Onshape Reviews & Product Details

What is Onshape?

Onshape is a modern CAD system that eliminates design gridlock: the constant waiting, distractions, and hassles that prevent engineers from doing their best work. Onshape unites advanced modeling tools and design data management in a secure cloud workspace that is accessible on any device and never loses data. With no files to lose or corrupt, no license keys to manage, and no installed desktop software, Onshape helps engineering teams get out of the IT business so they can get back in the innovation business. Professional engineers at thousands of companies rely on Onshape to modernize and streamline their engineering process. Onshape users in 170+ countries have logged over 6 million hours modeling advanced robotics, biomedical devices, industrial machinery, and myriad other products. With 1 of 8 sessions occurring on mobile devices, Onshape is the world’s first anywhere, anytime CAD system. Founded in 2012, Onshape has raised $169 million from Andreessen Horowitz, NEA, North Bridge, and other leading investors. The Onshape leadership team includes the original creators of SOLIDWORKS® and other proven leaders in cloud infrastructure, data security, and mobile.

Onshape Screenshots

1-25 of 275 total Onshape reviews

Onshape Reviews

1-25 of 275 total Onshape reviews
Director of Operations

"The future of product design is here."

What do you like best?

I love how Onshape has designed their system to take advantage of technology. They have made the design process more efficient through a sleek user interface that works well on desktop computers and mobile devices. We have also experienced helpful support, and they are often releasing new features with enhanced capability. This is what modern CAD should look like.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I dislike about Onshape. In the beginning there were some features that I missed because I have significant experience with other CAD packages, however through regular updates to the Onshape software many of the updates have now been added.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give Onshape a try. They have a great free trial period where you can see if it works for you and your organization. They have a great support staff that will help you if you have any questions along the way.

This has helped us release designs more effectively and efficiently. It has also been incredibly advantageous to store other aspects of product data within the software, uniting all the necessary information in one location. We have also delighted our customers with live demos where they have appreciated seeing the designs come to life.

Owner and Principle Consultant
(Myself Only)

"Best parametric CAD software out there. "

What do you like best?

I have been using parametric CAD software for 15 years. Most of that time has been spent with SolidWorks but I have also used Autodesk Inventor, Fusion 360, and others. While I admit that it took me a month or two to get my head wrapped around the modeling philosophy of Onshape, once I did it was much faster and easier to use than any other CAD software.

Some of my favorite features include multi-part files, how mating works in assemblies, the robust version control, detailed document histories, that it can run on my Mac (in the Chrome browser), the amazing mobile application for iOS, and the lower cost. I also very much appreciate the high speed at which the software is being developed. New features are coming out quick and bugs are addressed in days and weeks instead of years.

What do you dislike?

There are obvious limitations of being a 100% browser-based software. I have the ability to set up a hotspot with my phone while I travel and that allows me to continue modeling on the go but every now and then I find that I would like to work off-line.

I got started with Onshape while they offered a free version if your projects were public. While I became a paying customer before they changed this, I am sad that more people cant get easy access to the software. Specifically, makers and high school or homeschooling students.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are transitioning from SolidWorks, take the time to understand the modeling philosophy of Onshape. Multi-part documents, Mate connectors, and other features are different from Solidworks but very powerful once understood.

In the beginning, the lower cost of Onshape was one of the major factors for my business. But now that I am a little more established and have access to SolidWorks, I still choose to use Onshape for all of the projects that I can. I found that I was faster at building models and assemblies in Onshape after only 6 months than I had ever been in SolidWorks after 15 years.

Engineering and Maintenance Manager

"Onshape changed our design philosophy"

What do you like best?

The web based design. I can get to it anywhere, and I do not have any overheads with software downloads to our computers. (In a high IT security environment, this can be cumbersome). I am also always running the latest revision of the software, no downloads or up-sells for newer revisions.

What do you dislike?

Onshape does what I want. Some of my team would like a McMaster Carr interface, as hardware should be easy to get to.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I tried it for free, it had all the functionality of the paid subscription so I recommend you do the same. If you do not see what you want with the as-built process, there is an app for that in the embedded app store so no worries. Pick a design, pick a 3D Printing process and get to work, do not be afraid of failure.

"When you fail, fail cheaply"... Onshape works well with 3D printing, and ease of use. It is the easiest platform I have ever learned. We designed and built an entirely new tape and bind solution that has no peer and we did it in house with Onshape. The concept to failure to success cycle was minimized.

Director of Bioengineering

"Amazing CAD experience"

What do you like best?

The way OnShape handles revisions/versions and project sharing across a team is amazing - light years ahead of SolidWorks PDM. Also, having all the parts and assemblies together in one document makes a huge difference in usability. After using OnShape, going back to SolidWorks to work on legacy files feels jarring, especially when I have to deal with SolidWorks PDM, which is horrible.

What do you dislike?

That it doesn't come with simple simulation capabilities, like SW does.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We love it, but keep in mind that moving legacy data from another CAD system will be painful. We decided to leave all legacy data in SolidWorks and use OnSHape for new projects only.

We design and build machines. OnShape allows my team to be more productive and reduces errors and confusion. Making sure that everybody always has the right version of a document when they need it is a non-issue with OnShape - while it's painful with SolidWorks PDM.

Product Development Team Member

"Great CAD for small to medium manufacturing company"

What do you like best?

OnShape has modeling tools that are comparable to (and in some cases exceed) the capability and ease of use of other CAD systems running the Parasolid kernel. Where it shines, however, is in the data structure. OnShape lets you branch and merge CAD data like programmers do with code.

What do you dislike?

The 'managed' release management workflow is a little too rigid for my tastes. Fortunately the versioning and merge tools with manual REV control work very well for that purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Rethink your modeling workflow to take advantage of versions, branching, and merging. USE PART PROPERTIES and reference them in your drawings to save time re-entering data into your sheets (right click on the part at the bottom of the feature tree to create a drawing of the part itself, rather than of the part studio). Change the state of parts and drawings in versions to indicate whether they are released or obsolete.

OnShape handles Revision control while still keeping legacy copies of data easily accessible (and restoreable). CAD backups are handled on the back end, so no more daily downtime when the backup is running.

Also, we have two different 'CAD Jockeys' working on the same models. OnShape makes modeling collaboration so simple we forget that it is any different than working alone (as compared to the convoluted check-in-check-out/handoff/sneakernet we used before).

Owner

"CAD Done Right"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Onshape is their approach to content creation. It is a tool designed to capture design intent. I came from a SolidWorks background which I really enjoyed using, but when I started contracting my work I needed a CAD solution that was a better fit for a one man operation. I started my trial trying to use it like Solidworks and quickly found that Onshape had a different approach. After I finished the beginner tutorials I quickly realized what they had done to the design process. After I used it as intended I saw the light and really liked they way they create content compared to how I used to do it in Solidworks and other programs.

Configurations are done exactly as they should be both on the part level and assembly level. No endless tables of permutations, just the things you want to change.

Another huge plus is the PDM system in Onshape is absolutely amazing and simple to use. Since it operates in the cloud there is no server maintenance, server connectivity issues, or install issues.

Onshape has also shown me how awesome it is to never have to save. All changes are documented and having the ability to version and go back in time to what was done is something that nobody else does.

What do you dislike?

Since Onshape is always releasing updates every ~3 weeks it is always improving. That being said the dislike pile gets shorter with time, but until the issues are addressed we make do until those requests get answered. I have documented my complaints with Onshape and they are all improvement requests at this time. My biggest dislike is that the drawings in Onshape are a little behind the rest of the offerings I feel.

Chamfers have to be manually entered, which breaks the parametric relationship if you change the chamfer size.

Broken views are broken. Once you break a view it no longer aligns to the related view. Annoying but usable. Section views also cannot be broken, so if it doesn't fit on the page then you have to shrink it or make a bigger drawing.

There isn't a devoted weldment tool, however there is a feature script that works pretty good, but it can be cumbersome if you are generating new profiles and can turn into trouble shooting code in the script if you make a mistake. A devoted weldment tool with the Onshape touch would be great when they get to it.

A center of mass icon for assemblies and parts is really important for a lot of designs. It seems like CM it is already in Onshape but isn't able to be used for design purposes.

Section properties would be very useful but as of now do not exist.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like any program it is a tool, and if you want to get the full capabilities of this program everyone using it should go through all the training and practice creating content. If you teach yourself how then you will see many benefits.

Storage of content is not an issue anymore. I don't have to carry around my customers data and hope it doesn't get lost or damaged.

Sharing content is super easy now and customers really like that they can view their content from a link and export if needed. They do not need a seperate tool installed just to view the files.

Release management in Onshape has really helped with the design flow with my customers.

Engineering Supervisor

"Engineering Shop Support"

What do you like best?

Once parts were designed and drawin the shop would still ask questions on the dimensions that they wanted. Once we trained a few of them how to use the light user measure tool 99% of the daily quick questions stopped! The shop personal also loved being empowered to be part of reviews and "follow me" mode when there was a touch question or issue.

What do you dislike?

Double edged sword: I love that you can request a change and the program is frequently updated, but some of the "low hanging fruit" for requested changes do not always get implemented right away. This to me is more "first world problem" as there has never been a direct link to submit feedback to the development team before.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try and get familiar with the PDM and version management. Our tipping point between CAD solutions was based on asking, " What CAD functionality do I really need and what functions can I get by without." The heavier weight on distribution and PDM with all the required CAD features lead us to OnShape. Granted the CAD side is not as well developed as competitors, but they are younger, faster at developing, and creating a better implementation of every feature when they do implement it.

Mass distrubution to external parties of both CAD and non-CAD users. Also the revision control and distribution of designs.

Powertrain Engineer

"Modern, powerful, intuitive and PLM built-in!"

What do you like best?

The innovation that I most appreciate is ability to work simultaneously on documents. This means, there is no more "write access" or "check-in/check-out" to manage. This feature alone changed the whole way we work: people work directly in the live CAD instead of making local copies, working on their own for a while (days, weeks?) and then merging back their work to the main CAD (with all the hassle & surprise that this process represent). The CAD is always up-to-date!

What do you dislike?

I'd say that routing has to be improved. To depend on internet for CAD is somewhat of a downside.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best advice I can give you is to dedicate someone in your company to test Onshape full-time and share his experience with the other CAD users. You'll be amazed.

CAD management is much better that before (revisions, up-to-date issues, sharing with collegues/suppliers, etc.). People can now work from the floor plant, form their home or at a supplier's office. Also, we see a reduction in cost (laptops VS CAD PCs, no PDM servers to implement, etc.).

Mechanical Engineer
(Myself Only)

"Will not go back to traditional CAD"

What do you like best?

Low hardware cost to run the software. Great collaboration tool. It features a good set of design tools. I am able to run Onshape from just about any device and from any location with an internet connection.

What do you dislike?

Still lacks some features of old more established CAD tools. Revision management still needs to be fine tuned a little more.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it and be open minded about cloud storage.

The biggest problem we are solving is cost savings. Cheaper hardware cost to run Onshape, No server needed for storage or backups, Cheaper software cost versus previous CAD software.

Being a small company and needing other to collaborate occasionally is incredibly easy in this software. Finally, being able to sit down anyplace and work has been a great time saver. No lugging a workstation class laptop back and forth. Pull out a thin Chromebook or a phone and go to work.

Founder
Machinery

"10 year experience with different CAD software."

What do you like best?

Web based software u are always using latest version with newest functions. Integrating it to web sites and document linking, you can show in mobile the part to customer or send link for review. Also you can use great add-ons and paying only use.

What do you dislike?

Pricing about professional to small business owner like myself and co-founder. We paying two licenses annually. Usage is mostly with only one account. And sometimes importing DXFs is hard, because space is not enough, but problem is not with Onshape, problem is with original DXF-file.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test it first and and the Onshape will speak by itself, easy to use and getting better and better after every release. You like it or not. Only problem comes in situation if you need 3D CAD offline.

We can do better modelling and fast with Onshape, even our parts are mostly simple. Also it gives us more possibilities for the future. Because we are more in innovative business.

Director Of Product Design
(Myself Only)

"ONSHAPE: Designed for Cloud Collaboration"

What do you like best?

Onshape is highly integrated with the cloud and the opportunities for real design collaboration. It makes it possible for small teams to do big things. It eliminates the admin overhead that burden many deign teams. It is ground-up designed thus it does not have legacy issues hindering it.

What do you dislike?

I can't say there's anything I dislike. What I do find challenging is my own and my team's need to make the paradigm shift from the workflows we're used to in legacy file-based systems to Onshape's fundamentally difference approach.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start slowly and incrementally. Understand how Onshape can interface with other solftware.

Real-time collaboration at an affordable price. I see a big benefit of credibility building with customers who we can allow a window into the current progress of their projects. Also, I can quickly scale my team to meet project demands using highly skill people from anywhere in the world.

Refractory Engineer
Mining & Metals

"Forward-thinking, intelligently-designed, and innovative; but with frustrating limitations"

What do you like best?

Onshape is very intelligently designed, by people who clearly have an understanding of how most people use CAD systems. The smartness of the features, the forward-thinking-ness of the system and its design philosophy, is a breath of fresh air in an environment frequently buried in very old mindsets. Designing and creating 3d models in Part Studios and Assemblies is a very satisfying, enjoyable, and powerful experience.

The Part Studios and their behavior especially are top-notch. The intelligent way the system understands sketches and how they can be used, the assumptions made by the default parameters of the different features, all clearly show an excellent understanding of the modern CAD user. The cloud-based design, using documents as project-level containers, with strong version control features and powerful features for connecting documents and relating living parts and projects to one another is astoundingly effective and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Considering how cleverly-made and forward-thinking the design of the 3d modeling parts of the system are, it's very disappointing to find that the 2d drawing creation suite is far behind the rest of the system. Laggy, lacking in important features present in competitor systems, and generally having a feeling of clunkiness and unfinishedness, trying to create 2d drawings from 3d models in Onshape is a pain.

For simple individual parts, it works fine. Some quality of life features are no present, like there being no easy way to align or clean up multiple dimensions, and having no way to import tables from an external file, which means that it can be hard to replicate your workflow if you are moving from AutoCAD 2D+Inventor or Creo Parametric to Onshape.

But trying to create professional-looking, fully featured, and clear General Assembly drawings of complex assemblies is extremely difficult. You have to do a lot of pre-planning and careful structuring in the 3d stage, possibly more than you would have to do in competitor systems, which is very disappointing as not having to do so much planning and pregaming was a specific selling point of Onshape as pitched to me before purchasing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your business is primarily about design in 3d and 3d presentations, I can 100% wholeheartedly recommend Onshape. Designing and modelling with Onshape's 3d features has been a very fun and satisfying experience, it's been my favorite 3d environment to work in.

The only situation for which I wouldn't recommend Onshape is a situation where you need 2d drawings of complex and/or irregular parts and assemblies. Simple or single parts are fine, if somewhat clunky, but Onshape might not be capable of meeting your needs if you need to have 2d drawings of a complex structure.

Onshape's cloud-based design meshes very well with my company's other cloud-based software solutions. Being able to be certain that the document I'm working with is up-to-date, being able to be certain that when I share a document with a customer or within my company I am always sharing the most up-to-date and accurate version, is a huge help. Previously, with AutoCAD and Creo Parametric, it was extremely common for my salesmen to come back to me months after a project and ask me questions about it, and I learn that they've been using and sharing an outdated version of a drawing for the entire time. Our company is expecting to grow soon and increase our number of CAD users working on the same projects, and I fully expect Onshape's powerful collaboration tools to make this a much easier process than it would be otherwise.

Project Manager
Construction

"Intuitive Workflow Bests Inundated Intricacies "

What do you like best?

Onshape has the capability of Solidworks (and beyond) while integrating a user experience that is as intuitive as using an iphone. Combined with a cloud based system; this creates a platform that is going to be extremely tough to beat by any competitor.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about Onshape. The only item that would qualify is the transition from a traditional file based system to a cloud based system. This transition is not easy, but as you become accustomed it quickly turns from a dislike to a "very much like this".

Onshape provides the opportunity to solve traditional file based issues. Redundant files, file sharing, multiple users, ease of access all improve. Plus, having the ability to source your own code within the program via feature script is huge. This opens up almost endless possibilities in what you can create within the program and how you can fine tune your workflow to your specific application within your business.

Managing Partner
Design

"Managing Partner"

What do you like best?

It was an easy transition from Solidworks. The cloud based approach gives flexibility and collaboration becomes far simpler. Onshape has allowed themselves to take a fresh approach to many modeling tasks.

What do you dislike?

Onshape is still young so its missing certain functionality. For our designs, the surface modeling tools still need improvement. We are also strong believers in "shown dimensions" being carried into drawings.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

give it a hard look. We cannot take advantage of some of what they do extremely well (integrated PDM functionality) that may make this a slam dunk for some companies. For us, the collaboration tools are the key improvement over Solidworks. They are improving the product at a rapid pace

At this point, the only hard benefit is that it is more cost effective than Solidworks. There are many soft benefits, like collaboration, that are much harder to quantify.

(Myself Only)

"Onshape - Caught me off guard"

What do you like best?

I have been using SolidWorks for over 10 years, and am amazed by how much better Onshape is in terms of what can be done in Part Studios and Assemblies. It breaks free of the limitations and frustration experienced when using SolidWorks.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot really. There are a few features that my legacy CAD system had that Onshape doesn't have yet, like 3D sketches, but this is to be expected in a young CAD system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take a 1 month trial and go through the online tutorials. The basics of Onshape are the same as most CAD systems, but the way Onshape does CAD is so much better once you get used to it. If you get stuck contact support, which in my opinion is second to none.

Main benefits come from the way part studios work and the ease at which assemblies can be set up and animated. The ability to do these things has allowed me to design bespoke manufacturing machines to realise and design out problems as they occur.

Chief Engineer
Biotechnology

"Essential and well implemented version control and collaboration "

What do you like best?

Good software with a decent tool set. Browser based so easy to use across all platforms. Cloud stored so very easy collaboration. Essential and well implemented version control - this is a must have if modern agile workflows are desired. Mating of parts in assemblies is amazing, doubt I could ever go back. Used to use Solidworks but the previous reasons made me choose to switch to Onshape for the beginning of our companies journey.

What do you dislike?

Online only means you have to have internet, this can be annoying. This also means my computer can't help out if things are being slow which with large assemblies and in context design they can be. Although no slower than Solidworks on a decent workstation. Integrations like FEA and CAM are great but they are almost all more subscriptions so cost is ridiculous if you only need it rarely. My personal gripe is that recently they have changed the terms and conditions so that with the free account you designs are public property. As an design engineer and a maker this means I can't use Onshape for my private use and so have to use a different CAD package outside work. If I had known this it would have seriously made me consider other options for my company.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Unfortunately Onshape is moving more to the professional market and leaving makers in the dust with price increases and terms and condition changes. This makes sense as they are following the money. If this bothers you as it does me then consider other options carefully. Regardless Onshape is an excellent CAD system and they are leading the way in CAD innovation. This is the future of CAD, I am certain.

Designing of machines for automation of microfluidics for life sciences

"The Future of Modeling is Here"

What do you like best?

Onshape provides outstanding support and is constantly improving and expanding capabilities. Capabilities were great when I started 18 months ago but much better now. The capabilities expand so fast there is always something new and better to learn about it!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes loading models bogs down and it is quite easy to build a model that will load very slowly. We need tips on making things streamlined. The new "time required" info in the drawing window is a huge step forward. I would also prefer if Onshape staff would put a day or so into creating a better library of profiles for the "Beams" script. This would save me a bunch of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get started! you will love it.

We constantly design new separation and processing equipment and systems. We couldn't work without Onshape. The ability to pull up earlier versions takes all the fear out of changing important drawings. It is so easy to build 2D drawings for part manufacture.

"Web based, clean sheet well thought out Cad software. "

What do you like best?

Unfortunately I do not use Onshape on a daily basis and have no time to drill into new released features. In the past I was a heavy SW user. Here are some of the features I like most. I like the web based concept no need for a special Cad specified PC. The sharing capability works very well. The subscription price as of now is reasonable for what you get. There is no need for software updates which caused sometimes havoc in SW. Well thought out releases of new features are rolled out on a regular basis. You listen to your customers.

What do you dislike?

No internet no CAD. Have not worked with really large assembly yet but I can imagine that "lag" may be an issue. Thinks take time, it would be great if well integrated CAM packages were available (Camworks?).

I have no problem paying for goods and services however subscription based software can become convoluted (terms & conditions) and costly.

We design products and molds for themoforming. We were able to share designs in an efficient manner.

"The future of intuitive design"

What do you like best?

Community centered development. Incredible customer service. The ability to work from a desktop and then walk out to a facility and take measurements and input them on my phone and then head back to my desk and continue where I left off. Very intuitive UI, no fishing through tons of menus and drop downs to get at the function I need. No saving! The power can go out in the middle of modeling and I never have to worry that anything has been lost.

What do you dislike?

No ITAR compliant servers. I'm sure this hurdle has lots of moving parts but it really is the only thing holding my company back from being able to further implement Onshape.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just get it. Will work great on the worst computer you have. No more relying on expensive high powered workstations. Work on the same model/drawing from the office, home, the bathroom, anywhere without multiple installs and remembering to bring a USB drive with you everywhere. Always have the most current version without being charged for upgrades.

Huge time saver with how much faster I can intuitively model a specific part. Great to walk into a meeting room, login to Onshape and pull up and go over models on an overhead projector instead of bringing prints or USB drives.

Innovation Manager
Design

"Future-proof"

What do you like best?

+ very easy to share access with my sales colleagues so they can show early designs with potential buyers

+ very easy to work from any workstation, anywhere

+ automatic updates, no download time

+excellent helpdesk that come with solutions and even improve the system based on users' input

What do you dislike?

- I still have to get used a bit to the different approach of mating in assemblies, but I am getting there

- the absence of a basic render machine, it should be included in stead of searching and trying plug-ins

- I would very much like to be able to change the perspective when using the perspective view

Recommendations to others considering the product:

do not fear to work online, if you have a proper internet connection and a proper workstation, you will be fine!

+ better cooperation possibilities between colleagues and other companies

+ the possibility to show a design on the app helps our sales colleagues to involve buyers in an early stage

Design Engineer
Environmental Services

"Moving to the next stage with Onshape"

What do you like best?

Access to up to date software on any platform including mobile. Ability to share design easily with colleagues anywhere. Rapidly improving software based on user feedback. Constraints system built around simulation not an add on.

What do you dislike?

Drawings package still maturing. Mobile lags behind desktop in a number of key areas particularly with lack of 2d drawings. I think also the iPad and Apple Pencil offer an opportunity to rethink the way 3d design can be done. At the moment it basically mimics the desktop workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Although lacking in some features present in more mature products it has sufficient functionality to operate as primary system. Minor learning curve from other parametric packages so minimal drop in productivity.

With Onshape I am able to give clients instant access to the latest model and drawings. They can see in real time how a job is progressing and give feedback immediately if it is required. Saving time and wasted work. Easy to do presentations using a mobile device. Access to all design information in one place including design calculations.

Mechanical Engineering Intern
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Best design experience available"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to access my files anywhere in the world, on any device connected to the internet. Also, the ability to give access or revoke access from specific files is very powerful. Customers love being able to look at files I am working on for them just by following the link generated by Onshape.

What do you dislike?

Onshape isn't quite as powerful as Solidworks in some areas but I think that will change soon. Also, those more powerful features are almost never used by me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A quality internet connection is a must. Cost is also a factor. Onshape is cheaper with regards to the license and also the hardware requirements.

Onshape allows my company to invest money in better ways that is otherwise spent on expensive hardware needed to run computer-based systems. Cloud-based CAD also allows us to design out on the floor on any laptop or even phones or tablets. Customers are amazed when I pull out my phone to show them the full CAD file of their project in the middle of a meeting.

Engineer/Project Manager
Construction

"Continued development and stellar support make Onshape a progressively more powerful mfg. tool."

What do you like best?

Collaborative design, integrated PDM and PLM, a robust set of modeling tools, and the endless potential unlocked by FeatureScript - what's not to love? The flexibility of Onshape allows us to centralize and more clearly define our product as we move away from 2D cad and towards model-based enterprise for manufacturing.

On modeling - Although initially skeptical of the seemingly small number of design tools available, an hour or two spent in the interface was enough to see that the functionality packed into each tool is often more capable and more intuitive than in similar cad software.

On the cloud - It's refreshing to design in an environment where documents integrate seamlessly without concern of missing files or broken links, where we have the freedom freedom to reorganize our folder structure as needs change without worry. The ability to connect from anywhere on almost any device allows us to work more collaboratively at every step in the design and manufacturing process.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps because there's such a push on the side of 3D design and model-based definition, the 2D drawings have been slow to catch up to the functionality of comparable software. Without the option for annotated 3D models, we will likely still need to rely on 2D drawings for communication of technical information to our shop. Recent updates have brought some improvements to the interface, but it might be difficult to make full use of drawings until the user has better control over the interpretation of part or assembly models to drawing views.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If it doesn't meet your needs today, check back in 3 weeks.

New functionality is ALWAYS being added, and the entire Onshape support team is excellent at addressing concerns and guiding users to solutions.

It might not be exactly what you're used to, but the platform is opening doors to new ways of design and manufacturing that are worth exploring.

From project layouts to custom cut lists, FeatureScript has enabled us to simplify and/or automate many tedious and error-prone tasks, expediting the process of defining and executing a manufacturing project.

Principal Owner
Oil & Energy

"Incredible features and value in the Cloud!"

What do you like best?

I love the stability and performance of using a CAD program in the cloud not requiring a local supercomputer to do large models. The featureset of this CAD program is comparable in my experience to competing local install platforms. The user interface is intuitive and the help documentation is thorough enough to get even an experience user out of a difficult modelling situations.

What do you dislike?

A few features at the assembly level (assembly configurations) and on drawings (editing templates) are yet to be implemented. The standards-based library features such as fasteners have room for improvement and standard material shapes in steel and aluminum are non-existent in a meaningful way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The modelling is quite intuitive but I recommend taking the training to learn the paradigm of workspaces and file management.

I am delivering professional engineering documentation for manufacturing as well as technical diagrams used in product literature. Using this product allows me to communicate new design intent to my client before prototypes are built.

"Superior cad for everyone"

What do you like best?

Like? I absolutelu love it!

- 100% Cloud based, zero manual updates, zero installs

- Innovative multi-part studios

- The most stable cad on the market (zero work lost in 3+ years)

- Superior support with team who actually listen to their customers

- Friendly and helpful user forums

- Frequent updates with most wanted features

- Affordable

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike. You can hide the features you don't need and software doesn't force you to do anything. Onshape can be used in many ways and there's no right or wrong, just do whatever suits the current project.

It is still lacking few needed features but they are 'in-the-pipe' though.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have stable internet with the speed of 3G or faster, I'd say give it a fair try.

It is different from other cads so don't begin with work project under schedule rather take some old project and take your time to recreate with Onshape style. Be open minded and ENJOY!

Get into friendly community, discuss, ask questions and help others, HAVE FUN!

We use Onshape for everything from simple 2D geometry drawings to full 3D models of factory production layout. Cloud serves us with enough resources to manipulate large detailed assemblies with ease.

Our everyday work includes furniture design and creating detailed assembly instructions. Every other day we receive all sort of cad files (solid works, dwgs, step files etc..) for reference which we need to be able to efficiently use as a base for furniture quotation or it might be a cnc machine we need to mount into our factory layout. Onshape is not perfect for all these tasks, but as a small company we can't have dedicated software for each task and Onshape is the best we have found to serve us overall and get things properly done.

Onshape Pricing