Duo Security Reviews & Product Details

What is Duo Security?

Duo Security's frictionless Trusted Access platform protects users, data and applications from malicious hackers and data breaches. Our mission is to protect your mission. Duo Security makes security painless, so you can focus on what's important. Our scalable, cloud-based Trusted Access platform addresses security threats before they become a problem. We do this by verifying the identity of your users and the health of their devices before they connect to the apps you want them to access.

Duo Security Screenshots

Duo Security Profile Details

Duo Security Profile Details

Related Links
Q&A
English, French, German
Cisco
Description
Cisco delivers intent-based networking across the branch, WAN, and cloud. We provide end-to-end security, automation, and analytics with award-winning services and support.
1984

Logistics Coordinator of Short Term Ministry
Most Recent Duo Security Video Review
Account Director
Public Relations and Communications

"Works Fine Past the Initial Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

Push notifications are much better than receiving a text message and require a minimal number of clicks/taps

What do you dislike?

Setup was incredibly challenging without IT support

Recommendations to others considering the product:

From a user perspective, I'm a fan given the push notification options.

I understand the need for dual authentication, especially when laptops are easily stolen, working for a global company where travel is a frequent, etc. It's a necessary evil, but Duo makes authentication rather simple - once it's set up.

Let's say you're prompted to change your password by your administrator or log out of your company's intranet. You'll be prompted to provide your password, and a Duo push notification will be sent to your device. Swipe to open the notification, and tap the green check mark. It's relatively easy, and much better than punching in a 6-digit code from a text (though you can go that way as well).

I appreciate the fact that Duo allows me to authenticate via both my work and my personal phone. If I don't have my work phone nearby, it's easy to log into Outlook web, authenticate via the same phone that's in my hand and view my meetings for the next day, for example.

The one thing I didn't like was setup. I traveled to another office the minute I started with my company, and found myself in a catch-22 where I couldn't set up Duo without my email and couldn't log into my email without Duo. The situation was easily resolved, but be aware that setting up Duo requires a bit of IT help and isn't completely self-serve.

IT Security Engineer

"As easy as it gets. "

What do you like best?

Duo 2FA has been the best feature that we've implemented throughout the company. I can secure connections easily and with Duo Push we can manage end user access very easily. A company wide initiative is in the works, that will enforce 2FA for more of our day to day product usages. This will be made very simple through the use of Duo 2FA protection and as testing has shown, it should be spot on reliable to utilize.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really much of anything I've found that I absolutely don't like. For the most part, the product is intuitive and simple to setup and maintain. One of the only complaints I have is that the portal can seem a little busy on the surface and somewhat difficult to navigate for the beginner. I've been using it long enough that I'm used to the work flow within the product but some of our new hires have found it to be a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As always, configure everything carefully before implementation. The only thins we found was that we really needed more licenses to accommodate the growth we saw after initial implementation and also for the expanded protections applied for 2FA.

Mostly 2FA for a multitude of protected systems. We have begun looking into expanding the MDM features for better administration of BYOD cellular devices. A move that we once attempted via another company but because of the requirements, failed.

Chief Technology Officer/Director of IS

"Duo Mobile - Now I Can Sleep at Night"

What do you like best?

Duo Mobile provides 2nd Form Factor authentication in a variety of ways so it can be very flexible. Using an app on the phone, you can receive push notifications, you can receive a call from the system, or you can receive a text. Integration with the various systems was straightforward and simple for the most part. And where the integration was complex, Duo's support desk walked us through the process. Knowing that a bad actor now has to not only steal credentials but obtain the users mobile device information gives me a sense that we've done all we can realistically do. User enrollment and management is a breeze. And the best news, it's affordable protection.

What do you dislike?

I honestly do not have anything about Duo that I do not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have any form of remote access to your network, you need this product.

Duo Mobile helps us ensure the security of remote access to our network.

ETL Analyst

"Easy two-factor authentification"

What do you like best?

I really like the integration this security system offers with Apple and Android devices. Especially the Apple Watch. It is very easy to accept a push from your phone when you want to get into a secured system quickly. I also like that sometimes you can use a code produced from the app to get into a secured system.

The home page is also very easy to use and navigate.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have to go into the app to actually make the push alert appear. Also, you have to unlock your phone to accept the push or it won't work. Also, if you don't have your phone with you, you have to have the password to get into your systems.

We are using this product to keep a firewall between the outside world and our sensitive property. It is a good way to separate what is not a secure system and what is. A benefit we have realized is that we are able to use this 2 factor security system really seamlessly with our password management product. It makes it really simple and easy to get into Duo in other ways beyond the simple push option.

"Keep your access safe with Duo Security"

What do you like best?

Duo Security is an application and program that is easy to use. We believe it is the best for two-step authentication access. From the moment you install the program, its use is very simple and when you set it up in your pages or devices you only need to show the pop-up window with your unique code to be able to access your pages or applications. It is the best in terms of security it is about!

What do you dislike?

This program complies with what it promises and we really do not have anything negative to say about it, just make sure you have your mobile phone with enough charge so that you can access the application and therefore your pages with double authentication. And if you do not have a good network, it may be difficult for you to get the access code, for the rest Duo Security is a very good security program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If in your company you want to improve the security of your workers or clients who need to access certain pages or platforms that require the use of a password, Duo Security is the two-factor authentication program (or Multi-Factor Authentication) that you should use and recommend.

Before using Duo constantly our workers and customers changed their password and thus be able to maintain the security of their accounts or pages with access, now since we use Duo Security the accesses and passwords are safer and can be conserved for a longer time. Finally mention that it also serves for third-party applications and personal use.

Director Of Information Technology

"Increase your security mechanisms"

What do you like best?

It is a software that has a fairly simple line of learning, that helps you to understand the operation of the system right away.

Something very useful is that it eliminates the need to keep track of external network keys, the different passwords we have and other activities related to security and privacy. Duo Security allows all this to be integrated within your system and you do not have to be using and managing several applications for different aspects related to security.

It integrates easily with third-party applications, allowing you to integrate and manage various applications within your system.

What do you dislike?

If you have a phone linked to the application and have a problem with it, it takes a while to restore everything on the new phone. It would be good to simplify the change of phone and to dump the information within the new one does not take so long.

Push notifications sometimes do not go well, may take a while or arrive several at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Facilitating user access to the system and having more control over the privileges of each user accessing the system and the data entered in it is what this application provides. It is software that increases security in your company and control over your users.

Having the 2FA authentication for our passwords and applications makes the data much safer. It is important for us the information we have within our systems and this software makes us more certain that it will not be lost.

The users that we have within our system also have much easier to interact and enter information within the system, since it is very easy to authenticate through this tool and allows us not to waste time using other applications. In addition, you can easily manage and grant permits to new users, you have a lot of control over what you can or can not do.

"Log in reliably with Duo Security"

What do you like best?

Duo is a program is an intuitive and modern program, very easy to install and use. Duo will allow you to use your free plan, manage 10 users at the same time, something that other programs do not have, besides, their payment plans for companies are excellent. In addition to allowing us in your free plan, administer 10 users at the same time, something that other programs do not have, also their payment plans for companies are excellent.

What do you dislike?

We have worked with Duo Security in more than two years and it has been great and above all it covered all our needs. However we can say that sometimes automatic notifications do not arrive instantaneously if the person who uses Duo does not have coverage on his cell phone or device.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Our company definitely recommend this program 100%, it is extremely complete, modern and integrates very quickly with other platforms. It is a program where you will find everything it promises in terms of security. If you want to maintain the security of your customers, workers, personal and business data, this is the tool for you and your company.

We were able to install Duo Security easily in Android and iSO phones, also our clients and users could log in securely in their accounts. It offers comfortable prices in its plans. And it gives us alternatives to enter as text messages, pop-up messages and phone calls.

Consult

"The security that Duo Security has given us"

What do you like best?

Duo Security is a modern and intuitive tool with a very easy-to-use interface. Duo has made it easy for our company to use 2FA in several of our services, such as logging in securely, in addition to easily integrating with other services or third-party applications. Not to mention that you have a free plan where you can manage up to 10 users and other plans with excellent prices for companies.

What do you dislike?

Duo Security has worked very well for a long time and has been able to cover our needs and we can only mention a small detail that can be taken into account, such as the irregularity of automatic notifications if the user does not have a good reception on the cell phone. For the rest, we do not have any negative aspect to mention, it is a good security program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We believe that we have nothing to recommend, it is a complete, efficient, easy, modern program to use, install and manage, complies with everything it promises and a program that we recommend satisfactorily.

It helped us to provide greater security to our users and customers of remote assistance with the 2FA for the start of session in a secure way, it can be easily installed in iSO or Android devices which helps us to cover a wide variety of users. They can be authenticated through push notifications, phone calls or text messages. And he offers us prices in all his plans.

Medical Student
Medical Practice

"Two-factor security for accessing protected information"

What do you like best?

Our team's research utilizes protected information that only authorized users can access. Duo provides a simple mobile app synchronized with an online account that provides secure two-factor authentication. This method of secure authentication is reliable and fast.

What do you dislike?

Duo becomes tedious for employees if companies require all websites to use Duo. If a Duo sign-in is required at every log in (rather than once every 12 hours or 30 days, for example), it might hinder rather than help.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Administrators should be sure that only those applications or websites containing protected information use Duo. Become familiar with and use the options allowing for an extending login time without having to go through Duo again. These two recommendations will save employees a lot of tedious trouble using Duo.

Ensuring that employees are accessing protected information securely and safely is made easy with Duo.

Inside Sales Manager
Industrial Automation

"Unmatched security at incredibly reasonable prices"

What do you like best?

DUO offers us 2FA security without the considerable costs normally associated with 2FA. Rather than having to run our own 2FA server at significant costs and maintenance requirements, we are able to have a simple deployment for our users and get the security we need.

What do you dislike?

I have been using DUO for years now and haven't had any issues to date, I'm truly a happy customer when it comes to DUO.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DUO is an industry leader when it comes to network security. They are currently being acquired by Cisco, another industry leader in this realm. I can confidently recommend DUO to small and large business who take security seriously.

We discovered DUO soon after our company was hit by a sever cryptolock attack. This was due to a user using unsecure and repeated passwords. Adding the 2FA layer from DUO solved the issue of allowing someone to remotely access a system, even if they were able to determine a password from brute force, phishing or other social engineering based attacks.

Director of Client Services
(10,001+ employees)

"DUO authentication for MFA...it just works"

What do you like best?

Once a user has completed setup of DUO, using it for authentication to secured sites is easy and straightforward. The multitude of authentication methods available through the service ensures that even the most finicky of users will have a method they are happy to use.

What do you dislike?

Initial setup can be on the complicated side for end-users. It's possible that our own implementation of the product has led to some of the setup difficulties we see for users, but setup still seems more cumbersome than other MFA authentication products.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DUO is a reliable and effective MFA solution. I've personally used others in previous positions, and DUP proves to be far easier to use daily for end-users.

We use DUO to provide MFA services for a wide range of secured sites and platforms.

Practice Manager, RP®
Financial Services

"Super easy to install and use for 2 factor authentication"

What do you like best?

This app is so easy to use and set up. I have multiple computers and websites set up so I can receive DUO authentication codes for many different programs. Easier than any other I have used.

What do you dislike?

I don't see any downsides, this is hands down the best 2 factor authentication app I have used.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This app is super easy to install and start using. You can use the q-scanner to automatically link up your programs and this is not a difficult task.

We are a highly secure office. We work in finance and all of our programs from email to financial software now requires 2 factor authentication and this allows us to do so securely.

Senior Programmer

"Best Security app for login"

What do you like best?

The best thing about this software is that we can not login to our work station unless we pass through Duo Security. There is a mobile app for this which makes it easy to authenticate. We just need to tap "Approve" on the login request sent to mobile app. There are three types of login. One can choose any type based on their liking. One can login using passcodes, call on spot or just clicking approval system.

What do you dislike?

Adding account to Duo is time consuming. I had lost my mobile phone and wanted to configure duo again to login to my work station. I had to wait for the administrator to add my account. If he was on a leave then it would have taken another day and I would not have logged in to work station.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

One must give it a try to if they want to secure their work stations. Will make work more. secure.

Using this software it makes sure no one else login to our work station except the authenticated user. Benefit of this software is that it makes our work secure.

Software Support Engineer

"Streamlined MFA solution used at my company in combination with Okta SSO"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can send a push straight to my iPhone and then authenticate with 3D touch and touchID. Authentication is extremely fast compared to MFA through google, apple, etc

What do you dislike?

I wish that I could set Duo to always automatically push to my phone instead of asking me to select an option. I also wish that I could have Duo be already authenticated on my iPhone after restoring from an iCloud backup. I tried restoring on an itunes backup and it works if the backup is encrypted. On an iCloud restore you will need to re-authenticate the device.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend trying it. I just found out that Okta has it's own MFA system that I'm sure would integrate well with Okta. However, Duo integrates very well and works very quickly. Highly recommend.

Duo has allowed us to set up MFA for our applications on Okta as well as for OpenVPN connect to securely authenticate sign in by users in the office and working remotely.

(10,001+ employees)

"Convenient extra layer of security"

What do you like best?

Compared to other two-factor authentication platforms I’ve used, this one is more reliable and feature-rich. Every time I request a sign in, I immediately get a notifcation on my phone, whether the app is open or not—no delays or inconsistencies. I also like the multiple options for verifying a sign in. I mostly use “Push,” but I have occasional used “Passcode,” and that’s equally reliable if slightly less convenient. Finally, my initally registration with Duo took mere milliseconds, thanks to the option to scan a barcode provided by my company to add an account.

What do you dislike?

When my phone broke, I was unable to access my accounts because I didn’t have access to that device to verify my sign ins. Luckily, my replacement phone has the same number, and I got the replacement quickly enough to minimize my time without access, but I wish Duo would come up with a solution for registering a back up device to avoid this problem. Also, if my phone were stolen, I’m not sure how to remotely de-register it with Duo, so having a blurb about that in their “User Guide” that comes with the app might be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s the best dual-authentication platform in terms of user experience that I’ve used.

Duo allows me to have another layer to ensure the security of patient information, further preventing possible breaches of health data beyond usernames, passwords, and other access restrictions. The Push notifications are convenient in that I don’t have to enter an extra passcode and would immediately be notified whether someone else were trying to access my accounts, even if the app were closed.

"Tedious to set up, but generally quite user-friendly"

What do you like best?

We use Duo for logging into just about everything at work, and I could set it up to call me on my work cell, my personal cell, or my landline at work. This is helpful for days when I'm working remotely or left my work phone at home; no matter what, I can still log into everything I need to keep working. It's great.

What do you dislike?

The login requests time out pretty quickly. I know this is important for security purposes, but sometimes you get distracted or something else comes up and then you have to start the whole process all over again.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We use this to manage a single sign-on with just about every website and application we use at work. It's nice to only have one username and password for everything, and Duo helps make that a possibility.

Teacher
Education Management

"Due Mobile for Additional Security"

What do you like best?

I like that the app allows me to send a push to my phone to authenticate my email login. It is very user friendly and I feel like my email is very secure.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes if I have poor cell service, I do not receive a push notification but I don't necessarily attribute that to the app itself, it's more of a minor inconvenience.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this to anyone who is concerned about email security!

I have solved the problem of adding an additional layer of security to each email login and I use my school email daily. Each time I login I know that no one else is able to use my email because I would get notified on my phone.

IT Support Intern
Higher Education
(10,001+ employees)

"Great But Not Efficient"

What do you like best?

Increased security which needs to be identified twice before logging into various accounts. Can be verified through mobile app.

What do you dislike?

Although this increases security, it is very hard to verify user when you lose your mobile device. It has to verify by a push through app, a code through the app, or mobile phone number.

One day, sister mistakened my phone as her’s and took it with her. I use my phone for Duo during my job. All my work application depends on Duo. Without my phone with Duo app,I wasn’t able to access anything on an unfamiliar device. Made my job very difficult that day.

Good concept, but needs more verification options

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Add multiple devices to verify!

Increases security in work applications

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Two-Factor made easy"

What do you like best?

Simple to implement, It provides secure authentication. It is easy to enroll and manage users. Support for Apple and Android devices. Easy to implement with most authentication infrastructures.

What do you dislike?

No complaints. All is working well. The fixed a minor issue several months ago where the screen would pause to display some text then adjust down slightly causing you to touch the wrong area if you used the app quickly (open app and instantly lookup your 6 digit number). All is well now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They offer a trial period which can help determine if it is right for you. More than likely you will be pleased and decide to implement.

Using DUO to authenticate applications eliminates the need for password changes. This is a welcome change for most users and a welcome change for the Help Desk as people tend to put off forced password changes to the last minute, forget the new password, or not change it in time.

Outpatient Services Coordinator

"Very secure "

What do you like best?

Since duo is accessible from your mobile phone, it is very convenient and fast.

What do you dislike?

The only thing i dont like about the duo security is that when you are logging in it takes an extra step, however that assures no one else can access my information.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Duo is very user friendly and I feel like it a very good way to insure that your stuff is secure

The benefits are solely security benefits, no one can get access to my work information or my emails with out having access to my duo and i get an alert every time i need a duo login.

"Great two factor authentication app"

What do you like best?

The 30 day access option makes login on non-public desktops and laptops I use in my office, and on my own personal devices I use on campus quick. I don't ever have to worry about my phone not being charged to approve push notifications.

What do you dislike?

I absolutely hate when my phone isn't charged, or I don't have it with me while troubleshooting AV issues around campus. It takes a lot more effort to get logged in the websites without a phone or a chromebook that is recognized by DUO, and that's very inconvenient when I need to access university web pages that require my credentials.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For organizations and institutions wanting to increase security that may be compromised through phishing attempts via email, this is a great option. It has cut down the traffic at our main support desk where users receive help recovering passwords.

Before requiring employees to use Duo, and really bringing awareness of the app to the rest of the campus community we used to waste a lot of time resetting passwords for people who fell for phishing scams. The section of our department responsible for user accounts spends a lot less time resetting passwords and is more available to address more complex issues.

AF

"Super simple 2FA"

What do you like best?

It is a 2FA solution with easy management and compatibility with a good selection of vendors. There are integration tools that will let you add 2fa to a number of popular platforms that don't offer it natively. The dashboard is clear and simple. User management is a no brainer, and there are some nice little reports that give you an accounting of activity. There is even an apple watch client app that provides a one touch approval for multi factor logins. The directions for the integrations with third party products are clear enough that we have never had a problem tying them in to the Duo system.

What do you dislike?

Not much. It would be nice if they offered a tier with more security options, such as limiting access by geography or whitelist only ip ranges.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is extremely simple to get up and running. If you already have products that authenticate using radius or ldap, you are halfway there. The back end service does have occasional and brief outages, which may cause a disruption for very large organizations with a constant flow of traffic, but for our needs, the downtime has been almost imperceptible. For authentication against local resources, you will need to host a proxy server in house to which requests will be forwarded.

We have been able to add multi factor authentication to several platforms where we did not have it before. The amount of security this adds for the price is absolutely worth it. We are able to better secure anything that authenticates through our active directory.

"Full feature 2FA Provider"

What do you like best?

I like how well different integration topics are covered by Duo's knowledge base.

What do you dislike?

Automated emails from Duo's billing and sales team seem to go to junkmail because they use some service. While not the worst thing in the world it seems odd for a security company and wish I did not have to miss them. The billing emails don't seem to be able to even have a consistent rule applied to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check to see if other hardware and services you use in your environment support Duo. Chances are they do!

We're solving the problem of 2FA authentication on Windows across different services.

Research Area Specialist
Research

"Duo Security "

What do you like best?

The Duo app makes logging on very easy and efficient. It's very intuitive.

What do you dislike?

If you do not carry your cell phone with you all the time, there may be times you cannot log in because you cannot access the Duo app.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are considering a way to ensure your data/email/documents are more secure, Duo makes it easy to do so.

Duo is supposed to make it more difficult for hackers to access your email as well as other important websites that may contain sensitive information. I like the added security it brings and provides peace of mind, especially when you are dealing with confidential data.

UL

"If I have to use it, at least it's the best to do the job"

What do you like best?

That it's fairly easy. I'm dislike that my school has switched to multi-factor authentication, however if we HAVE to use it, I prefer it to, say, Amazon, where you have to be texted.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if I don't have my phone or passcode, I can't get in to websites I need. I also dislike that some sites require duo, but don't actually have the duo confirmation page come up (you have to use your phone or change the password to include the passcode).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need multi-factor authentication, this is the best possible product to do it.

Protecting valuable data on education as well as billing.

Hardware - Network Tech

"best all in one SSO/2FA product i have seen so far"

What do you like best?

As an admin, this is super simple to install, configure and be up and running in no time.

What do you dislike?

That the trial version is only 30 days. You cant really get a true feel for a product in your environment in such a short time. the 30 days includes weekends, so in reality you may only truly get more like 20 days.

secured dual authentication and SSO for the various cloud services we use in house.

Executive Assistant
Internet

"Very simple to use!"

What do you like best?

I use Duo Security almost every day, and I've always had good experiences with it. It's quick and easy to use. I have never had any issues at all. When using the app, I have them send me a push, which sends me a login code. Everything happens within seconds, which is great. There's no waiting time.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick something to be annoyed about, I would say it's the fact that I had to download an app to my phone in order to use Duo Security. But overall, it's not that big of a deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not all employees will want to have the app on their personal phones.

It adds extra security when logging in remotely.

"A Necessary Evil, But I'm Thankful"

What do you like best?

Duo seems to be safe and ensure security, but the most important feature for users is ease of use and approval. I find Duo very easy to use and with an iPhone 7 with the haptic button, I can approve without having to find the Duo app and maneuver through the app to approve. Instead I can do it through the push notification and finger print ID.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that Duo is doing poorly, though I miss the days without dual sign in and extra security, but like I said, it's a necessary evil.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I absolutely would. Again, dual security adds another step in my day, but with the push notification and Apple Finger ID, plus one day sign in, Duo makes dual authentication a breeze. I would say that if you lose the ability to send a push and you have to use the phone call, it costs Clemson a decent amount of money.

Security and assurance that no one is discovering secure information. I have realized that hacked information is a serious problem and risk and Duo makes authentication easy.

"Easy to Use Security Tool"

What do you like best?

It's so simple to get users signed up with Duo and the configuration steps are so simple, making it foolproof.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we have issues where users don't always get the notification they have something awaiting their approval or it requests the approval more than once.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a seamless integration that works on various platforms with a consistent design for ease of use among all users.

This allows us to troubleshoot remote connectivity issues based on if they're reaching the point in the process where Duo is being notified of a login attempt. This makes my job easier to see where the steps are failing.

US

"Great security measure"

What do you like best?

I love that you can access DUO from a mobile app - makes having a secondary security measure not be a pain, but still be effective. It's also very quick; the log in request comes up on my phone almost immediately when I try to log into my account from my computer. I also really like that after I approve on my mobile, it will automatically take me to the next log in screen on my computer (I only have to do the one submission).

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike about this program! It is straightforward to use, and seems to be an effective security measure!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is easy to use and understand -- we did not have any issues that I know of implementing this technology throughout our departments. People seemed to get the hang of it right away, and only a few people of older generations seemed to push back a little. Overall, using Duo for secondary authentication seems like a win-win choice.

It makes our employee accounts much more safe. While it works quickly so that it does not hinder everyday time sheet entries, it protects private tax information, etc. much better than having a single log in product. If anyone ever tries to log into my account -- I definitely know, no matter where I am or what I am doing!