Microsoft Dynamics SL Reviews & Product Details

What is Microsoft Dynamics SL?

Microsoft Dynamics SL. Productive, connected, efficient solutions for project-driven organizations. Project-driven organizationssuch as government contractors, professional services firms, and construction companiesmust meet specialized customer, accounting, project management, and regulatory requirements that aren۪t always supported by traditional accounting and business management software. Microsoft Dynamics SL is designed to help you easily manage complex project accounting. You۪ll streamline processes and get real insight so that you can estimate projects correctlyand always deliver them on time and on budget. The end result? Greater control, increased profitability, and more flexibility to grow your business.

Microsoft Dynamics SL Profile Details

Microsoft Dynamics SL Profile Details

Microsoft
Description
Microsoft Corporation develops, licenses, and supports software products and services; and designs and sells hardware worldwide. Flagship products include Windows, Office, Azure, SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics ERP and CRM, as well as Xbox; Skype; and Windows Phone.
1975

1-28 of 28 total Dynamics SL reviews

Microsoft Dynamics SL Reviews

1-28 of 28 total Dynamics SL reviews
AO

"Microsoft Dynamics SL Admin and Implementer"

What do you like best?

SL has a full sweet of products to offer which accommodates diverse project-based business structures. I've used Dynamic SL in a real estate title company in their non-title division to track hundreds of project with hundreds of different products in a multi-company setup. We closed out over 13 companies per month from one main office and utilized almost every module. In both past and present companies we used almost all modules and printed ten's of thousands of checks and sent out countless ACH every month. The laster has become the most prevalent but, it's a very robust platform in my experience.

What do you dislike?

In the most current setup of Dynamics on my pain points would be database locks in the system. We have roughly 100 or so user in the system at any given time and during month end close we have had some latency issues. There also seems to be a limit on the amount of data that is able to be uploaded at any given time. For the most part, the system runs fine and I'm sure with a more updated setup and version these hurdles wouldn't be an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Microsoft Dynamics SL has come a long way and I would consider the cloud-based version if I were to consider an implementation.

In both businesses, we used SL to track hundreds or even thousands of projects, expense, products, labor, and monthly / yearly reporting. SL was also our main system for tracking and reconciling inventory for multiple warehouses all over the United States. We also partnered with several major banks in a processing capacity for several large incentive programs that are still running to the day.

Chief Financial Officer
Education Management

"Solid and stable, light on features"

What do you like best?

Very stable, excellent controls around data integrity. SL 2015, and previous version added a feature called Quick Query that allows us

What do you dislike?

With great stability comes less flexibility. Not as feature-rich as sister product Dynamics GP. Ecosystem of supporting software and integrated products seems smaller. Reporting is a little clunky. Quick Query helps with that. Budget features are very limited, we use a separate package to manage that and import into SL. Standard financial reporting tool for SL is MS Management Reporter, the Frx successor. This gets the job done, but feels dated even in its newest version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My sense is you use it if project accounting is core to your business. If not, there are better GL options.

General ledger, AP, inventory. Solid, consistent results, data integrity.

UA

"Not great for Accounting"

What do you like best?

I use Microsoft Dynamics SL at work for our main accounting software. I like the ability to pull different kinds of reports to get the information I need. I also like the option to be able to import large amounts of data.

What do you dislike?

It crashes a lot and we have several different work arounds that we have to do to make it work and meet our needs. For example we recently were having issues with one customer ID and found out it was because we had reached over 1 million transaction lines so the fix we had to do was to create a new customer ID instead.

It is pretty easy to be able to research invoices with the different report options and helps us when we need a quick response to our operations departments.

Solutions Consultant

"Good project based time entry platform"

What do you like best?

Dynamics is easy to use, there was no learning curve at all, once logged in it was point and click to create a time sheet and add entries for various projects.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a bit outdated; think early 2000 with lots of "bubble-like" icons.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your homework; make sure that you know all your requirements for timekeeping before making a selection; this includes integration requirements and mobile device support.

The biggest benefit is being able to easily create time sheets.

"Good product"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the streamlining of many different account and billing functions in one software.

What do you dislike?

The program can be slow sometimes when using certain functions. Also, there are some functions that require you to "tab" through the fields instead of clicking through or you may inadvertently edit something you did not mean to.

This software helps us ensure we are all on the same page about payments we have received between departments. Helps us make sure nothing gets lost or is unaccounted for.

Controller
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Horrible product"

What do you like best?

I would not say that any experience I have had in this system is great. The system is very outdated and not capable of doing anything in the current day and age without customizations that have to be performed by external consultants (unless you are fortunate enough to have someone familiar with sql in-house).

What do you dislike?

Everything about the system is to be disliked. The system has problems in every module you would normally use. The available canned reports don't have all the information you would want. To add fields to a report is not intuitive if possible within the scoping screens and if not possible within those screens you have to pay a consultant to customize the reports for you (and even that might not be possible). The system with give weird errors and you have to shut down your computer to try and continue on with what you were doing. The reporting tools available to link with the system are not great either and usually have trouble communicating with SL.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not use this system- search for something else that is at least supported by the developer and is easier to change in house. Anything you want to do in this system has to be done with a 3rd party consultant.

We are looking to move away from this system given how outdated it is and does not appear to be supported well by the developer. The system is just causing problems for us at this point and not solving any for the organization.

Senior Auditor
Accounting

"Good ERP Software for Accounting "

What do you like best?

Project management and project accounting functionality to help organizations manage projects. ERP includes finance, project accounting, manufacturing, field services, supply chain management, analytics, and electronic commerce. Different module or add-ons available from the third-party vendor that can be integrated with Dynamics SL.

What do you dislike?

Not so much user-friendly and runs slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Dynamics SL is good for small and medium size company, third-party add-ons and modules are available to use with it. Can meet your accounting and financial reporting requirement.

Accounting General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Prepaid, Bank Reconciliations, Fixed Assets, Inventory Management, Electronic Payment ACH and Wire, Check Payment.

Founder & CEO

"COO"

What do you like best?

MS Dynamics SL was one of the best ERP of its time. The database system it use is SQL, which is something good since SLQ Server is one of the best and reliable databas platforms. It is still on the market and the most importante feature of this ERP is that it is customisable. Customisations in this types of system is something very helpful since each company has different needs.

What do you dislike?

It was developed with old technology, but the worst is that it is a Server and client based application. they are now offering an cloud solution that I do not know how ti works, but knowing that that wa snot the way this software was thought, makes me think that the solution is using a their party control o something similar to make it possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider another ERP softwares as Acumatica.

Installation and implementation require a lot of steps. Partner´s community is decreasing because of the raising of new ERP companies that are using new technologies to build its software.

Audit Senior Assistant
Accounting
(10,001+ employees)

"Microsoft SL for financials"

What do you like best?

Able to book and view journal entries pertaining to financial statements.

What do you dislike?

Unable to see when an entry is posted (not created). It could also be more user-friendly in terms of how to search of posted transactions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be mindful of what kind of reports you want to run and how you want to search for transactions in particular.

Ability to post transactions to the GL which feed in to the financial statements.

AA

"Our company has been using this Microsoft product since 2004."

What do you like best?

The flexibility of creating your reports to suite your company needs is a great asset of this product. It is user friendly and can be great for small up to large companies.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have a feature that allows you to preview the affect of a journal entry before it posts. I would also like to be able to edit descriptions after a posting and an error has been discovered. That error is forever in the GL.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a secure user friendly software with many accounting capabilities, this one is great.

My balancing, month and year end closings are effortless. So I have been able to save lots of time.

"Dynamics - good or bad?"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics keeps all information in one place and that gives everyone access to all the information they need and we can work together more effectively.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to do reconciliation, but that could be I am still learning about the product.

Not much flexibility.

Quick Query function has been helping me. I can view, filter, sort, add or remove columns, and export the resulting data to Microsoft Excel.

Procurement Specialist
Education Management

"Accounts Receivable on Microsoft Dynamics"

What do you like best?

I love that this program is windows based and easy to follow. I also love that there are macro functions so that I can customize my own pages and needs.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything I dislike about this product.

I am in accounting so most of my business problems are monetary. I love how smoothly all of my transactions flow between reports.

"Great Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that Dynamics SL is extremely customizable when it comes to fitting my business needs. It is backed by arguably the biggest software name in the industry so the overall quality is definitely apparent.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve was a little steep for me which comes as a result of it being such flexible software. However, once learned, it is a very valuable resource and tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for job costing, be sure they can provide the detail transactions, grouped and categorized like Dynamics SL can

We have used it for the accounting of our company

"Powerful but unforgiving"

What do you like best?

Granular control and budgets/projects, customizable

What do you dislike?

Period-to-post causes a very large amount of problems (too easy to break). I wish we could have longer transaction description fields (these are far too short).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that your team is trained, trained, and trained again. One poor user can ruin the entire database and render the data unusable without serious massaging.

I don't think this is an answer I can give. Dynamics SL is our entire accounting system.

"Customizable, mostly user friendly data management"

What do you like best?

The greatest feature is that we can customize so many things that are specific to our company. We can generate warning pop ups. It works easily with our other technology in the office. It's much more flexible than other data management software I've previously worked with.

What do you dislike?

The design of the software looks like it hasn't been updated since the early 2000s. I'm not sure if that's specific to what we're using or if that's across the board.

We work with over 5,000 employees, and need to maintain compliance with state and federal regulations. The information is available to us so quickly, even for older employee files.

EI

"Dynamics SL"

What do you like best?

Project accounting, flexible reporting, employee utilization

What do you dislike?

minor item but need to produce a zero check to net a credit against a vendor invoice

Time and expense entry and processing of invoices for clients delivered via email

"Not User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The listing of all options on the Home Screen is the only benefit that I see

What do you dislike?

Unable to refresh a screen for releasing batches

None

"I have used several versions of SL for Billing, AR collections and Revenue"

What do you like best?

I enjoy best the Project module, it has flexibility to support reporting needs along with ease of use.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the standard electronic billing feature and budgets features, when budgets are updated in project maintenance they must also be updated they still must be manually updated in budget maintenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

More simplified revenue recognition for fixed price/ETC rev rec projects would be great.

We are working on more detailed reporting. I enjoy that we can report project revenue and costs by different subaccounts on a task level.

UT

"Great prodcut"

What do you like best?

love the flexibility of Dynamics SL and being able to customize it if necessary. Working with SIS has been great, and their team is very knowledgeable about SL and writing code.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the depth of features means that it is time-consuming to implement and learn. It is not super user friendly or intuitive and does take some training and a little time to get into.

I like that it's flexible, customizable, and has deep project functionality and excellent financial capability. They have a strong series of partners for installation and support. Reports are written in Crystal and can be modified.

"CRM Dynamics"

What do you like best?

en mi empresa es el lugar donde se guardan todos los proceso que tiene la operativa, con lo cual me gusta mucho poder tener todas las info en un solo sitio

What do you dislike?

en la ultima actualización ha mejorado bastante aunque todavía no me convenza el menú de navegación, muy poco amigable

no me ayuda a solucionar problemas

"Only if you want a team to define, implement and support the tool."

What do you like best?

It's nice that it is easily available via web, I suppose. I don't have a great love of the product.

What do you dislike?

The entire system, much like Sharepoint and other MS behemoths, it's a horrible mistake to think you can just dive in and start using the product. It takes a design and implementation team to get you up and running effectively; otherwise, you quickly find that it doesnt do what you expect and overall data integrity is miserable.

After using Dynamics, we sorta solved some tracking of actual sales....but the product was so bad that the overall data collection just never really happened.

Programmer/Analyst
Supermarkets
(10,001+ employees)

"Used as a back-end for a point-of-sale system I developed."

What do you like best?

Using Microsoft eConnect it was easy to transfer data between Dynamics and the proprietary POS system.

What do you dislike?

Pricing of different components seemed at times excessive,

I needed a robust accounting package for our larger clients where quickbooks was not enough,

"6 year user"

What do you like best?

Our business is complicated and Dynamics SL handles all our transactions types. We use projects, sales orders, service calls and service contracts.

What do you dislike?

Occasional buggy spots require support from analyst and dba.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep current. Product enhancements need to be well vetted. Webapps need improvement.

We needed a ERP package that could do both job cost accounting and and service contracts. Thrilled that Dynamics SL could do both well.

UN

"A tried and true product"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is user friendly, easily customizable, and has a good customer support system.

What do you dislike?

Upgrades can be expensive, especially if you don't need all the features of the software.

This software meshes well with other Microsoft products such as Excel, so I can download reports into Excel format.

Senior Salesforce Consultant

"Forced to use"

What do you like best?

Basically supports some CRM type features

What do you dislike?

Unreliable, down time, lack of browser support, inability to export/import from common formats without third party tool

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't use it, there are better products out there that will do the thing you need them too better and will do a mjuch better job

Basic CRM

UF

"Anothe good Microsoft product "

What do you like best?

It’s consistent to Microsoft’s reliable track record. Great for any industry searching for a CRM

What do you dislike?

To get to one place I have to click through too many steps

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Small companies may not need the platform due to accommodation to medium to large companies

Data management

UE

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

It was really straight forward and easy to use. It works well when it syncs up with an additional program.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it would freeze. That would be cumbersome because that would affect the syncing.

Inventory

"Microsoft Dynamics User "

What do you like best?

The ability to easily collaborate with coworkers via chat communication

What do you dislike?

Does not integrate easily with apple mac products

Quick collaboration with coworkers on multiple projects

Dynamics SL User Ratings

5.3
Ease of Setup
Average: 6.8*
* Project-Based ERP Category
Do you work for Dynamics SL?

Microsoft Dynamics SL Consultants