Nielsen

Nielsen is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy.

Work for Nielsen?

Learning about Nielsen?

Nielsen Reviews

Showing 15 Nielsen reviews
Nielsen review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Use Nielsen Daily "

What do you like best?

For my purposes, I am running reports in Nielsen to access particular data sets I need for TV metrics (impressions). I feel that the ease of use and pretty basic format of the platform, works in my advantage for someone who is not of a dev mindset but needs to pull comprehensive reports.

What do you dislike?

Would really love it if Nielsen offered insights and the ability to pull numbers for streaming and digital content. Currently, we rely on traditional and of that most SVOD viewership is not taken into account. Moving forward, this is the future of the industry and Nielsen needs to catch up and make it readily available to it's customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nielsen is the standard of the industry, there really is no other data and measurement company that is as trusted as Nielsen. It has some processes still logged in the past but they are moving forward to make improvements in these areas, and try to accommodate the future of the data measurement we need (streaming for example). I have also had great experiences with our contact/service at Nielsen when I have needed help in the past.

Data collection, metrics measurement and validating ROI on traditional series.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Nielsen
Nielsen review by Steven C.
Steven C.

"Essential but outdated "

What do you like best?

There are a lot of available data points, and the functionality exists to search for an individual SKU by UPC code

What do you dislike?

The user interface is clunky, old, unattractive, and many selection screens are not very user friendly. In addition, it's frustrating to encounter bugs in the system that require me to log off and log back in again, wasting valuable time. The reliability of running a refresh is disappointingly low.

Understanding trends in sales volume, honing in on specific time periods and products, understanding competitive dynamics in the category

What Marketing Analytics solution do you use?

Nielsen review by Christina G.
Christina G.

"Current user of Nielsen Answers On Demand service"

What do you like best?

I like that it is a web based service and you are able to access and use from wherever you are.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the layout function of the software. It is not intuitive and takes quite a bit of manipulation to ensure you are actually laying out your data selections appropriately in order to return the data you are looking for.

I use Nielsen most frequently to monitor new item launches and also conduct deep dives on promotional activity to understand where there are optimization opportunities.

Nielsen review by Ernesto A.
Ernesto A.

"The industry's Gold Standard for media and online analytics! "

What do you like best?

I use Nielsen for radio and TV broadcast analytics for one of the major media companies and we've been able to find opportunities for our advertisers that they couldn't have known about otherwise.

What do you dislike?

It does have a learning curve, specially for markets that have daily ratings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have the necessary infrastructure to help any company get started and continue to grow.

We've been able to identify what our stations strengths and weaknesses regarding viewership, which helps to better position our station according to our clients' needs.

Nielsen review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"AC Nielsen Retail Database"

What do you like best?

Nielsen provides accurate 3rd party data. The particular database we use at our company is for retail products. Nielsen provides pretty accurate retail sales data, that cover 90% of the market we play in. They also offer information by SKU level for region retailer chain. They have various scantrack metrics, such as volume, sales $, price, distribution, and also calculated metrics to help companies with the analyses.

What do you dislike?

It is an expensive service. The database gets updated every week, but they do data roll-back time to time due to errors in the data collected. Hence, after all the analysis, we have to get refresh the data again and it often changes the conclusion. Also, the way they collect the data is that they have people on the field who visit stores every week, and notate the information. For some retailers they do receive scan data, but that is only a small fraction of the total US market. In order to

As a result, this is not exactly the 100% accurate picture of the market. They also have smaller retailers, like gas station or mom&pop shops that they don't get data from. What they do is that they will gather 40% of the total US market data, and apply statistical model to extrapolate what the full U.S. market looks like.

Another big chunk of retailer, Costco, does not provide data to Nielsen, so that is also something that we are missing on.

Since our company ships directly to the retailers, and not to wholesalers, it is

Nielsen also offers various research studies and analytics products that can help with our decision making and improve our business. Our company has used their price elasticity and promo event studies to improve revenue..

Nielsen review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"My go to resource for insights "

What do you like best?

Gets me to quick, actionable insights that I can use on the go when in customer selling meetings.

What do you dislike?

The interface for excel needs an update. It looks like it hasnt been changed since the 90s. Also, instead of the abbreviations, writing things out plainly would be helpful. I dislike havig to guess abbreviations and acronyms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use their answers on demand platform over excel extractions - it's a much better interface!

Every month when new data is available I pull Nielsen to see how my brands and products are doing. This allows me to have more meaningful conversations about opportunities, innovation decisions and where to put my bets for trade dollars.

Nielsen review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Retail data"

What do you like best?

Nielsen platform is very easy to use and the data is very rich for retail analysis. We used it for category analysis for presentation to retailers to help them manage their category and products. The data is very easily to obtain and integrate with other internal data sets.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing seriously I dislike about it. Sometimes, there is some confusion about hard coded periodicities

Nielsen review by Candace F.
Candace F.

"Excellent Platform for Insights"

What do you like best?

I like in the Ad Intel section how you can filter your request for information/data precisely down to what you need and it send back what you requested in an orderly manner with creative that is being run by competitors.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how long it sometimes takes to get back the information that you need.

Understanding competitor actions and progression. Great for strategizing a plan of action.

Nielsen review by Dylan G.
Dylan G.

"Nielsen Marketing Cloud Makes Media Planning Easy"

What do you like best?

I like the use of AI technology in Nielsen’s Marketing Cloud solution. It allows me to make live changes, as they happen.

What do you dislike?

I am not a huge fan of the multi-touch attribution, as I don’t often use it.

Nielsen has allowed me to execute my media plan across multiple channels, making strategies easy to implement and follow.

Nielsen review by User

"UI is lacking"

What do you like best?

Credible data that is the linear currency in the ad sales industry.

What do you dislike?

UI is slow and hard to use. Not straightforward or user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expensive, monopolistic.

How to craft stories to sell media effectively.

Nielsen review by Hugo Z.
Hugo Z.

"Great features, easy to pick up and learn."

What do you like best?

Ease-of-use, soft on the eyes, great business tool.

What do you dislike?

Fast on Wi-Fi, slow on personal data. Slow start-up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

Faster data input, I'm the fly problem solving.

Nielsen review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Best Linear Database "

What do you like best?

Nielsen is best option out there for linear data. It’s widely used, understood, and integrated.

What do you dislike?

Most media companies report using Nielsen data — I would argue that the numbers don’t translate well between linear and digital. Need updated industry metric.

Understanding reach and ratings of linear tv along with campaign ratings.

Nielsen review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Helps discover competitive data against our brands"

What do you like best?

Ad intel helps with creating reports for competitive data. This data is helpful when targeting demographics for specific brands.

What do you dislike?

Not as user friendly as you would hope. I have used other programs for competitive data and is a much user friendly program

Able to view competitors data which benefits other brands

Nielsen review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Invaluable experience with direct hands on monitoring of products."

What do you like best?

The organic feedback received and given.

What do you dislike?

The turnaround time was not adequate. It didn't always provide timely feedback due to the mail order component.

Product implementation and "bugs." Gives potential customers hands on experience with the products.

Nielsen review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Manager"

What do you like best?

Using this product for competitive reporting

What do you dislike?

the user interface is a little confusing

Competitive tracking and reporting.

Learning about Nielsen?

* We monitor all Nielsen reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.