Rocket.Chat

3.8

Open source web chat platform. From group messages and video calls all the way to help desk killer features.

Work for Rocket.Chat?

Learning about Rocket.Chat?

Rocket.Chat Reviews

Ask Rocket.Chat a Question
Showing 39 Rocket.Chat reviews
Rocket.Chat review by Alice W.
Alice W.

"Let's skyrocket internal communications in our organizations with Rocket.Chat "

What do you like best?

Nothing is perfect in internal communications like Rocket.Chat.

I have been using Rocket.Chat for almost two years and I like the way it has been good all the way till now.

I like that Rocket.Chat has lots of features in one central place.

It can be customized to satisfy lots of needs such as video conferencing and internal communications.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat has had no identifiable flaws for the duration that i have been utilizing it to communicate with peers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it to everyone as long as they have internet-enabled devices like PCs, Tablets and Smartphones.

Internal communications in our company is enhanced by Rocket.Chat.

I use Rocket.Chat to share files and docs via private and company group.

Online meetings is another benefit since we hardly incur transport or physical costs.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Rocket.Chat
Rocket.Chat review by Lilian W.
Lilian W.

"Let's undertake Video Conferencing with Rocket.Chat"

What do you like best?

Let me start by analyzing my overall experience with Rocket.Chat:

I have been using Rocket.Chat for almost 9 months now and I like how it makes it to chat with colleagues and friends.

I like because it ia easy to install from play store and app store for Androind and Mac users.

Finally, i like the fact that Rocket.Chat has all the features for internal communications in one place.

What do you dislike?

Rocket.Chat is all good and perfect, but some folks hardly use it hence I find myself utilizing other video conferencing apps whenever in need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, and encourage others to install Rocket.Chat on their devices.

Video conferencing

Internal communication

File sharing.

What Internal Communications solution do you use?

Rocket.Chat review by Sandeep K.
Sandeep K.

"Best chat tool for organizations "

What do you like best?

User interface is very user friendly. I can use Rocket chat for direct communication as well as group chats. Also it is an open source product. I can connect with my colleges even when not in office. I can open it in web browser as well.

What do you dislike?

We cannot drag and drop image in a chat room. Also sometimes it hangs. But I don't find anything else to dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend others to give it a try and they will love it.

I can discuss about my projects and problems faced during the development phase as well as testing phase.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Free, but slightly buggy version of Slack"

What do you like best?

It's free and has a desktop app as well as a mobile app. It's similar to Slack but for some reason, less intimidating.

What do you dislike?

There are some bugs w/ it, e.g. # of unread messages not showing on the icon, sometimes the messages still show as unread even after seeing them (w/ no way of actually manually marking them as read)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're fine w/ slightly buggy as long as it's free, it's an okay tool. I just try to make sure I keep my earphones in so that I can hear the notification sounds and use that to keep track of whether there are messages I need to pay attention to or not.

Communication w/ teammates on projects or general office updates/news or private messages only involving particular parties; sending links to videos, articles, yelp places (for company lunch), or bitbucket repos

Rocket.Chat review by James M.
James M.

"Rocket.Chat advances internal communications in our corporation"

What do you like best?

Downloading and installing Rocket.Chat on any device auch as smartphone or PC takes less than three minutes-for sure this is one of the things that I like very much.

Rocket.Chat has all the features for web conferencing and internal communications in one place. For that reason, Rocket.Chat is a complete application that doesn't force me to keep shifting as it covers solutions for all my needs.

I also like how Rocket.Chat allows me to add as many accounts as i can.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that seem to be hard is customizing Rocket.Chat, mainly when yoy are a new user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use Rocket.Chat to communicate with my friends and co-workers.

Rocket.Chat makes it easy to undertake Video Conferencing from anywhere there is internet connection.

Rocket.Chat review by User

"It’s fine but I can function perfectly without it"

What do you like best?

It’s a good way for all the employees to get messages like announcements or news. It seems like a good group chat app.

What do you dislike?

It was kinda hard to get used to. And I get a lot of unnecessary messages because of the big number of people in the group, so I never feel like checking the messages and so I end up missing important stuff at times. I think it would be easier to just use Skype like before but I do understand that it’s easier for the boss to use Rocket.Chat because he can send the message only once to everyone at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don’t really have anything to say about it

We use it for instructions and communication between the employees and the boss and managers. Personally I was doing fine without it.

Rocket.Chat review by Timothy G.
Timothy G.

"Goodbye Slack!"

What do you like best?

Due to a shared framework it is remarkably similar to its competitors but excels in customization, privacy, and (most importantly) reoccurring costs.

What do you dislike?

New versions can come by the dozens, sometimes several days in a row.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While the software is open-source it is far from a hobbyist application. Anyone using Slack should make the hop to Rocket.Chat without delay.

Rocket.Chat has allowed for increased productivity and collaboration while escaping the ever changing Slack pricing model.

Rocket.Chat review by Brad R.
Brad R.

"If you liked slack you'll "

What do you like best?

Its just like slack, thats probably what I like best. Its easy to set up locally and easy to show people how to use. Easy to install and very intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

nothing is a great peace of software to use. For what it should do it does. Whenever an app does what its supposed to I like it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its easy to set up and easy to use. a very basic chat program that is very light weight. Great at sharing pictures and videos. Works across both android and apple devices.

interoffice communication.

Rocket.Chat review by Lina R.
Lina R.

"A great app to use"

What do you like best?

I like the design and user interface, its comfortable to use. I like that this app has a history of chat, so U can check it anytime.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes some rockets with "+" appear on the left and at first I didn't understand why they appear. I was clicking and nothing happened, maybe some kind of bug.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is comfortable, easy to use, I recmend it.

Communication with team.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"Not rocket science"

What do you like best?

Easy to use chat bot for work, and very very easy to customize.

What do you dislike?

The interface on the app and web isn't as soft as I'm used to i.e. with Skype and Slack

It's extremely easy to have conversation threads per subject especially when working on projects, this way we get open forums to handle any questions we have arising. It's also a very effective tool for team collaboration and planning that requires checking in constantly. We've also successfully used it to plan an office bridal shower without the bride-to-be being any wiser...

You're also able to have multiple servers hosted on the app, such that you don't need to keep logging out to log in and get information

Rocket.Chat review by User in Internet

"RocketChat review - still pretty buggy"

What do you like best?

Honestly, after using slack, I can't really think of anything I like about it.

What do you dislike?

- It's trying to be Slack but not even close. You can only directly message one person - you cant message more than one person at a time.

- Only sometime do you get notified of a message. Often it'll flash that you have a message and then nothing will be there until you restart

- Most of the time it just freezes up and doesn't work

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a company larger than ~10 people it would be better to use something already working. If its for a group project and you only need to message one person at a time or as a full group then it could work.

Essentially were trying to have a messaging system other than email

Rocket.Chat review by Executive Sponsor in Events Services
Executive Sponsor in Events Services

"Is Rocket.Chat the best product? No but it's easy to use, inexpensive and helps me get work done"

What do you like best?

I can run Rocket.Chat on my own infrastructure, and don't need to worry about security not complying with my requirements.

What do you dislike?

Because of the open source nature, Rocket.Chat has bugs which pop up from time to time. While these are usually quickly addressed, I am still limited by a slow release path.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try Rocket.Chat and you'll see how versatile it is. It's worth putting in the time to learn the system as well as taking the effort to implement it fully. Once you do, you'll see how rich a feature set is available, but how few you can use depending on your needs. In case you're worried about ease of use, any IT department can set it up and implement the features as you're able to use them. It's customizable, has interfaces via web, desktop and mobile and also includes real time translation. I found this feature particularly useful when working with others who were not native speakers. While we all spoke English, it's easier to communicate in our native tongues and we found the translations reliable.

I didn't love Slack, and this works better. The chat is easy, the interface works well and it makes it easy to communicate on product development.

Rocket.Chat review by Jennifer D.
Jennifer D.

"Rocket.Chat new user"

What do you like best?

Fast. Very fast. Easy to manage layout. Customizable site is fun. Easy to start a new channel. I like the sidebar menu with option to pin messages and attach a file.

What do you dislike?

It wasn't obvious to me how to start a direct messaging another user not on list

Communicating at a distance for remote work. Quickly communicating with teammates. So far, less expensive option that others we have tried.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great Self Hosted Slack Alternative!"

What do you like best?

I think RocketChat is feature rich, stable, and under active development. The developers are constantly adding new features. It's compatible with Slack in Integrations AND you can import your Slack file into RocketChat so the transition is seamless. RocketChat supports Jitsi video conferencing, so channels can communicate visually with each other. It also has a great LiveChat offering that has allowed us to increase our website engagement a tremendous amount!

What do you dislike?

I think there's no way to do a mass export like Slack and import it on a new instance. I occasionally have trouble updating to a later version, but the support from the community is good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spin up a test Docker Image! If it meets your needs, then use the Ansible script to deploy and update your RocketChat install!

We completely replaced Slack and use RocketChat instead. It saves us money (some of which we donate back to the project), and has easy administration.

Rocket.Chat review by Marat L.
Marat L.

"Basic collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

Ability to instantly chat within the organization

What do you dislike?

Channels - not many people are using them.

Messages don't pop-up and you may not notice them right away

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you research first - multiple tools exist on the market, this one is not the best

Clarifying quick questions instantly

Rocket.Chat review by User

"We enhance internal communications with Rocket.Chat"

What do you like best?

Simplicity and ease of use.

Rocket.Chat is affordable, where all companies can integrate it in their systema anytime they feel like.

What do you dislike?

Even if Rocket.Chat has video conferencing features, they are not strong like they are on other platforms like Slack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes if they do not want to spend a lot on online meetings.

Internal communications

Video and audio conferencing.

Team collaboration.

Rocket.Chat review by André L.
André L.

"Great!"

What do you like best?

Sending animated Gifs is very fun for me. The live support features could be great for providing customer service. The Linux snap installation is convenient.

What do you dislike?

Self-hosted server freezes. AWS EC2 T2 instance. I needed to increase the swap file size to 2GB to avoid this issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. I keep finding features that pleasantly surprise me. Self-hosting is easy.

Collaboration. More coworkers are starting to use instant messages to get more information and work more efficiently.

Rocket.Chat review by Brenda S.
Brenda S.

"Rocket.Chat does its job"

What do you like best?

I like that I can have private group chats and get direct messages

What do you dislike?

The interface seems a little clunky still.

I use Rocket.Chat to easily communicate with my clients and colleagues.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Rocket Chat is an excellent tool"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of communication, the ability to direct chat and group chat, as well. The chats can be personalized, making it easier to identify parties. You can also have different rooms open for multiple chat purposes.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I don't like about Rocket Chat. It is easy to maneuver and I have not had issues.

It helps when I need to get information quickly. Chat monitors are always available to find what I need to know and get it right to me, along with links.

Rocket.Chat review by Jonas F.
Jonas F.

"Open source team collaboration"

What do you like best?

It's free to use, open source, licensed under MIT and the community is quite big and helpful.

What do you dislike?

The documentation is not always 100% up-to-date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're stuck somewhere, don't hesitate to contact the support team!

Trying to get rid of public cloud collaboration tools (Slack was used in our company before). Since the company values privacy very much, the requirement was to host it locally.

Rocket.Chat review by Robert W.
Robert W.

"Excellent Chat "

What do you like best?

It's fast, fun, and has a phone app. I love being able to stay in contact with all of my work chats, regardless of whether I am in the office or not.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I don't like about RocketChat. I've used some other chat platforms, and never really found them as satisfying. I really enjoy just about every feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. Now. It's a very satisfying product. I never looked back.

Staying in touch in realtime. Group collaboration and discussion.

Rocket.Chat review by Colleen S.
Colleen S.

"Rocket.chatting it up"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and operate. Keeps

Everyone on task and up to date.

What do you dislike?

Not too much that I dislike about it everyone seems to like it thus far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend trying it out

We are working on scheduling programs and rocket.chat has allowed for us to all be i the loop.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator in Market Research
Administrator in Market Research

"Useful but not for me"

What do you like best?

I liked the collaboration idea and usage of the app along with with the possible integrations.

What do you dislike?

When I used this app, none of the notifications on the mobile app or the desktop version were working correctly and would not be useful without the notifications.

We were trying to solve a way to integrate research participants into an ongoing chat they could access at any time and where clients could post questions and participants would receive a notification that a new question was posted.

Rocket.Chat review by Amanda S.
Amanda S.

"Easy to use "

What do you like best?

I like that there is a desktop version as well as mobile to use on the go!

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I can think of that I don't like.

Connecting with coworkers quickly.

"Robo Chat"

What do you like best?

Robo Chat is easy to use, upload files, share and “clone” documents, import templates and even create an app to access the information.

What do you dislike?

Moving files from one database to another poses a problem sometimes as it changes the format of the documents.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to thoroughly go through each part of the software in order to show how to use it.

Communication and sharing of documents, spreadsheets and other pertinent documents and making them accessible to all.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Needs better mobile integration"

What do you like best?

I like the emoji section best. It makes work correspondence more personable.

What do you dislike?

I dislike not being able to see the message in the preview on my phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use the mobile app.

Access to communication

Rocket.Chat review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Open-source version of Slack"

What do you like best?

Easy setup, deploy and update for your internal corporate network. Updates are frequent and is slowly catching up to Slack.

What do you dislike?

Memory leak issue. It will randomly hang if you leave it on for too long. Unread messages can be a bit buggy and messages will show under the wrong contact name if the internet connection is unstable.

Facilitating communication amongst staff. Notable benefits include more communication between staff that normally would not overlap. Also eases organizing of company wide events by providing a single channel to provide updates.

"Not a fan"

What do you like best?

Rocket chat has a simple interface so its easy to use for anyone. Plus its easy to set up

What do you dislike?

The system is incredibly laggy and super glitchy. Because of that, I avoid using it because sometimes it freezes my computer up.

Allows employees to communicate in a form that is more casual and efficient than regular emails

Rocket.Chat review by Stepheny S.
Stepheny S.

"Great Chat Platform"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, streamlined, easy to get started

What do you dislike?

I haven’t found anything that I dislike yet

Easy live chat with customers

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Slack Alternative"

What do you like best?

Free, Easy, Fast and Cloud Hosted Solution

What do you dislike?

No sound on the alerts some time in the mobiles

Internal Comunication

Rocket.Chat review by User

"Great Tool for Instant Communication"

What do you like best?

It is quick and has very few problems. I don't get notifications for things that are not relevant to me.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I don't get notifications for things that ARE relevant to me. However, this is rare.

It has helped speed up communications internally.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Open source team chat"

What do you like best?

audio and video conferencing, guest access, screen sharing

What do you dislike?

Little overwhelming sometimes. I think the more you use the easier it gets, but the learning curve is big for someone with basic computer skills.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you start you will Rocket.Chat

Sales ,service and engineering can all communicate instantly .

Rocket.Chat review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Rocket Chat for business "

What do you like best?

Easy to use and communicate with others.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I can think of. It is a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a try!

Allows you to chat and share ideas, files etc. Great for collaboration.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Works as it is intended"

What do you like best?

I like that it can be accessed by web app or desktop

What do you dislike?

It is a little bland. No way to view total list of people logged in.

Easy to chat with coworkers

Rocket.Chat review by User in Internet

"Secure Slack Replacement "

What do you like best?

I like that the software keeps chat histories indefinitely

What do you dislike?

Conversation notifications are buggy and hard to clear.

RocketChat provides fast and secure team communication allowing us to quickly spread ideas.

Rocket.Chat review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Rocket.Chat Usage Review"

What do you like best?

Similar to slack, ability to create, join, leave channel, quick start to team collaboration

What do you dislike?

ability to search for channel is not user friendly

team collaboration, private setting

Rocket.Chat review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Just like any other platform."

What do you like best?

Setup of the client was easy, very future proof.

What do you dislike?

Even though it’s new I feel like I’ve used it before.

We were looking to switch clients.

Rocket.Chat review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Hospital & Health Care
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Hospital & Health Care

"Rocket Chat"

What do you like best?

It provides a great platform and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

The site at times lags, but nothing major.

Helps us keep connected.

Rocket.Chat review by Administrator in Legal Services
Administrator in Legal Services

"misleading/false advertising"

What do you like best?

The chat function seems great. .........................

What do you dislike?

They advertise as FREE all over the place. It's NOT FREE.

Project discussions

Learning about Rocket.Chat?

* We monitor all Rocket.Chat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.