Upwork Reviews & Product Details

Upwork Overview

What is Upwork?

Upwork is the world’s largest work marketplace connecting million of business with independent talent around the globe. We serve everyone from one-person start-ups to 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful trust-driven platform that enables companies and freelancers to work together in new ways that unlock their potential. Our talent community earned over $2 billion on Upwork in 2019 across more than 8,000 skills, including website and app development, creative and design, customer support, finance and accounting, consulting and operations. Learn more at www.upwork.com.

Upwork Details
Discussions
Upwork Community

Upwork is the leading flexible talent solution empowering businesses with access to in-demand talent, on demand. We provide businesses with proven professionals from around the globe using our unparalleled matching technology to find the perfect talent for projects of all sizes and scopes.

Upwork makes it easy for businesses to grow distributed teams and manage remote work strategies through our on-demand remote talent platform and services. With access to proven top talent, the flexibility to scale up or down as needed, and the agility to pivot quickly, Upwork clients gain a competitive edge. Upwork pioneered the industry of remote talent solutions and 20 years later continues to lead the way.

Upwork Global Inc.

Showing 966 Upwork reviews
Location
Already have Upwork?
Co-founder & CEO
What do you like best?

There are endless opportunities to find work and connect with great clients. I've developed long-term relationships with a handful of clients I met through Upwork. I also consistently get invited to new projects, so I don't have to spend as much time prospecting now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Endless opportunity, unfortunately, also means a wide range of quality. Some people have completely unrealistic expectations, so they're frustrating to work with. Also, I don't think Upwork does a great job (although they seem to be improving) at telling clients how to manage contracts. For example, I've had several contracts stay in limbo -- hurting my score as a freelancer -- because clients simply couldn't figure out how to close the contract and provide feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Upwork solves the most common problem for freelancers: finding clients. I was able to start small, gain some experience and social proof, and use the momentum I gained from Upwork to start a legitimate business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Upwork
What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to find qualified and talented freelancers for a wide range of jobs. As a client, you can determine how much you want to pay, the experience level, and then sit back and let freelancers apply for your job. You can read reviews from other clients they have worked for, ask the freelancers questions, and ask for samples of their previous work before choosing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is not really anything I dislike about using Upwork for my business. I have had issues with a couple of freelancers in the past, but Upwork has always handled the problem quickly and refunded my money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Upwork mostly for projects that I do not have time to complete for my business, nor do I have enough of this type of work for a full time employee. It gives me the flexibility I need as a business owner, I am able to set my budget and still find very qualified freelancers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wordpress Developer
What do you like best?

Amount and variety of jobs available, Escrow Service, Community, Faster Payments on Project completion, Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

unverified client profiles, heavy competition for small jobs(like around 50 proposals for a 5$ project), No minimum hourly rate, some freelancers offering way less than 7-8$ for WordPress dev. etc, Poor customer support to settle disputes. Heavy Fees they charge 10-20% on all projects. They also charge clients 5% for deposits which is nasty stuff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can try Upwork at the start of your career to get going. But their high fees may affect your business in the long run.

But with the variety of skill-based jobs, Upwork is the perfect platform on this planet now for freelancing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I started as a freelancer, improved my portfolio with a variety of jobs I did. Upwork helped me get more projects and their top-rated program started me getting me bigger projects. The only issue is the heavy fees they charge 20% for the first 500$ for clients which is heavy. It is the biggest freelance marketplace available now so we are bound to use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

General Manager
What do you like best?

Once you are established on the site the offers come to you, and the better your rating, the better the offers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Getting established can take a while. You may have to accept some lower paid jobs at first while you establish a reputation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure your profile is complete. Use links to LinkedIn and if you have samples of your work include those as well. Take the tests to prove you are qualified and complete all the verification requirements as quickly as possible. Buy the enhanced membership so you can see what the other bids are and not waste your time. Choose the jobs that list US residents only as a requirement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed to be able to work from home due to having a special needs son. This greatly decreased my stress level since I did not have to go running to my boss to see if I could leave if there was a daycare issue. I choose jobs with flexible schedules so I can work when I am available each day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner and Founder at Chambers Virtual Assisting
What do you like best?

The ease of use. I have used this platform since 2016 and they have continually improved it. They consistently send out questionnaires asking your opinion and act upon those to improve on their project. They also put the people that use it the most at the forefront and help them and supply any support that you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes common to find jobs that do not appear to be valid. Anytime that I have looked for a job it would seem like there is at least one job that does not seem legit and you have to take the time to decide if it is worth taking the time to see if it is or not. Sometimes you may never know. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I solve my problem of income. But I have also hired other contractors to help me complete jobs faster or to assist with pieces on a job that I was not good at. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
What do you like best?

Hundreds of high paying jobs are posted everyday. If you have the skillset and are actively applying, you can land them. If have a job where your organization does not have the needed skill sets, you can find talent to help you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Essentially it's a platform to post jobs, receive bids, and maintain a portfolio, so to have fees as high are they are almost feels predatory. Paying 20% on a $50 job can be pretty demoralizing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you hire someone, make sure to disable manual logging of time. I have had freelancers take "liberties" with it. Treat the posting like a Stackoverflow post - be concise and clear one what you're looking for. If you can afford it and are feeling charitable, try to give someone just starting out a chance. I have been on both sides and am thankful for the first few clients who hired me.

If you freelance, realize that you may have to apply to dozens of jobs before you land one, but once you establish your profile it gets way easier. And like any other job make sure to provide excellent customer service. You never know which clients can become long term or repeat customers, or even rehire you at a higher rate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It helps me find clients and freelancers. They have done a great job maintaining their status as the go to platform for freelancers. All I have to do is click refresh and see dozens of new jobs. When I need to post a job, I have dozens of qualified freelancers with competitive bids Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Designer
What do you like best?

I have been on Upwork since 2011 and it is one of the best decisions I made for my career. Upwork is a great platform and it helped me make a full salary while working fewer hours.

I like how easy it got to find long term clients and contracts.

I like how easy it is to apply for jobs.

I like how helpful and supportive the Upwork team has been during my journey.

I like how I can choose to work either per hour or per project.

I like the Upwork webinars and resources.

I have received training and support that helped me get better clients and better-paid projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish Upwork took less of a percentage off of my earnings.

I do not really have anything else I dislike. This platform has been only good for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I do not have to do any marketing and self-promotion. It has a big and diverse client database.

I do not have to worry about being paid on time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder // Creative Director
What do you like best?

Upwork is great for anyone who is looking to get started in the freelance world but also for seasoned freelancers who are just looking for a different method of finding new clients. It has something for anyone, beginners, novices, and experts, and the prices paid out reflect such.

I also like how you can filter through jobs, to see whether it's something you actually want to do or not and if it's in the price range of what you're willing to do it for. Also Upwork seems to have a great customer service team, which I'm grateful for! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fees, oh man the fees are rough. But it is what it is, I suppose! I always charge extra to offset it but it would be nice to have lesser fees. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Now that I'm a bit established on it, it's been really nice to have invitations to work so that I don't have to go hunting for work. It saves me time and energy...and money! Because when you get invited to a project, you don't have to use up your credits! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The fact that the demand and supply is managed quite well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such other than the fact that the scalability is an issue when you cannot add other team members and assign them jobs just because their profile does not get approved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely should go for it as it is the best platform for freelancing at the moment. It should be for professional freelancers that are willing to work and provide the best services. I would not recommend it to new freelancers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Financial problems. I have achieved financial freedom through this platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

It's an amazing platform. It brings in a lot of opportunities for people like us. Especially it helps us to connect with like-minded folks where we can exchange synergies for business growth and self-improvements. Every new day with every new project is a big learning curve. Some of the things which are great are:

a) Awesome support.

b) Good quality projects

c) Reasonable membership

d) Easy withdrawal process.

e) Good communication tools, especially in the messages module.

f) Search filters are amazing.

Suggestion - With the new WHT for India, we should know where the tax will reflect. I have been checking my 26-AS constantly but to date that doesn't reflect. Also, a separate report should be made available in the Agency to know how much Tax has been withheld with date filters available to download that report. This helps a big deal in our taxation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's getting more inclined towards freelancers and with this, the buyers are not much inclined towards agency buyers. Now that we have our businesses running on Upwork, we face issues in this. Upwork should work something to make it with a neutral approach. We are not against the freelancer model but agencies would also be equally thought about.

Upwork should bring back the Elance feature of updating the cover letter after submission. If by chance the cover letter gets submitted with some mistake, there is no way to edit it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

People considering upwork should go for it without a second thought. It's an amazing platform and it's a pleasure working on it. It brings a lot of opportunities for people who are actually looking to do a hardwork. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been able to create employment with the Upwork platform and have been able to help team members by guiding them to get work. It's a good platform. Especially in the Pandemic, it has helped people earn their living when they got jobless.

We also make people aware of Upwork platform and have helped them get used to it and become a freelancer by offering their services which they are good at. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love Upwork because my payment is secured, I don't need to go through the hassle of always following up with the client about my payment. I also found a lot of great clients in Upwork, just practice the art of stalking *wink* Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like other platforms, Upwork has been flooded with scammers too and some unfair or sometimes bogus clients as experienced by my fellow freelancers in some groups. Good thing is that you can report them. Also, the free 30 connects monthly has been reduced to 10 free connects monthly, though it's better than nothing. At least Upwork is trying to be more friendly to those new in the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You maybe a new freelancer using Upwork but if you have confident skills earned from your studies or offline work experience, don't hesitate to try Upwork. Online freelancing is best for self-starters who has pride and passion for their craft. Because at the end, it is only you who can motivate you. Online freelancing is not for everyone, and that's okay. We have different career paths and your skills and interests could fit best for offline jobs. The socio-economic aspect of the world calls for the service of both offline and online workers, and neither is inferior nor superior over the other. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Upwork recognizes the hard work of their freelancers so they keep updating rewards and rules that will benefit both the freelancers and the clients. When freelancers are motivated, clients are happy with the results they provide. It's a great platform that connects honest, hardworking freelancers to good and fair clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I've been using Upwork for almost 5 years now and have been so happy with the help it's given me to find quality contractors who specialize. The communication has been great - the tools they offer are very helpful, and I'm grateful to have their service.

I was referred to UpWork by a mentor who has used them for many years. At first I was honestly a bit skeptical. Freelancers? What's that?

But as I've learned how to filter, invite and interview contractors, my experience has been wonderful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it's not as easy as it once was to see a contractor history or past work, at least up front. They've made some changes and this makes it not as easy to filter contractors. But there still are ways, they are just work arounds now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research.

Look at the history of contractors.

Clearly define what you want to happen, the end result.

Communicate with the applicants before you hire one.

Agency contractors have more to lose than independents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finding specialized contractors.

Keeping within a business budget.

Improving the end products for my clients.

Saving myself time and money trying to do all things in-house.

These are some of the first things that come to mind that have been improved due to UpWork and the connections I've made there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The 11 Marketing Factors™ Direct Response Copywriter & Founder of OfferTherapy™
What do you like best?

I love how easy Upwork makes it to be seen, manage projects, and keep my client relationship in one place. I also NEVER have to talk money with clients; payment is regular and reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fees can be hard at first, especially if you do a lot of small projects. I view Upwork as an investment in marketing and arbitration, so I don't mind the percentage. The more you work with them, the more you are rewarded. I also dislike that it promotes hourly billing as opposed to flat rate; I'd use it more if it had better flat rate marketing options other than milestones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I wanted a way to do my hourly marketing automation work without the fuss of manually tracking hours, trying to negotiate hourly rates, and trying to make sure I get paid on time. Upwork takes care of getting my profile found, making sure the contracts "stick", and getting me paid. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Upwork is my go-to to find clients and work on interesting projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that you have to pay for credits to bid on jobs, but most of the time I wind up getting hired. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Create a snazzy profile and start with 1 project at a time at an affordable rate. Focus on wowing the client and earning that 5-star review. Always be transparent and communicate with your clients so you are on the same page. It's a great platform if you are persistant! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to interact with clients who need services immediately and have a good idea of what they want as they are willing to put up an ad and describe tangibles. Sometimes there is a lack of communication from clients which is not ideal as I rely on feedback. Despite the fees charged for work performed on the platform, I wouldn't have the volume of clients that I have today. Glad I started 5 years ago and have a strong foundation/reviews to attract more people to assist. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Speaker/Trainer
What do you like best?

Upwork is a stellar platform for freelancers who want to get work consistently. I joined almost 4 years ago and have worked for some stellar clients that pay very well. The ease of navigating the site, as well as the systems they have in place to set up contracts, give feedback and even the way they calculate a freelancer's "success score" is a cut above any other freelancer site on the internet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike--if anything. I know many freelancers complain of low-paying clients on there and that's simply not true. I've gotten some A-list clients on there from the start. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In the slow times, "mining" leads for new work is always possible when you have a reliable site like Upwork online. They're arguably the biggest freelancer site on the 'net and obviously have a large marketing budget to attract the clientele who come through their portal. 2.3 million contracts a year going through their site? That says everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chairman and Founder of Top PR Firm
What do you like best?

I love that you can look at freelancers ratings, locations, reviews portfolios, how much they have earned doing what you might need done and that Upwork really takes accountability with ensuring they provide screenshots of their work etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is the cost of connects or additional connects rather once you run out if you are searching for work. Other than that amazing site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been using Upwork for so long that I remember when it was Elance. They have trusted freelancers and agencies. its the only place I go to hire for a multitude of projects. I've had virtual assistants hat I've worked with for years, I have worked with freelancers that turned in to long term friends and long term business relationships and more. I love the site and am now using it for things I never thought I would as I launch a new project. I have also used it to find work for things I do Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Closed Captioning, Transcription, and Quality Control
What do you like best?

I like the messaging interface that allows you to communicate in many different ways with your clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing specific right now. My biggest dislike was partially resolved. I'm not a fan of paying for bids. They've decided to give free connects but never changed the price of PLUS so really there's nothing given to PLUS members. I also wish there were more options for reports. I would like to be able to block or ignore certain companies. There are many low-paying bottom-feeder clients that I would never ever collaborate with. Since they are garbage and have a high turnover, they are always posting jobs. I'd like to perma-block that company from ever showing me jobs. I don't care that they are still looking to pay pennies per hour to people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep on keepin' on. You'll land some clients eventually. They tend to contact in bursts, like a rush in a store. It's kinda weird considering this is online and worldwide. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Upwork streamlines the need to do accounts receivables. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Retired
What do you like best?

The ability to vet clients and ask questions in advance of accepting the job is important to me. Upwork allows that to happen before a hard commitment is made to do the work. Not all clients are people I would like to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't trust that Upwork has adequately qualified each client as being honest and trustworthy. I have to do that myself to be sure the relationship won't turn sour after accepting the job. However, some clients are good at masking their intentions and desires. Others simply don't know what they want and the job requirements change after award and not always for the better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I seem to find clients that are late finding a freelancer to do their work and always want a fast turnaround. That's counterproductive and leads to a tense relationship. My value to Upwork is that I can usually solve the problem and get the job moving in the right direction. However, it gets tiring to always start out a client relationship in that manner. The benefit I get from facing these situations is that I get to improve my communication and negotiation skills to a razor's edge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.