Smartlook Reviews & Product Details

What is Smartlook?

Smartlook is a qualitative analytics solution for websites and mobile apps helping over 200,000 businesses of all sizes and industries answer the "whys" behind their users' actions. Eliminate the guesswork and discover real, actionable reasons. With a unique feature set, Smartlook finally gives you a way to understand user behavior at the micro level. Always-on visitor recordings show you what every last visitor does on your website or app, while automatic event tracking lets you know how (and how often) your visitors do specific things. You can then build conversion funnels to see your conversion rates as well as uncover why people are churning. Heatmaps for websites give you mass data about where most people click, scroll, hover, and otherwise interact with your pages. Smartlook started in 2016 with web analytics and branched into mobile app analytics in 2018. Ranked within the Top 100 Software Products in the 2019 G2 Crowd Awards, Smartlook services customers like O2, Miele, Hyundai, and Kiwi.com. It can also record games developed in the Unity engine.

Smartlook Screenshots

Smartlook Reviews

1-25 of 449 total Smartlook reviews
Graphic Designer
Retail

"The friendly platform that gives you a clear view of the behavior of your customers."

What do you like best?

I really like to use this platform because it allows me to clearly observe the behavior of our clients, as well as to discover and answer many of the unknowns that we had as a company, because before we did meetings, in order to find as a team what were our deficiencies, but now thanks smarlook we already know, so we meet to look for solutions.

I love how this software has responded to our needs, in a positive way, we currently have more detailed information of our clients, which has allowed us to classify them according to this, providing a more personalized service and creating different proposals to their requests. .

What do you dislike?

Actually I found it difficult to point out negative aspects of this application, but one of the things that intimidated me and was a challenge, was to buy it without using it before in a free version, which was a risky move for the budget, but after using it fascinated with the results, it would be good to create a version that allows new users to know, I think this would allow more companies to acquire smartlook.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this application, for the incredible management, that has allowed us to do our company, now we are better thanks to Smarlook.

Thanks to this platform, today we can get to know our clients better and also know first-hand what ails them, which has been very beneficial for all, because now we are more effective and creative. It has also promoted that as a company we are more competitive and renew ourselves day after day, because now thanks to this information generated through the recordings we make a publicity campaign according to the country of our users, as well as we correct working daily to improve all the requests from our clients.

Mr.

"Great UX improvement tool"

What do you like best?

Very easy implementation. The heatmap tool is very useful in particular. It literally lets you watch what your visitors do, where they click, what they type, how long they stay etc. Mobile recordings show you drawbacks of your layout and make it easier to come up with a better one.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I would dislike that I can think of. Not getting the exact location of visitors using a VPN, but that that is expected. The amount of sessions that get recorded takes a long time to review.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Smartlook is a great tool to any website designer, developer and owner. The benefit of knowing what your customers do on the website, why they leave, what takes them unreasonable time on a certain page is huge.

Understanding what the users do and improving the User interface accordingly. It would probably take us way longer to figure out some of the problems on our we pages if we didn't have this tool.

Online Marketing

"Smartlook beats 'em all"

What do you like best?

It's functionality far more than Hotjar's or CrazyEggs. I love the custom events and user identification parts the most. It took time to get used to the dashboard and the navigation within the application when I set-up multiple pages/product, but it's the same in Hotjar or any similar tool.

What do you dislike?

It was hard to get used to is, to know every piece of the software. It uses a different kind of UI on the dashboard and for the administration panel. The set up of integration with Intercom hasn't worked and I wasn't able to try it before we started paying, so it was a black box, without the chance to test before implementation

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A session recording software is a must-have for every for every digital company and Smartlook is the best currently.

Since we are using Smartlook we discovered 3 major an numerous minor issues in our digital funnels. By identifying users and their events, we are enabled to filter the recordings to only the useful ones - saves time compared to similar tools.

Analyts
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Better than I had expected"

What do you like best?

I like that it feels professional. I have used other Session recording / heat mapping vendors, and smartlook feels more in-touch with a professional user. They have a great dashboard; everything is easy and intuitive. Installation is extremely smooth.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features that could be better. Example: favorite session recording, I don't like that I need to click on the image of the cartoon face to find the 'star' to favorite the recording. The star should be visible in the session recording list so I can star multiple at a time and not have to click into each one. The other thing is I can't delete my session recordings. I found the user guide and it tells me that I can but when I look at the source code that variable in the HTML is set to FALSE instead of true disabling the ability for me to delete the recording. Not sure if that is because of the plan I have or something else?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend you look at multiple vendors and see which one fits your needs. SmartLook took a more professional stance with their UI and provided better filter functionality for the session recording; for us they are a good fit.

Smartlook has been great to see how far our customers scroll. We create long and heavy context type pages and want to know if users are even seeing all of it. It is great to see what they are doing and where they are looking. It is also great to have the JS errors, if a user experiences an error I can look at the console to see what error came up and give it to my developer to fix.

Webmaster

"No More Guessing"

What do you like best?

The ability to see a reconstructed "screen recording" of the user's activity on our website is invaluable. Google analytics and others can only provide so much insight without getting confusing; Smartlook lets me know where the user is hitting trouble, on what page, for how long, etc. It's like looking over their shoulder! The addition of "Rage clicks" and other problematic events are also fantastic insight. It looks like they've added many new features I haven't had a chance to explore but I'm excited for what they are rolling out!

What do you dislike?

Smartlook lets me know the city of the user, but it doesn't include the state. This can be a little frustrating for statistics purposes, but it is a small factor when compared to all the benefits of their service. Having been a free member for a couple years now, I haven't had a chance to explore the features of a paid membership.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Yes, clients I freelance for and my own personal business.

Realizing the flow of a website from the moment a user lands on the page, the pain points from a users perspective in terms of confusion and misunderstanding and what parts are most valuable to users.

Founder & CEO
Management Consulting

"Useful tool to understand a customer's journey"

What do you like best?

I can see what a customer sees on our website saasjet.com or web applications we develop. I have used it to provide fast feedback for UI/UX experts and get understanding of what needs to be updated in my SaaS-based startups. A perfect data source for product owners, product managers, website owners and internet marketers. Very good filtering system. It takes just few minutes from account registration to first sessions recorded. Also, it is easy to catch bugs once you receive the complaints from end-customer. API interface could be used to extend the functionality and synchronize your data with other tools or services. We're happy with our choice. There are enough docs and videos on the website to study how everything works. Thank you, guys, for a great job done! Smartlook is my lovely and must have tool I install usually with Google Analytics and Pingdom.

What do you dislike?

Limitations of the free plan (3-day data storage only). I really hate this. Probably, the number of sessions limit works better for startups. I understand that it is just a free version. But the pricing model is not good as for me. Also, the interface of session sequences sometimes confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use and install, excellent ROI.

User behavior reconstruction as a pre-recorded video. If your visitor leaves the page, you will understand why. It is the ultimate tool to provide continuous improvement ideas.

Director - Finance & Administration

"For Website Owners - Must Have Tool!!"

What do you like best?

Have been using the Smartlook not for so long but very impressive results. It helped us understand many aspects including visitors behavior, section/ page wise interest, acts like a closed circuit camera on website, learning about bugs/ errors & helping us in quick fixing. Bonus is sharing part which eases our developers job with less head-ache to us.

What do you dislike?

Honestly nothing to dislike, anyone & everyone should be proud for using such a tool with less efforts for API integration, activation & as they say lights, camera, action...

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A must have tool for everyone who owes a website, blog or anything in that matter..its like a non-stop watchdog.

We were looking for a tool which could help us capture the activity as happening LIVE on our website to understand how to improve ourselves to serve our customers more efficiently. Indeed got nothing less then what we asked for - Smartlook - the real-time solutions for all your online need as a developer, web marketer, website/ brand owner & everyone on internet by today. It is here to stay & be for a long while...keep us surprising with more service integration/ application in future.

Marketing Executive

"The best website visitor tool"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use, and has helped me make a lot of tweaks to the website based on how visitors use the site. It is so good to see where users get stuck or confused and then ironing that out, and then seeing new users not get stuck in that area.

It is has great colour coded icons on recordings so you can see when a customer has clicked which is useful. Also its handy having a filter feature so i can quickly see recordings of people who have added to cart.

What do you dislike?

honestly i can't think of anything. I guess if i had to ask for 1 thing it would be a little icon next to recordings on the main recording screen that tells me this recording has had an add to cart happen. But there is segmenting which is just 1 more click so its not a big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it you will be very happy with the product

It has helped me make a lot of tweaks to the website based on how visitors use the site. It is so good to see where users get stuck or confused and then ironing that out, and then seeing new users not get stuck in that area.

It also allows me to test new apps quickly on shopify because i can see pretty quickly how people are reacting to the app and if it is annoying them or if its a positive experience.

Being able to see mouse movements too means you can literally see where peoples pain points are for example they are not sure which navigation menu is the right menu to click on - and you can see the mouse going back and forth between the two before they eventually decide on one.

Little things like this just make it a wonderful app

Analista de marketing

"Very useful for educational companies"

What do you like best?

Os mapas de calor são particularmente muito úteis para descobrirmos qual o call to action mais adequado, além das gravações de tela que nos fornecem dados muito importantes sobre quais os caracteristicas de cada graduação mais chama a atenção do aluno na descrição do produto.

What do you dislike?

O preço para empresas de pequeno porte é razoavelmente alto e a versão grátis oferece uma quantidade de recursos demasiadamente limitada.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A versão free é uma boa oportunidade para pequenos negócios identificarem pontos de melhora nas principais páginas do seu site. A ferramenta oferece insights que não teríamos apenas com a utilização do google analytics.

Ajustes de cores e texto dos botões de call to action, bem como a diminuição de etapas do funil de vendas.

"More than I expected"

What do you like best?

The heatmaps optimization. With many access on my client's website Smartlook shows me more accurate data on the maps. With these new informations I could modify the site and it improved the UX and brought to our client more sales. Futhermore, not only Smartlook helped us to improve our client's website but users' mobile access seeing that the behavior from desktop user were different than the mobile user. The session recording was useful too so we could verify why our users were taking so long to purchase.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I didn't like yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a tool with a friendly dashboard and "easy on the eyes" information, I must choose SmartLook.

Our client have a good traffic, but many visitors left the site in the shopping cart. With Smartlook we discover that the purchase flow was not so friendly to the user. With the heatmap we discover these gaps and our development team solve it.

Growth Hacker (Marketing digital + desarrollo web)

"La mejor herramienta de investigación cualitativa y de UX"

What do you like best?

Cuando quieres ver el comportamiento de los usuarios saber hasta donde hacen scroll, como navegaron, donde dieron click Smartlook es una herramienta genial que te ayuda a ver estos aspectos cualitativos y aunados estos aspectos cualitativos junto con aspectos cuantitativos como un sistema de analítica como el de Google te ayuda a mejorar la experiencia de uso y resolver esos problemas que estas detectando al ver ambos lados de la misma moneda

What do you dislike?

La verdad no hay mucho que me disguste de esta herramienta creo que si puede mejorar pero en general es muy completa

El comportamiento del usuario a veces es algo desconocido esta herramienta te ayuda a ver el comportamiento de usuario y tomar acciones para hacer mejoras a ver los problemas a los que los usuarios se enfrentan

Executive Marketing Assistant

"Want to Increase your Website productivity? - If Yes then 1000% Smartlook Help You :) "

What do you like best?

First of all, I like the way to install and configure - Very Easy Step by Using GTM or Code. Just A Single Code and Get it Done.

Second is Each and Every Second, Review, Insights Interest Showcase in Video Format. Heatmaps is also a great feature.

I am new for now - reviewing in just after 10 min of signup at Smartlook - but I feel I should share my experience as a new user and ofcourse i am exploring it more and will look into it details.

And Yes - It helps me to give a clear understanding about what user looking, searching and react more. So I can get my platform more better in terms of design and options.

What do you dislike?

For Now - I am a newbee here. But Ofcourse if there I finf something issue or something i dislike - then i will share to support to make it easier or fruitful for users.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I am loving it - Use some more new techniques to promote. people are ready to be a user here

- User Insights in terms of Interest, Thoughts and Where to convert

- Remove unwanted things by adding user interest things.

"The best web analytics solution I ever used!"

What do you like best?

I like the possibility to have access to sessions recordings so I can analyze my client's behavior and make adjustments on the web page if necessary. When some users have access difficulties I just ask the time when the event occurred and see what happened.

What do you dislike?

As every session is recorded is not an easy task to review the action of all users. But is a necessary effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this product to everyone that needs to deploy the best web monitoring system for their users. No regrets. Is easy to install and use, specifically in Wordpress, that is my case. In a matter of minutes, you can reach the full control of your user's behavior and carefully and specifically plan to meet their needs. In my specific case, e-Learning, I can even know if users are really completing all the steps of the classes. As the session can be live recorded, I mean, at the same time the user is accessing, it is possible even to monitor and give instructions at the same time. This option empowers me to offer the best support solution available.

With SmartLook it is possible to build the best user interface possible because we can see and test what works better. Now I have the possibility to know who is accessing, from where and the bounce rate of specific pages. Is easy to see too what parts of specific pages need to be well developed or have more instructions to the user.

"Very good tool for tracking customer journey"

What do you like best?

Before Smartlook we tried Fullstory however it not worth the price. Smartlook is offering a product with a similar features at a very reasonable price point. We really liked the funnel feature which helps us to identify the dropoffs in the customer journey. I am trying to figure out if they have field tracking option to identiy droppoffs from specific fields in the lead form, it is a good to have feature which other providers do not provide. We also liked the long list of filtering options.

I would recommend Smartlook to everyone who wants to see what their prospective customers are doing on the website and how to improve the UX and conversion opportunities.

What do you dislike?

Too early to say as I am still exploring most of its features. Could have been better if there was a Poll and Feedback tool like Hotjar.

Understand the dropoffs and resolve the issues to improve the customer experience on the site.

Marketing Manager
Computer Networking

"The eye we never had before! "

What do you like best?

Smartlook is easy to setup, easy to understand and easy to manage and this quality helped us to focus on what really matters to us right now.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Smartlook is doing a great job but the fact that events and funnels (for mobile apps) are only available in power mobile plan makes me sad.

Smartlook is the eye we never had. it helps us to understand what actually happens to our user and by now did a great job.

before Smartlook we had Firebase and Mixpanel, we had tons of data about what user is doing but we didn't know why and how users are interacting with our apps, Smartlook helped us see the WHY.

Head of Product Design

"Perfect blend of qualitative & quantitative analysis for our measuring our product"

What do you like best?

Smartlook is the perfect blend of qualitative & quantitative analysis for our product team. It's given us a new perspective on how users are experiencing our product — from how quickly users can achieve key goals, to what our product looks like on all kinds of weird and wonderful resolutions. The true power of Smartlook comes from how it captures every event that occurs, and then allows you to search seamlessly across all past events. You can also use these events in funnels and analyse where your users are dropping out of key workflows.

Since the events are all automatically tracked, we can ask "I wonder how many users have used this feature since it launched?" and get instant answers by searching the pre-recorded events. It's truly mind-blowing!

And last but not least, the support team at Smartlook was AMAZING! Our product uses a few layout attributes that the Smartlook recorder wasn't capturing correctly at first. The Smartlook team worked with us over 2 days to quickly resolve the issue to support our use case and now it's all working perfectly.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I'm disliking about Smartlook, although I'm looking forward to more flexibility with pinning stacked event charts (where I'm comparing multiple events) as a single dashboard tile. This would make tracking our key metrics really slick. Mostly I'm just excited to see where they take the product!

We've found we can use Smartlook to track feature adoption, see how users are interacting with newly released UI, discover usability issues, and reproduce bugs.

"Extremely useful tool to understand your visitor behaviour "

What do you like best?

Recordings is certainly my best. We know how the UI/UX is performing and what are the areas that we need to improve on. In page analysis has helped us a lot in terms of restructuring our UI. Smartlook has definitely helped us get more sales. Mobile recordings has been very helpful as we could then redesign the mobile layout according to the user behaviour. Access to location feature has been cool as well. Skip inactivity is another feature that has help me sneak through the user activity without wasting time when user is reading content or taking decisions. Page Navigation of the user helps us determine how we should plan our pages and what should be the pages we need to add after an effective content.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the visitors use VPN and we fail to get their exact location. Also the IP location tracking needs to be improved. Sometimes it is not accurate. The pop-ups and iframe screens are not shown which could also be a great way in understanding user behaviour. Smartlook does not have a mobile application. If you had a mobile application if would help us in many ways. Everytime we need to login to our web browser and look for recordings. I think this can be implemented.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Smartlook can really help your get insights of what your visitors are doing on your website. We certainly recommend smartlook for all website owners, designers and programmers.

User Behaviour

UX decisions

Response from Lukas Mehnert of Smartlook

Hello!

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are constantly developing new features and improving the existing ones. We are unable to track iframes, if they are from a third party, e.g. YouTube videos, chat widgets, payment forms - these are restricted from recording due to security reasons and we have no way how to overcome this.

Pop-up windows can be recorded, but the Smartlook code has to be injected inside of them (for more info, we recommend to consult an experienced web developer). As of a mobile app, we are currently working on developing it, we expect to launch it in June 2018.

Please let us know if you have any more questions, you can e-mail us anytime at: support@smartlook.com.

Have a nice day!

C

"Amazing software! So helpful. "

What do you like best?

I absolutely love the video recording aspect of website visitors. This is so helpful and I had no idea this software existed! I was looking for it for years. The heatmaps are also very helpful. I was previously using crazyegg which is only helpful up to a point. The ability to speed up video and share recordings is great too!

What do you dislike?

I don't know of a downside. I guess it would be great if it was integrated into GA somehow and ad platforms. It would be great if we could resell this to clients and include our branding on it!!! I know that several of our clients would pay for this and it would be very helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not sure.

We are trying to improve conversion. Still analyzing at the moment but it is helpful to see where people stop and read on the page. Just trying to look for patterns now. This is also helpful for viewing website abandonment during checkout.

C

"Must have in your CVR optimisation stack."

What do you like best?

Best part about this tool is the ease of use and the the way they make all the data accessible. Their platform is much better than most competitors at providing a good rendering of the website interaction. Other tools have a hard time to record interactions with jquery or animations which could be a big problem if you're trying to assess wither or not your contextual animations are hurting or improving user experience and ultimately : your conversion rate. The tool also provide neat tools to help make you understand your data without being overwhelmed by it. Being able to see trends in certain behaviours without going through hours and hours of session recordings is a major plus usability and will increase your chance of actually using the tool instead of just having it parked on your site collecting mountains of data you'll never look at. Another huge plus, being able to drill down on the user experience based on the channel source people coming from. This can really help you prioritize based on your business objectives and work on what has the most value.

What do you dislike?

Biggest downer is that the site rendering on heat maps is pretty awful - To the point you don't even recognize your own website. It's a tricky feature to nail, especially when you have lots of different layers of content overlapping (Sites built primairly with javascript and lots of animation, beware). That makes this key feature a little unusable if your were looking for this. Another annoying thing would be that the video recordings are sometimes lagging a bit and video can be glitchy with weird random zooms that don't necessarily happen on the site at times. This can make understanding certain user behaviour a little tricky, especially for people browsing quickly on your site, which is where the recordings tend to fail a bit more. Not a deal breaker but a little annoying.

Smartlook helps answering questions that would normally be very hard or very expensive to get answer to. Getting direct feedback from users without tinting the results. This has help me and my clients understand how their users interact with their website.

Marketing Director

"Very insightful and I am looking forward to see the data in a few weeks as it grows"

What do you like best?

The recordings, heat maps, funnels and the ability to find out users by using the API. I only signed up a few days ago and need to see more data for real insight.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet. I want to link it with our customer database to identify users. I see we can link it to Mail-chimp so we integrate it and test it.

Just started but we want to improve conversion and user experience. I can already see how smart look can be used to improve our website experience. The key for success for us is page conversion and I can also see how smart look can help us improve our conversions.

"Incredible tool to improve UX in your website"

What do you like best?

With SmartLook you can literally watch your visitor's actions: mouse movements, touch input, where they hovered, clicked, focused on, what they typed (but just non-secured forms) and where they are going. Heatmaps are also a great addition for A/B testing. You can also identify which user are returning visitors (if they've signed up in your website) and which one are new visitors by IP and location. Plus points that you can skip inactivity and speed up or speed down the player. You can also see different kind of user's actions at the players timeline based on nodes of different colors. You can add notes at specific times and the console can show javascript errors too, which is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it takes a while to the website to load at their player. I've also noticed it doesn't work well with dynamic caching, since it seems that the recorded version saves infomation from the former cached version and it doesn't load the resources accordingly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They are probably the best cost/benefit solution of this kind in the market right now and it really works wonders.

I'm solving a lot of navigation issues and discovering where the users are dropping out and why they are leaving or abandoning the cart. I've realized that without SmartLook, I would probably take at least 10 to 20 times longer to realize what was going on with convertion rates. This is truly a must have tool if you're about to launch an ecommerce and you want to see how users are reacting to your website speed, look and feel, layout and navigation flux.

Owner
Financial Services

"Fantastic service optimizing your website!"

What do you like best?

Smartlook provides a simple and clean interface for viewing recordings of all the visitors that visit your website. I'm able to easily view recordings of my users, as well as construct informative heatmaps.

What do you dislike?

Only drawback I noticed was when viewing mobile/tablet heatmaps, whenever a person scrolls down the webpage by tapping on their screen, SmartLook registers each of those taps as a "click", which makes the event tab cluttered with real clicks, and clicks that were just from scrolling down the page.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many companies out there that provide the ability to record your visitors, as well as set up heatmaps for specific pages. While SmartLook doesn't differentiate itself with features, it does with price. After considering half a dozen competitors, it was clear that SmartLook is most affordable.

I was able to figure out certain elements on my page that weren't properly being displayed on some resolutions. In addition, I've been able to figure out just much of my content is being read by my visitors, and in turn, switch my content around to improve dwell time.

"I've never seen such an innovative tool."

What do you like best?

Often we, design people, create everything thinking about how the user will behave and the user uses totally differently. Using the tool we can understand where we can improve and how the user behaves in fact.

This gives us important insights that make a difference in our ways of thinking design.

What do you dislike?

Currently the only thing I do not like is that the demo version does not allow me to track more visits from the same user.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The main problems solved are the problems of finding that the user behaves in a way on the site and discover that it behaves totally different from what one thinks. And I also do not need to be creating buttons with tracking tags to understand user behavior, I can create buttons just to know where each access comes from.

Communications Manager

"User oriented and very efficient"

What do you like best?

Smartlook is easy to understand and use. It has deep information on each visitor. It is clear, efficient and very useful.

What do you dislike?

Depending who is surfing our website at times (with the free version) the exact geographical location can be wrong. I do not believe it's a mistake from Smartlook, rather that it depends on the servers the IP address is using.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the free version and see if it fits your needs!

With Smartlook we can follow our visitor's steps through the website, see what pages interest them most and how they behave on our different sections. This helps with troubleshooting and most of all gives us great hints to make our website more user friendly.