iWave

iWave, an industry-leading donor research and wealth screening tool, helps nonprofits identify and better understand prospective major gift donors.

Work for iWave?

Learning about iWave?

iWave Reviews

Ask iWave a Question
Showing 137 iWave reviews
J N.

"Useful but could be better"

What do you like best?

If someone is a very charitable giver, iwave is great. It will pull a large portion of giving history, net worth, and political giving, Then, it is able to formulate a rating of how strong of a prospect they are. If people are a4 on i wave (the highest ranking) they are a hot prospect and we want to contact them ASAP

What do you dislike?

The issue with iwave is it is not very expansive. If you have only given a little bit here or there, it doesn't have enough info to pull up information on you. If I were just to look up myself (or someone similarly situated) there is insignificant data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good enough, but if you could find something better (where it can dig deeper into someone's financial history) that would be better

We use iwave to judge how likely a future donor (aka a prospect) is to give to us. If someone is highly rated we know they are more predisposed to giving to an organization like us

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about iWave
Suzanne B.

"iWave is the perfect tool for fundraising research on prospects"

What do you like best?

One of the many parts I use on iWave is the foundation tab and the donation tab. Unlike any other tool, the info is broad and specific. I get foundation board members, their donations to other orgs, I find names, salaries, titles, and financial info that I would have to search on every 990 - which is also provided if I need it. I also like the easy access to the 360onoline search for info, email, phone numbers, titles, boards, education.

What do you dislike?

My only suggestion to improve iWave is to make the printed saved prospect profile a little more readable as a word doc or pdf. The profile is great, but the graphics could be a bit better. I usually take out the oversized graphics and replace them - just another step - not a big deal. I don't use their printed profile for meetings.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the demo. You will receive the same care and support in the demo as you do in the subscription. You are working with great people at iWave - call or email any time and they are there for you - NO extra cost.

I have used iWave for over ten years and never work without it. It covers most of my research needs that other workhorse databases cannot provide, like LexisNexis, which is great, but the best pairing is iWave and LN. They are very complementary. The top feature for iWave is the relationship mapping through their exhaustive donor database. I match my prospects to people in foundations and in donations to other orgs.

What Donor Prospect Research solution do you use?

Dave A.

"All-in-one wealth prospecting and research platform"

What do you like best?

iWave is easy to use and has an intuitive user interface. In addition, the support staff always responds very quickly, and they offer regular user training whenever we add a new employee. I very much like that I can do Foundation prospecting alongside individual research, and the bulk data upload is an incredible value with a quick turnaround time.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike about this product, after two years as a user I can say the only limitation is one shared by every other prospect research platform: some entities and individuals are adept at shielding information about their assets and giving history. This is to be expected and is just one of the challenges you encounter in the field.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I utilized product demos for a number of other wealth prospecting software, and found iWave to be the most accessible and best value for our needs.

iWave allows us to easily build wealth profiles of our ticket buyers and donor prospects; In addition, the platform integrates comprehensive data on foundation giving and corporate contacts, making it an invaluable tool when preparing grant applications, opportunity research, and corporate proposals. One of the best features of iWave is the ability to research prospects without using your purchased credits. This allows us to quickly look up as many people as we want without worrying about running out of credits. We use our purchased credits in the Bulk Upload feature, which offers a great way to receive profiles on thousands of ticketbuyers from our database, and the turnaround time is only 36 hours.

Ryan M.

"My starting place for every research project"

What do you like best?

The most helpful feature to iWave PRO is the consolidation of multiple sources under one location. Getting a capacity (wealth) rating from the information you find is incredibly valuable. With 360 Search, I can take a first name and address and in most cases find career, home value and philanthropic inclinations all at once. When I am searching out new territories for gift officers, I want to know that the prospects I submit present have the capacity we need to make the a viable. I get that confidence when I search in iWave PRO.

What do you dislike?

I struggled most with the learning curve to ensure that I was gathering the correct and complete information on a prospect. The training sessions helped give some creative search ideas. Ultimately, iWave PRO can be a blunt instrument as it does not give any confidence ratings to the results, It simply returns them en masse.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iWave is a comprehensive tool that is easy to navigate and provides an abundance of information for you to consume. Take the time to use the demo credits and discover the potential sitting in your database.

I am a one person researching unit. I support five fundraisers with my efforts. Time savings is an obvious benefit to my organization. We have also increased our ask amounts in proposals because we have a more complete picture of our donors and their willingness and ability to give. Nothing can replace an in person visit, but the information I can gather helps secure that first visit more consistently and confidently.

Liz S.

"iWave is my right hand."

What do you like best?

I love the ease of using the 360 search - I can get loads of info very quickly.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a tab for advanced search criteria so I could specify last name for a search. Sometimes there's a last name that pulls up loads of first names (i.e. searching Scott Russell brings me Russell Scott too, or if I want to search only by last name so I can find spousal or trust-owned property, it's nearly impossible in a case like this).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I really did my due diligence in researching options - iWave was highly recommended by others. I've used other tools, and switched back to iWave.

Narrowing our focus very quickly - helping us know which of our donors have the capacity to do more. We've been able to put our resources where they're more likely to yield results.

Kim S.

"iWave as an Information Source"

What do you like best?

I like the 360-degree view of a prospect, which includes a lot of information on one screen. From there, I can dig into the data using other tabs, to get the insight I need.

What do you dislike?

I often fin the philanthropic information is incomplete, which requires I use other sources to paint a more complete picture of a prospect's philanthropic activity.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend iWave because it is a "one stop shop" for information on prospects. It is able to provide a 360-degree view as well as focused information (e.g., real estate, philanthropy, relationships). Another cool thing is that for some of the data points there are links to source documents, which is very helpful.

We are able to determine which prospects to invest time in order to cultivate gifts to our university. We're working more efficiently and achieving better ROI.

Aimee F.

"iWave PRO essential is my favorite research tool!"

What do you like best?

The 360 degree search is a one stop, quick search for a prospect. With just one search you are delivered a dashboard with information from ZoomInfo, Dun&Bradstreet, Donations, Political Contributions, TrackWealth, Real Estate, Foundations/Charities. We find that the information is very reliable and accurate. You can drill down into the .pdfs of annual reports, or 990s of foundations. You can click and get more details on property ownership. You can also export the data you find.

What do you dislike?

I think there could be more/better information on stock holdings. - seeing more of the SEC documents in the same dashboard would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is my go-to research tool, if you can only have one this is the product i'd recommend for sure!

We are able to prepare profiles on our prospects using the data that we verify from iWave.

Lorraine G.

"Great alternative to Wealth Engine"

What do you like best?

I like the rel-sci tab -- seeing how people relate to one another helps us better strategize on how to approach a potential new donor. The ratings give us an idea of not only someone's capacity but also the probability that they will donate to us.

What do you dislike?

I would like the contact information to be easier to find, when available. I also find the interface with Salesforce to be not as robust as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would spend some time using both Wealth Engine and iWave before making a decision.

In the past, we have done sizable mailings to the parents of our program participants with little to no ROI. This year, we targeted only those parents that had capacity with the hard mailing and sent everyone else an e-blast. The campaign was more effective.

"If you can only afford one paid research tool, make it this one."

What do you like best?

I like the ease and handiness of 360search; I also find the quality of the real estate search results to be quite good and useful. It's also one of the more helpful research tools out there for those of us doing international prospect research, as the ZoomInfo module grabs info on people from all over the world.

What do you dislike?

I don't find the Relationship Science module as useful as actually using RelSci. Since my office subscribes to RelSci, I just use that instead when I'm looking for that sort of information.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I've used iWave at a large research shop where it's one of many available tools, as well as at a small shop where we had a limited budget and I was the sole researcher. I've found it an extremely useful product over the years and I do not hesitate to recommend it to others.

I'm a prospect researcher, and I have been primarily researching prospects in the Asia-Pacific region over the last two years. iWave's ZoomInfo module frequently helps me verify employment histories and board memberships for those people.

Kay T.

"Learned to love it"

What do you like best?

I like the breadth of information it offers, for instance stock holdings, donations, real estate, political giving, foundations, company profiles, and they offer a database screening service, as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you have to check off each donor on each page. I want to be able to choose the whole page - or even better the whole list of gifts on all the pages. I can then sort them myself. I would also like to search for the husband and wife at the same time - and not have to do a search for each on separately.

I didn't buy iWave to solve any problems. In fact, I wasn't in favor of buying yet another database as I already was buying several others. But my business partner at the time talked me in to it and I'm glad she did. It is now my favorite wealth advisory database.

"Great- Easy to use and personalize"

What do you like best?

I like that you can perform both automatic screenings in iWave and manual searches of different databases. It is very useful for gathering data about specific individuals, but you can also use it for proactive prospecting and list building.

What do you dislike?

What may be an advantage for some organizations is a disadvantage to others. I dislike that when you change your preference settings, they only change for your user login-- not for everyone in your organization. It makes it more of a task to make sure everyone is on the same page. But on the other hand, different users can have different preferences, which is sometimes useful.

We are using iWave to prospect individuals who donate to us, so we know who to pay more attention to, based on affinity and capacity. We are also using iWave to prospect corporations. The donations tab allows us to look at a company's charitable giving history and see if we are a good fit for them.

Armen B.

"iWave PRO is productive"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and how it integrates with other aspects of iWave. Another plus -- and I hope they keep it -- is PIPL, which is there on a trial basis currently. I want to strongly recommend that they keep it! It is a major step forward in terms of being able to ascertain whether you have the right person.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found too many things I don't like, except that at times, info on previous professional experience is old, and I have to "manually" update via Linked In.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very reasonably priced wealth screening search platform.

iWave Pro helps me research my top major gift prospects and has helped me identify things about them that would have taken months.to research.

Lisa R.

"Informative, Intuitive Tool for Prospect Research"

What do you like best?

IWave PRO is extremely useful for pulling together all the different aspect of a philanthropic prospect onto one screen: employment, property ownership, ball-park of net-worth (as applicable) and giving trends.

What do you dislike?

The net-worth assessment is rather opaque; it's unclear where the data comes from and the ranges are wide. A high number is a good indicator of additional research required but doesn't nail down philanthropic capacity.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're doing prospect research this is a key tool in your kit. It will improve your ability to assess prospects as well as craft more resonant proposals.

PRO is key to understanding giving habits, existing giving levels, and areas of philanthropic interests for prospects. I am able to provide exponentially better guidance on all these aspects of Major Gift work based on data gathered from iWave Pro.

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

iWave is easy to use and a great one-stop shop for information about prospects. I like that I can find so much information in one place. I also really like being able to search real estate by address; it's a really good way to find multiple properties owned by a single individual. I'm also a fan of the SEC filings search; it allows me to narrow my searches on the actual SEC website more effectively. ZoomInfo's aggregation of business contact information is also really helpful.

What do you dislike?

I don't think the recent RelSci implementation is particularly useful. I also don't ever use the Prospects of Wealth section -- the information in there seems arbitrary and we don't get sufficient (read: any) information about how the conclusions are drawn. How does it know the liquid assets and that people are into wine and gourmet or home decor?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should definitely check it out and see if it works for your research shop! iWave is a really useful tool that I can't imagine having to do my job without. It's very user-friendly with a gentle learning curve, a huge time-saver, and a great resource.

It helps us find information about our prospects. We're able to save time by finding so much information in iWave instead of checking multiple databases. I also like the screening credits included with the subscription. iWave's screenings are done quickly and seem to be about as accurate as other screening services.

Rikki B.

"iWave has saved my professional life!"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the 360 search and how it populates professional information, real estate and donations of my constituents. I also really appreciate having the information from Relationship Science and Dun & Bradstreet.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything; however, I use the Thomson Reuters and Insider Filings less than the other categories of information.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a shot! While I do not use all the features available, those that I do have been awesome!

iWave has increased my efficiency at work for surface level verification of prospective donors. The benefit realized is increased return on investment of time input for research related efforts.

"Regular user"

What do you like best?

I use iWave daily. The sources and interface make it easy to find the information I need. I love the 360 Search and the ability to drill down into details for any of the results. Being able to sort and export donations is fantastic especially when researching someone with a common name, I can sort out the results that are not the constituent I am researching (based on middle initial or spouse name).

What do you dislike?

This is a tough question, iWave is my go-to source. It would be great if iWave could link directly to county assessor websites, as I have to go to the assessor sites to confirm if a constituent still owns the property.

iWave lets me quickly answer my development officers when they ask "is the constituent philanthropic?" I can quickly get an overview and more details as needed.

Michael P.

"Very intuitive and informative prospecting tool"

What do you like best?

Many donor prospect tools are fairly similar but what I really enjoy about iWave PRO is that you can adjust the settings to customize the scoring to a larger degree than I notice with similar products. This makes the output from iWave PRO much easier to interpret and use compared with scores derived with less transparency. In addition, iWave has research tools for Canadian prospects so anyone with donors or prospects in Canada will find resources through iWave PRO that are not available elsewhere.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to really think of anything to really dislike about the product honestly. If anything, I would note that our current contract only allows for a batch screen of around 5,000 records where other comparable products bundle in a much larger batch screening allowance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have found iWave PRO to be very intuitive and to also provide really useful information. That being said, I have had positive experiences with other similar products as well. I would definitely recommend trying it out and seeing if it is the right fit for you and your organization. I think it largely comes down to personal preference to be honest. The one major advantage that it has over competition is the Canadian resources which definitely set iWave PRO apart if you have prospects in Canada.

We use iWave PRO to verify wealth and to identify if a prospect has made philanthropic gifts to other like organizations. It is also a handy tool for finding additional real estate, board affiliations and general news and information about someone.

Amy L.

"iWave"

What do you like best?

We were drawn to iWave because our old research software did not pull information on foundations. We liked the ability to see where foundations were giving their money without having to pull a 990 (although you can get the 990 in iWave if you would like). The sources for donations and property seemed more up to date than the sources in our old system and the reports are more comprehensive. It even includes an aerial view of the individual's house. We also like that individual searches do not count toward your credits. The alerts is another feature that if very helpful.

What do you dislike?

When you are doing a search for a common name that has many hits, it does not let you exclude records that you know are not the individual you are searching for so it can be a little frustrating to search through a lot of records. That was one thing I liked about our old system. You could check off records to remove them from your search. You also cannot manually add property that you find independently to the property record. It will allow you to add it to notes but it does not include the property value when calculating figures.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are able to, this would be great to use in conjunction with another software. I wish I could combine ResearchPoint and iWave together.

We are able to get a better overall picture of our donors and what causes they care about as well as the appropriate amount to ask for.

Shannon R.

"Highly recommend iWavePro to Prospect Researchers"

What do you like best?

I can hardly remember life before the 360 search! Love it.

This is the only product that allows us to find some international information (especially Canada; we are on the border of Ottawa, Ontario). The new ability to screen Canadian prospects for estimated median household income and real estate value is fantastic!

The Prospects of Wealth alerts have been really helpful and we often find gifts to other organizations and/or additional real estate properties in iWavePro that do not turn up in our other subscription products.

What do you dislike?

We wish it returned more Canadian property data, but we know that is a work in progress.

I do wish Donations could be sorted by donor last name rather than having the full name sorted by first name - actually this would be helpful in all sortable fields.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try everything! Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Data Mining for new major gift level prospects ($100k+ over 5 years) for our next (largest) capital campaign.

Brian C.

"Great product, worth the investment"

What do you like best?

I like the up to date real estate information which we use to keep track of constituents and investors who have moved recently. I like using the 360 search as a broad overview to get started when researching a new constituent; it helps me get a better understanding of the kind of information available as well as help me sift out who the person is not (useful when dealing with common names in metropolitan areas).

The UI is easy to use and very intuitive. It's pleasant to look at and clean, so you're not distracted by nonsense everywhere.

What do you dislike?

On the real estate page, the "State" drop down menu lets you use the arrow keys when selecting a state after you started typing it in, but the "City" drop down menu does not offer the same set up. So it's a little annoying, for me at least for efficiency's sake, to have to use two different means of selecting the appropriate State/City. But it's not a "deal breaker", just a minor annoyance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My organization is religious non-profit and, like all research shops, we have to be careful about our overhead and what we spend our resources on. IWave has worked with us on pricing and helping us find a price that works for what we can afford. The product has been an investment that has paid for itself, especially when tracking down major donors for events and for our Major Gift Officers and our executive leadership. I've had the chance to recommend the product to a couple of other religious non-profits for the same reason as above and I would continue to recommend this product to any size research shop.

Many of our constituents will move without notifying us, so one problem that we solve is being able to track down their new addresses quickly. We are also able to see what they sold their previous property for and for how much they purchased their new property, which we then are able to let our Major Gift officers know if their constituent is in a good position to make a major gift.

I work for a small research shop (two people) and we have to use our time as efficiently as possible. Having one product where we can do a 360 search as well as drill down in things like business ownership, ZoomInfo profiles, donations, real estate, and foundation affiliation is great. It's especially useful in tandem with our other wealth aggregate software which we can then verify information between the two of them.

Deborah F.

"Excellent Prospect Research Tool"

What do you like best?

I like that there are so many different options, but what I tend to use the most is the Donations tool for finding gifts by companies. Most other tools are only effective for individuals, but with IWave, I can enter a company name and see what sorts of organizations and events they support. I also like the way that you can adjust the giving ranges for years, dollar amounts, even gift types.

What do you dislike?

All I can think of at this time is that I wish the Export process (e.g., for Prospects of Wealth) was a little easier. My main complaint is no fault of the product - I just can't seem to find enough time in my day to explore all the options in iWave!

Recently we have been looking for additional capital donors, and I've utilized the search by campaign type and also the Prospects of Wealth to try to generate some new names in our area.

Andrew A.

"Excellent product, UI and support. "

What do you like best?

I have found iWave's screening services to be extremely useful in qualifying donors - the philanthropic information with active links back to source documents is top notch. While I'm quite proficient in research and profiling, when the information I'm looking at is not completely clear, their support is stellar, responsive, knowledgeable.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations which I feel could be worked on - the data sets are intrinsically distinct, but I do think that cross-linking between certain ones (beyond the 360 PRO, which does a very good job) when attempting to create prospect lists beyond your known donors is still quite time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While there are other products in the space which we also evaluated, this is meeting our needs as a small nonprofit with limited staff and a small donor base.

~ Need to quickly come up to speed on existing donors, get to know them, create individual giving program

~ Need to quantify best prospects for outreach based on affinity and affluence

We've seen increased fidelity on our current donors as well as outside prospects, which helps guide conversations and activities with donors and ultimately grows relationships with accompanying impacts.

Catherine (Alex) T.

"Powerful and customizeable research tool"

What do you like best?

The 360 search is a pretty phenomenal starting spot for any of your prospect researching needs. I love that it gives you the option to search real estate records (no more real property searches!) and to view the original source of most of its data points. This really helps point me in the right direction if I need to dig a little deeper on a potential donor. The ability to include spouse names is also super helpful for partners who do not share the same last name, yet donate and/or hold property together.

What do you dislike?

I don't love the transfer of individual records into PROfiles. A minor thing, but the "select all" check box at the top of a data set doesn't actually actually include ALL the records if they take up multiple pages. So you have to go through each page and import them separately to get them all. We also have a unique issue as a DC-based organization, where many of our research candidates have donation, employment, and real estate records in multiple of the DMV states. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a way to restrict my searches to these states - it's either all the states, or just one. Finally, the integration with Tessitura's database software is a ways away from actually providing a real functional benefit to its users. However, we've been using iWave since before the integration, so any future improvements would just be a perk on top of the benefits we've already signed up for!

We are mostly doing detailed, individualized research on constituents that have shown promise based on initial interactions with us. We're exploring our potential options for a larger scale screening, but for now, it's a really phenomenal tool for condensing the super time consuming process of prospect research into a quick review of the most important information. The data sets provided are also intelligently designed to provide exactly the types of information we would look for.

Kristin V.

"Great for Identifying Prospect Information in One Place"

What do you like best?

It's extremely helpful that I can search PRO either across all tabs at once (using 360 Search) or going directly to the tab/source and search only that section. The information is accurate most of the time (which I can't say about other resources I've used in the past). I usually start my prospect research here first and confirm it with other, well known sources also. The real estate section is extremely helpful and the giving history can be exported into excel, which is beneficial to slice-and-dice for writing research profiles.

What do you dislike?

It's tough to search prospects who have multiple names. It would be more efficient if I could search more than one alias at a time, i.e. Boolean search logic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to make sure it does what you need and you practice searching. It's easy to navigate but it takes practice to fully use it's features.

We are using this to build prospect research profiles, which will ultimately assist fundraisers.

Jennifer F.

"iWave Packs a Powerful Prospect Research Punch!"

What do you like best?

iWave offers a package of very flexible tools to research and prioritize donor prospects. Whether you are a generalist or a prospect research pro, the tools are easy to use and provide you with as much depth as you want. Their new screening tool is a prime example of this! You can dig in, define the parameters, check on individual prospects and refresh, OR click and go. Intuitive and always on top of their game, the folks at iWave listen to their users and pay attention to the trends in philanthropy, technology, and research. Purchasing from iWave is money well spent!

What do you dislike?

Improvements are always a double-edged sword! I love the new data-sets, the screening tools, and ease of manipulation, but keeping up when I'm busy can be tough. Thankfully, if I can't make it to one of their trainings they are willing to walk me through it on the phone!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iWave PRO has the advantage of hitting the "sweet spot" in donor research. Most donor research is done at the identification and qualification stage, reserving deep research for those prospects who make it to the solicitation round. iWave PRO excels at identification and qualification, making your work faster and better.

As a multifaceted prospect research consulting firm, we get all kinds of research projects. iWave has pulled away from the pack in helping my team solve problems. We use the tools for researching profiles, prioritizing donors, and prospecting for new donors. When I added iWave tools, I noticed an improvement in the quality and depth of our work, but also the speed.

Learn more about iWave

iWave Videos

Learning about iWave?

* We monitor all iWave reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.