Kalo Reviews & Product Details

Kalo Overview

What is Kalo?

Kalo is a freelance management system built for companies looking to streamline the way they work with freelancers. Kalo provides one simple platform to onboard, assign work, track invoices and pay your freelancers.

Kalo Details
Discussions
Kalo Community

Kalo is a freelancer management platform that empowers the world’s most creative companies to manage and scale their freelance workforce.

Kalo
2015
New York, NY
@KaloHQ

Kalo Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Kalo community
Have you used Kalo before?

Kalo Reviews

Showing 81 Kalo reviews
Already have Kalo?
AM
What do you like best?

-tracking projects and filing them with project codes

-multi-tiered payment process that is easy to track

-excellent 24/7 customer service Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

-not deleting multiple accounts

-confusion for some freelancers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

-tracking payments for many freelancers

-getting concise budgets

-making payment easy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Executive Producer
What do you like best?

It's so easy to navigate. It's not overly complicated, and freelancers tell us all the time how easy it is. I really don't have a lot of negative things to say about Kalo. Everyone has really good things to say about Kalo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes things change with the layout in Kalo, like they're doing updates or changes. And we don't get notifications of that. But it's still easy to figure out. It's also very intuitive for our freelancers and contractors to use. They tell us how easy it is to set up, and this really matters. We haven't had any issues with people who can't figure it out. It's been a solution to save our company time and money, and I would recommend it to anyone who needs to make payments and have a better process for managing their workflow. I've used many other systems in this job and other jobs, and it's definitely the best one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. It's low risk and low cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We now save money because Kalo has low overhead. And it helps keep us organized and on track. Things take seconds in Kalo, so I love the simplicity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editor in Chief
What do you like best?

I like the seeming simplicity of the workflow once it all gets setup, however I never got to test in practice, because ultimately we never finished setting it up. Casey was also great about showing us how to navigate Kalo and was always available for questions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We were told that we would be able to pay our freelancers through Kalo. After signing up and being told that it was not only possible, but ideal, to pay invoices through Kalo, we were told that Kalo pay does not exist. Before learning this I would say that setting up the initial onboarding was very non-intuitive.

There are also a limited number of ways for billing. You can charge hourly or by the task, which does cover most situations. However I have people who get paid by the world and there was no way for them to bill. We ended up developing a less than satisfying work around where we redefined "word" as "hour" and had to have an addendum that contractors signed that clarified this fact. We then set the "hourly" rate at the word rate. I feel like this would have gotten very complicated going forward. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd hesitate to recommend Kalo. The fact that they quit offering one of the services we were promised and encouraged to use was very discouraging. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were trying to consolidate our budgeting, billing, contracts, and freelancer tasks. If this had worked, it would have been great, but midway through setting this all up, we were told that Kalo could no longer do payments. In conjunction with how counter-intuitive the user interface is and various other little issues, it just didn't seem worth. We are going to look for another product that can actually do all the things that Kalo claimed they could. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Kalo makes it so much easier to store our freelancer information and even helps with the payouts so it's one less thing we have to do. We can log each freelancer's specialty, assign tasks, etc all within the program. For onboarding, we can have the freelancers review terms & conditions, sign contracts, and more so we have all the necessary paperwork on our end. Kalo also helps with end-of-year tax documents. It handled the communication with freelancers for the appropriate forms and income levels so we didn't have to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have to keep funding our "wallet" which is way less convenient than we originally were pitched. It needs refilling all the time which is a strain on our accounting team and can delay payments to our freelancers. We also can't pay out whenever we want since we're using this method - the wallet pays freelancers at certain intervals and they aren't as flexible as we need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get a better feel for your payment structure in the program, but otherwise, it was a seamless transition! We're so glad we have it for freelancer management/article assignments etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We used to have complicated spreadsheets tracking contact information, payment schedules, freelancer rates etc. That's all gone now thanks to Kalo. Things are much more organized. Plus, everything is accessible to our management team, finance department, and other employees that require access. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Volunteer Coordinator
Internet
What do you like best?

Once the freelancer is in the system it runs extremely smoothly. The support staff are also very responsive and helpful and I have received a lot of good feedback from my freelancers who have been paid through the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Many freelancers like being paid through paypal in my industry so convincing them to be paid through bank transfer can be tough. The on-boarding process can also be hard if the freelancer does not have things like a relevant tax form. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving the rate at which we are able to release funds to our freelancers as Kalo has made this much faster than if we were to process payment through our accounting department. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Onboarding new freelancers are very user-friendly and convenient. Kalo has everything needed in one place and all the information I need is on one screen. The profile is a great view of the freelancers and all the information I need is right there from onboarding templates to financial information as well as location and other information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Kalo can be glitchy at times. There are very attentive with their support and workarounds however, if there ais something that should be working and it is not it might take product a few days to develop a solution. However, customer support is very helpful at times and if there are product issues they try to resolve it as quickly as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Working with freelancers is challenging however, Kalo makes it a breeze. It has all the information my company needs to effectively communicate with our freelancers. Setting task for freelancers is easy to set up and if done correctly, it does work very well. Invoices are automatically generated when a task is marked complete so a finance team does not have to check approval and thus eliminates times and improves efficiency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editor in Chief
What do you like best?

I like the user-intuitive interface, as well as how Kalo serves as a central hub for task management. A huge plus is the accessible support staff. I've always been impressed with how courteous and helpful people can be when I have a question or a difficult issue regarding a payment or a technical bug. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The different design iterations, though subtle, can introduce quirks and throw off an established routine, but not such that adjustment is difficult or protracted. Platform organization can sometimes be difficult to track as well. I like consistency, personally. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has helped me ensure that my writers and producers are paid promptly after completing a project, which keeps them happy and productive. It has also enabled me to easily track production budgets against executed projects in a given span of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

The support and will of the team to help us adapt the platform as much as possible to the needs of our business. How it will help us improve our relationship with our freelancers. All the efficiency we will gain by transferring our freelancer management to an automated tool. The huge leap in transparency and control of our freelancers and the work they do at any time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The limitations it sometimes shows in terms of functionality, user experience (our freelancers are starting to test it and see a lot of limitations in terms of their capacity to sell themselves). We have a complex freelancer/company world and we hope we will be able to make adjustments down the line to improve the limitations it has. Very much US oriented. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're coming from a manual process, this tool is an amazing improvement. Beware of some limitations you will run into, however, they are very supportive and open to help find ways around these limitations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Improved efficiency when hiring freelancers, increase of transparency on who is doing what, where, with who, for how much and until when. Due diligence and compliance. Global standardization of information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

I like that I can see my contractor and freelance pool in an overview. It does a good job of tracking attributes, but this could be better. It helps onboard (administratively) and view availability dates, but this could be better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's not the best solution for signing documents in onboarding—there are premium integrations that both require a service that is only offered at Enterprise level. I would look for systems that are a little more open for signing documents. Also the form building experience is also a little disjointed. I also wish it had integration with other systems like JIRA and Harvest, which we use to work on and estimate tasks in projects and track time, respectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trying to solve the challenge of onboarding many people as freelancers without a person to manually do all the tasks associated with getting them onboard. Signing agreements, getting and assigning accounts, documenting their attributes, and seeing their rates have all been great solves for us, and we hope we and Kalo can take it further. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer
What do you like best?

Before using Kalo, our office was dealing with a conglomerate of Google Sheets, Paypal, extraneous documentation, and another client platform. Now we're more organized than ever. Our freelancers are happy, and most importantly, so is our editorial AND finance teams. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We wish that there were more options for reporting that were included with the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Financial recording! Along with having all of our contributors in one place with all of their information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Kalo makes organizing our freelancers, storing their information, creating their invoices, and paying them a breeze. They've been able to customize everything to meet our specific needs as an international company, which has made a big difference in the way we work with our freelance team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, communication has been slightly difficult; while the Kalo team is very responsive, it has felt, at times, that due to how busy they must be, that they don't fully read the emails we have sent, and therefore, don't respond accordingly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed a platform to manage our freelancers with; we needed help with our invoicing process, and Kalo has been amazing in streamlining this process for us. It's great to have everything in one place and to be able to do everything from start to finish in a single platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer and Consultant
Leisure, Travel & Tourism
What do you like best?

I love how easy Kalo makes it to create assignments, assign a person and a due date. It's definitely improved my workflow! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a few weird glitches in the software. For example, sometimes after approving a task, the option to submit the invoice does not come up. I also wish it were possible to create one invoice per person at the end of the month instead of having each task have separate invoices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's much easier than email to communicate with the people I work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UO
What do you like best?

I like that Kalo takes our invoices out of spreadsheets and puts them in one place. It's easy to create invoices for freelancers instead of having them send their own. I can pay them by story instead of on a monthly basis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the automated feedback box that pops up after I complete a task. I want to be done as fast as possible, and not every single task requires feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As an editor, I don't have to worry if my freelancers are late to invoice-- I control how and when stories are billed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Producer
What do you like best?

I like that Kalo makes it easy for me to onboard freelancers and track my budgets for my projects. Overall I'm very happy with the service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my freelancers have had issues onboarding or getting paid in the system and it ends up being a bit of a headache on both sides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think its a great service overall! Would love to a more intuitive interface and an email update when changes are made in process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Contracting freelancers for video production. Overall its been helpful in this way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editorial Operations Manager
What do you like best?

Its great to give people around the organization the ability to seamlessly engage freelancers, with all of the important documentation in one place Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally there are issues with the system, but Kalo support is usually quick to help address them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing a vast freelance workforce across multiple different teams and departments within our organization Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UG
What do you like best?

The availability feature, the individual profile element images that everyone has, the message board function. I also like the rating element and seeing how has completed our onboarding process. The interface is lovely and a pleasure to look at every day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That you're aren't notified if a message has been sent to you. A colleague has to tell you that they've sent you a message which is annoying (unless I'm doing it wrong). The review feature is always having errors which are equally annoying. The project manager seems to have all the rights opposed to me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The efficiency of the network building. All our freelancers are in one place and we can start to see the skill sets we have available to us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Director, Programs
Photography
What do you like best?

I use the system a couple of times a year so I’m not so familiar with the interface. The system is very intuitive that I can find what I need easily to accomplish what I need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I’m trying to reorient myself with the system, I wish there were better notes in the help section. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I enjoy the ease to keep track of hours per project and that there is a budget I can set but more importantly, that I can amend. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Kalo makes it easy to track our growing list of freelancers and their individual skillsets. It's all online so we can access it whenever/wherever and continue running our business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish we didn't have to fund the Kalo Wallet every time we wanted to pay on demand. We hit a certain threshold that makes the funding a little more difficult than we were led to believe. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were struggling to maintain an accurate list of our contacts. Managing a large spreadsheet with rates, specialties, past/current/future assignments, etc. was a pain. And it restricted access that our management, legal, and finance teams needed. Kalo makes it easy and provides additional benefits/fields we didn't even know we needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

After managing freelancers in a rather laborious way, Kalo seems a top efficiency tool. Both freelancers and project managers have full control of the relationship, while us the staffing team still keep control where it matters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

From a technical perspective, there are still some glitches with certain functionality seems to have room for improvement e.g. flexibility to have a different currency by task and some search glitches. Can be slow at times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance management transparency, efficiency in project staffing, GDPR compliance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Content Producer
What do you like best?

I like the sites ability to easily search out contractors Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that in order to give a contractor a rating, that i have to assign a project to them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use this as a tool to onboard and manage contractors. It is easy to locate files for accounting that we need to submit with invoices as well as contact contractors based on location that we are looking for them in at the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Growth Manager - Lifecycle
Financial Services
What do you like best?

The ability to assign tasks, track progress, generate invoices, and pay freelancers seamlessly in Kalo has saved me hours of work every week. I appreciate how much easier it is to onboard new freelancers with their onboarding templates, especially with the Adobe Sign integration. Overall very happy with the product; it's well worth the cost for the time and hassle it saves. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate the ability to create a project designed to accept pitches from writers to streamline our editorial process even further. I also wish it were easier to mark a default task rate for freelancers, but these are small concerns in the grand scheme of how much of a time-saver Kalo is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the Docusign/Adobe Sign integration to "level up" your Kalo experience. Really streamlines the onboarding process even more for new freelancers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I manage a team of over 20 freelance writers and an editor to produce 300+ articles for my company's blog each year. Kalo has replaced the very manual process of assigning articles via email and tracking them via spreadsheet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Invoicing freelancers is easy and well-organized. I also enjoy using their project management system to assign and track tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are many aspects, like account funding and payments, that are completely disjointed from the platform. They need a better way to integrate account funding on the front-end. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you constantly keep in touch with reps to get an accurate overview of your account activity if you are using Kalo to pay your freelancers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Maintaining a database of all of our freelancer projects and invoices has been a lifesaver for us. Before Kalo, we relied on email to get the job done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I like the ability to quickly and easily assign projects, get updates on when they're complete and send/receive attachments all in an organized way Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love more project management features and automation. For example, sending the same type of task (rate, title, etc.) to the same asignee several times per week could be more automatic and less manual with better templates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a learning curve but it is better than simply emailing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have numerous freelancers working on various projects simultaneously so it's definitely streamlined a zillion into emails into one place in a way that's organized and easy to navigate Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Executive Editor
What do you like best?

Onboarding is fast and easy, and once a freelancer onboards, I can create an invoice and pay them immediately. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any complaints. There are more fields than I need, but I can avoid filling them out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelancers don't have to send invoices (in varying formats that can be hard to read). Everything is transparent and freelancer can track payment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how the interface is easy to navigate, and allows freelancers to fill out their own profiles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is difficult to properly group the network into the correct categories. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do not have a platform in place, and you are currently balancing a large network of freelancers, I highly suggest selecting Kalo. It always your company, and your freelancers to keep as much up to date information as possible for ease of future engagements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We utilize a lot of different partners at work, and Kalo allows us to keep our network up to date. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.