Vertex Cloud

Vertex Cloud

4.0

Vertex Cloud is a cloud-based sales and use tax automation solution that is designed to save time, effort, and risk associated with calculation, return, remittance, and compliance for businesses of all sizes.

Work for Vertex Cloud?

Learning about Vertex Cloud?

Vertex Cloud Reviews

Ask Vertex Cloud a Question
Showing 45 Vertex Cloud reviews
Vertex Cloud review by Wendy B.
Wendy B.

"What a Life Saver"

What do you like best?

With the Nexus compliance now becoming a law, it is almost impossible to prepare monthly sales tax returns by yourself. Thanks to Vertex, the team, and software I no longer have to stress out each month. Instead of manually preparing sales tax returns one at time. I can now upload all my data into the Vertex Cloud and produce all the returns at one time. Then the Vertex team files those returns on my behalf.

What do you dislike?

Even though I am still a new client, I am adding on new states each and every month. It would be nice to have a Vertex member to help with configurations, types of returns, and any special circumstances that are needed. I sometime have difficulties in tying to make the right decision on what type of return to file. Then when I upload the data I get error messages. Additional training on this would be very helpful. I was able to learn that when you upload the data that is not correct, you need to reverse the bad data first before uploading the correct data (so this is a plus).

We are realizing the complexity of sales tax filing, how different the states are, and the type of returns that needed to be filed. With the help of Vertex, this is now a simpler and less stressful way of making sure that all returns are completed, filed, and paid for before the deadline.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Vertex Cloud

"Too good to be true"

What do you like best?

The cost is much more competitive for Sage 100 than Avalara was.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything. It was advertised as able to automatically work with Sage 100, but we have had bug after bug. Vertex expects users to prompt address validations and tax calculations instead of them happening automatically. Calculations are often stored different than represented on screen. Support is extremely hard to communicate with. Only and email and no phone support. Reconciling to GL is impossible. They round returns when states don't and vice versa but will not fix their reporting. They will not give any indication of helping explain their own rounding errors in the event of an audit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find someone who has real support. I could overlook the glaring product issues and integration issues if they had decent support that did what they said they would.

Cost savings only - Avalara was a much better product all around and service except for cost.

What Sales Tax Compliance solution do you use?

Vertex Cloud review by Timothy R.
Timothy R.

"Great Software for a Set it and forget it Sales Tax Solution "

What do you like best?

The best part is the time savings. Once this is set up you don't have to do a thing to remain compliant. Customer support is there to get you through setup. It took us a little more than one month getting all of the correct jurisdictions with the correct data that Vertex needed in order for them to file the returns. While this also falls on us to do, we found that every question we had along the way our on boarding specialist helped along the way.

What do you dislike?

The Fixed cost involved do not scale down much for smaller business vs large business. This sometimes makes other products out there look more appealing. Also when it comes to customer service there is no one person you get to email you have to Email a generic email address and wait for a response. There is also no phone number they list on the dashboard you can call for support you must wait for them to contact you

Recommendations to others considering the product

They offer a nexus study at an additional cost--its worth it. The amount of piece of mind that it gives you that you are compliant and future issues will not arise is the worth the amount paid!

Sales tax reporting and compliance. The largest benefit is the time savings. Since we set up this system over one year ago we have had to do very little to keep this system working. I would say the I spend about

average 15 Minutes per month where I used to spend much more time of Sales tax compliance.

Vertex Cloud review by Betty D.
Betty D.

"Tax solution for Small and Medium businesses"

What do you like best?

Vertex SMB solution is a light weight solution which is easily to implement. The API interfaces also were simpler and easy to map and go live into production. The Vertex SMB user interface is also easy to configure and number of steps are minimal to complete configuration which helps to roll changes faster.

The solution is designed such that business users can put in minimal needed information and go live with the product.

What do you dislike?

Vertex SMB does not have the ability to provide different versions for testing and for production.It would be great to have a testing instance available as a complementary version to support the production version which is licensed. The navigation experience between the different screens also can be improved so that it is a seamless experience. Reporting interface also can be made better so that the combined business user experience is better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to administer, use and deploy for small and medium businesses

Ability to expand fulfillment locations due to the flexibility to calculate tax based on the ship from location provided by the vertex implementation

Ability to automate sales and shipping tax calculation based on the states where business is registered and based on the ship to location

Ability to store customer tax exemption data in a centralized repository for audit purpose.

Ability to

Vertex Cloud review by Adam P.
Adam P.

"Great Product - I used SMB every month for my S&U Calculation Needs"

What do you like best?

I find the interface to be incredibly user friendly and was very quick to implement. Well worth the cost.

What do you dislike?

More time is needed at the beginning of the month to provide data to the Vertex team. I get five days currently which is difficult to meet that threshold with financial close of a publicly traded company.

Huge time savings. I used to internally calculate tax and have to utilize an excel file of tax rates which would be very time consuming. Best part of SMB is the synergy I get from also utilizing Vertex Managed Returns Services so it's a quick data copy and paste into excel and save to load my tax data for returns processing.

Vertex Cloud review by User

"Overall, good, but not great."

What do you like best?

I like the ability to see the transaction detail at the jurisdiction level, some of the reporting features and the calculate tax/lookup tax rate features.

What do you dislike?

Because our company appears to be one of Vertex's test companies for integration with Microsoft Dynamics 365 there have been several bumps in the road with the initial implementation as well as post implementation. The implementation was sold to us as easy and that was not the case. The tech support for implementation and post implementation has also not met expectation. The compatibility features with other software and vendors is less than desirable and the adjustment file process is quite cumbersome. Reconciling the returns to our general ledger detail has also not been as easy as we hoped.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Implementation is not as easy as they claim so you need to stay on top the process and be prepared for constant follow up dialogue

Charging the correct tax rate, collecting the correct amount of sales tax, remitting the correct amount of sales tax to the correct authority and filing the correct return. Report generation at the jurisdiction level for financial reporting purposes. Streamlined tax exempt customer management.

"Loving Vertex thus far"

What do you like best?

I like that Vertex Support is always ready to help. Whenever we have any questions, we are able to send an email and they usually respond within a few hours. They are always very helpful and try their best to answer all the questions I have with a lot of details.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the system is a little slow when processing my adjustment files or processing customer tax exceptions. Normally, I just send this into the Vertex support and they will look into and get it fixed as soon as possible.

Vertex Cloud is submitting tax on our behalf. It helps us a lot as it does not require us to learn all the different state tax returns and file it on our own. Vertex takes care of it for us and it has greatly benefited us.

Vertex Cloud review by Wendy C.
Wendy C.

"Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

I love the automated processing. I know that our transactions are flowing right through Vertex so the right sales tax is being charged. The comfort of knowing that our monthly sales tax filings for various states are all correct and processed on time. Moving forward with Vertex has provided a comfort and security as well as freeing up so much of my time.

What do you dislike?

Uploading adjustments is time consuming because the required file has so many fields and only a few need filled out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

We automated our Sales and Use tax filings eliminating the time consuming manual process.

Vertex Cloud review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"This software is very useful"

What do you like best?

I don't have to worry about new rates or changes in law when it comes to taxes. The help desk is very useful and responsive. I know that I will pass any audits. The cost is reasonable too.

What do you dislike?

Downloading the information to the website is very particular. Looking up detail to verify accuracy or check issues is time consuming. There is no way to post tax exempt sales manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a cost-effective software with awesome support.

Compliance with all of the states if really helpful. The returns are prepared for me, all I have to do is pay the bill. I don't need to pay consultants or hire additional people to figure out sales tax. One person can handle the entire program.

"Vertex Cloud"

What do you like best?

The UI I like the best. It makes the system easy to use and not intimidating to people who aren't the best with sales tax.

What do you dislike?

Importing adjustments. The message type when choosing the the message type will change when updating the form I think so sometimes I will have to upload an adjustment file twice.

Vertex helped us with being able to have the customers exemption viewable on the customer in NetSuite. This is important because it ties directly into Vertex so that it is not just a random extra field that eventually doesn't get updated.

Vertex Cloud review by User

"Using Vertex to calculate the sales tax and help to decide if our products taxable in each state."

What do you like best?

I can search the sales and use tax anytime by zipcode and the data is up-to-date.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we are charged by the features we used but not knowing in advance we will be charged for using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good product. Have a great customer team to help your needs. Save a lot of time to searching regulations of each state.

The major problem is to figure out if our product is taxable in each state and Vertex has a feature to help define our product. The data is up-to-date for states' regulation so we can easily to know the results. Not anymore to spend a lot of time to dig out states' website and still no idea what to do.

Vertex Cloud review by Administrator

"Works seamless with our site!"

What do you like best?

We love the seamless integration between both our website and back end systems. Taxes are calculated at the time of sale based on the rules we set in the easy-to-use Vertex administration panel. The Vertex administration area makes it easy for us to set taxes per jurisdiction and even make exceptions for our tax exempt customers.

What do you dislike?

We have had a few glitches with vertex that have crashed our entire system on a few different occasions losing us sales, but overall things are pretty flawless!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Company was using it when I got here so it's all I really know, but I love it!

As I mentioned before just having the taxes automatically calculated during the time of sale, it is really simple and saves us all a lot of time having that integration!

Vertex Cloud review by Consultant

"Vertex Cloud"

What do you like best?

Vertex Cloud has an easy-to-use interface, descriptive product mappings and functional reporting capabilities.

What do you dislike?

The need to contact Vertex to create rules on the back-end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work in concert with Vertex professionals to ensure all requirements are properly accounted for. Spending the appropriate time on requirements gathering and design early on in a project is best practice, as opposed to discovering new issues during build and testing phases. There were situations in which a rule needed to be implemented on the back-end (no capabilities currently to do it yourself) by Vertex.

Resolved problems relating to products and registrations; realized the ability to use rules to customize the engine to specifications.

Vertex Cloud review by Andrew G.
Andrew G.

"Still a work in progess"

What do you like best?

It allows us to receive automatic updates each month and removed the requirement to have hardware in our network to host the solution

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far, it is too early to tell.

Receiving real time tax law changes and not having to manually maintain product taxability settings

Vertex Cloud review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"vertex cloud"

What do you like best?

the rates automatically updated in our ERP systems when changed by the state on a quarterly or semi- annual basis. This diminished the need to update the rates on a manual basis and to keep track of each of the changes not only on a state level but on a city and county level. This use to take hours in the past.

What do you dislike?

would love to have access to customize customers that has lower rates or in state in which we only need to collect the state portion and not the cities but that may be an ERP issue not sure. This seem to be a day to day affair in the tax world yet so difficult to resolve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vertex makes it easier to have the correct tax rates in the ERP system and less manual work for everyone - no need to keep updating each states for sales tax rates change on a manual basis.

currently we are trying to fix the tax liabilities rate for states in which my company is not domiciled in.

Vertex Cloud review by Cassi B.
Cassi B.

"Too expensive "

What do you like best?

I don't have to worry about taxation. It is easy for sales, but we are charged every time they make a mistake on a line.

What do you dislike?

The price is INSANE for the transactional services

The only benefit is not worrying about tax rates, but I would like more definition and instructions regarding the use of tax rate tables with SAP Business ByDesign. I have tried to load tables direct from Vertex but it doesn't work.

Vertex Cloud review by Dan M.
Dan M.

"Satisfied Customer"

What do you like best?

We use the service for after the fact reporting of use tax and really like the upload and quick turn around of sales tax reports.

What do you dislike?

None that I can think of. The functionality and accuracy are excellent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works well.

Increased productivity, employee satisfaction, and low error rates.

Vertex Cloud review by Trish C.
Trish C.

"Lots of extra work involved in Sales Tax Credits and Certificates"

What do you like best?

That you can search things on the dashboard

What do you dislike?

Sales Tax Credit Processing

Not being able to Edit existing Certs

No option to choose by County

The different type of scenarios

Vertex Cloud review by Susana T.
Susana T.

"Excellent software"

What do you like best?

As an online retailer, accurate sales calculation is important, Vertex is an excellent tool for it!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes systems seems to have a performance issue and have to wait for a while to save changes on configuration.

Validation process is time consuming, however Vertex team is always there to support.

Accurate sales tax calculation, support on sales tax filing process.

will avoid future liability in case of an audit from the state, no need to use internal resources for filing process.

Vertex Cloud review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"We use Vertex to calculate our invoice sales tax"

What do you like best?

We like the ability to use web services to make our sale tax calculation calls and the online tax returns preparation.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of much I dislike except it maybe need to handle use tax a little better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. It's pretty easy to implement and maintain.

We are using the VertexSMB to calculate sales and use taxes for our customers invoices in many states.

Vertex Cloud review by Adam P.
Adam P.

"Great Support Team"

What do you like best?

Working closely with Vertex Managed Services or MSO has been a pleasure.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes team can be slow to respond to tax notices from jurisditions.

Calculates use tax for us and allows us to be able to save time in the process of manually calculating use tax internally.

Vertex Cloud review by Executive Sponsor in Retail
Executive Sponsor in Retail

"Ecommerce sales tax calculation made easy"

What do you like best?

Calculation of tax at the local level is critical. We sell across the US and Canada so accurate calculation is important.

What do you dislike?

Some stores have referenced customers complaining about being charged tax when they should not have. It seems that sometimes certain states or regions have an incorrect calculations. This has only happened less than 3 times.

Running almost 90 webstores across the entire country plus Canada comes with many challenges. Vertex simplifies a complex process for us.

Vertex Cloud review by Tara F.
Tara F.

"Accessible, user friendly and quick turnaround"

What do you like best?

Using Vertex has helped promote a quick, accurate and efficient tax breakdown for the work our company does. It's helping our business and customers with the most up to date tax rates available.

What do you dislike?

The initial set up took a long time and working out the kinks did slow the process down in the beginning. Once that was done, it works great.

We are solving any sales tax related items that occur when calculating service work for contractors all over the United States.

Vertex Cloud review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Very user friendly"

What do you like best?

I've used a few different compliance software solutions and Vertex is by far the cream of the crop.

What do you dislike?

Can't upload data for multiple periods in one file. Other compliance solutions that are not nearly as good as Vertex have managed to allow you to upload a single file covering multiple periods. We do a lot of VDA's and having to upload multiple, multiple files in order to cover the VDA period is ridiculous.

Easy to manage and access from anywhere

"Very easy to use"

What do you like best?

Easy interface and easy upload.

You do need to understand sales and use tax and how the interface works between Vertex and Netsuite

What do you dislike?

I don't like the single interface upload and that every iteration is an "add" only. I would like to have a replace option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Much easier to research. Much cheaper. Understand the interface completely before setting up your products and locations. In one case, we have to manual upload one location because they share a legal entity (tax number).

It's easy to set up and cheaper than other options. I like the cloud option as Vertex more than likely has better security than we do.

Vertex Cloud review by Saravanan S.
Saravanan S.

"A Good tool for Small & Medium business"

What do you like best?

It is automated and computes tax quickly

What do you dislike?

Fee is bundled and high and bundled - it would be better if it is charged by specific service like returns, caclulation etc

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool at right cost for small and medium business to solve sales tax problems

Sales tax computation- states change taxes frequently and sometimes we may lose money due to undercharging. Due to Vertex we are able to capture it on time and minimize any overruns.

Vertex Cloud review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Not the Best"

What do you like best?

The ease of crediting an invoice. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

What do you dislike?

Having different people respond and not having just one rep for our account. Not getting responses on notices uploaded and having to constantly follow up with no answers. Taxes not being filed on time and receiving notices advising so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wouldn't recommend it!

Audits, taxes not filed on time. Also it is not letting me screen shot to upload verification as a user!!!!!!!

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like that it is integrated with our online sales to auto calculate tax and returns

What do you dislike?

it's a little time consuming to go back if we have a refund to give a customer. We have to do manual transactions in vertex as our system doesn't communicate back and forth with Vertex due to our setup. It's not really a Vertex problem as much is it is in how we had to set the system up.

We started online sales and this calculates and charges taxes in real time and eases return prep time.

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Vertex Clouds' pros are that it will calculate tax on all transactions and import those transactions onto state and local returns.

What do you dislike?

Vertex Cloud does not provide a single point of contact for their clients. You have to send your issue/question to a general email address, and although they get typically reply in a timely manner, the information is not always 100% complete/helpful

Calculating tax on customer transactions. Vertex files returns and makes payments to the jurisdictions directly.

Vertex Cloud review by Robert H.
Robert H.

"Vertex"

What do you like best?

Precise and accurate without the heavy expense of its competitors.

What do you dislike?

The software still does not remove the need for a tax expert to ensure it is setup and used correctly. Constant monitoring of the Sales Tax landscape is still required.

The largest problem solved is accurate and current rate tables for invoicing purposes.

"Professional"

What do you like best?

Fast response time with support. Dedicated reps.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the account reps jump the gun when trying to be helpful. I have been interrupted several times when reviewing/ updating data because someone on their end took it upon themselves to generate our returns.

Huge time saver

Vertex Cloud review by Shelly B.
Shelly B.

"Recently Launched"

What do you like best?

The implementation of tax law updates - keeping update on all rates

What do you dislike?

The lack of function for foreign countries - esp Australia

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

keeping up with various tax rates around the globe

Vertex Cloud review by User

"A few glitches but they seem to work them out in a timely manner."

What do you like best?

The returns generated automatically and were ready on the first to begin the filings.

What do you dislike?

Always checking the numbers to make sure Vertex is correct. Find discrepancies occasionally and email them to see why.

Quicker filings - freeing up more time.

Vertex Cloud review by Internal Consultant in Retail
Internal Consultant in Retail

"Ease of use and installation. Accuracy between systems is great"

What do you like best?

Ease of integration of the Magento tax module. The set up is simple, and the module is robust and accurate. Support is always responsive and helpful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind. Have had a very good experience.

Have used Vertex now at two companies. At the first, it helped improve accuracy between the front end ecommerce store (Magento) and the backend ERP. Before we had major issues with calculations being higher in the ERP, and thus the card payment captures were failing.

Vertex Cloud review by Kelsie G.
Kelsie G.

"Makes my job easier"

What do you like best?

That it does most of the work for me in regards to the tax calculating

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are glitches in the system that i have to take time and go back to fix.

Calculation of tax

Vertex Cloud review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"East to Navigate"

What do you like best?

The ease of the website to find where I need to go to calculate my taxes.

What do you dislike?

The interface with our accounting software has proven difficult at times.

Sales tax and the use of it with our accounting software

Vertex Cloud review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Great cloud system "

What do you like best?

That Vertex takes care of all the messy tax jurisdiction rate tracking

What do you dislike?

some of the technical NetSuite implementation with the way tax requests are handled

decreased time spent creating/editing tax codes

"Tax Accountant II"

What do you like best?

It is easy to connect to and it is very user friendly. I like that we can store exemption certificates as well.

What do you dislike?

I have not used the software in the production environment as of yet since my company is still implementing it.

The rates issues we have with the current series and the exemption certificate portal.

"Finance Manager"

What do you like best?

Ease of transaction & summary reporting/extracting data

What do you dislike?

Geo codes drop leading zeros on export. Cannot find a way to get around this. Also, it does not reverse tax that was initially invoiced upon a return if the tax rate has changed since purchase. this causes a lot of problems.

A more sophisticated tax calculation methodology. Easier to work with changing tax rates.

Vertex Cloud review by Jasmina B.
Jasmina B.

"Vertex experience "

What do you like best?

Great interface, user friendly and great customer service support!

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. I have no issues at the moment.

Filing US sales tax. Benefits are time saving in filing taxes and good reports.

Vertex Cloud review by Consultant

"Sap BYD Vertex Integration"

What do you like best?

The automatic rate update is a great attribute because prior to Vertex the system had to be updated manually for every legal change from the government

What do you dislike?

You can not individually turn of jurisdictions for a sale where the customer does not have jurisdiction in.

Work around for those individual jurisdictions that need to be turned off and not charged to a customer.

"Best tax software "

What do you like best?

That it is simply and takes the guess out for you

What do you dislike?

At certain times searching my data can be slow

US Sales taxes

Vertex Cloud review by User

"Vertex provides the states and local county tax rates in one place that is easy to find."

What do you like best?

Vertex has a user friendly website, where even I know where to find information (tax rate downloads, tax submissions, reseller info, etc).

What do you dislike?

I have to maintain tax rules both in Vertex AND in our ERP. For example, tax exemption certificates from resellers, etc. must be maintained in both places.

Sales & Use tax filings

Vertex Cloud review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Sap BYD Vertex Integration"

What do you like best?

The Automatic updates of rates and tax combinations

What do you dislike?

Missing the ability to tax exempt based on product categories and locations

Recommendations to others considering the product

It beats having to manually update your tax rates every time a tax rate changes.

For clients not having to worry about tax rates as much

Vertex Cloud review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Turn-key experience"

What do you like best?

The solution is easy to use. Vertex makes this a turn-key experience.

What do you dislike?

It can be a challenge to accumulate all necessary data in the Vertex Cloud by the deadline for sales tax filings.

Automation of clients' sales tax filings

Learn more about Vertex Cloud

Vertex Cloud Videos

Vertex Cloud Downloads

Learning about Vertex Cloud?

* We monitor all Vertex Cloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.