AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Property Manager is an all-in-one property management software that allows apartment, residential, commercial, student housing, and community association managers to more effectively market, manage and grow their business.

Work for AppFolio Property Manager?

Learning about AppFolio?

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

Ask AppFolio a Question
Showing 127 AppFolio reviews
AppFolio review by Barbara G.
Barbara G.

"Best software & leverage Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Great to access from anywhere, phone friendly, database keeps all information available. The organization is complete and easy to train new people on how to use. Guest cards are so helpful, able to track down all leads and verify interest. The reminders and action logs are very useful between departments and keeping all staff aware of pertinent info.

What do you dislike?

I believe the reporting should be more flexible and customizable. Accountants are not in love with our reports published. I don't like having to export into an excel spreadsheet to tweak or move data to my needs. I would also like better vacancy rate details.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it was like changing from PC systems to MAC products. once you get it, you never go back.

We are able to leverage large amounts of data with move in, move outs, owner correspondence, delinquencies. The collection agency is easy to use. Online payments have freed up tons of admin time for our staff. History of inspections has backed us up when needed. History of text, notes and emails also very helpful in legal matters.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about AppFolio Property Manager
AppFolio review by Maria Q.
Maria Q.

"AppFolio - Made the right choice switching over "

What do you like best?

The AppFolio function is simple, error-proof, love that its online and I can access it from my smartphone. It has brought down our calls internally from tenants, now they can review their accounts online and place work orders no need to call the office anymore.

What do you dislike?

As of today no complains, the best thing we ever did was switch ever from Yardi to AppFolio.

Well, there is one Con for those that are not computer shabby don't think you will be able to get someone over the phone right away to help you out. You will have to wait until a rep get back to you via email

we currently have no problems with Appfolio smooth sailing for us, there customer service team is quick to reply if or when an issue needs to be resolved. My advice is to take time and review those helpful self-help tools and videos they have.

What Property Management solution do you use?

AppFolio review by Angela G.
Angela G.

"Best Industry Software Available"

What do you like best?

I have utilized many different industry software options over the last 15+ years. AppFolio is by far the most user friendly, which is critical in an industry where there's little time for training new employees. AppFolio is also the most efficient tool I've used for resident communication and retention efforts. I've been extremely pleased to see AppFolio take customer feedback and create new features that make our daily workflow more efficient. Their Support Team is by far the most responsive, educated and caring team out there. AppFolio is the only software I would recommend or choose to use. Great job, AppFolio!

What do you dislike?

There is no feature to pro-rate move-outs. This is something that really needs to be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommendations would be outlined in responses above.

Benefits to using AppFolio can be seen from the financial savings compared to competitor products, time saving in numerous aspects and more. Overall, AppFolio is a much more efficient and cost effective industry tool.

AppFolio review by Sam W.
Sam W.

"Excellent Software - Highly Recommended for Property Management Companies "

What do you like best?

Reporting, Universal Search, Customer Support. The ability to search all of AppFolio in their universal search bar is incredible. Doesn't matter if I need tenant, owner, property or specific unit info. I can access all of it very quickly. That plus the varied and detailed reports we can create are incredible. We used AppFolio when working at a 418 unit HOA. It was our first time with HOA management and AppFolio support was incredible. They worked with us to port over data from the old property management software system (TOPS) and did so in a way that was very convenient, quick and efficient. We felt supported throughout the whole process and was able to get the software online and activated very quickly. Once up and running, we sent tenant and owner portal activation emails and were surprised at how quickly individuals adopted the online system. The reporting, the universal search and the customer care we received makes AppFolio awesome.

What do you dislike?

When reviewing property photos on the property page, you cannot click on the thumbnail image to see a larger version of it. You have to download then open. This is inconvenient, especially when our maintenance department needs to review work orders submitted by Property Managers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this Software. Its really thorough and easy to use.

We are able to keep excellent track of our move-in/move-out flow thanks to AppFolio. It keeps our data very organized. Move-in and move-out planning has been very easy.

AppFolio review by Liz S.
Liz S.

"Manage several complexes in ONE SETTING! "

What do you like best?

I love using AppFolio as I am able to manage over 4 apartment complexes all from one office setting. I can view tenants online portals, at real time, I can collect payments, create work orders, and send out mass emails instead of having to go door to door to deliver notes!

What do you dislike?

The only dislike that I could think of is when I am preparing 3 day notices, the system does not always include the late fees, and/or additional charges such as garages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would just recommend that they look at the letter portions, and possibly put the full balance that is owed, instead of just a portion of it.

AppFolio has numerous business benefits, such as my corporate office and myself can have weekly conferences regarding the properties, and be able to see live ( real-time) how everything is doing from delinquencies, to work orders.

AppFolio review by Elizabeth R.
Elizabeth R.

"Love this program!"

What do you like best?

Seriously, everything! We love receiving payments, making deposits, creating work orders (and receiving them from our tenants through their online portals). This is also a great software for storing all of our documents to each tenants account, which can be accessed online. It gives us the peace of mind knowing if something ever happened to our paper copies of different documents, we have them uploaded to AppFolio.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, we haven’t found anything about this software that we don’t like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This software will have every thing you need to manage rental property. Definitely worth the investment.

AppFolio makes keeping up with our business so much easier. Everything we need is one place. It’s also wonderful to be able to access AppFolio from anywhere.

AppFolio review by Heather U.
Heather U.

"User friendly, variety of features, always improving/updating and great support services!"

What do you like best?

This is our MAIN program in the office; therefore, I use it every single day. It's always open on one of my Internet tabs on Mozilla. The actual layout of the homepage, including the color scheme of the program, is easy to follow, read, understand, and pleasing to the eye (soft blue hues). You can easily keep track of vendors, owners, tenants and billing/invoicing. I think it's a quick program to learn even though there are so many features I don't personally use - I know several other people in our office use them. If we ever have an issue we can contact them and the turn around time is super fast. They call us and are always helpful and knowledgeable and even follow up with emails after the calls. AppFolio welcomes suggestions from clients and actually follows through with implementing the updates! They are always evolving and making things easier and more efficient.

What do you dislike?

Only a few very technical items that wouldn't necessarily make sense to non-users and I haven't even cared enough to submit requests on the issues. It'd be nice if parking was easier to keep track of on the system and it's charged "by door" so if you have multiple units and properties you can really rack up the door pricing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

Maintenance orders are a breeze with our system. Vendors are integrated with billing and we have all the information in one place. We also find it very easy to advertise with this program and it goes out to several locations and websites. Our website is also powered through AppFolio so it saves us an additional step when making updates and getting the most accurate information out there.

AppFolio review by Administrator

"Diversified property management portfolio that is extremely happy with Appfolio!"

What do you like best?

We like the advertising module the best out of all of the modules. This feature allows our owners to have exposure to so many sites with just one single data entry source.

What do you dislike?

We dislike the number of steps some of the actions take, such as if we accidentally cancel a move in to switch a tenant to another unit, the system loses all of the data for the tenant and puts the security deposit into the clearing account and we have to move this person out, pay the deposit and then redo all of the steps to enter the applicant in. I would like to have a change unit feature.

Marketing. We used to have a full time person working on our marketing ads for each of the properties, multiple billing invoices we had to process and just was an overall headache. We wish Appfolio could post to Facebook and Craig's List and we would be set!

AppFolio review by Zach D.
Zach D.

"Great Software for Owners, Managers, & Tenants"

What do you like best?

The easy layout for tenants is the great. Everyone, old and young, has no issues making payments and submitting work orders online!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I'd like to see different would be the system's payables will default to only show bills due as of today or up to 1 week behind. We have to change these dates EVERY time we print checks. It would be nice to show advance dates by default, as we NEVER want to print the check the day it's due.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you think you dont have enough units to justify the pricing they offer, think again. I tried to go with others for a lower price, but wasted 2 months before going with AppFolio, and I only wish I had done it sooner!

Increased visibility in the community is a great one! The INCLUDED marketing aspect alone took one property that was staying at 40% occupied when I took over, and went to 100% within less than a month with this software! I am the one stop shop for my department (only person) so I have to handle lease up, inspections, low income qualifications, asset management, etc. This system makes everything SO easy to work remotely. Online marketing, online inquiries, online applications, online lease signings, online payments, and online work orders.

User in Real Estate

"Appfolio Property Management is a great program"

What do you like best?

The Appfolio software is very user friendly and has all the information that you need for the properties, owners and tenants.

What do you dislike?

The only issues I have is that it may sometimes take a day or two to get a response when you have a problem and they seem to want to respond by email instead of talking with you and helping you walk through the issues. You never get the same person that you dealt with the last time so it's always someone different. Also, it's hard to search for a past tenant in the system if you don't remember their name but only remember the address. It looks like the system should somehow allow you to pull up past tenants by their previous address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this program. I would suggest going to a company, like I did, that already uses Appfolio so you can see first hand what the program will do for your needs.

Anytime their is a problem that we can't figure out on our own, we just send them a request and they will get back to us to help work out any problems or issues we are having with the program. The support team has always been helpful when we needed them!

"Excellent Software "

What do you like best?

Appfolio is very user-friendly. Since we began using the service I have been very pleased with how easy it is to navigate through the system to accomplish what I need. We also love the fact that Appfolio is very innovative. There are constantly new features added which is an excellent bonus.

What do you dislike?

The only real thing that I think could improve is customer service response time. The customer service representatives we work with are excellent, however, there have been a few times we have had to wait 2-3 days for a response which can get tricky if we need an answer quickly. Other than that, the service has been amazing.

We use just about every feature that Appfolio provides. I would say the two main features that we are using are both the accounting end of things, as well as the marketing side. We love the marketing tools that Appfolio provides for Residential Properties. Things are made much easier to be able to click one button to list on all of the necessary sites. The accounting features are excellent as well to ensure that Owners are understanding all income and expenses each month.

AppFolio review by Madeley F.
Madeley F.

"A MUST USE! Successfully manage apartments, or homes!"

What do you like best?

I love this software as it allows me to collect rent, send out notices, create/close work orders, and handle everything I need for my job from any where! I have an app I use on my phone, as well as I am able to work from home, and the office!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the pricing. My company is a lot smaller so I am unable to do all the marketing I want without paying a higher price. Each lead on known websites can range from $10+ and those leads go quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this program. Even thought the cost is higher, the software has been a huge success in our business!

I am able to solve all of my business problems in one setting!

AppFolio review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Recommended for Maximum Property Marketing Exposure "

What do you like best?

AppFolio allows me to market rental properties in my area. Appfolio's syndication knows how to market your home to the right target audience. I use primarily RentLinx, which is one of AppFolio's services that specializes in advertising rentals to other sites like Craigslist, Apartments.com, Trulia, ShowMeTheRent, and many more. I get the most successful leads through Rentlinx and quality exposure.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is on the high side, which isn't ideal for a boutique company on a budget. As a result, our company cannot market all of the properties on our inventory equally unless we're willing to pay a lot more in pricing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take into consideration your budget, business size, and your business needs when choosing your plan. You can easily find yourself paying excessive amounts of money for services you won't have any use for.

Increasing marketing exposure for our rental inventory. I believe with the use of services from AppFolio like RentLinx, the system works to prioritize the exposure of your listing over others. One of the biggest benefits is the syndication feature. I use RentLinx to post an ad, and it automatically lists it to other websites like Craigslist, Trulia, etc.

AppFolio review by Darla B.
Darla B.

"Great Property Management Software Solution"

What do you like best?

The software is very user friendly. Appfolio is proactive in updates and pushes them out as they become available. The support is top notch. Appfolio is a very affordable software that meets most of our needs.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they make a change that they are excited about but in the great scheme of things, it is not a good change. They have a hard time understanding that not all companies operate the same and there need to be ways to avoid some changes if you don't want them. Some changes are just forced upon you and you have to figure out a work around once they implement it.

Prior to Appfolio, we were struggling to grow without adding more staff due to the outdated software we used to have. Appfolio has allowed us to streamline many systems and avoid having to add staff in order to grow.

AppFolio review by Jim C.
Jim C.

"User for 4+ years"

What do you like best?

That it integrates so many functions like Tenant screening and application management, our website and rental listing syndication. It’s user friendly and customer support is usually really good.

What do you dislike?

Because so many features are integrated there are so me sacrifices with regards to customization. If you want to take advantage of third party products, you have to discard the benefits of the ecosystem created by appfolio. Also some of their missing feature sets don’t make sense when they are offered in other parts of the software and are highly requested by users - yet they remain unaddressed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

AppFolio is a strong contender in the property manager space, at least in the top 2-3 if not leader of the pack. It has it's strong points and weak points, but overall it's a very strong platform.

Most property management software systems address the basic needs. Appfolio, I think cuts down on employee training time because it’s so user friendly and intuitive. And despite its faults, the ecosystem of compatible and integrated features create simplicity and saves a lot of time

AppFolio review by shane w.
shane w.

"Overall Satisfaction with AppFolio Property Manager"

What do you like best?

Typically, AppFolio answers all questions the same day. However, I've had issues with Apartments.com pulling our information on available listings and consistently advertising incorrectly. I've contacted AppFolio more than 3 times about this in the last month and they said they would look into it and work on getting it figured out with them. However, I've had two more incidents since then and I just feel like I'm not being heard. However, I do give them a higher rating because I feel like they DO try their best and they are VERY responsive when we have major issues (this is more of an inconvenience issue). They do have room for improvement but overall, they're on the right track.

What do you dislike?

Adding new tenants with future tenants already moved in - it's a major process (hiding tenants, moving tenants in, unhiding tenants, changing dates).How charges are calculated and how we have to keep of certain items on our end instead of the system doing what it should do automatically.

Letters - creating uniform, consistent, accurate letters to send out to tenants or owners

Reports - creating tenant directories, owner directories, vendor ledgers, etc...

Applications - completing, submitting, entering, screening, and contacting applicants as well as co-signers.

AppFolio review by Michael W.
Michael W.

"President"

What do you like best?

The ability to see everything from anywhere. We are a VERY mobile workforce and really love being able to pull anything up from just about anywhere in the world.

What do you dislike?

Online Leases. There a lot of quarks that make this hard to manage. Most things in AF are quick and easy to set up, this is not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning and setting it up to take advantage of the features.

Payments have been a great thing to solve on our end. We used to print and mail checks and it was horrible. Love the bill pay and ach payments.

Administrator in Real Estate

"Well rounded property management database"

What do you like best?

The program is extremely easy to use and user friendly. There are many hyperlinks which make my work flow much smoother. Online payments are super easy for the tenants and I love how we can view their portal "live"- it makes it much easier to assist the tenants. Their support is pretty fast and easy to reach.

What do you dislike?

If there is a feature that we think should be incorporated, it is very hard to get the support team to approve it. It has to be voted in, and even then it takes a while. As some other reviewers wrote, parking is difficult to keep track of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great program and smoothes workflow for the entire offfice.

Tenant ledgers are in perfect shape, it is much easier to work with tenants on their payments and charges. We were also able to streamline the eviction process easier with the activities feature. The activities feature can use improvement, but it's a step up from keeping track in a spreadsheet.

AppFolio review by Brittany R.
Brittany R.

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

AppFolio is very user friendly. I am able to do everything I need for my job as a property manager. I contact tenants, collect rent, send emails, send texts, create/print/complete work orders, view/edit contact information, as well as a numerous list that would go on.

What do you dislike?

There are times in AppFolio when a tenant is behind on rent, and the system will not show you exactly how much they owe when you are doing 3 day notices. It shows you just rental information, excluding late fees, or any other additional charges.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are wondering if you should use AppFolio, I would say ABSOLUTELY! It allows me to manage complexes while my corporate office is 2000 miles away. We can both get on the phone, and see exactly the same thing at the same time, and discuss how the properties are.

The business benefits are gigantic. I am able to do everything I need to for my job, and not need any other type of software ever. It stores everything I need from leases ,to pictures, also including tenant related notes.

AppFolio review by Melanie V.
Melanie V.

"Has improved our business tremendously"

What do you like best?

This software has dramatically increased our efficiency in every aspect.

What do you dislike?

Two factor authentication continues to require code several times a day or daily on the same computer with the box checked for save for 30 days

Recommendations to others considering the product

This continues to be the greatest thing we have done for our business in 15+ years

Lease signings used to be in the office, taking 45 minutes to review with tenant. We can now have the tenant review online, take their time and ask questions if needed.

Tenants have the ability to create work orders which dramatically deceased our call volume.

AppFolio review by Elizabeth G.
Elizabeth G.

"Love this Software!"

What do you like best?

I have used so many property management products over the years and this one is by far the easiest software! It keeps all the information relevant to a specific property, HOA or building in one place and you don't have to search hard for relevant info.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have complaints - the AppFolio team is always responsive on suggested changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While this software may be more expensive than others, it is worth every penny!

AppFolio helps with all aspects of property management. All information is kept in the same place so multiple people can access account updates if the PM is not available.

AppFolio review by Vivian M.
Vivian M.

"Appfolio Property Management"

What do you like best?

Their search features are great and the program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Maintenance inspections we are not able to pull reports from them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to simplify accounting processes and just make it easy for your employees to search for information or pull reports then this is your program. Appfolio's search feature is the best and it shortens your time to find information considerably. Their support team is efficient and responds back in a timely manner to every support request. The Accounting is very easy to manage and sending reports from the system with all supporting paperwork is one of the easiest we have had in all our property management programs ever. Appfolio is allowing us to go more paperless which helps the bottom line on expenses a lot. The program has allowed us to grow but not have to add several more employees which helps the bottom line a lot. We wish we have converted sooner.

Getting rentals posted to our website has been great simplified and time management on a lot of processes has allow us to get more work done with the same amount of employees even though we have grown.

AppFolio review by Gavin S.
Gavin S.

"the software is pretty awesome"

What do you like best?

ease of use and integration of everything that property management has to deal with in one software. the previously software we used we had to manually input from one accounting section to another. It's great to not have to do that and have everything integrated. clicking on items showing where the numbers came from is also great ie - Income Statement - there's an expense for $1000, my supervisor can go in and click and click and see that it was an expense for this invoice for this vendor.

What do you dislike?

how you cant really specifically separate different tenant CAM processes. Reconciling the Bank statement with Appfolio is a little weird at first. The initial bank reconciliation was difficult to understand what was going on and the reports are very different. It's also very easy to go back and change things from previous financial statements which is kind of flawed. There should be a way to close a month so that you cant go back and edit things that easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

test it out. the program is awesome and the customer services are great

full integtration of all accounting into one software. we were using a really old system. this is great

AppFolio review by Lois S.
Lois S.

"AppFolio Makes My Life Easier and More Efficient"

What do you like best?

I love that AppFolio innovates constantly. Just one of the many innovations recently was adding the ability and send and receive texts on AppFolio to the Owners and Tenants. That way, it is a permanent record on their account. They also added bill pay; much easier! I also love that they have a place for our suggestions and implement them. When they have created something new, it actually works the first time!

What do you dislike?

The thing I wish they had was a "bad debt write off" feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend AppFolio! It makes property management immensely easier!

They have Tenant and Owner Portals and online payments, which significantly reduced time spent on receiving rent and paying Owners. Paying with bill pay or eCheck also significantly reduced time spent on payables.

AppFolio review by Cindy R.
Cindy R.

"Knowledgeable - Patient - Quick Response"

What do you like best?

All of the techincal support staff are excellent in customer service. They contact me right away and help to resolve any questions I may have in regards to accounting and use of the platform. They are very patient and explain the process until I have grasped the hows and whys. I cannot say enough positive affirmations in regards to their performance!

What do you dislike?

I truly cannot think of any negative aspects.

Ease of bookkeeping and record keeping for me. AppFolio makes every aspect of Property Management much smoother.

AppFolio review by Administrator

"Best Property Management Software I've Used to Date"

What do you like best?

It's very fluid and user friendly. I like that you can send emails/texts from within the software and everyone in the company is able to view if needed. It makes it very easy to find information between residents and owners.

What do you dislike?

There's very few things that I actually dislike about this software. I think the main thing that I dislike is the fact that it will occasionally change a few things about how the lease is written (mainly regarding system rules IE late fee) and that has to be changed manually every time. I'm sure I could easily reach out to AppFolio to have them review and change the error in the system but it's a very easy fix on my end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely look into AppFolio. I know many many property management companies that utilize AppFolio and love it. If you're coming from PropertyWare, AppFolio is must!!

With AppFolio, we have been able to be more structured with our process. The communication between owners and residents has dramatically increased. Since AppFolio takes care of many of the manual tasks we previously had to do, we are able to spend that time and energy focusing on the business, perfecting processes and procuring new business.

AppFolio review by Administrator

"So in depth, informative and right on point!"

What do you like best?

The dashboard. The ability to type in a few words and the system does the rest. Checking to see if work orders have been completed is a breeze! And the ability to send text messages to my residents!

What do you dislike?

Don't like that sometimes it takes a few windows to get to invoices. It may be a user thing though. Anything that's wrong is mostly user related. A better mobile app would be helpful

Recommendations to others considering the product

Appfolio is a one stop shop. It is a must have for any multi, single housing or hospitality industry

Being able to communicate with the property managers and give vendors instructions through Appfolio is so helpful. This save so many unforced eras out in the fields. Time is money!

"Senior Accountant Review"

What do you like best?

User friendly. Always updating to improve based on customer feedback. I like that you listen to your users and actually improve.

What do you dislike?

When I need assistance and it takes a day for it. For example, I needed a new bank linked to an account and I had to wait most of an operating day, but needed to print a check. It was very frustrating waiting for a response. I also would like to see improvement with the 1099 feature allowing more than one general ledger account applied to various boxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always advancing and keeping up with current technologies.

It's a much more organized system the way the system is interacting between the financial and tenant side. No double entry needed, which increases productivity.

AppFolio review by Administrator

"Administrator/Leasing/Property Manager - daily user"

What do you like best?

The ease of managing tenant accounts all in one software package and having real-time access for all of our staff, even from remote home offices. Marketing properties is easy and screening rental applicants is great! Electronic leases are generated with ease and they save so much back and forth time that was wasted with paper leases.

What do you dislike?

Could improve mailers/letters/labels function and allow tailoring of merge fields, bulk texting is a must (not currently available), accounting system could be more proficient.

Communication with tenants is much improved, posting charges and receiving tenant payments & utility reimbursements is improved. Texting individual tenants in real-time is immensely helpful because they very rarely respond to email correspondence. The marketing functions for rentals and tenant screening is super. Lease generation and electronic signing is so helpful.

User in Real Estate

"Allows Property Management to be ENJOYABLE!!"

What do you like best?

This product allows me to run a very busy property management business with ease. Accounting is simplified, maintenance is well documented, leases are signed electronically, tenant's and owner's make payments for free through their portals.... What more could you ask for?

What do you dislike?

A few cons, since nothing is perfect.... Cannot sign the inspections and the template is almost useless, so we use a third party. It can be timely getting support as you have to please a request and wait for them to contact you. Lastly, a new change in their system affected all of our suppressed charges and as a result is still creating a lot of extra work for our team.

Amazing organization. Constant updates and positive changes in their software. Ease of communicating and documenting everything through the system for all of our users to view.

AppFolio review by Consultant

"BEST software by far!"

What do you like best?

This software helps to make me feel extra organized and makes my job so much easier! There are so many reports that can be pulled as well as keeping up with our vacancies and upcoming move outs for our property.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I dislike. I would recommend this software to any apartment complex. It really helps you feel at ease and feel that you have everything under control and organized!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would HIGHLY recommend this software to any company. I am telling you, you will not regret going for this software, it will make your day to day operations throughout your office staff so much easier!!

Keeps up with rent payments, bills, customer information in an organized simple fashion. It really makes my job so much easier. I love when a tenant comes in with a question regarding their rent, I feel like I have everything together and can pull anything that's needed with just a click of the mouse. Can't go wrong with this software at all.

AppFolio review by Rachel M.
Rachel M.

"Easy, User Friendly and Efficient"

What do you like best?

It is very user friendly & easy to learn. Great for tracking properties, reporting, marketing and maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Lacks efficient inspection tracking, and I wish there was a search option for work orders to sort by alphabetical properties and/or vendors

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you track and update every home inspection on the individual property page. This will help later on when you pull a report on current inspections since you cannot search within a specific time frame.

It logs everything, easy to pull reports, track properties and manage a property management company with.

AppFolio review by Spencer S.
Spencer S.

"Appfolio for Property Management"

What do you like best?

Before Appfolio, we had to manually keep track of everything regarding our rentals. This included creating different spreadsheets and systems in Excel. Appfolio is great in that it can keep track of finances, contacts, and even generate maintenance requests. There are many more functions in Appfolio ,but we're not quite there yet.

What do you dislike?

Since we already created our systems, some of them aren't compatible with Appfolio. The areas that are very dependent on these systems can't be changed. While Appfolio could make our lives easier in those areas, such as monthly client statements, we can't change the system to better our needs. Because of this, there have been many occasions where I have had to call the Appfolio customer service team. They are more email based. If you call them, good luck actually getting a person! I guess they have a lot of customers so paying a phone based customer service team is too expensive. In any case, expect a day response or more, and since you're going back and forth with emails, sometimes, it takes pretty long to get the answer you're looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easier to switch over if you are newer rather than an older experienced company. Their customer support is not that easy to get a hold of, so if you are already tech savvy, you will have an easier time.

I believe I may have addressed this earlier, but there are many different problems that Appfolio helps us with. The biggest ones is our contact lists, advertising available rentals, record keeping, and maintenance requests. This has helped us save time as well as having a central area where we can pull any data we may need.

AppFolio review by Amy C.
Amy C.

"Appfolio Review"

What do you like best?

The ability for tenants to put in work orders online and pay online is a great asset. I like the layout of the Dashboard and that it has the ability to let me customize it to my needs. I like that the tenants/co-signers can sign leases online.

What do you dislike?

I am not the biggest fan of the accounting portion. We use two different account for Escrow and Operating and Appfolio allow us to enter both but it doesn't recognize them as separate. I do not like that when tenants pay online there is not a function to specify what they are paying. I also do not like that when doing a move out the owner doesn't see any of the transactions on the owner statement so they know what the funds were used for and what they were actually receiving.

It makes getting leases signed and deposits paid easier. The ability for tenant to pay rent and other charges online is also very helpful. Now that you can email through the program it keeps a better record that everyone can see.

"Assistant Community Director"

What do you like best?

It makes it easy to pull reports, read tenants ledgers, get resident info and depositing money is easier. I find it nice being to find something with just a few clicks rather than having to spend time trying to find a simple report. I also love that it lets me put residents under eviction and remove online payments to avoid NSF fees.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I cannot send mass emails nor texts to residents. I would like to have the ability to send mass alerts instead of having to go one by one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It makes everything easier. Once you complete the trainings and start using AppFolio, you will then see how much more easy it is to use and to find things. I would definitely recommend if you have more than 2 properties. You are to find all the things you need.

I dislike that I cannot send mass emails and texts. I do like that I can create 3 day notices and I can also pull reports within seconds. I would like if eventually we are able to communicate with all the residents at once.

AppFolio review by Joe V.
Joe V.

"Appfolio Listens To Their Customers And Makes The Updates!"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of using and creating reports, creating and updating a lease and Scheduling appointments.

What do you dislike?

I can not add or delete things from the calendar, would love to be able to add meetings and appointments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

THe product is great! Appfolio has a great team, they listen and make the changes necessary for You!

Switched to online payments last year. We have limited the cash, checks and money orders coming into the office. This was a big time saver for our company. We have 88% payments online.

AppFolio review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Good in the right hands"

What do you like best?

The ability to put requests in writing and having them time stamped, and more importantly, a way to pay rent online.

What do you dislike?

Not sure if this is software or user limitations, but there was no way to follow up on existing requests, I was always entering the same information again. Would have been beneficial to add-on to existing maintenance requests in order to have a better paper trail. Also, our property managers were very slow to respond and update tickets, so really never understood where we stood.

Communication with property managers and online payment of rent. Prior to this, I was relying on my bank's auto payment, but one time there was an error on the bank side and I was charged a $50 late fee. With Appfolio, it is all on the Property Managers to make any adjustments, but never have to worry about late payments.

User in Real Estate

"So many things can be done with this property management software!"

What do you like best?

I love that the tenant and owner ledgers are easy to read and straight forward. The application process through appfolio is amazing and makes moving the tenant into the system very easy.

What do you dislike?

I am not a huge fan of the suppressed fees (you don't have to use that feature if you do not want to). I have had issues where the suppressed fee throws the ledger off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to create test tenants and play around with the system. I learned a lot that way!

Getting all of our tenants online makes managing a large volume of homes easy. It also keeps us up to date in this competitive field.

AppFolio review by User

"AF has been great software for our property management business."

What do you like best?

What I like best is having someone get back to us when we have a problem, being willing to fix them quickly if on the AF side, and really listening and acting on our software development suggestions. We've seen several of our requests actually get implemented into their overall software platform fairly quickly over the years. That's pretty freaking awesome in our opinion!

What do you dislike?

Not being able to just call right in and talk to someone when we need and having to wait for someone to get back to us.

I REALLY dislike how long it takes for your maintenance line to answer and take care of maintenance calls from our tenant clients. It's horrible. It's generally close to an hour before someone picks up to talk to our tenants and this is not an exaggeration. We've had many tenants give us this complaint with this described wait time. I have tested it myself several times and finally hung up after not getting an answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd rather our competitors not use it. I think it does give us an advantage. :)

We can handle many things in AF and can communicate efficiently with owners/tenants/vendors and anonymously if we like with tenants. Also like the 1099 and end of year financials reporting functions.

Administrator in Real Estate

"Director of Single Family"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of the software. It is extremely user friendly and their help desk responds the same day to inquiries. They are also very receptive to feedback and make software changes based on that.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the way owner statement looks. They can be very confusing to owners due to timing issues for charges.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give them a shot, and do not hesitate to give them feedback or ideas for improvements.

Online payments have cut down on the number of late rental payments, which has improved our satisfaction rating with clients. Appfolio recently introduced their inspections platform. So, we no longer need to out source another application for storing property inspections. This has actually saved us money. Sending out leases and renewals has also become more time efficient.

AppFolio review by Dustin N.
Dustin N.

"Have tenants you never meet"

What do you like best?

Probably not having to phone/face to face with property management.

What do you dislike?

very high fee for Visa or Mastercard payment when the rent price is substantial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great if you are taking on more properties and tenants than you can keep up with. You lose a certain human element that is often so helpful in the role of property managers

It streamlines interactions between tenants and property managers but also allows the communication to degenerate into the email exchanges that are only serving to "document" and not actually repair.

"Appfolio"

What do you like best?

Appfolio is intuitive and user friendly. The ease of functioning online has improved our tenant payment processing. Our owners love being able to see their reports online.

What do you dislike?

I want to edit paid bills more easily, (in cases where you misbill to the wrong property). I would like to see batch printing options for checks (let me select which checks I want to run in a batch). Printing overall could be easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a wonderful online community in the Appfolio Help section. Don't hesitate to reach out and ask questions. Overall, however, Appfolio is very, very easy to use.

Faster payment processing through online tenant portals. Better communication with tenants, owners, and vendors. Easier onboarding of new staff members in learning to use software.

AppFolio review by Angela M.
Angela M.

"First time property manager, appreciate interface and features of Appfolio"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, effective communication abilities

What do you dislike?

Need several workarounds via MS Excel to meet our needs. Not customizable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create more opportunity for user customization--increase option for maintenance and work orders, increase usability and reduce redundancy of accounting.

Tenant and owner communication, work orders for properties...etc. Benefits include simple and attractive, easy to use features, prompt customer support when needed.

User in Real Estate

"PROPERTY MANAGEMENT MADE EASY"

What do you like best?

The design is simple and easy to navigate. This program is all in one. You can schedule showings for units and follow it right through the leasing process. I love that residents can set up their own payment methods and have access to their tenant ledgers.

What do you dislike?

Any technical issues we have had were immediately troubleshooted with APPFOLIOS team. They are very responsive. I can't say we have had any MAJOR issues with the program what so ever.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Appfolio is so user friendly compared to most systems on the market. The program is constantly evolving and is a program I would absolutely recommend.

Appfolio makes accounting easy compared to other property management softwares. The greatest benefits have been dashboards, it shows everything that is coming up such as Move-Ins, Move-Outs, Lease Expirations. Also, I love being able to quickly text and email the residents directly through the resident page.

AppFolio review by Gwendolyn C.
Gwendolyn C.

"AppFolio: review"

What do you like best?

It has a lot of great features, but the one I like the most is the ability to text message the tenants and owners through the site. We get a lot of phone calls on a daily basis, so if I am able to message someone it can save me a lot of time. I also like how they offer courses or seminars on how to work their new features that they introduce.

What do you dislike?

Not much I dislike about the system, other than sometimes it takes a while for things to update. This makes it hard if an email has not been sent to a vendor for completion. It makes it difficult to confirm things are done. I am sometimes put off on the amount of updates and changes that I am not made aware of until it actually happens. There is a lot of email traffic as well, but these issues do not make or break the product itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take all the seminars and read everything! This is vital in understanding how the system works.

Time management is important in Property management, especially in the maintenance department. With AppFolio, I am able to see how long a work order has been opened, whether or not I or anyone else has left notes that help in the process, and the result of said process.

AppFolio review by Clara A.
Clara A.

"AppFolio has revolutionized the way we do Property Management"

What do you like best?

AppFolio is constantly evolving and growing to meet our property management needs. I appreciate how responsive they are to industry concerns and to their user feedback. AppFolio has completely streamlined our property management processes and makes it so much easier to do our work!

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing about AppFolio that I dislike. Our financial system is a bit unorthodox compared to how most Property Management companies run their books, so AppFolio isn't quite built for those needs we have, but we have multiple layers of financial oversight in our agency, so it still works well for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the plunge - it's worth it!

We desperately needed a way to streamline and automate many of our property management processes. AppFolio is intuitive, easy to navigate, and eases us through the lease-up process from initial application all the way through to tenant move-out.

AppFolio review by Maria M.
Maria M.

"Reporting system "

What do you like best?

AppFolio has excellent customer support and improves the reporting system all the time.

What do you dislike?

AppFolio should improve owner statement because the owners have trouble to understand the logic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To improve Move out - security deposit refund and charge tenants

Move and move out for tenants. Good tracking for owner money

AppFolio review by Jennifer T.
Jennifer T.

"If you’re a Property Manager, this software is a “must have”!"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use with this program. From any device I can quickly check on or update any of the properties statuses that I need to. I can Send the owners anything they need. It’s just an overall wonderfully detailed program.

What do you dislike?

One

Of the biggest dislikes I have Is that the program doesn’t refresh itself automatically when you makes changes. That’s frustrating when you’re trying to make changes to the ledgers especially.

This solves people having to hire multiple employees to handle their financial, property management and owner relations. Realtors can spend their time finding clients and not dealing with so much paperwork.

User in Real Estate

"A IS FOR APPFOLIO, A IS FOR AWESOME"

What do you like best?

I love this software, and this company in general. Very hardworking! Each and every department is extremely friendly, and helpful. Their response time is 9/10 extremely prompt and thorough. They set their clients up for success!

What do you dislike?

The user profiles are too fixed for small business needs. I'd like to be able to customize, easily, without having to setting a phone call with the customer service team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of ALL of AppFolio's features, they're incredible!

Instead of using several platforms, we can simply use AppFolio, which encompasses all of the business needs of a property management company.

AppFolio review by User

"Fantastic software and best customer service!"

What do you like best?

I love Appfolio because it is an all in one software that streamlines property management. You can communicate with owners and tenants by text and email. The owners and tenants have their own online portal to pay online, submit maintenance requests and access documents. It has been a game changer for us.

What do you dislike?

The accounting flow is my least favorite part. It is a little difficult to get used to.

Communication has been so much better now that we are using Appfolio.

Learn more about AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Property Manager Videos

Learning about AppFolio Property Manager?

* We monitor all AppFolio Property Manager reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.