Blackboard Learn Reviews & Product Details

Blackboard Learn Overview

What is Blackboard Learn?

Blackboard Learn is a scalable, reliable foundation for a world-class learning experience. Our flexible learning platform enables you to extend online learning, increase employee engagement and optimize learning outcomes. Create and preserve institutional knowledge, retain top employees and drive business results with a better, more engaging learning environment. Intuitive new features make it even easier for you to manage content, personalize courses, foster collaboration, and connect with learners. Deliver instructor-led training and virtual learning that will keep learners engaged anywhere, at any time. Personal, intuitive, always-on, and connected.

Blackboard Learn Details

Blackboard Learn is a scalable, reliable foundation for a world-class learning experience. Our flexible learning platform enables you to extend online learning, increase engagement and optimize learning outcomes.

Blackboard
Phone
800.424.9299
1997
Washington, D.C.
@Blackboard
2,910 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

Blackboard helps you solve your most critical challenges in corporate training and education to drive success. We are your partner in change—working alongside you to enable success for your organization with innovative technologies and services. We help businesses and associations provide today's diverse employees and learners with flexible professional development, training and online learning that they need to be successful—transforming organizational learning into a strategic advantage.

Blackboard Learn Screenshots

Blackboard Learn Reviews

Showing 741 Blackboard reviews
Already have Blackboard Learn?
Owner
UE
What do you like best?

There are many positive features of Bb like Gradebook and posting documents allowing easy student accessibility, but just recently, I have begun using a feature that has really enhanced student learning: journals.

In contrast to Discussion Boards which are public--and that students complain about, students actually enjoyed doing the journals where in my case, they commented on each chapter of the books they read. It was easy for me to reply and they loved getting all the feedback (privately). When it came time to grade the journal entries as a totality, I was able to review all of them in one place, easily and expeditiously.

Furthermore, with information communicated in this mode, it lent itself to a low stakes environment, where I did not feel compelled to correct their grammar (rather only conceptual errors). I also was surprised by the quality of the content and its variety. Students seemed to really enjoy having what was an informal , private dialog with me (their professor); many specifically mentioned how much they looked forward to my comments on what they said. It probably also helped that I didn't grade each individual entry, but only did so periodically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It makes me crazy that when I pull up Bb, I can't set the default to match the number of students in the class, but rather each time, I have to adjust the number of rows visible for entering grades.

I also don't like how sometimes the left side menu bar disappears, and then I have to move the cursor around to find the arrow to show the toggle it so that the menu bar is visible again. It's really frustrating and wastes time.

Finally, the formatting when I post documents is really crazy. The spacing that I see on screen is often very different from what it looks like when I press submit. So I often will post both the document so students can easily see it, AND post it as an attached document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Now that we have switched to having many hybrid courses, I love using the journal feature to give students frequent feedback. So it helps solve the problem of reduced in-person contact with students.

One of the benefits realized is that I feel like with the journals, I get to know students better, with conversational dialog, but based on course material. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Blackboard's easy integration with Zoom! Students had no problem easily navigating to the links for our meetings.

The Communication feature is so helpful for sending out announcements to the whole class! I cannot imagine teaching without this, in online, Zoom, OR in-person modalities.

Some people complain about the layout's not being intuitive, but I do think it is extremely easy to use! I also love the ability to weight grades by creating categories for different assignments--I tend to use "low-stakes" assignments that, combined, comprise 50% of the grade, with perhaps three "high-stakes" assignments comprising the other 50%. Setting this up right at the beginning of the semester is easy (though I always have to review Blackboard tutorials to remember how to do it--it's not intuitive to FIND, necessarily). It's also crucial to remember, then, to change assignment categories when they are created: if you are using the "low-stakes" and "high-stakes" categories, you have to be careful because a journal assignment will automatically be created as "Journal" while a SafeAssign post will always be called an "Assignment"--mathematically, this can wreak havoc on scores unless you are very mindful of changing the categories to correspond with what you've created at the beginning of the course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Groups feature is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I worked extensively with tutorials as well as my tech support team to implement this in Fall 2020 to no avail.

The home page is pretty lousy. It doesn't at all give students any kind of incentive to interact--I hear much better things about Blackboard's competitor, Canva, and wish my school would subscribe to it! I wish I could somehow copy journal and discussion board prompts from one class to another: it is so much extra work to edit these posts then copy/paste them into the current class.

I wish weekly folders came pre-populated--it makes sense for every single class and would truly take away a TON of student questions about organization if Blackboard had this kind of consistency in every department and every academic discipline across the College.

At the end of the semester, I suddenly could not create any announcements or posts--and then I realized that, for some reason, the "Edit" button was toggled to "off." This must have happened automatically when classes had ended, but since most instructors continue to use Blackboard's announcement feature to communicate with students during finals week, this could be confusing with a less experienced user. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Minimize the paper load; easier to grade assignments online! This has been crucial with remote learning! Students can "talk" to each other, do peer reviews/editing, and debate/discuss on the discussion boards. I use the journals for almost everything else, such as midterm self-evaluations, final grade proposals, and quick formative assessment. I do really appreciate the archiving of previous classes taught and the ability to easily copy assignments from one semester to the next! I feel very lucky that I had already familiarized myself with Blackboard and its features prior to the pandemic: my colleagues who never used it were truly scrambling to have a way to organize content and communicate with students, but mine had a fairly seamless adjustment! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate
What do you like best?

I like that I can easily access my courses and interact with my professors. It can receive feedback on my assignments and know what grades I have received instantly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were ways for students who have preferred names to show that on their account profile for the professor and other classmates to see. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I find it very convenient for my classes and easy to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Blackboard Learn to access course material. All my classes are online and this is the way my school has chosen to provide the curriculum. I can access lectures and lesson material, upload assignments, view my grades and assignment due dates, communicate with professors and classmates, and find helpful resources. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quality assurance
What do you like best?

I have used blackboard both as a student and as a grader and I love the ease and convenience it provides. As a student, I like how I can go through my lecture notes, assignments, exams, and grades all in one place. As a grader, it's convenient to just open the grading center and easily grade all the students. Overall, an excellent product in the field of education. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I didn't like about Blackboard was its not so impressive UI. It's sometimes not as responsive and interactive as I would like it to be. Also, from a grader perspective, it would be great if a few exam proctoring actions are added to this platform to improve the exam conducting capabilities of this application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can consider looking into blackboard learn but should also look into alternatives also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Blackboard learn provides all in one platform to the students for a course. Also, it's an excellent platform for instructors to host all the class materials. Other benefits all include integration with meeting hosting services such as zoom which makes taking a class online very simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is a valuable method for keeping up with the activities in class. This is a one-stop shop for assignments, seminars and contact with teachers and student colleagues. The layout of the course is simple and easy to use. I like how teachers can break classes and divide them with students into sub-categories. When assigning an option to a squad, no instructor has to attend any class separately. Both my reviews I like to see on the website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The design isn't really intuitive, you just need to know what the board is looking for. It becomes very confusing and causes training and assignment issues when not tagged. Without a guide, I don't understand how to use so many choices or services. I like whiteboards interactive solutions. You have a lot of bugs, and before you get used to them, it's tough. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Effective educational forum for many pupils. It is a little difficult to use, since the learning curve of the framework is very steep, but I would recommend that you do not care about using it, as it is complete. If you're new to it, take a Blackboard walk. Get the choices and easy walking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Blackboard has been instrumental in addressing students' logistical challenges and offering resources to keep on plan. It makes managing and enhancing communication with students and teachers simpler for students. The whiteboard helps you to attach Microsoft Outlook and any person can send an e-mail to a class sending an electronic mail. The notification system will give me a warning when teachers start something new relevant to their course, so I don't miss something. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
What do you like best?

The format of Blackboard is great. You can share screens. make others a moderator so they can share screens. You can put people into groups and set a timer for them to come back into the main group. you can also add assignments and grades in BlackBoard. Can not ask for a better system for instruction, group meetings, breakout sessions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not seen anything that I dislike about BlackBoard. It does many things that help instructors teach. I wish that our district would not set limits on what each instructor is allowed to do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great program for education and other business that want to communicate with others. In education is great for assigning lessons and teaching tool that helps with distance learning. I have been an instructor and a student on BlackBoard so I have seen first hand it works for both instructor and students. So if you want a program that does multiple things this program is for you. I like to how you can do so many things with the program. BlackBoard is keeping up with times! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is easy to upload assignments for the student to the teacher and vise versa. I did not realize how well BlackBoard works for all levels of instruction. Our school uses it for both teachers to student instruction and PD Professional development for teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teaching Assistant
What do you like best?

Course organization is simple, easy to navigate. No complexity involved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Instructors have a different view and often gets confusing on their end especially in controls what students should see and what not to. Gets a little mess, while creating questions for quizzes and assignments when not tagged. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When this software comes with school, login are the school email credentials. Always take a tour of bblearn if you’re new to it. Make yourself comfortable with navigating around and the options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Submitting assignments for all the courses that I’m taking online. It’s a breeze. Monitor and setting goals for the courses is a helpful too. Notification system alerts if anything new is posted related to course, so that I don’t miss anything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The structure of the course is clear, and easy to navigate. Involved in no difficulty. I like the way I can see what the students can see from your hand. I enjoy the ease of setting up tasks and organizing the Grade Centre. The class can be divided into sub-categories and bonded. No teacher needs to join each class individually when a team is assigned to pick an alternative. I like students having all their grades on the website as it's really easy to write the code. I like to know how to send e-mails directly from the app to the students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Instructors have a different perspective and are often confused on their part, particularly in regulating what should and should not be seen by students. When it's not labelled it gets a little messy generating problems for testing and assignments. I don't like whiteboard accessibility technologies and without a guide, I don't understand how to use too many choices or resources. You have a lot of mistakes and it is difficult to handle them until you get used to them. Blackboard can be designed to make navigation easier for learners. In the first week of school this is a major concern. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Successful educational forum that has a large number of students. Using it first is a little hard but don't be afraid to use it. Having said that, I would suggest adding this software as it is complete. Take a Blackboard tour, if you're new to it. Get comfortable walking around and the options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Send in assignments for all online courses that I take. It's a gale. It's also helpful to track and set goals for the courses. If something new relating to the course is released, the notification system alerts, so that I don't miss something. That is a very useful alternative for classes with a large number of students. It makes monitoring their degrees easier for students, and enhances contact between students and teachers. You can connect Microsoft Outlook to the whiteboard and each person can send an email by selecting to send an email to the class to send an entire class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Enables people to be understood. It offers a marvelous resource for students to exchange knowledge and class notes, whether in school or online. I like the structure of my classes at all times. All classes, syllabs, assignments, grades and other content posted by teachers can be viewed by the students. Tasks and comments can also be applied. At any time throughout the semester I like that students are able to monitor their performance and receive feedback on assignments and tests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I got no aversion. I have found Blackboard to be the best solution to meet students and teachers requirements compared to other learning management systems. It could, however, also cause important technical problems, such as web failure or application blockage. I believe that after they're done, your courses and your material disappear. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The LMS of choice would be highly recommended by me. It is a user-friendly platform both for professors and for students. It's a wonderful software, if you're in higher education or education. I recommend adding this system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can remain accessible to my students by using the BlackBoard and make continuous learning easier for my students at times. The LMS is slick and simple to create content and users. BlackBoard Ultra, one of its newer features, comes with enhanced features. I'm addressing the distance learning problem. The main advantage is the integration of asynchronous classrooms and other devices such as Panapto in the app. It enables the clear communication of student goals and goals as well as making the learning interactive. All my courses and contents should be published and coordinated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how I can see from your side what students will see. I appreciate how easy it is to set up tasks and coordinate the Grade Center. You can separate and bind the class into sub-categories. No teacher needs to enter each class individually when selecting an option for a team when a team is assigned. I like students seeing all their grades on the platform, as they write the code it's very easy. I like to know how to send e-mails directly to students from the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how difficult it is to navigate the problems, the accessibility of technology on blackboards, and I don't understand how to use too many options or tools without a tutorial. You have a lot of bugs, and before you get used to them it is difficult to manage them. Blackboard can be designed to make it easier for students to navigate. This is a major complaint in the first week of classes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great platform for institutions with a large number of students. It's a bit hard to use first, but don't be afraid to use it. This being said, I would suggest that this program be introduced as it's completed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I may teach additional students not attending a class otherwise. I love how socially anxious students interact and still feel comfortable with other people. Microsoft Outlook can be connected to the blackboard and each person can send an email by selecting to send an e-mail to the class to send a complete class. For classes with a large number of students, this is a very useful choice. It facilitates students tracking their degrees and improves communication between students and teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Special Education Teacher
What do you like best?

Blackboard can be a valuable tool for educators and students. There are a variety of platforms included in Blackboard Learn such as virtual classroom, custom content display, and unique set-up by teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While Blackboard Learn has a lot of great features like copying previous classes to current academic years, it is very complicated to understand how to use the features and many of the tutorials supplied by Blackboard are not user friendly. Blackboard needs to be compatible with other educational platforms like Google Suites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hosting virtual classes can be successful but initial implementation requires debugging and a lot of trial and error. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been able to reuse class content from previous school years and share material with colleagues. With the COVID-19 closure, we were able to host virtual classes and office hours with students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Blackboard made it easier for people to understand. Whether it is in the classroom or online, it offers a wonderful resource that helps students to exchange knowledge and class notes. I like how my classes are structured throughout. All classes and programs, tasks, grades and other content published by professors can be viewed by students. They are also able to apply tasks and comment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It may also cause significant technical difficulties, such as not working the web properly or crashing the application. I think their courses and material will vanish once they have finished. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are in higher education or educational businesses, it's a wonderful software. I propose that this framework be introduced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I tackle the problem of remote learning. The key benefit is asynchronous classrooms and other devices like Panapto are built into the app. In addition to making learning interactive, it enables clear communication of student objectives and objectives. I should have a place to publish and coordinate all my courses and their contents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Blackboard is an ideal Learning Management System (LMS) that meets all of my academic needs. Some of the features that I enjoy most are, the ability to store

a reasonable amount content (i.e. Powerpoint lectures, assignments, files, videos). Through the use of Blackboard i am also able to create an inviting virtual space to enhance student engagement via the Discussion Board tool. I often use the discussion feature to introduce relevant course content that may also be controversial. I have found that this is the best way to engage students.

Additionally, it is a useful LMS for the facilitation of assessments (e.g. tests and quizzes) and it integrates seamlessly with third party content providers (e.g Cengage, Pearson).

Students have shared that they like that they are able to monitor their performance at anytime during the semester and they are able to receive feedback on assignments and quizzes immediately. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any dislikes. Compared with other learning management systems I have found Blackboard to be the best in meeting both student and professor needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend Blackboard as the LMS of choice. It is an easy to use platform enjoyed by both faculty and students alike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Through the use of Blackboard I am able to remain accessible to students and facilitate continual learning at times that are most convenient for my learners. The LMS has a sleek design and is easy for content creators and users alike. One of its newest features, BlackBoard Ultra, comes with enhanced features. The one that I enjoy the most is Collaborate because it allows for a virtual meeting space within the Blackboard environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

You may split the class into sub-categories (teams) and bind them. When there is a team assignment, no teacher needs to enter all classes individually by selecting an option for a team. I like all of my grades at one point and it's very easy once I get the code down. I also like how you can directly send emails from the app to teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You have many bugs and you will find it hard to manage before you get used to them. Blackboard can be streamlined so that students can navigate more quickly. In the first week of classes, that's a major complaint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great platform with a large number of students for institutions. Firstly, it's a little difficult to use but don't be afraid to use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There is a possibility to link Microsoft Outlook to Blackboard and to send each individual an e-mail by selecting send to the class to send a complete class an e-mail. This is a very useful choice for classes with large numbers of students. It makes it easier for students to keep track of their grades, it also improves student-teacher communication. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They contact me sometimes and I know that BlackBoard is closed for some time ( usually a couple of hours overnight) so that they can update them. As a consequence, BlackBoard has never been ineffective and can still be used. For my entire college career I used BlackBoard and it was never a problem. The best aspect of Blackboard has to be to quickly fulfill the mission, to know that it is delivered and to be able to use resources such as SafeLearn, which can see how well the work blends in with another person's work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I guess the only thing that I don't like about Blackboard is that you can't change it too much. I'm on the internet for several hours most days and I want my backdrop to be more than just a few bland colors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want more tools to encourage students to achieve the best possible outcome, Blackboard is an choice. Please contact the support team if you have any problems with BlackBoard. They are highly effective and supportive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I complete my online classes via BlackBoard. I'll do my talk posts, my quizzes, my grades, I'm able to directly mail my teacher from BlackBoard and much more. BlackBoard advantage is that everyone is in one spot. It is certainly user-friendly, since Blackboard makes it fairly easy to check your grades and contact teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The students grades can be monitored and their grades can be seen online. You can also import directly from the blackboard a list of student emails or contact students. For uploading content, it's also quite easy. Saving time and easy to access is a great way. You can engage very easily with your students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Functionality organization is not intuitive. Even fundamental tasks often involve multiple clicks and page updates. The loading and navigation takes a long time. Sometimes it may be slow, and when you register a student, it may take time, and student messages may be delayed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A good tool for classmates and teachers, certainly. It is easy to implement, it is innovative, and very interactive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The listing of courses and qualifications is a simple method. It permits instructors to keep a website with the course materials that have been written. As they are published, students can view and track their degrees in real time. I can allow many people to take part in my workshops and it allows others to see if they can also attend the workshops. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Biology lab assistant
What do you like best?

The organization of blackboard is great. Both teachers and students do well with the ease of use and organization of blackboard. It is great how blackboard contains everything. You can upload videos, pictures, messages, have discussions, and so on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is no google drive feature that would potentially allow for multiple people to collaborate on a document. It can also break down sometimes which can be frustrating. It doesn't let you upload videos frequently due to a cut off on file size. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is good for uploading assignments, having timed tests, and recording live videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Moving class from in-person to online in an effective way. It helps people world from all around the world remotely. It is a good resource for students and educators. The benefits are so vast in helping students to learn online with different tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

While exploring Blackboard Learn there is a complete guide. The basic and very helpful research to check off is very easy to use and teach. Saving time and easy access is a great way to save. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like it when they do some updates on the platform because it's happened that things change places and it takes a while to adapt again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great benefits for students and teachers I recommend its implementation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can access all my resources and tasks, which I might want to accomplish all day long. Enable some people to enter my sessions and encourage others to see if they do want to enter the sessions. This is so people will review me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is one place where you can do everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not dislike but it could have better UI. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There are times when you have to google to figure out how to add let's say an extra credit column. The design could be more intuitive so you don't need to go through an entire Help article to figure it out. Also, many times when you try to send an email, after you've hit 'send', it says 'no valid recipients' when there was an entire class. This has you type the email all over again unless you had it saved elsewhere. It hangs and goes to the previous session or to the entire master course when you're just grading one class. That's an issue too. There are a lot of benefits: you can check for plagiarism, post & schedule assignments and announcements, create quizzes, grade, calculate overall grades, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

English Second Language Teacher
What do you like best?

Streamlines education, especially during a time when nearly every university is operating virtually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Could be a fluke on my end, but I find the program glitches often and doesn’t display tasks/information correctly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Eases the stress of online university, for both professor and student. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructor
What do you like best?

I like how I can preview what students will see on their side. I love how easy it is to create assignments and ability to organize the grade center. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how it is difficult to navigate issues, technology accessibility concerns on blackboard meeting, and having too many options or tools that I don't understand how to use without a tutorial. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to teach more students who would otherwise not attend class. I do love how students with social anxiety can interact with others and still feel comfortable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP