Meltwater Reviews & Product Details

What is Meltwater?

Meltwater, a pioneer of media intelligence, gives businesses the information advantage they need to stay ahead. More than 30,000 companies use Meltwater’s media intelligence to stay on top of billions of online conversations and extract relevant insights to strategically manage their brands. With nearly 20 years of experience analyzing data, Meltwater is dedicated to personal, global service built on the local expertise of 60 offices across six continents. Our clients can monitor media coverage across both news and social media. We track over 275,000 online news sources, and have partnerships for print and broadcast monitoring. Social media listening covers Twitter, Facebook (incl. Topic Data), Instagram, YouTube, comments, review sites, forums, message boards, and over 300 million blogs. We help our clients analyze media and social media coverage with ease, with both qualitative and quantitative metrics. Our ever expanding widget library allows clients to seamlessly create dashboards to help visualize media coverage and report on the ROI of their public relations efforts. Everything is interactive and exportable, to give the context behind the numbers. Media Intelligence for PR With over 300,0000 sources and the largest library of premium content, monitor and analyze every piece of relevant media coverage from online publications, print, social media, TV and radio stations in real time. Connect with influencers and journalists and track your outreach. Social Solutions for Marketers The Social division, formerly Sysomos (acquired in April 2018), offers comprehensive data solutions to drive your social strategy. Research and monitor 200+ billion social conversations, engage and publish from one platform, easily find social influencers, and discover communities driving social conversations. Customized Solutions for the Enterprise The Enterprise Solutions team ensures that even the most complex deliverables are met quickly and effectively by our team of industry experts and analysts. Meltwater provides professional services and premium offerings for the world's leading brands.

Meltwater Screenshots

Meltwater Profile Details

Meltwater Profile Details

Related Links
Q&A
Chinese, English, French, German, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
Meltwater

1-25 of 633 total Meltwater reviews
Social Media and Marketing Coordinator
Building Materials
Most Recent Meltwater Video Review

"I like how easy to use Meltwater is"

Account Coordinator

"Meltwater - good for monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like that Meltwater allows me to personalize the dashboards to really get to what I need. It helps us with our media monitoring needs and it serves us very well when we are looking for information about a particular subject. We can specialize our reports and that helps us with industry news as well.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a little hard to decipher the information, especially when it comes to gauging sentiment on news pieces. Additionally, it takes a little bit of time to ensure that you have the Boolean set up correctly, but it's worth it once you have it fine-tuned correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a media monitoring tool, this is a great one for you to use! We have really enjoyed using this at our company.

Meltwater has helped us help our clients in ways that we were previously unable to. It's a one-stop shop when it comes to media monitoring.

Digital and Social Media Strategist
(10,001+ employees)

"Great for social listening and measurement"

What do you like best?

I like the Meltwater consistely finds conversations not found on other less robust listening tools. I also like that the reports are pretty customizable. One of the things that was a differentiator for this tool was the ability to change sentiment for conversations. As a hospital, terms like "sick" and "flu" can sometimes be part of a positive conversation. Lastly, their customer service is phenomenal.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that automatic reports are generated in the early morning of the date you have set. If you do the report ahead of time, it will capture information, such as social conversations, that you have not addressed or recategorized. I wish the reports would let you clearly define time frames and not include data outside of those parameters.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for boolean searches for social listening and measuring sentiment. Reporting can be improved. Dashboards are a great visual way to measure conversation. Captures conversations no other tool has for me.

Social listening, answering concerns and complaints, tracking sentiment, tracking conversations as related to specific terms.

Senior Global Marketing Communications Manager
Printing

"Senior Global Marketing Communications Manager for a B2B technology company in CA"

What do you like best?

1) I like Meltwater's analytics, dashboard and reporting features. After you purchase your subscription, Meltwater sassigns you to a complimentary "Client Success Consultant" to help you learn how to use Meltwater. My consultant, Alyssa Watkins, helped me set up searches and build dashboards so I can measure my brands media mentions, potential reach, monthly ad value, and sentiment . We built them so I can measure the increase in Brand Awareness for my company and I can now report quantifiable metrics to my CEO and CFO to demonstrate the positive return on my marketing department's efforts and justifies our investment into 3 new EU PR consultants.

What do you dislike?

I wish the Premium Social Package would include and provide reporting features for LinkedIn's platform. My brand focuses heavily on the B2B sector so we do a lot of sponsored social campaigns on LinkedIn. It would also be great if you can add global social accounts like Xing (Germany's version of LinkedIn) and VK for Russia (their version of Facebook). I also oversee our global social media efforts so it would be nice to be able to add all your global social accounts as well. SocialPilot let's you add up to 100 social accounts but it's reporting features aren't great.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

What I liked about Meltwater is that it comes with a complimentary training consultant that you can schedule 1:1 meetings with that will help you learn how to optimize the software based on what you're looking to do with it. There's no limit to how many sessions you get! I've met with my Client Success Manager 10 time already, and she's super helpful. Most SaaS companies make you pay extra for client support, so don't only look at the cost. Research what type of training and support package comes with each company in your consideration set.

1. Measure my teams PR Efforts and ROI

2. Brand Sentiment - We use Meltwater to track any negative comments or sentiment in the marketplace that involves our brand.

3. Increase outreach to influencers for Europe and Asia.

Public Relations & Social Media Account Director
Public Relations and Communications

"Features do not work as marketed, poor customer service"

What do you like best?

There is nothing about this product I would recommend to a colleague.

What do you dislike?

Some features were appealing, but because the media lists and news monitoring features were incomplete and inaccurate, features such as reporting, analytics, and press release distribution became useless.

Incomplete and inaccurate media lists, which rendered the press release distribution function useless because we couldn't send a press release to the reporters or influencers we were trying to target.

News monitoring is not comprehensive and misses simple things Google can pick up (and there is not integration option with Google search)

Analytics function was rendered useless, since the media montioring did not pick up all media coverage of clients.

Product would go down and not function for hours at least once a week.

Poor customer service (Impossible to get a timely response from account managers and when they did respond, they were always looking into solutions, but rarely provided solutions)

No benefits realized with this software.

Marketing Coordinator

"Good Product"

What do you like best?

This was the first media monitoring platform that I have used, and it made jumping in to using it very simple. It sends a daily notification of the top mentions, which has been very useful in allowing me to identify news stories concerning my organization that I otherwise might not have known about.

What do you dislike?

Logging in to review further than the email provides has been difficult, but that could be because of the way that my login was set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is worth trying it out. It's great having a second set of eyes on what is going on with your organization in the media, as it is impossible to always catch everything on your own.

Knowing about what is going on has allowed me to be more proactive and provided opportunities for further promoting positive stories. It has proved to be a very useful tool.

Marketing Campaign Manager

"Great PR and Social media tracking"

What do you like best?

I like that this allows us to track multiple things in one place and the aesthetics of the site. It is pretty easy to navigate and I like that you are able to easily customize the specific dashboards based on specific needs. The account support that I have experienced has been great and our rep checks in to make sure that everything is going well in the program.

What do you dislike?

It isn't the most intuitive program to use and so it does take some training and adjusting to use it. I also noticed that when we had a press release sent out, they were not monitoring that specific service so it skewed our results a bit and had I not been working with a rep to set up our monitoring, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure it out myself.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a helpful software if you have a lot of media buzz surrounding your business, as a startup I'm not sure that it is providing value to us quite yet as we aren't doing much PR at the moment.

Meltwater allows us to create multiple dashboards to review not only our media and PR presence, but also those of our competitors. This has helped us to get a more in depth look at the social reach of other similar companies in our industry. We are able to adjust our strategy based on this.

Public Relations Director
Public Relations and Communications

"Customer Service is the Key"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the customer service I receive from Meltwater. Any question I have is resolved within that day, and my issues are many times "user error" or simply me not knowing how to fully access the capabilities. Meltwater is a powerful tool, and I could not survive without it. My bosses are looking to me to be able to target a specific audience within a moment's notice. It also helps me with monitoring and reporting the coverage we receive.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes feel the platform has been so "easy" it is "hard." So, I have my team of students help me navigate it.

We are able to send out our news to very specific georgraphic areas. I also am able to find contacts of many high profile media people whenever I need to. This keeps my process moving on without slowing me down.

Senior Marketing and Brand Strategist

"Excellent!"

What do you like best?

Meltwater has helped our organization to hone in on our outreach strategy and marketing efforts in a very organized manner. I love how responsive Meltwater's team has been in helping every department in our organization to utilize Meltwater to its highest capability.

What do you dislike?

Some of the UX is a little incomprehensive and you have to spend some time getting used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Meltwater is a necessary tool for any size company to properly build, track and maintain strategy in marketing, PR and development.

We're learning how to effectively outreach to our community and local media sources in order to better maintain a cohesive marketing strategy throughout the year; as our annual strategy often fluctuates depending on what particular program is in need of the most outreach.

"Helpful, but needs work."

What do you like best?

The program is useful in that it helps you to narrow down your list of recipients to a very specific group of people, rather than emailing everyone on your contact list every time you send out a press release. You can target media members, for instance, according to their location, media channel, beat, role, distribution frequency, etc.

What do you dislike?

The overall platform is just very disorganized, in my opinion. The way everything is set up and laid out is confusing and can make it difficult to find what you're looking for. Also, the media monitoring feature does not always pick up every story (you're often better off just using Google Alerts), and the PR distribution tool severely limits the size of emails, which is a problem when you're trying to send out a press release with supplemental photos. I've had to resort to copying and pasting photos into the email body just to make sure they get sent, and have received complaints from recipients who would prefer they were attached.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This was my first time using a program like Meltwater, so I can't accurately compare it to other similar platforms, but I will say that my organization has decided to start using a different one as we weren't thrilled with our Meltwater experience.

Part of my job involves tracking the social media impressions my company generates. While most social media sites offer analytics reports of how many impressions your content generates, they rarely provide the impressions outside parties generate for you by tagging in their content. Meltwater makes it possible to obtain those numbers, which is incredibly beneficial, and I wish social media sites would start including them in their own reporting.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Meltwater is the Winner in Social Media Monitoring. "

What do you like best?

Meltwater is extremely useful in being able to monitor what is being said about our company on a global scale - specifically on social media. I get an email every morning that shows me exactly who is saying what and on which platform. From here I can take action and ensure that I'm staying ahead of any negative - and positive! - remarks. We also have the media monitoring set-up, but we don't use this as much.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater's platform can be a bit tricky to learn. It's not a very simple platform - though it's relatively drag-and-drop, but you have to be uber-aware of how to put together the lists you need so everything will be monitored correctly. That's where the Account Managers come into play. So, on the whole, if you don't have a lot of time to learn the platform - it's virtually impossible.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think Meltwater would be best suited for those who use every aspect of the platform - PR, Media, and Social Media Monitoring. Definitely try it out if you're only using for one or the other, but it's something that benefits an organization that will go "all-in".

We primarily use Meltwater as a social media monitoring tool. We're a global organization, so it can be difficult to have a full picture of how our business is being referenced across the world. But Meltwater solves that problem!

Senior Director of Communications
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great Product for Trade Associations"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy. It provides a quick, easy to read snapshot of all of our activities and campaigns. In addition we can measure overall success of our communication efforts as well as specific initiatives and easy determine what is resonating and other areas where more focus needs to be given (or de-prioritized).

What do you dislike?

Log in to multiple platforms and sometimes the it is hard to find specific instructions for different items.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Figure out what your needs are first and your strategy. Then talk to a Meltwater representative and they can typically walk you through how exactly the system will meet your needs. For small and mid-size associations, Meltwater staff is a great resource for reports and/or research that goes beyond the online system and will save you a great deal of time and be able to make better reports to your executives and board.

It is easy to identify new reporters and key influencers without much work. Also, it is very easy to show the value of communications to the senior leadership team and the board. As a result, they have responded with a better understanding of the role of communications within the organization.

Director Of Communications
Hospitality

"Powerful product; exemplary support"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is an extremely powerful product, but it is set up in such a way that it feels simple and approachable. The customer support is out of this world. Working with Meltwater has allowed our organization to streamline and improve many of our p.r. and communications practices.

What do you dislike?

You have to enter your password every time you use the app. I know it seems simple, but it's enough of a barrier to enter that it keeps me from using the app as much as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilize your account manager. This tool is more powerful than you have time to realize and they can help shed light on the benefits

Crises prevention: we see our name in the news before anyone else sees it; social media simplification: we can monitor and engage with our seven channels in one simple platform; reporting: marketing/pr/social media can be obscure and Meltwater's tools help us translate the work we do to the stakeholders who care

Communications Associate
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Amazing tool"

What do you like best?

I love that I can monitor social and media with one click of a button, create visual dashboards and set up reports that get sent to my leadership. I can easily look up an article during a crisis and determine its reach and social shares to determine if it is indeed something that needs full attention. I also really like the ability to follow certain users on social and get live alerts when they post content that relates to my industry, this makes it easy to catch things happening on social that I would otherwise miss. There have been many times where we have been able to get ahead of a bad tweet.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that there is a separate login portal for the engage tool and the monitoring tool, wish it was just one login.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try and compare it to your other monitoring efforts, I guarantee you will find it comprehensive and time-saving.

we are able to monitor the reach of our earned and generated media. We are also able to push out social content via the engage tool and tag our content so that we can pull metrics and report to our board of directors the messages that we actively pushed as they relate to our overall goals and objectives.

Senior Account Manager
Public Relations and Communications

"Meltwater is very user friendly, but not always the most accurate. "

What do you like best?

I used to utilize Meltwater at my current PR agency and it was always very helpful finding media contacts.

What do you dislike?

It seemed like it was not always updated with the most up-to-date reporter contacts. Seemed to be some growing pains at the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think Meltwater is on the right path, but it is difficult for other people in my office to understand and requires quite a bit of training. Our Meltwater representative is nice and helpful, but very difficult to pin down...seems like she's working with a lot of different clients.

It was very helpful locating media contacts and reporter's information. The platform was very beneficial in our pitching efforts.

"This tool is essential for me to perform in my role keeping our company informed"

What do you like best?

I love that once i have my dashboard set up, i have the resources I need to get the daily information I need, right at my finger tips. I also like that I can set up auto alerts on new news items.

What do you dislike?

It takes time to refine your search parameters. It is a continual process. The crawlers will bring up stories and items that may not be related to your topic, product. Also sometimes important stories might be missed on certain websites. However, once you tell your support team that they were missed, they will figure out the issue and make sure you don't miss it next time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very good product!

We use Meltwater primarily for keeping up on industry news and what our competitors are doing. The Meltwater platform really has been key in allowing us to do this in a streamlined manner. I have used another platform and before that, created my own process of monitoring news. Meltwater is by far the best tool I have found.

Director of Marketing
Government Relations

"More Value in Journalist Database than the Brand Tracking "

What do you like best?

Meltwater's journalist database (aka Influencers) makes it quick and easy to find and send content to relevant writers that may be interested in your material. You can search for journalists by topics they've written about or their beat and easily add them into categorized lists. You can personalize and send a message in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, Mention does a better job at capturing a full picture of brand mentions than Meltwater. Meltwater misses a lot of important finds that I get through Mention, and also sends me low quality mentions that Mention doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I urge you to use both Meltwater and Mention at the same time for your first year to compare and see if you want to renew your contract. Also read the cancellation policy carefully; when reading reviews I learned that their cancellation policy is non-transparent and requires a 60 day notice.

We use Meltwater to track mentions of our brand as well as reach submit content to media for potential republishing. Meltwater helps us to promote and track ourselves as industry thought leaders. It also allows us to see the efficiency of our press releases by tracking coverage after publishing.

Sr. Director of Marketing and Communications
Higher Education

"Amazing customer service"

What do you like best?

The Meltwater tools are powerful, but it is their customer service that stands out for me. I've never had a more attentive, proactive and involved software / solutions partner. This is my first social media/news monitoring platform so I don't have anything to compare Meltwater with, but it meets our current needs.

What do you dislike?

I only wish I had more time and budget to invest in more of their products. The sales team is driven, ie: pushy and persistent, however, I'm glad they were as I was reluctant to buy, but now I am thrilled with the decision.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Price is extremely negotiable. Like buying a new car, don't pay the sticker price. The price drops when you "walk away" and at quarter/yearend as they try to make their sales quotas.

Using Meltwater we've been able to bring our entire public relations efforts in-house and no longer contract out media monitoring or outreach services.

Director of Policy & Research - Lobbyist

"Meltwater Review"

What do you like best?

The hands on help from Meltwater team navigating the system and helping make changes when needed. The quality of the news stories delivered helps me in my daily tasks sending out news alerts or breaking stories pertaining to our industry.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I dislike is the availability and access to subscription based websites. Sometimes I miss things or stories due to that, but that is to be expected. Can't get them all I suppose. I believe there is an option to get around that, but of course it costs a little bit more money.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly effective in day to day news monitoring system. If you want to save time collecting news stories for distribution or review, Meltwater is an incredible tool and asset to have. Use the help they offer from their support staff, they make things very simple for you!

Meltwater helps me manage and save much needed time. By compiling daily news stories for me pertaining to the industry, I don't have to spend hours searching through google to find everything I need. Again, this is a well managed machine that saves me a lot of time.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Horrible Way to Conduct Business - BEWARE of shady business practices "

What do you like best?

The media outreach service itself is actually very helpful, however, I don't know if it is worth the negotiated price point of $7,000.

What do you dislike?

The business practice. I was a meltwater customer for a year, and when it came time to talk about my autorenewal for my contract, I asked to not be charged so we could discuss options. I was told that my autorenewal was put on hold by a rep in Miami and even called her supervisor and I was told the same thing. When it came time for me to decide to move forward our company chose to pursue other options as the price point was not in our budget at that time. I was then told that my contract had an auto-renew clause hidden in the terms and conditions and because I did not provide a written cancelation 60 days prior to the date of the autorenewal, even though I was told that they would push this. When I tried to speak to my sales rep and her boss (located in Miami) I was told that they weren't going to lose their jobs to try to fix this for me and I was forced into signing a contract in order to get additional services. If I did not sign the contract, I would be left with minimal services that I was forced into.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Beware of shady sales practices.

I was searching for a social monitoring and online listening platform. I also want a social scheduling tool, but Meltwater does not provide this.

Communications
Public Relations and Communications

"Stay far away if you're looking for reliable broadcast monitoring "

What do you like best?

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring work well.

What do you dislike?

The broadcast monitoring does not pick up the majority of alerts even when they include the keywords. In addition, when alerts are picked up, the interviews are 99% of the time incomplete and it could take days for the account rep to find the rest of the clip, which when working in a time sensitive industry is completely unacceptable. I require timely transcripts and clips, and I do not receive that from Meltwater.

I was advertised a product that could replace my current media monitoring, yet Meltwater is so incredibly unreliable that I have not been able to cancel my other service. I am therefore paying for two services due to false advertising from Meltwater. Once they have your money, they do not care about providing good customer service. I have been trying to find a solution with the company for over a month before writing this review.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not use this service if you require timely and reliable broadcast media monitoring.

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring are helpful, but not worth anywhere close the amount I paid for full service media monitoring.

Bay Area Sports Reporter
Newspapers

"Meltwater allows for tracking data easily"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the ability to see what pr strategies are working effectively by monitoring their reach and interaction. I think that by using it and tracking data, we can see what works and what doesn't on a much more consistent basis. Before using Meltwater, we could sometimes misplace our time working on projects that didn't penetrate our market the way we wanted to. Now, we can see what our audience reacts to and what they don't, and more importantly, how we achieve prime acquisition rates that turn views and interaction into profits on a consistent, reliable basis.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface isn't as streamlined as I would hope it to be, but in general, it's not an issue. IT can be difficult to do deep-dives into data and work your way around the nitty-gritty portions of acquisition information, but I've found that's the same for most softwares.

Meltwater has allowed me to see where I am getting the most traction on my campaigns and allows me and coworkers to put our effort towards projects that have a higher rate of success.

Digital Marketing

"An Easy-to-Use PR Tool"

What do you like best?

Collection place for all of the press and social mentions of our company.

Amazing customer service; my rep is always there whenever I need help solving something.

Compact reports that can be easily modified and sent out from the platform.

What do you dislike?

A steep learning curve when getting started on the platform with how to use all of the tools and charts. I suppose the steepest part of the curve is when you are trying to make things more custom than the out-of-the-box version of the charts.

Sentiment analysis, press coverage tracking. We've seen that Meltwater have been able to help us with both of these problems.

Communication Coordinator
Philanthropy

"No longer spinning my wheels"

What do you like best?

I'm a one-woman shop in my small non-profit and I was spinning my wheels every time I attempted to get media coverage. My excel spreadsheets were always out of date, my press releases took hours to send individually to journalists or were ignored if sent en masse. After just one month of using the Meltwater platform, I've already had coverage by three media outlets! It's so simple to send personalized releases or pitches without spending hours on emails and it's so simple to reach the right people the first time.

What do you dislike?

So far, nothing. I'm only about a month into using the platform and have been really happy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Excellent customer service and support! Flexible pricing packages - especially for smaller non-profits and especially compared to their competitors.

Our small non-profit is finally getting media coverage and I'm saving literally hours of my time. I also found several pieces of news coverage through the searches that I wouldn't have previously found via Google alert.

Marketing Coordinator
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Meltwater is a great resource for gathering and organizing information for my company."

What do you like best?

There are many reports that assist with my monthly social recap. I also love that Meltwater picks up on every mention across social platforms.

What do you dislike?

There are so many features that are a little out of my budget working at a nonprofit.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Meltwater is an all inclusive system that offers so much more than just social and media monitoring. You can monitor, record and measure social endeavors. You also have the ability to pitch, contact and gather all media information you are mentioned in via TV, print and digital.

One of our main issues to finding out what people were saying about us. Many times, people do not tag or even correctly spell our names on social channels and in the media. Meltwater has helped us find all of these mentions and act on them when needed.