3.9

Open source web chat platform. From group messages and video calls all the way to help desk killer features.

Work for Rocket.Chat?

Learning about Rocket.Chat?

Rocket.Chat Reviews

Ask Rocket.Chat a Question
Showing 83 Rocket.Chat reviews
Rocket.Chat review by Hellen M.
Hellen M.

"Merits and Cons of using Rocket.Chat for almost three years. "

What do you like best?

To cut the long story short, I need you'all to know that I like everything about Rocket.Chat.

First of all, I like how Rocket.Chat integrates with a wide array of outside apps such as Jira.

Rocket.Chat has both mobile and web applications, but I like using mobile app since it is a bit straightforward to work with unlike the other one.

Rocket.Chat can be customized to satisfy varying requirements such as file sharing and video conferencing.

What do you dislike?

Like I said earlier, I like everything about Rocket.Chat, thus I cannot find any definate reason to dislike it at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Automatically yes.

The main advantage ia file sharing in one centralized place.

Rocket.Chat allows me to communicate with friends, family members and team mates via audio calls, live chat, and video conferencing.

Rocket.Chat has reduced the time we carry out physical meetings since this app has all the capabilities that allows multipe users to communicate via video and audio calls.

Messaging 1:1 and on groups.

Task management.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Rocket.Chat
Rocket.Chat review by Reginah W.
Reginah W.

"My great adventure with the best internal communication and video conferencing software."

What do you like best?

Rocket.Chat makes my teams to collaborate seamlessly when performing tasks and projects thus yielding high productivity.

It's possible to share files with teams and also present work through screen sharing.

I like the ability of this software to send fast instant messages.

This sodt tend to be very easy to use as it's designed well to be user-friendly.

I like the ability to conduct and join online meetings with video conferencing.

Has great mobility support thus making it more flexible,portable and accessible.

What do you dislike?

This software has many robust features that requires excellent internet connectivity to run properly and these features includes making high quality audio and video calls,sharing of large files etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend other organization to give this software a free trial to see if it will suit best all their needs for internal communication and live chats.

Enhance great internal communication by making communication faster among teams and colleagues.

Enhances great team collaboration when managing tasks.

Video conferencing.

Availability of live chats.

What Internal Communications solution do you use?

Rocket.Chat review by Farah W.
Farah W.

"not slack but close"

What do you like best?

my company made the switch to rocket chat from slack to avoid fees for archived and old messages. We needed our messages not to expire after a certain amount of time, and slack requires a premium subscription for that feature. as a small company, we couldn't afford that. So I like that it's accessible to smaller businesses.

What do you dislike?

the mobile app is hard to use. There's no mobile option to add members to a channel, and it's hard to mark your message as unread to save it for later. I don't like that users can't specify what their job title is in their user profile. This makes it difficult to keep track of colleagues across a big network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

desktop UX is better, mobile app needs work

My wide network of remote colleagues uses Rocket Chat and the biggest benefit is that messages remain intact instead of expiring like on slack.

Rocket.Chat review by Gleb B.
Gleb B.

"The best chat decision for in-office use"

What do you like best?

- very flexible configuration system - you can do whatever you want;

- wide opportunities for channels management;

- every change could be rolled back to default value;

- easy to install on server;

- stable working without any bugs (i couldn't found).

What do you dislike?

- not so easy to navigate in interface and settings;

- poor-adapted english-russian translation;

- no way to export and import server chat-data (only full server backup) for the cases, when user wants to reinstall chat, for example.

- could not found at least a base manual for the settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A promising and interesting product that is worth trying

I got a task: create a chat, where will be some people who works in our office, divided by groups, and they will need to speak to their leaders, but they most not speak to each other. Also, my bosses need to see all conversations.

Rocket.Chat review by Shamin A.
Shamin A.

"Chat with RocketChat"

What do you like best?

The best feature is it's ALMOST free (for 1000 people) which is pretty helpful for many companies. For example, there are around 400 employees where I work.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I can't have a preview of the source file I send to someone. Suppose, I sent a *.java file to someone, I would have loved to have an editable preview of this file which will prevent me from downloading the file to have a look at it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an unlimited number of messaging with a team of totalling 1000 people or few, go for it. You won't regret !

I have deployed RocketChat locally here at my company. We are developing an ERP system for the company and we need to do many REQUIREMENT ANALYSIS in many departments. This deployment is for the purposes of communication between several departments if there's any need.

Rocket.Chat review by Joan N.
Joan N.

"An excellent internal communication and live Chat software."

What do you like best?

Am delighted to have the privilege to use this best internal communication and live Chatting software and one thing that impresses me more is the simplicity to use it without need of training.

In like the ability to conduct and join online meetings with this software video conferencing and audio calls features.

This software bring all things under one roof thus teams can collaborate and engages effectively on tasks and projects.

I like the ease of screen sharing as it makes every workflows processes easier.

Has a great mobility support.

What do you dislike?

Has alot of bandwidth usage as most of it's features relies greatly on internet connectivity.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this software strongly because we have witnessed alot of benefits thus it worth having and using.

Video and audio conferencing.

Live chatting.

Internal communication thus communication within and outside is fast.

Rocket.Chat review by Aminda C.
Aminda C.

"So close but with a few caveats"

What do you like best?

We love the flexibility. As a small growing company the ability to add on new people as we grow, without worrying about outrageous upgrade costs. the interface is simple.

What do you dislike?

Updates can cause significant interference with workflow. The search function is lacking, it would be nice to be able to toggle between channel and global searches. (maybe there is a way but we haven't found it yet?) but the one thing that keeps me from loving this is the lack of followup notifications.

RC is necessary for our business. I can't imagine trying to function without keeping us all connected especially with our remote employees. My favorite most recent addition was adding a Zappier that updates a social media channel with mentions. That has helped us really interact with our community!

Rocket.Chat review by Alice W.
Alice W.

"Let's skyrocket internal communications in our organizations with Rocket.Chat "

What do you like best?

Nothing is perfect in internal communications like Rocket.Chat.

I have been using Rocket.Chat for almost two years and I like the way it has been good all the way till now.

I like that Rocket.Chat has lots of features in one central place.

It can be customized to satisfy lots of needs such as video conferencing and internal communications.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat has had no identifiable flaws for the duration that i have been utilizing it to communicate with peers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it to everyone as long as they have internet-enabled devices like PCs, Tablets and Smartphones.

Internal communications in our company is enhanced by Rocket.Chat.

I use Rocket.Chat to share files and docs via private and company group.

Online meetings is another benefit since we hardly incur transport or physical costs.

Rocket.Chat review by User

"Rocket.Chat connects teams in our corporation in one workspace"

What do you like best?

What I like most is the availability of live chat features that enables us to undertake in-app messaging, lead development and conversation archiving.

I like how Rocket.Chat integrates with lots of applications like GitLab and Telegram.

Finally, I appreciate how I am now able to share desktop screen with the rest of users in a given corporate conference.

What do you dislike?

For the two years + that I have been using Rocket.Chat, I have never experienced even a slight issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest to make sure they understand their internal communications requirements before they invest in Rocket.Chat.

Rocket.Chat makes it easy to share files.

With Rocket.Chat, we are able to save time and money while carrying out web conferencing since it has robust video conferencing features.

Rocket.Chat review by Zachary M.
Zachary M.

"Rocket Chat is the best chat tool that every organization needs."

What do you like best?

The most part I love about Rocket Chat is that you can easily install it on you own local servers whereby you don't need someone else to do it for you.

It has been a great tool for collaboration and communication internally.

I also like that you can create ultimate number of groups.

What do you dislike?

We have to open the file attachment window to open a file since we cannot drag and drop files in the group chat.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I would urge every organization to give this tool a try.

Rocket Chat has made us improved in many ways...

An glad because I can discuss with my group concerning the ongoing projects without visiting each and every employee working on the same project.

Rocket.Chat review by Gedion M.
Gedion M.

"For effective live chats and internal collaboration Rocket.Chat is the way to go."

What do you like best?

I like how it easy to live chat using this software thus bringing everything lively.

Audio and video calls are fast to make this enhancing fast communication.

I like how it easy to get started with this software as it has a simple interface that is easy to navigate and customize.

Screen sharing is possible thus easy to present.

I like how it's easy to share and collaborate on files and documents.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat rely greatly on internet connectivity thus the quality of calls can be as better as the connectivity

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this software to others for internal communication and live chats purposes.

Audio and video conferencing.

Live chats.

Facilitates internal communication.

Team collaboration thus ease of managing tasks.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"A good chat system for our internal communications"

What do you like best?

Web based so our users don't need to install a client. Able to integrate authentication to rocket chat from our web based software. Bot capabilities enabling us to integrate alerts and interaction into our internal software.

What do you dislike?

Took us a while to figure out why our logging into rocket chat was slowing down so much. After lots of trial and error and other research , figured out we need to manually clear our the tokens so it doesn't get extremely bogged down.

Also there was an auto installed update that completely broke the hubbot for us. Was a disruption for our business. We ended up having to install the server a different way so we could roll back to and older version of rocket chat in order to get it to work again.

We don't auto update anymore due to several occurrences where it auto updated and broke things and ended up disrupting our business.

use for instant messaging between our users, using bot to integrate into our software for notifications

Rocket.Chat review by Alec K.
Alec K.

"Great chat software, limited security due to AWS servers"

What do you like best?

RocketChat doesn't have too many extras and it almost works offline. I.e. you can read and post messages even when offline. The cheerful interface is a welcome departure from low contrast "modern" design.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat is a Brazilian company. One would think you would be safe from the endless spyware of American providers (American tech companies are legally obliged to spy on you and barred from telling you about it by law). But no Rocket.Chat instead of hosting their chat independently on servers in neutral countries decided to build their infrastructure on AWS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Self-host unfortunately, as the Rocket.Chat corporate hosting is now on AWS which means zero security for you and your company. You may as well post Facebook instant messages to one another.

Rocket.Chat gave us low maintenance high quality chat at a single monthly fee and reduced our dependence on our primary intranet provider. Sometimes we used LiveChat on our website. We were happy with it.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"The free team chat and productivity booster"

What do you like best?

Rocket.Chat provides teams with a way to co-ordinate and disseminate information without the noise created by email. By using Rocket.Chat, answers can be obtained and decisions can be reached immediately or in minutes by reaching out to the relevant parties, instead of first scheduling a meeting, inviting multiple parties (often very many not even concerned with the issue at hand) and trying to find a suitable time to bring everyone to the same place, where the actual issue is usually buried beneath many others. Rocket.Chat helps cut through the noise by providing focused discussions.

UPDATE - 15 May 2019

I just had to add an update to this review as we have just upgraded to Rocket.Chat 1.0 which brings cool new features, including threaded replies and discussions. These are things I haven't exactly missed, as the existing features were good enough, but I have sometimes thought they would be nice to have. Having started using them, I think that we will be using them very much going forward!

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat still needs an easy means to start ad-hoc private conversations between a group of individuals, the way that Skype allows you to do. Currently, you have to start a new private group and invite a list of individuals. It does not have the simplicity of starting a private group chat that simply involves selecting a number of individuals and sending a message to them.

Another small niggle is that, when replying to a message, the user's IDs are shown on the original message instead of their names. When the IDs are based on numbers, this becomes a little confusing as you may not know who sent the original message (although you still see the user avatar, which helps if they have set one).

Recommendations to others considering the product

For ease of installation, use the snap package provided with Ubuntu. It is the easiest way to install and maintain the application and you receive automatic updates.

Rocket.Chat saves time that would be spent on pointless meetings. With Rocket.Chat, people can focus on their deliverables and be involved only in the discussions that are relevant to them.

Our team, for example, uses Rocket.Chat to do our daily stand-ups, where we share what we are working on. Previously, this required everyone to be in the same place at the same time. With Rocket.Chat, we can share this information without the need for this, and a stand-up does not need to interfere with anyone's work.

In using Rocket.Chat, we have found that adopting a team chat solution involves a great mind shift and cultural shift. The best value from such a solution is derived from keeping chats "in the open", i.e. using public forums so that different teams and managers can easily see, without querying individuals, what is happening on the ground. However, this requires a level of trust, especially in a large organization, that is not always present. That trust has to be established between individuals and teams in order to get the best benefit out of the product.

Rocket.Chat review by Consultant

"Best Features of Rocket CHat"

What do you like best?

The easy integration of Rocket Chat in the Front End Web Application, the scalability of the APIs and the easy use for implementing some features as sending multimedia imformation. Rocket chat offers you the possibility of creating many channels for sending information . You can also add users with different roles to each channels. It is posible to send voice information . One of the main advantages of ROcket Chat for developers is the possibility of customizing the software depending on what he needs. The wide API available in the Rocket Chat server can be used for sending all kind of information to the Rocket Chat server, as multimedia information or text information . Ohter advantage is that it is continously being improved. In fact, there are branches which are always being developed and new features are being implemented in the Rocket Chat server. Finally it has avalilable the iFrameIntegration , Real Time Api and GraphQL API. They also cam be modifien on code

What do you dislike?

In some parts of the Project there is too much documentation and it is not well explained how to use some features as inserting multimedia information and send some messages to the server

Recommendations to others considering the product

Rocket Chat is a very useful tool for sending text information in a Web application and Multimedia information to all the elements

I am using Rocket Chat for sending text and multimedia inofrmation in a server which receives continuously information in a reactive way

Rocket.Chat review by Adrian Z.
Adrian Z.

"Good tool, highly configurable, but still requires some improvements"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use yet highly customizable. I really like how it can be configured. The customer support is also nice and helpful. I also like how the access rights management is organized and the pre-defined roles. It's also easy to create new roles - I never used it but I'm glad that it's there in case when I need it.

What do you dislike?

The mobile application is not that good. It's limited in comparison to the web version and it has some bugs. The web version also has some bugs that should be fixed. I had a nasty bug that I couldn't add new credit card or remove the old, expired one. However, it was solved by the support team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn more about the different features of Rocket.Chat. Add your own bot, custom emoticons, create different access roles etc. If you spend some time on configuration and play with the tool, you'll find that there are really nice features hidden there:)

It's our main internal communication tool. Every employee has it so it's easy for people to reach appropriate people. We use it also as a collaboration tool for the projects we conduct.

Rocket.Chat review by Markus F.
Markus F.

"Awsome project and nice alternative to Slack"

What do you like best?

We use rocket.chat for our department. Thereby we run a self-hosted instance in our own kybernetes. Installation was super easy. File sharing, video chat, and of course instance messaging are a driver of our daily business life.

What do you dislike?

One could improve the notification mechanism. Currently, I get an e-mail, smartphone push notification, and a desktop notification whenever there is a new message. Doesn't matter if I already read the message on one of the mentioned devices.

We use rocket.chat for our internal communication. Thereby we use basically all the available features like file sharing, video conferencing, polls, and instant messaging. We also use guest accounts to integrate external partners in certain channels.

Rocket.Chat review by Lilian W.
Lilian W.

"Let's undertake Video Conferencing with Rocket.Chat"

What do you like best?

Let me start by analyzing my overall experience with Rocket.Chat:

I have been using Rocket.Chat for almost 9 months now and I like how it makes it to chat with colleagues and friends.

I like because it ia easy to install from play store and app store for Androind and Mac users.

Finally, i like the fact that Rocket.Chat has all the features for internal communications in one place.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat is all good and perfect, but some folks hardly use it hence I find myself utilizing other video conferencing apps whenever in need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, and encourage others to install Rocket.Chat on their devices.

Video conferencing

Internal communication

File sharing.

Rocket.Chat review by Gladwell N.
Gladwell N.

"Rocket.Chat is a must have for internal communications "

What do you like best?

What I like most about Rocket.Chat ia the ability to create communication channels in one place.

I like how Rocket.Chat integrates with lots of applications and APIs.

Ease of customizing Rocket.Chat is another thing that I like most about Rocket.Chat.

In addition, Rocket.Chat has tona of features in one place that makes it a complete app.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike even a single thing about Rocket.Chat since it meets all my internal communication desires.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Automatically yes.

I utilize Rocket.Chat on a daily basis to handle all internal communications.

Rocket.Chat makes it easy to send files of all sorts such as URL and Pdfs.

Rocket.Chat review by Sandeep K.
Sandeep K.

"Best chat tool for organizations "

What do you like best?

User interface is very user friendly. I can use Rocket chat for direct communication as well as group chats. Also it is an open source product. I can connect with my colleges even when not in office. I can open it in web browser as well.

What do you dislike?

We cannot drag and drop image in a chat room. Also sometimes it hangs. But I don't find anything else to dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend others to give it a try and they will love it.

I can discuss about my projects and problems faced during the development phase as well as testing phase.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"Like Slack but WAY better!"

What do you like best?

Simple setup and cross platform makes it a win. Then add to that the super low cost to use it and not run out of storage is fantastic. Working on transitioning the entire team to Rocket Chat now.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I haven't figured out how to do, and maybe it can't do it, is to do audio calls and screensharing. This is something we used it Slack quite frequently but have alternative tools to fill the bill until it can be baked into Rocket Chat

We aren't really solving problems other than the imposed restrictions we are hitting with Slack in terms of storage. Rocket Chat is saving us money on the cost of the system while providing a much larger amount of storage capacity.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Free, but slightly buggy version of Slack"

What do you like best?

It's free and has a desktop app as well as a mobile app. It's similar to Slack but for some reason, less intimidating.

What do you dislike?

There are some bugs w/ it, e.g. # of unread messages not showing on the icon, sometimes the messages still show as unread even after seeing them (w/ no way of actually manually marking them as read)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're fine w/ slightly buggy as long as it's free, it's an okay tool. I just try to make sure I keep my earphones in so that I can hear the notification sounds and use that to keep track of whether there are messages I need to pay attention to or not.

Communication w/ teammates on projects or general office updates/news or private messages only involving particular parties; sending links to videos, articles, yelp places (for company lunch), or bitbucket repos

Rocket.Chat review by James M.
James M.

"Rocket.Chat advances internal communications in our corporation"

What do you like best?

Downloading and installing Rocket.Chat on any device auch as smartphone or PC takes less than three minutes-for sure this is one of the things that I like very much.

Rocket.Chat has all the features for web conferencing and internal communications in one place. For that reason, Rocket.Chat is a complete application that doesn't force me to keep shifting as it covers solutions for all my needs.

I also like how Rocket.Chat allows me to add as many accounts as i can.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that seem to be hard is customizing Rocket.Chat, mainly when yoy are a new user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use Rocket.Chat to communicate with my friends and co-workers.

Rocket.Chat makes it easy to undertake Video Conferencing from anywhere there is internet connection.

Rocket.Chat review by Logan G.
Logan G.

"Great Open Source Slack Alternative"

What do you like best?

RocketChat was super easy to migrate over to for a team of over 100 avid slack users. Everything was right where we left off, and the features work great.

What do you dislike?

The mobile apps could use some work and some users complain about missing notifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it!

Slack file storage limits were a huge problem for us, so when we can host our own, those are a non-issue. Also being able to audit messages (although not through the UI) was a must for us.

Rocket.Chat review by Sebastien L.
Sebastien L.

"Good free replacement to Slack"

What do you like best?

Rocket.chat is a highly customizable free (open source) replacement to Slack. It is easy to extend and customize, especially since the introduction of the marketplace to add extensions.

What do you dislike?

So features are missing and under development, but are not getting completed. For example, there is a feature that is requested by many (private group chat). There is an open pull request on the GIT repo that has been opened for a few months, but it is not getting approved for some reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that all the features you need are included. There is still a drawback at using free software.

We were using it to communicate in the team, with multiple integrations with other products we are using.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"Rocket.Chat is the platform we built our internal/proprietary chat app on. Saved us thousands"

What do you like best?

The community has been the best thing about Rocket.Chat. Every time we have an issue trying to get something to work we get a quick response time in the Github page. The community likes helping and that's an awesome thing.

What do you dislike?

There are some bugs/issues that have been around for months. We had to hire a contractor to fix the bug which was expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to fork from the main Rocket.Chat branch. It's hard to update so make sure you know what you want before forking. Make sure you're okay with not getting updates as well.

Time to getting a chat app launched was cut in half. Time is money so we were able to save thousands.

Rocket.Chat review by User

"It’s fine but I can function perfectly without it"

What do you like best?

It’s a good way for all the employees to get messages like announcements or news. It seems like a good group chat app.

What do you dislike?

It was kinda hard to get used to. And I get a lot of unnecessary messages because of the big number of people in the group, so I never feel like checking the messages and so I end up missing important stuff at times. I think it would be easier to just use Skype like before but I do understand that it’s easier for the boss to use Rocket.Chat because he can send the message only once to everyone at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don’t really have anything to say about it

We use it for instructions and communication between the employees and the boss and managers. Personally I was doing fine without it.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"Competent design and feature set, hard to configure and host with little to no help from Rocket Chat"

What do you like best?

It's open source and has a similar feature set to Slack. The ability to self host was what attracted us to the product but ultimately it was more trouble than it was worth.

What do you dislike?

We found many bugs, specifically effecting the memory footprint of the application over time. Additionally certain features were difficult or confusing to configure and in some cases did not work consistently across different deployments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test it thoroughly and be sure that it meets your needs and is something that you can host long term (if you are hosting yourself). Also, make sure you are comfortable with the level of support you receive from RocketChat themselves as we found them to be very hard to communicate with.

We wanted a chat solution to support the intranet platform that we develop and our intent was to offer Rocket Chat as a managed service alongside our intranet deployments. Unfortunately due to the issues we discovered we decided not to proceed with Rocket Chat and instead are looking to develop our own solution.

Rocket.Chat review by Purity C.
Purity C.

"My go-to solution for project management "

What do you like best?

Firstly, I like how it is easy to download and install Rocket.Chat on mobile devices.

I like that Rocket.Chat has both mobile and web applications.

Moreover, Rocket.Chat allows me to create communication channels to infinity.

What do you dislike?

I got zero flaws subjected to Rocket.Chat since it satisfy all my desires.

Task management.

I use Rocket.Chat to undertake all internal communications under one roof.

Rocket.Chat makes it easy to share files.

Screenshare and document collaboration.

Rocket.Chat review by Timothy G.
Timothy G.

"Goodbye Slack!"

What do you like best?

Due to a shared framework it is remarkably similar to its competitors but excels in customization, privacy, and (most importantly) reoccurring costs.

What do you dislike?

New versions can come by the dozens, sometimes several days in a row.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While the software is open-source it is far from a hobbyist application. Anyone using Slack should make the hop to Rocket.Chat without delay.

Rocket.Chat has allowed for increased productivity and collaboration while escaping the ever changing Slack pricing model.

Rocket.Chat review by Jane N.
Jane N.

"Rocket.Chat is the real deal"

What do you like best?

I like that Rocket.Chat has a mobile app.

How i seamlessly create communication channels with Rocket.Chat is another thing that I like.

I like how Rocket.Chat gives me the ability to create groups that unites users in one place.

What do you dislike?

I like everything about Rocket.Chat, I cannot have the guts to say anything about dislikes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it and you will never regret.

Document collaboration.

File sharing.

Video conferencing.

Rocket.Chat review by Brad R.
Brad R.

"If you liked slack you'll "

What do you like best?

Its just like slack, thats probably what I like best. Its easy to set up locally and easy to show people how to use. Easy to install and very intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

nothing is a great peace of software to use. For what it should do it does. Whenever an app does what its supposed to I like it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its easy to set up and easy to use. a very basic chat program that is very light weight. Great at sharing pictures and videos. Works across both android and apple devices.

interoffice communication.

"Motena's Rocket.Chat Insight"

What do you like best?

What I like most about Rocket.Chat is the way it has all the tools that enables me to save time.

Emoticons and mojis allows me to make it easy to chat without having to type anything.

Rocket.Chat integrates with a wide range of applications.

Finally, it is relatively cheap to obtain Rocket.Chat.

What do you dislike?

I like that Rocket.Chat has never let me down even on a single instance, thus I do not have anything that I dislike about it at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I cannot hesitate to recommend Rocket.Chat to all serious businesses.

Meeting initiation and joining.

Onlinw meetings.

File saring.

In-App messaging.

Conversation archiving.

Rocket.Chat review by Steve C.
Steve C.

"Excellent enterprise chat tool"

What do you like best?

We liked that we could host our own chat solution and we owned the backend data. We also gained features that hangouts chat was lacking since hangouts was going away.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the chat nodes were not respo sive and required a full OS reboot in order to.clear up. We ended up having to schedule reboots in order for the servers not to go down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand mongo db.

Trying to find a chat solution to meet our company needs since hangouts was retiring. We liked the slack like features at a cheaper cost.

Rocket.Chat review by Lina R.
Lina R.

"A great app to use"

What do you like best?

I like the design and user interface, its comfortable to use. I like that this app has a history of chat, so U can check it anytime.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes some rockets with "+" appear on the left and at first I didn't understand why they appear. I was clicking and nothing happened, maybe some kind of bug.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is comfortable, easy to use, I recmend it.

Communication with team.

"Great product!"

What do you like best?

Rocket Chat was a more than suitable replacement for Slack in house as that was getting too expensive. The interface is customisable and really sits well in company branding.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things that are very difficult to do in terms of administration, like changing users profile pictures remotely. Not everyone has the knowledge to use the API.

Unified company communications and stopped shadow IT with Skype, Slack and Hangouts all being used in different departments. Replaced the lot with Rocket Chat and haven't looked back since!

Rocket.Chat review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"Not rocket science"

What do you like best?

Easy to use chat bot for work, and very very easy to customize.

What do you dislike?

The interface on the app and web isn't as soft as I'm used to i.e. with Skype and Slack

It's extremely easy to have conversation threads per subject especially when working on projects, this way we get open forums to handle any questions we have arising. It's also a very effective tool for team collaboration and planning that requires checking in constantly. We've also successfully used it to plan an office bridal shower without the bride-to-be being any wiser...

You're also able to have multiple servers hosted on the app, such that you don't need to keep logging out to log in and get information

Rocket.Chat review by User in Internet

"RocketChat review - still pretty buggy"

What do you like best?

Honestly, after using slack, I can't really think of anything I like about it.

What do you dislike?

- It's trying to be Slack but not even close. You can only directly message one person - you cant message more than one person at a time.

- Only sometime do you get notified of a message. Often it'll flash that you have a message and then nothing will be there until you restart

- Most of the time it just freezes up and doesn't work

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a company larger than ~10 people it would be better to use something already working. If its for a group project and you only need to message one person at a time or as a full group then it could work.

Essentially were trying to have a messaging system other than email

Rocket.Chat review by Executive Sponsor in Events Services
Executive Sponsor in Events Services

"Is Rocket.Chat the best product? No but it's easy to use, inexpensive and helps me get work done"

What do you like best?

I can run Rocket.Chat on my own infrastructure, and don't need to worry about security not complying with my requirements.

What do you dislike?

Because of the open source nature, Rocket.Chat has bugs which pop up from time to time. While these are usually quickly addressed, I am still limited by a slow release path.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try Rocket.Chat and you'll see how versatile it is. It's worth putting in the time to learn the system as well as taking the effort to implement it fully. Once you do, you'll see how rich a feature set is available, but how few you can use depending on your needs. In case you're worried about ease of use, any IT department can set it up and implement the features as you're able to use them. It's customizable, has interfaces via web, desktop and mobile and also includes real time translation. I found this feature particularly useful when working with others who were not native speakers. While we all spoke English, it's easier to communicate in our native tongues and we found the translations reliable.

I didn't love Slack, and this works better. The chat is easy, the interface works well and it makes it easy to communicate on product development.

Rocket.Chat review by Jennifer D.
Jennifer D.

"Rocket.Chat new user"

What do you like best?

Fast. Very fast. Easy to manage layout. Customizable site is fun. Easy to start a new channel. I like the sidebar menu with option to pin messages and attach a file.

What do you dislike?

It wasn't obvious to me how to start a direct messaging another user not on list

Communicating at a distance for remote work. Quickly communicating with teammates. So far, less expensive option that others we have tried.

Rocket.Chat review by RodrigoRodrigues C.
RodrigoRodrigues C.

"I use everyday and it's awsome"

What do you like best?

Chat window, notifications, very clean UI and easy to undestand

What do you dislike?

Quantity of apps that we can integrate with it

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need the software like this, even work the same place with others

Communication between programmers, partners and finance area

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great Self Hosted Slack Alternative!"

What do you like best?

I think RocketChat is feature rich, stable, and under active development. The developers are constantly adding new features. It's compatible with Slack in Integrations AND you can import your Slack file into RocketChat so the transition is seamless. RocketChat supports Jitsi video conferencing, so channels can communicate visually with each other. It also has a great LiveChat offering that has allowed us to increase our website engagement a tremendous amount!

What do you dislike?

I think there's no way to do a mass export like Slack and import it on a new instance. I occasionally have trouble updating to a later version, but the support from the community is good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spin up a test Docker Image! If it meets your needs, then use the Ansible script to deploy and update your RocketChat install!

We completely replaced Slack and use RocketChat instead. It saves us money (some of which we donate back to the project), and has easy administration.

Rocket.Chat review by User

"Works well for our Inter-Company Communication"

What do you like best?

WOrks on Mac, Windows and Mobile, easy to use, possible to have different Chats, get Alerts via E-Mail when new message show up

What do you dislike?

It would be great, to have a smaller Window only focussing on entering Text and the three last messages so that not so much space from my Desktop Screen is taking away

Working in Germany, US and New ZEaland and depend on a good Chat System to communicate or exchange documents

Rocket.Chat review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Quiet Good for individual chat but not good for group chat"

What do you like best?

App makes it easy to use from anywhere , i can do one to one communication quiet easily till now!!

What do you dislike?

I behaves weird sometime, don't let me join any group call, also sometimes individual one, it's always inconsistent!!! Initial days things were good, but now worst

Recommendations to others considering the product

good for 1 to 1 chat , not good for group discussions

using it as a communicator for discussion with team mates related to projects

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"Excellent program which keep getting better"

What do you like best?

Rocket.Chat is getting updated rather frequently with fixes and new features rolling in. The development team is responsive when submitting a bug report.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat still has some bugs that are yet to be addressed.

The development team seems capable and rather friendly, but since this is still work in progress they might get overwhelmed at times.

Communication between team members used to be all over the place, now it's more streamlined.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"Some nice features but not a Business Product"

What do you like best?

Simple to use, had good options for locking down channels and was easy to see channels that had been setup for public use. Private chats worked great.

What do you dislike?

Very little contact from the Dev team, the push notification change was discovered after a bunch of troubleshooting. The documentation was spotty, we ended up going to slack over Rocketchat enterprise so I did not have experience with their priority support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for very small teams

We needed a chat program that could meet the CUI rules. It worked for a bit but then ran into issues. As stated above we switched programs before trying the enterprise level.

Rocket.Chat review by Julio C.
Julio C.

"Rocket Chat, the wordpress for the Chat, ChatBots and Live Chat"

What do you like best?

It is open source and have a VERY active community. It is going to to be for Chat what wordpress is for websites today.

What do you dislike?

It is not much a dislike but yet annoying is the constant changes it goes through. It is hard to keep up with the changes and updates.

integration between NLU engines, mobile chat applications and Live Chat agents in several different business websites.

Rocket.Chat review by Marat L.
Marat L.

"Basic collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

Ability to instantly chat within the organization

What do you dislike?

Channels - not many people are using them.

Messages don't pop-up and you may not notice them right away

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you research first - multiple tools exist on the market, this one is not the best

Clarifying quick questions instantly

Rocket.Chat review by User

"We enhance internal communications with Rocket.Chat"

What do you like best?

Simplicity and ease of use.

Rocket.Chat is affordable, where all companies can integrate it in their systema anytime they feel like.

What do you dislike?

Even if Rocket.Chat has video conferencing features, they are not strong like they are on other platforms like Slack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes if they do not want to spend a lot on online meetings.

Internal communications

Video and audio conferencing.

Team collaboration.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator

"Review of Rocket Chat in education "

What do you like best?

Easy set up and configuration. Clear pricing structure and quick to get into the hands of our users.

What do you dislike?

The mobile experience isn’t great and the overall UI Isn’t as intuitive as Slack. Mobile UI needs a lot of work to get it to be truly useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth looking at as a cheaper alternative to Slack and easy to configure and install

Communication between internal staff and external customers in our case students. We needed something quick and lightweight and especially cheap. This has been made possible with the straightforward pricing structure of rocketchat.

Learn more about Rocket.Chat

Rocket.Chat Videos

Learning about Rocket.Chat?

* We monitor all Rocket.Chat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
3.9