MindTap Reviews & Product Details

MindTap Overview

What is MindTap?

No more searching for highlighers and notebooks. MindTap Reader lets you highlight and take notes online, right within the pages.

MindTap Details

MindTap Screenshots

MindTap Reviews

Showing 24 MindTap reviews
Already have MindTap?
What do you like best?

There is nothing good about MindTap. Maybe it makes it easier for professors to grade, but it's super unfair. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are so many windows you have to open for activities. I have to use this system fro French class, and there are many activities that are worth many points and only allow for ONE ATTEMPT! And you have to fill out entire sentences with French phrases, and put in all the correct accents and spell everything right. And if you misspell one word or letter, it COUNTS THE WHOLE THING WRONG! It's unfair to students who struggle in French like me, but who work insanely hard, JUST TO GET A BAD GRADE! I hate this website so much and I will never use this when I become a music professor because I will want all my students to succeed, not fail. I hate professors who weed out students like this. And unfortunately, my French teacher does not understand that this website is ruining my wonderful work and making it all be for nothing. I HATE MINDTAP WITH A PASSION! IT GRADES UNFAIRLY AND COUNTS THE WHOLE ANSWER WRONG IF YOU MISSPELL JUST ONE LETTER! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not use MindTap, professors, please. Your students will be ticked Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There are no problems I can solve with MindTap. It's the worst website I've ever been on. It's even worse than Pearson mylabandmastering and skeptical science (a website of fraud). There are no benefits to students. Professors can maybe save time with this crap, but it frustrates all the students. I'm certain there are better websites that don't count spelling against you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Mindtap's only redeeming feature is that it contains knowledge; the program that acts as a vessel for it is a roadblock in the way of accessing it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Mindtap forces you to take breaks when completing Mastery Activities, and punishes you by forcing you to spend more time on the material for the same amount of points if you choose to continue. Its rationale for this feature is based in the idea that breaks between periods of study lead to better recall of the information in question. That's great and all, but to people like me who have to work on my days off and have a very limited amount of time to study between sleeping and eating, it's an insult and waste of time. Additionally, the program hides the question it gives you multiple choice answers for during quizzing (a mild inconvenience in earnest), and punishes you for wrong answers with loss of points despite said quizzes being practice. The interface when short answer questions paired with videos cuts off a lot of your text while you're typing, and it's a pain to review your work, too. As for the content of the curriculum (I'm using Cengage for Childhood Developmental Psychology) the test questions do not adequately reflect the most important information from each chapter of the book, but instead ask for useless statistics and facts that are significantly less crucial than technical knowledge of the brain, etc. For example, in Chapter 3, one of the test questions was on the precise percentage of babies who are infected with HIV when born to an infected mother rather than on the critical periods of development, teratogen vulnerability changes in each trimester, and related. The reflect and relate activities are also a waste of time. They don't ask meaningful questions. They're just prompts for personal experiences with the material and reinforce nothing. I can't remember what parts of the embryo develop into what any better because this software asked me if I know someone who experiences pregnancy symptoms for points. Some videos incorporated into the activities are very redundant and time-wasting as well. For instance, during an investigate-development activity there were three several-minute videos to watch (which could or couldn't contain vital information, but there was no way for me to know that without sacrificing time to them or reading the transcript) which basically just told me to click buttons I could've found in two seconds by myself to progress the assignment. I also feel that Mindtap is overpriced for what it is; you pay around 90$ and only get access to whatever ebooks you buy and Mindtap itself for 6 months, and the layout of Cengage in general is designed to trick college students who haven't navigated sites like it before into paying more money for their "unlimited" shenanigan, which is very much time-limited and way more than what one would need to learn what is necessary for their course. Buy a textbook you can keep for life if you can help it. I strongly recommend that professors not use this resource for their class in the interest of their students' (and probably institution's) time and money. Mindtap feels like the academic equivalent of sitting in traffic, at least for this subject. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Inquizitive is better, does not force you to take breaks, organizes the material well, and gives less punishment for mistakes during practice. Don't buy from Cengage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A learning program like this (involving text, review, and quizzing) guarantees that at least you see the material so long as it is designed to display it, but I think this one in particular has several features about it that make the information I need to pass this class less accessible than it should be, especially considering the cost and time limitations on how long I have access to this material. I am still able to take notes from this software and learn key terms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder
What do you like best?

MindTap seems to try to integrate quizzes and study guide capabilities to make it as useful as possible for students in learning and memorizing the content of the coursework. It allows a full pdf ebook to be integrated and broken into sections to correlate with the course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The coursework is so broken up, and uses so many separate windows to click in and out of that it breaks concentration, which is honestly why I am writing this review after a few days of working with the system. The creators seem to be ignoring the research shown from web traffic that breaking from your current window loses attention immediately. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am attempting to use it for a course I am currently enrolled in, but using MindTap is like pulling teeth. I will try to expedite the course just to be done with this interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

QA Analyst
What do you like best?

The idea of this tool, don't really know what are the other pross I'm very disappointed with that tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's really hard to submit programming assignments, even if they are 100% correct this tool won't let you.

I spent hours trying to figure out what's wrong with my code and then showed it to my teacher and it's all was right...

I feel like I hate a class I'm taking because of MindTap ...

I could spend so many hours improving my skills instead of fixing errors that don't exist.

Try to AVOID using it, especially if you work full time and have other things to do during a day, there are tons of free and much cheaper resources.

For MindTap owners:

I work as a QA analyst, can give you my company contacts if you need to hire someone to test your app.

And better do it next time before you released and charged people.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't use it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

read my comment above, no benefits, I wasted A LOT of my time using this tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Cengage provides activities from the text that are easy to use for the student and graded automatically for the instructor. The program works well with the LMS and grades are easier transferred. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to add a timed featured to the program that is currently not available (or not easy to find if it is available) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Mindtap to other instructors. It is easy to easy, has all the necessary activities and quizzes to assist in assessing students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to assess student's learning with the activities and exams that are provided in Cengage. I am able to assign students work that they are able to access an complete. The program is easy to use. Grades are transferrable to the LMS and I can also run reports within Cengage.

The program also works well because feedback is automatic and it is easier for me so I do not have to grade and provide feedback on incorrect answers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that in Cengage, Mindtap, we are more engaged and more motivated to finish our assignments. We have everything we need to learn and study the material. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is kind of cluttered and unorganized when using it. It's also hard to put up different things into different tabs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving problems like making assignments easy to submit and the assignments that are due, easy to view. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

You can highlight the book on Mindtap... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The questions are written really vaguely, and clearly aren't proof read as there are many spelling errors/grammatical errors/missing words that make answering questions difficult. There are also often glitches that make accessing and reviewing grades difficult. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The role play responses are helpful when reviewing your own style Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It makes grading easy, since it grades assignments and exams automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not well integrated with Aplia, the publishers previous app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefits-- it saves me time grading. Assignments are graded automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

You can integrate your course.create online evaluations and provide instructions and in built the assessments for students Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It still has lot of things which it misses out on like differentiated lesson plans, individual assessments Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great educational platform Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Structured Course teaching Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Nothing. Users are forced to deviate from instructions in order to achieve their expected output. There are no guarantees that a user can successfully complete all assignments without issues Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

EVERYTHING. Instructions contradicted expected code, Site would update and changed to a completely different format while working during the day, and the curriculum setup is not optimized for success. Would not recommend for beginners, and even our experienced programmers had issues. Had to move code to an IDE to fully complete exercises and submitted externally. This was NOT production ready when implemented. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Choose something else, or use an IDE. The interactive exercises and powerpoint like textbook is bad business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NONE. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

MindTap is web-based so I can access it from anywhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I cannot get immediate feedback regarding the questions I've answered - I have to wait until a specific due date to receive the feedback. Reading full books is ridiculous - the searchability function either went away with a recent update or is difficult to find and MindTap doesn't save my place - each time I log in, I have to search through the chapters again to find the page I left off. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's a training/development tool that allows the trainer to assign reading and quizzes, but there are simpler, more economical tools out there that do more than MindTap does. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Policy Issuance
Media Production
What do you like best?

I like that we can have a "notebook" and additional learning tools to help better understand the learning materials. I was by no means an economics genius and struggled in my first econ course, but MindTap helped me learn so I didn't struggle with it the second time around. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit pricey for a student budget. There's also a bit of a learning curve when first starting to use the program. Thankfully, there was a learning tutorial at the start for those unfamiliar with the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will help with retention of key skill sets, thus leading to better management in corporations worldwide. It has helped improve our educational program greatly and we pride ourselves on our students' accomplishments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has helped streamline educational goals in order to create more value to the MBA degree by preparing students with more than adequate skills and abilities in a variety of business subjects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I think MindTap works efficiently for it's intended purpose. The software is clear and user-friendly. I like how I have the ability to be very interactive with the software which aids in the learning process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the idea that you must wait a specific number of hours before progressing through the content. While this may be a useful feature for some individuals, it is bothersome if you have already mastered the content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I utilize MindTap for distance learning courses. MindTap allows me to interact with my online text and provides a plethora of resources relevant to learning. I also the professor to track a students progress and intervein when necessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

e-Learning Coordinator
Higher Education
What do you like best?

MindTap is one of those rare publisher tools that offers a complete package: e-textbook, interactive exercises, customizable quizzes, content supported by universal design and accessibility principles, note-taking and study tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As with most publisher tools, when you want to integrate it into your learning management system, it requires students to access a separate platform and create a separate account. This can be synchronized to your LMS, but it can't be branded with the institution's logo or colors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you plan on using MindTap with your LMS, ask for training from a technical integration specialist. Be proactive when you know your LMS will be upgraded and involve the vendor as early as possible to ensure the tool is functional. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can quickly incorporate specialized curriculum, content, and assessments into our courses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Course Diversity,

Engaging Content,

Challenging Tasks,

Mobile application,

Interactive E Books Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Security In Mobile app,

Undermine yhe writing skills Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using it for learing new Technologies and practicing tasks related to my work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administrative Assistant
Individual & Family Services
What do you like best?

What I like best is that I can get to it right from my school website and it takes me where I need to be automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm not on it enough to say what I dislike about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's very useful for those on the go days when you don't physically have a book, just log into your MindTap account and you're good to go! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems I a, solving with MindTap is I don't have to carry a book with me to class all the time, I can just take my tablet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Really easy to access course materials from multiple devices and makes it easy to travel and learn Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the app would glitch out, or wouldn’t let me into my course materials Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Not having to travel with large textbooks Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Pathbrite allows users to creatively share their own stories. The layouts can display the ongoing growth and change of users and showcases their impressive abilities.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the layouts and themes are difficult to choose from in terms of what users are presenting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm not solving a problem, instead, I am more or less connecting with the norms of our technical society by displaying presentations using personal portfolios. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

Quite easy and user friendly and lot of Knowles gaining materials Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The need to change the topics every time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Employee learning is the benefit Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best feature for a teacher is the access to exams and its somewhat seamless integration into CANVAS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The most disliked feature is that the exercises are out of date; broken links, software inaccuracies, etc. This means that the instructors have to verify every minute detail. If we need to do that, then we need to write it and get paid. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It should streamline the teaching process by giving students access to intuitive software. It has potential, but work needs to be done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

High School Biology Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

It was nice to have an app to go along with the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program was CONSTANTLY lagging and I could not access exams or many of the review activities from the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This software is slow, but hopefully it will be fine tuned by the time more people use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It’s nice to be able to utilize practice activities at home and school. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

US
What do you like best?

Mindtap is a great education product to help students learn and completr assignments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the srrver is down or goes under maintenance at inconvenient times. It doesn't work grrat with all browsers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's easy to use and navogate. Some students have issues having subject buttons showing up which we found from browser issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Educational Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love using this program to supplement the textbook or in lieu of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like the added expense to students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A transition to more online and electronic learning styles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I cover the chapter during class. Then, the students can access "review" materials at any time of the day or night. The material is supplemented with videos and review tools. The students take their assessments on MindTap. Then, we have more time in class to work on projects and activities. The material is helpful also when a student has to be gone from class due to illness or extra curricular involvement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The materials are affordable, but some students will always complain about the cost. You can get a printed version of the text for students who do better with a physical text, but that option adds to the cost. We are always concerned with academic honesty with any assessment tool. I can't prove that the student actually took the test. Nor can I prevent them from cheating. As the test is "open book" I hope that they will be less likely to do so. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would try the test-drive the product as it might be somewhat subject specific. In my experience there were more tools associated with one of the subjects I teach versus another subject. By looking over a demo site I was able to determine that this subject had a sufficient depth and rigor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I want to have more time to teach. MindTap gives me more time. I want my students to get the material from another source (than just listening to a lecture). This tool gives them some interaction and games. Our students do well with material that limits monotony. MindTap is very helpful in providing a variety of tools for assessment that keep students engaged. They come to class with a better understanding of the material than they once did. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for MindTap?