DEAR Inventory Reviews & Product Details

DEAR Inventory Overview

What is DEAR Inventory?

With DEAR Inventory you can set automatic stock reorder points, perform adjustments and stay on top of all stock movements in your business.

DEAR Inventory Details

DEAR Inventory
2012
N/A
@DearInventory
781 Twitter followers
Answer a few questions to help the DEAR Inventory community
Have you used DEAR Inventory before?

DEAR Inventory Reviews

Showing 8 DEAR Inventory reviews
Already have DEAR Inventory?
What do you like best?

Implementation in our CMS was easy and works perfectly with the connected channel sales manager. Adding products by category group is easy and works also with the external handheld. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The dashboard sometimes shows different sales data - drafts will be added sometimes to the total amount, clearly that draft sums shoudn't be added to the total summary. Only barcode scans are allowed - rfid connection is weak. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Control of our inventory - from the sales and incoming products. Purchases can be tracked easily and also the shipping process can be controlled. Adding products to our inventory and warehouse with the handheld works perfectly in interaction with our channel manager and the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The pricing is fair, and the interface is really nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I've got few good things to say about DEAR, but more than enough negative. I've been at my company for 4 years, and we've had DEAR as long as I've been here. Speed has always been an issue, but lately it's been affecting us in more and more ways. As we've grown, the system has been less useful for our needs. In addition, they've been doing useless updates to the UI instead of actually improving the things that I've been having issues with. Last Friday, their whole system went down unannounced for 2 hours while we sat there twiddling our thumbs for that entire time. Our warehouse is entirely dependent on an inventory system, so we use it nearly constantly all day, every day. Needless to say, we went home an hour late that Friday which was enough to push me over the edge to write reviews on them. In addition to poor website "up-time", their customer support has been anything but helpful. They send robotic replies that do not address our issue directly, only reassuring us that something is being done to fix it. That sounds great, but the issues remain and further emails with support bring the same reply. They've had 4 years that I've used DEAR to fix their problems, and they haven't. I don't plan on holding my breath on something being done in the future either. I am currently really pushing to move to a new system. Keep in mind when you get this system, it is extraordinarily hard to change systems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Overall, not a good experience with DEAR. They don't have good customer relations, and they certainly do not have a good website or service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operations Manager
What do you like best?

I love that everything is linked. We recently had a huge shift in employment, and the person who ran most of operations and purchasing left. Thanks to dear literally tracking The supplier, the product, the sku in our system, the sku in the suppliers system, re-order levels and bill of materials on products, it is extremely easy to track and re-order products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some steps that I feel are excessive or unnecessary, but that could be as much my companie's fault for making those the processes as it is dears for allowing them. Steps that I find redundant are things like having to move the used materials through dear, even though a PO with the items bill of materials was already entered. Also, some functions do not link up and so create a bit of an extra work-around. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

While we are unable to track physical inventory in here to cross over to xero, this is an excellent place to try to track as accurately as possible the levels and movement of components and raw materials. We process all orders through here, and have it linked to xero for accounting. Somewhat usable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Online Sales Manager
What do you like best?

Stock system split with multiple locations. Automatic stock Integration with shopify is extremely handy. Full tractability with stock means you know exactly where everything has gone. Link to Stripe & Paypal means customers can pay for their invoices without needing to phone the company. Payments can be taken via an online portal.

Advanced purchases, sales means you can have multiple fulfilments (if you need to part ship). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program can be very clunky to use sometimes. With certain features not thought out well enough to be fully usable. Support does also not really seem to be interested in listening to/ fixing broken features. The production module is next to useless. You can only create a new production per product variant. Meaning for one order you could have 100's of production orders on. Trying to keep track of these is a nightmare. We opted to use the purchasing module as a makeshift alternative.

The most annoying aspect is that at times you have to undo orders if you need to make a change. Resulting in you having to re authorise any potential pick/ pack lists, invoice, shipping etc. It can take an hour to change something as simple as a price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilise the free trial as much as possible. Don't commit unless you have thoroughly tested all features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Integration with shopify is very useful. When you sell something on shopify it automatically takes stock out of your master stock list. Essential if you sell in multiple platforms, and require stock to be very accurate.

We have multiple warehouses. Tracking the inventory all in one place means we don't need two systems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operations Manager & Production Coordinator
Apparel & Fashion
What do you like best?

My favorite aspect of dear is that you can create a product from the ground up. You can first create the Sku, name it, say where it comes from, and then create a bill of materials attached straight to said product that is then easy to duplicate for other sizes or similar products. It makes creating a product extremely easy. Not only that, but I like that we are able to store our hard materials and ordering for those as well, so that ideally if we were using it 100% correctly it would pull from that material every time we processed a purchase order from production. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the communication between functions isn''t 100% or isn't clear. I've found myself spending a lot of time trying to adjust quantities of fabric being used. It's also not clear where the price is drawing from, so I often find myself running little tests in order to get the pricing per unit accurate. Also, we can't find a rhyme or reason to some of these pricing averages that dear computes. Another dislike is how easily messy dear can get if you let it get out of control. to the point where clean-up would be a headache. Once a company is a certain age and has had various users over the years, it can get pretty crazy. Having all the products so dependent on each other can get out of hand easily, and I often find myself in a maze of components and products. Not really so much dear's fault as our own, I know, but something worth pointing out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't take on dear unless your companie's processes and procedures are 100% down to a pat. It will get messy if you try to take on dear and don't have your back end figured out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I plan out my designs through dear and base my ordering of components on what dear tells me we have. We don't use it for hard inventory tracking (we have a separate platform for that, that no longer integrates with dear), but it is a great place to keep both final products as well as components and supply inventory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Inventory Systems Analyst
Food & Beverages
What do you like best?

DEAR seems to be able to do it all - It integrates with a number of platforms for shipping, eCommerce, accounting... And has different sections to allow businesses to customize it (though with limits) to their own needs. I use DEAR with Quickbooks and Shopify together. Having Shopify push all of our sales from our physical and online store is great, and DEAR captures these real time. There seem to be so many features in DEAR that I'm not using right now, though I could see the benefit for other business. They allow for inventory tracking, dynamic movement, sale tracking and fulfillment, purchase order placement and tracking, and even allows you to track assembly of products. They've recently lifted their 20,000 SKU limit on accounts.

The interface is fairly easy to use, especially for simple transactions (like product movement, sale fulfillment for in-stock items...). One major benefit of DEAR is the ability to limit the access that each user has to each section of DEAR - sensitive information doesn't need to be shared with everyone and items that can cause problems with the database can be set to view-only status.

Dear support is also quite good. Sometimes it takes some back-and-forth with the member of the support team to get them to understand the problem, but if there is a solution it's usually explained well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While DEAR does try to offer a lot of features, the ones that they have can be very limiting. As mentioned, we use Shopify to push sales to DEAR, however, DEAR uses its own labelling/numbering system so it can be very hard to track the specific sale. Additionally, as a safe-guard, DEAR does not let you undo a lot of actions. For example, a location that has been used to store a product will forever be in the system, even if it hasn't been used for years. While this prevents inconsistencies with the 'history' of a product/item, it can create a lot of confusion for users when logging locations or searching for products. Along this line as well, any product that was used in one way shape or form in the system cannot be deleted. So even if it was created or used by accident you're stuck with it there. DEAR is continually adding new features and refining the ones they have, but it can take a long time (even for popular requests) to get changes to the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Figure out what exact inventory processes you need in your business. Do you need to assemble products? Do you change your products from when they arrive to when they are sold? Do you need to keep track of expiry dates? Do you need purchase, storage and sale information on one platform? Do you need multiple people with regular access to the system? DEAR allows you to do all of these things in some capacity, but do thorough research first! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In most eCommerce platforms there's no sophisticated way to track inventory all the way from purchasing to storing to selling and shipping. DEAR helps manage a lot of that. Despite its shortcomings in some areas, it's allowed us to keep track of our frequently changing inventory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of navigation, intuitive UI, custom reporting tools Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Slow load times intermittently, a bit buggy on log in/log out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manage our in house inventory

Invoice/Sales Order Record Keeping

Revenue reporting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EM
What do you like best?

We have never looked back since we moved from an internal system - limited by long dev circles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love that they do even more integration with other products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing to control - orders and stock Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.