Chrome River EXPENSE

Chrome River EXPENSE

4.0

Control costs with automated, real-time spend policy compliance monitoring and approval routing. Meet your organization’s requirements, and even any billable client policy requirements, by using our flexible compliance and routing engines.

Work for Chrome River EXPENSE?

Learning about Chrome River?

Chrome River EXPENSE Reviews

Ask Chrome River a Question
Showing 267 Chrome River reviews
Chrome River review by Sam C.
Sam C.

"Chrome River for expenses"

What do you like best?

Chrome River expense is a very simple software for inputting expenses. I input various people's expenses, and the format makes it simple to keep track of which expenses I've completed and what the total is. The most helpful part of the Chrome River expense tool is when itemizing certain expenses, it will show the amount left after something is allocated, so it's really easy to check if something is correct or not.

What do you dislike?

One thing that I dislike about Chrome River would be the default order in which it lists inputted items (by date), not by order. So, for example, I will have 12 receipts to input and I will keep track of that order, but when I put them in, they will be reordered by date. This is not entirely bad, because it encourages me to be more mindful of placing things in an intentional order, however sometimes it creates confusion on my end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product to others. A few tips I would give would be uploading all receipts to one document and upload that together to create ease on your part. It is very simple to track and verify if anything is missing and the layout covers all necessary categories in my opinion.

Chrome River allows my managers and coworkers to freely spend money when traveling for work and business purposes, and easily and timely get paid back from our firm. It is simple to use and the software allows for all categories to be covered.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Chrome River EXPENSE
Chrome River review by Chad G.
Chad G.

"Expense Reporting Efficiency"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that we have automated the process to where approval authority and routing now takes place electronically. In the past we used an excel file that was printed out and signed by the employee and then interoffice mailed to their supervisor for approval which at times would substantially delay the approval of an expense report.

What do you dislike?

The item that I dislike the most is that we are currently using the Platinum version of Chrome River and have not moved to using the Mercury version of Chrome River. Most of the enhancements that come out are geared towards the Mercury version of CR and I would like to see us be able to use more of the features. Often times the reporting function is the area that seems to pose the biggest challenge to our Company. I would like to see Chrome River have more enhancements made to this feature to allow for easier use of the reporting function. We want to do more with the specific information that we capture in our expense reports and sometimes find that we are not able to write the reports as easily as we would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to customize Chrome River Expense to be exactly how you want the software to fit your needs. They were great to work with and they have continued to help along the way!

We had several different approval limits throughout the Company and it was very tedious for the Accounts payable department to verify all of these approvals. Now that we have automated the approval authority limits we have realized time savings in the turnaround of expense reports in all phases of the process. It has been great to automate this process. Additionally, it has provided us with detailed data on travel so that we can see what hotels people are staying at, airlines used and car rental companies used in order to negotiate preferred rates.

What Expense Management solution do you use?

Chrome River review by Darla M.
Darla M.

"Been on Chrome River Over a Year Now"

What do you like best?

I love the easiness of reviewing reports and the way that it simplifies the necessary financial information that end users have to use (such as the allocation and expense type). I love the ability to quickly return expenses that need more information, documentation, or other changes - no more sending the paperwork through campus mail and then waiting a few days to get it back. We have several employees that are again change of any kind so are fighting us on this new system, but the vast majority end up really liking Chrome River once they take our trainings and learn how to use it.

What do you dislike?

Chrome River is constantly adding new features, which is great, but several times these newly released features have not worked correctly or weren't actually available as we were told. Primarily it just ends up being a let down when we are excited for a new feature that we were told about, but it doesn't work correctly or isn't released yet even though they included it in the release notes.

The best benefit of Chrome River is eliminating paper expense reports for travel and reimbursements. This allows reports to be processed faster and if they do need corrections, they get back to the expense owner immediately and then returned after correction immediately.

Chrome River review by Karen K.
Karen K.

"Paperless efficiency"

What do you like best?

I love that Chrome River takes the paper shuffle of our expense reimbursement process out of the equation. It's completely electronic from start to finish. Approvals flow through e-mail and are super-easy (just click the green "Accept" button!) for our attorneys and staff. This has ultimately shortened the time from expense report entry to reimbursement, resulting in happier employees.

Also, automated routing ensures that all appropriate approvals for the particular expense amount or type are obtained. It's a very sleek, sophisticated, yet simple to use system. I would recommend it to any organization looking to improve their expense reimbursement experience!

Chrome River offers a conference in Los Angeles (where they're headquartered) about every two years. It's very helpful as it seems they're constantly improving their product and you can't always keep up with all of the changes.

What do you dislike?

Reporting is not the greatest. We don't use it a lot, but sometimes feels a bit "clunky" when we use the predefined reports (sometimes the reporting module simply doesn't open and you have to try again later). Ad hoc reports seem confusing to set up, without taking a lot of time learning how to use them. This is not a huge hindrance for us, though.

Easier visibility into pending expense reports (who is holding up the reimbursement?), paperless environment (no more expense reports milling around the firm, with potential for getting lost), all approvals ensured (no more "sending them back" for additional approvals because they weren't obtained the first time).

Chrome River review by Adam H.
Adam H.

"Expense Report Software"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to take a photo and email it into ChromeRiver, so it prefills out part of the expense report.

What do you dislike?

I'd like to have a phone application, so I can do my input while I'm away from the office at a conference. Perhaps this is a constraint of my bank.

Our old way of doing expense reports was to complete an excel file, and then take photo copies of all receipts and attach them with a staple to the excel printed file. Then it had to be manually sent to your manager for approval, sometimes a second manager, and then inter-officed to accounts payable. All while hoping it wasn't lost in courier service. We wanted software that could help automate this and get eSignatures.

Chrome River review by Jessica C.
Jessica C.

"New for our University"

What do you like best?

I like that we can process individual travel requests through this system, as well as payments to vendors. It makes it easy and stream-lined.

What do you dislike?

With the approval process, Chrome River sends the user an email with a Accept/Reject button in it. When the user clicks Accept, a new email opens up and this has to be sent. I wish there were one less step in this process, because it can be confusing for users that a new email opens up. And with some browsers, the new email never even opens up, so it's hard for the user to respond to the request without having to go directly to Chrome River (which some users find difficult to do).

Using less paper to get the process of reimbursing travelers for expenses. Also paying vendors for services.

Chrome River review by juan jose c.
juan jose c.

" Excellent, fair and simple"

What do you like best?

It is an innovative software, because the workers of the company can use it, not only in computers but also in smart phones, tablet, we can count on a mobile application what it does, that is easy and comfortable, for the creation of reports of the expenses by departments and englosarlos all for a total expense, really very good.

What do you dislike?

It is a software with a lot of experience and that every time has more advance, I do not have any displeasure until the moment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Optimize the time and manage the expenses of your company to make decisions.

In the company is implemented since 2015 and really the results are very good, I believe and manage detailed and complete report of the expenses of the company, besides being dynamic I configure it so that it adapts to my needs in that way the taking of Desicion in the company is influenced by the final reports

Chrome River review by Nicole K.
Nicole K.

"New for Our Organization"

What do you like best?

I really like the ability to upload receipts directly in to ChromeRiver. We did not have this option with the previous product we were using and it's a really great/efficient addition. Especially for those who use their purchasing card a lot!

What do you dislike?

The product as a whole is very different than what we are used to as an organization. The interface doesn't seem incredibly user-friendly. It could be because I'm not using my purchasing card as often as other members therefore, not having as much experience?

As mentioned above, the ability to take a picture of a receipt and upload it directly in to ChromeRiver is a huge added bonus! It is very easy to misplace or lose receipts and the process to reconcile a charge without a receipt can be daunting and tedious.

Chrome River review by Jake W.
Jake W.

"Clean User Interface for Managing Expense Reimbursements"

What do you like best?

I like how intuitive it is to find the menus and options you need. The menu at the top-left of screen provides you a clear list of options. There's no confusion as to where you would find your saved accounts, receipts, forms, etc. I also appreciate having information from my company on the home screen, such as travel policy, getting started guide, and other tutorial documents.

What do you dislike?

This is not a deal breaker by any means, but the space to the right of the home screen where our company's information exists looks a little out of place. I think the content and resources are great, but the layout could be improved.

Travel reimbursements used to require a month or two of waiting in order to get paid for your expenses. We had a paper-based system, and forms typically sat in stacks for days... Chrome River has made the process amazingly quick.

Chrome River review by Amy S.
Amy S.

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

I really like the receipt app. It is so much easier than what I used to have for an expense system. The plus is the ability to photograph the receipt and have it show up in your dashboard without having to send it to yourself, save it, etc. I just drag them into the report. Pretty slick!

What do you dislike?

I am not sure if this is Chrome or my company, but I used to be able to submit a report and my corporate card information could be downloaded right into it. More importantly, once the report was approved, the card got paid, rather than my having to pay it once the report was processed. That's super scary for someone who travels a bunch. I would also like email verifications that my supervisor and then the corporate accounting guru (or whomever is the last approver), has approved the report and then one when it is processed. All other systems I have used have alerted me to progress, especially if I have to pay my own card.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice for receipts! I travel 45-50% of the time and I travel through many currency zones. This makes things easier.

Good workflow for people who travel. Great to have an app to deal with receipts.

Chrome River review by Lucius A. J.
Lucius A. J.

"ChromeRiver expense"

What do you like best?

This was the challenge from our CFO last year. He wanted us to find ways to do things more efficiently and to eliminate paper. What better way then to tackle the expense reimbursement process? What we love about Chrome River is that you can take pictures of receipts with your smart phone and upload/email them to your account. eMail approvals are super easy, plus you can can view any receipt you want to by clicking the link. We also love the fact that we can design approval workflows to meet just about any scenario we need, and we are able to detect duplicate and enforce compliance with our Travel Policy. But most of all the love the people - they are very professional and highly customer-focused. They want to ensure all their clients are happy and satisfied with their product.

What do you dislike?

There are 2 things we don't like. The reporting is not that robust or user-friendly. Most of our users do not like the hotel wizard. They find it very cumbersome and confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it.

A/p over processing time.

Chrome River review by Administrator

"Our University has been live for almost a year"

What do you like best?

I love the Tracking Feature the most. In the past, our paper forms were lost in the mail or on someone's desk but now everything is time and date stamped to know exactly where it is. No more wondering who didn't do their part.

What do you dislike?

Trying to think if there really is anything I do dislike.......nope, can not think of one. The Help-Desk staff are friendly, the software works as promised, so nothing really comes to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If looking for a software to automate or improve your existing travel reimbursement process, I highly recommend choosing Chrome River. They offer new and innovative ways to scan receipts, listen to the needs of your institution, and have a wonderful help-desk team who respond usually on the same day. Chrome River can create rules to do things like who to route to next once the traveler approves, if international travel go to this person, if lodging exceeds 200% go to this person, verify there is a receipt attached by line item, and numerous others rules. If you have a rule, I am confident Chrome River will have a solution. I have been told by several of our users that this software is really user friendly and much better than our paper form.

Being our prior system was an Excel Spreadsheet, we solved the issue of having to update all the formulas every time there was a change in state guidelines. Having all the paper being routed through Chrome River now instead of by interoffice mail as been eliminated the risk of reimbursements being lost. Our travel auditor does not have to do numerous tasks like sending the paperwork back when no receipt or wrong receipt has been attached, and other tasks similar to this one. Chrome River has all of our travel manual guidelines customized to fit our needs. One of the most important ones if there is no receipt attached, we take the green submit button away so it can't be submitted without it. You can have rules and guidelines to meet your companies needs.

Chrome River review by Melody R.
Melody R.

"Chrome River expense reimbursements"

What do you like best?

Chrome River is very customizable. Rules are easy to amend and the back end administration access is extensive. Chrome River as a company is constantly innovating and adding new features and abilities. Even the platform itself has been updated and keeps improving. The company listens to their client needs and responds.

What do you dislike?

Report writing could be better. Because the program is so customized to your own policies, the collection of the data can be a bit tricky. There are a dozen standard Reports that allow data to be pulled which have worked for us the majority of the time. The good thing is those standard reports can be pulled via Excel with dozens of fields so then sorting and searching in the export is very simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review and map your current expense reimbursement policies. Whether they are simple or complex, Chrome River can handle the routing so the process is automated and seamless. The Preapprovals addition and the Credit Card features as well as Hotel Folios are tools that can make expense reporting much easier for the end user.

Policies can be cut and dried, or changeable per group. For instance we have different spend levels on meals depending on the title of the person. Chrome River makes the policies easy to understand and be in compliance.

Chrome River review by Jeff K.
Jeff K.

"So much better than our old process"

What do you like best?

The ability to link personal or corporate credit cards to the application and have them automatically sync with receipt images is a huge time saver in our organization. Previously, we had a clunky process that barely functioned and did not move receipt images over to our time and billing system. Now with ChromeRiver, we have a streamlined process that includes the images which allows for easier pass-through billing of our clients.

What do you dislike?

It's not necessarily intuitive when you begin using the product, but after a few days it becomes second nature. They tout not having an application as a feature, but honestly, it would make the user experience better. The HTML5 mobile version is frustrating enough that I don't use it.

We are able to download and import file for our ERP system as often as we would like and get the information pushed through to billing in a more streamlined fashion.

Chrome River review by Zach W.
Zach W.

"Plentiful Features, Clunky Execution "

What do you like best?

There is a lot of versatility with the product. Tons of built in options for expenses in a variety of categories. The ability to have SSO access is convenient. The mileage function is excellent with the inclusion of Google Maps.

What do you dislike?

It's very possible that we are still using an older version of the program, but it's not super intuitive, and the lack of an Android app is puzzling. It's clunky to have to click around as much as you do to get items in the correct categories. It's not difficult, but it does take a while to complete correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ability to have an app on your phone would be excellent. From the looks of things on their website, this is something they offer and it's possible my company just doesn't support it yet. They do have a dedicated email address to send away receipt photos to and have them uploaded automatically. There is a lot of clicking to get things in the appropriate category, but it's not difficult once you get the hang of it.

CR has made it easier for purchasing to contain everything in one location. It manages our expense cards as well as having the ability to input 100% payback expenses for those who don't travel as often.

Chrome River review by Luke S.
Luke S.

"Great tool for expenses (and invoices)"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. This would be my number one takeaway as my team is in charge of training all end users on this application. It is impossibly easy to use. They also have some great options to customize the application to fit into your unique environment.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any major qualms. I would say that some of our internal rules slowed down our initial rollout but now feel we have a good system in place to use all of CRs capabilities

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time to review your processes and procedures so you don't complicate things from the start. Don't over complicate training, keep it simple and allow your users to practice with the tool before roll out.

Eliminating paper expense reports. A lot of the work is now automated or put through a workflow to remove timely bottlenecks.

Chrome River review by Jonathan O.
Jonathan O.

"Chrome River simplifies expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Chrome River is intuitive and easy to use. There is a cool feature that you can snap a photo of receipts and email them directly to Chrome River, but I don't use this feature, as I like to be able to scan the receipts in myself and make sure everything is clear and legible before uploading them.

What do you dislike?

As you enter expense items, by default it sorts them by the order entered. You can manually sort them by date, but I would prefer that they automatically sort by date.

Before using Chrome River, my firm used a Word template for expense reimbursements. While I was familiar with the form from using it for years, it didn't calculate totals automatically and was a hassle if you needed to add a new day onto the beginning or middle of the date range. Now, it's very easy to add receipts without needing to sort them all out first - you can just enter them.

Chrome River review by jennifer E.
jennifer E.

"Manage your expenses so they don't manage you. "

What do you like best?

Chrome River Expense is being used firm-wide as a complete replacement to an old in-house developed solution that was based off of an MS Access database. Expense has allowed our firm to speed up processing of expense reports, better track how we spend and more accurately and efficiently get expenses charged to clients, as applicable. The integration with our accounting database is nearly seamless which has all but erased the need to rekey anything.

What do you dislike?

It would be better if there was some kind of notification to the administration, finances when an expense paid by the company was sitting on someone's board for more than 30 days. It would be useful to be able to see invoices without sending drafts and expense reports on a dashboard instead of running analytical reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Chrome River Expense is really great for people who travel. It allows you to send receipts by email and can be applied directly to new reports. This means fewer opportunities to miss receipts during trips. It is also suitable for executives and professionals who have assistants who will enter expenses on their behalf. Proxy capability is easy to use and easy to control for administrators.

It works well to keep electronic receipts organized, as they can only be sent to the platform instead of being printed, which is especially useful for airline tickets, purchases made through the Square application, Uber, Lyfts, hotel reservations, etc. Really frustrating to break a stay at the hotel: it requires dividing the types of charges (parking, meals charged to the room, real accommodations, etc.). It takes much longer on my part than the old system.

Chrome River review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"User Friendly Interface, bit sluggish"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use. I like that the dashboard gives a quick overview of the status of your expenses. I also like the way the reports are displayed when you move to the expense entry screen. It's clear which reports are in progress, which ones were returned, and then theres a separate section for reports that were approved and it also shows their status. The tool to enter the expense report is intuitive - the categories are clearly labeled and easy to navigate from one to the other. The actual screens where you need to enter further detail are also intuitive and I like that it carries business purpose across individual entries. I also like that you can drag and drop receipt images to the line item they apply to.

What do you dislike?

It's a little slow from screen to screen - not sure if that's just our network but it's pretty consistently slow. I don't like the process for uploading receipts. It only takes .pdf files and you have to scroll through all of them with every upload. i wish that was a little easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works really well if you can integrate corporate card usage with it.

Chrome river allows me to easily enter expenses from work travel. it is tied in with our corporate credit card which makes it even easier.

Chrome River review by Denise P.
Denise P.

"Review of Chrome River after 3 months of use"

What do you like best?

It's easy! We have about 130 users with Corporate Credit Cards and the great majority of them have caught on quickly to the program. It has been a learning experience for all of us, but a great benefit to our company for expense coding and approval.

What do you dislike?

Some of the back-end work. Because we as a Company, PAY for the Corporate Card, there is a little more work involved on the back end to make sure all of the cardholders expenses are entered correctly and the CC feed items used. This isn't a fault of CR, more of how we choose to process our Corp Card as a company.

Expense coding. Prior to this, we had one Finance person coding an 80+ page credit card statement manually each month (approx 12 hours of work) and basically using SWAG... now, as long as the system codes items properly we are good to go and the rest of them, we see and have the employee fix if they should be in a different expense bucket. Saving SO MUCH TIME! and our expenses are much more accurately coded.

Chrome River review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Solid web-based expense and check request platform"

What do you like best?

Approvals are automated and online; very easy! They keep making updates to the system and always seem to be striving for more. I get emails from them on a regular basis about the latest and greatest things they have implemented.

What do you dislike?

Flash environment is a bit 'stiff' at times.

We'd done expense reports the old-school way for years - sending in paper receipts to a specific office. No more. Take pictures of receipts with your phone and send it in. Fill out your report later and it even pulls in your corporate card info, too!

Chrome River review by Morgan  L.
Morgan L.

"Chrome River is very user friendly"

What do you like best?

When I was first taught in ChromeRiver I found it extremely easy to use. Everything you would need was there and if I ever had a thought about what I needed to add, ChromeRiver had a button for it. I found it easy to navigate ChromeRiver.

What do you dislike?

When uploading attachments, I've found it hard to delete parts of an attachment before saving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Chrome River is extremely easy to use. They also have a great support team that will answer your questions with a quick response.

Reimbursements have been used and have benefited our company while solving problems as well.

Chrome River review by E'Lisha G.
E'Lisha G.

"Expenses Made Easy"

What do you like best?

ChromeRiver replaced a very outdated papers system for my employer. I love that expenses can be uploaded via the app, through an email, or scanned in; I complete expenses for our department and for various colleagues, and this really simplifies my life.

What do you dislike?

Due to security reasons, I don't have the full functionality of the platform (I understand the reason for this); I would really like to see what could be accomplished with the full functionality. [I understand that this is more of a dislike due to employer restriction versus that of the actual application.]

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it! You won't regret it.

I am able to process vendor payments and employee reimbursements in a timely fashion, view the approval pathway, and follow up with the necessary persons without delay.

Chrome River review by Cathy F.
Cathy F.

"Chrome River Expense"

What do you like best?

Really like how easy to use the interface is - for new users especially, it is intuitive and simple to navigate.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything not to like. Very simple to use and to refer back to reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good support, excellent product! Easy to use and easy to train users to use!

Chrome River is so much more efficient and makes everything so much easier to track; I love the 'Snap & Send' feature, and I won't have to spend time tracking down receipts anymore.

Chrome River review by Susana L.
Susana L.

"The Most Effective Tool for Expense Sorting!"

What do you like best?

Chrome River is such an easy to use program! Everything is extremely simple to understand and their organization tools and sorting options make entering expenses and filing for reimbursements an enjoyable part of the job.

What do you dislike?

I feel like sometimes it freezes and I get kicked out of the program which can be annoying but it doesn't happen too often!

Recommendations to others considering the product

One hundred percent recommend this over any other expense organization program you may be using!

Being able to process reimbursement requests for my attorneys with such ease is the most beneficial part of using this program.

Chrome River review by Jesse R.
Jesse R.

"Modern Expense Management"

What do you like best?

There are so many pluses to Chrome River that it is hard to pin point the best features. Aside from the slick and clean GUI that our firm end users see, one of the best features of Chrome River is that it contains a very robust and configurable rules engine. The rules engine allows for everything from very simple to very intricate routing of reports based on a litany of data points ranging from the expense owner, their office, department, job title, to the actual expense types and GL codes being used. The configurability of these rules is also applicable to the various forms that are used allowing for further configurations that can also be based on the end user submitting a request.

What do you dislike?

For basic Ad Hoc reporting the Chrome River BI solution is perfectly capable however more advanced custom BI reporting has been my personal biggest down side. To be clear, the application contains a large number of stock reports that answer a lot of basic business needs questions, like aging etc... however for custom reporting specific to your firm, those used to Cognos or using SQL with BIDS may find that the system has slow response and lacks functions like case statements and the ability to run sub queries and the inability to run Expense and Invoice (separate module) on the same report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to do your due diligence and consider other vendors too, however we found that Chrome River offered the most features/functions at the best costs compared to some of their biggest rivals.

The single biggest problem solved with my firm is moving from a home brew expense management system to a enterprise level system that is fully scalable at an affordable price. The rules engine and workflow that come out of it allow for better management of expenses, better visibility to the appropriate stakeholders, and in the case of my firm quicker and more accurate billing to clients.

Chrome River review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Chrome River Expense Review"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to add multiple expenses and receipts to one entry. The receipt upload function makes it simple to add pictures of your receipts or online PDFs if the receipt is online. The user also does not have to match the receipts with the expense entries or anything like that - it is done automatically. Which also simplifies the process!

What do you dislike?

I wish the options for type of expense entries were simplified. There are many different categories and types of expenses to choose from and I feel that the options overlap some.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sometimes the expense reports are cumbersome and ask for a considerable amount of detail, so I find that it is helpful to use the "save/close" function to keep track of my expenses as I go instead of trying to upload everything at once.

Chrome River EXPENSE allows employees to efficiently enter business related expenses into the system for reimbursement. The accuracy of the software benefits the company by tracking relevant business expenses as well as the employee.

Chrome River review by Administrator

"Chrome River and Expenses"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like about Chrome River is being able to submit receipts for expenses via email or my mobile device. A close second is the interface used on the mobile device.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the response times when I have to contact the helpdesk for tech issues that our users encounter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Product keeps improving and new features added to make the experience better for customers. They are agile in being able to patch up any holes and adding new features.

We have improved the time it takes to reimburse our associates and moved into the digital age. Turn around time has been great and all automated! Also, the analytics and reporting has been improved and customizable to our needs.

Chrome River review by Danielle S.
Danielle S.

"Paperless expense transactions"

What do you like best?

You can begin doing your expenses as soon as they occur or even prior to your trip by creating a draft. The system is user friendly. Easy to learn. No paper trails.

What do you dislike?

I've noticed a few times the mileage/map feature doesn't take on the first try. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using a paper.hard copy expense system, consider looking into Chrome River.

Expenses always used to be submitted with a hard copy, multiple receipts, maps, explanations. This system is all online/streamlined with a lot of features that automatically calculate/load what you need to input. You can also upload photos of receipts as soon as you have one.

"Time Saving"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use, looking at each receipt with the appropriate expense. I also like that I can return a portion of the expense report if there is anything I would not approve. I like the ability to adjust.

What do you dislike?

Once you get to the end of all receipts, you have to exit in order to submit, then submit again. It can also be confusing when you need to return only a portion of the expense report. It looks like the entire amount has been approved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easier to keep track of the reports recieived. Setting up the notifications, eleiminates the constant calls or emails regarding status

I have not really noticed any problems it has solved. But the benefits are quicker turn around time on processing, the ease of returning an expense report.

Chrome River review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Everyone complains about it"

What do you like best?

It doesn’t use paper, although it might work better if it did.

What do you dislike?

All of my coworkers complain about having to deal with Chrome River. It is klunky and the interface doesn’t make sense. Many times the menus are context sensitive, but their contents don’t actually change, so you aren’t aware that the functions provided by the menu items have changed. And it doesn’t always change, so you end up just poking around every time you use it, as if it’s the first time, because you don’t really know how it works because the menus and behavior are so inconsistent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t.

We report credit card usage. Personally, I haven’t realized any benefits.

Chrome River review by Carolina B.
Carolina B.

"Chrome River has automated our purchasing card processes and has provided better expense management"

What do you like best?

I like that we have instant access to all of our purchasing card transactions. No matter where we are, we can easily access reports, make changes, and process expenses.

I also like that there are several ways to upload receipts and that we can see exactly where the report is at in the approval process.

What do you dislike?

I wish the AdHoc reports were a little bit more user-friendly. There is much potential there, but it is hard to find the right columns to create reports.

We are now able to track expenses more accurately and with more information. One example is in our sustainability efforts. We are able to see how many people travel in our campus, what means of transportation they use, how many miles they drive for business reasons, etc.

Chrome River review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Extremely easy to use "

What do you like best?

Prior to our company beginning to use Chrome River for expense reports, we filed all expenses manually on a spreadsheet. Chrome River simplified this process to where my typical expense report takes 10-15 minutes to complete instead of up to an hour! The best feature is the ability to photograph a receipt and email it straight to your expense report.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything I dislike about Chrome River.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent - especially if you do not currently have a software solution for expense reports.

The benefits I have realized are both with time saving and with organization. If I photograph and email receipts right away, I do not have to worry about misplacing the receipts.

Chrome River review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Chrome River Review"

What do you like best?

I like being able to easily switch between users since I have 2 managers I also frequently submit expenses for. I also love being able to easily see the status of each specific expense so when my managers ask for an update, I can tell them where it's currently at in the process. And finally, I like that you can link the receipts to the correct expense. I think it prevents a lot of confusion which saves time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't always see all expenses submitted beyond a certain date. I'd love it if I could see those more easily in the quick view under expenses.

It makes submitting expenses quick and easy which allows things to be reimbursed from the budget on time and in the month they were accrued.

Chrome River review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Love the River! No more Paper!"

What do you like best?

It’s great how we can embed our policy within Chrome River. This ensures us that rules are being followed and the policy is being adhered to. This also resulted in a more consistent flow of process and procedure.

What do you dislike?

The hotels can be a bit frustrating when they are returned and being edited by the end user. A lot of times the entire hotel is not returned, and this makes it difficult for the end user to edit on their end. They normally are forced to put any remaining amount in the “non-reimbursable field” and then enter that amount on a new report for reimbursement. They then end up having to pay our Corporate Card directly which is fine but it’s not ideal for the user.

Much more visibility into pending or previous expense reports. It also shows who the report is with for approval which is a great help (Love tool tracking!) The paperless aspect is also a great benefit.

Chrome River review by Executive Sponsor in Real Estate
Executive Sponsor in Real Estate

"Don't be a dinosaur"

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Chrome River is an extremely flexible expense reimbursement tool that will compete with the best of the best. There is very little that we wish to do that it cannot accommodate. I would definitely recommend Chrome River Expense to any one wanting to improve their expense reimbursement process.

We wanted to eliminate paper and automate the expense reimbursement process, help create adherence to our travel policy and mitigate the risk of duplicate payments.

Chrome River review by Tyler C.
Tyler C.

"Somewhat great platform"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it connects to my American express corporate card. I login, make the expense report name, grab and item and attach a receipt.

What do you dislike?

I can never remember what the email address is to upload receipts straight from my phone. It would be easier if I could just select that option

The time it takes to make an expense report

Chrome River review by User

"Excellent and straightforward cloud-based expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Using Chrome river leads to faster reimbursement. It accepts images of receipts (via email or upload), reads receipts and pulls in most transaction information, and built in per diem wizard, mileage calculator & lodging limits.

What do you dislike?

Our institution just recently transitioned to using chrome river, and I have not experienced any problems using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It may take time to get the hang of using chrome river. While it is a pretty straightforward software to use, one can navigate through the different features in order to maximize the experience.

We use chrome river for liquidation and reimbursement processes.

Chrome River review by Jon M.
Jon M.

"A good tool but could use some improvements"

What do you like best?

I do like that you can group multiple expenses in one "expenses"

What do you dislike?

It's a little cumbersome to get started. Kind of confusing on how to enter everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe add quick tips during initial set-up would be very helpful.

It's nice not having to save every receipt and we can just take pictures and submit them as proof.

Chrome River review by Courtney N.
Courtney N.

"Chrome River Expense Review"

What do you like best?

Chrome River has completely revolutionized our AP processes, allowing us to process employee expense reports more efficiently. Users are able to track their own expense reports through the approval process, which they love. AP staff are able to spend time auditing reports for policy compliance and accuracy as opposed to simply performing data entry tasks. What used to be a very manual process has now been automated.

What do you dislike?

The analytical feature is a bit difficult to master, but is possible if willing to put in the time.

Our AP processes used to be very manual and we found that multiple individuals were doing similar tasks. Chrome River Expense has allowed us to automate much of our manual tasks and prevent duplicate efforts. It has also given us greater visibility of our expenses, allowing us to forecast more effectively and create more detailed reports.

Chrome River review by Administrator

"Finance reporting gone digital!"

What do you like best?

Our old system of reporting was very archaic- lots of paper and copies and was very time consuming! Chrome River is so with the times and takes the process from daunting to enjoyable! So easy to photograph or scan receipts in to the system and assign them to transactions, and everything is easy to find and use on the dashboard.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if, once in a created draft, it would save recently used fields or info per user (currently just saves the last used, but when going from transaction to transaction, I often have to change the coding and desc all the time, and at least with having the last few I could choose ones I used often from a list and would save even more time!)

Easy to use, cutting down environmental impact (printing) and making submitting reports faster and easier

Chrome River review by User in Financial Services

"clunky "

What do you like best?

I like that you can email receipts easily.

What do you dislike?

It’s super annoying to start a report or add items to a report. It’s counterintuitive and after using it several times I still struggle with it a bit when first creating a report. My older colleagues REALLY struggle with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don’t like the software honestly. Id compared with other similar softwares and focus on ease of use in selecting expense reporting software.

It’s supposed to help us submit expenses for the corporate card. It has reduced input because it links directly to the card.

Chrome River review by Yelizaveta L.
Yelizaveta L.

"A system that takes time to learn but becomes intuitive"

What do you like best?

I like that the system makes the reimbursement process a lot more intuitive. Its easy to use once you have been trained

What do you dislike?

I think that there needs to be an option to alphabetize buttons and user names in the way you prefer (Last name or first name). Also an option to stray away from a button/ picture to a written menu,

I am submitting expenses for reimbursement from our finance department.

Chrome River review by Alejandra C.
Alejandra C.

"Chrome River Allows for Transparency "

What do you like best?

I love having the abilities to create expense reports for others. By them being included as an option to "route to approver"- both parties feel included.

What do you dislike?

So far, the only thing I dislike of Chrome River is the need to explain for when specific boxes aren't checked. It delays the process.

Solving the problem of people not getting correct reimbursement for expenses.

Chrome River review by Philip C.
Philip C.

"Could use some improvement on Chrome River"

What do you like best?

It's probably where I can track the status of my expenses report. I am able to see the progress of who is approving my expenses report.

What do you dislike?

They should really do something about uploading documents as receipt. It's not intuitive nor user friendly to try to get the needed documents to the report. Also, when I wanted to flip through the receipts to make sure they are updated, it is so hard to flip through the entire documents without pausing it every few seconds.

Typically I use it to submit my business purposes expenses report.

Chrome River review by Craig N.
Craig N.

"Expense reporting with ease"

What do you like best?

Chrome River expense is easy to use and allows users to create expense reports from their computer, laptop or tablet. The ability to link our corporate credit card transactions makes filing an expense report even easier.

What do you dislike?

The receipt capture technology does always work as intended. Improvements have made the technology work better but from time to time receipts are still incorrect.

Consolidating spend to the corporate card so that we can accurately track expense each month. We no longer have surprise expense reimbursements at year end for large amounts that come as a surprise.

Chrome River review by Shawn E.
Shawn E.

"AP Automation Perfected"

What do you like best?

Automated Workflow – The manual approval process for invoices and expenses in place before Chrome River was unreliable. Weeks would go by before an invoice was approved and sent to AP for processing. Now we are able to get an invoice to the business owner much more quickly and we can track where the invoice is in the workflow. This was a huge improvement for expense reports. T&E’s are processed much faster and employees are being reimbursed in a more timely fashion. Auditing expenses for accuracy and compliance is much simpler now that we have our compliances built into Chrome River.

What do you dislike?

One of the issues I did have was with the lack of information pertaining to the Reporting Analytics tool. At the time, there were only a few documents on how to use Analytics and they were out dated. I mentioned this to our CSM at the time and the documents have since been updated. Also, many other changes have been made in Analytics to help the end user. Overall, the Help Desk is extremely knowledgeable and quick to respond to inquiries.

Built in Compliance Rules Engine – Having invoices and expense reports manually signed and checked for compliance issues was cumbersome. With Chrome River, invoices and expenses are sent to the appropriate business owner based on our firm’s organizational structure. Compliance rules are built into expense and easy to maintain.

Chrome River review by User

"Simplified travel expense process"

What do you like best?

The speed in which approvals can be processed/authorized for travel for staff. Not having to chase down signatures from staff.

What do you dislike?

The fact that the system stalls when you are trying to work between processes or go into multiple persons to retrieve information. It works better when it is a simple process. The more complex you try to work the worse it stalls.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely should use this system. Makes the travel process so much simpler. Eliminates paperwork, speed of process is wonderful. The mileage calculator is so helpful.

The ability to store receipts and match them up with credit card charges.

"Chrome River Expense Review"

What do you like best?

Chrome River keeps up with the latest and greatest technological enhances. They are always striving to improve their systems and interfaces to stay relevant and I appreciate the effort to continuously make our user experiences easier. One of my favorite features it he AMEX real time notifications for Expense Report Submissions

What do you dislike?

The time it takes to edit our user interface may take longer than desired. Often times, I will be submitting tickets to add/edit fields as our company grows and it takes longer than desired to updates these changes.

Expense Reporting is now at the tip of our employees own fingers. Taking a photo of a receipt and sending the support right away allows for greater control of our spend, reporting expenses within the month that they are incurred and the direct pay feature allows for users to be paid right away. This is great compared to our older system which requires a scan of receipts that users pile and create months after the fact. This system allows for optimal efficiency if our users can only see how easy it is to use.

Chrome River review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Chrome River has helped us automate expenses and policy compliance"

What do you like best?

electronic images and automated routing rules - the system has really helped us move away from paper copies and sending a bunch of emails back and forth

What do you dislike?

seems basic in some areas without much flexibility to customize /change interface or forms (e.g. expense pre-approval)

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you want to automate your expense approval process and eliminate email approvals, build in compliance and policy control, and make it easier for users to submit expenses it would be a good idea to put Chrome River in place for your organization

compliance is now built into the expense process and helps guide users when entering their reports. users like the ease of the expense entry with offline items and credit card items

Learn more about Chrome River EXPENSE

Chrome River EXPENSE Videos

Learning about Chrome River EXPENSE?

* We monitor all Chrome River EXPENSE reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.