Hubstaff Reviews & Product Details

What is Hubstaff?

Fight inefficiency and work better with streamlined time tracking, team and project management from Hubstaff. Accurately track time with lightweight desktop, web, and mobile apps. See work happen in real time with screen capture, track GPS locations, view reports, send invoices, and keep moving forward. Hubstaff integrates with over 30 apps so your business can run seamlessly, including Basecamp, Trello, Asana, Github, and Paypal. Available for Mac, Windows, Linux, and iOS.

Hubstaff Screenshots

Hubstaff Reviews

1-25 of 278 total Hubstaff reviews
Most Recent Hubstaff Video Review

"HubStaff Review"

Response from Sarah C of Hubstaff

Hi,

We appreciate your feedback and kind words regarding your experience using our platform.

We understand navigating around a new system can be a little overwhelming which is why we invite you to reach out to our support team if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with.

CEO

"Great software"

What do you like best?

What I like the best about Hubstaff is the simplicity of the software and at the same time the number of features that allow us to have a fully functional team. I am a big fan of the screenshots feature. As a person that leads a team of all remote agents, it's necessary to be able to not only track our teams hours but also to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot of things that I dislike about Hubstaff, but if I was to think of something it would be the automatic payment process. I can see why this would be difficult to accomplish, but in my opinion, it's a bit difficult to properly set up the payment systems in Hubstaff. The links to outside services and the lack of clear explanations make it difficult to want to even set up the payment systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

NA

Our team is all remote, and I needed a way to properly track their time and to make sure they were working on the correct things. So, the solution that Hubstaff was able to provide me with was the ability to just properly track my team.

Response from Sarah C of Hubstaff

Hi Guillermo,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback in ways we can improve the platform.

We understand that setting up your account and payroll can be challenging which is why I have forwarded this to the appropriate department so we can improve our payroll documentation.

In the meantime if there is anything we can assist you with please feel free to contact our support team and we will be happy to help you.

Owner

"Staff management made easy"

What do you like best?

Hubstaff makes it very easy to track your remote employees' tasks and ensure they are working on the right projects at the right time.

I also quite like that they are very proactive with new features. For instance, Hubstaff Tasks.. I needed a tool to monitor tasks, and then I was told about Hubstaff Tasks from their support team. All in all, I have been very imporessed with their platform, and would most definitely recommend it to everyone in my or similar situation.

What do you dislike?

The only thing, I was missing at signup, was an introductory video to everything Hubstaff has to offer. It took a little while to get a full understanding of everything. However, Hubstaff has so many things to offer that it is natural to take a while to learn. I would recommend some implementation help, if you are bringing Hubstaff into a larger organization. While it can likely solve everything in terms of staff management, it does get complex at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The cost for this tool is so little that not implementing it, will end up costing you in the long run. I never have to worry that my employees are working on the right project at the right time.

Having workers in a remote location, Hubstaff made it super easy keeping track of their work hours. If there's ever any doubt that they are working on the correct task, looking through the screenshots makes this concern a non-issue. Hubstaff made remove worker management a breeze!

Response from Cristina Denz of Hubstaff

Hi Niki,

Thank you for the nice review. We do have a support article for new owners of a Hubstaff organization that offers an overview and how to get started that may be of use which you can see here, https://support.hubstaff.com/hubstaff-quick-start-guide-for-owners-and-managers/. We also offer a demo which can be viewed here, https://hubstaff.com/demo.

Cristina

IT Operations Manager
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Excellent tool for monitoring time and project management."

What do you like best?

I like that he has the ability to keep track of the work of the employees very easily. This tool allows us to know which employees are working efficiently and who does not, the wide variety of configuration options allows this tool to adapt perfectly to what one wants.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I do not like about this tool is the Android app, it does not work with the same effectiveness of the computer, because it has some restricted functions, for example, productivity metrics and screenshots, that limits a lot the usefulness of the app and I think that this really should be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This tool is very good for tracking time, without neglecting the management of employees' working time, this tool is highly recommended without the size of your company.

We have solved the problem we had to bill our clients in the projects carried out according to the time used. we have also improved the management of employees' working time, thanks to the ability to track this tool's time to see what our employees do, this also helps to save time and money.

Head Marketing Funnel Architect

"No problems or complaints with Hubstaff!"

What do you like best?

I like the interface within Hubstaff and I like the screen capture and time tracking features that I use for my remote team. I also like how I can easily view the screen captures, time tracked for the previous week and I can simply approve it as well. I feel like using this tool makes my team feel like they are working with a real professional who takes his business seriously.

What do you dislike?

At this time, I really don't have any dislikes. My team is small, so there could be challenges with larger teams but since I don't have any experience with that I do not know what they would be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep doing what you are doing!

I am eliminating the need for Upwork and using Hubstaff to track my team's time and productivity. It allows me to pay them directly within creates more loyalty and trust for us.

Response from Sarah C of Hubstaff

Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and we are so happy to hear that our software is helping you and your business.

If your team does expand in future be sure to let us know and we will be happy to answer any questions you have regarding your setup.

marketing manager

"Very useful for freelancing and logging hours"

What do you like best?

I do remote freelancing, I also have a business partner where we log our hours spent on the business. This is super simple to use and the screenshot feature that verifies work helps avoid a lot of arguments with clients, as well as help me monitor my own work as well as other people employ remotely. It has really solved a problem. I have already recommended it to a lot of clients for their other remote workers etc and even agencies.

What do you dislike?

The interface on the website could be a little clearer and sometimes it feels as if it may slow my computer a little bit if I have a lot of tabs open plus this but no big deal.

As I said in the above, it helps me log my hours spent on the business with my business partner so we can see the value and time spent on the business - important for fairness and equity. Its great for when I am convincing clients to let me work remotely who may feel unsure about the idea because it reassures. And the same for myself when hiring remote employees, I just ask as standard practice if I am paying per hour rather than per task to use this and it just really helps everyone focus, buckle down, and reassures me too.

Publisher Support Manager

"A necessity for running teams both large and small"

What do you like best?

We use Hubstaff to measure our remote freelancer base of around 40 freelancers. Hubstaff allows us to see where our freelancers spend most of their time working and assures us that when they are working they are doing so efficiently. Different reporting metrics within Hubstaff help us to identify issues within our workflows and help us build a better experience for our freelancers.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to have different themes to choose from or to be able to edit the color codes. This recent theme update is a super bright theme. The more choices the better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider what you're looking for when managing a team. If you're looking for efficient tracking, easy scheduling, customizable time off policies, detailed reporting, and cost management than Hubstaff is for you.

We switched from another monitoring software believing Hubstaff would be the superior time tracking solution. We were mistaken by thinking this. This is because Hubstaff has proven to be more than just a time tracking system. Hubstaff allowed us to virtualize our team data like schedules, time off requests, projects, etc while being able to have runnable reports on all these data points.

Hubstaff helped us cut down on project management fees. Their software allowed us to easily manage 40 individuals in-house instead of sourcing to a BPO or equivalent business.

Account Manager

"An incredibly advanced and detailed time tracking product"

What do you like best?

I like the wide variety of tracking features included that not only let employee register work time, but allow us to actually see activity such as screenshots and location trackers. The overall data we receive from Hubstaff gives us great insight into the efficiency of employees and whole departments. The software itself is easy to work with and has many visual features that are great for reports and presentations.

What do you dislike?

To certain employees, tracking software like Hubstaff can be a hindrance to the quality of work they provide. Some may be reluctant to use it or find ways to unfairly manipulate the system to their advantage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When used properly, Hubstaff can be a great tool for tracking and improving productivity. Though it might seem like an annoying system for employees, you can focus more on the efficiency and productivity improvement aspect of the system to help make them buy into it.

We use Hubstaff as a means for tracking employee work time and activity. We can link the system with computers and devices to check in unobtrusively with employees to monitor their work activity and to keep everyone more accountable. We're also able to provide documented data that can be used to refine our workflows and other productivity issues.

Marketing Director

"Excellent Experience Overall"

What do you like best?

I've been using Hubstaff daily in my business for more than 3 years and love it. It's reliably accurate and I also appreciate the fact it takes screenshots for my clients. I'm able to close more clients working from home because I can assure them of my accountability. Highly recommended.

What do you dislike?

After working offline and then starting the timer online it can sometimes seem to not have recorded that time but it's just the way the software works while it's uploading this data to your account. There is no real issue and all the time tracked has always shown up correctly in the reporting online once it uploads after a couple of minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Perhaps there is other time tracking software that provides keyboard stroke and random screenshots now but at the time I did this research this was the reason I selected Hubstaff. It can definitely make it easier to close sales as a freelancer because of the accountability you are able to provide clients.

I'm solving the problem of providing clients with the reassurance and accountability they require to move forward when hiring me. The screenshots and keyboard stroke logging help to close more deals especially if the client hasn't worked with a freelancer remotely before.

Freelance Creative Writer

"Hubstaff is a very good tool for time tracking and payments"

What do you like best?

I have had the opportunity to use Hubstaff with more than two different companies, and that has changed the overall experience. The first company let me know how much I was earning and did almost everything through the platform, which made the overall freelancing process easier and more comfortable for everyone. The second company does not make use of Hubstaff in the same manner, so I don't get to have a comprehensive view of my status as a worker, but I can still track and view my own hours and enjoy the overall UX on the browser platform.

What do you dislike?

I only dislike two things about Hubstaff: the first one is that the Windows app looks very outdated and has little to no functionality, even crashing sometimes. This has led to some problems, like there's this bug on the app in which sometimes the time tracker won't reset itself automatically, leaving me with yesterday's hours and forcing me to constantly restart the app. The second thing I don't like is that creating time reports for yourself and looking at how many hours you've worked on a given week or month, etc, can get pretty complicated, and all freelancers want this. Hubstaff is great for time tracking but maybe not that great yet for time 'reviewing', so to speak.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For companies: be sure to make use of the payment options and hourly rates so people know exactly how much they're earning and please do not expect your employees to go above 80% activity rate naturally, that's slavery. My company expects a 65% activity rate out of every remote worker and that's acceptable enough. We're not machines. For freelance workers: be careful when using Hubstaff, get productive and always keep your tasks organized.

As a worker I'm not really solving any business problems but there are many benefits to being able to track your time and see your overall activity in real time. Hubstaff can also act as a great mediator between you and the employer, as your activity is quantified and task creation does allow you to have something to show for everytime. It does help freelancers get by as consultants and remote workers.

CTO

"Very useful, soft and simple"

What do you like best?

The printscreen shoots and how we can monitore if the employee is working or not, differentiating what is manual input or not. One of the most important thing is that you can bill the cliente at right price, because we have all the hours registered in each task. The activity tracking in very useful too because you can trackif the employee is being lazy or not in the task. It shows to you all the low activities at dashboard.

What do you dislike?

I like almost everything, but I think that the desktop software needs a new face. I don't know, maybe a new design or just some polishing. The design is simples, and thats ok. Its a matter of taste. Maybe implementing a dark theme.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

One of the best softwares to monitore employee, projects profits and projects tasks time. Its very useful and simple to use. Hubstaff have a resource thats take printscreen every 10 minutes while tracking. This is a very important resource where you can see if the employee is working or not. Also, Hubstaff have an activity monitoring, so you can track how much the employee is working, if he is being lazy while tracking, etc.

Solving issues about employees who are working remotely, I really can track if they are working or not. About benefits, we're not wasting too much time on tasks, and if we do, why we wasted that time? We have the reasons in manual inputs and the notes.

Revenue Manager

"The greatest time keeper and project manager"

What do you like best?

This platform works great for my remote business. I can easily keep track of my time and my employers can easily check I'm making the advancements I claim to be making. Support has also been great all the time, the few times I've contacted them, they have been extremely helpful to fix whatever issue I was having.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing to dislike. I've been using it for over a year now and there has been constant improvements to the platform throughout. I'm actually really excited for what's to come, the updates are always super helpful and I have not doubt that they will continue to be in the future,

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're on the fence in using Hubstaff, please jump over it. This is a great product that will no doubt help your company not only in keeping track of your employees time, but also in managing the different projects

Main problem is time keeping. The productivity percentage keeps me engaged in my tasks, it also can easily help me determine wether I'm on track to finishing tasks based on my proposed time to completion

Managing Partner

"I know what my team is doing"

What do you like best?

The software has been practically without a hitch in the 4ish years we've used it. It tracks our team's work hours, and our settings have it record 3 screenshots per 10 minute period, which is super helpful. As I explain below, this has helped us address a bunch of issues and in every way makes us a more organized and informed management team. I'd never run a team without this type of software again. (Note: I didn't test this against other providers, so my feedback will be limited in that way).

What do you dislike?

Support responses are delayed- so you often need to wait a day or so to hear back from them. Sales is quicker than support- which sends the wrong message.

I'd prefer more screenshots than the maximum 3 per 10 minute period. I'd prefer to average one per minute. It would allow me to do better problem-solving.

They advertise a price per user, but it isn't entirely accurate. They charge in chunks of 5 users, so if you go from 15 to 16 users, you increase not by their advertised $5/user but by $25. Ideally they'd have a smart system that auto-computes usage instead of 5 user blocks.

EMPLOYEE MONITORING - SCREENSHOTS

I can see 3 screenshots per 10 minute period of all work done by each member of my team. This is helpful on many levels. If someone is not getting an assignment right, rather than guessing how they ended up at the wrong place I can actually see how they arrived there. This is like back in school when our math teachers wanted to see our work- not just the answer- so that they understood how we got there.

Screenshots are also helpful for resolving issues when someone isn't online. So, if on Saturday I get a client email that says "We got a security notice of a login yesterday at 4:42pm- was that you?" I can actually go to the work of the people who might've logged in and confirm it- which gives certainty and peace of mind to our operations.

On a coarser level, we can look to see if someone is wasting time or doing things that are not relevant to their work. While we don't patrol our screenshots for this purpose, we do look when we see someone's productivity drop.

We've seen all kinds of abuses over the years- things that we felt but didn't know until we saw the screenshots. Abuses meaning a waste of company resources/time, nothing evil.

We use it to check in on new hires to make sure that their assignments are clear and that they are allocating time well. This has helped us find a lot of waste.

Back when we used to use freelancers this was invaluable as it gave them a heightened sense of responsibility.

TIME TRACKING

When we implemented Hubstaff- 4 years back- we interestingly saw an immediate drop in time reporting from people working for us remotely. Their hours dropped by 30% immediately. I don't think it was intended deception on their part, I just think that people reported their work hours based on how long it felt as opposed to actual clock hours. The transition to actual clock hours saved us a ton of money.

We process our team's payments based on their HubStaff hours. This makes it really easy to do payroll.

PROJECT TIME TRACKING

For when we are doing client work on an hourly, this tool gives me exact numbers for billing, which is really helpful.

Content Creator

"Great, simple time tracking for our team"

What do you like best?

Time tracking is super easy with Hubstaff! It's easy to see where my time has gone throughout the work day.

What do you dislike?

My only issue is the fact that tracking time on mobile and desktop doesn't seem to sync correctly, so if I start a timer on my phone, the macOS app doesn't reflect sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for team time tracking / employee time management or anyone looking to track time to specific clients. I would recommend using it to also manage a larger team of employees where knowing what they are working on may be difficult to know, even in the same office. We have found Hubstaff to be useful for tracking meeting times with clients, as many of our employees are out and about on client meetings, shoots at events, and doing work outside the office.

We are solving the problem of time tracking for a variety of our agency's clients. It's easy for people in the office and for people out on shoots at events.

Tutoress h_da Alumni Portal

"Perfect for me as a freelancer to track my project-time"

What do you like best?

Now I can easily track my time for ever single project and can now find out, how much work I put in every customer. That makes it more easy for me to send right invoices and proofe my worked time.

Easy to use, fast to implement, especially for time tracking, it is great and simple. I like it, thank you!

What do you dislike?

I don't like the design very much, but I think this does not matter.

But what I also do not get is how I can easily show the whole month-time of one project. This would be great if I can see that really easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use, fast to implement, especially for time tracking it is great and simple.

What I do not get is how I can see the whole month-time of one project. This would be great if I can see that really easy - maybe you find out faster than me.

- Exact time I work for every project

- Times and dates when I work on a specific project

Response from Cristina Denz of Hubstaff

Hi,

You can view the entire months activity on a project by using the Time & Activities Report and choosing the entire month using the date picker at the top.

We also welcome any feedback on the design. You can send that and anything else you'd like to say to support@hubstaff.com or contact us at https://support.hubstaff.com.

Cristina

Project Manager

"Great Time Tracking App"

What do you like best?

I like using this timer for work because it makes it very easy for invoicing. You can pull reports as needed and screenshots during the time you worked. It helps overall when you're needing to check your work and activity percentage.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I could say that I dislike about Hubstaff is it tends to glitch often. Sometimes I will be working and the timer will randomly shut off without warning. I have also noticed that sometimes it won't update your total time worked for in real time. So I have to keep refreshing and checking if the time is accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would make sure to keep checking your time log to see the total time worked.

The benefits of having Hubstaff is it makes administrative work easy. Time is money so to be able to accurately have the number of hours worked is important for billing.

HR

"Money Saver and Time Saver"

What do you like best?

We can easily see who is doing their job and who is doing it well with this software. It is mind-blowing how many people will cheat you out of money, and Hubstaff helps you easily see who does that and who is worth their keep. There are many options in the settings that help you do exactly what you want to do. You can track hours for different projects/tasks.

What do you dislike?

With recent improvements on Hubstaff's side, there's really not much that I do not like. There's a ton of different features that I don't use, but I'm sure others do. The features that I do use are great and make it well worth the money.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is no other software out there that does what Hubstaff does. Hubstaff has practically saved our business over and over with all of the money we have saved. Catching new employees who are only here to make money and not do a good job is essential. You can see the activity levels and the progress in their work. You can never know who is sitting there not doing their job, without software like this.

We can easily see which employees are doing what they should be doing and if they should keep their job. You are also able to see how many hours are going towards certain projects/tasks. Being able to SEE what employees are doing is major and has helped save us so much money and time.

Presidente da SBEB JOVEM
Higher Education

"Great Software for tracking Freelance projects"

What do you like best?

The best qualities about Hubstaff it's a light very intiuitive software, that allows you to track time and activity of different projects, so I know how much time I've spent on different tasks of different projects, therefore I have a better control of my progress and payments. I also enjoy how easy it is to track my employees acitivity and their performance.

What do you dislike?

Mobile version and specially the android version could use some upgrading. Android version doesn't allow screenshots and productivity metrics, and that really limits the advantages of Hubstaff on mobile devices. Android and browser version really need some more investment and inhancment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Their CS is very good! Fast and useful answers.

I work on academic projects and customer service business. Hubstaff really benefits me in tracking how much time I'm spending on each project, and if it is compatible with its progress.

Managing Director

"HubStaff changed my business dramatically"

What do you like best?

The automated time tracking helps me to understand who of my Freelancers gets what and I can even assign the hours to a client project. This made the hours tracked and paid way more accurate and paid off from the very first month of using it.

What do you dislike?

There is not really a lot to dislike. One minor thing so that I would like to see added is the ability to hide screens from the recording. I'm personally working with 3 screens and not all should be visible to all customers at all time. So being able to delete screens or at least blur them would help a lot here.

Time tracking got way more transparent and thus more accurate. To the benefit of the staff as well as to the benefit of the copmany.

Co-Founder - Managing Member

"Well worth the effort!"

What do you like best?

Hubstaff has made it possible for us to clearly communicate expecations and closely follow the output of our destributed staff and vendors.

What do you dislike?

I think it would be helpful if there were a bit more clarity between Hubstaff timekeeping functions and timekeeping as it relates to using their system to pay your team members. We had lots of confusion with this in the beginning, but the folks at Hubstaff were quick to respond and very helpful in getting us through the issues we were having.

Running any kind of distributed team can be a challenge. Hubstaff helps us to clearly communicate what we need from our Team Members and they can tie their work efforts directly to those needs. We can tell how much time Team Member 1 spent working on shipping x vs refactoring y. Very helpful.

Lead Developer

"Overall, I love it!"

What do you like best?

Beautifully designed dashboard. Connectivity with external services. We use GitLab for tracking the progress and I can get/close/assign tasks through HubStaff which is a big help.

Good monitoring, nice feature, overall we're very satisfied.

What do you dislike?

The look of the desktop tracker app, it needs improving.

I really miss the amount of the worked hours per week/month etc...

I would like to see when a screenshot has taken in a desktop notification as a thumbnail, and if I click on it it should open the timesheet page and show the taken screenshot. I would be able to delete it immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it and you don't have to look for anything else, it's even better than it seems.

Time tracking

Task management

Salary tracking

Senior Web Developer

"Best Tool For Time and Task Tracking"

What do you like best?

hubstaff is a tool which helps me a lot in getting paid for my freelance works for the working hours. it tracks our working hours and how much we are involved in a particular work. it takes screenshot three times in every ten minutes and keeps tracks of how much we are using our mouse and keyboard in that particular time span. i never want to argue with my clients about the working hours

What do you dislike?

its a very good tool and it helps me a lot in freelance works so i dont find any disadvantages yet

Recommendations to others considering the product:

best one for freelancers for time and work tracking and get paid for your effort

tracking time for my freelance works and getting paid makes easy

Video & Design

"Hubstaff is a very cool and Great for online teams!"

What do you like best?

Hubstaff is a quick and easy way to track your time working on a project. I like that I'm able calculate pay easily. I used only for Windows and works great. It is easy to use dashboard with graphs of productivity. Also you can view daily, weekly, and monthly productivity rate. I would highly recommend this to all my friends & previous co-workers to work efficiently with less supervision.

What do you dislike?

Limited features in order to use it for free. It doesn't allow me to write-in a description of activities accomplished on the billing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend it to others.

I was able to monitor time spent and activity levels of employee and also to monitor screenshots and change frequency of them being taken .

Director of Operations

"Frees up Hours of my Time Every Week!"

What do you like best?

The most valuable aspect of the software is the project costing that it allows us to do, while simultaneously eliminating the need for an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day to try to remember how long you worked on each! This means more accurate cost calculations, as well as zero time creating "recall" invoices for contractors.

What do you dislike?

I would like a few additional reports, and the ability to slice and dice a little more.

The problems of accurate job costings as well as timely and accurate invoices for freelance staff. It is really a win/win with contractors being paid much quicker and providing the business with more actionable real time data on which we can base business decisions going forward.

Blockchain and Software Engineer

"good time tracker solution"

What do you like best?

os app, web portal, invoices. Ability to manage time after it was tracked. Ability to restrict time tracking without task selected

What do you dislike?

can't track and see common time in os app (it is available only per project ). It will be nice to see all the projects day total in the os app. It can be settled optionally in app settings. Also, I dislike a few setting options in os app.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

can't track and see common time in os app (it is available only per project ). It will be nice to see all the projects day total in the os app. Add ability to send daily time reports with common month time and progress.

remote work, task reporting, team member review.

Business Manager

"Absolutely BEST time tracker on the market!"

What do you like best?

It's ease of use, the fact that it doesn't take up too many PC resources, how highly customizable it is, the quality of the tracking it does (from time, to screenshots and links).

What do you dislike?

I've been using Hubstaff for the past 3 years and they've added some brilliant features and integrations that will make your life a lot easier whether you're a freelancer or a large business.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely give the trial a go to assess for yourselves whether it's a good fit for you or not. The proof is in the pudding :)

Back when I worked for a start-up Hubstaff was instrumental in keeping track of remote employees. In time it became our main productivity tool and helped us assess where time could have been better used.

Now I use to track my own time and productivity as a freelancer. It not only helps me keep track of my tasks and monitor how much time I spend on each, but their reporting also helps me get a birds-eye view of my week.

Hubstaff Features

8.4
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.5*
* Time Tracking Category
Do you work for Hubstaff?