BigTime Reviews & Product Details

BigTime Overview

What is BigTime?

BigTime is the access-anywhere operating system behind the greatest consulting firms on the planet. We help accountants, architects, engineers, IT-services firms, scientific and management consultants budget, track and bill their most important asset - time. In fact, BigTime users have increased their gross margins by 25%, on average, with our business-adaptable tools for resource allocation, workflow and task management, project planning and tracking, billing and invoicing with Quickbooks integration, and Gantt charts. Sign up for a free trial.

BigTime Details

Everything you ever wanted in a time management app. Industry-savvy time tracking. One-click invoicing. Customizable reports. Seamless QuickBooks integration.

We Get It.

We listened to you and created BigTime for what real users want to accomplish, so our software already understands how to do project management for your industry.

We Adapt to You.

BigTime is as multi-functional as your firm needs it to be. Our software adapts to your business, and you can rely on BigTime to manage your projects and resources, from the drafting table to completion.

We’re the Right Size.

No matter the size of your firm, BigTime scales to your ambitions, whether you want billing software that talks to Quickbooks, invoices featuring your logo, or Gantt charts.

We Offer Excellent Support.

More than anything, people like that BigTime is easy to use, and that we offer direct access to our world-class customer support and success reps.

We’re Rated Better.

It’s plain to see why we’re rated so highly: BigTime is built for how you do business.

BigTime

BigTime Reviews

Showing 903 BigTime reviews
Already have BigTime?
Accounting Assistant
What do you like best?

I love how user friendly this program is. We recently switched from WorkBook and I don't ever want to look back because of how difficult it was. BigTime is well organized, I LOVE that I can save things or undo things in a simple click.

I'm still new to using it, but I must say one of my favorite things is probably the connection between BigTime and Quickbooks. I work a lot with Quickbooks, and the fact that things are linked and I can simply click "sync" and information transfers between the two means less duplicate entry work for me, and much less margin for error. I don't mind doing the work in any way, but this has already been incredibly helpful already in alleviating more time for the rest of my tasks.

Also, the fact that they have a live chat for customer service is amazing. And when they're not live, they'll answer you via email very quickly. That is so essential to me because sometimes I can't wait a week for an answer like I have with other programs in the past. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far I haven't found much I have disliked about the software. I will say that I wish we could customize some of the categories. It will take some time but "Activity" from our previous software means something completely different than "Activity" in BigTime. I think it will just take a little time to get used to it, but eventually we will get the differences down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try! You never know if you like something until you give it a chance. I'm sure there are lots of great programs out there, but this one I definitely recommend already, and we haven't even been using it that long! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest problem I think that has been solved for my workday is probably the amount of time I save on being able to sync things between BigTime and Quickbooks. I feel like I used to waste so much time because I was having to manually enter in data to Quickbooks AND to our old program. I have a lot more time to work on my other tasks now that I'm not doing double duty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I am an end user in BigTime. I am able to submit my hours for projects, review employee hours, and pull reports for clients. The system is easy to use and tracks everything we need. BigTime also allow us to track and submit expense reports. I am loving it! I just had my first experience with customer support and it was excellent as well. One of the most helpful things about BigTime is to be able to go back and look at the actions that were completed for a task and to see how much time it took. You can also track expenses and manage project expenses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As I learn more about the system, I am liking it more and more. There is not much to dislike about the software. I think it can be configured for many different purposes. I would suggest to set up time entries in a way that makes it simple for employees to follow and understand. But, I believe this is a task for the individual companies and not the BigTime software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set up the projects so that time entry is easy for employees to follow and understand. Too many line items on project tasks can be confusing for employees to select the right task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to track hours for different projects and task has been excellent. The software also allows us to submit expenses and it is easy to understand. We work with multiple different clients and the software allows us to track hour by hour which projects we are working on. There is also a function to track hours while the work is being performed, which is a nice feature. It has also been a nice way to track project expenses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Some of the reporting features and capabilities are very good if somewhat confusing.

The ability to enter time in either a grid or a per entry format is a nice feature.

The invoice WIP feature is pretty good Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The QB\job methodology vs the BT\Project is often confusing in how it handles QB clients who don't have jobs to start out.

It would be nice to see the ability to give indicators when projects are going over budget and where there is project data, consumed hours totals would be helpful rather than just dollars. Many project participants aren't privy to rates and or don't care.

It would be nice if there was a no charge option that showed up on the invoice vs a do not bill option; while we have created a work around, it is still confusing for some staff as they interpret that to mean "no charge", not "do not bill"

While BigTime is time & expense focused, it would be helpful to have at least a rudimentary items sales feature.

Customer terms should pull from QB and while an individual invoice or project may have unique terms that differ from the QB default, each invoice run should default back to the QB terms which BT doesn't pull (I have complained reported this)

The invoice WIP has a shortcoming if an staff member puts their entries under the wrong customer or project, correcting this issue is buried in the company staff member time tab.

Service contract management is very difficult in BT Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Negotiate a test environment that you can link to a test QB company for product evaluation and implementation planning.

Pay for the test environment and have you staff collaborate as a team to develop the method that works best for you.

Try to develop as much reporting as possible from within BigTime.

The API is functional but not intuitive and the documentation has holes in it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BigTime was supposed to help streamline out billing and expense management process; over time, our methodology for working with the product, billing delays have been reduced although initially, it added a day to the process.

Expenses were never really embraced and are used only for adding line items to customer billing rather than consultant expense tracking as intended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Hello Ben,

Big time has made tracking my expenses and work time sheets easy. I really like the choices to individually submit the different kinds of expenses without any hassle. The team has done a great job in developing and maintain the software to keep it free from any lags or connection problems even for the iPhone app version.

Thank you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It has been a great experience overall. It is just the app version does not indicate the status if the expenses have been submitted or approved. It would be great t add this feature to the app to make it a better version to stay updated in the phone app too. Making it an easier and friendly option to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is overall an easy app to work with. without requireing any help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy expense and time sheet tracking Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager / Administrative Assistant
What do you like best?

I really love their reporting options - So far I have been able to build a report for just about any information that I want to pull out. The Reports themselves are not super pretty, but since I can simply export to excel or word it is super easy to make it look the way I want after pulling out the information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that I have to refresh the page to get it to update. I imagine this is a side effect of it being a web based application - so far it is a minor annoyance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely a cost effective solution for project management with good reporting options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed to have something that was easily to accessible to staff where ever they are at - this seems to fit the bill. I also like that they don't nickel and dime us .....there is included support thru chat, webinars, and an app. No hidden fees for custom reports, using an app or just getting help/answers to questions. Implementation was a bumpy ride for us - part of that was 'Covid' - but I feel like they could use a little more work streamlining their process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

BigTime filled some huge gaps in our Accounting, Invoicing, and overall Project Management workflows. For us, the time tracking feature was just a bonus that let us drop Tsheets and save a little bit more money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I feel is really missing from BigTime is a true clock-in/clock-out feature. Employees have a timer that can be used to track their hours, but I don't think it tracks time of day or anything else. It would also be nice if there was a desktop application for superusers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

BigTime staff are very willing to work with you and give you a good deal on their software. Implementation can be as short as a month which is extremely fast compared to other solutions, but they don't force you into that timeframe. You get to schedule the time and date of each training session and invite whoever you want from the company to attend. I've had two different Success Reps, and both have been great. Ben has been more than helpful after Sam moved on from the company. Both were very accommodating to our company's needs though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest things for us were automatic invoice generation and Project Management. Up until we found BigTime we were manually creating invoices at the end of each month in Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat and emailing them to clients. As you can probably imagine, this was very tedious and time consuming. Sometimes I could take several days to get a whole months worth of invoices out the door. In BigTime you just do some initial setup for the different types of invoices you need and generating one just takes a few clicks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
What do you like best?

Integration with Quickbooks, overview dashboard, helpful training staff, personalized timesheet and reporting options, project management, invoicing, easy to use timesheets, multi tiered timesheet approval options, individualized oversight and permission options for staffing and project managers. Allocations, budgeting/tracking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of our early questions to technical support took some time to respond, but lately that turnaround has improved. Ideally the system would be more customizable than it is, yet is does have customizing options which is nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are currently doing project management manually or feel like you are working from an outdated system, this could be very helpful for you to add efficiency to your business, particularly if you have Quickbooks for accounting. If you are having trouble coordinating a group of employees and making sure they are staying on track and budget, this would be a useful program. The increase in efficiencies from management and budget tracking could alone pay for this program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Improved tracking and monitoring of employee performance and workflow. Streamlined new project entry and activation. Timesheet approval process. Automated reminders for overdue or coming due project deliverables. Labor hour tracking and income tracking and projections. Allocations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that the software is easy to learn and set up in a very short amount of time. It doesn't include all the complicated and unusable features of some billing softwares. It's very transparent and editable for the average office personnel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't experienced anything to dislike yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bigtime is a complete billing and project management software which is so very easy to set up. Forget the cumbersome, overcomplicated software that you need a year of training to run. Get back to actually managing your projects and billing with a software that is transparent, usable, and editable to your companies needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were using a very complicated billing software that so much extra training was needed just to use it efficiently. Our managers were so intimidated by our billing and project manager software that they really were not utilizing it. Bigtime is so very easy to set up so far. I'm looking forward to our management being able to utilize the reporting and making actual progress in the billing and project management for our company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Strategy Officer (CSO)
What do you like best?

We only have one month in so far, but we love the user interface. We also love the support! Ben, our client success rep has been so patient with us, his training is incredibly helpful and all the guidance he’s given us so far is on point! We can’t wait to get up and running as we know this tool will undoubtedly become a lifeline for Dills Architects! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far... very little. There are a couple of coding issues that need to be tweaked (minor view editing), but we have been told BigTime’s programmers really listen to end users and improve its platform based off of customer feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For years, we’ve not had accurate and/or real time data to make sound business decisions off of. BigTime is changing that! We’re expecting big things out of BigTime and it’s our hope that BigTime will become our #1 business intelligence tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

We were looking for a way to track time as well as have a system that integrates with our financial software.

It appears that this will be our solution! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As we would love to use Big Time in conjunction with our payroll system, it would nice if this software could allow logging the time of day in addition to just the total amount of hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As always, I recommend that you do extensive research before choosing a software. It is extremely important that you choose a software that is good for you and your company and that meets your needs.

That being said - so far - it seems that Big Time will be a success and will help our company immensely. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using Big Time to solve our problems and challenges we are having regarding time tracking against our budgets.

We are also using it to track our billable expenses and to then bill them out to the client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Investor-Advisor
What do you like best?

Compared to various other methods that I have noticed, BigTime has a user-friendly interface that is attractive to use. We can collect many data points to get an accurate picture of our activities and our time on each activity. BigTime has many reporting features that are fantastic for internal analysis and billing. BigTime's price tag is helpful. Access to BigTime is easy through an Internet browser, rather than downloading the application to our computer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

BigTime page sometimes loads for a very long time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a comfortable, flexible, and easy-to-use time tracking system, check out BigTime. Nevertheless, one should be aware that there is simply no self-help function, so the style is not strong enough to delay the start of nightly, tiring work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This allows me to monitor various projects and customers quickly. As long as I accompany you almost all morning, there is not much time for another problematic task! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best thing about BigTime is functionality. Developers of the software took the time to understand the customer's needs. It met all our needs plus so much more. They delivered what they promised and that means a lot to our company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The thing that I dislike the most is the price because it is not the cheapest product. With that said, you get what you pay for and I don't mind spending more on something that will actually meet our needs. Once we dove deeper into the software there are some trivial things that were not perfect, but nothing too perfect. No software is going to be perfect so I don't mind making some compromises on non-essential things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that BigTime meets your important needs and learn to improvise with the rest. Every software salesperson promises the world, but that is rarely what is delivered. Everything that BigTime discussed us with was delivered. Upon diving deeper into the product, there are a few things that are not perfectly how we would like them, but no software is perfect. We are happy with our choice, and making some concessions on the small things was not a problem because it did provide us with everything that was necessary. Very happy with our decision. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Streamlined project management and time entries based on tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

user-friendly, quick reports, sync tool with QB integrations

looking forward to the scheduling and ghant chart features

so fare so good with tracking WIP and keeping track of billables etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

invoice template settings - should have preview setting rather than going back and forth

More options to select for settings and to include a feature to add email and site location on the invoice on top versus in notes on the bottom.

gray scroll bar not easy to see

submit button should be a pop up or on top easy to miss no bottom

Need easier way to update change vendor invoice info when in invoicing (sometimes need tochange the amount and/or record actual hours) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Still learning how to use the product. Features are there but getting it ready for use is still taking time. More support help would be appreciated. Our Trainor Sylvia is doing great but there have been some hiccups that Support should have reached out to us directly. Mostly a sync question that was asked a few times. The problem seams to be fixed but still testing it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

helping with time, still learning and navigating but the changes are promising. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CPA, MST + Partner
What do you like best?

Being able to run reports to see the WIP - regardless of whether employees remembered to submit their time or not. You get a real-time work in process invoice as a project moves along.

I also really love how there is an app that employees can download to their phones. They can enter their time whether they are in the office or at a client’s location.

Anytime I’ve needed assistance, BigTime’s support chat has been extremely helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty syncing with QuickBooks desktop. We include invoices from our tax software when a tax return goes out the door, so we had difficulty with duplication. We decided to disconnect our accounting software and it runs much smoother now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We moved from a paper time-tracking system to an online version and it was seamless for everyone in the office - regardless of their tech abilities.

The benefit is being able to run a report at any time of the month to see whether our Billings are on track for the month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The time tracking functionality has the flexibility to track the hundreds of clients we work with every month. We're still working on implementing BigTime's project management and budget tracking functionality, but it sees to have a lot of the things that we would like from an admin/lead persepctive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's expensive for what we are currently doing with it.

It isn't always clear which features are included at which price point. Sometimes I find things in the BigTime knowledgebase and I'm not sure why I can't find them in my instance of BigTime.

It would be really nice if it integrated with Jira so that developers didn't need to track priorities and assignments in multiple places. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our previous timesheet system was terrible. We were importing .csv files into quickbooks with all of the associated errors and technical issues that accompany that. The biggest problem that it's currently solving for us was finding a modern timesheet system that integrated with quickbooks desktop. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Analyst
What do you like best?

Cloud-based and integrates with Quick Books pc. Simple for owners to start utilizing with assistance from our office. Many brief movies with user directions. The invoices are in one booklet with receipts included if they must be submitted to clients. At a glance, you are able to find out exactly how lucrative the job is. Lots of reporting options, I'm a brand-new user and I am still learning to work with all of the reporting choices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It will be great to simply click an entered time in a report and also have many entries in that particular month, populate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Absolutely register and finish each of the free instructions and onboarding sessions. Brannon was superb in understanding as well as persistent in getting us through the original onboarding and then the sophisticated reporting setup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BigTime is much better-tailored for our small business compared to almost all other software. We feel that it will be extremely advantageous for tracking our financial goals on each task and throughout our entire company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Laboratory Operations Manager
What do you like best?

The ability to list the prospects with names is extremely useful for staff analysis meetings. Many accounts can be extracted and filtered and sorted. For anyone who uses this feature to get the working status, it is seriously helpful. The functions of this unit are not used to max by my office, but they work for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I could not do much for the current Gantt chart structure, though I am sorry it could not like additional papers be shipped overseas to brilliance. The weakest connection with this particular unit is as effective as certainly. It is also difficult to fully participate in my bureau and prevents us from using it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Learn how the product is still being used. There are features but it still takes time to get ready for use. It would be appreciated for more assistance. Our trainer Sylvia does great, but support should reach us directly with a few hiccups. Most of the time a synchronous question was asked. The problem is fixed, but it still needs to be tested. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We solve workflow problems and project management that we have experienced using other software types. We also benefit from the integration of Quickbooks, since we used this for our software for years. Another software just could not integrate with Quickbooks the way we considered necessary it just like bigtime is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

In BT I liked:

- good, clean, beautiful, modern and responsive UI;

- overall stable work - I do not remember any issues related to stability of website or data durability;

- good functionality and integrations (for example with QuickBooks);

- flexible reports engine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We switched to BigTime from another widely used tools - Redmine, so some things I dislike existed in Redmine and do not exists here, for example:

- direct links to tasks where I can track time (instead I need to remember Project and Phase);

- separate processes and buttons to Submit and Approve times - I and other colleagues often forget after tracking time submit it;

- useless inital dashboard - I think better to show some role-based page (for example for employees tracking table and for approvers timesheet and so);

- no easy way to export data as I understood. There is a way to request data export via separate process via Support, but I expect something like menu button "Export my data to ..." Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We need our employees track time in convenient and timely manner, so we able to prepare invoices and bill clients.

As I mentioned above we used Redmine earlier and we decided to switch to BT to overcome problems that we collected over 8 years in Redmine usage:

- bunch of custom plugins for Redmine which supported by us - for example for employee rates per project;

- slow work - Redmine really slow even on high-end hardware (most likely because of ruby-based nature);

- integrations with other services like QuickBooks - we do not want to develop another Redmine plugin and then support it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's pretty user-friendly and navigation is self-explanatory. As a new hire at our company with very little training by other staff, I've found it fairly easy to catch on to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far a big issue has been with invoicing. I don't like that if invoices have been created with a particular subcategory on them, you can't delete the subcategory from the task list. It would be nice if there was at least an option to hide it from the invoice. In my case, a subcategory was created erroneously and several invoices were created with it on them. So when I started with the company and went to create an invoice under that job, I had to delete all of its old invoices and recreate them before I could create the new one correctly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We use it in conjunction with Excel spreadsheets for budget tracking. BigTime's budget tracking features could be more robust - it would be better if we were able to do more within the program but for now we have to use Excel as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

See above. Benefits are that it's been easy to learn how to navigate and use, and that the support team has been excellent so far. They are very quick to respond and have totally resolved my issues so far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AU
What do you like best?

It keeps project data at your fingertips with direct ties to Quick Books. I like that you can easily export data to a spreadsheet for custom analyses. The reporting section has the ability to build comprehensive reports as well as being able to select reporting levels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program is not very flexible in regard to customization. I have worked with numerous databases before and it's not very user-friendly. For example, I tried to add a new column in the Time/Expense module with drop down picks. Although you can add columns they are not customizable and I could not use it for my needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed to add a column for additional classification in the pay and expense module. Through contacting the help desk the second person who I contacted named Lina Z. was awesome and helped me with a work around in the using a detail field. She was very responsive and communicated clearly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr HR Consultant
What do you like best?

For staff analysis meetings, the capabilities to bring out work prospect lists with names are extremely handy. You can extract and filter many accounts as well as sort them from them. It's seriously handy for all those that utilize this feature to get the work status. My office doesn't utilize the functions of this unit to the max, but functions for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I couldn't make use of a lot of for probably the latest Gantt chart function, but I'm saddened that it can't be exported to excellence like additional papers. It is just as powerful as probably the weakest link with this particular unit. Full participation in my office is difficult as well as stops us from making complete use of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In Spring Ahead primary tasks have been tracked restrictly. They didn't offer mobile applications or perhaps invoicing skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Honestly, BigTime is great program for what anyone knows the way to work with a PC to do as well as is uncomplicated to make use of. We could observe a long time of tasks per individual to assist us estimate costs. I'm certain there are lots of excellent systems available, but while working with BigTime, I was thrilled with the responsibility of mine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.