Microsoft Dynamics GP Reviews & Product Details

What is Microsoft Dynamics GP?

Microsoft Dynamics GP (formerly Great Plains) software delivers comprehensive out-of-the-box business management functionality, from operations management and financial management to human resource management and manufacturing. It connects the many moving parts of your organization, giving you better visibility into and control over what۪s going on in your business.

Microsoft Dynamics GP Screenshots

Microsoft Dynamics GP Profile Details

Microsoft Dynamics GP Profile Details

Related Links
Q&A
Microsoft
Description
Microsoft Corporation develops, licenses, and supports software products and services; and designs and sells hardware worldwide. Flagship products include Windows, Office, Azure, SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics ERP and CRM, as well as Xbox; Skype; and Windows Phone.
1975

Consultant, Accounting
Most Recent Microsoft Dynamics GP Video Review
Accountant
Retail

"Effective for Reporting in Limited Rollout"

What do you like best?

Dynamics GP has been refreshing to use in my accounting career!

The feature I used the most was the Smartlist search, where you could narrow down searches of the General Ledger. The feature is very robust to use and helped me to search for specific transactions over a long period of time. It is simple to use and can easily be exported into

What do you dislike?

We needed to use a consulting firm in order to integrate Dynamics GP with our ERP system. When I started the integration, I thought it would be for a one-time setup. I did not realize we would then need to buy an annual service contract to continue using our integration. Glad we did buy the contract though, because we needed to work on the integration for several months until we had a smooth process down.

Also, the built in trial balance reporting is not great. We used Management Reporter to get better financial reporting and Trial Balances.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely use a consultant if you plan to switch to Dynamics GP. It's a large piece of software to manage.

Working for a regional retailer, we switched to Dynamics GP to use for our accounting and general ledger when we decided to switch our ERP system. The new ERP did not have an accounting piece built in properly, so our solution was to take an export from the ERP into Dynamics. The ERP was able to send out a basic daily pass off of sorts, that we then were able to import into Dynamics.

We were able to import batches every day, but unfortunately the ERP did not have very accurate accounting. At this time we are searching to see if we should use Dynamics for our ERP solution.

"Straightforward software"

What do you like best?

The best part about MS Dynamics GP is the ability to "copy and paste" journal entries into the General Journal entry window from any Excel workbook. The integration is as easy as highlighting an array of cells which contain a description, account, debit, and credit for each line item in the journal entry. I am also a very large fan of the smartlist feature. Smartlists basically let you build queries using their user-friendly interface. They will return anything (in tabular form) that doesn't require too complicated of join structures on the back end (database).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software can run a bit slow. This may not be MS Dynamics GP's fault. Either way, it should be noted. For whatever reason, it can take a very long time for trial balances to generate. Also, the program can take a while to start up as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have a solid support team. Typically, this would be a 3rd party vendor. If I'm not mistaken, our consultants have been key in troubleshooting any issues we've had arise over the last couple years. Furthermore, they were the ones who created the aforementioned integration with MS Excel.

MS Dynamics GP is accounting software. So, we are using it as our general ledger. The software makes sure the typical accounting controls are adhered to (debits = credits, user restrictions, etc.). The software appears to tackles all of these things sufficiently.

Administrative Assistant

"Confusing navigation"

What do you like best?

I like how well Microsoft dynamics can be integrated with our school gateway system to easy show my vacation and sick hours. I also like that it has the ability to show my timestubs and W4.

What do you dislike?

It is a little hard to navigate and does not allow you to click the back arrow in the system. I was never technically trained on how to use it so it has been a little hard for me to figure everything out.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have someone train you in the system, without any training it has been quite complicated for me to figure out on my own.

Showing payment, sick/vacation time, and W4 to all employees

Professional Services Adminsistrator
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Great Program, To be Discontinued in a few years"

What do you like best?

I like the setup because we have two entities and need to toggle between them. We use infinia to import long journal entries which is nice to have since it recognizes valid GL's. I have used a few other in-house programs and this one is the best.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the program doesn't always talk to our AP software which makes importing difficult at times. We do not have as much flexibility to personalize it to fit our needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GP is not being supported by Microsoft anymore. We were given a 5 year timeline until it is completely done. This program has been around for a long time and I do not know why Microsoft isn't replacing it with something else. I believe they are partnering with another company that is already developed, it might be cheaper to partner instead of upkeeping the software.

We use it primarily for accounting and AP recording of transactions.

Corporate Support
Accounting

"Perfect for our company! "

What do you like best?

I love that's it is an all in one accounting and HR solution for our business. Payroll, payables, receivables, and much more that I have not even discovered yet!

What do you dislike?

There are so many places to update things, it can get confusing to remember where to go.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take it for a spin, it might not look like the most intuitive system but it is bursting with power and features once you get into it.

Payroll reports are a snap; it saves so much time knowing that the system is taking care of keeping records for us.

Financial Analyst - Team Lead

"Great Plains Review - Large Company"

What do you like best?

I like that Great Plains interacts well with our reporting tool. I also like that you can set up inter-company relationships (as we have many). It's also nice that I can set up recurring batches, smart lists, and other items that I do monthly to save time. It is also nice that we can integrate an entry into one company and push it all to all the others.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is not an option to close all of our databases for the month all at one time. We have close to 90 databases and we have to go into each database each month and close each module. It is a 4 hour process, sometimes longer depending on how fast our systems are running.

We are solving the problem of how to report our numbers in a way that multiple people can access the system at once. Benefits realized include integrations, smart list research, easy year-end close process.

Assistant Manager
Telecommunications

"Microsoft Dynamics GP - Best Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Easy Reporting through Smart List. Integration with multiple other reporting software's.

Also it Reduces the cost of doing business by eliminating unproductive tasks and repetitive busywork.

Reduces administrative overhead. Also improves efficiency.

What do you dislike?

Some times batch got stuck during posting. Also we are unable to generate bank transactions main account entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very good & Trusted software. Ease of use for those who are working in Accounts

We are generating many adhoc Financial reports directly through smart list with the help of any external software.

Staff Accountant
Newspapers

"I use Microsoft Dynamics GP for corporate accounting."

What do you like best?

I use Microsoft Dynamics for general ledger purposes, generating reports and financial statements. My locations use Quickbooks and this data is imported into Microsoft Dynamics since Quickbooks can not handle multiple location reporting. Microsoft Dynamics provides detail reporting which is useful for balancing and budgeting. The reports are available in detail and summary format. It's easy to save the report you've created. The reports can be exported to Excel but the out put is not very easy to use without editing. We use FRX report writer to achieve detailed financial statements from the data in Microsoft Dynamics.

What do you dislike?

The account payable module in Microsoft Dynamics is complicated and not user friendly. Entering payables required creating a batch, entering each payable and then posting the batch. To cut checks, a batch had to be created, select payables and then post the batch after processing the checks. We stopped processing our corporate accounts payable through Microsoft Dynamics and now use Quickbooks for this function.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I find Microsoft Dynamics difficult to navigate through. It takes time to figure out how to get the reports you need. Accounts Payable is fine but not user friendly. It's difficult to correct errors.

We use Microsoft Dynamics solely for General Ledger purposes. All of our data is imported into Dynamics so that we can general reports and financial statements. We post monthend and correcting journal entries through Microsoft Dynamics. We use access to import large repetitive type journal entries.

"User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The smartlists are what I use the most for my job function. They make it easy to use various filtering modes to get what we need. We have the most basic model so what we have works for what we've needed.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it doesn't confirm when you do tasks. You dispatch a call to someone, there's no response going, done! or complete! You have to hope that it did what you wanted it to, we will soon be having an upgrade to our system and from what I've seen it will streamline the process much better. When invoicing currently we are required to open each window to adjust and now we will have the ability to review without going in to each one.

It's the best for calculating out payroll and billing needs, as long as it's programmed correctly.

"Microsoft Dynamics GP"

What do you like best?

The software is relatively easy to use. The biggest advantage of GP is probably it is a Microsoft product, meaning GP works well with other Microsoft products, such as the Office suite. The learning curve is also not that steep if users are willing to learn through various blogs, videos and through Microsoft web site. The price is very competitive, comparing to leading-edge solution such as Intacct or NetSuite.

What do you dislike?

The front end has a vintage feel. On finding the table on back end trying to find on which table the data is stored in takes a lot of time so the learning curve from a reporting sense is very long. The SQL tables are sparse - so you could end up having to add several tables to a query just so you can connect the one table you need. Report writing process is long and arduous initially. It is really expensive to upgrade. Other solutions in past lives have required minimal tech support to upgrade, this is a major process to upgrade and therefore very expensive.

Keep on tracking the business by processing different orders like sales and purchase and their financial management and also developing the customized reports based on the client requirements.

(10,001+ employees)

"Potentially Powerful, Limited Out Of Box"

What do you like best?

The best part of Microsoft Dynamics GP is the large user base, which means an active online community to find help, and many actively developed related plugins and services.

What do you dislike?

For a Microsoft product, GP is disappointingly half baked. Just for a few examples, for AP transaction entries, it is far too easy to move between different batches without even noticing it. My team accidentally edits or deletes each other’s transactions on a regular basis. Another huge issue is the check printing function. If you have more than one user, it is far too easy to mess each other up, with the check numbers regularly going off track and requiring a manual reset to the correct number. There are so many reports that cannot be reproduced after closing the output window. Accidentally closed something you meant to print? Tough luck; it’s gone forever. Reports and data retrieval via Smart List and the like are sorely lacking. You can’t even pull transaction entries by G/L coding. There are so many seemingly basic features that cannot easily or at all be utilized without paying for additional plugins or resorting to SQL hackery (assuming you even have access to do so. No one in my entire branch is authorized.). The 1099 tracking system is sorely lacking. I would like to see a more sophisticated way of storing W-9 information and have GP itself kept up to date with various IRS reporting requirements. The vendor address card system is a joke. There’s not even a place to officially store email addresses? Come on.

Basic AP/AR accounting routines

"Microsoft Dynamics GP"

What do you like best?

First of all, GP does a lot of great things and holds in a lot of information. I use it to look for check numbers, how much we paid a vendor, what account number goes with what or who, etc. You can also pull up data from a lot of account numbers.

What do you dislike?

It's slow at times and a little old school, but it does the job and the programs are great for our work space and our needs.

I am able to pull up tables and data information. I can enter in purchase orders (PO's), journal entries, credit and debit, etc. It's a good program for finance and accounting.

"Archaic "

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of Great Plains and the ease of navigating how to get to a transaction. The transactions are also easy to understand as you are going through so it is helpful for beginners to walk their way through it even without directions.

What do you dislike?

The interface itself seems very old and doesn't look nice, as well as the screen print outs for the transactions. It is frustrating that there is no way to import or export to Excel unless you have an add-on - it is very incompatible with all of our other functions. Additionally, many of the transactions take too long to post - for example approval of time cards.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make the interface cleaner and nicer - and make it easily compatible with Excel without needing an add-on. We also recently tried the Titanium GP add-on but have had so many issues we haven;t been able to utilize that either.

We use Great Plains for all of our project accounting so our main transactions are inventory transfers, miscellaneous logs, and journal entries. We no longer use it for AR and AP, but we still use it for basically everything else.

Office Manager
Accounting

"One of the worst accounting systems I have ever used"

What do you like best?

I really didn't like this system at all. This was at a former employer and I didn't find the system to be user friendly. But in all fairness, that company didn't keep their programs up to date, so it is possible that I was using an old version.

What do you dislike?

Everything. It's not intuitive, it doesn't have drill-down capabilities that I think it needs. It really isn't user friendly. I actually found SAP to be a better tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend utilizing the entire system, don't implement select parts and ignore others. Full integration would probably improve the usefulness of this software.

They were trying to use the system for their accounting processes. However, they kept a number of things separate, purchase orders for one, receiving of purchase orders related to inventory and the actual inventory were maintained on in house created mainframe software.

Assistant Human Resources Manager

"GP for Managing Employee Records"

What do you like best?

I like how you are able to generate specific reports using various categories to sort through large quantities of data and export it into an excel spreadsheet. It makes my job easier since in my company there is very high turnover.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the amount of screens you have to go into in order to find some information about employees. It should be streamlined to allow for data to be accessible through less windows. Data should be able to be downloaded into a savable document such as the check file reports so that you don't always have to print out the reports on paper.

Managing employees benefits is a big part of my job. This program allows me to manage premiums year to year so that all deductions are up to date. The benefits of this program allows me to view these changes each week.

"Powerful, yet easy to use"

What do you like best?

Although it takes a few days to learn the ropes and some tasks may be repetitive, it's easy to get the hang of it.

What do you dislike?

Some tasks, such as adding information for a third party who is paying for a customer in Point of Sale, takes a while; even more so when you need to remove the third party and replace it with a different one.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After having used a different, more "modernized" POS system, I like Great Plains even more. It has been around for a very long time, does what it's supposed to do and it does it well.

We use Great Plains as our POS system for many years and it has been very reliable for the most part.

"Great PAINS!"

What do you like best?

The AIT module for intercompany transactions is convenient.

What do you dislike?

It's the 21st Century, Windows 10 is out, and for some reason Microsoft thinks it's just fine to produce a extremely cumbersome POS program like this. \

Specific gripes:

No easy search tool

1) You've got to pray to god you printed backup or finding intercompany journal entries, AIT transactions, or A/P or A/R module transactions will prove very laborious.

2) No easy way to reverse or correct a JE

3) No easy way to export to Excel (even though this is a Microsoft Program? WTF Microsoft)

4) The program is constantly acting buggy and causing errors and you've got to hire a sub contractor for support.

5) Not user friendly in the slightest, lacks a lot of shortcut keys and simple user ergonomics to make working with the program easier and more productive.

All in all Microsoft GP is an absolute complete POS accounting software, SAP is much much better if you just want to spend a lot of money, frustrate the hell out of your accountants and make everyone's life more difficult. Quickbooks on the other hand is a lot better, has features the big box programs only have wet dreams about, costs a lot less and is sold by a company that believes in their product so much that they actually provide their own support.

PS. I've used a lot of accounting programs, some less sophisticated and more sophisticated than GP and by far GP is the most frustrating, glitch ridden accounting software I've ever had to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save your money and your sanity. Find a good Quickbooks pro, buy the most expensive version you can, set it up and use it right from the beginning and you'll never have an issue.

This program has only caused us problems, countless of hours is lost productivity, and trying to find work arounds just to get the program to perform basic functions.

Accounts Payable Administrator

"Great system!"

What do you like best?

I liked this system because it made Accounts Payable Automation so much easier. I was able to process my monthly payments to my vendors in a timely manner and it always ensured my vendors got paid the correct amount.

What do you dislike?

I disliked how it used to be really slow at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a little tricky at first to learn how to navigate, but once you memorize the procedures it's very user friendly.

It definitely solved manual, tedious tasks that we used to deal with at work. The benefits I realized is that it effectively allows us to pay customers in an automated and quick way.

Controller

"Great Plains is pretty great!"

What do you like best?

Great Plains has helped our accounting office with the flow of our financial needs. From the payroll area to the purchasing area and in between, Great Plains offers us an efficient way to maintain our accounting needs.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to generate an excel spreadsheet of data directly from detail I am looking at within the program rather than go into a smartlist and try and put the information into an excel spreadsheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend.

Our accounting office is more efficient and we're better able to get needed information to other areas of our company in a timely manner.

"Not the most user friendly"

What do you like best?

Thankfully, I dont have to use GreatPlains very often and that is my favorite part.

What do you dislike?

I dislike most of everything. It's is not user friendly. You can't "delete" an item or a record as you can in most systems. It's interaction with other programs is flawed at best (and we don't even have it connected to other programs because its just causes issues).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I feel like this software is stuck in 1998. My company seems to do constant "upgrades' but nothing really changes. It is great for purchasing, but I think we could accomplish the same functions through other software that we already utilize.

We use it for purchasing and invoicing. It keeps our records well with multiple search functions to find old records.

Business Support Specialist, O&AE Operations
Hospital & Health Care

"Excellent Reporting Functions"

What do you like best?

It works seamlessly with all other office products & makes running reports a breeze! I can simultaneously run four different reports and compile those reports with thousands of results into one spreadsheet in minutes. This has helped my efficiency immensely.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint with Great Plains is it how laggy it can be. Depending on what I'm trying to do -- which reports I'm trying to pull, etc, it can take forever for certain things to load. I've noticed in the past 30-60 days or so that it's been a little better than normal, so I hope they're improving this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A little patience in the training period - there are so many options, it can be overwhelming at first.

I've had so many phone calls with vendors/clients where they've needed information we didn't expect them to need -- Great Plains has made their reporting functionality so easy, I can run these while on the phone with the client and have it in their inbox before the end of our call.

Account Manager-Sales/Marketing/Consulting

"Microsoft Dynamics GP and its solution to accounting."

What do you like best?

I like Microsoft Dynamics GP integrates our orders, returns, inventory and overall company operations into its software.

What do you dislike?

Since it is a Microsoft product, it mainly works with only other Microsoft software so making the switch also includes office 365 and other expenses. It is worth it but if you are working with other platforms, you have to make the switch.

Microsoft Dynamics GP rolls accounting to the next level with all the areas that it can cover when I comes to handling all my business needs, mainly inventory. That has been a huge asset to my own business workflow.

UA

"Microsoft Dynamics GP"

What do you like best?

The best feature in GP is smartlist especially if you need to gather larger amounts of data.

What do you dislike?

Reports run slowly, need add on in order to import bank info for cash recs, online version lacks features of desktop version, not user friendly, really should only be considered by a client w/ small volume.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are company w/ larger volume or multiple entities I would suggest looking elsewhere, for a smaller company this may be an appropriate tool.

GP is currently our accounting software and compared to PeopleSoft or even QuickBooks I’m not sure of any benefits.

Response from Microsoft Team of Dynamics GP

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass this on to the appropriate teams. Additionally, have you shared this on our Dynamics 365 Community Forum for further assistance? https://aka.ms/AA3tibc

UA

"Detailed and organized"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use when it comes to creating invoices and credits, keeping track of posted documents and batches. This is a tool and program I use daily all throughout the day with all different uses.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the inability to customize and control the look and feel of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend spending quality time learning the programs ins and outs. It can be a tool for all needs.

We are solving problems with invoices not being paid on time, having invoices made a created on time to send out to our customers/buyers, we are solving the issues of managing our inventory in our warehouse also.

"Dynamics GP for AP"

What do you like best?

Microsoft GP is good accounting system. As AP Supv. I use it daily. Set up and maintenance of vendors and customers is quick and easy. Currently we do not have the ability to scan documents into GP. Manual invoice entry can go quickly, especially with hard coded accounts.GP becomes intuitive with use. We have the Multi-Facility function and it we are able to use g/l natural codes across all the facilities. Smart Lists are a time saver, modifying an existing Smart List is easy.

What do you dislike?

It does take a while to get used to where you are, the screens are very similar. Granting user permissions are tricky, they are tied in groups. You can't choose a specific permission, all or nothing for the group. We do not use the inventory module. For us it is a waste, and functions are tied to it.

Aging reports don't transfer to Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

GP works best with warehouse, inventory or manufacturing. We don't use those features which are integrated to the accounting modules.

Issuing W9s for the tax year is tedious. GP has the ability to get them out quickly, even through Multi-Facility. About 2 years ago they updated to include printing the 1096 transmittal form - yay

Ease of drill down under Inquiries, lets you see invoices with payment and credit details.

"use it as customer relations management system"

What do you like best?

I like that it has the ability to locate duplication and you can create service appointments that connects to outlook. Several people can make an appointment and have you as the owner. This allows our front staff to check in students faster.

What do you dislike?

It's a sales system so words like "sales" or "customer's are not usually words we describe our documentation system. Event "marketing" sounds weird. It's a matter of getting use to the wording of the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it's customizable but it takes a while to build it to meet the any company's need.

We are using it to store our interactions with others. It's efficient enough to use it.

Controller
Machinery

"Software is good and much better than the one it replaced"

What do you like best?

The ease of handling multiple companies and multiple lines of businesses. Online help is very extensive and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The software has many reports upon posting which should be setup to auto archive rather than just discarded. Fixed asset portion of the Financial module is cumbersome and does not have reports such as "Current year additions and Disposals" which would be useful at year end.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure other programs are compatible with GP. Make sure you have a good 3rd party implementer to assist with the conversion.

Speed and accuracy of the financial data used in operations reporting and internal financial reporting. Having statistical accounts which can be displayed on the financial statements make correlating performance with KPI better and more understandable.

Contener Writer (Intern)
(Myself Only)

"Not User-Friendly"

What do you like best?

This system has a lot of options and is great for accounting and inventory.

What do you dislike?

I think that this system has over complicated some features. Making even the smallest of changes is difficult or if you make a mistake when entering information, it's not always a simple process to fix.

Our company uses this system as our CMS and for inventory and purchasing mostly.

(10,001+ employees)

"Corporate Office Use of Microsoft GP"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics GP is a well rounded software. It is very straight forward, with not a lot of background details needed to understand. GP is great for the corporate office that I work for. It allows every position in our office to understand the GL and how items flow through consolidation.

What do you dislike?

Some of the smartlist associated with Dynamics GP can be a little hard to manipulate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would take the time to do your research on Microsoft Dynamics GP to really understand all that it can do to help the user and company throughout the periods.

We use Dynamics GP for a corporate office. It allows us to easily track and understand our expenses and income throughout the month,

Financial Analyst II