AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Property Manager is an all-in-one property management software that allows apartment, residential, commercial, student housing, and community association managers to more effectively market, manage and grow their business.

Work for AppFolio Property Manager?

Learning about AppFolio?

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

Ask AppFolio a Question
Showing 132 AppFolio reviews
Kaila S.

"Top of the Line Property Management Software"

What do you like best?

Appfolio is excellent at taking feedback from customers with constant updates and new features. Since I've started using the software 4 years ago they've added multiple, helpful new features that make filling out work orders, completing inspections, delivering leases to tenants and even gathering renter's insurance info way easier! I like the new feature of being able to integrate Appfolio with my Google Calendar to make scheduling showings an automated, "hands-free" process. I simply log on, update my schedule availability, and Appfolio takes it from there with offering prospects time slots and providing reminders for less no-shows.

What do you dislike?

My only hangup about the software is the price, definitely too high for smaller buildings. It would be great if Appfolio featured a "light" version or possibly reconsidered pricing altogether to better connect with owners and property managers of smaller buildings. Right now we use Appfolio for a collection of 3 buildings with 58 units total and the price works just fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I advise new users to take advantage of all of the helpful trainings and to click into each section to get to know all of the great features.

Compared to other programs Appfolio makes the process of leasing vacancies a breeze! From marketing units on the top websites online, creating marketing flyers, batch-emailing prospects, automating the scheduling of showings with ability to link Google Calendar, and keeping guest cards all in one easy-to-access place, Appfolio eliminates the headaches common to leasing.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about AppFolio Property Manager
Barbara G.

"Best software & leverage Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Great to access from anywhere, phone friendly, database keeps all information available. The organization is complete and easy to train new people on how to use. Guest cards are so helpful, able to track down all leads and verify interest. The reminders and action logs are very useful between departments and keeping all staff aware of pertinent info.

What do you dislike?

I believe the reporting should be more flexible and customizable. Accountants are not in love with our reports published. I don't like having to export into an excel spreadsheet to tweak or move data to my needs. I would also like better vacancy rate details.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it was like changing from PC systems to MAC products. once you get it, you never go back.

We are able to leverage large amounts of data with move in, move outs, owner correspondence, delinquencies. The collection agency is easy to use. Online payments have freed up tons of admin time for our staff. History of inspections has backed us up when needed. History of text, notes and emails also very helpful in legal matters.

What Property Management solution do you use?

Maria Q.

"AppFolio - Made the right choice switching over "

What do you like best?

The AppFolio function is simple, error-proof, love that its online and I can access it from my smartphone. It has brought down our calls internally from tenants, now they can review their accounts online and place work orders no need to call the office anymore.

What do you dislike?

As of today no complains, the best thing we ever did was switch ever from Yardi to AppFolio.

Well, there is one Con for those that are not computer shabby don't think you will be able to get someone over the phone right away to help you out. You will have to wait until a rep get back to you via email

we currently have no problems with Appfolio smooth sailing for us, there customer service team is quick to reply if or when an issue needs to be resolved. My advice is to take time and review those helpful self-help tools and videos they have.

Angela G.

"Best Industry Software Available"

What do you like best?

I have utilized many different industry software options over the last 15+ years. AppFolio is by far the most user friendly, which is critical in an industry where there's little time for training new employees. AppFolio is also the most efficient tool I've used for resident communication and retention efforts. I've been extremely pleased to see AppFolio take customer feedback and create new features that make our daily workflow more efficient. Their Support Team is by far the most responsive, educated and caring team out there. AppFolio is the only software I would recommend or choose to use. Great job, AppFolio!

What do you dislike?

There is no feature to pro-rate move-outs. This is something that really needs to be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recommendations would be outlined in responses above.

Benefits to using AppFolio can be seen from the financial savings compared to competitor products, time saving in numerous aspects and more. Overall, AppFolio is a much more efficient and cost effective industry tool.

Sam W.

"Excellent Software - Highly Recommended for Property Management Companies "

What do you like best?

Reporting, Universal Search, Customer Support. The ability to search all of AppFolio in their universal search bar is incredible. Doesn't matter if I need tenant, owner, property or specific unit info. I can access all of it very quickly. That plus the varied and detailed reports we can create are incredible. We used AppFolio when working at a 418 unit HOA. It was our first time with HOA management and AppFolio support was incredible. They worked with us to port over data from the old property management software system (TOPS) and did so in a way that was very convenient, quick and efficient. We felt supported throughout the whole process and was able to get the software online and activated very quickly. Once up and running, we sent tenant and owner portal activation emails and were surprised at how quickly individuals adopted the online system. The reporting, the universal search and the customer care we received makes AppFolio awesome.

What do you dislike?

When reviewing property photos on the property page, you cannot click on the thumbnail image to see a larger version of it. You have to download then open. This is inconvenient, especially when our maintenance department needs to review work orders submitted by Property Managers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use this Software. Its really thorough and easy to use.

We are able to keep excellent track of our move-in/move-out flow thanks to AppFolio. It keeps our data very organized. Move-in and move-out planning has been very easy.

Liz S.

"Manage several complexes in ONE SETTING! "

What do you like best?

I love using AppFolio as I am able to manage over 4 apartment complexes all from one office setting. I can view tenants online portals, at real time, I can collect payments, create work orders, and send out mass emails instead of having to go door to door to deliver notes!

What do you dislike?

The only dislike that I could think of is when I am preparing 3 day notices, the system does not always include the late fees, and/or additional charges such as garages.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would just recommend that they look at the letter portions, and possibly put the full balance that is owed, instead of just a portion of it.

AppFolio has numerous business benefits, such as my corporate office and myself can have weekly conferences regarding the properties, and be able to see live ( real-time) how everything is doing from delinquencies, to work orders.

Elizabeth R.

"Love this program!"

What do you like best?

Seriously, everything! We love receiving payments, making deposits, creating work orders (and receiving them from our tenants through their online portals). This is also a great software for storing all of our documents to each tenants account, which can be accessed online. It gives us the peace of mind knowing if something ever happened to our paper copies of different documents, we have them uploaded to AppFolio.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, we haven’t found anything about this software that we don’t like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This software will have every thing you need to manage rental property. Definitely worth the investment.

AppFolio makes keeping up with our business so much easier. Everything we need is one place. It’s also wonderful to be able to access AppFolio from anywhere.

Heather U.

"User friendly, variety of features, always improving/updating and great support services!"

What do you like best?

This is our MAIN program in the office; therefore, I use it every single day. It's always open on one of my Internet tabs on Mozilla. The actual layout of the homepage, including the color scheme of the program, is easy to follow, read, understand, and pleasing to the eye (soft blue hues). You can easily keep track of vendors, owners, tenants and billing/invoicing. I think it's a quick program to learn even though there are so many features I don't personally use - I know several other people in our office use them. If we ever have an issue we can contact them and the turn around time is super fast. They call us and are always helpful and knowledgeable and even follow up with emails after the calls. AppFolio welcomes suggestions from clients and actually follows through with implementing the updates! They are always evolving and making things easier and more efficient.

What do you dislike?

Only a few very technical items that wouldn't necessarily make sense to non-users and I haven't even cared enough to submit requests on the issues. It'd be nice if parking was easier to keep track of on the system and it's charged "by door" so if you have multiple units and properties you can really rack up the door pricing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

None

Maintenance orders are a breeze with our system. Vendors are integrated with billing and we have all the information in one place. We also find it very easy to advertise with this program and it goes out to several locations and websites. Our website is also powered through AppFolio so it saves us an additional step when making updates and getting the most accurate information out there.

"Diversified property management portfolio that is extremely happy with Appfolio!"

What do you like best?

We like the advertising module the best out of all of the modules. This feature allows our owners to have exposure to so many sites with just one single data entry source.

What do you dislike?

We dislike the number of steps some of the actions take, such as if we accidentally cancel a move in to switch a tenant to another unit, the system loses all of the data for the tenant and puts the security deposit into the clearing account and we have to move this person out, pay the deposit and then redo all of the steps to enter the applicant in. I would like to have a change unit feature.

Marketing. We used to have a full time person working on our marketing ads for each of the properties, multiple billing invoices we had to process and just was an overall headache. We wish Appfolio could post to Facebook and Craig's List and we would be set!

Zach D.

"Great Software for Owners, Managers, & Tenants"

What do you like best?

The easy layout for tenants is the great. Everyone, old and young, has no issues making payments and submitting work orders online!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I'd like to see different would be the system's payables will default to only show bills due as of today or up to 1 week behind. We have to change these dates EVERY time we print checks. It would be nice to show advance dates by default, as we NEVER want to print the check the day it's due.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you think you dont have enough units to justify the pricing they offer, think again. I tried to go with others for a lower price, but wasted 2 months before going with AppFolio, and I only wish I had done it sooner!

Increased visibility in the community is a great one! The INCLUDED marketing aspect alone took one property that was staying at 40% occupied when I took over, and went to 100% within less than a month with this software! I am the one stop shop for my department (only person) so I have to handle lease up, inspections, low income qualifications, asset management, etc. This system makes everything SO easy to work remotely. Online marketing, online inquiries, online applications, online lease signings, online payments, and online work orders.

UR
User in Real Estate

"Appfolio Property Management is a great program"

What do you like best?

The Appfolio software is very user friendly and has all the information that you need for the properties, owners and tenants.

What do you dislike?

The only issues I have is that it may sometimes take a day or two to get a response when you have a problem and they seem to want to respond by email instead of talking with you and helping you walk through the issues. You never get the same person that you dealt with the last time so it's always someone different. Also, it's hard to search for a past tenant in the system if you don't remember their name but only remember the address. It looks like the system should somehow allow you to pull up past tenants by their previous address.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend this program. I would suggest going to a company, like I did, that already uses Appfolio so you can see first hand what the program will do for your needs.

Anytime their is a problem that we can't figure out on our own, we just send them a request and they will get back to us to help work out any problems or issues we are having with the program. The support team has always been helpful when we needed them!

"Excellent Software "

What do you like best?

Appfolio is very user-friendly. Since we began using the service I have been very pleased with how easy it is to navigate through the system to accomplish what I need. We also love the fact that Appfolio is very innovative. There are constantly new features added which is an excellent bonus.

What do you dislike?

The only real thing that I think could improve is customer service response time. The customer service representatives we work with are excellent, however, there have been a few times we have had to wait 2-3 days for a response which can get tricky if we need an answer quickly. Other than that, the service has been amazing.

We use just about every feature that Appfolio provides. I would say the two main features that we are using are both the accounting end of things, as well as the marketing side. We love the marketing tools that Appfolio provides for Residential Properties. Things are made much easier to be able to click one button to list on all of the necessary sites. The accounting features are excellent as well to ensure that Owners are understanding all income and expenses each month.

Madeley F.

"A MUST USE! Successfully manage apartments, or homes!"

What do you like best?

I love this software as it allows me to collect rent, send out notices, create/close work orders, and handle everything I need for my job from any where! I have an app I use on my phone, as well as I am able to work from home, and the office!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the pricing. My company is a lot smaller so I am unable to do all the marketing I want without paying a higher price. Each lead on known websites can range from $10+ and those leads go quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend this program. Even thought the cost is higher, the software has been a huge success in our business!

I am able to solve all of my business problems in one setting!

Mike K.

"Recommended for Maximum Property Marketing Exposure "

What do you like best?

AppFolio allows me to market rental properties in my area. Appfolio's syndication knows how to market your home to the right target audience. I use primarily RentLinx, which is one of AppFolio's services that specializes in advertising rentals to other sites like Craigslist, Apartments.com, Trulia, ShowMeTheRent, and many more. I get the most successful leads through Rentlinx and quality exposure.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is on the high side, which isn't ideal for a boutique company on a budget. As a result, our company cannot market all of the properties on our inventory equally unless we're willing to pay a lot more in pricing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take into consideration your budget, business size, and your business needs when choosing your plan. You can easily find yourself paying excessive amounts of money for services you won't have any use for.

Increasing marketing exposure for our rental inventory. I believe with the use of services from AppFolio like RentLinx, the system works to prioritize the exposure of your listing over others. One of the biggest benefits is the syndication feature. I use RentLinx to post an ad, and it automatically lists it to other websites like Craigslist, Trulia, etc.

Darla B.

"Great Property Management Software Solution"

What do you like best?

The software is very user friendly. Appfolio is proactive in updates and pushes them out as they become available. The support is top notch. Appfolio is a very affordable software that meets most of our needs.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they make a change that they are excited about but in the great scheme of things, it is not a good change. They have a hard time understanding that not all companies operate the same and there need to be ways to avoid some changes if you don't want them. Some changes are just forced upon you and you have to figure out a work around once they implement it.

Prior to Appfolio, we were struggling to grow without adding more staff due to the outdated software we used to have. Appfolio has allowed us to streamline many systems and avoid having to add staff in order to grow.

Jim C.

"User for 4+ years"

What do you like best?

That it integrates so many functions like Tenant screening and application management, our website and rental listing syndication. It’s user friendly and customer support is usually really good.

What do you dislike?

Because so many features are integrated there are so me sacrifices with regards to customization. If you want to take advantage of third party products, you have to discard the benefits of the ecosystem created by appfolio. Also some of their missing feature sets don’t make sense when they are offered in other parts of the software and are highly requested by users - yet they remain unaddressed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AppFolio is a strong contender in the property manager space, at least in the top 2-3 if not leader of the pack. It has it's strong points and weak points, but overall it's a very strong platform.

Most property management software systems address the basic needs. Appfolio, I think cuts down on employee training time because it’s so user friendly and intuitive. And despite its faults, the ecosystem of compatible and integrated features create simplicity and saves a lot of time

shane w.

"Overall Satisfaction with AppFolio Property Manager"

What do you like best?

Typically, AppFolio answers all questions the same day. However, I've had issues with Apartments.com pulling our information on available listings and consistently advertising incorrectly. I've contacted AppFolio more than 3 times about this in the last month and they said they would look into it and work on getting it figured out with them. However, I've had two more incidents since then and I just feel like I'm not being heard. However, I do give them a higher rating because I feel like they DO try their best and they are VERY responsive when we have major issues (this is more of an inconvenience issue). They do have room for improvement but overall, they're on the right track.

What do you dislike?

Adding new tenants with future tenants already moved in - it's a major process (hiding tenants, moving tenants in, unhiding tenants, changing dates).How charges are calculated and how we have to keep of certain items on our end instead of the system doing what it should do automatically.

Letters - creating uniform, consistent, accurate letters to send out to tenants or owners

Reports - creating tenant directories, owner directories, vendor ledgers, etc...

Applications - completing, submitting, entering, screening, and contacting applicants as well as co-signers.

Michael W.

"President"

What do you like best?

The ability to see everything from anywhere. We are a VERY mobile workforce and really love being able to pull anything up from just about anywhere in the world.

What do you dislike?

Online Leases. There a lot of quarks that make this hard to manage. Most things in AF are quick and easy to set up, this is not.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning and setting it up to take advantage of the features.

Payments have been a great thing to solve on our end. We used to print and mail checks and it was horrible. Love the bill pay and ach payments.

AR
Administrator in Real Estate

"Well rounded property management database"

What do you like best?

The program is extremely easy to use and user friendly. There are many hyperlinks which make my work flow much smoother. Online payments are super easy for the tenants and I love how we can view their portal "live"- it makes it much easier to assist the tenants. Their support is pretty fast and easy to reach.

What do you dislike?

If there is a feature that we think should be incorporated, it is very hard to get the support team to approve it. It has to be voted in, and even then it takes a while. As some other reviewers wrote, parking is difficult to keep track of.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great program and smoothes workflow for the entire offfice.

Tenant ledgers are in perfect shape, it is much easier to work with tenants on their payments and charges. We were also able to streamline the eviction process easier with the activities feature. The activities feature can use improvement, but it's a step up from keeping track in a spreadsheet.

Brittany R.

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

AppFolio is very user friendly. I am able to do everything I need for my job as a property manager. I contact tenants, collect rent, send emails, send texts, create/print/complete work orders, view/edit contact information, as well as a numerous list that would go on.

What do you dislike?

There are times in AppFolio when a tenant is behind on rent, and the system will not show you exactly how much they owe when you are doing 3 day notices. It shows you just rental information, excluding late fees, or any other additional charges.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are wondering if you should use AppFolio, I would say ABSOLUTELY! It allows me to manage complexes while my corporate office is 2000 miles away. We can both get on the phone, and see exactly the same thing at the same time, and discuss how the properties are.

The business benefits are gigantic. I am able to do everything I need to for my job, and not need any other type of software ever. It stores everything I need from leases ,to pictures, also including tenant related notes.

Melanie V.

"Has improved our business tremendously"

What do you like best?

This software has dramatically increased our efficiency in every aspect.

What do you dislike?

Two factor authentication continues to require code several times a day or daily on the same computer with the box checked for save for 30 days

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This continues to be the greatest thing we have done for our business in 15+ years

Lease signings used to be in the office, taking 45 minutes to review with tenant. We can now have the tenant review online, take their time and ask questions if needed.

Tenants have the ability to create work orders which dramatically deceased our call volume.

Elizabeth Paul G.

"Love this Software!"

What do you like best?

I have used so many property management products over the years and this one is by far the easiest software! It keeps all the information relevant to a specific property, HOA or building in one place and you don't have to search hard for relevant info.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have complaints - the AppFolio team is always responsive on suggested changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While this software may be more expensive than others, it is worth every penny!

AppFolio helps with all aspects of property management. All information is kept in the same place so multiple people can access account updates if the PM is not available.

Vivian M.

"Appfolio Property Management"

What do you like best?

Their search features are great and the program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Maintenance inspections we are not able to pull reports from them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to simplify accounting processes and just make it easy for your employees to search for information or pull reports then this is your program. Appfolio's search feature is the best and it shortens your time to find information considerably. Their support team is efficient and responds back in a timely manner to every support request. The Accounting is very easy to manage and sending reports from the system with all supporting paperwork is one of the easiest we have had in all our property management programs ever. Appfolio is allowing us to go more paperless which helps the bottom line on expenses a lot. The program has allowed us to grow but not have to add several more employees which helps the bottom line a lot. We wish we have converted sooner.

Getting rentals posted to our website has been great simplified and time management on a lot of processes has allow us to get more work done with the same amount of employees even though we have grown.

Gavin S.

"the software is pretty awesome"

What do you like best?

ease of use and integration of everything that property management has to deal with in one software. the previously software we used we had to manually input from one accounting section to another. It's great to not have to do that and have everything integrated. clicking on items showing where the numbers came from is also great ie - Income Statement - there's an expense for $1000, my supervisor can go in and click and click and see that it was an expense for this invoice for this vendor.

What do you dislike?

how you cant really specifically separate different tenant CAM processes. Reconciling the Bank statement with Appfolio is a little weird at first. The initial bank reconciliation was difficult to understand what was going on and the reports are very different. It's also very easy to go back and change things from previous financial statements which is kind of flawed. There should be a way to close a month so that you cant go back and edit things that easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

test it out. the program is awesome and the customer services are great

full integtration of all accounting into one software. we were using a really old system. this is great

Lois S.

"AppFolio Makes My Life Easier and More Efficient"

What do you like best?

I love that AppFolio innovates constantly. Just one of the many innovations recently was adding the ability and send and receive texts on AppFolio to the Owners and Tenants. That way, it is a permanent record on their account. They also added bill pay; much easier! I also love that they have a place for our suggestions and implement them. When they have created something new, it actually works the first time!

What do you dislike?

The thing I wish they had was a "bad debt write off" feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend AppFolio! It makes property management immensely easier!

They have Tenant and Owner Portals and online payments, which significantly reduced time spent on receiving rent and paying Owners. Paying with bill pay or eCheck also significantly reduced time spent on payables.

Learn more about AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Property Manager Videos

Learning about AppFolio Property Manager?

* We monitor all AppFolio Property Manager reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.