Gorkana Reviews & Product Details

What is Gorkana?

Gorkana provides media intelligence and insight to help you stay connected and manage your brands reputation, delivering campaigns, analyze impact and managing buisness value.

Gorkana Screenshots

1-25 of 95 total Gorkana reviews

Gorkana Reviews

1-25 of 95 total Gorkana reviews
Architecture specialist

"A good option to implement!"

What do you like best?

The way in which we can perform different types of files within it can do many things, among the most important is the analysis that we can take and continue to implement to be able to do a good follow-up and achieve something good to be able to work and generate a good development , considering the good factors is something very good since it can establish a good follow-up and form a good follow-up to be able to deliver a product with a greater probability of a good and wide service.

What do you dislike?

To be able to carry out a good follow-up is a little complicated to be able to analyze with greater efficiency in order to achieve a good establishment and also to be able to do many things which we can establish a suitable development and achieve a better efficiency, as well as analyze the market more effectively. to our users to be able to give a better development within it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a real software to be able to work in a correct way, it is a very suitable option to be able to implement in sample company

For a good development it is very important to be able to establish a good performance and likewise be able to have a good development together with our company users, to be able to work in a way in which our users and clients help us to understand the information adequately.

Event Services Supervisor

"Gorkana's full suite of media intelligence solutions"

What do you like best?

its average database is the largest and most extended, fast and easy to use, the best researched and the most powerful in the United Kingdom, where I give all my confidence and fullness to be one of the best and largest companies.

What I like most about this company is the following:

* its quick and prompt response with greater accuracy in the results than ever before...

* its easy use of this great tool

What do you dislike?

I do not like your customer service in my case they took too long to answer my concern

should customize its structure so that there is ample communication between the support and the user I do not like much the design of your program because for some it can be complex you need very little basic knowledge for its use, but there should be a tutorial depending on its level for its use .

their history has been increasingly outdated lately they should be able to update this service for the improvement of the user and thus be able to have a great sastifaccion when using it

Recommendations to others considering the product:

basic knowledge of software uses of this type,gorkana behavior analysis and the use of other tools for a better result and patience with support due to its lack of tool to communicate and solve problems quickly

Your communication data are sometimes wrong and I have to discuss with my colleagues to know if it is real, its software is very heavy which should have an update to improve its operation

Customer Relationship Manager

"Gorkana General Review on its Capabilities. "

What do you like best?

I love the accuracy of the PR results issued by Gorkana. This application give the users a clear outline about the insights of their clients concerning their firm.

Again, despite the hectic installation procedure, the support team provides the users with proper guideline about to manage and execute the software.

Furthermore, there is the security of this platform, which means, only the right people gain its access.

What do you dislike?

Nonetheless, Gorkana is not a light software. It calls for some more space in order to run swiftly.

Again, customizing Gorkana takes some efforts, and therefore, the vendor should look after this. But eventually, this product is quite helpful and we value its whole idea and creativity.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is always the need to have a PR analytical tool to detect the progress of your firm, and the perception that individuals have towards your company. And therefore, get the possible means of coming up with the best solution.

Media Monitoring and influencing were one of the main reasons of having this software. Eventually, we also included the whole idea of Public Relations analysis and evaluation.

"Does the job, mostly"

What do you like best?

Gorkana is a nearly comprehensive database of publication and reporter information. For the most part, Gorkana provides pretty accurate reporter contact information for journalists from all parts of the globe and publications from all sizes. You can find info on there for everyone from a small, self-run blog to the Wall Street Journal. The reporter pages, when accurate and complete, are extremely useful with contact details, notes on the topics they cover, as well as provides links to their social media channels.

What do you dislike?

Gorkana is not always the best at staying up to date on movements in the media. It'll take a few weeks for them to update the database if a reporter has moved to a different publication or beat. In general, I find myself having to double check the reporters listed beat as it's been right probably about 75% of the time in my experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I haven't used other platforms to compare the features, but many similar products offer demos which I would recommend taking advantage of.

As a PR professional, my main priority is developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and influencers. Gorkana helps me identify key journalists and provides the information I need to reach out.

Public Relations Analyst
Financial Services

"Best database found so far"

What do you like best?

We have a in house PR team split across continents. We needed a tool that would work globally, allow multiple users to access, and offered different standard ways to search contacts (beats, bio, coverage)

What do you dislike?

There could be less drop down menus and a reorganised interface

Create up to date contact list for pitches, find new contacts

UF
(10,001+ employees)

"Great media monitoring porgram"

What do you like best?

really enjoy the ability to create media monitoring lists for different topics, allows us to filter through what we need or don't need for a particular issue or topic. Makes it easy to identify and connect with journalists in our targeted spheres.

What do you dislike?

wish the interface was a little more sophisticated; it looks like like the 90's.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get your whole team involved in the implementation stage. The process is much smoother if you have a strategic approach to the organization's media priority topics and goals. Really research those identified in your media lists once you customize them to narrow your general topic into a niche field. Some reporters are more apt to pick up stories only in a small segment of a larger topic, and targeting them generally instead of with something that will really interest them, you'll lose the chance to build that relationship. Double check journalist affiliations on gorkana with the publications website; sometimes changes in employment aren't updated right away.

Attempting to demonstrate the value of PR and media outreach efforts beyond just press hits. Allows us to define statistics on topics and generate new ideas for how to stay on trend and get our message out there.

Account Executive, Corporate Affairs
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Great for media outreach"

What do you like best?

I love Gorkana and how up to date, accurate and useful the media contact information is. I use Gorkana regularly when building media lists and sourcing media contacts.

What do you dislike?

The Gorkana rapid response service could be faster. I also think that the search function could use improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the Rapid Response service if a reporter contact information is not listed.

I use Gorkana for media relations, outreach and engagement. It is very useful when sourcing reporters' contact information.

Security Officer

"My point of view about Gorkana"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface and the search functions capacities which have been helpful to me. I like the news that they send around through email, and the data they give about each contact. Is easy to use and very helpful.

What do you dislike?

I find that they don't have a solid database with updated contacts, I found a lot of existing contacts which are outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I suggest you Gorkana. It's something else, a different database..

We are utilizing the administration function as our primary media. The administrations enables numerous clients from our organization to sign on and the clients are each allocated with their own username. With Gorkana we can save money and time.

Employer
Insurance

"A potential mastermind in the PR world"

What do you like best?

Gorkana was a great alternative to Cision due to the red button and updated information. We used it to update and maintain media lists as well as reporter moves.

What do you dislike?

Red button was not as efficient as when we first started with the database

Some information started becoming out of date

No broadcast statistics

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It allowed us to better craft pitches to reporters

Updated information with notes is amazing. Gives more detail for reporters than Cision

Red button-- allows us to send inquiries with immediate responses

Senior Account Executive
Public Relations and Communications

"Very Good product, could always be better"

What do you like best?

I mostly use Gorkana for list building and finding specific contact information at media outlets. I find the database to be much more updated than that of Cision or similar products. Also, the rapid response team is great in assisting you when a contact is incorrect or not found.

What do you dislike?

As with any database, it could always be more closely monitored for people leaving different news outlets and joining others.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely a solid product with a lot to offer. Would recommend as your main list building software.

Gorkana is great to build a list based on specific criteria on journalists or types of news outlet. Laos, to find someones email or phone number quick, the search function is great!

"Great journalist database"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to search for journalist and usually am able to add them to a press list fairly quickly. I do like that I can contact anyone to help me add a journalist or a publication to the database easily. It's an easy to use database and it typically has a lot of journalists names and publications in there.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you cannot search for a journalist by state or city. It makes it very difficult for planning purposes if you are planning a media tour in a different city or need to find journalists in a specific city for a city-focused initiative. The customer service people at Gorkana are also pretty rude. I have emailed them in the past, and while they get back to me quickly, they don't read my email or give me an answer back that is pretty obvious and not the answer I am looking for. The database is also lacking. I feel like the people that work at Gorkana are not proactively looking to update the journalists profiles or find new journalists or publications. This is frustrating and when I have to email them 5 times about new journalists, it's like I am doing their job for their. Oh yeah and I am paying them to do this. It's very annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great product, and easy to use, but I wouldn't rely on it solely to create an accurate media list. It needs work in the sense of finding new journalists and publications and realizing that the space is changing and they need to adapt.

I am able to search for journalists in a large pool that cover the beat or sector I am looking for. The benefits is that it is quick, however, it's not always accurate. I have to cross reference the database with Google/LinkedIn profiles often because Gorkana is wrong a lot of the time.

AC

"Great media monitoring platform"

What do you like best?

This is THE BEST media monitoring system. The contacts in the media data base were always up to date. It was easy to find new contacts at new publications and in new industries and geographies. Working at a PR agency, it was essential that I could trust my media monitoring system for accuracy on reporters and publications. It was also great for distributing press releases. I have used Cision, MeltWater, and a few others, but Gorkana is by far the best. My current company doesn't use it unfortunately, and I really miss it.

What do you dislike?

Gorkana was a little complicated to learn how to use. It is a very complex system, but once you learn how to use it, it's fantastic! It is also one of the pricier platforms, but it is 100% worth it in my opinion. It saved me so much time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DO it! If you need to stay up-to-date on media publications and reporters, you need Gorkana. Also great for press release distribution, tracking email communications and monitoring success through analytics.

I was able to quickly and easily search for new media contacts and publications for pitching my clients. I was able to categorize media contacts any way I wanted, and also manage all email communications with them within the platform. It saved our company A LOT of time and money. The analytics capability was also super important in showcasing our PR efforts and our value to our diverse customer base.

UA
(10,001+ employees)

"Gorkana was an easy to use tool that helped in the PR industry"

What do you like best?

I liked how it was very easy to look up information about sources from any outlet imaginable. I was able to type in a name and see where they work and all of their contact information.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how some people chose to not give their contact info. there is no point of the tool if I am unable to see how to contact those individuals.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend to use this source whenever it is necessary to cold call or email newspapers. This database allows you to find the perfect contact for whatever your need is. I made huge spreadsheets of people who work at certain papers etc. and would copy all of their email addressed when sending out press reports. the tool makes research incredibly easy and enjoyable.

In order to properly send out press releases and information to relevant newspapers, magazines and news outlets, it is important to search which individuals would be interested in receiving this information using Gorkana.

Account Director

"A helpful tool"

What do you like best?

It can help PR pros connect with media and also learn what specifically the editors may be looking for in future story considerations.

What do you dislike?

Delays in dashboard information updates that can hold up reporting or measurement needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The dashboard and analytics are actually a tool that can be put to smart use.

It helps to put PR pros in touch with members of the media as well as deliver a unique dashboard to help measure PR outcome. The ability for measurement is inexact but there are solutions here that can be incorporated into reporting.

UP

"My love/hate relationship with Gorkana"

What do you like best?

I think the user interface and "quick search" functions have been useful to me. I appreciate the media updates that they send around via email, as well as the information they provide about each contact. They tend to provide much more in depth information about what journalists cover compared to their competitors.

What do you dislike?

I find that they don't tend to have a lot of contacts listed per outlet, and often the contacts are quite out of date. I find the search functions a bit cumbersome and not often specific enough. Their search bar can also be tricky - it won't often identify key outlets unless typed in a very specific way. I think they need to improve the search functionality, specifically as it relates to how searches are done geographically. Gorkana also rarely features audience data/reach of outlets.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are trying to save money and have multiple users that need log in at one time, I recommend Gorkana. Otherwise, other databases are much more robust.

We are using the service as our main media and influencer database. The services allows multiple users from our company to log on at the same time, unlike some of the competitors. Users are also each assigned their own username.

Project Coordinator
Public Relations and Communications

"One of the best programs you can have!"

What do you like best?

This program has the most updated contact information and even go so far as to note when a person has left the industry of expertise. Great tool for any company!

What do you dislike?

I think it would be much more beneficial if while searching, you could see how many outlets or contacts you've selected, as it can be a little confusing when you finish your search and don't know if the selected contacts will be present in your exported file.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think it should additionally be noted aside from when someone leaves an industry, to also note whether or not they wish to continue contact. If they have left to another outlet, it should then list relevant options as to whom should be contacted from said outlet.

When it comes to building the lists required for clients or tracking down the right reporters to pitch a client's story to, this program is by far the best program there is. It allows research on any given organization and whom to speak with to be as simple as possible. I love this tool!

UW
(Myself Only)

"Gorkana helps me keep an eye who's who in media world."

What do you like best?

Gorkana is an up-to-date resource to follow who's changing jobs or beats. It offers a look a who to pitch and where jobs may be open. It's great to be able to get direct email or social media contacts for possible sources or writing outlets.

What do you dislike?

The content is fine. Could you bump up the size of type to make it easier to read?

Gorkana is an all-in-one resource that saves time and the need to follow multiple sources.

"Gorkana is confusing"

What do you like best?

I like Gorkana because it is somewhat user friendly and easy to navigate. I have heard it is better than Cision but I don't have experience with Cision so I can't say.

What do you dislike?

It's extremely outdated and missing a lot of information. I do not feel like it is reliable when it comes to building lists. I don't like finding out of date email addresses or people who have switched outlets yet remain on their old list. I find it slow and it is also frustrating that it only holds a certain amount of seats.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I use it as a start to build a list but always go back and double check because it is not always reliable. The mapping feature is also not very helpful.

Streamlines research. Makes list building a lot faster.

UP

"Database for media contacts/intel"

What do you like best?

Gorkana has a large database of media/blogger/broadcast topics and it's easy to get contact details and baseline information in seconds. The Gorkana Rapid Response team is one of the best services alongside the product - if they don't have someone in the database, you just ask them and the team will do their best to gather contact info. There's also more sophisticated/advanced searches you can do to compile target lists by geo, topic, outlet type, beat, etc.

What do you dislike?

Even with Gorkana's data, I still find it's necessary to do manual research to confirm details and vet targets. Also, as with any service of this kind, it's not always 100% up-to-date as media tend to jump beats and/or publications frequently.

Getting contact info/research media targets quickly.

Help Desk Technician - Tier 2

"Find out what your client base thinks of you with Gorkana"

What do you like best?

The information that is given here is so easy to interpret and work with.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can have a lack of fine-grained reporting

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just do it

Before Gorkana, we were just selling a few items here and there, now we are rolling in cash.

UP

"A helpful and user-friendly database I use for media list building."

What do you like best?

It's easy to use overall and pretty intuitive. Searching and building lists is simple overall.

What do you dislike?

I often find that contacts I'm looking for are not in the database, or the information is out of date. Also, when I search for a common name of a reporter or for some outlets, the first results that come up are UK contacts if there are reporters or outlets with the same names in the UK.

It seems that my colleagues who build media lists using Gorkana more often than I do are often providing the updated and accurate contact information to the Gorkana team, or having to make requests for reporters/outlets to be added. While the Rapid Response team is typically very responsive and tries to be helpful, these kinds of delays in getting the information we need can negatively impact our client service and overall results at times. Media relations outreach often requires a very quick turnaround so it's important for us to have the needed contact information handy when outreach needs to be done.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's better than some of the others out there, but you may be disappointed if you enjoy Cision.

We are building media lists and seeking contact info for media outlets and reporters, and we've been able to do this through Gorkana.

UP

"Some advantages, but overall difficult"

What do you like best?

I really like how responsive they are with the Rapid Response function. They'll update journalists and outlets as needed, including finding UVMs/circulation figures. It's nice to have another person to help you out when you need something. Also, the national media/NYC based media is pretty well built out, and is updated somewhat regularly.

What do you dislike?

The local database - even in places like LA, can be very outdated. Journalists, entire outlets, circulation/UVM figures and freelance writers are often missing. Many times freelance journalists have phone numbers associated with them that are just to the main desk, and thus not useful if they do not work out of the office. Many people have addresses that default to their main publication, when in fact they're based in another office, work remotely, etc. With this in mind, you have to be very careful if you're sending anything by mail, and are likely to have the package returned in many cases. The search function is difficult to learn as well. It used to not let you export blogger emails, but fortunately that has been fixed. Another tricky thing about Gorkana is that it will not let you export circulation in many cases and doesn't let you search by DMA.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Weigh the benefits vs. the drawbacks.

We use Gorkana to build media lists and locate contact information for editorial contacts.

Senior Account Executive/Senior Digital Specialist
Public Relations and Communications

"Gorkana - great for media insight "

What do you like best?

Ease of use and reliability. It always is informative about the reporters background

What do you dislike?

Email addresses within the system are not always up to date

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Most reliable media tool I’ve used to date

Media outreach is easier

"Fantastic Media Database"

What do you like best?

Their media database was the best I've seen. No database is perfect but they have a team of people working on updating the contacts as they move and change from one company to another.

They also offered me a bespoke payment plan which was nice.

What do you dislike?

They didn't offer a trial which was a shame. Luckily I had many colleagues in the UK that had been customers for a long time which made the decision easier for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep in mind these guys are great for the UK market. I'm not sure how well they do internationally.

Finding relevant contacts n the media to connect with, Gorkana procides me with 80,000 journalists and 23,000 media outlets for me to use to get my message out there.

"Monitoring Tool "

What do you like best?

Easy to use to pull impression numbers for top publications - specifically referencing Cision Point.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is terribly outdated. If you don't type the title of the outlet in exactly like it is entered into the platform it will say there are no results.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I know that this platform is moving away from Cision Point and into something more user friendly which is nice. I think education is key so set up time with your Cision rep to understand the features of this new interface.

Using this to establish UVMs for top-publications that either our brands or our competitors were mentioned in.

Gorkana Features