Muck Rack Reviews & Product Details

What is Muck Rack?

Muck Rack’s software enables PR teams to effectively find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, collaborate as a team, and quantify their impact. Fortune 500 brands, agencies and startups rely on Muck Rack to manage relationships with the media and boost coverage more efficiently. Today’s PR professionals have no time for inaccurate contact information, disjointed workflows or archaic software. That’s why companies such as Nike, Taco Bell, Pfizer, Golin and Penguin Random House use Muck Rack to take their communications to the next level. Muck Rack is also the solution of choice for journalists, who use their free, automatically updated portfolios to showcase their work and to provide information about what stories they’re looking for, their personal interests and how they prefer to be pitched.

Muck Rack Profile Details

1-25 of 54 total Muck Rack reviews

Muck Rack Reviews

1-25 of 54 total Muck Rack reviews
Manager

"With this tool I have found it easier to find reporters of any important topic."

What do you like best?

What I like the most is that it is a powerful and simple PR software platform to use. MuckRack has allowed me to discover the best journalists to present any story based on my profiles in our extensive media database, also this great software allows me to search the articles they have written and the content that my employees share on social networks.

What do you dislike?

What disgusted me at the beginning of using this software was that it did not let me delve into the results of my articles very well. But as I was using MuckRack in my company, we learned many functions to be able to better solve our articles now have been added and sent to any other place as well. Just this was what we needed in my business to be able to acquire good results.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can recommend the product for the reason, that it offers a lot of all the authors that may have previously written for a publication, it has also been great to see what the reporters have written especially because many are Feelancers and write for multiple sources , and I love the feature where you can see who tweeted a specific article.

The ability to find any necessary information about reporters, gives me too many benefits that are advantageous to my business, in order to improve my own recruitment prospects and identify great new talents. MuckRack is especially useful if you are a freelance writer and have publications with a wide variety of outlets.

HR

"Essential tool"

What do you like best?

Muck Rack is, as it says on its website, a new standard in PR Software. As an avid user in my previous companies and as a freelancer, I have found Muck Rack to provide easy sharing capabilities and gathering info as well. I have establish many relationships from blind pitching and responding to inquiries. It's definitely a step up from HARO in my opinion.

What do you dislike?

Pricing. I feel like for small companies under 5 employees or just freelancers, like myself, it can be better priced As a freelancer, it took me a bit to to see ROI in a month.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely request a demo and ask as many questions as possible when you are contacted by a rep. Be very clear about your expectations and ask for examples of how this software cab meet your expectations. Although a bit pricey if you fly solo, I feel it is eventually worth it. Your credibility and portfolio will definitely flourish.

Pitching. It has expanded my realm of pitching opportunities and has helped me land placements with outlets on my goal list. I have also benefited from the metrics portion of it. I can see where my news has hit, how much engagement it has received and it helps me compare it to other similar stories I have shared to help target the "why is it so successful?" question. The user interface is also very modern and slick whoch makes it very easy to navigate through.

Associate Editor & Senior Staff Writer
Writing and Editing

"Simple but resourceful for consolidation of clips and analytics among media outlets"

What do you like best?

I'm a big fan of Muck Rack to easily consolidate my news clips. It is also a good resource for data analytics among journalists. I also my own CMS programs to create personal pages, but they are hard on up-keep. It also has a very simple to use analytics calculator, just input the article's URL into the "who's shared my article" section, for how many times your article has been shared among other journalists and media outlets shared your article. It also pulls tweet embeds of journalists who have shared the article to show what they said. There are still a few features I have not used yet.

What do you dislike?

The site could have a nicer aesthetic presence, typically in the automatic pull section of news clips. I also have trouble editing logistical information, such as the appropriate phone number to use. Furthermore, the profile section has an odd timeline for filtering priority of information. But hey, it is still way more user friendly and faster than building your own website.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great back up website to your personal site, or a good intermediary as you build your own. It also acts as a networking community.

As a journalist, it is hard consolidate all the clips you produce. Muck Rack does it for you. In addition, the site also has a feature where you can cultivate your own profile. It is also helpful to know what other journalists/news sites are reading and sharing your work. In this way, you know the type of appeal your articles have on others in the industry, and site places for possible collaboration among outlets.

"Best PR communications software"

What do you like best?

Amazing customer service! I switched over from Cision about a year ago, They made the transition seamless and the user experience of the platform is 10 times better. I've placed dozens of stories using this platform and I recommend it to all of my PR friends. I was not offered an incentive for this review. I just really love this platform.

What do you dislike?

Because the platform is newer, the database of journos isn't as expansive as cision or meltwater. But if I'm looking for someone specific, I use the chat feature and someone sends me a link to the reporters profile within minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the demo. You won't be disappointed. Also, reach out to their customer service team to learn how to build press lists intuitively.

I've connected with reporters who are interested in writing about my organization's issue. It's so easy to follow up with reporters based on articles they've already written using this platform.

"A great place to learn about journalists"

What do you like best?

As a journalist myself, I find Muckruck informative on keeping up with fellow reporters-- as well as seeing where my articles have been aggregated and sent to wherever else as well.

What do you dislike?

There should be more options to follow links and see how far an article has reached as well as get a basic timeline for both the story and the author of the article.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

MuckRuck is great to catch up with the news stories of some of the best journalists in the field, and offers a great plethora of all authors who may have previously written for a publication as well as what future up and coming reporters a news agency may have just hired.

Not so much problems as it provides a fact based and verifiable area for finding some of your favorite journalists and see what they are up to, as well as see what articles and news stories they are following that you should do so as well.

Director of PR & Marketing
Public Relations and Communications

"Wonderful product; not the perfect fit for my needs"

What do you like best?

The user interface on the search was so easy to find and identify freelance journalists or contributors. I love that Muck Rack pulls from Twitter because let's be honest, Twitter and Linkedin get updated a lot faster than a media's website. I go to MuckRack when I have exhausted my google searching, have built a solid media list, and need additional ideas for pitching. It's great to see what reporters have written about (especially since many are freelancers and write for multiple outlets), and I love the feature where you can see who tweeted a specific article.

What do you dislike?

The database seemed to be heavy with reporters for biz and tech, which doesn't help me since I am usually looking for hyper-local writers and influencers. Additionally, I work with a lot of lifestyle writers, and lifestyle can mean so much - including design, interiors, products, food, theater, music, etc. I wish I were able to drill down into results a bit more.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I really loved this product and their sales team. I wish that their database had deeper insights into local reporters and media outlets, as well as those covering the vast beat of "lifestyle." I think businesses that are focused on tech or business would really benefit from using MuckRack.

Media database. It's great for additional research and finding freelancers who I have no worked with before. The media profiles provide a clear picture of a reporter's interests. I also love the fact that journalists seem to have a great respect for the platform.

Business Development Executive

"Muck Rack Review"

What do you like best?

I appreciate software. The great thing about Muck Rack is that it allowed me to answer questions from a business plan in whether or not we should move towards replacing our UI. Thanks to Muck Rack we've been able to streamline and create automation unlike what we've normally been exposed to previously.

What do you dislike?

I feel that within the user interface there are certain functionalities that still need work. Maybe a drag and drop button to help populate the screen may be easier. However, overall the learning was pretty quick to navigate in onboarding.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Muck Rack is a game changer for having to answer tough questions on when and if the time is right to improve your UI

With Muck Rack development on our project afterward will be so much smoother and will open new doors as to what new things we can accomplish.

UP

"Quick Response to Journalist Updates -- But a lot of un-updated journalists"

What do you like best?

- The ability to find any information needed about reporters, like their beat, email and recent articles.

- The ability to track words and phrases that have to do with my clients.

- The ability to send batches of pitches to journalists.

- Creating media lists inside the site.

What do you dislike?

- Reporters who change outlets or emails are not often updated unless specifically requested.

- Word tracking often leads to too many emails or updates not thorough enough to catch the important articles

- Can't download previously created media lists into the website, must start from scratch.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it if you are ready to switch from manual excel spreadsheets to ones you can create in-website. Use it if you need access to a lot of reporters and their informatuon.

Contacting media, keeping track of media coverage of clients and competitors, sending out pitches.

(Myself Only)

"Great for improving your own hiring prospects and identifying great new talent"

What do you like best?

MuckRack provides a simple platform on which any individual in the media can build a simple repository of all their published work to date, regardless of the publication source. This is especially useful if you're a freelance writer and you have publications with a wide variety of outlets.

What do you dislike?

Visually, MuckRack is not particularly appealing. Moreover it doesn't provide intuitive ways to organize your clips, such as by publication.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Remember to religiously continue to upload your new content, particularly if you;re personally on a job hunt. It's vital to keep your profile up to date so prospective employers can see what you've been up to recently.

MuckRack can serve as one of many great ways to see how often a journalist has been published, where they've been published, and easily access their work to review its quality.

Creative Writer
Entertainment
(10,001+ employees)

"Great way to find and connect with journalists"

What do you like best?

The huge amount of people registered and the media lists that show this. It really is a one-stop shop, so you won't have to go searching LinkedIn or personal websites, except for additional information. The search feature brings up people, articles, topics, etc.

What do you dislike?

I have not run into anything I disliked yet.

This is the way that PR is going and trends suggests that a lot of industries are looking to engage freelancers rather than full-time employees. This is a platform just as good for networking as it is for PR and hiring.

Energy Team

"Build Media Lists Efficiently and Easily with Muckrack"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to find reporters from any outlet and any beat- it only takes seconds and the search process breaks it down really well.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how sometimes the reporter information isn't always the most up to date. Also, there should be more beat categories. For example, I was looking for immigration reporters in certain towns and immigration was not a beat. I then had to scroll through reporters and read their bios to see if they covered immigration- that took a long time! Add more beats and categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Muck Rack is great for beginners in the PR industry who are just starting to build media lists

The benefits are that building media lists is fast and easy- there is a lot of information on Muckrack.

"Muck Rack Rocks"

What do you like best?

The Muck Rack newsletter is one of the few that I read almost every day. Written with flair and voice, it helps direct me to the most important news each day. I trust them almost implicitly. In addition, I'm grateful for the way that Muck Rack collates all of my pieces — helpfully showing up fairly high in Google searches.

What do you dislike?

Can't really think of any dislikes. I've never had any issues with the service, though admittedly I don't pay for anything. I don't think...

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend to other journalists!

It's an excellent news aggregate that saves me a lot of time skimming headlines each day. It also helps collect all of my published pieces under one respectable umbrella, providing advertising at no cost to me.

"Loads of info at your fingertips"

What do you like best?

This is a very comprehensive aggregation product that allows you to see either yours or another journalist's body of work in one place, or to search a publication.

What do you dislike?

Journalists don't seem to be updated all that well. This may be a passive feature in which someone has to report that a journalist is no longer at the publication, but many of them seem out of date.

The email is a good aggregation and the site makes it very easy to search work done by prospective employees.

(10,001+ employees)

"Helpful for finding journalists"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to find journalists within specific regions and with specific beats/areas of interest. It's also great for discovering new media within topic areas.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that building media lists isn't super intuitive -- it takes a little work. Overall, though, it's fine - just takes a little bit to figure out.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I love using Muck Rack for finding media. It's been really helpful in learning of new reporters to reach out to who we may not know of otherwise.

MuckRack helps us put together really, really good media lists. We are able to find untapped media to pitch and get our stories out there. It's a very good resource for finding contact information -- the database contains everyone I've needed.

"Muck Rack is a solid place to display your clips"

What do you like best?

I liked that my profile was actually already there waiting for me. Muck Rack has some kind of algorithm that collects articles from journalists and compiles them into a bare bones profile.

What do you dislike?

Not a whole lot, functionality wise. I just wish more people used it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a journalist, I recommend trying to search to see if your clips are already on the site! Many of mine were already aggregated into a profile for me. I signed up and it synced my Twitter feed along with a stream of my live articles, which makes for a nice collection of clips.

It's an easy and free way as a journalist to display my clips directly from the source.

UP

"Incredibly usefool tool "

What do you like best?

Its easy to use and for the most part up to date on everything. I also like how you can reach out to journalists directly on the platform. It shows their biography, current social media properties, their current place of employment, as well as published articles. Another useful facet on the website is their direct links to their Twitter profiles. I use this a lot in my searches as it helps me connect directly with the author or journalist at the publication. They also have a handy compiling method where you can click all the articles you'll use and save them on your dashboard.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, in rare cases, author information is out of date. For example, I was using muckrack directly for a briefing, but the articles shown were older than the actual articles that we published on the site.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Muck Rack is a great tool for compiling research and quantifying the reach of your subjects. The key in using this service lies in relying on the provided author information. It makes list building far easier and quicker. Moreover, the website is easy to navigate and use so It's definitely easy to jump right in.

It makes my reporter searches and article compilations much quicker. I am able to zone in on specific outlets I want to look at, which root out lesser known publications that have a tendancy to be either less popular or less accurate. It cuts my research time in half.

"MuckRack review from a journalist's perspective"

What do you like best?

As a journalist, I’m a big fan of this platform. This is a great space to connect journalists with PR individuals. I have made connections with a lot of people telling me they were interested in my work based off of what I’ve written in the past.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that this system is heavily saturated with national professionals. If you’re looking for local writers or influencers, they may not be hip to this database or it’ll take a lot of searching. Also this database is newer so not everyone is on this. Localization is important and this database needs to expand on that to connect local reporters and media outlets with local businesses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Localize it! Make it easier for PR professionals to find local reporters and media outlets. Make this database small business friendly.

As a journalist, I'm finding more opportunities for work. Muck Rack compiles anything I've worked on and the database is so easy to use. For PR people, his is a great tool to build press lists and follow up with reporters based on articles they’ve written in the past (especially on a state or national level).

"MuckRack- Review"

What do you like best?

Easy to find reporters when looking to create a media list. Includes all of the reporters' social media platforms and also the latest updates they've made on each site. Also includes other recommendations of contacts who should look into for more information or within the network of that same person.

What do you dislike?

Information on reporters isn't always current or up to date. Sometimes reporters change outlets and this isn't shown on their profile making it difficult to determine if everything is correct. Also, the beat for each reporter can be board. For example, a reporter has the beat of automobile technology but on Muckrack their only listed under technology which isn't specific enough.

Not many problems. The database isn't very large so they don't always have every reporter at a specific outlet, so I'd recommend using another database as well. It's nice that they include a photograph of the person your searching in case your a visual person or two people have the same name and your looking for a specific person.

UB

"An aggregator without much character"

What do you like best?

Muck Rack trawls the web for relevant publication effectively and seems to do a nice job in compiling the list for the journalist concerned.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the layout of the website, as it appears poorly designed and eye-straining. The page hierarchy isn't clear enough for users to know where to look for key information.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Anyone seeking information on journalists should also visit the webpage of their publications, as they tend to also have an author page dedicated to archiving purposes. Also, consult their LinkedIn and Twitter accounts for a fuller picture of their recent work.

I use Muck Rack primarily to access the journalist's recent publications and to understand the person's beat.

"Good resource for journalists and people wanting to learn about journalists alike"

What do you like best?

From a journalist's point of view (regarding business development/personal branding), it's a good way to consistently showcase your work in a portfolio-type setting. The media industry needs you to hustle. For anyone else, it's a way to look at the prior work of a journalist (what kinds of outlets have they worked for? what topics are they good at covering? do they specialize or are they general assignment types?) easily, without having to navigate to many different websites (if the journalist has written for many different outlets).

What do you dislike?

The product is not mainstream and not enough working journalists actually use it. Since the value of the information comes from the journalist profiles, there needs to be more profiles. It is definitely a credible product - the journalists on Muck Rack are willing to stand behind their profiles. Muck Rack could probably attract more journalists by showing examples of how people got work through their profiles.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it to save time.

It's a convenient, efficient way to see the past work of a journalist. A way to learn about them with less reading and research.

"Very Reliable"

What do you like best?

It is such a reliable source for contacts. Often times when using other databases, they are outdated or do not have certain contacts. Muckrack on the other hand has every contact I could ever need and also list out their recent work which is a really great help when researching new outlets.

What do you dislike?

I like basically everything about Muckrack and wish that my company used this program as our main source for finding contacts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I believe it is more beneficial for PR specialists to invest their money in MuckRack for media contact purposes than other databases because it is up to date and almost always has the contact info of the person you need.

They allow you to find contact information for various editors with ease.

UO

"A great tool for assisting with outreach to journalists"

What do you like best?

I love that this software is based around Twitter. This gives you real time information to understand what journalists are talking about as well as seeing what they are sharing, what have they written, how they like to be pitched, etc. Journalist can also build a profile on Muckrack and upload articles they've written , and fill out a bio. There is also the capability to search by beat, publication (though not all publications are represented) as well as country. This is extremely useful when trying to connect with foreign media.

What do you dislike?

If a journalist you are trying to reach out to doesn't have a twitter page, or doesn't keep their twitter updated it won't help you. Also, not all publications are represented, I have also searched for several journalists' information (knowing definitively they work at said outlet) only to find no information.The other problem I have noticed is in exporting. Some times the tweets don't export you in the reports I create. That's really annoying. A few flaws but overall I would still highly recommend.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Anyone who is in the midst of media list building, or monitors the media for brand mentions or needs to pitch the media on a story this is the software to use. You can build media lists here based off of search parameters, include tweets, email, etc in exports. If you save searches, you can opt to receive email updates on those searches.

It is a good cross referencing tool when using Cision.

Definitely worth the money. This has made media list building so much easier!!

Journalist outreach for pitching about specific non profit campaigns, as well as media monitoring of brand/campaign mentions. Media list building, and curating.

The benefit is seeing information in real time. Other software doesn't harness the timeliness of twitter.

It is also appreciated especially in the non profit space to be able to do searches around key words, or hashtags depending on what you are monitoring.

Another benefit is in using the who shared my link feature. You can see if any journalists are interacting with specific online content.

Public Affairs Intern
Writing and Editing

"Great tool for journalists new and old"

What do you like best?

I like that the website collects my story "clips" for me, but that I can also add my own if there are any missing. It adds to my credibility as a journalist.

What do you dislike?

I haven't noticed anything I dislike about Muck Rack.

Muck Rack allows me to aggregate my story clips for keeping track as well as easy display to others who may be interested.

E

"Timely PR Solution That Provides Broad Coverage and Alerts"

What do you like best?

I especially like the timely reviews of our brand name, as well as any relevant industries/categories that I input into my alerts. It's just about instant—much better than Google alerts.

What do you dislike?

Cost is quite high if you don't have a discount, but that said, there is no one PR solution that does it all. I use Muck Rack in combination with other tools.

With a limited PR budget, I find Muck Rack helpful for giving me instant insights into which highly-influential reporters are mentioning my brand, my leadership team, or news on my industry. This allows me to respond quickly.

IM
(Myself Only)

"Great for portfolio work"

What do you like best?

Muck Rack is a great third-party verification tool for media professionals. Since they take the time to update your profile with your latest work, it makes it easier to have all in one place if you write for numerous publications.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like that they display your tweets. Twitter is a conversational platform, and so it looks out of context.

I use Muck Rack as a freelancer to consolidate my work. It serves as my portfolio to show potential clients.

Muck Rack Features

9.0
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.1*
* Media Monitoring Category
Do you work for Muck Rack?