4.8

Payroll has never been easier. OnPay™ delivers a simple, modern and affordable solution for payroll.

Work for OnPay?

Learning about OnPay?

OnPay Reviews

Showing 76 OnPay reviews
Ben H.

"online payroll for this century"

What do you like best?

My experience with OnPay has been great so far. Full disclosure I have only been utilizing them for three months but I run payroll weekly for four different companies so I have had quite a bit of hands on time with the platform. The system is simple to use and easy to understand. After years with ADP and depending on what they claimed was a whole 'team' of individuals handling different aspects of our processing, I am able to knock it all out on my own using OnPay quickly and easily.

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of UX items that could be improved upon that they are aware of and state are in the works for release.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research - make sure the platform works well with your needs and expectations.

It has been great to have our hands directly on the raw processing steps while not having to worry about the complicated stuff like taxes.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about OnPay
Eric J.

"#1 Payroll System On The Market"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, price point and assistance from customer support. From the beginning the whole team has been extremely helpful. From giving free months to showing me their office + free tshirts, etc. You would think Onpay is charging a premium and not a couple dollars a month per user.

When I went to their office, the founder of the company was more than happy to take time out of his day to speak with me. I can't say that for the other payroll companies out there.

What do you dislike?

A few bugs but any time I noticed something the team fixed it immediately. No issues now.

They don't issue checks to employees so if one of them doesn't have a bank account you have to write one manually for them. This could be an issue for some companies. We initially had one employee that had fraud on their account and temporarily didn't have a bank account but he does now. Everyone is on direct deposit.

Payroll was required for us however, for a startup, budget is limited. It has allowed us to spend more in revenue producing items instead of operations, which in turn increases our ROI. They also offer assistance with tax reporting including tax credit assistance.

I was skeptical at first but they've proven to be a valuable asset to our organization. Also they have a benefits team that has been extremely easy to work with.

What Payroll solution do you use?

David P.

"Great solution among so many others!"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of onboarding a client (or simply adding a business to Onpay). It takes a minimal amount of information and time compared to other payroll software I've used, tried to use, or have researched.

What do you dislike?

The ONLY issue I've run into, are some browser issues when onboarding client employees. On the positive side here, Onpay is one of the few payroll company's I have experienced that's really seeking to integrate this process effectively into their payroll. There's some bumps in the road here, but in my interaction with Onpay, they are very responsive and committed to making this a good experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Onpay and can't say enough great things about them! I stumble upon Onpay through a facebook conversation just as I was looking for a solution to fit a need I had, which I mentioned 4-5 other payroll softwares couldn't handle at all or simply enough for me without mega support from the company. Onpay has far exceeded my expectations and I want to partner with them in anyway I can for my client's payroll needs and anyone else looking for a payroll software!

The main reason I looked into Onpay, was the lack in other payroll software to map pay items to specific accounts within Quickbooks Online AND to a specific QBO class and location. 3 or 4 other payroll companies promised this functionality, but got stalled in the process because they did not really do this, or the process was so controlled and cumbersome, I ended up bailing before wasting any more of my time. I was cautious when another payroll company said they could do this, but after several conversations, demo and testing the product, Onpay has made this simple, functional and has provided incredible support along the way. There's a learning curve at first, but it was a short one thanks to their thoughtful approach to creating their software!

Sylvie H.

"The best system for your payroll"

What do you like best?

I started a business and my first payroll I had one employee. When I had to pay her, I had not figure out how I was going to pay her. I was using Quickbooks and found it so confusing, I figure there had to be something easier to use and I found OnPay right away. Payroll was due in 3 days. The whole site and the way it is set up is so easy to use. I talk about OnPay all the time to new and small business owners just like me.

What do you dislike?

Some of the intricate of payroll can be confusing but the team is always there to answer questions

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look into the benefits and price that OnPay offers and compared it to other Payroll specialists. You will be surprise by the saving and the ease of use.

I have been able to implement the sick pay that the city of Chicago put in place. Again, this was sudden and I had to make sure everyone was going to be able to get that benefit and I did not want to have to figure it out. OnPay has a section for that sort of benefit so it was easy to set up with the help of the staff at OnPay.

John B.

"Fantastic Payroll Company"

What do you like best?

I have used the service for almost 3 years, and would highly recommend it. My payroll differs every pay period, and OnPay makes it a basic fill in the blanks exercise. The portal is very easy to grasp from day one. And anytime I have questions, the online chat people are very responsive and knowledgeable, even if it is a highly technical payroll question (ie, it is not just tech people - they know payroll very well). They know their stuff. I have recommended them in the past to others and am happy to recommend them here.

What do you dislike?

It is set up for employees, and only now are they making it useful for paying independent contractors. I wish that had been included a while ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It does payroll, and it does it very well. Highly recommended.

There is no way I could do payroll on my own without a service like this. I tested a few different services and read a few reviews, and found that OnPay was the easiest to handle by myself (knowing that I had little background knowledge on running payroll).

Jay T.

"OnPay saves time and money"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of being able to simply enter weekly employee times and OnPay literally takes care of everything else. I don't have to worry about quarterly or annual payroll tax reporting at all. I have never had any major issues and only had a few questions during setup and initial use due to being a novice when it came to running a payroll.

What do you dislike?

There is somewhat of a learning curve to the payroll process and reporting but I suspect it is easier than some other programs

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I did a lot of research and found OnPay to be the most reasonable priced payroll company and they have always answered any questions within a few minutes.

Saving huge amounts of time and stress filing tax and employee reports leaves me more time to build my business.

Jasha C.

"Easy and it works"

What do you like best?

Weekly pay reminders, and the interface is really easy to use. Onpay keeps track of the taxes and pays them on time.

What do you dislike?

The set up was not real straight forward, but wasn't too hard. Tech support is super.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I really like the software, and it sure beats doing it yourself, or paying an accountant to do it, especially if you have few employees (like myself).

I really like that the state and federal taxes and medicare are all handled by OnPay. I just wouldn't want to spend time to figure all that out and keep track of it.

They handle all the paperwork with regard to payroll and all the various deductions that must be taken. It saves me a bunch of time as a sole proprietor.

My employee loves that OnPay can split the pay so that part goes into her savings account and part to her checking. She likes getting notification that she's been paid every Monday.

Rieko T.

"Simple, and great payroll service"

What do you like best?

For a small business like us, it is important to have a cost effective service. OnPay meets all the criteria of what we are looking for! The customer support is readily available, and very helpful.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing we don't like about OnPay. You are the best!!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a simple and convenient payroll company, OnPay is your number one choice!

We had some challenge setting up tax payment, but it has resolved in no time with OnPay's help. The chat and email communication cuts our time and avoid missed phone calls. It is the way to go!

UA
User in Accounting

"Truly awful customer service to a client - will never refer again"

What do you like best?

OnPay started out great. The integration was easy and free though it took quite awhile and the instructions were not clear in some areas. Pricing is good.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a little clunky, startup was confusing as they kept sending "ready to run payroll" messages even though they did not have the account complete. However today a client made a simple mistake and sent her payroll through twice. She emailed OnPay to notify them of the problem. The CSR Milton who called her back was horribly rude, unwilling to help and even went as far as to laugh at my client. I was the one that referred OnPay to them and I am now in the process of moving them to another payroll company immediately. I will also move my other clients away from OnPay and never refer them again.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Customer service is truly terrible. Milton mocked my client during a business call - extremely unprofessional.

Decent payroll service for good price but unfortunately the ugly customer service ruins any benefit they may provide.

Annie E.

"Great payroll service for my small business"

What do you like best?

We decided to go with OnPay after a negative experience with a PEO. We still wanted to find a solution with outside support for payroll and benefits, but we wanted the flexibility of customizing the product to fit our needs. I love the fee structure with OnPay. It's simple and clear with no hidden fees.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a PTO service for my employees to submit their requests and management approve which automatically integrated into the payroll system. It's manual for now, but I hear it might be in the works as a future service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would absolutely recommend OnPay. I would suggest taking advantage of their support team. They are always helpful and do a great job of walking me through processes. Whether it was adding a payroll deduction category or setting up direct deposit for my employees, everything is clear and simple. OnPay is an extremely user friendly platform.

I don't need a dedicated employee internally doing administrative payroll tasks. OnPay is very user-friendly and once I was set up, all I have to do is go in and click approve once every two weeks. I'm able to have a comprehensive payroll solution without any administrative work internally. They also helped us find a small business health insurance plan and I can do payroll deductions directly through their platform.

David B.

"Awesome customer service!"

What do you like best?

OnPay is easy to use but if you ever do come across something that you can't figure out their customer service is par-none! The online chat style help is usually more than enough but if that doesn't work there is a full service help desk behind the scenes available via email and the follow up and responsiveness is excellent!

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. The reporting can be a bit tricky to figure out but that is idiosyncratic.

Fast, easy to use payroll - takes no time to input and the price point,especially given their customer service, is amazing.

Bob D.

"Excellent Company"

What do you like best?

Excellent customer service, always friendly and helpful whenever I call with questions, the software is extremely easy to use and it works great!I I have now been with Onpay for a number of years now. I could not be happier and I have no plans to leave. I was previously with another company that I paid to have my payroll processed with and I now work directly with Onpay who performs the exact same service for me at a fraction of the cost.

What do you dislike?

I have no real complaints, but if I had to complain about something I guess it would be that I wish my direct deposit could be processed the next business day instead of two business days, However, this is not really a complaint because I just simply process my payroll one day earlier instead so it's not really an issue. Great company! great value and I would highly recommend you take a closer look at Onpay as you will be glad if you did.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product! very friendly and knowledgeable customer service department, meets all my payroll needs.

I love the fact that all my state and federal taxes are filed on time accurately and they guarantee this benefit. This takes a lot of pressure off of me and allows me to focus on my business.

"Vice President"

What do you like best?

The ease of being able to go in and take care of our payroll no matter what location I am at. It is also very easy to be able to print reports on demand. My staff really likes the option to be able to login to their own payroll file to see their payroll stub, print tax forms, and reports.

What do you dislike?

The on demand payroll is a bit confusing as it does not provide you the list of your employees to choose from. It isn't an intuitive feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it

It takes me less time to process payroll using on pay. I find it very easy to process payroll and add new employees. My time is extremely limited and I need a payroll service that saves me time.

Jeannette W.

"Perfect Payroll Partner for Small Business"

What do you like best?

OnPay's customer service is incredible. We just processed our first payroll and they reached out to me more than our previous provider had done in 6 months. They even caught an error I had made and offered to fix it for me.

What do you dislike?

There were a couple of items that were not intuitive in the setup, but I was able to get help immediately. Mainly understanding how to add employees and where I needed to put the information for their direct deposit.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are self-managing your payroll, OnPay is perfect for your small business.

Managing my company's payroll when I know nothing about withholding, taxes, etc. They make it painlessly and so easy. The online system is very intuitive! I now have much more confidence in managing the payroll.

Janet R.

"OnPay is a great asset to our company."

What do you like best?

On pay is so easy to you/user friendly. If I ever have any issues the online chat service is quick to respond and help. Everyone is always knowledgeable and helpful.

What do you dislike?

The way it saves things automatically takes some getting use to. The only other issues we have had with it is the Quickbooks integration. It has been a hard to get that figured out at times. Setting up new accounts to map correctly doesn't always work properly and I have to go back into quickbooks and redo it manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great tool, I definitely recommend it for the money.

OnPay makes payroll so fast and easy. We input the hours, new employees, direct deposit etc with ease. Saves time which save money. The direct deposit service is fantastic and a great value.

Kathy M.

"Great customer service! Accurate and great quality work"

What do you like best?

I can trust OnPay to complete our payroll accurately and on time

What do you dislike?

I love everything about this service; it is great!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use OnPay and have confidence that your payroll is accurate and well managed. Customer service is excellent, online chat is available, tickets can be submitted for more formal help, their staff is very knowledgeable and provides excellent information to help you manage the complexities of payroll and taxes.

Saves me time and money. I do not have to hire staff with knowledge and experience in running payroll

Mark S.

"Perfect Payroll Solution for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

OnPay makes my job a lot easier. They do all the calculations, filings, payments and reporting for me, all for an incredibly reasonable monthly fee. When I have an issue or question their online chat function comes in very handy.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that the notification emails they send to remind me of upcoming payruns don't always come on the exact right day because they don't take into consideration bank holidays. So I simply create calendar events as reminders.

OnPay saves me time, headaches and money. The payrun inputting process is simple. They handle both state and federal tax filings for me and even issue W2s to my employees. Plus they provide an array of reports that make Workers' Comp audits, for example, quick and easy.

Ron T.

"Overall excellent service and the software definitely meets my needs"

What do you like best?

Whenever I have had a question, I have gotten prompt help and gotten things figured out.

What do you dislike?

Some of the layout of menus has been slightly annoying and maybe overdone with how things "pop in and out" based on what you click on or are hovering over.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for small business owners. Fairly simple but complete and great support.

I'm a small business owner and having the tax aspects of payroll taken care of and paid directly and having all of the reports I need is a huge help.

C. Douglas S.

"Brilliantly Fast Setup, and Even Faster Payroll Runs"

What do you like best?

OnPay was very easy to setup and their customer service has been quick to help with questions and a few customization needs. The interface is clean and easy to use, so much so that I get nervous I have forgotten something. It just can't be this easy to run payroll!

What do you dislike?

There really aren't any features that I don't like. I would love to have a reminder of when payroll needs to be run but that is hardly a complaint. The connection between the bank and the OnPay system was easy on the OnPay side but the bank seemed a little on the wonky side. In the end, we got that settled.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are quite a few products out there for payroll, but OnPay was fast for us to setup and having everything cloud based allows us to manage payroll just about anywhere.

We are a small startup that OnPay has allowed to setup a robust payroll system. The application works to scale. We hope to move into Benefits Administration in 2018. Our biggest challenge is that we are business guys working in craft beverages. We just don't know that much about HR and payroll but OnPay ensures we get our folks paid and our taxes filed on time.

Ebitari Isoun L.

"Extremely good application with exceptional customer support"

What do you like best?

I'm a small business and I've been with OnPay for 2 years now. I find the application to be very straight forward to use. But probably what is greatest about OnPay is their customer support. I have spoken to someone perhaps once but mostly, I can solve all my problems through an online chat experience. Highly recommend OnPay to any business.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I like everything about OnPay. The only thing was that I didn't use it much this year and still paid for it. It would be nice to be able to take a break and not lose all my data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Payroll for staff and contractors.

Heather C.

"Great Little Payroll Servicd"

What do you like best?

OnPay may be an inexpensive payroll option, but the quality is first rate. As a bookkeeper I have use the service for several clients for several years. I love the reporting options - very flexible and easy to follow. And the customer service -both via phone and chat - is excellent! I've also been impressed with how much flexibility there is in the system. I really don't feel like I'm sacrificing ability or service. And in many ways I find the experience better than with ADP or Paychex, especially when problems arise they are solved quickly and correctly.

What do you dislike?

I get frustrated sometimes finding information and using the website to do something new.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend small businesses to compare not only the oars it the functionality of OnPay to other services. I have found it as good or better than more expensive options.

OnPay is affordable for my clients and easy to run payroll with flexible reporting options.

Steven P.

"SOPA Satisfied Customer"

What do you like best?

Staff response quickly. The software is easy to use. Staff and taxes are easy to manage. Their direct deposit feature makes processing payroll a breeze. For my staff that works the same hours every week, the self populating makes it simple.

What do you dislike?

Not multiple options for check layout printing. Also the page styling changes often right when I get used to the last one, and sometimes contain a few bugs when this happens.

Solving the human error from sending payroll accurately and on time.

Stacy M.

"OnPay is Awesome"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Instant chat help. Easy to understand dashboard

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Everything works smoothly and is intutive

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's very easy to use and if you do have a question the instant chat is very helpful. You dont have to stop and wait for a response from a help desk.

I can easily do payroll myself and I dont have to pay someone else to do it.

Amy M.

"Lifesaver "

What do you like best?

The ease of the website - it's so easy to use.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike. Maybe that if I happen to split my run that taxes be one big total vs every time i complete a run but it isn't a big deal either.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use, friendly, no headaches or nightmares - one of my favorite websites to use and I get excited to run payroll. :)

Our tax payments are being paid - I no longer have to double check to make sure. My last company (intuit) stopped paying them or would miss a quarter - I would get no notification. I realized payroll doesn't have to be scary.

Liz M.

"Great experience with OnPay for my business"

What do you like best?

Great customer service. Easy to use. Easy for my employees to enter in their information. Easy to understand website. Always someone available to speak with.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Everything has been great and all employees have been helpful.

OnPay provides me with an easy way to pay my employees. It takes just a few minutes to process payment. They also have been very responsive in answering my questions, walking me through their navigation system, and have given me direct access to real people who inform me of how to make disability payments and workers comp requirements for my employees.

Learn more about OnPay

OnPay Videos

Learning about OnPay?

* We monitor all OnPay reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
4.8