AppFolio Property Manager Reviews & Product Details

AppFolio Property Manager Overview

What is AppFolio Property Manager?

AppFolio Property Manager offers an all-in-one solution with accounting, marketing, leasing, and management functionality for multifamily and single-family, commercial, student housing, community association, and mixed portfolio property managers. Our cloud-based property management software includes the ability to: - Provide instant access to reports and statements directly through an Owner Portal - Post vacancy ads to your website and hundreds of listing sites on the Internet with one click - Accept online rental applications and leases - Quickly screen residents - Streamline rent collection online - Perform mobile inspections - Communicate with residents through text messages - Perform community association tasks, such as violation tracking, board member approvals, architectural approvals, and more Contact us for a free demo.

AppFolio Property Manager Details
English, Spanish

AppFolio Property Manager is an all-in-one property management software that allows apartment, residential, commercial, student housing, and community association managers to more effectively market, manage and grow their business.

AppFolio provides cost-effective, cloud-based rental property management software that allows apartment, residential, commercial and student housing property managers to more effectively market, automate and grow their business. Our rental property software includes complete accounting and property management functionality with the ability to email work-orders, owner statements and resident communications. Integrated marketing features allow you to post vacancy ads to your website and hundreds of listing sites on the Internet.

Residents can also pay rent online each month—this is included with the monthly subscription fee. Data can be automatically migrated from your existing rental management software and outstanding service and training are included with the simple monthly fees. AppFolio is committed to industry education and is the provider of PropertyManager.com, an online education resources for landlords, owners and property managers. Integrated applications for prospective renters allow prospects to apply to rent apartments and homes online.

AppFolio
1,248 employees on LinkedIn®

AppFolio Property Manager Videos

AppFolio Property Manager Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the AppFolio Property Manager community
Have you used AppFolio Property Manager before?

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

Showing 187 AppFolio reviews
Already have AppFolio Property Manager?
Broker/Owner
What do you like best?

The software itself works great for it's intended purpose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Customer resolution is completely unresponsive. I have been trying to get an issue resolved and have had an active case open since October 2020. I have been told each time by customer success reps that "I can't believe no one has called you back yet, I will leave a message for the manager right now and you will get a call back today." I'm starting to believe that there are no managers! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I purchased the company from my broker. I have a new tax ID number and therefore need a new Appfolio account open and all of the accounts downloaded to the new company. Really confused why this is so difficult. I'm sure a different company would be happy to open a new account for me! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Designer
Customer Service Assistant
What do you like best?

AppFolio is very easy to toggle between the owner page, tenant page, property page, etc. The use of notes and being able to track texts is a plus! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We recently updated our website to an AppFolio website and we have had multiple issues where AppFolio's partners (specifically rent.com) does not remove listings when we remove it from our AF page. AppFolio has been great about resolving it with us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AppFolio has a bas fee of $250 and then charges per unit. I recommend appfolio for larger companies or if you manage different types like commercial, single-family, and vacation properties for example. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use AF at my job in each aspect, paying bills, posting ads, tenant payments, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operations Manager
Real Estate
What do you like best?

Their search features are great and the program is very user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Owners request reports that it seems like you need to create your own report because there is just one thing missing from Appfolio's reports that the owner wants to show in the report they want. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to simplify accounting processes and just make it easy for your employees to search for information or pull reports then this is your program. Appfolio's search feature is the best and it shortens your time to find information considerably. Their support team is efficient and responds back in a timely manner to every support request. The Accounting is very easy to manage and sending reports from the system with all supporting paperwork is one of the easiest we have had in all our property management programs ever. Appfolio is allowing us to go more paperless which helps the bottom line on expenses a lot. The program has allowed us to grow but not have to add several more employees which helps the bottom line a lot. We wish we had converted sooner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Getting rentals posted to our website has been greatly simplified and time management on a lot of processes has allow us to get more work done with the same amount of employees even though we have grown in size as far as managing properties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

I like that I can easily attach documents to my tenants accounts for viewing, but many systems can do that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Support is a deal breaker, the hard core of the system. What good is the most sophisticated system in the world if the people who run it don't know or don't care to back it up.

If you try to get support in any matter, from the simple "I'm trying to undo an operation" to a more complex accounting solution, get ready to get the shoulder. Appfolio is only interested in banking your account. Once you are in, you are ALONE. their support team seems to be run by un trained employees who perhaps know how to reset your password and it will take 3 days for them to get back to you only to ask you to set up an appointment for a future date. Beware that your client's concerns are not important to Appfolio. That urgent report you need to turn in, it will have to wait a week.

And don't even think about asking a more complex accounting issue like reconciliating, or equity. Don't even expect the initial import of your data base to be set up correctly. They will mess up your financials and good luck getting any assistance from them in getting that fixed. Perhaps the damage may be repaired by something as simple as modifying a few entries, but without their assistance you are as good as toast.

In short, be prepared to look like a fool before your clients! Or you may also want to consider elaborating you Financial Reports by hand, you will be better off.

I am sorry for the review, but I have been unsuccessfully trying for months to get the attention and proper assistance from Support and Management via email and phone and it has been impossible to do so. Appfolio Management deserves to know what is going with Customer Care. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trying to solve, at least 2 problems, I have not yet seen any benefits from using Appfolio. I've been stuck with the same issue since I became a client in June 2020. It has been a huge waste of both energy and time. I am still relying on my old System. so I have to work twice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

I like that all of our associations are consolidated in 1 area and are easily accessed in 1 sign on, vs signing in and out of many different Quickbooks files. I also use and love the Smart Bill feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I do not like, but there is one thing that I do find frustrating. When needing to advance to the next page on the list of associations, I don't have the option to list all on the same page, or navigate to the second page at the top. I must scroll through the list. There are several that I know are on the second page, so if I could just access the second page from the top of the list. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were exploring online election options for our board elections ahead of the annual meetings. We found a solution, but all of notices would have been added to each homeowner's account manually. I contacted tech support to see if it were possible to use the AppFolio software to conduct the election via the homeowner portals. We found out that there is election software in AppFolio being bata tested. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

AppFolio combines every aspect of property management into one user friendly, easily mastered platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

AppFolio has certain protections in place to avoid accounting mistakes. These protections require additional steps to work through (in comparison to other platforms) in order to get the required results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for an all encompassing platform that covers all aspects of property management, this software is exactly what you need. The ease of use saves countless hours and minimizes cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

From communication with tenants to every aspect in regards to sales and marketing, AppFolio allows us one platform to do our job and run our business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

You can do just about anything you need to do with this software, from automated 5 days, to even customizing when the late fees are posted, and easily sending statements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can take a while to learn how to use the program well, and some of the terminology can be difficult to learn. There are so many places to go within the software that serve a good purpose but that can be intimidating at first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Appfolio makes it easy to allow our tenants and owners stay updated on their accounts with us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how its user friendly and easy to navigate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike technical support. They are not that helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I defiantly think you should try it out. Its very user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love how work order status is available for the tenant and the vendor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's very user friendly and the mobile app is convenient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to put two adults on the same application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is definitely worth using. Has made our company a lot more proficient in all aspects of our job. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Appfolio has made our paperless transaction very easy. It saves me so much time on leases and deposits. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vice President
What do you like best?

The team at AppFolio consistently listens to customer feedback, support needs, and improvements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish AppFolio had more solutions for our commercial properties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fully invest your time and energy to learning the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systemizing my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Property Manager
What do you like best?

The maintenance request handling. It’s organized and self explanatory. It’s easy to use for those submitting a request and for those who are handling and assigning vendors Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I were able to submit a request as a property on behalf of a property from the mobile app. The app is limited. I wish it weren’t so much Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great software and easy to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When vendors are receiving work orders, they sometimes have to log in for some reason. Also- if a photo is included with the maintenance request, you cannot include with ‘notifying’ the owner via the drop down. Photos can only be added if you’re emailing the owner but must put in the recipients email Manually. It’s annoying and time consuming to have to do that Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

The software, for the most part, is very easy to use. There are multiple ways to document information and keep up with the work you are doing. The software in and of itself is a wonderful fit for a busy property management company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The accounting is overly complex and getting assistance from support is near impossible. The agents are friendly when you do actually get to speak to someone. If they would improve the time to respond to service requests they would dominate the market. The weakness in their support has us considering other options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AppFolio makes it easy to track and document communication with prospective tenants. The leasing process is very simple and easy to follow. This has helped us identify how much work goes into marketing a property and communicating with prospective tenants. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is so easy to navigate and very user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There maybe updates recently that changes my access Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be afraid to click on the things or buttons on AF. It is so user friendly and it is so easy to navigate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Maintenance concerns. It is so easy to use and access. It makes my job easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

The availability/accessibility across multiple platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see push notifications available when I am logged on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ability to work from anywhere!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Property Manager
What do you like best?

I like that AppFolio is extremely user friendly and that it is compatible on multiple platforms- computers, smart phones, tablets, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Using other softwares in the past (Yardi and OneSite) I feel there are features that AppFolio lacks to make specific tasks seamless. However I know AppFolio is continuing to release updates so I’m sure the work flow will become more simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those that are looking at potentially switching to AppFolio, I would highly recommend making the switch! The transition was quite easy, the software is extremely user friendly, and the product itself definitely check marks all our needs for property management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As new updates roll out, I.e. Smart Bill, Track Estimates, etc., it makes my work flow easier and more seamless. It is allowing me to better manage funds to allocate them for approved work orders and entering bills in a more efficient manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy search feature- helps you find any tenant or applicant Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

logging in to view credit reports, and you have to back into the application (it doesn't take you right to the report) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Electronic lease signings during COVID, which has helped reduced contact

Electronic payments help people pay during COVID without having to come to the office Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Broker / VP of Sales and Marketing
What do you like best?

AppFolio is intuitive and user-friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The lease and paperwork function needs improvement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilize the help offered, because it's instrumental in your future success. We trust AppFolio so much that we're switching to AppFolio+. We pay for other programs to do what AppFolio+ does, and we decided it makes the most sense to invest in what helps us most and only requires utilizing one program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With all of the legislative changes in Portland, tracking is imperative. We're utilizing Fixed Assets to keep track of unit-specific items for our depreciation requirement, inspections help with photo documentation and cataloguing make/model numbers. The delinquency notes function has allowed us to shift a job duty to an admin staff member, freeing up time for managers and higher-level thinkers, and we appreciate all of the changes that happen after valuable community feedback is assessed and discussed. We greatly appreciate being part of the beta program, and the efficiencies built into our company largely come from our decision to utilize AppFolio. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

If I have an issue, I can start with a chat session and, if needed, have a case opened for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some issues require a conversation, and emailing can confuse the issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to take the training videos offered for free with the program. Also, be sure that you balance your accounts before transferring over to AppFolio accounting system for easier transition. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Problems such as accounting corrections or modifications due to inaccurate data entry. These have been proven to be easy fixes. Benefits including lease renewal reminders and the ability to assign activity tasks to team members makes our day run smoothly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Tenants paying rent online and turning in maintenance request online.

Paying vendors so much easier.

Having access to cash flow reports and vendor ledgers at all times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We do not care for the credit score change. We have had quite a few more denied applications since the change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Less payable checks to sign.

Less mistakes on lease documents. So great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Ease of use and very user friendly. Have started coming out with updates more frequently in the last year than 2+ years ago. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Still come across things that seem like common sense that should be available, but are not. Hopefully they are added or implemented soon! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your homework as this is a 3+ year decision and switching systems involves a lot of work and a large cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use AppFolio to manage our rental properties we both own and manage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Broker/Owner
What do you like best?

AppFolio is constantly listening to their clients and making positive changes to their software to meet an abundance of needs. This makes Property Management a much more pleasant career. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are still a few tweaks that could be made and support requests are submitted online instead of talking to a live person. Sometimes we cannot explain the exact situation to where the support representative can understand the problem. We get answers 3-4 days later. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take your time when implementing the changeover and get educated with all of the features available so you can communicate with your clients and tenants about the procedure changes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The documentation saved in the software has improved the amount of time we wasted before trying to find a paper trail to all of our situations. For example, we were losing written maintenance requests, money orders, emails, etc. Texting feature has been a tremendous help as well. Owners and tenants love the portal feature! Direct ACH payments to Owners' bank accounts has been a life saver (no more stuffing envelopes, stamping, mailing, etc.). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Property Manager
What do you like best?

I like that the software is so easy to use. I never have any problems locating what I need to. Everything is fast and convenient. I have not had to experience any other property management software, but when I first started my journey with Appfolio it was easy to learn and understand. Overall, I would say this software can be used by beginners as well as experienced users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that I cannot click a prospective residents email and take me to the guest card. Sometimes it is hard to find the exact guest card they email me from. I feel it would be easier if response emails (from prospects) had an option to click a link that would take you directly to their guest card. Because I have to track down the guest card sometimes and this can be frustrating when I am busy during the day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend giving Appfolio a shot when considering it because it is easy to use, fast, supportive and most of all convenient to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Appfolio is amazing anytime I need help locating something I can go to the help page and find an answer. Using Appfolio has helped speed up the leasing process and marketing process. Marketing with Appfolio is a breeze. I can make a marketing flyer through the software as well as market the vacant units online all with a few clicks. It is easier than needing multiple websites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Property Manager/Lead Leasing Agent
What do you like best?

We have everything in one place. It makes looking up tenants or information so easy. It has items organized super well on their individual pages too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have two things - pets and the move out process. Pets are becoming a bigger part of our tenants' lives. It is great that we have a place to put them in on the unit. But I would love to have the option to "attach" them to their owner. We manage properties in a college town, so most of our tenants are students and not families. The move out process with students is very hard. We have some units where we never fully turn them over, new tenants just keep replacing the old. We then have a unit that lists over 10 tenants, when it should just show the current ones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just do it! It is the best software out there. They have amazing customer service, super easy to get a hang of it and it integrates beautifully. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Organization of tenants and their information. Sending leases is great too. It is all in one place and both of us are able to access it. Also, mass communication is something that has solved a lot of our issues. We are able to text/email a building or property if we need to relay information. It is also helping with our vacancy rates. It shows a bigger picture of what we need leased/have leased. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Honestly, the texting app is probably the feature that I find the most beneficial to our team. I can see at a glance exactly what the maintenance department has planned with a tenant, what previous conversations there have been, or what arrangements my co-managers have made. Similarly, having a central hub for notes, emails, and letters all work together to help us provide unified and accurate communication to tenants, investors, and vendors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The inspections are still a bit clunky. I wish for a platform that would have better integration for high resolution pictures which are critical to an accurate and useful inspection. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Always ask for help from the community of experts when you run into an issue with the program. They give very quick, personalized service and can often get you on the right track. Even if the desired feature isn't available, they will add your vote to the list of potential future developments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All of our work is centered around Appfolio. I love the ease of scheduling showings with prospective tenants. The system automatically stores the appointment, texts reminders, and updates my Google calendar. I would love if the same system could be applied to scheduling other appointments such as move-ins, inspections, or maintenance repairs with a tenant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.