QuarkXPress Reviews & Product Details

What is QuarkXPress?

QuarkXPress is the leading graphic design and page layout software for creative professionals. It’s used by hundreds of thousands of users around the world who value quality and performance in their daily production of print and digital projects. Lifetime License – No Subscription. Turn your ideas into reality with QuarkXPress. It’s the graphic design software that gives you precise control over text, images, shapes, color, opacity, and it’s compatible with a broad range of file formats. No design is too simple or too complex — and no page layout software gives you more control. See the full detailed feature list here. For more than 30 years, millions of users — from freelance designers to global organizations, marketing departments, agencies, print providers, and publishers — have used QuarkXPress to produce advertising, brochures, magazines, books, catalogs, newspapers, flipbooks, mobile apps, and more. Why? Because QuarkXPress offers the ultimate in creativity, design control, and professional print and digital output. Quark is currently offering a competitive upgrade which is a full new perpetual license. You own the software – No subscriptio. All you need is a qualifying product, such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Creative Cloud, CorelDraw, MS Publisher and others. And when switching or adding QuarkXPress to your workflow you are saving £376/€430/$450 on the full product price ($399/€399 instead of $849/€829). That’s more than 50% off a new, unrestricted commercial license of QuarkXPress 2018! Learn more http://www.quark.com/switch and download the free trial http://www.quark.com/Products/QuarkXPress/Test_Drive.aspx

QuarkXPress Screenshots

1-50 of 157 total Quark reviews

QuarkXPress Reviews

1-50 of 157 total Quark reviews
Computer Engineer

"It'll be great once they get it working"

What do you like best?

I like the automation features such as master pages and content variables. Edit once, update everywhere.

What do you dislike?

Crash, crash, crash. When I pay $800 for software in 2018, I expect it to run. Quark doesn't. Simple operations like pressing Ctrl+Z or switching focus to another program frequently trigger crashes. This is all on a modern PC purchased in the last year which runs InDesign just fine. The user interface has odd behavior when switching between desktop programs, and the interface flashes as you move things around. A simple page with maybe 30 elements on in will scroll slowly, while InDesign scrolls smooth on the same conditions. No simple way to send Quark feedback (hence me coming to this random review site to give my feedback.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you decide to go this way, back up all your stuff. Skim the guide on their web site to make sure you catch all the cool features. Quark's flashing interface and constant crashing will make you pull your hair out, so consider working with a friend by your side so you don't feel like you're losing your mind..

Creating technical user manuals for food processing equipment. Automatic section and subsection titles at the top of the page are easy to create. Powerful tools for paragraph style sheets let us achieve a manual that looks up to par with industry standards.

Director
Public Relations and Communications

"Gives a competitive advantage to its users"

What do you like best?

QuarkXPress is being aggressively developed. It does things which no other DTP software does, such as converting complex vectors into native objects from any source, free creation of iOS and Android apps and seamless HTML5 creation. Since 2012 it has first overtaken ID and then rapidly outstripped it. While ID has had cosmetic improvements and minor tweaks, QX has piled on major features in every version.

What do you dislike?

QuarkXPress is less known than it used to be, and dramatically less known than it deserves to be. It needs a higher social media profile.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Join the Facebook group. Also, if you are a not-for-profit, make sure that you get the enormous not-for-profit discount, which is effectively the cheapest upgrade price to purchase outright. If you are coming from ID, expect to make a small investment of time to master QuarkXPress.

Organisations often come to me when they have documents which are too complex or are on too short deadlines for their in-house team to solve using their bundled-subsciption-based software. With QuarkXPress, I can take all of their business graphics, including legacy PDF files, PDF files supplied from ArcGIS or MapInfo, files supplied to them designed by third parties, Word and PowerPoint Graphics and Excel charts and Excel tables, and natively import them, conforming them to the visual identity guidelines. With the current version, i do this about 5-10x faster than I was able to previously, when I worked with a mixed environment of Quark and other vendor products. Now Quark does it all.

Information Manager
Sports

"QuarkXpress, the king is still the king"

What do you like best?

QuarkXPress had been around since I remember. I started using it around 1991 and never stopped. Its frame based design, precision, extensions, support, features are not paired by any other product on the market. From simple brochures to books, magazines or creative design, QuarkXPress is capable of handling the job. Additional features like HTML engine, mobile app and eBooks are a plus and very welcome. I am a very happy user, having been upgrading it to latest versions

What do you dislike?

Wish they could have a larger market share. Also, support for final production is not easy sometimes as some printing shops do not accept native QuarkXpress files. Not a big problem as we usually submit press quality PDF's but might be an issue if some adjustments are necessary, the bureau is not able to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You might believe it is not possible to use QuarkXPress in a world dominated by Adobe but it is! Give it a try. The price of the product is very competitive, they have multiple promotions for cross-upgrades and support is excellent. Learning curve is also minimal. I highly recommend it as an addition to your creative tools. You might be very well surprised.

QuarkXPress has been a valuable tool for fast turn around of drafts and mockups and super fast when migrating into the final design or project. The integration with some Publishing Automation tools, like the Quark Publishing System and the XML Editor is also very important to us.

Managing Director
Fine Art

"Quark XPress is mature, very stable, and produces perfect print-ready PDFs"

What do you like best?

Having used Quark from the start, and having tried other page makeup applications, I've always returned to Quark. The typography handling is superb, and the interface easy to get around. I've even seen complete non-technical novices make their first layout without even looking at the manual.

The pricing is extremely generous for the quality. Why would anyone use InDesign apart from "everyone's using it" or "my company only has Adobe licenses" or "I use Photoshop and…" etc. The one-off licence fee for two machines is refreshing in a period where annual subscriptions are widespread. I've published many professional books for clients in Quark, and find the workflow seamless.

I also like Quark's independence, and the fact that it pioneers features that users want. While I wouldn't use every single feature, I always feel there's something new to discover or use and have never felt limited by the software.

What do you dislike?

The various Quark-related website(s) are confusing and messy, and don't communicate well - please integrate the main site, support and licences so we don't have to sign in separately EVER! Otherwise, support is generally good. There was one bug a few versions ago that caused a crash on moving a text box, but that was fixed. I can't think of a single issue apart from that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Quark XPress is a powerful, well-priced and independent tool that's worth adopting in your workflow. Make your own decision about the "everyone uses InDesign" hype - "popular" does not always equal "best"!

Professional-level print publishing, and PDF generation for various kinds of output.

"The switch from inDesign to QuarkXpress 2018"

What do you like best?

So far the thing that I appreciate most is that all of the "menus" that I need are together in a convenient location. The most important thing is that the transformation from one software platform to another has been relatively simple. The final selling point for me was the ability to import an idml file into QuarkXpress.

What do you dislike?

I used the % resize feature quite frequently with InDesign. I have been able to work around that feature by re-scaling my graphic box and then fitting graphic to box.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I definitely know that QuarkXpress is superior inDesign 5.0. I also appreciate the many uTube tutorials that are available. I find them more helpful than the documentation--also thorough, but not as helpful.

I have mainly been using QuarkXpress to publish a newsletter for our local Sons in Retirement Branch, and now to publish a similar newsletter for our State SIR organization. I have only published using pdf format, but am anxious to work on HTML5 pages.

Response from Matthias Guenther of Quark

Hi Jerry,

not sure what you ar emissing about % scaling. You have noticed the "Scale" palette, right?

Thanks

Owner

"Have used Quark for many years and prefer it to InDesign"

What do you like best?

I'm just beginning to use Quark2018, and I'm liking the quick ways to manipulate text and graphics boxes on the menu bars at the bottom. At first I missed my key commands (upgraded from Quark 8.5), but I'm learning to love the new box interfaces.

What do you dislike?

I have always thought I'd like it if Quark had a text editor like the old Pagemaker, where you could go into an entire body of text in a long document and edit styles, find and replace, stuff like that. I don't dislike that it's not there, just think it would be handy!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great app that's easy to learn how to use, good customer support, help files are useful; I have used this for everything from tiny little ads for my clients to large business directory books for a chamber of commerce. I also use it for informational images about my art product on my Etsy shop and to create the electronic downloadable files for greeting cards, calendars, and planners I sell there.

I don't know that it "solves" any business problems other than it's my preferred layout program and I use it a lot.

"Quark is "Quarky" "

What do you like best?

I've worked with Quark since 1996. I've always thought Quark was a little "quarky", but even if I had problems with using the program I could always find a work around and still get the job done. Currently my favorite release is the 2017 version. I've got no complains with it because it works for everything I need.

What do you dislike?

Currently running both Quark 2017 and 2018. My single most problem with 2018 is FONTS. I have no problems with my fonts being recognized and displayed correctly in the Q2017, but Q2018 is a whole other issue. I prefer to use FontAgent over Font Book, and Q2018 doesn't work with that program. I had to resort to purchasing Font Filter extension for Q2018 to get my fonts to display correctly in the drop down selection menu. Bottom line: I would recommend Q2017, Not Q2018 at this point till there is a patch for this problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend purchasing the Q2017 and not Q2018 at this time.

I use Quark for ALL file creation projects. Our entire line of products is based off of Quark files. The benefit of using Quark is being able to pull in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat into my layouts with ease. As well as using JoLetter extension for doing a data merge from a Microsoft Excel file.

Response from Matthias Guenther of Quark

Hi Samantha,

we talked to Insider Software and they say that FontAgent works well with QuarkXPress 2018. Can you please share details of the issue with support@quark.com?

Thanks

(Myself Only)

"Stable. Changing with the times."

What do you like best?

Most important feature that I like that compared to when I get somone elses InDesign file, I can select all the copy and hit the leading up or down and it will take out leading by 1 or 1/2 point everywhere. Indesign doesnt do it.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the data merge, just dont get it...If I have to do something with data merge InDesign is a hell of a lot easier. More free stuff online with InDesign tips then quark.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Love that its non subscription. Im nearing the retirement phase of my career and would be nice to continue doing some work on the side. A subscription would greatly eat into any money I would happen to make. Same I would think would be for a designer starting out or a student. Have InDesign, try Quark on a trial period. It is very similar.

Benefit of Quark over InDesign. If for some reason customer wants to send to another printer to make changes, they dont have quark. So I actually keep the business since I have files in Quark.

"Next Generation Document Management"

What do you like best?

The introduction of a clean/consistent DOM to manage all assets of a QXP project is a great advancement - and opens up many exciting possibilities for a modern workflow.

What do you dislike?

I would expect QUARK to be more forward-going in communicating this approach to the broad community of designers/producers/managers in the publishing industry as i can see a tremendous potential to do different than current products that strangle users' options through their de facto monopoly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

QXP has disappeared from the consideration of many in design-eduction and industry. I strongly hope that QUARK engages at the source - with Design-/Media-/Publishing Education and Training for renewed recognition and attention. Communicating the benefits of the QXP engine will be difficult if the packaging is still a reminder of the past - This is a NEW product and it deserves to be recognized as such.

We have done live data driven publishing with QXP for many years - the product's new DOM structure and adherence to css/javascript standards will make the integration of assets cross media much easier. still at an early stage, but we can foresee exciting new schemes for the development, production, and management of publications.

Diseñador gráfico
Graphic Design

"Muy buen programa de maquetacion y composicion"

What do you like best?

Es un gran programa, muy versatil y fácil de usar, intuitivo y accesible a los que se sumergen por primera vez en él. La posibilidad de tener varias maquetaciones en un solo proyecto es un gran punto a su favor, ya que a veces es necesario hacer pequeñas variaciones o dividir un proyecto en varios apartados y tener que crear otro archivo diferente sería un lío.

What do you dislike?

Le faltan algunas opciones que a mi personalmente me vendrían muy bien, como por ejemplo poder cambiar el color del trazo de una tipografía y mantener el color del cuerpo, no simplemente dejar el cuerpo en blanco como actualmente. En cuanto a las páginas maestras se podría mejorar un poco más, añadiendo distintas opciones, tales como combinar o separar conjuntos de páginas. A las tablas también les vendría bien una revisión. Y para mí sería fundamental añadir una opción de numeradora, que pudiera marcarte en correlativamente distintas numeraciones o campos de bases de datos en páginas sucesivas, algo similar a la creacion de correspondencia en Word

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Es muy buen programa, capaz de gestionar múltiples maquetaciones en un mismo proyecto,

Es mi programa de cabecera en cuanto a edición, maquetación y composición de libros, revistas, etc...

Managing Director

"Discovering Quark Xpress 2018"

What do you like best?

Discovering Quark Xpress 2018 has been like opening a beautiful Pandora’s Box of hidden treasures. Transformative and revelatory in equal measure. Thank you Quark.

Kind regards, Mike Lethby

What do you dislike?

The (now long forgotten) years of Quark losing its former No 1 position to competitors. But now it's back, it's beautiful and it's intuitively refreshing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Forget the old clichés about Quark being slow at responding to design trends. It may have been true once, but the company shows a refreshing attitude these days that is re-orienting its market leadership.

A seamless integration of multi-platform media, with the power of content automation, that allows much more advanced and logical solutions to a host of design problems. The benefits come in terms of time saved, and thoughts focused, for everyone on a team with responsibility for the productivity and effectiveness of the chosen route/s of communication.

Designer

"Simple and fast functions that go directly to your design."

What do you like best?

QuarkXPress offers many options for design, work with text and images. I love having everything in one place. Change the size of the pages when necessary, the gradations, the HTML options are excellent. Quark is an excellent way to put together the pages of newspapers. It is easy to design sharp and award-winning pages. There are so many useful functions that help the creator of the pages, and it is a quick program once you learn all the nuances. I like the pretty simple interface and the ease of use after getting acquainted with some tutorials and practical design projects. I love that QuarkXPulse does what I need and does it well.

What do you dislike?

I think the latest Adobe integrations can be annoying and, for my purposes, not so useful. Character of complete levels of transparency and does not have photo stratification capabilities, such as opacities and layer modes. It also includes a menu of information sources, so you can not see the style of the font that is used up to what has been selected at this time. Quark is also a bit unstable at times. Prone to accidents.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

QuarkXPress is a great product, its work is recommended in the creative field. It can be used for printing and digital design. QuarkXPress is an easy-to-use interface with a variety of tools and options that allow users to create designs, as well as a wide variety of platforms. You have total control over the elements of the design and can incorporate many different elements. With its simple conversion and import, you can work on a variety of file types and incorporate many elements in one piece.

He is using Quark for a long time and I am very used to this software. I have tried other softwares, but for me they just do not have the same feeling or great function that Quark has, and after a few hours of experimentation, I thought we should continue using and going back to what I know. QuarkXPress has all the features we need to do our projects, but some of the limitations of QuarkXPress negatively affected the final product, however, with some tutorials we have achieved the result we wanted.

"Quark is simply the best solution for powerful layout and publishing"

What do you like best?

Since the 1980s, I have liked the Quark interface and "box" approach to layout.

What do you dislike?

I think the Measurements palette works well, but could still be improved, with more options for control.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are so many reasons to choose Quark, but I would reference license ownership (no annual "rental" fee), the best typographic controls in the business, an intuitive, common-sense approach to tools and usability, convert items to native objects, strong illustration and image manipulation tools, and a solid, reliable, out-of-the-box software package that simply works, and works well.

I have used QuarkXPress to design and publish a 40-page commercial magazine for 16 years. I can't imagine using any other tool to do the job. Before that, I have used Quark all my layout projects since 1989.

Digital designer and marketer

"Helpful"

What do you like best?

When it comes to Quark we use it to create and update programs and ancient files from years ago. We have an older version that still holds up to newer programs like Indesign. I would say Quark is resilient through the ages and has great features like character styles, linking text boxes with chains, master pages etc. It works well in creating PDF booklets and has a simpler interface that is easier to learn the basics.

What do you dislike?

While it does have an easier interface which is great, It really primarily in my eyes is more for text. I wouldn't design a magazine cover or Ad on Quark like I could on Indesign. The way it renders eps / pdf images are subpar and clunky.

We can go into our archives and still edit and re-new old files with Quark, so it has saved us so many hours in the factor that we don't have to recreate our old files into new ones on Indesign etc.

Marketing Project Manager
Hospital & Health Care

"Just What I Need"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use that I have with Quark XPress. I can use it to create small or large projects and I have the flexibility and design control that I need. I've used the product for many years and the upgrades just keep making it better.

What do you dislike?

There are features that I would love to use if I understood them better. Easy-to-follow tutorials would help solve this problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to explore everything the program has to offer. Then explore it for yourself. It may take a little time to get comfortable, but once you know the basics it is a breeze to use.

I use Quark XPress to design print and social media ads, brochures, booklets, etc. When my freelance graphic designer is not available, I can use Quark XPress for smaller jobs and save money on design fees.

Director

"QuarkXpress is still King of the layout software options"

What do you like best?

Typography has always been easier to control in Quarkxpress. Also being able to import pdfs and vectors and editing them within Quark is a massive timesaver. I find I'm not jumping back and forth from Quark to Illustrator since the introduction of editing vectors within Quark, it's a massive timesaver. I generally find it more intuitive than Indesign (I also have to use Indesign as some of our bigger clients insist) and it's all round general performance is better and faster than Indesign. I personally wouldn't use anything else if I wasn't made to.

What do you dislike?

The updater kicking you out of whatever app you are working in. The lack of background outputting/printing. I think that tables could still be improved and setting application default preferences has taken a big step backward for objects and type boxes although I can see why they have done what they have. Just need to be able to set runaround preferences in the default preferences pane. These are all small niggles though and general performance is greatly improved over previous versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Sign up to the Facebook group for insider tips and help when support has run out.

We personally find it speeds up our workflow compared to doing the same jobs in Indesign. We design all of our clients printed material in QuarkXpress unless told otherwise. We're are currently learning the digital side of Quarkxpress.

Creative Director
Design

"Quark Xpress, the good, the bad...."

What do you like best?

Robust desktop publishing software, leader in the industry, great fun to use. Got the job done. Used it from version 4 through 10, 15 years. Nice typography control to create really nice branded experiences. It was fast to start up and get going, once it was through crashing.

What do you dislike?

Need to purchase a lot of 3rd party plugins to get it to do anything. There were some horrible years of crashing and instability, causing stress on whether client files will become corrupt. Quark was also terrible with customer support, it was like calling the police. They did not seem to listen or love the customer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hate to say this but our agency was vested in Quark, we still own 2 programs, but at some point we migrated to Indesign, probably because of integration and use of all other Adobe products.

Huge multi page newsletters. Output to press. Indexing, posters, business cards, ads, it could handle multiple items and products. It was the main program for the office, every project was done in QuarkXpress.

Response from Matthias Gilke of Quark

Hello Evan,

thanks for your review. You write about the past bad experience with support and customer service I guess this is now 5-10 years ago or so.

In the past 4 years we have built up and listened to our customers not only in regards to service but also the product evolved a lot. So maybe it is worth a try and give us another chance.

Check out the latest version QuarkXPress 2018 (no subscription - free trial available) or if you have questions give us a call during regular office hours: http://www.quark.com/Buy/QuarkXPress_Sales/Customer_Service/

Kind Regards,

Small Business Development Coordinator
Government Relations

"Desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

I've used Quark XPress since the 1990s when I worked for our local newspaper. Since leaving the newspaper 11 years ago, I always make sure that my employer allows me to purchase a copy of Quark as I'm very familiar with the product and can design and produce a wide array of marketing/promotional materials.

What do you dislike?

As Quark has evolved over the years, I have not, so I don't use many of the new features. Some are hard to use or difficult to understand. If you've never used Quark, it could feel a little intimidating but the learning curve to produce basic things isn't bad. I'd love to dig into the program and learn how to use more of its features, but I just don't have time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I like Quark XPress because I've been using it for many years, and it has always served my purpose. I know the shortcuts and features of the program, and it helps me produce and publish quality documents and materials. Some of the features are a little difficult to use, but for the most part, Quark is my go-to program. Also, if you're a non-profit agency, you can get a big discount on the price.

Quark helps me design flyers, create promotional materials, and even works as a word processor. You can easily convert documents to PDF or EPS. And many of the features of the program can't be found in other desktop publishing software. It's my go-to program when I need to design, edit, or convert a file.

Senior Graphic Designer

"Learning experience"

What do you like best?

Working with Quark has its pros and cons, for the pros I would boil it down to it's text-link/wrapping, which is always great. Along with the master pages which are a dream come true when you have a book you are compiling of over 200 pages. And also the other seemingly simple pros like character styles, paragraph styles, which really keep everything cohesive. It saves time by having these.

What do you dislike?

There are limiting things to Quark such as not having all the features many other programs such as itself has, being a relatively stand alone program can make it very incompatible when it comes to it's files. So interchanging without changing the file type too much makes for future complications. Also the price point makes it very unflattering.

Able to create extensive booklets to sell.

Principal
Graphic Design

"I love everything about this program."

What do you like best?

It is very intuitive and easy to work with. Also, Quark constantly upgrades and brings new features. Some of them very innovative.

What do you dislike?

I wish they have more tutorials available but since they have a super friendly tech. support and their online community always ready to help this makes up a lot for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those who start with publishing (print and digital) and need a solid program that delivers but want to avoid monthly fees, it's the best option on the market now.

We use Quark in our studio for all the marketing needs of our clients. We produce both, their print and digital materials with it. They especially appreciate the export to HTML when producing interactive publications.

President

"Quark XPress, time honoured publishing program."

What do you like best?

I've been using it since 1981 and like it's ease of use and find that it handles everything I need to create anything, from single page invoices to books to magazines etc. It works seamlessly with making postscript files for pdfs compatible with high quality pre press

What do you dislike?

I have been using Quark XPress since 1981 and have no real complaints about it. It just keeps getting better with each new release

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend. Buying this program actually gives you the program, not just a rental.

I publish magazines and find that Quark XPress makes everything easy, from kerning to stylesheets and key command short cuts. Quark works seamlessly with other graphic programs I use as well.

"Quark 2018 a homerun"

What do you like best?

On my 4-year-old iMac, Quark is fast, incredibly stable, and nearly flawless. There are those who are determined to point out what Quark doesn't do (yet), rather than how well it does on its strengths. The Facebook page is frequented by engineers and tech as well as power users, so answered to problems are minutes away in most cases. In-app image adjustment, content variables, new pallet interface, are just a few of the features that I like.

What do you dislike?

I'm having trouble finding something that I don't like. Everyone has a list of what features they want, and I have mine, but they are all minor things, and quite frankly, I can't just ding them for not catering to my specific desires. I'm afraid of writing such a glowing review, but I really can't think of anything that I actively dislike. Is that a bad thing?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The list of things that Quark does not do is getting shorter and shorter. Each year it is implementing new ideas and building on the solid foundation. Use what you like, but make sure that when people try to sway you with recommendations that they are not using a 5-year-old version of Quark to make the comparison. The efficiency is just so high with this product. Any remnants of the dark days of the mid to late 2000s is gone. With the responsiveness of the Quark team, getting help is really easy, especially through the Facebook group. Power-users hang out there all the time and are good at lending a helping hand when needed as well as coming up with solutions for perplexing problems.

Time. The last two versions have introduced features that streamline what I do. I have old ways of doing things, but with the power that has recently been introduced, I'm restructuring how I work; and now I work faster and easier.

Art Director
Entertainment

"Coming Home to QuarkXpress"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that my main tool for creation of layouts doesn't teather me to a never ending subscription.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I didn't come back to QuarkXpress sooner.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't take anyone's word for it or mine. I read reviews, I asked opinions, read forums, etc. A lot of the noise was surprise that QuarkXpress was still around. I downloaded the trial version (30 days) and went about putting it through my paces. When the 30 days were up, I asked for an extension and they happily provided me with another 2 weeks (part of my experience was needing to refamiliarize myself with the program, where everything was, shortcuts, etc. and THEN working on projects so the extension gave me more time to get in a workflow groove). I've also been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for about 2 years so I'm pretty much out of the Adobe world. You can export the proper file formats from Affinity programs for use in QuarkXpress. I also converted many of my recurring projects and templates from InDesign, either by exporting the InDesign files as as XML or PDF and importing them into QuarkXpress (you can import the PDF and convert them to native objects-in my experience the conversion is usually 85 to 95% true to the original and that beats having to rebuild everything from the ground up). I've only started to dig into QuarkXpress's full potential (Ebooks, HTML5, etc.). Pretty cool image editing tools as well.

My business relies on a robust Page Layout program and QuarkXpress is that program. Aside from a slight re-learning curve and letting go of the former workflow from years of using InDesign, Xpress seems far more intuitive than Adobe products. The benefits are many and they include the fantastic customer support and forum's where you're treated like a professional and not bombarded with snarky retorts or admonitions that any other way than that of Adobe is foolish.

(Myself Only)

"QUARKXPRESS THE BEST"

What do you like best?

Quarkxpress est un logiciel vraiment puissant, efficace et qui a su évoluer avec les différentes versions notamment avec le multi media. Ce que j'apprécie : l'évolution tout en retrouvant son interface, son environnement de travail. Etant surtout print, il m'a facilité mon travail surtout dans la gestion des visuels. Bravo pour l'intégration des polices couleurs, les possibilités graphiques et de mise en forme facilitées comme “ombrage de texte”, la gestion de la couleur. Les PDF sont de grandes qualités, professionnels et la facilité pour réaliser les annonces multi media. C'est un logiciel stable. C'est un logiciel qui n'est pas sur abonnement et qui vous appartient contrairement à Adobe, très important pour moi.

What do you dislike?

Manque de vidéo tuto sur les innovations (en français). Les procédures de mises à jour pas toujours simples.

Je suis créatif et je réalise donc des supports de communications pour des sociétés ou structures institutionnelles. L'avantage de QuarkXpress pour moi : un environnement connu, une facilité et rapidité de réalisation, la gestion d'annonce multi-media, la gestion de visuels plus grande sans passer par le logiciel d'origine, les possibilités typographiques

UD

"The new QuarkXpress 2018"

What do you like best?

I personally decided to give QuarkXpress a new try back with version 8. Primarily because they offered me a good deal with my old and abandoned version 3. I saw some interesting new development there, but it was a cumbersome version. So I sticked with Adobe InDesign. Also with Version 9 and also 10. But with version 10 Quark began to do the right things. They concentrated more on digital functions and improved speed and reliability. Then the new features for app-prototyping and development came up an for me Quark has some real benefits over InDesign. It's not so overcrowded with windows and palettes which do not refer to the things on the screen. The digital export options just work as expected. No surprising effects after export.

Apps are simple to make and test easily on your mobile device. But they are limited to HTML5 based apps.

Alongside with the app-features the direct export to HTML5 is also really handy now. It also supports responsive web-design, which may be a challenge for traditional print people. Surprisingly QuarkXpress also provides a full set of vector tools. I tried to create a very complex logo with 3D like appearance and it came really fine. It is not to be compared to illustrator then it comes to photorealistic vector art, but for flat design and even some three-dimensional effects it works good. Quark now also handles images in a way that makes it more and more independent from Photoshop for easy tasks as blurring, color correction and things like that. It also handles psd-files with layers better than Indesign does.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I really dislike is the fact that some of the functions are hidden in strange menu-structures or even in functions you would never expect they are related with your problem. You will find a solution for everything, but at least at first time it takes time to find out how. This is also true for experienced QuarkXPress users if they do some tasks rarely. I would like to see more consequent features like a retouch-tool for images, which would make an external app like Photoshop or Affinity Photo unneccessary for simple operations in the layout process. And I would like to see much more intuitive use of things like drop shadows. Drop shadows are a good sample for the power of QuarkXpress combined with the talent of not telling that the power is there. Drop shadows could be used to do nearly everything you can do with layer-sties in InDesign, but you have to figure out how.

I do all my print-work in QuarkXPress because of it's speed and reliability. And we do all our app-prototyping in QuarkXPress. We simulate more complex functions with the help of video and animation. This is ideal to tell the app-devolpers how we want the app to work. I'm excited by the new scripting possibilities even if we didn't use them in production actually.

Program Director

"Querky "

What do you like best?

This program can get very precise. Measurements can be exact and the dialog box for PDF output selection is also detailed. Packaging work and pulling linked files and fonts into one location is easy.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program will freeze or shut down. A "Recovered Files" folder will then appear on your desktop that may or may not have your latest files. You are also limited in the types of files you can import into a Quark document.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to set the auto saving mode to ON so that you can keep your most recent files in case the program crashes. This is a powerful layout program and you can get very precise and achieve accurate printing results when tricky folds and perforations are part of the design.

Style sheets and layers are your friends!

Brochure and booklet design. Multiple pages and style guides are a breeze.

It is an excellent tool to manage different projects in a practical and diverse way.

" It is a good option that gives you practical functions to carry out effective control of designs"

What do you like best?

It is an essential and useful tool to create design in a free and very useful and practical way. I love your technical support because it is fast and very useful

What do you dislike?

some new features that have come with the updates can be tedious and complex to manage, that has been my main drawback with this tool

It is a good option to create different designs in a very practical and useful way of managing, thus achieving a greater and broader scope at a business level.

Graphik

"Smart Tool"

What do you like best?

Typographic Possibilities and Wording like i learned as Typesetter in Mid-70es; Convert a Document in different multiple Channels like PDF, HTML, ePub, Page-Sizes; Listening to Consumers on Forum and special on Facebook (the only Reason to use Facebook is this Group where you get Information by Others and also Quark without Flame-Wars) and over the last Years a strong Product-Cycle of Enhancements starting with XPress 2015. Combination of different Sheets like Font-. Paragraph-Stylesheets. Automatic Functions like Conditional Styles to make non experienced Users ready to Layout simple Products like a 4-Page Newsletter.

What do you dislike?

Missing some Typographic Possibilities like define a Drop Caps-Font in Paragraph (remember Ventura?); append in Conditional Style a Sign like "at the End of Story append <". Features like "Job Jackets" or "Composition Zones" are complex, so i'm missing Videos about how to use and in which Situation its a smart Solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Proof your Tool, whatever you now use.

I used XPress for Years from Flyer to Book, from Newspaper to Magazine. Testing ePub and now HTML. Also tested other Layout-Tools but stay because i don't see a real Benefit using one of other Layout-Tools.

"QXP2016 - Definitely the most reliable layout software"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the reliability how the software works, definitely makes me enjoy working on it. I do every little thing that needs to be designed on it. From business cards to letterheads, leaflets to magazines, books to ebooks, printed banners to online banners. In t