Sunrise Reviews & Product Details

What is Sunrise?

Sunrise is a hassle-free accounting platform for entrepreneurs who don't want to get a degree in accounting just to run their business. Our easy user interface lets users complete their tasks in fewer clicks than any other accounting platform out there so they can focus on what matters, their customers. We offer full double-entry accounting for easy tax preparation, automatic bank-syncing, invoice customization and receipt capture tools.

Sunrise Screenshots

Digital Marketing Specialist
Internet
Most Recent Sunrise Video Review
Selfemployed

"What a scam - stay clear!"

What do you like best?

Hard to write something positve about a company that does not care about it's users

What do you dislike?

Bought a lifetime deal of the Billy software when it was founded a few years back. The founder Joshua Waldman promised that Billy was here to stay. Now my account is being terminated because new owners will not account users from my country (Hong Kong). Joshua still seems to be the director (at least he is listed as this in their social media profiles - even the sale was as per 1/1-2019). No refund - no help with migration. Just goodbye - we keep your money. I understand buying a lifetime deal can be risky and the company could close - but this is a joke and completely undermine the trust is Joshua and Billy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Stay away at all cost!

I hoped to solve my bookkeeping. Now I am trying to solve how to migrate away from Billy.

Owner
Information Services

"Billy has turned traditional accounting on its head for me."

What do you like best?

Simplicity. Billy makes accounting simple. That's it. All other systems I've used were over-complicated with difficult interfaces. Not Billy. It is well designed, easy to follow and has an excellent non-fussy user interface. It also loads quickly and performs well as a SAS service overall.

What do you dislike?

Having to manually enter bank data instead of an automatic sync is a drawback. There may be a way to automate this but I haven't found it yet. If this is the case, it should be easier to find it and implement it. Aside from that, I find it an excellent product and a superb service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I found I had to do the trial first to realize how easy it was going to be to switch. Then, when it all went smoothly, I was sold. The first look of the Billy App is rather simplistic, so it is easy to make a judgment that it is not comprehensive enough to run your business, but try it, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Automatic repeat invoicing is a huge benefit. I love that I can create new accounts or new products from various screens. In other words, I don't have to go back to a Create Account screen, or a New Product screen each time. I like its ease of use and the ease with which Billy shows the current state of play in my business is really helpful.

Response from Joshua Waldman of Sunrise

We have updated our bank linking technology to include thousand of new banks. Why not try linking your bank and give it a try!

(Myself Only)

"A lifetime deal is less than two years??"

What do you like best?

Serving international clients.

But no more !!

What do you dislike?

1. After selling "LIFETIME" Deals in August 2017 on Appsumo Platform (less than 2 years of time till now), this evil company just move away by selling its company and left every single international client just like that. URL Proof of the lifetime deals: https://appsumo.com/billy/

screenshot before they try to put down the above URL: https://cl.ly/f260ff8683e8

2. Not providing compensation for clients, especially international clients that purchased their "Lifetime" deals, basically, the people behind the company said that: purchasing a lifetime deal is a risk ( yeah we all know that, but we expect more, it is not even 2 years yet)

The URL for unresponsible saying: https://billyapp.com/billy-acquisition-qa/

Screenshot proof (before they delete it): https://cl.ly/539b0ed5cbf7

3. I am not sure about everyone else (there are probably a hundred others that purchased this deal), but being an international client and not getting compensation after only more than a year for their so-called "LifeTime deal", I felt like getting scammed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Stay away from the evil company.

at this time, none

Chief Velocity Officer

"WAY simpler than QuickBooks"

What do you like best?

Ease of use - the matching of invoices and expenses - aaaaaaaah..... so intuitive.

How easy it is to see overdue payments

Excellent customer support

Great training sessions - to the point, well run.

Even my CPA accountant likes it! - especially since I now do a better job of adding my receipts instead of handing them a pile of paper to deal with. :)

What do you dislike?

Will need recurring billing (for subscription services)

Will eventually need to offer a payroll option.

Time tracking would be a bonus, but right now I do that in my project management software. No big deal!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have wanted to move off of QB for a loooong time. Couldn't decide between FreshBooks, Xero, or a few other solutions. When I saw the Billy webinar, it just looked so easy. I tried the introductory offer, and was hooked. Don't just buy it. Get your own information in there. I spent an afternoon creating 6 months of data. Wasn't bad. Familarized me immediately with the system, and my support questions were a lot more specific.

Because it's so simple, I stay on top of my financials so much better than I did with Quickbooks. I've reduced dependence on my bookkeeper. I have a clear picture of where the money is coming in and going out.

Director

"I like Billy :)"

What do you like best?

I like the clean and simple interface and that they are always publishing resources to make my life as a user easier. I also like the fact that they are aware of the competition and it's easy to see that they are continually striving to make the product better.

What do you dislike?

Because Billy is young, they're still finding their footing, which means a few features are undergoing changes even as I am getting used to the service. I can't find too many faults with them because as I mentioned above, they're constantly working on improving the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I believe that Billy will meet most organisations needs, especially if you are a small to medium business but be aware that Billy is young and still growing in many ways so prepare to be patient and go on the journey.

Billy will make accounting easier and will always give me a good indication of where my business is at. I am still in the process of moving across from another accounting package but once the transition is complete, Billy's simplistic approach will make accounting a whole less painful for me because it's not my strength.

(Myself Only)

"Easily create and track invoice"

What do you like best?

Billy provides the creation and tracking of invoice. It also provides the creation of a recurring invoice, bill tracking, as well as the automatic creation of balance sheet. Billy is also a SaaS, so there's no software/app to install and can be accessed anywhere.

What do you dislike?

Billy has a cool feature of reconciling bank accounts. Unfortunately, it hasn't supported the country I'm currently residing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a small business and/or entrepreneur, and your business is growing, you will eventually need accounting software to track your income/finance. Billy provides easy-to-use solution for this need.

As a recent solopreneur, all I need is to create and track invoice. Billy provides this - and more. I can create an invoice, send it to the client, and then track it - all inside Billy.

I provide web design, development, and maintenance, as one of my services. The recurring invoice feature in Billy saves me a lot of time, as I can schedule and send invoice automatically.

Wordsmith * Book designer * Web manager
Information Services

"Easy to use and reliable"

What do you like best?

As a solo service provider, I need a reliable method of billing that doesn’t require a full-time staff. I find that in Billy. I can keep track of my services to clients so that billing day goes smoothly. It also allows me to collect payments by credit card and to send friendly reminders when an invoice falls through the cracks.

What do you dislike?

I don't use the expense tracking features, preferring to do it myself, which is not really a knock against Billy, since there are probably people who do like to use it.

One improvement I would like to see is an easier interface for managing the canned replies. It took me quite a while to find it, and it doesn't give me as much control over my communications with clients as I would prefer.

Business problems Billy helps with:

1. Too much time spent on monthly billing

2. Difficulty keeping track of who's paid and who owes

3. Having to construct monthly invoices from scratch

Supply Chain Consultant - AMITA Health
Hospital & Health Care
(10,001+ employees)

"A great web-based application - with all the features of the big guys, without the cost"

What do you like best?

The fact that Billy is cloud-based (and free), make it quite attractive. Icing on the cake are all the features, and the ability to upload receipts directly into the application, make it even that much better, especially for those who don't want (or can't) be tied to just one computer/location (like myself, an independent consultant who travels).

What do you dislike?

Not so much a dislike... more a wishlist

Even though uploading receipts is good, I wish Billy shared between some of the big cloud-based storage solutions, like Dropbox, or Google Drive.

Understanding the low cost of Billy, there are features that aren't included - like helping you file your business taxes. But when I compared the prices of applications that offered that feature, it was cheaper to hire an accountant.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just spend a half-hour with the product. The time spent will reap huge benefits

Using Accounting Software, helps me add legitimacy to my business - I could hand-write invoices, or use any of the many Word or Excel templates, but Billy makes my business look just like the big guys, even with a vendor portal for my customers/clients.

Social Media Marketing Manager
Automotive

"The friendly Billy"

What do you like best?

It's so easy to create a client and send an invoice. I dislike accounting for projects and collecting. I prefer the creative aspect of projects. But with Billy, it's streamlined for freelancers like me. Running a small business and maintaining relationships with clients is important.

What do you dislike?

Billy is great. Nothing as of yet. Maybe better integration

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a freelancer or someone who is looking for ease of use and effective accounting, them Billy is your app. Easily manage and invoice customers- and get paid!

I'm able to properly and promptly share my invoices with clients with a click of a button. Clients see how convenient it is for them also. I've realized that a client can be happy paying their bills.

Social Media Manager
Higher Education
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Good at business. Sucky at accounting."

What do you like best?

Billy makes it easy to do the "make the business run" stuff that I either (1) hate doing or (2) suck at doing. I understand it all now and get it done. I tried using Quickbooks on the recommendation of my accountant. It did everything I needed, but I couldn't understand the way it thought through stuff. Couldn't figure out how to make everything work with my business. No problems like that with Billy!!

What do you dislike?

At this point, I don't have any dislikes. Billy works in a way I understand (unlike QuickBooks) and helps me track my numbers. More importantly, I'm motivated to enter everything and keep it up to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a creator who needs to spend time making things happen, you'll love Billy. It lets me focus on the creative parts of my work rather than the boring "gotta do it because" stuff.

Tracking money in and out, generating proposals, helping me remember to collect past-due bills.

CTO

"Excellent Accounting Software for contractors or small businesses"

What do you like best?

The fact that Billy is cloud based and supports mobile is great as I can keep my accounts up to date on the road.

Billy has a very simple and intuitive interface that makes day to day tasks simple and easy. The VAT returns and templating support is great.

Billy's reporting is excellent and very understandable

What do you dislike?

Nothing - excellent so far. Compares very well to other software I have used.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a sole contractor or a small business then I highly recommend Billy as accounting software that is simple and easy to get up and running and use day to day.

Since starting to use Billy I've got much more time back that enables me to concentrate on my actual work rather than struggling with accounts.

I'm running a small business so having software that makes the accounting side of simple is a big help to allow me to concentrate on the aspects of the business that are my forte.

Marketing Director

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity and built-in functions that Billy offers. I save a lot of time but have to review the things that I like to review myself without leaving everything to automation.

What do you dislike?

Some of the sorting requires going into the actual transaction and changing it and then going back to the list page. This requires too many clicks and can be tedious if you import everything at once in the beginning.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have some patience in the beginning.

I am using Billy to streamline my invoicing and bookkeeping.

UP
(Myself Only)

"Billy is a Solid Upstart Performer"

What do you like best?

I love my spreadsheets and I'm really good at building them. But it was time to move into a true accounting system for my business. After evaluating other options, I found a deal on Billy that was too good to pass up. It took a bit of work to set up, but now I have it working well and my business is more professional because of it.

What do you dislike?

The software is still new, so it's missing some more advanced reporting and dashboards that I hope will be added later. If those dashboards can be customized by the user, it'll be a grand slam.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. It's not the biggest player in the market, but has solid features for the price.

I have true business accounting reports now, and a full quote/invoicing solution. I'll be sticking with Billy for a while because it's doing what I need it to do...make my business run better.

Transformational Journeys Guide and Trainer
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Loving it so far!"

What do you like best?

I've only just started to use Billy, but so far I love it. It is very simple - even for someone who is not a software or accounting pro. I used the invoicing for a new client and felt great about sending something so professional-looking after two decades of making my invoices in a word processing program. I've barely scratched the surface of what Billy can do, but I"m happy so far!

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about it at this point.

I did not have any accounting software before Billy. I've done it all in spreadsheets and hard copy files since I opened my first business in 1998. I'm mostly solving my expense planning and P/L reporting. And also...like I said above, the invoices are beautiful and so simple to make. At long last, I feel like I understand where finances stand in my business and that is a huge relief.

Partner/President
Internet

"Billy is a pleasure to use"

What do you like best?

On-boarding as a new user is delightfully simple, and the custom invoice builder allows me to send nicer, more professional invoices to my clients. As a creative pro, it's the extra little "wow" factors that make a difference,

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the logo. I get it, but just wish it was less cartoonish, and more professional. It's a bit weird when that I always have a dude's head on my screen (Sorry, I know nobody likes other designers ripping on their logo). The ability to swap out the logo with my company logo would be fantastic - Freshbook offers this option.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Billy provides a reliable, full-featured accounting solution at an afford price point, and makes it (almost) fun to stay on top of billing, collections, and expenses.

Billy is simplifying our accounting process with Stripe integration, and keeping us aware of open invoices. It is also MUCH easier to use than Quickbooks!

CEO
Food Production

"Billy is Simple to Use"

What do you like best?

I like that Billy is simple to use. I'm not an accountant, nor do I have an accounting degree, but it's easy for me to use Billy to track all of my business expenses.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see all of my transactions listed out with which category I put them in. I can print out the spreadsheet and see it, but I'd like to see it be an option to view in the program as well. (It does show individually, but I'd like to see it in the list format too.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I haven't used any other software, but for me, Billy seems very easy to use!

I needed to track all of my expenses for my business. With Billy, I have my business bank account hooked to it so it automatically imports all my transactions and I can upload my receipts to attach to each transaction, yea!! No more keeping printed receipts! I can also share Billy with my accountant - hello, tax season will be much easier for me (and probably for him).

CEO - Founder
Civic & Social Organization

"Start-up, Entrepreneur, Minimal Accounting Knowledge - No worries - Billy is for you"

What do you like best?

User-friendly, easy to use, logical and the great support from Laurie. Love that it is evolving and improving on a regular basis. The layout of the pages and the colours are also really good - I am dyslexic and clarity makes a huge difference.

What do you dislike?

I struggled to find how to account for refunds - but that has now been sorted out and there is an easy way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Doing our accounts terrified me. I'm dyslexic and had the tiniest bit of knowledge that wasn't going to get our first set of accounts done. Then I discovered Billy, it looked 'user-friendly' so I thought that I would give it a go and I am glad I did because just a few weeks later I have completed our accounts and report and filed our accounts - saving us about £1000 (that we didn't have - so actually it saved our business)

Founder & Web Consultant

"Accounting that I actually do..."

What do you like best?

It's intuitive, and just works. Rather than having to set aside a chunk of my day or week to do accounting, I can just add invoices, bills etc. as they happen, wherever I am. Billy helps keep me up to date, no matter how little time I have. I regularly do bits of accounting on the bus between offices, because I can.

What do you dislike?

It's new software, and can be buggy at times. This is normal for bleeding edge SAAS, and any reported bugs have been patched up before I've reported them again. :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, especially in the odd 5 minutes in between doing other things, and you'll see the real beauty of it.

Accounting is one of the last things I want to have to do, and as a freelancer working with other freelance developers and lots of clients, it's a real chore.

Billy makes it simple enough that I generally manage to keep on top of it.

Attorney - Principal
Law Practice

"Simple to use accounting software"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Billy is it's intuitive nature. From the time I started using it, navigation of the dashboard was straight-forward, and using the system was clean and uncomplicated. As an additional benefit, it hooks with a couple of other apps I run, which reduces my work.

What do you dislike?

One thing that I take issue with, which I've raised to the Billy team, is that you cannot set an expense as a recurring expense. For many businesses, mine included, I have several office expenses which recur on a monthly basis. Rather than having to input those costs every month, I would like to be able to enter an expense once and set it as recurring.

I had been tracking expenses on a spreadsheet. It became unwieldy, and then I had another layer of work each year around tax time. With Billy, it all automates pretty simply. Other than the lack of entering an expense as a recurring expense, I think it's a time saving piece of software.

Director

"Amazing customer service, intuitive invoicing"

What do you like best?

The team at Billy are super helpful, friendly and are working well with their customers to create an invoicing software that is second to none. They have listened to their critics and have taken everything on board.

The process is intuitive, very easy to use and looks great as an invoicing software.

What do you dislike?

Not much too dislike, the only critiscism I had are being addressed and incorporated into the system. I.e as of right now Paypal is not a valid way for your customers to pay for your services, but there is a fix coming next month!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a great software for those in the digital marketing field, it feels like it really caters to this audience.

The obvious is its most practical use at creating invoices for my clients. Simple straight forward invoicing. However the not so obvious is the introduction of GST(Australia) tax option so I can calculate my GST easily AND the option to share this information with my accountant built into the platform!! These are great benefits, also the livechat if you do have any questions you can simply ask anything and get a prompt reply.

Owner & Chief Marketing Consultant

"Completely replaced my website invoicing system"

What do you like best?

I love how Billy lets me send quotes and invoices and keep track of everything in a simple and easy to manage system. From checking Billy I get an idea of what my revenue stream looks like and it even sends reminders for when someone hasn't paid within a set time period.

What do you dislike?

I was hoping Billy would be more like Mint or QuickBooks and pull my bank data through too, sadly this isn't the case although I can upload receipts to it which is nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are spending inordinate amounts of time chasing customers, managing invoices / quotes and losing track then you really need Billy in your business life.

I no longer need to chase up people who haven't paid within a set time and I am loving seeing all my financial stats when I login - makes it very easy to manage and plan appropriately.

Response from Joshua Waldman of Sunrise

Digital Strategy, Marketing Automation, Online Marketing, CRO, Branding, Wordpress Development

"Newcomer Invoicing & Billing Platform for Freelancers & Entrepreneurs"

What do you like best?

Form & function. For real the UI/UX is very nice. And you can configure the platform to be as in-depth and "accountanty" as you want or very simple and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

Truthfully I don't like the basic mobile app that Billy App has deployed so far. While not a major issue for me I always liked the Freshbooks mobile application so I could execute invoicing on the go without dragging out my laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely, give it a chance and do the trial. They are headed in the right direction and provide a wealth of features at a great price point.

Billy has replaced Freshbooks and Zoho Books for me. It's made billing much simpler and straight forward and because of the tight integrations with my other software apps and tools, it's saved me a ton of time.

Managing Director
Oil & Energy

"Transitioning from my old provider was a breeze"

What do you like best?

My previous accounting software was old fashioned and clunky, but I resisted changing because I felt that I didn't have time for a new learning curve. I made the move to Billy and was amazed at the intuitive interface and stylish design. I managed to set up my account, and send an invoice in around half an hour which was really painless. I wish that I'd moved across much earlier.

What do you dislike?

Whilst I'm no accounting software guru, I haven't found anything to dislike yet.

I can see that Billy will help me to organize my receipts and expenses mush easier. I'm looking forward to integrating my banking as well.

Founder and Chief Geek
Telecommunications
(Myself Only)

"Easy to use billing and expense tracking tool"

What do you like best?

It's easy to set up recurring invoices, group expenses by category, organize bills. The emails clients get with their invoices are easy to personalize, which is really neat. I have not tried billing directly through Billy but will try that going forward as my business grows. It also has a fun feel and friendly / happy interface which a lot of other "big brand" expense management tools don't have.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about it -- it's really the best, no-hassle expenses tracker I have used in my business.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a small company and need a no-hassle, simple system to track expenses and invoices, Billy is going to be your best friend :)

It's the only tool I use for tracking expenses and billing clients -- works like a charm!

AM

"Ease of Use"

What do you like best?

They have created Billy to be simple and easy for anyone to use. Whether you are a CPA or a "regular Joe" like me.

It's really simple to get setup and snd out your first invoice. Their platform walks you through everything you need and helps you integrate your entire operation into the system.

What do you dislike?

It's not Quicken... but it doesn't need to be!!

I really don't have any dislikes at this point in time (besides the look of Billy's face!!). Of course, that is because we are a small operation with large margins, so it fits our needs.

It has everything you need, but if you are requiring it to have hooks and segmentation taken to the next level, well then, this may not be for you.

Invoicing and recurring payment solutions

Sunrise User Ratings