Plivo Reviews & Product Details

Plivo Overview

What is Plivo?

Plivo is a leading cloud communication platform that offers a simple, fast, and scalable way for companies to modernize their business communications. Companies of all types use Plivo’s API’s and SDK’s to quickly program voice and SMS capabilities into their applications. With direct relationships with over 1600 carrier networks globally, connectivity in 195 countries and pay-as-you-go pricing, Plivo enables easy and cost-effective global communications. Start for free. Deploy within hours.

Plivo Details
Discussions
Plivo Community

Global SMS & Voice calls for businesses of all sizes

Plivo combines modern software expertise with deep telecommunications industry experience to deliver simple, intuitive, and easy-to-deploy building blocks that enable companies of all sizes to quickly and easily integrate SMS and voice into their applications. We leverage our in-depth knowledge, relationships, and specialized technical expertise to simplify the complexity of navigating carrier networks, local laws, and governing bodies. Our premium global network with direct relationships with T1 local carriers delivers consistently high-quality connectivity around the world. Our intuitive platform with crisp and concise developer documentation, server-side and client-side SDKs, and pre-packaged, ready to deploy templates enable businesses to build and deploy in a matter of hours.

Plivo Inc
2011
Austin, TX
@plivo

Content at Plivo

Plivo Videos

Plivo Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Plivo community
Have you used Plivo before?

Plivo Reviews

Showing 419 Plivo reviews
Already have Plivo?
software engineer
What do you like best?

The diagram based (node system) API creator is really handy to use. Once done, you can use it with postman or any rest client. Also, you dont need to register any number in order to send them a message. Unlike other SMS systems, they require you to validate a lot of things before sending simple SMS for testing and debugging purposes. PLIVO is just seamless and practically works well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of error messages when connecting nodes that do not connect. Would be better if there are messages like "you cannot connect multiple send SMS to this node...or you can only connect this from the following nodes (displays buttons that can be connected to this node): .....". Also displaying a tooltip would help a lot and highlighting the buttons would help for newbie users like me. With this, I believe PLIVO would perfect in terms of user friendliness, learning curve, ease of use, extensibility and flexibility. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Plivo might be intimidating because of the node based API creator but its not really complicated to learn it. Once you learned the basics, its smooth sailing and better than most of the SMS systems especially when you use REST client to utilize it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SMS related debugging, APIs that use SMS system for verification can be used for this. By using PLIVO, its easier to create SMS messages as mock data for sim cards that we use on the project where using ordinary SMS would not work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Coordinator
What do you like best?

1. Plivo offers various options to use their services, like we can complete a task either via their control panel or via various API's available.

2. Its pricing structure is very well suitable, as they do not charge any recurring fee, they only charge for the service we use for the specified time frame.

3. They offers global service and their support is also of world class level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. API documentation still requires improvement. It is quite difficult to setup or integrate their API's with the existing system.

2. They do not offer In and Out (both) facility of Voice and SMS for many countries. They should try to increase their reach all across the globe or atlest for all major countries.

3. If they could improve the UI/UX of their website or control panel specifically, it would be one of the best company in their market. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a service for voice or sms's, you can give it a try. They sometimes offer some trial balance also. There support is also admirable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using Plivo for sending SMS's to our end users for their transactions and various updates. It's service is very reliable and secure to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

Lower pricing, this is the main reason why for a new project, I wanted to try Plivo over Twilio, which is what I had been using. I also love that at the outset you are provided with a sandbox test environment, it made it even easier to deploy immediately, skipping a step. (I have only implemented basic text sending functionality, nothing else) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were possible to charge up the account with lower credits. Because I only use this for test sending in a hobby app, which is really cheap, the minimum account charge may literally last me the rest of my life with more to spare Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Automated text alerts. I have used Twilio before so am not unfamiliar with the overall process and benefits. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The very well documented and easy API, which made integration really easy! It only took a short time to have the first proof of concept up and running.

Solving call quality issues we had some month ago was quick and durable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Phone numbers are not available for some countries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are a lot of alternatives on the market. We tried a couple of them and found Plivo's offering of in-country phone numbers at the countries we've been looking for and all for reasonable money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We do call forwarding for our 24x7 engineers to their mobile phones. Using generic local Plivo phone numbers communicated to our customers, we can avoid publishing the personal numbers to a wider community.

To update the call forwarding at Plivo, we're using their API, which perfectly does the job.

Due to the API approach, changes in engineer schedules - ie. sickness - are directly reflected from our oncall calendar automatically. Before a forwarding is being activated, we do a test call. The new responsible engineer needs to confirm by pressing some IVR code. So he/she's aware about the oncall role on the one hand and we have a proof on the other hand. In case of a failed test, it's being escalated to the manager in charge. All by using Plivo API ;-) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

It was incredibly quick to set up a functional workflow with text and phone message forwarding. I made it from signing up to forwarding texts to our Slack workspace in ten minutes flat. The rates for numbers and services are cheap and easy to understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really have no complaints about Plivo! I had a bit of trouble finding a number in my area to use, but that's not a problem specific to Plivo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you're comfortable scripting and working with visual API workflows. It's a bit less intuitive than other, similar platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're setting up text forwarding for client onboarding -- I was very easily able to forward text messages to our Slack workspace! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Matches many of the features and api's of Twilio, Their api is great and compatible with many of the same workflows or features you expect from Twilio, But in addition they often provide more features, where they count. Their SDKs are generally well documented and most features worked exactly as first expected.

Their interface and setup is also excellent and for many use cases they provide better options at a cheaper price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Numbers in certain regions are unavailable or have to be ported in manually, for some use cases this is too much cost or is simply not an option. In either case this comes with additional time and complexity that I (personally) didn't want to take.

In addition some of the bigger features like lambda execution which is available on Twillio isn't something provided directly. This is ok however as there are many other options to solve this problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were building api driven call and sms receiving applications using their sms and voice apis together with the plivo-node sdk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Their API is very easy to use; Good documentation and sample code.

Easy to use console with searchable access to their logs.

Pay-for-use billing; no minimum monthly charge.

Affordable and transparent pricing.

Prompt and responsive support.

Don't have to deal with multiple carriers in different countries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Inbound calls are not supported for some countries (most likely due to the country as this is same issue with other telephony platforms).

They are dependent on downstream carriers for deliverability and connectivity. So investigating end to end issues will take longer and has a limited time window within which they can investigate.

It is a single point of failure for phone numbers they provide and for our application features that depend upon their api; In the last 5 years of using them 24x7, they had only one system outage that impacted our numbers for about 3 hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Plivo is a good platform if you need a global, easy to use telephony service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our SaaS application uses it for sending SMS, provisioning phone numbers and providing IVR access to our application where an Internet connection is not available.

We needed a reliable service that could do what we wanted entirely using APIs with no manual steps.

Their text to speech API gave us a lot of flexibility in how we presented our application data.

We can provide a choice of toll free numbers or local numbers to our customers.

We didn't have to deal with multiple carriers to provision local numbers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Zentrunk service is easy to setup and the Plivo UI is far superior to any other SIP provider I experimented with when integrating with my hosted 3CX phone system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far, I have not found anything to dislike about the Plivo Zentrunk SIP Service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a new startup looking for a SIP Trunk service that delivers and does not hurt your bottom line, use Plivo Zentrunk with the 3CX hosted phone system. You will be on your way to hosting conference calls and presenting yourself as a professional business in no time flat! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being a new startup, it was vital to find a cost effective and easy to use SIP system to integrate with our hosted 3CX phone system. We solved that issue by using Plivo. Even after experimenting with other SIP trunk providers with similar cost, the UI Plivo offers is far superior. Thus far, service has been perfect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner of ReadySetSweat Swim Instruction and Triathlon Coaching Company
What do you like best?

I own a swim instruction and triathlon coaching company, and we have been in business since 2013. Since that time I have had to come up with all kinds of ways to communicate with clients. We have done texting, emailing, but I love being able to easily and conveniently send messages to our clients with Plivo. No more keeping everyone's info in my phone! I use Plivo through my customer database software, which is called JackRabbit. JR makes it very easy to connect with Plivo and I was able to figure it out in just a few minutes. It's very simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. Everything has worked really well. And very affordable too. The pricing is easy to understand and it costs basically very little per message. I just load up my pre-payment and then everything else is taken care of.

Also, for $20 I was able to get started, so I like that there was a very small minimum to try out the service. I didn't have to make a large financial commitment to see whether I'd like using it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I don't have to keep clients' phone numbers in my phone any more and I can send messages to large groups of clients when we have weather closings or other things that come up. If we have a pool closure, I can send out a message to every client that has a lesson that day instead of having to text each parent individually.

Especially during COVID, it's been nice to know that we can text everyone when someone is going to be out and lessons will have to be cancelled. It's a great benefit to be able to do in 5 seconds what used to take a half hour. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Versatile, well documented API available in all major languages enabled me to develop my own product, fully web integrated, limited only by my own vision of the possible. A solid foundation for the high call quality, fast and reasonably priced communications service we provide.

Very knowledgeable and helpful technical support, even for a non-premium account, with prompt and focused answers - no trawling through a maze of AI generated FAQ possibilities before even bothering to read your issue.

Powerful and clearly laid out console with all logging and debug features necessary to troubleshoot the majority of issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I truly find it hard to highlight any shortcomings of Plivo. I have found them to be streets ahead of their competitors in this market. Pricing can always be improved, but everything is clear from the outset, with no unpleasant surprises on the billing front. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Enabling low-cost global communication from any internet connected device.

Fully automated subscription and billing system - no need to employ staff to do the donkey work of maintaining and running the service.

Allows us to provide an alternative low-cost VOIP network for those seeking to migrate away from privacy 'free' providers.

True Pay As You Go service provision with no contract or monthly fees for us, means we can pass on these same benefits to our customers.

We have yet to use all the facilities available from Plivo, but they can easily be added should we find the demand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

easily programmable api's and great costumer support and very responsive, will answer you and your team under 24 hr from my experience. all customization option are open for the user to implement what you need to build a superior program. also all documentation is clear. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

need a knowledge base before starting but after getting familiar with plivo system thing run smoothly. the reason is that plivo uses a vast library and have many custom option if you start exploring it will take time but will eventually resolve all problems that might come up when building a program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

using api to complete all my app tasks are the easiest way to have a customize solution for app deployment. the customization option when using plivo api is amazing that you can do almost everything with a straight forward software solution. all the solutions and the documentations are available and clearly articulate all the usage that might needed to be implement in your software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Having tried other vendors, we found Plivo to be easy and customisable, not to mention super reliable too. With our growing number of customers coming in from South East Asia, no other vendor could deliver as consistently as Plivo has. This was the main turn key for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We do not appreciate the fact that we have to pay for a sender ID to send SMS for multiple regions. We weren't aware of this and found it slightly disappointing. I also think the documentation for their API could be slightly better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Our onboarding calls were swift and very thorough. The knowledge transfer sessions and the amount of help we received has been tremendous. If you are ever in doubt, ping their support to sales staff and you will see the replies with proper solutions come through rather quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are a no-BS Incident management platform for growing teams. We rely on Plivo to deliver Phone calls and SMS alerts to our customers. The availability of customised numbers and reliable alerting has won our confidence on the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They are really responsive to support questions, and usually can pinpoint where my problem is even if the issues we face are a different provider. The logging and ability to trace issue is very good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love to get 6 minute billing on the full platform. Currently we only use the SIP In/Out for the media handling Plivo provides, but since starting outbound dialing and needing 6 second billing to make that affordable for clients, it is tough to not lose on short calls. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We run a multi-million dollar in revenue company with only 1 programmer. The functions that the Plivo API Voice team handles that we would have to have a full staff to handle is the best problem solving/benefit of using Plivo. Although bringing it internal to our company would allow for a few more features we want, using the Plivo system as is, is a great savings for our company on employee costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Plivo's responsive support is great - they are quick to respond to issues and provide details to on problems.

They also offer Vanity IDs (using words instead of numbers) for outbound SMS that allow us to send SMS to users that they can easily identify the sender without having to add a number to their contacts.

The speed of the API is good too, handing off a lot of unique SMS can take a while, but it's still faster than many other competing services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Issues with upstream carriers occur from time to time, and the errors returned by the API don't reflect the cause - there is a catch-all error code that is used for them and other 'unknown' problems. It would be nice if as errors are reported and identified, the error codes got expanded. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Plivo to send SMS to our end users in bulk, allowing our clients to quickly inform their users quickly where ever they are.

Most of our end users are in areas where fast mobile internet isn't reliable but SMS is, so this means that a SMS can be sent to an end user to provide them important or time-critical information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner, Business Application Developer
Government Administration
What do you like best?

We have been using the Plivo API for the last 5 years to integrate with out Visitor Management System and send SMS alerts over to the residents in a gated community. We've had very minor issues over the years and reliability has been really enterprise grade! Any time that we needed support, it's very easy to contact an agent. API documentation is also really good...code samples are on par... good stuff! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't really know of a big dislike for me on this product. Maybe the pricing could be a little cheaper? But given the range of capabilities in multiple countries around the world, I'm pretty happy with the per message pricing available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really check out their API and the documentation. It's never been so easy to integrate so many capabilities into your application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instant Alerts is the problem we are solving. Plivo has allowed us to message our customers without having to care what cellular provider they are using. This was a huge benefit to the customers as well since they are notified when a visitor enters the community. Kind of a "2 minute warning". Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We found the platform to be the most turn-key, yet easily customizable across the competition. We needed a platform that let our customers get the information they needed, which changes from minute to minute, while freeing up our staff. We were able to spin up custom applications that allowed us to do just that. Customers can call in, get their custom-tailored information, or text in for the same data. We can also send outbound texts. It's all done through one platform, instead of 2 or 3 different platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We're a Canadian business, as such, in the early days we were limited by the the availability of local numbers. We're pleased that this changed over time, but sometimes it's still hard to find local numbers in every area Canada. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't hesitate to reach out to support if you run into issues - they're great to deal with! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving the problem of proving custom, real-time data to our customers. We've realized that the time and resources saved by Plivo are significant. We've gone from 2-3 providers to just Plivo now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Plivo documentation was very clear. This made it is to integrate using a legacy environment. Even though our development language was not listed in the examples, since it is not generally considered for this type of use, we were able to clearly work through each needed API and get the desired results. If it worked in curl or postman, we could translate it using our environment. The pricing model was very attractive in that you only pay for SMS messages that you send. The carrier up charges are clearly laid out. They provide clear guidance for implementation to avoid carrier issues. The online console has continued to improve and has become very easy to use and find details. This has made troubleshooting very easy. The platform has been very reliable. We have experienced no issues with our solution using Plivo. We found the performance to be better than anticipated as well. The platforms send rates are as documented. We liked that they added geo permissions. It was a great way to ensure that we managed costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Message Status Callbacks - SMS API had parameters that were reserved words in the programming language that we were using. Specifically using "From" and "To" as the parameter values has caused us struggles. We needed a proxy to translate them in order to get them into our legacy environment. The API parameters, in this case, differ from other API parameters. To be consistent, we would have expected the parameters to be from_number and to_number to align with other APIs. So, a bit of inconsistency across APIs caused a slightly higher implementation curve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are offering an SMS service to notify our customer's patrons about an activity they are asked to complete. This complements the active email notifications and the passive website notices. The goal is to increase overall activity participation. As our platform keeps track of participation, the use of SMS to add notifications increases activity participation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Advisor
What do you like best?

Plivo's API support and international numbers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Testing the end-to-end customer experience can be time-consuming. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Review the API documentation and think about the complete user experience you're trying to create. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We offer an online course platform (delivered as SaaS). Customer research revealed that our instructors wanted to be able to run teleconferences with their participants, without the complexity of using external tools (in other words, they wanted conferencing integrated into our existing user experience). Since we're a small company without any expertise in teleconferencing technology, Plivo has been essential to addressing this customer need. We wouldn't have been able to build our conferencing features without Plivo, and those features have added value to our customers and also serve as a point of differentiation on our premium pricing plan. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I use Plivo to send text messages through my Rails app. Their gem was easy to pull in and setup, and I'm able to send text messages with a single line of code.

I had started with Twilio, but Twilio is twice as expensive and their strategy as a business in recent years has been to be the communication hub, not just a phone/text message provider. That's not bad, but in my case I just want a solid reliable way to send text messages - I already have tools for other communication aspects of my business.

Plivo makes it affordable for me as a business to offer text based alerts to my customers and has the same easy to use developer tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet, so far they have met my needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sending SMS messages that act as notifications for my customers. This is particularly helpful while I build out my native apps to provide push notification like functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We have been at Plivo since their inception I suppose, was generously offered $25 credits to test out their service at a time when we just had 2 employees. We are not a power user of their services but do use the platform to connect to our international clients and mainly to send 2 factor authentication tokens via SMS for our various platforms as well as our clients. Their API documentation is stellar and developers were able to integrate it pretty quickly to all our services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to be very honest, We use just a handful of the services they have to offer and are pretty happy with the uptime and delivery performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Primarily we are an Indian company and due to our telephony laws we are not able to unlock the true potential of it, We are mainly using Plivo to cater to our international requirements ie., automated and manual calls to our partners, 2-factor authentication texts. We have a few plans in the pipeline to start using other services that plivo has to offer like zen-trunk to connect our in-premises system but are waiting for regulatory reforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.