Lob Reviews & Product Details

Lob Overview

What is Lob?

Lob provides print and mail and address verification APIs that allow businesses to send personalized postcards, letters, and checks to their customers, and keep customer data up to date with accurate address information. Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.

Lob Details

Lob Screenshots

Lob Reviews

Showing 30 Lob reviews
Already have Lob?
What do you like best?

The APIs are simple. The business model is very clear and concise: send an API request, things get printed. We've been using Lob for years and have had no issues at all. Uptime and availability have been great. And I can't express enough how happy I am with the team, both support and management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't encountered anything that fits this question. This product does exactly what it says, exactly how they say it does. There's nothing to complain about at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be afraid to reach out to them if you get into a pickle during implementation. The service has grown a bunch since I built our implementation. Use all of the features :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

On-demand API driven printing is the core of my business. It can certainly be done without Lob, but the breadth and depth of the service are beyond any local solutions I've found. From the simple print API to the real-time postal updates and address verification - the whole thing's a dream for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Lob works great for sending programmatic DM via our in-house Relationship Management software. It runs in the same campaigns where we send emails and push notifications to contact our users about various things. My account manager is responsive and interested in finding solutions to our problems, and Lob's pricing consistently beats out competitor bids for similar services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only time I've really been let down by Lob was when I tried to get colleagues on our UK and Australian teams to use it. Service was unavailable in Aus, and wasn't competitively-priced in the UK. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've used Lob since 2015 for customer communications around membership onboarding and account balances. One piece of recent analysis estimated that new customers who received an onboarding postcard realized a 10-20% increase in Lifetime Value, based on behavioral cues like returning to our site, rating products, and making repeat purchases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Executive Director
What do you like best?

I've been searching for years for something like Lob. As a nonprofit, some of our donors prefer to receive their donation receipts by post mail, but it was a huge waste of time for us. Now sending a post mail is just as easy as sending an email and it's fully integrated into our workflow. It took a huge time-wasting thorn in my side and turned it into something I don't even think about!

I'm now making plans to use Lob for our other communications as well.

The website and API are first-class, and the support is excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Because of the extreme efficiency of sending post mail through Lob, there are necessarily a few limitations. For example, the types of communications you can send is pretty limited, and if you want any customization of the envelope, you have to be a top-tier customer. (However, our logo and a bit of text can show through the return address window of the envelope.)

I feel like the templates could also use some improvements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lob made sending post mail receipts just as easy as sending them by email. It's fully integrated into our workflow and saves us a ton of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Lob makes it very easy to automatically send mail. We have to send many one off transactional letters, and we used to print the PDFs and manually stuff and send the envelopes. We looked into envelope stuffing machines, but using Lob has been much better. The API integration was easy to set up, and letters go out automatically with no human intervention. They can even send checks which is functionality we require/ Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The address requirements are sometimes strict compared to what we have in our database, but it is easily overcome. It will also help us clean up our address database though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sending our transactional letters. We have realized large time savings compared to manually sending letters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The API is intelligently designed, easy to understand, and well documented. Errors give reasonably informative messages, that make developing against it fairly easy.

The time I encountered a bug (related to using conditionals in templates), the support and development teams quickly fixed the problem and let me know as soon as it was deployed. I was able to switch to the new version and everything worked flawlessly.

Additionally, every time I have had a question about using anything in Lob the support team has always responded quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The constraints around the placement of the return address and mailing address.

Because the placement is static it makes decorating the address difficult. It is very common for companies to put their logo next to the return address, but the only space that is explicitly whitelisted is the "Room for company logo" above the return address. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We need to send physical mail, because of government regulation, to customers. Sometimes these happen as individual "welcome packets" when a customer enrolls or is notified about the status of their account. Other times we are sending tens of thousands of letters to inform residents of a coming residential energy aggregation that their municipality has negotiated with us.

Because of the constant balancing act that a start up has to deal with while growing it has been very helpful that we have not been forced off of the 2017 API. We use it for the majority of our letters/contracts, because we have embedded images in the html make upgrading impossible without effort. We have recently had an opportunity to move our aggregation letters to the new API and are utilizing the Lob templates to move the responsibility of managing them from Engineering to Operations. We intend to migrate the rest of our mailing to the latest API by the end of the month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Lob provides a superb level of reliability - we have never experienced any timeouts when calling their servers. Since our requests are processed in real-time instead of batch, this is an important feature. Lob has an easy-to-install Vendor API to use when sending requests for them to process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything I do not like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Lob to print and mail the letters generated for customers by our website. The delivery status updates they provide have been a nice feature that has helped us deliver extra value to customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

Lob is very data driven and programmer friendly. It allows us to automate a lot of things easily and makes the process for our users seemless. One of the more exciting things is going to be able to surface metrics easily because of Lob. Their team has been supportive as well. They've bee transparent and we hope to continue to grow with Lob. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Difficult for Canadian companies to pay. Limitation on font styling and other creative options to increase open rates as we are sending direct mailers to leads. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Seemless mailing for our users and automation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Production
What do you like best?

Customer Service, API Functionality, Ease of use and the openness they have on limitations (see comment on format limits) as well as items that are slated for their road map. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Format limits - we are not ready to expand the formats yet but having a few more options would be nice. They have shared that there are other formats being discussed and would let us know on timing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are an AI driven automotive marketing platform. Our goal is to send the right message at the right time to the right consumer. We needed to add in the right channel as well. Adding Direct Mail helps us expand our offering and communicate with those consumers in the way that is right for them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

They have great docs which let you see examples Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They could spend more time investing in SDK's for various languages Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sending checks and verifying addresses, everything runs smoothly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Love the API dashboard. Lob spend as much time on this dashboard as any mainstream product would put towards a customer facing portal. Great documentation, examples, templates and best practices to work from as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if down the road they build a template builder or wizard that you can manipulate in a WYSIWYG style format. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sending direct mailer postcards for Clik2Flip real estate investors directly from their mobile phones! Instantly analyze a property and fire off a mailer to the property owner in seconds! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
What do you like best?

The entire concept of bringing automation and 21st century technology to a very old school (But effective!!) marketing method that Lob has some up with. It seems like direct mail has lost a lot of favor over the years because it's difficulty to truly automate and synchronize with a businesses customer database. Lob fixes that. Swiftly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There aren't very many things I can honestly say I dislike. If I had to mention something, a billing package between the developer and Start Up one would be helpful. Additional webhooks at the lower end packages would be nice. These are strictly personal preferences however and from a functionality stand point I don't think there is very much I could suggest for them to change :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We primarily started off using Lob for customer retention purposes using post cards. Shortly thereafter we branched into customer acquisition with their letters API. The next phase is for recruiting purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Engineering Manager
What do you like best?

Great API with good library support (at least for the language we use). Check mailouts are very cool. The postcard mailouts are high quality. Everything has been relatively easy to set up too (which is a big deal – digitally configuring paper designs can be hard). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Haven't disliked anything in particular so far. All has been as expected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed an alternative payout method for a while, for which we used Lob's check service. That was quite effective for us. Now we're using it for postcard mailouts. We have seen a pretty good response rate on the postcards, so we know customers 1) actually receive them and 2) seem to like them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Solutions Architect
What do you like best?

It just works. Easy to use, great interface, endlessly configurable. We love that every postcard we send can be unique if desired. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

None, we are very happy with the UI, functionality, and platform. It just works. We have to develop the integration into our in-house systems... but the flexibility that provides is essential. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We send reminder postcards to customers that may contain details specific to their account with us. We push a button in our CRM software, and off it goes. No additional effort is required from our staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like I can click on a link and it takes me directly to LOB from my dashboard Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The tracking is not available for 24 hours Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A phone number to call customer service when I have questions regarding a situation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to see status of important letters and checks being sent to our customers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
Accounting
What do you like best?

I can send paper checks from my desk without having to drop envelopes to post office or mail box Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

it’s very affordable but takes too long to deliver, I wish it would be a little more expensive per check (example $100) and deliver 2 days

Not much integrations available yet, like Zapier integromat QBO Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As I’m a bookkeeping firm

I created my own integration where I can use it to schedule checks to sent through Lob’s API recurrently for free (not using it yet) but it avoids the paid plan of lob Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Accurate address verification and mapping info Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI could be easier to understand on first use but doesn't take much time to learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Making sure that the addresses in my contact repository are accurate for follow up with leads. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

Lob has been an effortless solution to implement for my business, which sends large volume of letters. I use the API to allow letters to be sent with dynamic content given by customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! Everything has been really great. Support is very solid and the API documentation was very straightforward. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely use it if you need to send letters via an API Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been using lob to automate sending letters with content dynamically input by customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Lob provides a highly convenient API to automate our operations. We are mainly using them for sending letters. Their API makes it easy to generate and keep track of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not much fond of the web based dashboard of Lob. They need to work on that part. The dashboard crashes a lot, and it is very slow in response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The services provided by Lob are perfect for your business operations. Their API is convenient to use and integrate with any platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using Lob to verify that a provided address is correct, and we also use their services to send letters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Member experience / Mailroom
What do you like best?

What I like the most bout Lob is the accessibility and ease of being able to expediently service members with results by mail. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What! There's nothing about "Lob" to not like.....it's awesome! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problem I've successfully been able to solve has been the inevitable down time associated with having to assemble packages for mailing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

We use Lob mostly via API requests. It was easy to set up and is working reliably. The documentation was great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Haven't had any issues yet. Been very happy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're using lob to send out invoice payments. Saves us time and effort doing it manually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Lob is awesome to quickly be able to send mailings. We use them for check printing, mailing, and address verification. We tried a bunch of other people and they for sure are the best and most robust. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the postcards arrive damaged. This seems to be more of a USPS issue than a Lob issue though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to send statements, checks, and check addresses without having to use legacy providers which are a nightmare to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Setup was quick and handles our needs perfectly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Haven't run into any issues with lob yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No more manually stuffing envelopes to mail out. Used to deliver utility bills that could not be emailed or texted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

Very clean and simple to use APIs, outstanding service, and the best price in the industry. What more do you want? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are really no downsides that I know of. Of course it costs money but they obviously have to stay in business! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to issue letters and checks in an automated fashion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best experience I had was working with one of their sales engineers to set up the overly complicated direct mail campaign. He was very willing to help get things off the ground, which was appreciated. However, I don't think this should be a necessary part of their flow b/c the product itself should interface better with their core customer: marketers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI is not intuitive. The customer support mid and post campaign was non-existent. At the very least, you'd think they would check in to see how your campaign went and if you'd like to run another. They must not enjoy making more money? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a marketer, look elsewhere. This tool, as of December 2017, was very technical and difficult to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Diversifying our marketing channels with direct mail campaigns. If the technology were more user friendly, I would consider using it again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

It's so easy to scale your business with lob. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, honestly. They do a great job. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy to use and great time saver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am saving so much time not having to mail out hundreds of letters a month.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Lob?