Panopto Reviews & Product Details

Panopto Overview

What is Panopto?

Panopto is the fastest-growing video platform for training, teaching, and presenting. Since 2007, we’ve helped businesses and universities improve employee productivity and student achievement through the use of video. Fortune 1000 companies and leading academic institutions, including GE, Qualcomm, New York Life, Duke, Stanford, and Oxford, use Panopto to capture training videos and lectures, live stream events, and share their videos with a secure, searchable, YouTube-like portal. For 3 years running, Panopto has been recognized by Gartner as a leader in enterprise video content management.

Panopto Details

All-in-one video capture and management software. Record presentations & lectures, webcast events, and build an organizational YouTube - all from your laptop.

Panopto

Panopto Reviews

Showing 75 Panopto reviews
Already have Panopto?
Graduate Assistant to Director of Recruitment and Admissions
What do you like best?

Currently, I teach introductory level college courses. So when our university went remote for the semester, I needed something to help me record my lectures. Panopto has allowed me to do that. Personally, I find the program rather easy to use. I have it downloaded onto my desktop, so when I am ready to record my lectures all I have to do is open the program. I also appreciate the ability to edit your content in the program, and that you don't have to export your recordings to a seperate application. This makes it easy for me to provide my students with a recorded lecture (since we are not meeting face to face). Panopto also allows you to outline your lectures students can easily navigate the content. So far, I've heard good feedback from them as well! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The editor is a little clunky in my opinion, where it can be sometimes difficult to cut or trim your video. That being said, I just give myself a little extra time before a start my lecture and after I end it (to make cropping the video easier). Other than that, the only problem I've run into is thinking I've hit record when I have not. That is rather frustrating, but I would not put that error on Panopto. Just be sure to double check you hit record before you start speaking! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto has allowed me to provide my students with lectures which is more interactive. Since COVID-19, it's been hard to interact with students the way you would in a classroom, especially while teaching remotely. Not all students can login to class synchronously, given that everyone lives in different timezones and areas. So this software lets me record my lectures to make them more accessible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Teaching Assistant
What do you like best?

Panopto is a very simple but functionally great software for recording Live streams. It gives seamless integration with any Learning Management system or Classroom Management System, thus making it very easy to integrate without any hassle.

I really like the mode where we can switch between slides/video. This is ideal when at times you want to concentrate on the slides being displayed while other times you want to focus on the recording.

Also, we can quickly access the portion of the video by choosing the slide, that comes handy when you want to refer back.

The best part is text search in an uploaded session, It's a quick search engine to lookup any word mentioned in a whole session! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would have liked a slightly better interface. The UI looks very basic. It seems ideal only when integrated with a Learning management system that is currently being used at an organization. I would expect the platform to come up with a feed or an interface to browse public videos, create playlists, and make a portfolio of what you have been watching.

I would also prefer support for multiple screencast so that the video can be viewed on one screen while viewing the related material on the other. It would be great if we can annotate on a personal copy of uploaded course material/ Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Panopto is a great tool not only to share Live stream, but also to organise a whole lecture with supporting class materials. Panopto is really helpful while preparing for tests or while completing assignments as we can quickly search through the automatic transcriptions or the content in slides. Although the UI looks slightly unappealing, functionally Panopto is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto has been a real lifesaver for organising a live stream of class lecture for future use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Panopto
Medical Student
Associate Professor Of Mathematics
What do you like best?

I love being able to use multiple video cameras and also share my screen. This gives me a lot of options to generate quiz questions, and I then I can integrate quizzes into my university's LMS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Editing short portions of videos out (mistakes) is not intuitive to me in the editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's great for getting videos delivered to students. Give it a try so students can go back and "not miss anything" that day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto allows me to prerecord lecture snippets and demonstrate routines on the white board as well as the computer. I don't have to wonder if students heard me when I said something, because they can just go back and watch it again. It also allows me to "take attendance" by integrating simple quizzes, so students can show me they actually watched the video. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Students can watch videos multiple times and take notes within the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Many panopto features are available within zoom, but I feel zoom is more user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using the notes feature to your advantage to take notes at specific times in a video. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With the corona virus, classes could not meet face to face. Panopto allowed users to obtain lectures and watch them at the speed they wished. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Panopto provides great features for sharing and controlling access to video content. I can produce a video and have very tight control over who can view it and what they can do with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Videos must currently be uploaded via the Web portal. Being able to perform this action from the desktop client would be nice since we've mass deployed it within our environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto allows our organization to effectively reach our students and provide access to lecture recordings and other curriculum materials remotely. It has allowed us to become a virtual organization and continue our learning objectives while navigating a global pandemic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Educational Developer
Higher Education
What do you like best?

- Easy to use and intuitive to find your way around

- Software based to its available for staff to use on many devices and students to access content online

- Flexible to suit the needs of users so that can be recording large lectures or multiple short student uploads Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Captions are always a problem for us we would like to caption all our videos and currently the automatic captioning is not very good. You can send away for captions but there is a high cost if we want lots of content captioned. We would like integration with our VLE gradebook to allow seamless submission and grading for students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto is great for one to many delivery for lectures as well as short video introductions, assignment briefs and other information for students. It is less appropriate as a conferencing tool which many of our staff are looking for so that students can interact live with the presenter. Students can ask questions but it is hard to manage this if you are live streaming and presenting information. Panopto is available to use by the whole organisation and there are more and more staff who are taking up the opportunity to use it for recording lectures and short videos for students. We often have quite dispersed student groups over different campuses and out most watched videos are often of assignment information and difficult teaching concepts that they need to come back to for clarity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager, Customer Experience
What do you like best?

Panopto Allows faculty to record from and easily combine different video and audio sources. Rendering, editing is simple and storage is plentiful. Panopto being a cloud service uptime is important and when they do have maintenance windows they give advance notice and communicate effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have been Panopto customers for over 5 years and in that time there have been very few issues. There is not much I dislike about it at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is an area of tech that can get really complex. For us techies that is fine but remember who the daily users are. The Panopto product is easy to use for both the teachers and the students.. does not require any special configurations or set ups. It also has many flexible features to edit and fine tune the resulting recordings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use panopto for two main purposes. One, as a lecture recording platform that is used for asynchronous online programs. Second to Webcast and record workshops to include remote audiences in live, synchronous sessions with some local participants and multiple remotes users joining in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

I personally use Panopto for creating screen captures in video, such as to demonstrate an issue or behavior for a vendor or quick tutorial for a client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn’t say I dislike anything about Panopto. There are a couple quirks that are annoying. As an example, from support perspective, permissions for non-administrator roles occasionally change during updates and suddenly our users can’t do something they used to be able to do. This is not unique to Panopto though. Also, I don’t really need a microphone or webcam to make my screen capture videos so I don’t have them hooked up. Because of this, the Panopto recorder app always throws up a warning about 30 seconds into my recording and I have to select “ignore” to make it go away and allow me to proceed. Then I have to edit the recording to cut that part out of my screen capture. There should be a way to configure the app to avoid that message but I haven’t found it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto allows our faculty to record lectures in class so students can review later or catch up if absent from lecture. It also allows online instructors to record lectures or messages for students to watch asynchronously from home and still get “face time” with their instructor. It can be used to create training courses for employees. Record meetings. Existing video files can be uploaded to Panopto and then embedded into our secured LMS to ensure restricted access. Right now we are in the process of offloading and retiring our Flash media server, so we’re assisting FMS content owners with migration to Panopto as a replacement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nursing Assistant
Education Management
What do you like best?

You can take notes at certain points of the video lecture as each part has their own section (based on the creator of the video). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it does not like going into full screen mode and will only be stuck in window mode. I am not sure if that is because of the note taking system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure the microphone is working properly when recording. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Watching lectures and being able to control them in terms of pausing, rewinding, slowing down to understand concepts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Manager
Consumer Services
What do you like best?

the Customer Support is amazing. They attend to every detail and always make sure a positive resolution results from any contact with them. I mention it just because excellent customer support doesn't seem to be the norm these days, and Panopto is the best.

The functionality is probably the most obvious advantage that this software has over others; they continuously integrate their customer feedback into their updates. I have seen other similar software offerings "rest on their laurels" once they gained some momentum, but Panopto is always working to stay on the leading edge while offering an incredibly stable platform.! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

everything is great, the only thing i would add is a couple of features in the editor.! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it enables to create and upload any type of content, post comments for videos, record sessions with multiple simultaneous cameras, multiple video sharing levels, access controls, etc.!

I highly recommend it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creating a video with the Panopto software is straight forward, we also have the option to upload a video file to the service. Watching a video is even easier, because all that is needed is an up-to-date web browser. No extra plugins or downloads are needed.! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Includes speed controls and outlines of videos to allow for easy navigation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can be slow when there is a lot of traffic

If connection drops, you need to refresh the page Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Allows me to view lectures/meetings remotely Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Offers a system to record lectures and use if backup needed Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat complex, requires reqular use to get comfortable with Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Evaluate other tools although Panopto may be great for your company Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Back up lectures, if weather or other issues Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Diversity & Engagement Coordinator
Public Relations and Communications
What do you like best?

That the class is able to record our speeches and upload to Panopto for reviewing to be able to write our critical reflections. The best is being able to sign in with our schools Canvas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is less personal, any teacher or Everett Community College worker that uses Panopto and uploads videos, any user is able to see. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Created ways for personal growth in the area of public speaking Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Panopto has been reliable for our institution and they continue to add new features. The addition of automatic captions for our videos has increased accessibility of our video content. Sharing and creating videos is very easy. We also really enjoy that we can create videos using Zoom or other video creation and upload the media easily. Table of contents to create jump points in the video is nice as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The integration process with our LMS is a little bit wonky. Some of our role types cause the system to time out. However, it works just fine for students and instructors. It is just difficult for other role types to use it. The Panopto recorder software could use a performance and visual boost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider upgrading your support package to get more end-user support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it for lecture capture for our online courses. Having the videos hosted in our Panopto cloud has been a big advantage over having instructors throw videos on YouTube. This is more secure and gives us the ability to have a consistent content experience for the students and instructors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Educational Technologist
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Excellent user experience and support. Colleagues I introduce to the system are very pleased to discover how easy it is to create their own content with Panopto's personal capture tools. Panopto is integrated into our VLE, and used thoughout our institution. The learning resource it provides and enhancement to our student's experience is invaluable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't any any serious dislikes using the desktop software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's used for educational purposes and the ability to review and study material is the benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

It does not take a lot of time to create a presentation and the format is pretty intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can not think of anything significant that was wrong with the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Providing a digital presentation experience to remote workers as if they are sitting in a conference room. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Panopto provides reliable, high-quality recordings of my med school lectures that allow me to get an in-class experience without actually having to be in class. You can also speed up or slow down the audiovisual feed without loss of quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You can only see one camera view on the big screen at the time; as far as I know there's no way to split the screen between the lecture projection and the video feed showing the professor/whiteboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be afraid to use it! My grades have actually improved once I stopped attending lecture and started using Panopto instead. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using Panopto allows me to be more efficient with my time since I can watch lectures at double speed in half the time it would have taken in person. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

Subtitle orders are fast and efficient and allow for .srt uploads. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Caption editing is slow and inefficient. Transcription lags when there are many edits made to the video or if the video is longer. Transcription is presumptuous in its usability regarding mass edits, timing, play/pause function, and automatic scroll; these tend to cause more trouble for caption editing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Streamlined video collaboration and enhanced accessibility features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UB
What do you like best?

For the most part, it is easy to usu and provides a valuable service Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

online use can be glitchy and frustrating, particularly in viewing recorded content. This is frustrating since this is a core element of the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

most aspects of the software are easy and intuitive, but some performance issues are unfortunate. When viewing content on OSX it frequently will skip and get stuck in parts of the video. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto allows us to record lectures and allow students to access them online Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Assistant
What do you like best?

The process for editing is intuitive and quick, from splicing to big edits Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The formatting of folder pages is not very attractive Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recording class lectures has been easy with panopto and editing these lectures for later use, very efficient Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ELearning Advisor
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Being able to record, edit and share easily ... from anywhere and for everyone Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost of captioning makes full accessibility prohibitively expensive - not a panopto issue, but an industry one Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helping to engage students in learning, widening participation by increasing flexible learning opportunities Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how you can control the speed of the recorded lecture you're watching. It lets you customize how you learn by choosing the pace at which you learn and having the opportunity to go back to review important parts of lecture. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The sound is way too low and it can be difficult to hear the videos/ Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I definitely recommend using Panopto! It improves the quality learning and teaching and significantly improves access. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Panopto provides access to education for students anywhere. You can learn from the comfort of your own home. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

can store lots of video footage without issue Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to find footage when you need it. I would love to have a feature that auto transcribes the footage for easier access. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows us to store lots of video and share it with colleagues Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Designer
Higher Education
What do you like best?

The thing I love about Panopto is the quizzing feature, which allows you to insert quiz questions throughout a lecture. I have a lot of faculty members who use this feature to check students' comprehension along the way as they are watching videos. Also, I love all of the data that you are able to collect via Panopto. We have always struggled to determine how engaged our students are in video content, and the data that Panopto provides allows us to see when students tend to drop off in videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The main issue I have with Panopto is managing the permissions for user-created videos. When we create these at my job, our plan is to use them from term to term; however, this presents a sharing problem, as each semester (and in each section) we have to manually go in and adjust the permissions so new students can view them. Perhaps this is an issue due to the integration with Canvas, but I imagine that there are a lot of other users out there using it that way, and this is a troublesome issue that results in lots of lost time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Panopto has some really great features that can make your educational video content truly engaging. You can embed PDFs, websites, and even Youtube videos in your recordings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We used to spend a lot of time and money bringing instructors into our studio space, but the costs associated with that, and the time investment, just became too much. With Panopto, our instructors can create videos in the comfort of their own homes, and they don't have to waste valuable time traveling to our studio. Also, many instructors were a bit camera shy when they were actually in the studio, and this resulted in a lot of takes. With Panopto, it's easy to edit out mistakes, and instructors seem to feel a lot more comfortable recording. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Panopto?