically keep me updated with my various on-call schedules. And if I don't hear my phone buzz initially, Pager Duty can call me to get my attention.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I can't think of anything I don't like about it. It costs money, but it's better than anything I could build and manage on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. If you're like me, you'll never go back to self-hosted alerting solutions.

We need to be able to reliably cover every timezone and we have multiple types of on-call responsibilities that need to be covered constantly. Pager Duty's scheduling layers are really useful for follow-the-sun coverage, so I can easily share my on-call with a colleague in a different timezone. And as an end-user, it gives me a simple view into my personal on-call schedule, automatically sync'd to my calendar.

PagerDuty review by Umur C.
Umur C.

"Complete incident management tool, with various integrations, all as SaaS."

What do you like best?

I guess, what I like about PagerDuty is because since they are one of the first SaaS Incident Management and IT Alerting tool, they are almost integrated with any other open source and proprietary tool on the DevOps universe. You can choose your stack freely, without concerning about the alerting integrations.

What do you dislike?

The tool is just a bit pricey compared to the competition and in between offered plans. Organizing the shift table is somewhat frustrating, whenever there is an employee circulation in the teams responsible, we are getting a bit nervous about not breaking the current chain of shifts while making the appropriate changes.

PagerDuty helps us realize and solve problems that we can not acknowledge quickly without. Sometimes you can miss your SMS or Email alerts, because maybe you are in a theatre or sleeping or your teammate couldn't acknowledge an incident on time, etc.. So, things bounce forward to interested parties depending on the services that is offered. You simply can't miss anything with this tool if it is properly configured.

PagerDuty review by User

"Great product with a few quirks"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that it just works..

We integrate PD(thats what we call Pagerduty) with service now and though there are few glitches in it, it works for the most part and more than anything it just works and serves the purpose.

I loved it when the TV show Silicon Valley mentions about Pagerduty :) It was amazeballs.

And the number of alerting channels such as phone, sms and email and everything that is there so that we dont miss the alert is awesome.

What do you dislike?

I don't like it when it wakes my up at 4 AM in the morning. lol. JK.

its not that I dont like this.. but it would have been a good thing to have the way to test the integrations. In case of AWS integration, we had a trouble checking if the webhook was invoked or not. Would be good to have some logs to see them, or is it something thats there.. but I am not aware of?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a great tool that makes your life very easy, be it a dev or a systems guy or a admin.

Its great to know immediately that your servers have gone kaput in prod the moment something goes wrong.

PagerDuty review by Mike H.
Mike H.

"PagerDuty: Always There"

What do you like best?

PagerDuty's app is cleanly designed, easy to use, and reasonably complete. The notifications arrive on-time and accurately relay the triggered alert. The UI is sleek, pleasant to look at and right to-the-point. The app rarely, if ever crashes or exhibits reliability problems - a good characteristic to have in a monitoring app. It's a nice warm-and-fuzzy feeling that really helps when you're on-call.

What do you dislike?

PagerDuty's buttons for snoozing and acknowledging alerts overlap. The schedule interface doesn't show what I want to see first - a monthly schedule that looks like a calendar page that shows on-call rotations. I'd like the current list format to stay available for more complex schedules, but I think the default should be something more recognizable and easy to compare with other calendars.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Organize your alerts well. Only alert on actionable items.

I no longer have to sort through email, chat backlogs, or write custom tooling to get statistics or information about a given page. PagerDuty has helped us reduce our mean time to response (MTTR) and provide more reliable services by reliably delivering alerts. Organizing and summarizing alerts can be difficult and while PagerDuty does a lot to make this easier, there are some ways I want to query alert history that aren't easily possible without hitting the API. The API could be a bit more consumer focussed and concise. It should be super easy to query for who's on call for a given team and for a given service.

PagerDuty review by Michele L.
Michele L.

"Great for escalating and managing schedules "

What do you like best?

I love the feature that allows me to easily define a follow the sun schedule that keeps my team from having to wake up when there's someone already in an office somewhere, and keeps me from having to manage the schedule at all as it rotates. The team can override and swap as they please and i get a clear view of whose on at any time.

What do you dislike?

waking up for no good reason! Waterfall alerts where you get a billion alerts for the same underlying issue. Not being alerted when someone forgets to turn alerts back on after maintenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The support team are great and there is a lot of knowledge that they can help with when setting up your systems. Also, there is a lot of help articles. Its worth reading up before you implement as you will be able to benefit from a better setup

We have completely eliminated call-outs during business hours, using follow the sun. As operations manager I can quickly identify my most painful and reoccurring incidents using the new operational review Analytics feature, which has allowed me to show the benefit of investing development time to fix issues that hurt the on-call teams

PagerDuty review by Paul F.
Paul F.

"Almost as awesome as the Lego Movie"

What do you like best?

You can manage your alerts from web or via the phone application. The presentation is fairly straightforward and simple to use, particularly for those late night annoyance pages and half-awake moments fumbling for the phone. The history is easy to find if there are any questions about when a page occurred and who got it. The automated notification of when you go oncall and offcall is just as it should be with no messing about with forwarding another phone number and/or emails. Swapping oncall is easily done for any time frame. Excellent design overall.

What do you dislike?

Finding past oncall dates is less than intuitive. And there is always a wish there was a greater variety of builtin sound choices (foghorn, sonar, whispers, meow, and of course Hells Bells) The largest issue is that there have been problems with the functioning of the phone application on Google Pixel phones for multiple team members. The most common issue is for the phone application to not recognize a pressed button after answering the call. This causes much grief as the call or page then rolls through to the next level. It is unclear what causes the issue or what an absolute fix is for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

PagerDuty has a great product with a strong focus and is both simple to use and easy to integrate with.

The pager duty reports have helped management better realize the amount of off-hours activities and the built in escalation procedures have helped other groups with lax standards or weak alerting programs step up to better quality. In particular, because of how well pagerduty manages alerts, groups who write their own monitors now have a better way to interface than using emails or other kludges.

PagerDuty review by Justin W.
Justin W.

"So far so good"

What do you like best?

We have several different types of monitors / integrations that we use and they all work very well from the pager duty side.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how not all features available to the web ui are available via the app. For example, I do not know how to set maintenance windows from the app. I acknowledge that the app can never be feature complete to the web ui. But those particular features would be very handy to do

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look for integrations with productions that you already use. More than likely, there is some form of integration that can happen to make the product immediately viable.

We have monitoring on our production servers via an integration with a long aggregation tool. We also have monitors on external calls via a 3rd party SAS service that informs us when our site does not respond. Having the ability to integrate to multiple sources of monitoring and alert from one service is very handy.

PagerDuty review by Luke S.
Luke S.

"PagerDuty at Climate"

What do you like best?

I love the iOS app. One of the most used features at Climate is the multiple accounts. We share a device for on-call support rotation, and it's nice to have my account already there. Most settings are available on the mobile app, which is a plus as well.

What do you dislike?

The web interface is slightly clunky. When removing access, there are several links to projects, on-call schedules, etc., which makes it difficult to remove one person. I understand the need, however, there should be an option to force removal, especially if the user is the only one on a schedule. Something like, "Are you sure? This will remove ____"

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When removing a user, there should be an option to force removal, especially if the user is the only one on a schedule. Something like, "Are you sure? This will remove ____"

We like the notification options; phone call, SMS, and app. This helps us resolve issues quickly, and alert team members easily. The Slack integration is also amazing; super useful.

PagerDuty review by John A.
John A.

"Pagerduty is very flexible and simple to use"

What do you like best?

The UI is fairly intuitive and there is a ton of documentation to help complete common tasks. One of my favorite features is that each person can customize how and when they are notified to what works better for their situation.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can think of is the PD phone apps (both iphone and android) have notification volume issues. I use an android phone, and I often find that after a PD alert notifies me, my notification volume is at full blast afterwards. This happens on my Samsung Note 9 as well as S8+.

Other team members with Iphones have said they can't figure out how to get notifications in the middle of the night when do not disturb is enabled, and it causes them to not hear alerts in the middle of the night.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There's no point in looking at any other service for on call management. Pagerduty beats them all easily.

Easily get alerted to issues with our AWS infrastructure. The API is helpful for us when we need a custom solution to trigger alerts.

PagerDuty review by Roman T.
Roman T.

"Tech start up standard in on-call and alerting"

What do you like best?

PagerDuty has simple but great alerting mechanisms for managing on-call. You can set schedules and different policies. Slack integration is great and is primary how we interact with the service. It also works with pretty much any third party service to hook into alerting - we have yet to run into any issues there. You can even create simple custom integrations for your in-house alerting using their APIs.

What do you dislike?

The core concepts are still blurry, or too techy in my opinion. The debate for what is a service goes on and on. What really is a service? What is an integration? What is an extension? To this day I can't answer these clearly. It just needs to be simplified with human/business speak.

If you are having an outage on your product, it can be difficult to manage alerts, and can get very overwhelming actually. Apart from just muting things completely, we haven't had a great solution.

Manages our on-call scheduling and alerting 24/7.

PagerDuty review by Sandeep K.
Sandeep K.

"Best Alerting machanism"

What do you like best?

Communication: it's so robust that you wont miss any single alert.

Issue details: It's easy to integrate with the product so it can send the issues details as clear as we want.

Escalation policy: Issue can be look up in seconds as this has a robust policy like escalation hierarchy that engages people to look into the issue very promptly.

What do you dislike?

it alerts the users but doesn't deliver the message properly.. It just reads out the issue details or error messages reported in plain text to speech way and it annoys me every time when I receive a call. I would like to see it more smarter to tell the description smartly so it can be resolved without looking into the issue for more details or etc.

I do not see it updated the UI in long time that's a good to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I couldn't think of any other service name when it comes to alerting mechanism. I would recommend you to try it out to see the better results.

Production issues are solved or take up immediately on a priority basis.

It can be configured to send to multiple audience so it can reach to right audience.

Immediate resolution of issues that were serious and impacting the customers as well as businesses.

Rotation policy is very useful that it automatically contacts the people who are on current rotation for 24/7 support and it's very useful.

PagerDuty review by Nishtha W.
Nishtha W.

"Amazing experience"

What do you like best?

Amazing experience with Pagerduty. One of the best tool I have ever used for incident response. The alerting system and the escalation policy is the best. I also like the way we can resolve any issue with the phone call we get during escalation.

It's easy to use, you can create your team, add members, add services under your team and then create escalation policy as well. You can easily schedule the on-call schedule. It's easy to move services from one team to another as well.

Overall an amazing experience, and I highly recommend this to any company that want immediate alerting for their services.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing bad in Pagerduty. My experience is amazing so far, and there is nothing which I dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommended

There are following benefits:

1. The rotation of shifts.

2. Automatic escalations of any incident

3. Phone calls as well as mail for tracking

4. We can create escalation policy for almost everything we need and as per our requirement.

5. Easy resolution of any false alerts by phone

6. Easy escalation of any serious incident.

We are using pagerduty to monitor our services/servers and their health check as well. As soon as our server or service goes down for any reason, we get an alert, which helps us to quickly identify the problem and resolve it. Which makes it even better because with alerting we prevent any kind of outages or monetary loss.

PagerDuty review by Andy D.
Andy D.

"Life Changing"

What do you like best?

The ability to send low and high priority alerts to the teams that need to know about an incident. having low level alerts gives us to the visibility we need, but doesn't wake us up in the middle of the night.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was aggregation and correlation. Meaning, dont alert that there is a system with high CPU, and then later alert that a health check is failing.. Alert me that a health check is failing due to high CPU...

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This tool is the flagship incident management alerting platform. There really isn't anything you can get with competitors solutions that you can't get with PagerDuty. Just remember the greatest thing about this product as that with this, you wont get woken up in the middle of the night due to minor issues.

Our team now works a 9-5 work day. We have confidence that pagerduty will let us know if there is something we truly need to attend to.

PagerDuty review by Mark F.
Mark F.

"The quickest and easiest way to set your team up on alerting. "

What do you like best?

PagerDuty's web interface is designed for ease of use, and quick onboarding. It's well known and reliable, the console is intuitive, and in my opinion is the king of incident response systems. Once I was given access to the console, it took less than 20 minutes for me to configure all the alerts I wanted for all my devices, learn how to navigate the system and administrate the system if necessary.

What do you dislike?

The robotic voice that calls could be less cold and dry sounding. The interface could be more visually appealing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at all the features during your trial period. Sometimes when you feel like you won't be using a specific attribute of PagerDuty, you end up doing so and in so doing you increase the ROI on your subscription.

It just does what it says, period. Put in the legwork in integrating your monitoring systems and alerting on PagerDuty and you will be notified based on your events, anytime, anywhere.

"Simple and Reliable"

What do you like best?

I like that PagerDuty allows you to use as many, or as few, features as you need to get the job done. They do not force new features on you nor do they try to pressure you into spending more money. The software just works, and is easy for us to integrate with all of our systems. I also enjoy that they have such an open API, we have built custom tooling around the API which has helped us greatly.

What do you dislike?

I wish the on-call scheduling was a little more robust. It's great, but would be much better if I could apply rules like "nobody should be on call for more than two consecutive days".

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the free trial and make sure you fully explore/understand the scheduling system, it is very powerful.

Managing who is on-call without having to remember to "pass" the pager to someone. We used to have paging software that relied on us moving the current on-call team member into an Active Directory group. With PagerDuty we manage everything through the pager duty website. That alone has gotten around a lot of the strange on-call rotation issues we had in the past, like only flipping the pager to a new team member when everyone was online.

PagerDuty review by Administrator

"Pagerduty is a critical tool for us"

What do you like best?

The capability to integrate with many third party tools such as Slack, Icinga, Grafana, Anodot and many others. This allows us to connect and alert in a timely manner when issues appear

What do you dislike?

For the integration keys, seem to need to be attached to an existing user, so actions with that token will be done in name of that user, this is good but not perfect for cases when you need to build bots or similar and not attached directly to an user.

Also, I would like a way to search for incident without having to use the API, that would make our lives much easier

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely give it a try, if you are managing many resources and production is dead critical for you you definitely should consider

For SRE alerting, PagerDuty is critical, it allows us to make escalation for specific teams and set up comprehensible on call hours for our engineers.

PagerDuty review by Administrator

"Comprehensive and simple to use"

What do you like best?

Scheduling and escalation policies make it really easy to manage the whole team and rules for how issues must be dealt with on a regular basis. On top of that, overrides make it a breeze to plan out for vacations, leaves or one-off times to change those rules (like when someone that is not on-call is doing some critical work)

What do you dislike?

They keep adding features that are behind a bigger paywall. Definitely not a deal-breaker for what we are currently using it for and completely understandable (I want them to be around for a long time, and that means they have to make money).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check that your existing systems you use have a PagerDuty integration or plugin so that you don't have to think and manage that separately.

Handling all issues in our systems in a very clear and concise way. It removes the need to have a NOC with a spreadsheet and contact information for whoever is on-call at any given point. You can even use a dedicated e-mail so that anyone can wake-up the on-call at any given time if they feel it is warranted.

PagerDuty review by Deirra J.
Deirra J.

"Pagerduty is Great"

What do you like best?

Pagerduty integrates easily with various network monitoring software and provides us with the ability to be responsive reducing down time. The dashboard is simply and easy to navigate, providing a single pane of glass for you to see what's going on in the network. Configuring schedules is also straightforward and provide flexibility to be as granular as you need.

What do you dislike?

Well there is an extensive documentation library to help you get started, the tool can be a bit difficult to learn. In my experience, once you are past the initial curve, customization and configuration is a breeze. I'd also add that the API and Notification outages are an issue. These outages have been rare but it's a good idea to sign up for alerts from the PagerDuty support site to get alerted so that you are able to notify your team if alerts are impacted.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd recommend ensure that your alerts within your monitor systems are simplified but detailed. Pagerduty does a wonderful job of sending alerts as needed but you want to make sure you are receiving quality alerts. I'd also recommend taking the time to learn the tool. As I mentioned above, PD offers a high level of customization, take the time to review documentation and play around with the tool before going on call officially.

The major benefit is reduction in downtime. Teams are able to be more responsive to outages whereas in the past, notification emails from our monitoring systems may have gone unnoticed. This allow us to maintain a high SLA and resolve issues in a timely manner.

PagerDuty review by Diego V.
Diego V.

"Amazingly useful tool to handle emergency broadcasts"

What do you like best?

Pagerduty allows you to divide people into separate groups, so that if the severity incident is something related to a specific group, it is not necessary to trigger it for everyone. It also allows for escalation and "on-call" duties per week - this is extremely useful, as nowadays our helpdesk team does not even need to call us personally, since Pagerduty handles everything on its own and always knows who's on call.

What do you dislike?

I don't think this is entirely related to Pager Duty in itself, but to our own current infrastructure. The alert emails seem to be sent out to everyone (included the pager duty account, which triggers pager duty in itself). Thus, any subsequent email in the email chain may end up creating a different alert for pager duty.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set everything up correctly from the start! Consider the type of alerts you need. For myself, it is extremely useful to set ALL alerts (SMS, Calls, Email), as it may be easier for me to look at my phone if everything's going haywire.

Our company provides a high availability solution for our customer. Pager Duty allows us to get all necessary hands as quickly as possible whenever an issue arises. This has also leveraged our helpdesk team's need to call development, DBA, etc, on their own, as they may sometimes not know entirely who's on call. Triggering an alert on pager duty is more than enough.

As a member of the dev group, if you get an alert and you are on call but not available, it is easy to escalate to the next dev on the line - without having to personally call them.

PagerDuty review by Elliot F.
Elliot F.

"Simple to set up, awesome integrations, and just works"

What do you like best?

PagerDuty enables your team to setup alerts, on call schedules, escalation paths, run books, and everything you could need to provide themselves with meaningful realtime alerting. Most service offer some way to integrate with PagerDuty, and if they do not you can use their REST API to integrate on your own. Having the ability to be alerted via text, phone, slack, web app, desktop app, chrome plugin, etc. is invaluable when on call.

What do you dislike?

Not much. Make sure when you are doing work you set up maintenance windows so you do not accidentally spam your team. Also make sure you have a way to auto resolve probes if they fail or else you may see your voicemail inbox get filled up pretty quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you setup maintenance windows and that your integrations support auto resolve. It is nice to not have to do something because an alert was updated due to it already fixing itself. Take some time to set up run books for people who are on call. You can link the run book urls right in the body of the alert so your team can take the appropriate action.

Being on call is not easy, but with PagerDuty you can empower your team to set up sensible alerts and react to them when they are triggered. It also helps teams mature as once you support your own software you become more aware of what kinds of important issues exist and need to be solved.

"PagerDuty works great!"

What do you like best?

The escalation features have been best for us. We have an agent on call, but they frequently aren't near their phone and so they've missed the initial alert. It also allows our agents to have better work-life balance, as they don't need to constantly monitor our CRM software for tickets that come in during off hours.

What do you dislike?

Some team members have complained that they constantly get alerts. They might just be doing it wrong...

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We had Pager Duty when I started - but it's been great! We had an "outage" because of a chance in our CRM and our visibility of cases simply disappeared. Once we got Pager Duty back, we got our visibility again and things were back to normal.

We use PagerDuty to notify agents of software issues during off hours and weekends. It has given us visibility on cases and allowed agents to have better work-life balance

PagerDuty review by Peter Bak P.
Peter Bak P.

"Easy and intuitive to use"

What do you like best?

We have many different monitoring and alert systems, but it is very easy to send it all to pagerduty and then our technicians only have one app that notifies them of any kind of problem. The app is very intuitive and easy to use, which is important when you get alerts in the middle of the night.

What do you dislike?

I have a few issues with the filtering rules on alerts on the web interface - but it could just be me using it wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it - I haven't heard any complaints from my colleagues using the system since we got it.

Instead of getting alerts from SolarWinds, Splunk, SAP Solution Manager, Zabbix and different kinds of SMTP alerts from some components - we are getting everything in one place. And the customization possibilities for how you want to be notified of an alert is great.

PagerDuty review by Pulkit D.
Pulkit D.

"it has been satisfactory"

What do you like best?

the fact you can automatically trigger calls, SMS and email based on a event from one of the systems you're using. It takes the burden of constantly checking in on these systems off of your shoulders and you can safely rely on pagerduty for this.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to get used to the UI but once you've navigated it a couple time, it is ok.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely, give it is try. Its easy to setup and use. And having a reliable incident management system such as pager duty helps to enhance the business processes.

We're using it as a Incident management system. Every time there is an incident of highest or high priority, we get messages via pager duty. And now we do not miss any incident and the appointed engineer on call is readily made aware of the situation.

PagerDuty review by Administrator

"Pager Duty always performs how we expect"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to integrate with many different services and create custom endpoints along with the custom on call schedules.

What do you dislike?

One thing I dislike is there needs to be a more robust way to create rules of how our testing environment notifies us when something goes south after hours. We don't want to be woken up at 2:30AM in the morning for this since it's only testing. We wish there was a way that a notification would be held in a queue for a testing schedule and the notification is then sent when work hours start.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

PagerDuty is relatively easy to set up. It integrates well with other software and the on-call scheduling is one of my favorite parts to this service.

PagerDuty is used to notify us when certain thresholds. It's really easy to configure.

PagerDuty review by Ray M.
Ray M.

"From a happy customer"

What do you like best?

It's easy to get started and great to have information about all critical incidents in one place. It's also very useful for users to be able to configure their preferred contact route: mobile app, phone, email, etc. so the systems generating alerts do not have to concern themselves with how to get in touch with people.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of time to find your way around the web console, but then that's the case with any feature-rich product.

We use PagerDuty to manage an on-call rota and route alerts generated by multiple monitoring systems. Great that many of these (e.g. Prometheus, Panopta) have integrations that "just work" out of the box. We also have some scripts that use the PagerDuty API directly, which we found to be well documented and easy to use.

PagerDuty review by David C.
David C.

"Exactly what we needed for our web-based business"

What do you like best?

Being able to create PagerDuty incidents from a variety of different triggers, such as emails from support staff, and automated alarms from AWS.

Being able to set up quite complex schedules to share the load of being "on call" to PagerDuty pages.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about PagerDuty is getting paged, and that's hardly the tool's fault!!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you know how to detect problems, once you do, PagerDuty is perfect for alerting the right people to deal with the problems.

Because our business is online and has customers worldwide, it is crucial that we know about any issues, 24/7. PagerDuty allows us to set up automated alerts for server issues, and also makes it easy for our support staff (who do have 24/7 coverage) to alert technical staff out of business hours.

PagerDuty review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.

"Pagerduty Simplifies the Notification and Alerting Process"

What do you like best?

We like the ease of scheduling overrides as well as the scheduling itself. We love that you can use a variety of methods to get data into PagerDuty in order to create alerts. The mobile app is great and it is extremely easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Some of the better features are not present in the basic subscription including incident grouping. We would also like to be able to customize the severity of a service or alert so change notification times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure that you know which services and what customization you will need as it will affect the pricing tier that you will be in.

The aggregating of alerts and the notifications to various on call team members. The escalation policies are nice and we benefit from having team members notified immediately of problems.

PagerDuty review by Rama Krishna Prasad G.
Rama Krishna Prasad G.

"pagerduty revierw"

What do you like best?

I like the way that we can create services, schedules & integrations. I used pager duty in my previous organization and suggested here. Pager duty is a good tool for on call, incident management and root cause analysis using a feature called postmortems

What do you dislike?

Feels like a bit expensive. We can not point a pager duty to our subdomain. Some times pager duty triggers duplicate calls. Except that pager duty is a good tool for on call, incident management and root cause analysis using a feature called postmortems

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pagerduty is a great tool for on call & incident management.

we are using pager duty for our on-call purpose. it solved most of our problems. The postmortems are really awesome. We have integrated pager duty with data dog, AWS cloud watch and status page.

PagerDuty review by Steven D.
Steven D.

"Pager Duty Review"

What do you like best?

We like the cloud base service for alerting and incident management, the alert calling features, all of the integrations and escalation management.

What do you dislike?

The AWS Cloudwatch integration works but when you receive a call about a say a SQS queue threshold, what the pager duty call will read back to you is the title of the monitor which typically is very cryptic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

No brainer. Ghost Inspector should be part of everyone's monitoring stack.

Calling the right company resources when there are system alerts.

Providing a single place to look to see incidents occurring across all of our monitoring solutions.

A low cost solution for a company our size.

"Excellent!"

What do you like best?

Pager Duty is the best application for sending and tracking notifications of any kind to our team. It has drastically improved our operations by reliably sending notifications and keeping everyone else up to date on the team. The on-call schedule is one of the features that brought us to PD as well as the native mobile apps.

What do you dislike?

The ability to merge similar incidents are lacking the ability to merge notes and incident details. We'd like to at least see the notes from multiple incidents merge into one when we need to.

It has greatly improved our quality of life since we are able to maintain a specific on-call schedule and our management team knows that alerts are being delivered to the right people and can track who's responding and who's not.

PagerDuty review by Rahul K.
Rahul K.

"We are using PagerDuty, because of this we have an eye on our servers all the time."

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

I couldn't find any issue with PagerDuty.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

PagerDuty is good tool, that you can use to monitor things. We are using PagerDuty to monitor our servers like HTTP 5XX, 4XX, CPU Utilization, Memory Utilization, Disk Space Utilization. We are using PagerDuty, because of this we have an eye on our servers all the time.

PagerDuty review by Shiv P.
Shiv P.

"PagerDuty help us very much in error detection."

What do you like best?

We have used PagerDuty on a vast scale in our projects. Pager duty helps us very much in getting the alerts and the integrations provided by them are fantastic. In a span of a few days, we have become a fan of Pager Duty.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like about Pager Duty is that it kind of annoys developer in the middle of the night, but that's its job. But we are satisfied in the last, but at the time of call it kind of annoys us. But this is the thing we have deployed it for.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's good you can go for it.

We are using Pager Duty for Incident management, so we have set up various policies based on those policies we get the alerting in Pager Duty.

PagerDuty review by Christopher H.
Christopher H.

"Good alerting solution with strong integrations"

What do you like best?

We're primarily using PagerDuty as a notification medium and Live Call Routing solution. It excels at both of these functions and integrates well with our ITSM (ServiceNow). It offers a diverse array of methods for injesting alerts and integrates with awide array of platforms, something that has been beneficial and minmiezed concern when selecting new services as the integrations have generally been avaliable or easy to add.

What do you dislike?

Not a good pricing model for our use case, we had to upgrade to a higher plan to get a limited number of features we actually needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Overall this is a reliable solution that filled a need.

PagerDuty manages our on-call rotation, emergency alerts, and live call routing for critical customer support calls. We rely on it to maintain our SLAs to our customers and to process and distribute all alerting for our cloud environments.

PagerDuty review by Aleksey S.
Aleksey S.

"Call me when you`ll got problem!"

What do you like best?

I have found Pager Duty is very useful. It’s a great WebOps service. The IpOps and DevOps team is very helpful. I have liked the Pager Duty on call schedule, notification, escalation. The contact system of this page is also very supportive. It has many unique feature. It’s also very easy to install and it does not require a lot of time to install. So the user don’t have to wait a long time. They can start it easily. I really liked it. I believe one day it will be very popular among the user.

What do you dislike?

When Pager Duty waking me up. I really dislike it, but it helps to avoid many other problems.

I can get notification about blocker bugs in our product and fix it asap.

PagerDuty review by Rajesh G.
Rajesh G.

"It solves our oncall issues easily and pretty reliable with the alerting mechanisims"

What do you like best?

24*7 coverage and sending voice message when the calls are unanswered is very valuable.

What do you dislike?

I have seen the number from where Pagerduty makes a call change time to time. This is inconvenient since I save the number and don't want to pick random calls. Please see if this can be corrected, so that I don't change the number for the contact.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Slack

Oncall alerting makes us the address issues quickly and resolve it. Changing oncall schedules and reassigning pagerduty when you are unavailable due to some unforeseen circumstances.

PagerDuty review by Tanay J.
Tanay J.

"Amazing tool to keep production servers running"

What do you like best?

The analytics tool. Helps me to keep track of the alert trends and plan how many dev cycles do we need to spend to reduce pager pain

What do you dislike?

The on call override mechanism is not very user friendly. There should be an easier way for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Must have tool to keep your production servers up and running at all times.

We use pagerduty to alert in case something goes wrong with our production systems.

This has been super helpful in detecting and fixing outages before they happen.

PagerDuty review by Steve H.
Steve H.

"Does everything you need and nothing you don't"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily override schedules, and the alerting options available. The amount of third party integrations available means that we can tie PD into any other SaaS without integration hiccups.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be a little cumbersome, especially regarding schedule overrides. Also, I did initially have issues scheduling oncall shifts for users across different timezones, but I havent experienced that issue for several months.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a simple service that does exactly what it should and nothing it shouldn't. If you want to reliably wake up engineers at 3AM, then PD is the right solution for you.

We page during incidents, and we page automatically from alerts coming from our APM providers. As far as this functionality goes, PD does everything we expect.

PagerDuty review by Justin S.
Justin S.

"Reliable, Easy to use, Convenient "

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to manage schedules, We adjust these constantly and it is very easy to use and set up.

What do you dislike?

I have had issues getting PagerDuty to override system volume sometimes, need to re-install the app to fix LG V40

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a solid application that does what it needs to.

We have multiple tiers set up, with 4 on call with escalation policies set up. We use this for after hours emergency tickets and for fail over or system down notifications/alerts

Learn more about PagerDuty

PagerDuty Videos

Learning about PagerDuty?

* We monitor all PagerDuty reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.