Bloomerang

Bloomerang

Bloomerang is a cloud-based donor management system focuses on outreach, engagement, and retention. The product incorporates donor engagement and provides advice from fundraising and nonprofit experts.

Work for Bloomerang?

Learning about Bloomerang?

Bloomerang Reviews

Ask Bloomerang a Question
Showing 241 Bloomerang reviews
View Original October 8, 2018
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Bloomerang
Rick D.

What Fundraising solution do you use?

Rachel D.

"all-in-one CRM Database"

What do you like best?

it does a LOT. It has a lot of features. The reports are an incredible tool once you figure out the filters. Email tracking has also been great to see how many people open our emails, what emails bounce, etc. Overall, the constituent's profile set-up is great for getting a full picture of the constituent's history and how they're connected, what they give, if they volunteer, etc. Also the Bloomerang Academy classes and the webinars have been invaluable to learning and growing in our jobs and utilizing this platform to the best of it's abilities.

What do you dislike?

On the email templates, the customization is limited if you're trying to create a really nice, artsy mass email template. It can be challenging to make it all look presentable with what's available. Another feature is that mass emails really fill up everyone's timeline, so it can get cluttered when you're looking through a constituent's timeline and they receive all the emails.

We have a much better streamlined system for receipts and gift tracking. A major benefit has been the letter capabilities and being able to generate mass letters for taxes, invoices, gift receipts and more.

Danah Z.

"The Best Donor Database!"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is so user-friendly! We recently hired a new employee who noted that the database is super easy to use, visually pleasing, and is easy to learn. We made the switch to Bloomerang from RE about two years ago and have not for one second regretted making the switch.

What do you dislike?

There is not an integration with Quick Books. This is in the works but there is no release date.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is really scary to consider a move to a new CRM . We have all heard the horror stories (or experienced them firsthand) of data conversion from one system to another going off the rails. I am hear to tell you there is no need to worry if you are making the switch to Bloomerang. If you are thinking about moving to Bloomerang but are scared of the conversion, you needn't be. Bloomerang, from the moment you have your initial conversation will be with you every step of the way. From conversion to training, to follow-up to excellent customer service, you are in good hands.

We love the ability to use Bloomerang's integrated email service to send newsletters and appeals. We can track interests and see who we are engaged with. We love the ability to bcc emails to constituent records.

Nicole T.

"Great product for small businesss that keep improving"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang has continued to provide great customer service when support is called or through live chat which I think is their best feature. The level of detail and patience they have is amazing. Navigating through the site is also very easy. I love that you can run reports that tell you if you have records that need to be updated or deleted based on lack of actions for the constituent. They have paid attention to other software products that allow you to integrate with like with Firespring which was a major plus for the organization.

What do you dislike?

As they continue to grow and expand, I believe they will figure out the bugs of global adding, automating more and making it easier to pull complex reports/lists.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really vet your information before switching. It makes for an easier conversion.

We are able to look at snapshots of membership through simple list generations. Being able to see goal vs. actuals on the dashboard for campaigns is very helpful to watch performance.

Jamie C.

"Great Donor Management System"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang allows us to track individual donors through campaign and appeals, as well as our monthly giving campaigns. Also, Bloomerang allows us to track our entire grant management system through the use of notes, interactions, and tasks. The constant upgrades and changes to the system let me know that Bloomerang takes feedback seriously and changes to meet demand.

What do you dislike?

There are some quirks to using Bloomerang, such as only allowing thank you letters to be downloaded as PDF's. If you want to then personalize any letter in a batch mailing, it is a process to go in and individually change each letter, download, then print.

We are tracking our campaigns through Bloomerang, to see which appeals are most effective and where we are spending more time and money than necessary. This has been a huge benefit because our development team is able to reassess their use of time and money expenditures in order to get the most bang for the buck.

Andrew L.

"Donor Oriented Fundraising Software"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang has an uncanny ability to see how you can best serve your donors by providing ways to get to know them better, easy to use reports and email surveys to enhance their impact in your organization, and a focus on how they interact with you by using an algorithm that shows their response. New ways to interact and best serve the donor are constantly updated in the software program.

What do you dislike?

Not much. At times trying to figure out how to add features or custom fields to your donor profile page can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are wanting to be donor-centered- this is a great fundraising software!

Bloomerang saves time by adding in complementary partners to our work such as NCOA and wealth screening software. The platform is easy to use and navigate when finding out how best to serve your donors.

Ricki C.

"Development Director"

What do you like best?

The ease of running reports that are so important to our funding strategy. We can easily put together the lists we need and send targeted information to our donors. Many CRM's have much more complicated report procedures.

What do you dislike?

We are a hospice facility so probably 85% of our donations are tribute based. That area needs a bit of work. For example, there is no easy search for tributes, you have to scroll through all of them and we have many. We also struggle a bit with sending notificants a list of the donors who made gifts in memory of their loved ones. We've figured it out but it's a work around instead of a straight task.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I've worked with Tapestry, Donor Perfect, Datatel to name a few and this was by far the easiest to use. I was in a position of getting a CRM up and running asap and Bloomerang did the job and did not disappoint.

Who donated, when, how much, how often. Are these donors ready to be moved up? How are we doing compared to last year, last month, etc. . How are our gifts coming? What appeals are most productive. All these questions are at my finger tips,

Janet M.

"User Friendly!"

What do you like best?

We made the switch to Bloomerang a little less than two years ago. The team at Bloomerang was very thorough in determining our needs, converting our data, and walking us through what we needed to know to get started. It's a very user-friendly system with loads of how-to articles and videos. If your question is not easily answered that way, the online support is excellent. We are looking to hire a new development director and I was asked what kind of training he or she would need. Seriously, it is so intuitive that I only expect minimal questions.

What do you dislike?

I guess I haven't encountered anything I dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bloomerang has met all our needs and I have no doubt that it can do even more than we've tried.

We are managing donors, donations, and interactions with ease. It's been a win-win.

Elizabeth H.

"Development and Fundraising Dreams DO Come True!"

What do you like best?

It's hard to choose a favorite thing, but as a former Director of Development for over a decade, and now a consultant helping other nonprofit orgs build strong, responsive donor bases — Bloomerang is like a glove that fits. It's just right for the needs, pace, and expertise of real-life nonprofits. Ease of use, a learning curve that is incredibly accessible, and astoundingly thorough options for reporting and recording data are at the top of my list. This tool is a literal game changer for nonprofits. It has been invaluable to successful fundraising for my clients.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features not yet available that will be wonderful when they come - the email and letter building features can be a bit clunky and not totally seamless to use. Formatting and spacing can be challenging. Not impossible, but frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't expect perfection, it doesn't exist. And remember that the cleanliness and accuracy of the data IN determines what you are able to pull out. Use it every day, to it's fullest, and it will pay off.

I have taken my clients from using broken, pieced together "donor" systems and streamlined everything about the way they do fundraising by getting them on the Bloomerang platform. They can see their donors, communicate with them, understand them, and build capacity. My clients are raising 25% more, and in some cases 100% more.

Tiane K.

"Bloomerang helped grow our annual fundraising by 100% in 3 years"

What do you like best?

We began using Bloomerang in 2015 and it has made such a difference in our fundraising efforts. Now that we can track our donations and quickly thank our donors, it is so much more effective than before. We are able to understand who needs extra attention and who is "on fire". We can set goals and watch to see if they are being met or if we need to take action. Tracking our correspondence with our donors and soon-to-be donors (if we treat them right) makes it easy to see if what we are doing is working or not.

The customer service is fantastic. I like that I can immediately chat with someone when I have a problem or question and not have to wait.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things (like any system, and like all the ones we researched before deciding on Bloomerang) that aren't ideal. The Email program is not as user-friendly or have as many features as some others that we have used in the past. But it works and is fine for what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program is extremely user-friendly, which is the reason we chose it. As the primary user of the system, I couldn't be happier with it.

Bloomerang has brought our Development staff into the 21st century. In a little over 3 years, we have doubled our fundraising efforts and have brought our retention to above 50%.

Atiye C.

"10 Stars to Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

There are so many features we love about Bloomerang.

- Super User Friendly

- Amazing Customer Support

- The ability to better focus on Donor Retention and the lifetime value of a donor

- It's really easy to keep track of all of our fundraising goals

- Ability to get super detailed when running reports

- Importing donor information isn't complex

- Social Listing Hub & ability to track a donors visit to our website are great features to track a donors engagement level

- Leaving notes on a donors profile has come in handy for a number of occasions.

- Pretty much everything about the system.

What do you dislike?

The only thing we could come up with to dislike about Bloomerang is that we didn't find it sooner. We've had no issues with the system or found it lacking in anyway.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for a system that is geared toward donor retention and building a better understanding of your donor base - Bloomerang is the CRM you're looking for.

Bloomerang allows us to really focus on donor retention and grow our Major Giving & Planned Giving prospect list. Bloomerang allows us to better utilize our donor/prospect listing - for example, we can see if a donor has been recently approached about Sponsorship or Grant opportunities and decided if this is the best time to approach them about other giving opportunities, or move onto a less tapped donor.

Jennifer W.

"The Transition to Bloomerang has been Amazing"

What do you like best?

Intuitive nature of the system. We had as close to a pain free conversion as you could have. I also love the reporting feature. It is surprisingly robust. I often reach out when I am doing a more complex report and get great help from the Support Staff.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we can't batch gift entry and that we can't export all of the letters into word and then edit them. We try to personalize our letters, but the person who has the knowledge isn't always the one who is doing the gift entry. So in the end we are sending thank you letters that are less donor centered than what we used to and that 's a disappointment. We haven't had great luck working with Moolah. The integration for cc processing and EFT was much more seamless with my last database.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You won't regret it. No system is perfect, but most of us don't need all the bells and whistles of more complex systems that cost more to maintain and honestly keep us from doing our job - raising money for the organizations that need us!

I'm not sure what you mean by that. We don't have money. That's a business problem and Bloomerang helps us.

I have been able to pull our grants management calendar process inside the system which is great. Maybe that's a business problem you all have helped us address.

Megan D.

"I've had a great experience"

What do you like best?

it is easy to use and the customer service is amazing! 99% of the time, I'm blown away by how awesome the customer support staff is. Always so patient, even if the question is super dumb. Always helpful. Willing to research answers when I ask a particularity tricky question. One time, an agent even emailed afterwards after he noticed something else! I like the home screen, the profile pages, the reporting, the letters, the email generation (and how it tracks who opens and puts that as an interaction in a donor profile), the reporting, the way to import data (again, customer service has been great here with helping to make sure imports are correct), the RSVP tracking, and the website integration (sign up forms to subscribe to emails and to RSVP for events, and to provide a mailing address.)

What do you dislike?

The platform for emails is not the best -- I wish there was more options for fonts and formatting. I don't like how difficult it is to access pledge information for a constituent.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it! It's a great product that makes life easy!

The business problems we are solving are: being able to track donors, in regards to how much they give year over year. The benefits I have realized are the reporting systems -- I love the default reports that are already there and the ability to create basically any kind of report I want. It keeps information organized and accessible.

Jamie C.

"User Friendly Donor Software"

What do you like best?

The absolute best part about Bloomerang is the ability to create comprehensive reports for both donors and transactions. I can look up literally almost any group of donors based on criteria that is as specific or as broad as I choose. These make mailings (especially appeals) so much more effective.

What do you dislike?

I've noticed some bugs with split receipt acknowledgement. But they are constantly putting out new tools and part of that also means refining them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep your database organized. Check for duplicates and note that only one email is used per user profile. These things will help keep cost down (but for what you get Bloomerang is worth every dollar).

We had been trying to better segment our appeal mailings for years. Bloomerang makes it a breeze with their reporting tools.

Jeff M.

"Intuitive, easy to use combination of great tools"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is intuitive and integrates both email and embedded forms for donations, registrations, etc. While they offer a lot of free training opportunities, it's very easy to navigate and the learning curve is very short.

What do you dislike?

If most of your fundraising is event-based, then this might not be the optimal choice. Some other software options have much more robust special event modules.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make a list of what features you need, what you'd like and what you really don't need. Look at the alternatives and rate them in the first two areas. View demo's on at least your top 3-5 choices. Ask to "play in the sandboxes" of your top 3 choices before making a decision.

I am tracking donations, recording interactions and keeping every aspect of my relationship with each donor in a single location that can be easily retrieved. In my current role, I instituted Bloomerang as our first donor management system. In my prior role, I converted from the PC-based version of Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang.

Sara S.

"We love Bloomerang!"

What do you like best?

Our Communications and Development Department uses Bloomerang to manage and communicate with our donors. We did a number of demos with different constituent management software and chose Bloomerang and we absolutely made the correct decision. We have about 10,000 records. The transition from DonorPerfect to Bloomerang was very quick and only had a couple minor hiccups which were easily remedied. Since then, we have been able to increase our engagement with our donors and our donors' engagement with our organization. The webinars have been incredibly helpful. We have only had to contact tech support once for an issue but we've made suggestions for how Bloomerang can improve and they've taken those suggestions and actually implemented a couple of them. We have just had such a good experience with Bloomerang and are so thankful we decided to switch to them! It's been a wonderful experience and they've just been really great to work with. Would recommend them to anyone, especially smaller to mid-sized organizations.

What do you dislike?

We really don't have any complaints. Every issue we've had has been user error, for the most part. Some of the import features are a little clunky but manageable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're thinking about switching to Bloomerang, I would highly recommend it. Especially if your development program has a major gifts component.

We have doubled our revenue and increased efficiencies in the department. Bloomerang has made engaging with our donors and tracking that engagement so much easier.

"Great evolving software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, reporting features, community of support

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to add multiple individuals into an activity or event directly in the software instead of having to create and check an import spreadsheet every time. Like a "copy this event" feature to multiple constituents.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bloomerang is fantastic. No service is ever going to be perfect for everyone in an organization, but in my opinion it is very easy to use, they listen, and are constantly evolving to improve their services. Not to mention all of the amazing how-to and fundraising webinars they offer! It really is a community of support. It seems like if your organization has someone dedicated to membership/fundraising, you don't need to have much experience to get the hang of and learn what strategies are effective. All of the tools are there, you just have to use them.

Making sure our contact information is relevant. I think we are getting good information about our donors. We are achieving a level of organization our non-profit has never had before with a database.

Aspen S.

"Very intuitive and simple to use-powerful fundraising and donor management tool!"

What do you like best?

LOVING IT! I have been telling everyone how awesome your CRM is!!! I hope you get some referrals! The customer service is phenomenal! Always friendly when I call...even when they should maybe be frustrated with me because they already helped me with the same question a month ago. 😁 The system is intuitive. The report function takes a little getting to know, but not because of the system - it is because I am not use to building reports so my brain has to think differently-and your customer service people help me with that. Even when they are not available on the phone or chat, I was able to look at how a similar report was built and model it. I cannot speak highly enough about Bloomerang!! I am SO happy with it!! We are WAY more organized and efficient with our donations and donors. Feel free to use any of that in your marketing or wherever. If anyone ever wants to speak with a bloomerang user you can give them my info. I have not used the donor search function very much yet. That will be for later. I am still getting to know my job and the organization.

What do you dislike?

Would love to see the newsletter function more customizable.

Donor management

Samantha W.

"Bloomerang makes it easy!"

What do you like best?

There are many things I like about Bloomerang, but at the top of the list is how user friendly it is. It is very easy to navigate, set up and work with. The customer service is exceptional! There are many ways to access help when needed and they are constantly improving the product. There are an infinite number of tutorials to provide instruction on every area of the system. They LISTEN to their customers and make additions, changes and improvements based on the feedback they receive. That's a big deal if you ask me!

What do you dislike?

If I had to choose one area I dislike, it would be the reporting section. It is good from the standpoint that you can pull the DATA that is needed, but putting it in a "pretty" report, like crystal reports that can be done in some other database systems, is not one of the capabilities available at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research. This is a great product and meets the needs of the organization and the fund development program we are establishing. There are MANY features that I know we are not utilizing yet, but may as we grow. However, it may not be right for you. You may need more or different features than what Bloomerang can offer. Every organization is different.

Online giving is one of the business problems we are solving with Bloomerang. We have realized an increase in donations because we have online giving available. Also, the ability to capture and track all of our donors and prospects in one place has made a difference.

Father Nick B.

"For a small nonprofit, it's been the right fit"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang's ability to track donor engagement levels makes it easy to segment appeals and identify lapsed donors--in other words, within the roster of donors it helps to be able to quickly recognize who is needing attention or a nudge. The retention wheel integrates easily within this program. Bloomerang integrates seamlessly with Stripe, which has allowed us to begin processing donations online. We've partnered with a printing company that's out of state, but Bloomerang allows us to generate reports in Excel that our printers can use for variable fields and the quality of our mailings have improved dramatically as a result.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be clumsy at times. For instance, as more and more reports are generated, there's no way to designate certain frequently used reports as "favorites"--it means a lot of clicking to get to pages that are buried in the menus. The mobile interface especially on phones is clunky and doesn't allow for much interactivity--an app would be nice. The interface for creating emails is pretty limited, too.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I am not an expert on Donor Management Software, so I don't have much to compare Bloomerang to. However, since using this software, our donor relationships have been streamlined and significantly improved. For smaller nonprofits, Bloomerang seems like an ideal fit.

For a small nonprofit like us, Bloomerang has allowed us to track donor interactions far more thoroughly, which has allowed us to be far more specific in how we tailor our interactions. Previously, using some very simple tracking software, we were limited to noting who donated when. Now, we can segment our appeals, use emails to communicate, and more precisely identify lapsed donors or those who can potentially give more.

Michelle G.

"User friendly and always improving!"

What do you like best?

I love that Bloomerang is user-friendly enough for, let's say, less tech savvy folks to use quickly and easily, while also offering robust reporting and other tools that allows the more experienced users to dig deep and pull out all the insights our data have to offer. They are also ALWAYS adding and improving features, and their chat help has been invaluable to us.

What do you dislike?

I do wish Bloomerang's email tool were more flexible able to produce slightly more attractive designs, incorporate Google forms seamlessly, and embed YouTube videos (rather than linking to them via a still image).

I also wish it were easier to get Relationship data into the same letter as Transaction data, but there are workarounds for this that aren't too tedious.

Finally, I really look forward to being able to run my own mass updates on accounts, similar to what I was previously able to do in our previous database.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely get demos from different databases-- DonorPerfect fit our needs years ago, then eTapestry fit our evolving needs better, and now Bloomerang has become our "perfect fit," but it's possible it's not yours. Strongly recommend if you want something for users who come in with lots of different levels of comfort in cloud-based CRM or donor databases.

Simply put, Bloomerang has helped us see our data in new, clear ways and put it to use. Some of our funders require very complicated reporting on donors, event attendees, etc., and with Bloomerang I'm able to generate those reports in- no joke- a tenth of the time it took in our previous databases. Those time savings alone are obviously a HUGE value.

Shannel B.

"Over a year later, still happy with our switch to Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and intuitiveness. Very much a WYSIWYG program, unlike our previous donor database. Also, the customer support is as easy as starting a chat window and getting immediate help.

What do you dislike?

Some features we would like are unavailable and either not currently in the works, or are in the works for down the road. IE having a login type for other staff that gives them access to profiles and interactions, but NOT the ability to view/edit/create transactions.

In addition to our Donor database/CRM, we have also begun to use Bloomerang as our volunteer database and in 2019 will begin using to track volunteer hours as well. Bloomerang has also made it easier to identify constituents on whom we should focus cultivation.

UP
User in Performing Arts

"I really do not like Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang has an intuitive user interface. That's pretty much the only good thing I have to say about it. The ability to put people into "Households" that are separate from their individual records is kind of nice, though it is not something that I take advantage of very often.

What do you dislike?

Bloomerang has extremely limited functionality. The simple user interface feels dumbed down. While you can have customizable fields in Bloomerang, they are clunky to create. There is too much clicking and absolutely no support for keyboard shortcuts, advanced searches, regex searches, or tracking of events outside of the "Timeline." The process for uploading new constituents from a csv file is horrible: you cannot see which of the constituents are being added as new records and which are just adding new info to existing constitute records (Bloomerang tells you how many of each there are, but not more information than that). The email blast features is incredibly buggy. The email preview does not match the actual email which does not match the HTML. The relationship between source code and result is super mysterious and unpredictable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't!

We use Bloomerang for tracking donors (its primary intended purpose), sending our month email newsletter, and keeping track of students and band directors and parents and faculty. Of those three uses, it is only remotely good at the first one.

Amanda S.

"Excellent service & product"

What do you like best?

I like how well-integrated the software is with our website/donors/emails. I also like that I am constantly learning new features and capabilities of Bloomerang. On top of that, when I'm not sure how to do something, the team is very quick to help me via live chat.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that Bloomerang is not integrated with PayPal - yet! I also wish there was a way to view all of our constituents without creating a report. The email capabilities are also limited when it comes to design/colors/fonts/etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bloomerang listens to its customers so be vocal about things you would like to see improved or developed!

The logistics of typing in donor profiles have been cut in half.

Learn more about Bloomerang

Bloomerang Videos

Learning about Bloomerang?

* We monitor all Bloomerang reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.