SurePayroll

SurePayroll

SurePayroll online payroll services for small businesses make payroll easy. Run payroll online. Enter hours, review, approve. Ensure tax compliance.

Work for SurePayroll?

Learning about SurePayroll?

SurePayroll Reviews

Ask SurePayroll a Question
Showing 340 SurePayroll reviews
Dan R.

"Time Saver"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I don't have to worry about all the extra stuff that comes with running payroll i.e. the taxes, the deadlines, the reports. Sure Payroll does it all so I can get back to work running my businesses literally in mins and like many small business owners also working in it as well.

What do you dislike?

I wish SurePayroll would not automatically calculate the PTO hours. In my case it is unhelpful as I front load my employees PTO for a set amount of days per year and when it automatically calculates I have to go in and edit each time I run a payroll.

As a small business owner time management is an important factor. in running a business. SurePayroll benefits our business by cutting the enormous amount of time it take to file taxes and run payroll. They give us a piece of mind knowing that calculations are correctly performed which is a huge stress reliever.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about SurePayroll
Brian W.

"Horrible System"

What do you like best?

Cost, and it is a fairly basic system if you don't have a need for something more advanced.

What do you dislike?

Their system is horrible. If you try to get ahead of the game and process your payroll early before the deadline, but then (still before the deadline) decide you want to make a change, you are out of luck. They process several times a day and you are stuck. Their customer service is unwilling to help and just tell you too bad. In order to combat this you have to wait until the last minute to process your payroll, but when you do that it's a lose/lose because they have severe system issues that risk you being able to process it on time at all. They gain from this because then you have to process an expedited payroll which of course incurs an additional service fee. Stay far away!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Stay Away!

We had moved to SurePayroll from another provider that was doing a good job, but cost was rising and it didn't integrate with our timeclock device. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for as this system is horribly inefficient and charge us extra just to import a file in from our timeclock device. This is definitely one of those "nickel and dime" companies.

What Payroll solution do you use?

Kelly W.

"Excellent customer service"

What do you like best?

Whenever I have a question about anything, the customer service representatives are always very helpful and knowledgeable, whether it is via phone or chat.

What do you dislike?

When new state laws are enacted, it can be difficult to understand how it affects my small business and the customer service representatives are unable to answer my questions specific to my state. Luckily, my accountant uses SurePayroll, so I can just email him to ask what our latest SurePayroll email means to me.

As the only employee in my small business, I do not have the time or ability to research and calculate all of the payroll deductions required. By using SurePayroll, I am confident all of my state and federal payroll requirements are being met. Using SurePayroll, I have more time to focus on my clients.

"NOT RECOMMENDED"

What do you like best?

The only thing I have found to like since working with Surepayroll is the look and design of their software. This is what probably pulled me into choosing them for my payroll.

What do you dislike?

I am not new to working with payroll companies, but I am new to trying Surepayroll. In my experience the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I just received a letter that my State Taxes haven't been paid and after reading reviews on here I hope this doesn't take two years to get rectified. After asked to wire money and me having it to them on a Wednesday/Thursday for my payroll, they tried to take it again auto draft that Friday resulting in NSF Fees. Surepayroll charges 150.00 1st time 250.00 2nd time so I would NOT recommend their auto system. I actually had their CS rep tell me they had to get off the phone (while I was trying to resolve an issue) because they are a call center and she only gets so many minutes!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I would honestly have to say I have not had but only one good experience on the phone with their customer service team. The only person I did have a nice experience with that seemed to care and want to work with me in figuring out issues was the person who works in their cancellation department.

Surepayroll has caused me nothing but stress and headaches. I've not found any benefit at this time of writing this review. I unfortunately will be on the phones dealing with unpaid taxes, NSF fees and an additional payroll they keep trying to receive in which has already been paid per my bank statement.

Lynn W.

"Great service and easy to use"

What do you like best?

I love how easy the website is to navigate, enter information, process payroll, and see reports. Also whenever I have a question I can get immediate help by a friendly representative.

What do you dislike?

Overall the service is great. If anything could be improved it would be the ease of setting up paid time off for individual employees.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the perfect solution for a small business who needs the capabilities of a big service.

I don't have to worry about taxes or workmans comp payments. Everything is done by Sure Payroll. Prior to using their service I had penalties from incorrect or late tax payments. They take all that burden away from the business owner.

Mikaela H.

"Wonderful Payroll Experience "

What do you like best?

Easy to do payroll for someone who is not a payroll expert. Easy to pull reports, the platform sends reminders to do payroll and employees can easily log in to update or correct their own information.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - We like having SurePayRoll as our primary payroll software and it has been very easy to use. We would recommend this product to other small businesses and nonprofits because of the time it has saved us doing payroll.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

N/A

As a small nonprofit, we do not have an HR company. SurePayroll takes the ease of doing payroll and makes it simple for someone who is not in HR to complete payroll.

Gabrielle L.

"One of the best payroll system out there"

What do you like best?

I really like how quick and easy it is to use the SurePayroll system. The tabs are not hard to find. I can review the payroll and see just how much taxes have to be paid. As a business spending to much time on tasks is not good. I need to quickly run payroll and get back to my job. SurePayroll is affordable as well because I can pay one price for up to 100 employees and run payroll as much as I need to without being billed for each time. The customer service is great. The representative treated me concern and care. They were happy to help me in any way within their power to do so.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that even though I register my work computer with the website I always have to request a verification code to log in. This is a bit time consuming because I just want to sign in and run payroll, instead of waiting for a code. I completely understand the security part, but if I am using the same computer over and over again, registering my computer should stay.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Everyone who is a small business owner and looking for a easy to use and affordable payroll system, SurePayroll is the best pick.

I am solving the problem of paying the correct amount of business taxes. SurePayroll does all the work for me. I realized that it is important to have a good payroll system in place to run a good business. Every small business needs SurePayroll.

John G.

"Amazing customer service and an easy to use product"

What do you like best?

Their customer service as every bit as good as they claimed and then some. The product was pretty easy to use and when I ran into some hiccups they went well beyond I expected to address it. I use it to pay our nanny, so I'm about as small of a customer as they can have, but I'd never know it by how responsive and helpful they are.

What do you dislike?

They do require you to do some of the sign-up work yourself with the state/local governments, which for non-HR people (e.g., others using to legally pay the nanny) can be very frustrating. Other services that charge way more than surepayroll (SP) will do a lot of that for you. Dealing with the local governments was a huge pain, but SP helped and we got through it, and now it's smooth sailing at half the cost of their closest competitor. Also, I can never get the mobile app to work, but it doesn't bother me because their website works fine when accessed from my mobile browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're going to pay a nanny legally, then I highly recommend SurePayroll. If money is no concern, then go with one of the super full-service offerings or if you love love love tedious paperwork, monthly reporting to multiple local governments then DIY... otherwise SurePayroll is a great solution for you.

I use them to legally pay our nanny. They do all the paperwork. I don't know that I would have been even able to do it myself, but I certainly would not have the time or patience.

Candace F.

"Great payroll service for small business"

What do you like best?

This system is easy to use and easy to understand. You can get help easily when you need it and it covers everything you need to run a small business. There is no reason to sweat over payroll when you use an outsourced system.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the repeated security code requests - but at the end of the day it's nice to know the data is secure. But one verification code per day would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your homework and have a list of things you need your payroll service to provide. Then check off the boxes as you evaluate them to make sure everything you need is covered.

Direct deposit for our employees is the most important thing we provide in addition to accurate payroll processing, compliance with state and federal tax programs in addition to accurate 1099 filings. It's also a great way to do expense reimbursements and bonus pay. One less thing to have to worry about because they have it covered.

Vanessa O.

"Simple and effective - great for small business!"

What do you like best?

It takes me about 10 minutes to log in, enter payroll for 10 employees, export data to quickbooks and I am done for the week!

What do you dislike?

I do not like the constant need to re-validate my account. every. single. time. I need to log in. It says it will register up to 6 devices, however, that is absolutely not the case.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it! You'll Like it. You might be thinking - I don't want to have to pay for the service for my small growing business - but it is SO worth the tiny expense for all the time you will save!

Sure Payroll is a time saver when processing weekly payroll and figuring taxes, deductions, etc.

UF

"Most likely would not use again"

What do you like best?

They have a massive voice recording that explains everything they have done, will do and plan to do when you call in to "customer care". You will have to be patient enough for the recording to finally end before the call is transferred to a person.

What do you dislike?

To update the account information is cumbersome and takes too long. Much too long in a digital world.

The world stellar CS team appears to be very poorly trained. Either that or they just don't give a hoot. They will attempt to convince you that an email was sent explaining why they have taken money from your account. Apparently they have a problem with their email server since I never seem to receive these particular notes yet I receive all the other notes they send.

problems? none. The service is used to process a small office payroll.

View Original October 10, 2018

"The worst payroll system I've encountered as an end user"

What do you like best?

I always got paid on time and I got a timely response from support when I reached out even though my issue wasn't solved.

What do you dislike?

My biggest issue was the difficulty in downloading my W2 which I tried on multiple occasions, browsers, and following various support recommendations. Between that and the fact that you cannot reset your password (need to go through your administrator), I wasted HOURS trying to get my W2.

SurePayroll also does not mail W2s so doing my taxes was an incredible inconvenience. We didn't switch to ADP until February so I am dreading dealing with SurePayroll again when I do 2018 taxes.

Other things I didn't like:

-default is a meaningless username and limitations on that field make it difficult to change it to anything intuitive like your email address

-can't reset your password (only admins can do it for you)

-UI is incredibly dated without any type of graphics

Update:

- After checking again I was able to find the mobile app - it just wasn't on the first page of results.

- Our HR admin was eventually able to troubleshoot the issue and point to the browser settings I needed to change to download my W2. The frustrating part was that the message in SurePayroll kept saying it was an issue with Adobe Reader so I and the support team spent lots of time trying to "fix" that issue instead of looking at anything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's not trivial to set up a payroll solution and I would caution against selecting a solution based on cost. You'll spend a lot more time as an admin supporting your employees trying to use it and then once your company grows you'll need to switch to a more robust solution anyway.

It was a cheaper payroll solution for our smaller company, but as an end user it doesn't seem worth the cost savings.

Kayna C.

"Helpful customer service"

What do you like best?

Doing Payroll has been confusing to me but the representative who has been helping through phone calls and emails has made the process a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much that I can say that I don’t like. I guess I would like an option to automatically submit payroll so that I don’t have to login every week to do it. Unless there is and I just don’t know about it yet.

Automating the payment and taxes that my company has to do. Getting everything organized in one place is really helpful.

Elizabeth A.

"New or Old Business, Great Payroll Services."

What do you like best?

Just open a New Company and there is so many things to do. Sure Payroll on the phone with a live video teach me everything I needed to know to get my Payroll up and Ready. Direct Deposit or printable checks is so easy, less than 5 clicks. Easy to add a new employee or delete an employee. Change dates to get paid easy and the reminds in my emails are great. There is no way to forget payroll.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike. What company gives you 1 to 2 months no fees for your company to get a chance to start your business. Anything comes in the mail from IRS or Federal, you scan and send by email to your agent and that's it. What is there not to like. Plus, there was 1 small mistake from the system, and with only 1 call, I even got another no fee cost. That is 3 months FREE. Sure Payroll even for a very small fee sends you by Jan 10th the W-2. Great! Nothing to Dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy, fast and secure.

I only have 2 employees now, but I am already training another person and he got a form by me of information that is needed to be in Payroll. One of many benefits is that with very little clicks and my payroll is done. Print or direct deposit and that's it, More time to do more business.

Bridget J.

"Nanny Payroll in a few clicks "

What do you like best?

Once everything was set up in the system, it takes me less than 2 minutes to process our nanny’s biweekly pay. For a household of two full time working parents I’m happy with how easy it is and that SurePayroll takes care of the details.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more features in the app

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask around about monthly or quarterly fees, in addition to extra fees for tax documents when comparing payroll platforms.

Paying our nanny and ensuring all taxes are properly paid.

Stephen J. Shults I.

"great website for processing good value on cost, yes"

What do you like best?

website user friendliness and the cost, I saved over $1,000 perr year, love the ease of the Website too. I recommend this to anyone that needs to pay one employee or multiple employees.

What do you dislike?

nothing yet, so far I have not found anything yet in the service, the website navigation, or anything else that I do not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it is going great so far, highly recommend

saving over $1,000 per year in payroll service fees, compared to the previous company I was with.

Patty H.

"Efficient and Helpful"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use! We are a snall non-profit si it is important to me to have a company that we trust to handle payroll. The wase of input, of acquiring records, of getting help if needed is top notch.

What do you dislike?

I find just one aggravating thing in the software l. Whenever I rum an iff-cyclie check it automatically adjust my payroll dates without asking. I then have to go in and rebuild it again.

I am the only one running our office so this is truly a timesaver!

Jason A.

"When it works, it works. When it doesn't it can take SEVERAL MONTHS of daily calls for resolution."

What do you like best?

SurePayroll is really easy to use. Just enter pay information and everything is done for you. I really like being able to preview payroll amounts quickly. This part of SurePayroll gets a 10/10 rating from me.

What do you dislike?

I was notified by my state that they have no proof of wage withholding taxes being paid -- for years! SurePayroll has been debiting my account to pay these taxes, which amount to thousands of dollars. SurePayroll has the correct state account information, but despite calling almost daily for the past two months, the company has not resolved this issue; they cannot prove that they paid the state any of this money. They have been extremely polite and customer service oriented -- EXCEPT for getting a quick resolution. SurePayroll, please help!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

SurePayroll is a decent system. Room for improvement:

* Beware that you're paying for one payroll per *calendar month*. So, if you process March's payroll April 1st, and April's payroll April 30th, you'll pay for an unused payroll in March, March's payroll April 1st, April's payroll April 30th, and an unused payroll in May, if you process February's payroll at the end of February and May's payroll in the beginning of June. In other words, there's a chance you'll be charged extra processing fees, depending on when you process.

* Customer service is pleasant but unempowered. Don't expect issues to be resolved quicker than 2 months.

SurePayroll, except for their inability to deal with anything non-automated, has a good system for ensuring payroll is processed. It's something my business needs.

AP
Administrator in Political Organization

"Worst payroll provider I've ever seen - stay far away!"

What do you like best?

Honestly, nothing. I can't think of anything that worked well.

What do you dislike?

I'm a former customer and I have to encourage people to find another payroll provider. Surepayroll is the worst. When you own a small business, you just want your products and services to work and to get basic, competent, and respectful help when you can't. Surepayroll won't give you any of those.

They've messed up multiple payrolls in the short time and I wish I had just paid more for a real service, like an ADP.

If you're a customer, you'll expect long wait times and really poor customer service.

I tried cancelling today (February 7th), and Surepayroll is trying to tell me that they won't pay the taxes that they are holding for my empoyee. So in plain English - Surepayroll has taken taxes from my account is sitting on them, and won't send them to the IRS and state department of revenue unless i keep paying them through the end of the quarter. Cancellation should have been easy but the Surepayroll reps are trained to make it as hard as possible. One even played a neat game of saying she wouldn't cancel without me filling out more paperwork but quickly backed off when I told her that I didn't think this was legal.

You are charged a fee for payroll admin and reporting and if you cancel, the company should simply allow you to do that and then make the necessary payments (that they are holding, evidently) and file the reports. They claimed they wouldn't necessarily do that, which means you are not receiving the service they claim to provide.

Totally sketch, totally incompetent, and literally no redeeming qualities. Stay far away.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look, maybe all of the budget providers are this bad. But I would encourage you to stay away and to look at other options. ADP or Quickbooks were priced a bit higher, but worked far better.

Basic payroll administration.

"Great service for nanny payroll!"

What do you like best?

Great customer service & communication are something this company prides itself on and from my experience they do excel at both traits.

What do you dislike?

I’ve had the incorrect answer given to me before and it caused a bit of frustration, but one that was resolved. Also, when setting up the required withholding registrations for your particular state proved a bit different than their instructions, but all worked out in the end - they just need to do a bit more research before giving out step instructions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Surepayroll is great if you are an individual household looking to pay & withhold taxes for your nanny with ease!

We are a household that hired a nanny and needed help navigating the process of paying nanny taxes. Surepayroll has made the process of paying our nanny and complying with required tax withholdings a much easier process - it was a terrifying thought on our own!!

"Totally unusable from an employee perspective"

What do you like best?

Nothing. I guess the best thing about it is that I was able to set up something for myself in the first place, but since then it's been worse than pulling fingernails.

What do you dislike?

Everything. The UI is outdated, but that's only if you can actually access the platform. I have to change my password EVERY SINGLE TIME I log in to the platform because I will accidentally hit their arbitrary limit of THREE (just that, no more) attempts at guessing my password. I use a variety of different combinations of passwords on the various platforms I have to use on a daily basis, and remembering which one I use for this tool that I should only have to use once a year is downright impossible.

If you *gasp* forget your username (which they don't send you in an email), you will have to ask your in-house administrator.

And if you somehow manage to overcome all that and actually get in, you get no information. You can see your pay stubs, but if you try to print those, they look like something you could have doctored up with Microsoft Word. If you want to try to get into your 401k, you have to go through the login process ALL OVER AGAIN! This tool is a joke and is going to crash and burn. You heard it here first.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Avoid at all costs

None. I guess if your business' main problem was too many people accessing their pay stubs or 401k information, then it solves that problem.

Julia M.

"Making payroll easy"

What do you like best?

The payroll feature is easy to use. I have two companies I use SurePayroll for. It is quick and easy to review and process the payrolls. Payroll reports are easy to generate and easy to read. Staff can access their information directly such as printing payslips. Staff get an email notifying them they have been paid. This is a great help for me as I no longer need to produce payslips and generate checks.

What do you dislike?

Having to wait for a customer service representative when I need assistance. But usually the wait isn't too long. I needed to start a new employee and the forms on the SurePayroll site were out of date (2016). I had some issues when I started the payroll as i started half way through a quarter. This caused some underpayment/overpayment in federal taxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use service. It's important to keep SurePayroll up to date with any changes you may have and also any notifications from Government Departments that directly affect your payroll.

I no longer need to write checks to all the staff which frees up a lot of my time. I no longer have to report my payrolls to Federal and State Deparments, as SurePayroll does all the required reporting. The direct deposit features is helpful to employees as they no longer need to cash checks. All end of year forms are generated by surepayroll, ie, W-2's and 1099's. Review of these forms is also easily completed.

Joseph A.

"The ease of using Sure Payroll"

What do you like best?

How user friendly the website is and that I can get on the phone with someone if I have any questions. Access to the payroll from anywhere that has internet. The reminders to run payroll and the cutoff times. Providing the necessary tax forms for new hires and the required compliance posters.

What do you dislike?

The fees but I understand there necessary. Need new pictures in your advertisement. Have to reset employees logins from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For us Sure Payroll has worked great, they provide everything you need for hiring an employee, getting all the necessary paperwork, Identification, and information. Allowing employees to easily request change to their tax status, to filing all the necessary taxes and payments and helping us in our HR department and keeping track of key dates for every employee. Having twenty four hour access helps too.

Linking the payroll to our workers compensation reports makes it accurate and easy for me to see the rates. Paying bonuses through the payroll helps with taxes at the end of the year. Knowing that all the tax reports are filed and properly paid on a timely basis. Reminding the company of the employees birthdays lets us properly address the employees and puts them in a better mood. We can also run a background check through the website.

Rob S.

"SurePayroll is great"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Support team is super helpful. I'm a busy solo operator and dealing with tax filing and whatnot is a major PITA.

What do you dislike?

It's not free. Free would be good. Can't have it all. Seriously, it's a great service and I have no major complaints. I'm honestly picking at nits here.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I've suggested SurePayroll to several of my friends who own small businesses. It's easy and they have excellent customer service. Payroll is a headache I no longer have because SP makes it super easy.

Tax filing and related reporting made simple. It's as easy as maiking sure you click a button. They do the rest.

"The app is spectacular"

What do you like best?

As most payroll systems go, I don't think too hard about the ins and outs of it until it doesn't work or if it's a hassle to check in on paystubs, etc. The Sure Payroll app is a godsend , should you ever want to check on past and current paystubs and any other information that's linked to your profile.

What do you dislike?

I've only ever utilized Sure Payroll's twitter when I was struggling with getting past the "mobile notifications" page on the website. (I wasn't able to receive the activation code, which is more the fault of my service provider than Sure Payroll, but it was annoying that I couldn't skip past that activation code page. So I tweeted at Sure Payroll and got a super unsatisfactory, unhelpful answer. But turns out that the mobile app was so much more beneficial than anticipated.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for the app. It's awesome.

Checking my paystubs, my deductions, my benefits, etc. It's all right there; so helpful.

Learn more about SurePayroll

SurePayroll Videos

Learning about SurePayroll?

* We monitor all SurePayroll reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.