Splunk Enterprise

Splunk is a software platform for machine data that enables customers to gain real-time Operational Intelligence.

Work for Splunk Enterprise?

Learning about Splunk Enterprise?

Splunk Enterprise Reviews

Showing 305 Splunk Enterprise reviews
Splunk Enterprise review by Gregg W.
Gregg W.
View Original November 22, 2017

"Splunk: IT legos for Beginners through Master Builders!"

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Splunk Enterprise
Splunk Enterprise review by Hardik S.
Hardik S.

"Splunk : A powerful yet fast data analysis tool"

What do you like best?

Splunk Enterprise is one of the best data analysis or log monitoring tool. It has very clean and simple user interface which I like a lot.

Along with that Splunk is highly optimized that it can ingest a huge amount of data and let's us query any event from it real quick.

Splunk is a complete software with very less / minor bugs that makes it stable.

Splunk has good and active community which helps a lot to solve doubts of new developer which is something I like most about Splunk.

What do you dislike?

Splunk Enterprise has no major dislikes but I would say that you need to invest some time to get a better grip on Splunk. There is a learning curve here. But again Splunk has tutorial course to get started.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Splunk Enterprise is one of the best tool for data analysis in the market and some big companies are also using Splunk to monitor their data. So you can always learn Splunk and get better job. I do recommend Splunk.

In our organization, we use Splunk Enterprise to develop Splunk Apps for our customers and deploy that on Splunk Base as well. Splunk is very fast in terms of querying so we don't have to worry much about the optimization of our app.

What Big Data Analytics solution do you use?

Splunk Enterprise review by Bharat V.
Bharat V.

"Splunk : The very powerful tool for data analysis"

What do you like best?

Splunk is a great tool for data analysis and mainly log monitoring.

You can ingest a very high amount of raw data in it and is does it very quickly and then you can have search in data using their query language.

Splunk is very rich in terms of documentation which really makes you going easy.

They offer a trial version to everyone and to developer they provide free license for sometime that is a great thing.

What do you dislike?

There used to be a lot of bugs in Splunk in it's initial years but it has become stable over time with version upgrades. So, no big dislike from me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Splunk to IT freshers to learn Splunk as it is a good platform and it is growing good.

I lead a splunk developers team in our organization and we create splunk applications from our clients. Splunk community and it's assistance really helps us a lot for troubleshooting and doubts.

Splunk Enterprise review by Nimesh M.
Nimesh M.

"Review for Splunk Enterprise"

What do you like best?

Splunk is a very powerful tool for data collection and analysis. Splunk has the capability of searching a particular data from a lot of events within seconds.

Splunk has good documentation that can help you learn and become a splunk developer.

Splunk even provides an online basic course to get started.

Splunk has a good user base which are active on splunk-answers platform which is the best thing I find.

What do you dislike?

There are not much thing I dislike about Splunk but I would say that you need to invest some good time to learn Splunk and only after that you will be able to take most out of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk Enterprise is highly recommend by me to others because it is a powerful tool with great potential. They also provide a free license to developer for some time. So I would always suggest to try this out.

We develop splunk apps for all our clients mainly for Vulnerability data. Using Splunk the administrator's task is reduced significantly.

Splunk Enterprise review by Francis L.
Francis L.

"To manage and analyze a large amount of data"

What do you like best?

We can make a detailed analysis of all the information applied in the security systems of our company, so that we can make reports about where we fail and what we can do to achieve a more secure environment. In fact, this is a situation that we can not leave, because as our server number is too high, Splunk Cloud comes into play here and allows us to investigate and analyze everything better. It has excellent customer support. It allows us to manage the infrastructure of your company with extraordinary methods.

We can quickly search and analyze any detail in Log easily. What pleases me most is that there are too many servers and I can keep them under control.

What do you dislike?

I expected an agreement at a more affordable price. In addition, it is difficult to customize the Splunk platform interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it because it really fulfills its purpose and does not disappoint in its capabilities, but considering all the options offered by its competitors for lower prices I can not give my total approval after a more detailed approach.

After a trial start, we liked the product very much but then we decided to use another option since we wanted to sign a contract at a better price.

Splunk Enterprise review by Milan P.
Milan P.

"One of the best tool for log monitoring"

What do you like best?

Splunk Enterprise is best tool for development and monitoring the dashboard with the help of log data/ machine generated raw data.

Splunk is too fast thus we can ingest a huge amount of data in it very quickly and also search for specific events in a second.

Splunk is also very well documented so troubleshooting any issue is easy.

Along with that Splunk has an introductory online course which is helpful to learn it quickly.

Splunk has very rich community and that helps a lot when you are raising a doubt/question.

What do you dislike?

There are not much thing that I dislike about Splunk, but I will update here if I find any in future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Splunk Enterprise for the log monitoring and data analysis. I recommend the developers to learn it since it has flow. Also splunk provides free trial license to developers so you can give it a try.

We in our organization develop Splunk Apps and Technology Add-ons for our clients and we use Splunk Enterprise for it.

Splunk Enterprise review by Urvish N.
Urvish N.

"Review for Splunk Enterprise"

What do you like best?

Splunk Enterprise is one of the best tool for log monitoring. It is very easy to use tool with a lot of support videos and documentation to learn it easily.

Splunk has great strength to ingest very large data in it and search through it .

Splunkbase has the many apps which are useful for development of Add-on and useful dashboards.

Splunk has splunk-answers which is really helpful for developers.

Splunk also provides the free license to developers which is also a good thing.

What do you dislike?

There are not much things that I dislike about Splunk and I would say that with each version update they are increasing the performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Splunk Enterprise to everyone since it takes few hours to learn it but it can help you become a good splunk develper.

We in our company use Splunk Enterprise for data analytics which is useful for security. Also we use Splunk to develop the security analysis Add-on and Apps for our customers.

Splunk Enterprise review by Mark A.
Mark A.

"Splunk is like the eyes of your Security Snipers, without it you won't be stopping the bad guys."

What do you like best?

Splunk is a great application that is super fast to install and setup. Everyone should be using this product after seeing how great of an impact it makes on your security posture.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

While Splunk is amazing, you will inevitably run into problems that need fixing. Enter "Splunk Support". Splunk's support team is awesome at solving complex problems and bugs found in the software. They are serious about fixing whatever problems you may encounter with their product. The last issue we had that we raised to Splunk's support team was fixed within a couple days. I mean come on, "a couple days" is how long it takes to get a cup of coffee folks! Aside from Splunk's support team, the Splunk community is incredibly powerful. There's all kinds of events, forums, videos, conferences and meetings that you can go to and have your questions answered. Splunk is by far the best product on the market and it will continue to be in the future. So what are you waiting for? Get on the band wagon!

Splunk Enterprise review by Gyanendra B.
Gyanendra B.

"Search engine for logs !!"

What do you like best?

Powerful search capabilities and ability to index humongous amount of data and search it logically is one of my favorite features of splunk. Its search processing language (SPL) provides vast search capability and has numerous commands to search and compute. It can also index data from a variety of sources starting from monitoring files, logs and TCP/UDP ports and system performance as well.

What do you dislike?

The fact that you need to restart splunk for changes to take effect during development or naive use is quite annoying yet justified. Also i feel its integrations with other platforms are less.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider setting up distributed architecture and cluster environment on cloud, can help you forward data from multiple sources and aggregate it on your search head.

We are developing apps for the splunk platform to help users analyse and monitor their data and create real time visualizations from huge amount of data continuously being indexed every hour. Also handling critical alert automatic adaptive actions. The data which when seen as raw events was good for nothing like one log, when analysed on various parameters after indexing into splunk can provide deep insights which can help take crucial business decisions.

Splunk Enterprise review by Vaibhav S.
Vaibhav S.

"*** Splunk Enterprise Review ***"

What do you like best?

Splunk Enterprise is a powerful software which can deal with very huge amount of data easily.

Splunk is quiet easy to use and you can learn Splunk with the help of their good and rich documentation and also they do provide the introductory online course which can get you going easily.

Splunk also provides the free license to developers for some months which is a good thing.

Splunk has a big and active community which comes very helpful when you are stuck at some-point.

Splunk quality support is also very good.

What do you dislike?

I have been a user of Splunk Enterprise for a long time now and I can say that Splunk used to be buggy in it's early years but now it is quiet stable. So no dislikes from me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Splunk is a very good tool for data analysis and many tech giants are using it so I would definitely recommend Splunk to everyone.

Data analysis and Log analysis are the main domain our organization works in and we use Splunk Enterprise to develop Splunk Apps for our customers.

Splunk Enterprise review by Nathan P.
Nathan P.

"If there's a problem, yo, Splunk'll solve it."

What do you like best?

Splunk enables me and my customers to find needles they didn't know they needed in stacks of other needles. A large portion of our solutions started in hallway conversations leading to "I wonder if Splunk could ..." and it invariably can.

In an enterprise environment of any complexity, there are hurdles with any product, but the Splunk community, as well as education and docs teams are incredibly helpful resources.

They offer trial, dev, and dev/test licenses, so I can run Splunk at home, on my laptop, as one-off testing setups, etc.

They also offer free licenses to non-profits under their Splunk4good program.

What do you dislike?

x.0.0 releases are frequently buggy, but they get patches out fairly quickly.

Splunk could really use a naming scheme makeover. (I'm looking at you, deploy*.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Grab a trial license and start playing with it. Read the docs. Join a user group. Get some training; the first (fundamentals) course is free!

We largely use Splunk for fraud prevention and security monitoring/investigation. Splunk has enabled those teams to get significantly more work done in less time with the same number of analysts. Across just two small-effort projects, we discovered fraud and inefficiencies that, once eliminated, are now saving us over $100k per month. Splunk doesn't look so expensive now, does it?

Splunk Enterprise review by Mittal M.
Mittal M.

"Analyzed you data"

What do you like best?

Splunk is a very simple and easy to use tool that Helps you and your team to analyze the information. Any data from network, servers, application. etc.

The best part I like about Splunk is that it is easy to deploy.

You can a simple utility call Splunk lite to push your data from your servers to the main Splunk engine.

The way Splunk indexes your data is very good. Which in returns good analytic results.

The report created by Splunk is very accurate. which helps my company to determine the improvement we need to do in our infrastructure.

The pricing model is very simple and reasonable.

They have very good well written online Knowledgebase articles to help use Splunk to its full use.

What do you dislike?

The trial version of Splunk is very limited it only gives 500 MB do daily data indexing. As a result, it may prevent you to get an insight of all the potential you can get through Splunk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a good tool for your enterprise. If you would like to improve quality of your current process.

Splunk helps me and my team to analyze customer log data and helps us to find our pointers of the actual problem. This in return helps us to get back to our customer much quicker, thus improving overall customer satisfaction, better quality of work and improved work process.

Splunk Enterprise review by Timothy V.
Timothy V.

"Great, but not amazing"

What do you like best?

The ability to build dashboards so we can test new notable alerts. The ability to set severity levels. We like the correlation events. Ability to ingest multiple indexes and create correlated searches, as opposed to just using a wildcard search. The dashboard layout is usefull and is very customizable. Integration via ES and other plugins allows us to spend time on one single pane of glass, do a pivot investigation and drill way down into the logs that were ingested. Metadata is easy to find, the logs are parsed neatly and are relatively easy to read once you get used to them. Training is also very good, and readily available online. Certification paths are also available

What do you dislike?

The load on our search heads, some queries take forever. Sometimes we have great difficulty with getting other products to parse logs correctly into splunk. API issues occasionally. The lag in the UI when running a search. The community could use better visibility, a central repository for splunk queries would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carefully plan for the storage and processing power required to wield a tool such as this

Getting better visualization of threats in our environment via notable alerts. We are building out new automations and use cases for splunk on a weekly basis. Splunk is a primary intake for our analysts and we develop new notable alerts and use cases for our dashboards as well as continually tune and improve the information splunk is telling us.

Splunk Enterprise review by Richard G.
Richard G.

"Love it!"

What do you like best?

It's flexible and powerful while still being easy to use. Valuable insights can come quickly with minimal effort.

The user community, both online and offline, is active, friendly, and very helpful. It's one of the best user communities I've encountered and has resulted in hundreds of apps (plug-ins) available for free use to help make Splunk even easier to use.

What do you dislike?

Larger implementations can be complex to build and maintain, often needing Professional Services assistance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While Splunk is easy to use out of the box, you'll get more out of it if you take the free on-line training courses.

You can also install Splunk on your personal workstation for use as a test platform.

I've used Splunk to produce a Continuous Diagnostics and Monitoring (CDM) solution. I've also used it to consolidate 12 different monitoring tools into a single pane of glass. One of the first searches of network logs for a customer showed access from unexpected locations around the world. The customer was able to block access from those locations and prevent a possible security incident all because of Splunk.

Splunk Enterprise review by Niket N.
Niket N.

"Platform for all Data Analytics needs"

What do you like best?

Splunk is a very powerful Data Analytics platform which can be adopted by users of all levels i.e. from tools like Data Tables for Novice to Splunk's Web Framework for Experts. What I like best is the significant improvements and capabilities they bring into the software with every major release is simply mind blowing.

What do you dislike?

We always need to wait a bit for latest release to be adopted at Enterprise level because of the unforeseen bugs. Good thing is one of Splunk Support, Professional Support, Splunk Answers Community and Slack might be able to assist with workaround or solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Splunk Enterprise for free to try out your use case, in most cases your proof of concept could easily be used as final analytics app that you need at your Enterprise.

Based on your technical experience with the product, reach out to Splunk's Sales Team for demo and Professional Services during implementation if required.

Go through numerous resources online from Use Cases and Case Studies to technical documentations, development tools, blogs and videos.

We have provided solutions to customers with their Operational Intelligence needs, Infrastructure Monitoring, Security and Business Intelligence.I felt turnaround time to be pretty fast and Splunk's capability to ingest almost all kinds of machine data gives it an significant edge over competitions for log aggregation and event correlation.

Splunk Enterprise review by Clara M.
Clara M.

"Best Tool Around"

What do you like best?

It has made projects more efficient (ease of joining multiple sources together, search times are quicker, etc.) which frees up more of my time to research, explore, and work on more projects

What do you dislike?

Custom visualizations don't export to PDF

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for software the ingests streaming data, CSVs, etc., and can read warehouse data, this is a great tool. The documentation is very thorough for every topic from installation, administration, search, development, etc. The customization is incredible. It is a truly innovative company with an amazing community that is very helpful for answering questions. No other software like it on the market.

I use Splunk Enterprise for Business Intelligence and use it to answer questions relating to revenue, product usage, system usage and health, etc. One amazing benefit is that we don't have to grab data from five different applications and join them all together in another tool to analyze. Splunk creates a single pane of glass and allows us to access all the data we need in one place.

Splunk Enterprise review by Rich M.
Rich M.

"We do so much more than just what's listed"

What do you like best?

The versatility. We ingest some of the worst looking logs and force them into a usable form, generating reports and dashboards that business users make decisions from. At times I use Splunk as a clearinghouse for terribly formatted data that I don't even directly use, taking data that makes my BI team cry, reformatting it, cleaning it up and shoving it into a database for them to use further down the pipe. In the more standard uses, we use it to correlate various pieces of information from across our environment to identify when weird things are happening so we can better address them. But two of its primary strengths are the quality of the documentation and the thriving and active user community (answers.splunk.com, User Groups, their Slack channel and so on) who are always willing to help out if you need it!

What do you dislike?

There's can be a significant amount of complexity, some of which is due to the domain across which it works, but some of which hasn't been smoothed over yet by Splunk. This is mostly not in the core product but in some of the Apps, which just need a little work. See comments on the community above, though - there are replacement apps and lots of help available on the Slack channel and in Answers!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk Fundamentals I is a ~8 hour free online course that gives you a basic understanding of how Splunk works, I recommend signing up for that and using that as your springboard. There's a free download of Splunk Enterprise that enables all features for 30+ days, you can switch it to a free version after that which costs nothing. Then get into Answers and into Slack in the Splunk user group channels and start playing around!

The quick ability to make sense of new data has changed how we react to many situations, speeding up responses to complex questions we may have. The ability to correlate all the disparate events thrown out by all our devices and distill them into a small set of events that are actually unusual is one of the cornerstones of how we react to anomalies.

Splunk Enterprise review by Abhishek R.
Abhishek R.

"A single tool for logging, alerting and dashboards"

What do you like best?

While writing queries you refine and build the searches is very helpful. Creating dashboard and graphical representation is easy.Creating Alerts and and setting intervals/cron schedule is quick. extraxting fields using auto regex is very helpful.Saved searches sharing in a secure manner. Sharing them in read-only formats like PDFs using database connection. Exporting data into XML and JSON format is what i uses while transferring or upload into a different infrastructure/system.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes its very slow, not sure may be due to large amount of data .

While query is very big we should have a separate editor in place writing in query editor.

Some time fetching specific fields using extract field feature may not give what you need.

Sometime searches take little extra time to understand, mainly regular expressions and to new users.

Would be nice if data compression of data stored on disk can be optimized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk is great for visualizing your data sending it to higher management, stack holders and various teams

It will help you determine root cause take reactive and proactive measure if you can write an intelligent query. Gathering log from various sources and making them readable.

Basic error, info and other types of logs and fetching meaning full information from it.

Alerting on specific failures.

Quick reactive and some time proactive actions help resolve issue ahead of time before it impact more business users. In-built and communicating tools make intellect of complex data.Real time alerting on critical events, sending emails and executing predefined scripts for corrective measures. We are also generating HPSM incidents based on splunk alerting based on triggering script. Geographical charts showing impacted states during enterprise outages is what higher management look for. Splunk API allowing us to access the splunk data programmatically to feed into another system.

Splunk Enterprise review by Jaya Krishna T.
Jaya Krishna T.

"Sr. Database Administrator"

What do you like best?

Splunk provides a great ease in reading the logs. It helps us analyze the metrics on a regular basis to troubleshoot production issues. We have been using Splunk for quite a few years now and it has always been a great tool use to analyze the data patterns and alert us on all performance related issues and pattern matching.

What do you dislike?

There is not much of dislike on the product. It's more of how much I can help reviewing the production to help it enhance its ease of use.

It would be great to have multiple levels of automation setup within splunk where in it allows users to choose what exactly they want by looking at the earlier patterns and usage of the product. By showing this suggestions, it will be easy for the users to make sure they take into consideration the suggestions shown by splunk to make a wise decision whether to go ahead with the suggestion or implement a new one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great product

We are using splunk to log all our web and application logs. Using this log we are having a great ease at the time of post mortem an issue to take a look at the pattern and troubleshoot accordingly.

also for any issues which pop-up during the connection timeouts, we are able to pin point which user its creating problem and take the necessary steps.

Splunk is helping us choose and make our lives easy by ease of use.

Splunk Enterprise review by Kevin P.
Kevin P.

"Great tool if you need log aggregation"

What do you like best?

Splunk provides an easy way to search multiple log files over a period of time. You can search by any combination of unique text. The syntax is similar to that of SQL where you can use keywords such as AND and OR. Logs are archived for time capsule viewing.

What do you dislike?

It's rich with features which can be overwhelming. The search over a long period of time can sometimes be slow and fail to pull back result altogether. If you try to view a log's source, it can take several minutes for results to return.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk is a godsend for any large scale application/system that wants a solution to having to connect to individual boxes and viewing one log at a time.

Our system has many instances per application which each has its own log. Splunk aggregates all those instance logs into one and also archives older logs.

Splunk Enterprise review by Luca C.
Luca C.

"A great performance analysis product "

What do you like best?

One of the most common problems when working in medium or large companies is to be able to analyze certain types of cases and certain problems occurred in a given period, however, without knowing what was causing the problem because certain items and factors may be manifold due to the use of different technologies involved simultaneously on the same subject or on the same transaction.

Inside a complex infrastructure is not easy to analyze which single component (for example, application, database, server, network device, etc..) was the cause of a problem often it requires analysis by different departments, thanks to the use of Splunk the control management and the analysis of the issues is centralized in one software.

The analysis are facilitated through the use of various detailed dashboards.

Very convenient are the automatic alerts and triggers.

What do you dislike?

The cost of the product is high.

The usability for novice users is not really easy, but reading a little bit of documentation and studying a bit the syntax of the search the user is able to do a lot of query.

By using Splunk we can monitor several different technologies and network equipment, the activities of the databases etc. via Splunk has been possible to determine the cause of a fault at a given moment.

Splunk Enterprise review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Have you ever had to grep for mail logs? If so you will love SPLUNK."

What do you like best?

The ability to create and supplement source types for the data you care about. You don't have to spend hours digging through logs. You can just pull out key fields and use them as key values to report on.

What do you dislike?

If I had to choose something that I dislike about Splunk it would be that I think it needs more easy to create dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To take the time to build out your use cases before stepping into splunk. If everything is laid out before hand you can maximize spunk to your advantages across teams with things like specialized dashboards to display only a certain log or set of logs.

The business problem that we are solving with spunk is that when something goes wrong we want a place to quickly look through logs and search on what we need. The ability to try to find a common issue or connection across systems without having to grep through logs on servers. This benefit saves us a lot of time when dealing with issues that arise for ourselves or our clients.

Splunk Enterprise review by Christopher M.
Christopher M.

"Making Your Logs Usable"

What do you like best?

The ability to manipulate data in Splunk is unparalleled. Splunk’s powerful and flexible query language can morph difficult to understand log formats into usable data. Correlating data across different systems via one interface will allow you to know your environment or identify incident data in ways you never imagined.

What do you dislike?

There is a definite learning curve to starting out. However, there is a quite a bit of documentation out there to help you get started. In addition Splunk documentation, the community (Splunk answers/slack channel/user groups) can help get you moving along a lot faster.

Moving over to Splunk has enabled our organization to utilize log files that were previously being collected and not reviewed. With Splunk now these logs are constantly reviewed and used to provide insight to who is using applications and how they are using them.

Splunk Enterprise review by Cameron M.
Cameron M.

"Splunk flavored Life Saver"

What do you like best?

Splunk allows me to quick diagnose problems and in most cases prevent them for going wide spread by pulling in logs from all of the sources in our development architecture.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that it can be difficult to pull data in from a database, they make the DB Connect app, but it is does not work very well in our situation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and you will never look back. We started using Splunk just monitor a server that kept crashing, now we are fully integrating Splunk into our DevOps flow. Splunk is the glue that holds it together.

We are monitoring our internal application stack. Splunk has reduced on call incidents and allowed us to spend more time being proactive than reactive.

Splunk Enterprise review by Myles W.
Myles W.

"Unrivaled Tool"

What do you like best?

The ease to scale and ingest multiple types of data sources with minimal effort. The effortless ability to begin digging through data without fully comprehending the content of the data itself.

ITSI is also a phenomenal App that really allows us to dig deep into services!

What do you dislike?

I've had a few issues with Apps and/or Add-ons working OOTB without a few customizations. Overall I don't have many dislikes about the product itself.

Right now I am using Splunk for 2 main purposes.

1. Troubleshooting other Enterprise applications to track down bottle necks, errors and in turn tune the application to better perform it's functionality that it was sold as. (The vendors will remain nameless)

2. Alerting for patterns or security concerns in multiple different security logs.

Splunk Enterprise review by Steven B.
Steven B.

"It can help save lives!"

What do you like best?

The ease of splunk for using it to learn new insights into our data. With traditional log systems you can't review old logs and events using the new understanding you have about your data. However, Splunk performs extractions done at the time you search and allows you to look at old data with a new light.

What do you dislike?

The product can be very expensive for large scale. The price model per data consumed per day can grow quickly and often requires a person to evaluate if the data being logged has any business value.

Our splunk environment is used to help troubleshoot problems, monitor for security incidents, and has even helped our police department locate in distress person's quick enough to provide intervention.

Splunk Enterprise review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"Splunk can do it all"

What do you like best?

It isn't really a question of whether or not you can accomplish something with Splunk. The question is more about how much time and money it would take to accomplish something using Splunk. Some things are very simple and Splunk does provide a low barrier to entry, allowing you to obtain value from your data right from the start. While it has a low barrier to entry, it is also very extensible and allows you to stack on top of Splunk to leverage the platform for whatever your specific needs are. This is why it is so beneficial across many different sectors of IT. On top of the actual product, the community is top notch and always looking to help should any issues come up.

What do you dislike?

Cost. Splunk is not the cheapest product and it can be a fight to get funding.

Security, Incident Response, and Root Cause Analysis. The platform allows for analysis that would never be possible sifting through data manually on a file system .Bringing everything together into a central repository and allowing for analysis of aggregate data all at once allows you to see where dependencies are and how failures in an architecture can affect everything beneath it.

Splunk Enterprise review by Kyle S.
Kyle S.

"Transcendental Meditation as Software (TMaS)"

What do you like best?

Oh, to begin at the start is akin to creating pottery from clay. Forming the vase of data from the clay of disparity, one can simply design such meaning and substance from meaningless data, and share amongst peers and enemies alike.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the rapid evolution causes internal strife, but nary is it a problem, as support and documentation rules all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consult professional services and the community. http://splk.it/slack . Find a user, ask them questions, and join the revolution!

Verily, we beseech thee to not find a benefit. Optimization of Continuouse Integration, Notification of downtime and reporting of such, monitoring the temperature for optimal Feng shui, among other glorious and grand moments, one must have a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Splunk Enterprise review by Naomi P.
Naomi P.

"Easy to read dashboard"

What do you like best?

My team mostly uses it to track lockouts for users. However we also use it for VPN connection metrics, tracking active directory user accounts, and various other types of reports.

What do you dislike?

It does have a bit of a learning curve to it at first, such as accidentally connecting to the wrong dashboard can leave you feeling a little lost until you find you way back to the correct app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just having the correct subscription would be extremely helpful to your company, otherwise there can be too many logins causing issues with the license. Other than that, it has great dashboards for network admins, and creating a smooth transition for troubleshooting at a beginner level.

My team is initial helpdesk support, so we use it to find out what servers a users Active Directory account is locked out of, track the server, or track the MAC Address of a device that has locked them out of a radius server/wireless connection. It was a little inaccurate at first, but we have upgraded recently and now can fully track the mac addresses to reassure the user that yes, their phone is connecting to the wireless, and yes they need to fix that on their end.

Splunk Enterprise review by Administrator in Computer Software

"The most versatile data mining product I know of"

What do you like best?

Splunk takes in any data in almost any form (as long as it is human readable text) and allows searching, manipulation, transformation, calculation, etc. and then presents it in a multitude of ways to make the data tell a helpful story. That is superior to products that make you set up each type of data in a set format. We have data that varies greatly even among similar software products.

What do you dislike?

Bugs, though to be honest, I haven't run across many, and they seem to get fixed pretty quickly. I've run into some that usually have a workaround, which makes it easier to deal with the bug.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn as much as you can before implementing a large installation, or use professional services to get you started. You can keep from making lots of bad mistakes by doing so. Many people go into the implementation making simple, but critical mistakes that can be hard to rectify. These are things that are documented, but people don't take the time to find out about them, so they make those mistakes anyway.

We use Splunk for many purposes. Developers use it to find coding problems, operations uses it to find operational issues, managers look at reporting and forecasting.

Splunk Enterprise review by Administrator

"Have all of Enterprise logging in one place "

What do you like best?

The one thing i love about Splunk is all of your logs are in one place . Gone are the days where you need to login to each and every instance to get the logs . Splaunk not only helps to collect the logs through splunk forwarder but also helps to analyze them , create reporting , create alerting and you can integrate it with your service now or ticketing system to automate problem incident management . I love the dashoard and reporting feature for log analysis

What do you dislike?

Price and enterprise level of support . Not all splunk forwarders report to the splunk server when there is a version mismatch

We have an automated incident management system that is collborated with the help of splunk and is fully automated decreasing SLA overage and minimal downtimes .

Splunk Enterprise review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Monitoring Network Traffic with Splunk"

What do you like best?

I like Splunk's speed when querying millions of logs to find specific data points. Combined with the online support pages that help with any type of query, Splunk makes searching through data easy. Additionally, the ability to start a search and have it sent via email upon completion allows for productivity to increase due to the fact that I do not have to sit around waiting for my query to complete. Lastly, the export feature is extremely convenient for digging through large amounts of data easily in Excel.

What do you dislike?

If you click to expand a search result and then attempt to scroll while this result is still expanded, you will get yanked back up to that result repeatedly until it is closed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk Enterprise will change the way that an organization is able to look through its traffic logs. A search of millions of records takes very little time, and each query can be customized to find and show only what the user wants.

I have been able to verify the number of users that are using each route out to the internet, and then use that information to determine the use of one system vs. the other (i.e. proxy traffic vs. firewall traffic). This allowed me to solve the problem of bottlenecks on one by focusing more traffic through the other. The benefits of this change are increased speed for users and more safety of our information and systems.

Splunk Enterprise review by Mir Vizarath A.
Mir Vizarath A.

"Best enterprise solution for querying data"

What do you like best?

- Ability to query data

- Dashboards

- Different modes to query data, this helps decide how much information you choose to see which at times is useful when reviewing several days worth of logs.

- Ease of use

- Flexibility for the most part,

What do you dislike?

- Unable to query data past 30 days, but this looks like a limit imposed by my employer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Great software for log analysis

- Log Analysis

- Dashboards

- Charts

- Splunk is one of many tools we use to help us capture key information with not only data but also meta data, this proves to be real helpfull when investigating client side issues.

Splunk Enterprise review by Patrick O.
Patrick O.

"Amazingly broad tool with some complex management issues"

What do you like best?

The tooling included in base Splunk, plus the broad community supplying pre-built extensions to common data needs, greatly reduce time to detection on problems and make tracing root cause issues much easier than any other tool I've used.

What do you dislike?

Management of the software can be complex, as it is a complex tool. Buying professional services for initial configuration and any major changes (e.g. moving to a clustered environment) is frankly necessary unless you have someone on staff who has already managed a deployment previously.

Dramatic speedups of incident response, both security and business related. Replaced several other toolings, and automated a number of processes that had previously required dozens of full-time staff.

Splunk Enterprise review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"Great tool to maximize log analysis"

What do you like best?

Low barrier to start analysis, one need not know much to start understanding one's environment. One can simply treat everything as searchable text to start and work up to a model of the environment as complex as is suitable.

Flexible concepts for data normalization: I can extract new fields, transform existing fields, alias fields, or create entirely new datamodels within the data that I have.

Scales to handle any volume of logs, so all of my logs really can go to one place. Also can send system metrics to Splunk for analysis.

What do you dislike?

Different types of commands are formatted differently. This can be quite frustrating.

No concept of production migration: the user is simply working in production.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worthwhile. I recommend trying it.

From a log management perspective, you could compare it against other elastic search tools, like ELK.

I started with Application troubleshooting. In this context Splunk allowed me to normalize data across multiple systems that I supported and to correlate that data across time and load balanced systems.

Security analysis: I have been able to build new visualizations of events on my endpoints and network based on specific events, and statistical models that I have been able to create.

Splunk Enterprise review by Erik A.
Erik A.

"Splunk has been a great platform to learn, support, and use at my company."

What do you like best?

From the users sides, it is a single platform that can provide everything a company needs without needing to go between different platforms that host different bits and pieces of the data needed to support a customer facing service. From the support side, my day job, it is very easy to built out new environments, set them up as we need, and support their ongoing usage.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could get more people at my company onboard with the concept of a single platform is better than multiple platforms.

All kinds including base event log index, along with schedule reports and alerting into Email, HipChat, Slack, and EMF, dashboards, and workflow auto-remediations.

Splunk Enterprise review by Mick H.
Mick H.

"Easy to Use and Value Added Quickly"

What do you like best?

After the initial set up, getting new users to get value out of it is easy with a the free online tutorials and support bases (answers.splunk.com, slack groups etc...). We don't have a dedicated Splunk team--so finding time to really get the most value out of it can be difficult. That said, we have been able to take interns and point them to an online tutorial and have them running and doing actual valuable work after a week.

What do you dislike?

The licensing model can be expensive for non-profits and others on a tight budget.

We use Splunk for transaction monitoring, alerting, volume trends and several other use cases include troubleshooting after incidents and determining root cause.

Splunk Enterprise review by Bhagat B.
Bhagat B.

"Powerful tool to pull logs"

What do you like best?

The best thing about spunk log is pull logs based on the time period. The logs are easy to read. Same system can pull the data from many environment. you can run your queries to pull the data. You can download all the logs in different file format. You can search your logs based on certain time period with any text. It can also pull the data based on the different system swell.

What do you dislike?

Coping of logs is not simple. It should have a link or button to copy a particular logs. I seen lots of issue with internet

explorer browser. Its very slow with IE but works well with Chrome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its best tools to pull the logs. It helped us debugging lots of issues related to integration. It made our life lot more easier.

We have connected Salesforce system and SAP through Datapower and cast iron. Splunk tool pulls the logs from MW in case we need to debug any issue.

Splunk Enterprise review by Matthew C.
Matthew C.

"Fully featured and performant"

What do you like best?

Splunk provides a convenient mechanism for gathering numerous system and software logs. The ability to search historical and real-time logs is a key capability for our monitoring. The custom field extraction and reporting are also a great feature for analysis.

What do you dislike?

Splunk relies on a Perl-based regular expression structure. I can regex just about anything I want in a python regex and routinely am frustrated by Splunk's support of only Perl regex. This translates into a lot of lost time trying to figure out how to get my custom field extract to extract only what I want extracted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk is an excellent solution for simple to complex systems for log retention and analysis.

We see benefits in two key areas.

First, automatic detection and notification of errors in our volumes of logs. With a distributed system churning out logs from numerous components, it is impossible for a human to review those logs, detect anomalies, and correlate errors across them. With the use of Splunk Enterprise, we are able to set up intelligent searches that detect error custom error conditions and generate alerts to our operators for triage.

Second, a significant reduction in effort to perform analysis of software performance and usage. Through adding custom log messages in our software and custom field extraction in Splunk, we are able to generate detailed performance information that can be viewed in real-time or over custom historical periods. Similarly we are able to analyze our logs to determine how our system is being used. These features are critical to our operations and are a huge cost savings in time and effort.

Splunk Enterprise review by Administrator in Government Relations
Administrator in Government Relations

"Great Monitor Tool, Take it Slow"

What do you like best?

I am using Splunk now to monitor the logs from my backup server. The fact that it can import in logs from another host is great. The love the reporting for the logs as it provide an easy to use ad-hoc query which output a readable format for you to understand. You can actually go beyond logs and into monitor your network for spikes in processes and resources. What makes this unique is knowing which host and users are associated with the processes.

What do you dislike?

It's very confusing at first because there's so many tools and links. It's not simple so do read up before you tackle this product. This product costs a lot of money for what it delivers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a free version, but it's limited. You can decide to invest in this product. It's very expensive so keep that in mind.

We are looking for a platform to monitor our network usages from users and hosts. In addition, being able to import logs for a readable format. The application saves us time in research and allows me to focus on other tasks.

Splunk Enterprise review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Very good for basic data querying, but not so easy for complex querying"

What do you like best?

Splunk very nicely provides query/search access to huge volumes of data (for example log-file data). If you're interested in finding specific occurrences of something/anything within your data, Splunk is a nice tool to have. For basic querying, it cannot be beat.

What do you dislike?

If you need to find an "area" within your huge volume of data (for example, either what happened immediately before or after a specific occurrence) then you end up fighting with Splunk to let you see that "area". Personally, I've ended up having to write extremely complex regular expressions within Splunk just to be able to see these "areas", and they work, but it needs to be easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For simple querying it's very easy to pickup and use, but for complex querying, you'll need a strong background in regular expressions.

I use Splunk to diagnose problems within a web-application by querying the application log file data.

Splunk Enterprise review by MAHENDRA Z.
MAHENDRA Z.

"Best data monitoring tool - Splunk"

What do you like best?

Supports all platforms e. .g windows10, macOS and linux. vry easy to setup for first time. we can create charts , graphs and table for visualization.

What do you dislike?

It slows down your pc performance sometimes. very expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk support lots stat mechanism, also you can start multiple stats jobs on your location.Powerful search tool, steep learning curve. I think it's great tool to see the logs of your application with advance query search.

learning and developing small modules/ projects for data visualization using splunk.

Splunk Enterprise review by Vikas R.
Vikas R.

"Powerful Product With An Intuitive User Interface"

What do you like best?

Great for visualizing any application data that is required and the custom dashboard feature makes it easy to have related reports and queries all in one place.It's easy to understand the interface, graphs are good and can be easily exported. The keywords on the left side are very helpful.

What do you dislike?

I would say query building which might be a steep for non technical user. Also licensing the Splunk software would be little expensive so the best thing would be to start with a small amount of data and see it if works for you or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test it out in an enterprise environment, that's where all the bells and whistles shine out.

I have used Splunk for the capacity planning which covered setting up the forwarder in the source system and creating multiple dashboards as per the requirements. Also try Splunk dashboards & perform automation through a script using the Splunk API.

Splunk Enterprise review by User

"Very powerful, quick, customizable log analysis tool"

What do you like best?

Splunk has been paramount in us gaining information from our log data, it has the ability to very quickly parse and understand the data. Once you parse the log data creating visualizations is easy and they can be grouped into dashboards which is quite convenient.

For us this brings the following business benefits:

- We can quickly and easily see/get alerted of any issues in our running system

- Stakeholders can see the performance and usage of a given system.

- Developers can monitor a system and gain insights which drive optimization.

What do you dislike?

Learning the Splunk query language takes some time. It is powerful and relatively intuitive but there is definitely a learning curve there. In the past, there were a few cases where we had issues with duplicated log data, figuring out why and removing it was quite the effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely build dashboards to share with business stakeholders. Try to put a lot of information in your logs and the more easily parseable it is the better. The query language has a learning curve, so having a couple specialists is very helpful.

Splunk have let us answer the following questions:

- How many users are using our system and how active are they?

- Is our live system running into any unexpected issues?

- How performant is our live system, how does that change under load

- What are some problematic/slow calls to our system?

- How can we give stakeholders insight into the platform with minimal friction?

Splunk Enterprise review by Alexandru O.
Alexandru O.

"A user whose company switch to Splunk Enterprise a couple of months ago"

What do you like best?

The documentation is really well done and easy to use.

The UI is slick and fast.

The ability to easily create dashboards.

The auto-completion with suggestion while writing the search query

The left hand menu on the search page containing all the fields detected by the search.

Ability to add/exclude from search the fields extracted from the search results by hovering any text.

What do you dislike?

The time range search could be improved by allowing the following type of input:

"last 3h" or "3d ago" which is easier to use than applying several clicks to achieve the same results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Splunk is a great tool which is suitable for any kind of company, from a small startup to a big enterprise company. It has a large number of features, great documentation and support.

Mostly analysis of various issues reported by customers. It helps to easily understand the customer journey and spot various issues or anomalies. It helps as well to create nice dashboard for non-technical staff who are interested in the business metrics.

Splunk Enterprise review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Higher Education
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Higher Education

"Splunk for dashboards"

What do you like best?

Splunk is very easy easy to use. just needs a query and since the data ic connected to server, it automatically pulls up the data and generate the report based on the requirement. different type of visualizations like pie chart, bar graph, etc can be used.

What do you dislike?

Eventhough the spunk query language is simple however we need to learn a new language. Splunk does charge a pretty penny for the higher levels of certification. But the cost paid to value earned is totally worth the cost of certifications needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you have the visibility Splunk give you into your data at the speed and ease that Splunk provides it, your options are limitless. We've been using it in the SOC and it is amazing how easy it is to find problems and fix them once they are found. There's all kinds of events, forums, videos, conferences and meetings that you can go to and have your questions answered. Splunk is by far the best product on the market and it will continue to be in the future.

Splunk Enterprise review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Splunk is one of the recommended software when it comes to data analysis."

What do you like best?

The best thing that I like about splunk is Its search are analysis engine for all of our log data, data analytical tool, comprehensive data analytics that is been provided by splunk.

What do you dislike?

Till now I haven't faced any problem with this software which will incline me towards not liking this software. It automatically collects data in real time from multiple systems is one of the best feature of this software.

The benefits of using this software is that you can save whatever you are doing into the dashboard and from there you can then pick up next time and start working or upload another data set or log file and do different types of analysis which is required to perform.

Splunk Enterprise review by Christopher H.
Christopher H.

"Working with Splunk Enterprise"

What do you like best?

Splunk language is fairly easy to learn and built-in hinting system comes in handy for beginners. Splunk can be a powerful tool providing much needed insight into servers, applications, and other business data. Building dashboards are fairly easy and can provide a quick and easy to understand view of what your data looks like.

What do you dislike?

The web GUI SPL code editor isn't very customizable as far as picking a different font.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to take advantage of the training courses offered by Splunk.

CA Agile metrics, customer impact via outages and underperforming hardware,

Splunk Enterprise review by User in Financial Services

"Highly powerful, steep learning curve"

What do you like best?

If the data is in your logs, you can find it with Splunk. Sometimes I'm just searching for a key phrase in the last 30 days and I can get the answer back within seconds. At other times, I'm using a regex to extract a fraction of complex line and then graph that result to find anomalies and, again, the answer comes back within seconds. Splunk is incredibly powerful and I am constantly learning new things and new ways to use it.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is incredibly steep. You essentially have an empty search box and you have to know what commands to use (and how to use them) to really get anything useful out of it. It has an alerting feature but it's a little...quirky. There doesn't seem to be a decent way to create live alerts--instead you can have a query run every minute but don't allow it look back more than 1 minute because otherwise you'll get duplicate results.

We wanted a way to access all of our logs and notice trends. This limits the number of people who need access to production instances and we can also store many terabytes of logs and access the results with ease.

Splunk Enterprise review by User

"Splunk is a great tool are debugging issues"

What do you like best?

We use splunk to log errors, warning and information messages so that we can debug test env and production environment issues. It is fast and easy to use, can make graphs and tables, so handy. Can filter out information based on different attributes making it easier to find the logs that you are most interested in. Makes life easier for a developer cause some things can't be understood until live traffic hits your app.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, I like this tool. Somtimes I notice that I get 504 error on the page, or service not available errors, then I have to keep refreshing the page until it starts working again. It will be good if that does not happen, other than that, it can take sometime to retrieve records for a longer period of time, but thats bound to happen, I am sure they optimize the retrieval time as much as possible.

Helps to debug production issues, we use it to log info, warning and errors.

Learning about Splunk Enterprise?

* We monitor all Splunk Enterprise reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.