What do you like best?
* Being able to publish and update topics immediately.
* Being able to review what users have been searching for and adjust paths for the results.
* Being able to create PDFs of individual topics and PDF Books of groups of topics.
* Being able to link to other topics, provide glossary definitions for terms, and reuse screenshots.
* We were able to personalize the site for our specific needs. While this took some time and a solid plan, it has come together very nicely.
What do you dislike?
* Would like for it to be easier to add the glossary definitions.
* Would like a little more personalization of the PDF Books Cover page - this is limiting right now.
* Would love to be able to reuse content more easily, but they are working on this feature and there are workarounds right now.
Recommendations to others considering the product:
Make sure that you have a list of items that you absolutely need, would like to have, would be nice to have but isn't required, and so on. Then work with MindTouch personnel to figure out what things on your list can be done.
If you do not have employees that you can spare to work on the personalization of the product, be sure to look at one of MindTouch's partners for branding. These companies know what can and cannot be done in the system, and will not have the ramp up issues other branding companies may have.
Be sure to get the Premium Support package - this is very much needed during the initial setup and launch of the site and more than pays for itself.
Be flexible in your requirements, as many times you need to adjust your thinking when moving from traditional programs to an online system. There will inevitably be some limitations, but as we have found a lot of those limitations are not utilized by our customers anymore.
What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
* The ability for our users to keyword search for information. We have noticed that our users and personnel seem to use non-standard terminology when searching our documentation. By reviewing search terms and then doing some additional research, we have been able to add these non-standard terms to our topics as "tags". In cases where we do not have those topics covered, we are able to add those topics to our to-do list.
* The ability to get feedback on our topics. We have been seeing more and more users providing feedback or asking questions about our documentation. In most cases, the feedback has notified us of minor issues such as adding a Note and screenshot, or moving information around in the topic so that it is more prominent. In other cases, it has made us aware of holes in our documentation that we are able to quickly fill. In all cases, it has proved that our users are in fact reviewing our documentation and opened up good communication.
* The ability for our users to create personalized PDF books of topics. Since each of our customers uses our product in different ways, they have really enjoyed the ability to take the topics that are type-specific to there needs and create PDF books. This was one of the primary requirements when we chose Mindtouch and it has been met with very positive feedback.