ALEKS Reviews & Product Details

What is ALEKS?

Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course.

ALEKS Screenshots

ALEKS Reviews

1-21 of 21 total ALEKS reviews
Instructor of mathematics

"ALEKS is amazing"

What do you like best?

It's the only adaptive learning software that I feel really lives up to the description adaptive. I choose which topics I want my course to cover, and then ALEKS has students take an initial assessment to see what they already know and walks them through understanding the topics they don't know. Periodically, it re-assesses them to make sure that they remember what they have learned and to check for extra, unexpected learning. As the students practice each topic, they have to answer a series of closely related questions, and these questions are more different than merely the same problem with different numbers. For the most part, additional homework assignments and quizzes are superfluous. ALEKS also has a variety of reports for me to see which students have been working on what.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the due dates for modules can only be set for 11:59pm. The due dates on quizzes, homeworks, etc can be set to be due at any time, but I can't can only specify a day for the learning modules. The reports are hard to navigate at first because there are so many, and they're not always intuitively labeled.

The thing I like the least is that there is no way for me to program in additional questions directly. There is a way to add external grades to the gradebook, but I can't add any questions directly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask the McGraw-Hill folks to set up a training for your instructors well before you bring students in. It does take some time to learn how it all works.

ALEKS helps my university keep our curriculum more uniform at all of our campuses, which is something our administration prizes. When students miss class, ALEKS helps keep them from falling too far behind, and ALEKS makes sure they work hard to earn the grades they do.

Department of Chemical Engineering Lab Assistant

"Pretty good overall "

What do you like best?

The online textbook is very convenient. You don't need to bring around a big book, which saves paper and space, and can access homework fairly easily as long as you have access to the internet. Additionally, I like that they tell you how many attempts you have for the assignment and when the assignment due date is. This makes finishing my work much more efficient.

What do you dislike?

For a lot of my textbooks, I cannot access the textbook directly. I need to first click into my assignments and then go to my textbook. I feel like this wastes a lot of time, especially because it only brings you to the chapter that corresponds to the homework. I believe this is a major area that can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is still a good program, just the connect homework problems be a little confusing at first.

I once had problems because I had registered a textbook with the wrong professor. Their customer service is very good, their hours are amazing, and the problem was resolved very quickly.

Research Assistant
(10,001+ employees)

"Valuable tool in sharpening your knowledge"

What do you like best?

Its very easy to use. I like it very organized and lets you when assignments are due and keeps track of your progress.

What do you dislike?

One frustrating thing about Aleks is when you get a question wrong it will continue to backtrack until you get it right. I tend to make careless computing mistakes so when I enter the answer incorrectly into the system even though I know what I'm doing it marks me wrong and now I'm back to square one.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Send students emails/alerts of upcoming assignments and due dates.

I have no business problems that I'm solving with ALEKS.

Aquarium Technition

"Learning with ALEKS"

What do you like best?

How it embeds the nformation into your brain by a repetitive learning algorithm.

What do you dislike?

The frustration of repeating troubling topics that you miss over and over until you get them right .

Not forgetting the information learned the next day or over an extended period of time. Due to their learning process

AP

"ALEKS was easy to use and assess student progress"

What do you like best?

I love the reports that I can run to see students progress and I like that I can see exactly what questions students got incorrect and what problems they skipped.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that the program can be boring for students. I wish there was more interaction, such as videos, for the students. I also wish assessments could be rescheduled.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great program for secondary students. It allows them to choose their course of learning. However, once an assessment is started, there is no getting out of it, even if a teacher requests an assessment, so this may cause students to get burned out with how frequently they need to be on the program.

Tracking student progress, student centered classrooms, blended learning.

"A helpful learning tool for K-12"

What do you like best?

I am a pretty big advocate of ALEKS, and I've used it for quite a while now. I love being able to pull up what the kids have learnt and haven't learned. It's possible to know who has mastered a subject and who has not.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really much I dislike about this program. I don't like the notifications, and sometimes the user interface is hard to use. Occasional glitches can happen, so remember to keep your work saved at all times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As I always say, remember to analyze the other alternatives and all the capabilities of the program in order to make good use of the money it costs.

I used it for testing in order to make a Thesis about educational software and games. One of the big benefits is that is supported by a well known corporation as Mc Graw Hill, and it has great client assistance to guide you through the options.

AH

"ALEKS for Math"

What do you like best?

Easy to use for students, good customer service from ALEKS Customer service, step by step tutorial for students

What do you dislike?

So far there is nothing to dislike about this software, it seems to be a great resource for students to be using to help with their math skills

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A great program for students to use on campus or at home.

Business problems being solved by ALEKS is helping students brush up on their math skills. With this software students can come in the Math Success Lab on campus and review and prepare for classes, assessment tests, etc.

Teacher
Education Management

"Aleks from an Algebra 1 Teacher in Indiana"

What do you like best?

The program allows you to differentiate your instruction easily. It also gives you great data on student progress. Because ALEKS in now owned by McGraw Hill, you can work with them on pricing.

What do you dislike?

In earlier versions some of the charts were hard to get into an easy to print form and if a pre-made class doesn't exist you have to spend a good amount of time creating it, but ALEKS has several premade courses that are set to current state standards.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is an amazing remediation program. I don't think it could take the pace of teaching a course for most students but it get students what they need to be successful on the test with just a little outside teaching.

With the State test in Indiana being a graduation requirement this lets you get low students up to grade level and continue on to high levels with out having to bog them down with things they know and go over their heads with things they done.

UP

"Aleks is great for working with students one-on-one"

What do you like best?

I used Aleks with a high school student who needed to take her Algebra 2 course over the summer. We both liked the visual graphs representing progress, the variety of activities/questions, and the broad scope of topics.

What do you dislike?

For some sections, her progress was slower because of the way the reteaching modules were introduced.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I am considering using ALEKS with another student to improve skills over the summer. It has an independent component that is helpful for older students, yet there is also the ability for the teacher/tutor/parent to monitor and provide feedback on progress.

Provides an online solution to individualized instruction for students.

(Myself Only)

"Testing Tool"

What do you like best?

The program adapts to the user and it changes the questions up based off of what you have answered correctly/incorrectly. The program is simple to use once you get started and there are a lot of features within the program. I used this for math so there were rulers, graph makers, and calculators available.

What do you dislike?

It took me a long time to start using the software did not work on certain web browsers and I ended up using the software on Mozilla Firefox. I had to download firefox and perform additional steps in order to run Aleks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pricing is a bit high and the program should be able to run on different browsers. This would make the program more convenient and it would decrease the amount of customer support needed.

As an accounting major, I have taken Aleks exams for schools and work assessments.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"ALEKS is a helpful yet frustrating and tedious resource to use for learning general chemistry. "

What do you like best?

I liked that the ALEKS topics coincided with the textbook chosen by the professor. When seeking help with various questions, ALEKS would direct you to the section in the book to find more information. This was a useful way to review material.

What do you dislike?

I did not like that if you got a question wrong, ALEKS would add many more questions for you to complete until that topic is considered "learned". Many times, the errors were mechanical errors, but ALEKS did not differentiate between mechanical and structural errors. Also, ALEKS has a very specific way of asking questions, and often it was not a matter of "do you know this topic" but rather "can you fill in the blanks ALEKS has left for you to complete". This could many times be done by simply following the outline of the explanation given.

N/A

"A program about patterns rather than content"

What do you like best?

Explanations went step by step and were given right after a wrong answer. They were very clear and well written.

What do you dislike?

For the more difficult content, it was more about learning the pattern on how to complete the module rather than learning the content.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use a light amount of modules as the completion time can vary heavily depending on the individual

It gives instant feedback for students during their time and is somewhat convenient.

Manager
E-Learning

"Informational and Workable"

What do you like best?

I like the overall layout and page selection.

What do you dislike?

I dislike features that get in the way like highlighting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use and many useful tools at your disposal.

Scientific questions involving red tide and more.

Teacher

"ALEKS McGraw"

What do you like best?

I really like how everything aligns with standards and there rigorous and work with accommodations.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how there is no answer keys to the assignments and worksheets online.

I am not facing any business problems that need to be solved. I have seen benefits of not having to waste paper for assignments and tests.

Data Analytics Engineer
Internet

"ALEKS Review"

What do you like best?

implementation of ALEKS resulted in better course management. I spent far less office-hour time tutoring students on financial accounting material. ALEKS provides a great way for educators teaching the introduction to accounting course to address the functional competencies of financial accounting in both an efficient and effective manner. I love the new interface that just recently got deployed. Tablet-friendly interface with easier, faster navigation and Student reports, providing progress data and giving students greater visibility into and ownership of their learning.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much I dislike about this program. Its very well versed and detailed in the content that it provides.

None.

UE

"I use this product every day for teaching Reading and Language Arts."

What do you like best?

I like that the software has daily instruction laid out in an organized fashion. The games for whole group instruction are valuable tools for engaging every learner.

What do you dislike?

There are often glitches that cause the software to hesitate or shut down. The program really only works using Chrome. It is not as user-friendly as it could be. It is hard to find where certain documents are stored. The answer keys are incorrect.

The videos, music, and games help keep the students engaged. The students know what to expect and enjoy the structure and routine. It is easy to give students quick writing assignments or homework assignments.

Purchasing Clerk

"Great"

What do you like best?

We have many buildings that use McGraw Hill

What do you dislike?

I have had no complaints about the use from any teachers

Recommendations to others considering the product:

No complaints so I would say keep going :)

Our teachers use it in classrooms

"Aleks work"

What do you like best?

I like how it allows you to easily grow and get work done. it's very easy to setup and Is great for the class

What do you dislike?

I dislike how tedious it is and how it forces you to repeat the same work

Recommendations to others considering the product:

its great

it helps me get better at math

"Not bad at all."

What do you like best?

It is simple. It gets the work done. I need to use more apps.

What do you dislike?

I need to get so many programs. Sometimes I am tired of the amount of resources but sometimes I am happy.

Assessment and communication with parents.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"ALEKS Review"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to see the percentage of completion on a pie chart for each student, discovering which topics are stronger.

What do you dislike?

In the original version, you cannot search by student. I believe this is new in the updated system.

We are able to review students' placement scores and determine appropriate math and chemistry placement.

CP

"Individualized academic instruction"

What do you like best?

This program is great for placement testing and to allow students to work and make progress from their personal level.

What do you dislike?

The program doesn't always skip previously learned skills and sometimes requires more practice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for placement and to allow self-instruction

Leveling information for students